• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Wings of Reprisal

[class=tooltipContainer] display: inline; position: relative; [/class] [class=tooltipBoxContainer] display: inline-block; opacity: 0; position: absolute; height: 100%; text-align: center; transition: opacity 0.4s; transition-delay: 0s; width: 100%; [/class] [class name=tooltipBoxContainer state=hover] opacity: 1; transition-delay: 0.8s; [/class] [class name=tooltipBox] background-color: white; border: solid 1px #888; box-shadow: 3px 3px 3px #555; color: #666; display: inline-block; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; padding: 2px 5px; pointer-events: none; text-align: center; [/class] That's a lot of dialogue.Bowie's expression began to soften as he sheathed his rapier and crouched to a knee, putting himself level with the young man before him.

"Don't worry, Kiran," the Ace began, "I'm not going to hurt you, but there's some answers I need before we each head our separate ways. You don't have to worry about your father either, as we should be done long before he'll be in any kind of danger."

After patiently waiting for the man to nod, Bowie proceeded with his first question, "What are you two doing in this cave specifically?"

Kiran's pose relaxed slightly as he answered with "It was intended to be another hunting contract for us - tracking down a beast and getting rid of it by whatever means possible."

"What beast? What means? Could you elaborate just a little bit?" The apprehension could easily be felt in Bowie's voice.

"One of the heads of the local villages told us he had seen a feathered, flying creature, a gryphon, roaming the nearby skies once or twice, and he was worried about the threat it posed to the region. He offered to pay us generously if we killed it and brought its head back."

Unknowingly and without any conscious input, the Ace's hands were clenched into fists, gradually becoming lighter in color. Kiran's eyes briefly shifted to note this, but he didn't seen visibly troubled by the fact for now.

"Did he ever say whether or not this gryphon had done anything other than fly around?" Bowie tensely queried. "Did this gryphon kill anybody, steal any livestock, or attack any of the villages? Or is flying a crime these days?"

Kiran shook his head. "The village head told us nothing beyond that, but he was the only one of the villagers who was insistent that we deal with this future, potential threat in the region. Perhaps he was merely being paranoid, but those kinds of people are part of how father and I scraped through some of our harder years. So we accepted the contract and began tracking the gryphon to its nest."

"What... what happened when you found the gryphon?" It was trepidation that caused Bowie to avert his gaze slightly and stand up, pacing around the corridor with his arms crossed.

"Tell me why you were trying to kill us first," Kiran demanded after a shake of his head.

"No," the Ace tersely responded. "Answer my question."

The young man's eyes were defiant now. "Why won't you answer even one of mine? You tried to kill me, but almost ended my father's life instead. Why do you care about this gryphon so much?"

"I needed this gryphon alive," Bowie answered. "I attacked you because I had a faint guess as to how you were going to answer this next question, but fortunately for you two I've decided it's best to hold back for now. Will you please answer my question, now?"

Kiran sighed, relaxing once again before continuing. "Father and I found the entrance and waited, under cover of rain and mud, until the gryphon finally landed and went inside. As we followed it inside, it began screeching erratically, as if searching for someone. We used the noise to cover our own until the moment our blades fell upon the beast, and it began to retreat further inside. Marcus went ahead of me, certain the gryphon had been cornered - but somehow, it had gotten away. Strange, because from the way the bloodstains looked it seemed like the gryphon simply walked through the end of the cave."

While Kiran recounted the events in the caverns, Bowie studied his face closely, watching for any telltale signs of deception, but there was nothing off in his expression. It seemed the man was being truthful.

"That's all I can tell you at this point," Kiran concluded. "Are you done? Can you heal my father now?"

"I'm done now," Bowie affirmed. "Thank you, Kiran. You've told me everything I needed to know."

Before Bowie heads into the next room, what does he do with Kiran and Marcus?
Mouse over or tap each of the options to receive tooltips with additional information.

A. [div class=tooltipContainer][div class=tooltipBoxContainer][div class=tooltipBox]Their weapons are their livelihood, as well as their only means of defense. But they'll find another way to get by.[/div][/div]Allow them to leave the cavern - without either of their greatswords.[/div]

B. [div class=tooltipContainer][div class=tooltipBoxContainer][div class=tooltipBox]Feeling a little generous today? It'll keep them from coming back, at least.[/div][/div]Allow them to take their weapons and leave the cavern.[/div]

C. [div class=tooltipContainer][div class=tooltipBoxContainer][div class=tooltipBox]Bowie's not finished deciding what to do with these two until he sees the rest of the story behind the illusory stone.[/div][/div]Make sure the two are face-down on the ground and bind their legs together.[/div]

D. [div class=tooltipContainer][div class=tooltipBoxContainer][div class=tooltipBox]They killed Zynisira for no reason other than to line their pockets with the village's reward. Why do they deserve to live any longer?[/div][/div]Give Kiran and Marcus one final glance before executing them both.[/div]

latest
latest
latest

Bowie
latest
aerok because of the human alias, this doesn't matter right now
latest
latest
latest
ace one of the five master combatants and gryphon riders from the distant northern reaches
latest
wildcard skilled in many forms of magic, though arcane illusions are bowie's preference
latest
hummingbird ancient rapier used by aces for magic conduction or toe-to-toe swordplay
latest
zwilla deadly wind dagger that slices armor like it's nothing
latest
greathorn garment this cape enhances bowie's stealth abilities
latest
deck of cards an ideal way to pass the time or wager goods
Abilities
latest
90%
latest
20%
latest
90%
latest
10%
latest
latest

all abilities (except parry) cost an additional 2
latest
when used to interrupt
latest
reprisal (passive) you counter-attack when a foe misses, which they will often
latest
perception (passive) accurate reading of enemy movements prevents them from evading easily
latest
alias bowie's still got it after all, even under the disguise
latest
ghost sound create a short, distracting sound of your choice at a distant location
latest
meditate restore all your
latest
, first round only. you can only parry while meditating, and at a doubled
latest
cost
latest
parry (
latest
2) interrupt any melee or ranged attack by slashing it aside with your rapier. parrying a powerful attack costs up to double

B. Well they pretty much told us what we wanted, so I suppose it's only fair to let them go. The thought of confiscating their weapons crossed my mind briefly, but i'd prefer it if they didn't get themselves killed outside.

Last edited:
I was debating between B , the generous and kind option, and C, the more cautious option. I think I will have to go with B because we should at least know what happened behind the wall before deciding what to do with these two.

I was debating between B , the generous and kind option, and C, the more cautious option. I think I will have to go with B because we should at least know what happened behind the wall before deciding what to do with these two.
If you want to know what happened at the very end of the cavern before deciding what happens to those guys, are you sure you want to choose B instead of C?

If you want to know what happened at the very end of the cavern before deciding what happens to those guys, are you sure you want to choose B instead of C?
Oops, I meant C. Bit ashamed to say that I find myself doing this often lmao

(OLD OPTION) There's a good reason why the Aerok kill any outsiders that encounter them. Any information that leaks out may come to bite them back in the ass in the long run and I don't want to be the one responsible for that. As cruel as this decision may sound, it may be necessary to murder both father and son to preserve national security. You're not about to sacrifice the many for the lives of the few, especially when these people could very well be your enemies.

Last edited:
D. There's a good reason why the Aerok kill any outsiders that encounter them. Any information that leaks out may come to bite them back in the ass in the long run and I don't want to be the one responsible for that. As cruel as this decision may sound, it may be necessary to murder both father and son to preserve national security. You're not about to sacrifice the many for the lives of the few, especially when these people could very well be your enemies.
There is no threat to the Aerok and no need to kill anyone for that reason, at least not yet. Bowie does his job just as well as the other Aces, and if he sensed this was the issue there wouldn't be any choice in the matter.

Other races do not know about the Aerok and have no reason to suspect this race even exists, so these two couldn't have been coming to look for secrets. The main reason to select D is because, as the tooltip mentioned, they probably killed Zynisira for nothing but money and Bowie's going to make sure they get what they deserve.

Make sure to let me know if you're sticking with this choice or if it's changing.

There is no threat to the Aerok and no need to kill anyone for that reason, at least not yet. Bowie does his job just as well as the other Aces, and if he sensed this was the issue there wouldn't be any choice in the matter.

Other races do not know about the Aerok and have no reason to suspect this race even exists, so these two couldn't have been coming to look for secrets. The main reason to select D is because, as the tooltip mentioned, they probably killed Zynisira for nothing but money and Bowie's going to make sure they get what they deserve.

Make sure to let me know if you're sticking with this choice or if it's changing.

B. Well, if state secrets aren't in danger then we might as well let them go.

[class=tooltipContainer] display: inline; position: relative; [/class] [class=tooltipBoxContainer] display: inline-block; opacity: 0; position: absolute; height: 100%; text-align: center; transition: opacity 0.4s; transition-delay: 0s; width: 100%; [/class] [class name=tooltipBoxContainer state=hover] opacity: 1; transition-delay: 0.8s; [/class] [class name=tooltipBox] background-color: white; border: solid 1px #888; box-shadow: 3px 3px 3px #555; color: #666; display: inline-block; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; padding: 2px 5px; pointer-events: none; text-align: center; [/class] The amount of trepidation in Bowie's eyes was unclear, but he was satisfied enough by Kiran's answers that he whispered shortly afterwards, releasing the magical bindings from both of the men.

"Take care of your father's wounds," the Ace quietly ordered. "Take your swords and leave when you're done."

Kiran immediately shot to his feet and ran over to Marcus, producing various bandages and medicinal herbs from beneath his cloak as he dropped to his knees once again in order to treat the deep, slowly bleeding cuts along his father's body. Though the bearded warrior seemed pale and unwilling to stir, Kiran had quickly turned him over to reveal the rising and falling motion of his chest, indicating he would be fine for now.

The young man turned towards Bowie, grateful. At least, as grateful as one could be after witnessing what had happened to his father. "You had every intention of killing Father and I earlier, but now you've decided to spare us. Why is that?"

"I did try to kill at least one of you in the beginning," the swordsman concurred. "I only needed one to answer the questions I had, but since I wasn't able to manage that I decided mercy was an option after all. Trust me, though, when I say you'll want to be as far away from this cave as possible - because I don't think I'm going to have any more mercy to spare after you two are gone."

Upon hearing the last few words, Kiran glanced in his former captor's direction, curiosity tinting his eyes. "There's something behind the back of this cave after all, isn't there?"

"I'm not in the mood to respond to any of your questions right now," Bowie replied irritably. "Believe me, you do not want to know what I'll do to you two if I see you anywhere around these caverns when I'm finished here. Have you patched up your father yet?"

"Yes, I'm done for now," Kiran sighed. "I suppose I can take care of the rest when we're outside. Thank you for sparing us."

After patiently watching Kiran struggle to carry Marcus, shoulder both their greatswords, and eventually make his way outside, Bowie listened for another several minutes until he was certain the two were gone, then quickly 'peeled' back the illusionary back wall with a magical touch from his left hand before stepping through and setting the stone back in place.

___

As the cavernous corridor slowly began to widen into a large stony chamber, Bowie started to feel the weight of his breath as he glanced at the light trail of blood and droplets he was following. While he was hoping to remain optimistic, the Ace's mind occasionally shifted into distressing depictions of what could possibly be Zynisira's fate - what Bowie would see if he kept going. He needed to know, though. Perhaps he could save her.

The chamber wasn't quite massive, but it certainly provided more than enough room for a gryphon or two. Somehow, the place seemed well-furnished for a cave, with various objects and collections of stone, metal objects, and the occasional gemstone littering the edges of the room. Some were arranged crudely, and others clearly had some level of thought and imagination put into their appearance, especially near the very back end of the chamber, where a hastily-written message was carved.

Bowie's sight had taken an exceptionally long time to adjust to the rest of the cavern, and once it finally came into view he remembered the trail of blood in front of him, which had taken on less of a straight path and more of a jagged, uneven line, as if whoever left it had begun staggering - had lost too much blood, potentially. The Ace's eyes slowly followed the red trail, moving along the path as it suddenly veered towards the left wall of the chamber. His eyes widened immensely as they finally fell upon the gryphon the trail belonged to.

Her back was turned to Bowie. There was no recognizable part of her through any of her wounds, nor through any of the crimson.

There was so much blood.

... Why?
It's too much for Bowie to handle right now. He can't think clearly. Perhaps the tooltips will be of some help here.

A. [div class=tooltipContainer][div class=tooltipBoxContainer][div class=tooltipBox]In her handwriting...[/div][/div]Message.[/div]

B. [div class=tooltipContainer][div class=tooltipBoxContainer][div class=tooltipBox]Can't be her...[/div][/div]Gryphon.[/div]

C.
latest
[div class=tooltipContainer][div class=tooltipBoxContainer][div class=tooltipBox]"It's me, Bowie..."[/div][/div]No disguises, here.[/div] (Select another option along with this one.)

D. [div class=tooltipContainer][div class=tooltipBoxContainer][div class=tooltipBox]Just think...[/div][/div]Breathe deeply.[/div] (Write-in. Use whatever reasoning you need, but the write-in itself shouldn't be any more than three words.)

latest
latest
latest
latest

Bowie
latest
aerok because of the human alias, this doesn't matter right now
latest
latest
latest
ace one of the five master combatants and gryphon riders from the distant northern reaches
latest
wildcard skilled in many forms of magic, though arcane illusions are bowie's preference
latest
hummingbird ancient rapier used by aces for magic conduction or toe-to-toe swordplay
latest
zwilla deadly wind dagger that slices armor like it's nothing
latest
greathorn garment this cape enhances bowie's stealth abilities
latest
deck of cards an ideal way to pass the time or wager goods
Abilities
latest
90%
latest
20%
latest
90%
latest
10%
latest
latest

all abilities (except parry) cost an additional 2
latest
when used to interrupt
latest
reprisal (passive) you counter-attack when a foe misses, which they will often
latest
perception (passive) accurate reading of enemy movements prevents them from evading easily
latest
alias she wouldn't want to see bowie like this
latest
ghost sound create a short, distracting sound of your choice at a distant location
latest
meditate restore all your
latest
, first round only. you can only parry while meditating, and at a doubled
latest
cost
latest
parry (
latest
2) interrupt any melee or ranged attack by slashing it aside with your rapier. parrying a powerful attack costs up to double

If she took the time to scribble a message, we should take the time to read it. Also the first rule of first aid is that you check the surroundings for danger - your own well-being should come first - before attending to the person (in this case gryphon) that is down.

A.

(Ah, sorry. It's carved. Same effect and my vote stays the same.)

Last edited:
If she took the time to scribble a message with her blood, we should take the time to read it.

A.
Wasn't written in blood, there's no blood anywhere near the back of the chamber, and if you're also interested, I haven't yet specified whether or not the gryphon is alive or dead. Can't tell, yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back