• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Visian Academy OOC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Alrighty. Here's a revised thingy on shades. I got some extra inspiration from stuff like Tokyo Ghoul cough UKAKU KAGUNE cough, but it's not really in the lore yet. As I'm trying to figure out how to not seem like a ridiculously anime progression. xD.

Lore of Shade Race:
Shades are… almost like ghosts, in a way. No, more like vampires. Consider them pseudo-undead.

Shades appear like humans, albeit with deathly pale skin, blue eyes and black sclera, and black hair that fades like shadow dissolving like mist at the ends. Aside from these universal traits, shades look almost human, with all their differences and quirks.

How shades come to be is a mystery; it’s universally agreed that shades used to be… normal people. They have the appearance of their ‘past’ life; however, they have almost no memories of their previous life, aside from how they looked originally, and sometimes their first name. The rest is cloaked in a literal wall of shadow; in a shade’s mind, their past life is blocked by a black fog. From time to time, glimpses of their past life can happen, but most of the time, it is a frustrating glimpse of what they ‘were’, or more morosely, what they ‘maybe were.’

Shades are classified as pseudo-undead, and not undead, because of a variety of reasons: One, every divination spell or necromantic spell never identifies them as their original self. Two, while holy magic/positive energy doesn’t exactly harm them, nor does it help them, like what it does with most living beings. Furthermore, they can hold silver, and silver doesn’t harm them like it does with undead. Thirdly, and most importantly, they don’t register as undead to detection divination spells.

Abilities:
Shades have a variety of abilities, though many of these abilities evolve and develop over time.
Every shade, even newborn shades, have four abilities: The ability to assume the form of their ‘past’ life (Aka, changing skin color, eye color, and hair color.); the ability to manipulate shadow, albeit in a limited form (Namely, forming weapons of darkness.); being able to blur with shadows; and darkvision.

Over time, shades develop more powers over time: a first landmark is being able to teleport from shadow to shadow in line of sight. The actual action of entering teleportation takes some time- as they effectively fade/merge into a surface, and reappear much the same way; but the travel itself is instantaneous.

Despite these abilities, shades have weaknesses associated with them as well. They are especially vulnerable to detect magic; it is near impossible for them to hide from divination spells, though not in the way one would think. It is easy to locate them based on the aura they give; a shade’s aura is so strong, it turns any scying divination into a mass of blank shadows. For example, if one were to scry on a place where a shade is at, the shade would appear as a black blur on the otherwise flawless scrying view. Another weakness they have is that the sun actually hurts their eyes; it is not prohibitively blinding, as is common with Drow and Orcs, but it is enough to affect their combat somewhat. A third weakness that they have is that any healing spell does not affect a shade. Period. A fourth weakness is that their shadow weaponry requires two things in order to form: an actual shadow projected- i.e, a light to form shadow- to take from in order to form that weapon (This applies to the eventual shadow teleportation as well), and a few seconds to form the weapon (The time varies with skill and practice, but generally, eight seconds is the norm.)

I really think I need a better format for this. xD.

Just in case I wasn't clear and rambled on and made answering your questions unclear...

1. It's supposed to be a mystery, but overall, I imagine it as a natural occurrence. What I'm going here for is uncertainty in this matter: Are they undead, or clones of the dead person? No one really knows.

2. Added some limitations to the abilities; for the shadow weapons, I put in that it does require light to form a shadow; using DnD terms, it must be 'Dim light', and 'Dim light' only. Furthermore, I also added a summoning time to the weapon. Not necessarily a cap, as, well... 🤷‍♂️ I based this ability off of Pathfinder's Gloomblade (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/co...chetypes/gloomblade-fighter-archetype/)/DnD's Pact of the Blade Warlock (Roll20), and neither really give cap limits to how many times this can be used. What they do give, however, is the time needed to form these weapons. I based it off of a full round action (six seconds), and added two seconds. If you need more limits, please let me know.

3. Shadow Blur limitation: Yes, they can be detected by magic; as stated in the revised lore, scrying sees them as a black smudge on an otherwise perfect video/picture, and untold, detection senses a chilling cold from them (Yet it also clearly doesn't mark them as undead. It's just that it's very confusing when trying to detect if a shade is living.)

Alrighty. Here's a revised thingy on shades. I got some extra inspiration from stuff like Tokyo Ghoul cough UKAKU KAGUNE cough, but it's not really in the lore yet. As I'm trying to figure out how to not seem like a ridiculously anime progression. xD.

Lore of Shade Race:
Shades are… almost like ghosts, in a way. No, more like vampires. Consider them pseudo-undead.

Shades appear like humans, albeit with deathly pale skin, blue eyes and black sclera, and black hair that fades like shadow dissolving like mist at the ends. Aside from these universal traits, shades look almost human, with all their differences and quirks.

How shades come to be is a mystery; it’s universally agreed that shades used to be… normal people. They have the appearance of their ‘past’ life; however, they have almost no memories of their previous life, aside from how they looked originally, and sometimes their first name. The rest is cloaked in a literal wall of shadow; in a shade’s mind, their past life is blocked by a black fog. From time to time, glimpses of their past life can happen, but most of the time, it is a frustrating glimpse of what they ‘were’, or more morosely, what they ‘maybe were.’

Shades are classified as pseudo-undead, and not undead, because of a variety of reasons: One, every divination spell or necromantic spell never identifies them as their original self. Two, while holy magic/positive energy doesn’t exactly harm them, nor does it help them, like what it does with most living beings. Furthermore, they can hold silver, and silver doesn’t harm them like it does with undead. Thirdly, and most importantly, they don’t register as undead to detection divination spells.

Abilities:
Shades have a variety of abilities, though many of these abilities evolve and develop over time.
Every shade, even newborn shades, have four abilities: The ability to assume the form of their ‘past’ life (Aka, changing skin color, eye color, and hair color.); the ability to manipulate shadow, albeit in a limited form (Namely, forming weapons of darkness.); being able to blur with shadows; and darkvision.

Over time, shades develop more powers over time: a first landmark is being able to teleport from shadow to shadow in line of sight. The actual action of entering teleportation takes some time- as they effectively fade/merge into a surface, and reappear much the same way; but the travel itself is instantaneous.

Despite these abilities, shades have weaknesses associated with them as well. They are especially vulnerable to detect magic; it is near impossible for them to hide from divination spells, though not in the way one would think. It is easy to locate them based on the aura they give; a shade’s aura is so strong, it turns any scying divination into a mass of blank shadows. For example, if one were to scry on a place where a shade is at, the shade would appear as a black blur on the otherwise flawless scrying view. Another weakness they have is that the sun actually hurts their eyes; it is not prohibitively blinding, as is common with Drow and Orcs, but it is enough to affect their combat somewhat. A third weakness that they have is that any healing spell does not affect a shade. Period. A fourth weakness is that their shadow weaponry requires two things in order to form: an actual shadow projected- i.e, a light to form shadow- to take from in order to form that weapon (This applies to the eventual shadow teleportation as well), and a few seconds to form the weapon (The time varies with skill and practice, but generally, eight seconds is the norm.)

I really think I need a better format for this. xD.

Just in case I wasn't clear and rambled on and made answering your questions unclear...

1. It's supposed to be a mystery, but overall, I imagine it as a natural occurrence. What I'm going here for is uncertainty in this matter: Are they undead, or clones of the dead person? No one really knows.

2. Added some limitations to the abilities; for the shadow weapons, I put in that it does require light to form a shadow; using DnD terms, it must be 'Dim light', and 'Dim light' only. Furthermore, I also added a summoning time to the weapon. Not necessarily a cap, as, well... 🤷‍♂️ I based this ability off of Pathfinder's Gloomblade (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo-fighter-archetypes/gloomblade-fighter-archetype/)/DnD's Pact of the Blade Warlock (Roll20), and neither really give cap limits to how many times this can be used. What they do give, however, is the time needed to form these weapons. I based it off of a full round action (six seconds), and added two seconds. If you need more limits, please let me know.

3. Shadow Blur limitation: Yes, they can be detected by magic; as stated in the revised lore, scrying sees them as a black smudge on an otherwise perfect video/picture, and untold, detection senses a chilling cold from them (Yet it also clearly doesn't mark them as undead. It's just that it's very confusing when trying to detect if a shade is living.)
The entire mod team loves how much thought you've put into this, darkborn. I'm really excited to see the character sheet now! The only thing I might add is that maybe excessive use of manipulating the shadows into weapons can make your shade tired over time. Other than that, loving this entire concept. We'll be starting on Friday, so the sooner the better!

Dante Verren Dante Verren Hey I've looked over the sheet and just wanted to find out what you were thinking for how damaging the shockwaves would be?
I knew there was something I was forgetting to put down. At it's current state the ability is something he uses to get in close for physical hits. It's actual damaging capabilities is less then stellar. At it's strongest form at pointblank it could do one of two things 1. Depending on where the blast is aimed at it could crack a few of bones but the only ones that would actually suffer serious damage are weaker bones that break easier. 2. Another use for it could be a stun effect if fired off next to someones ear, so essentially like a stun grenade. In that case it could cause decent damage to the ears and some hearing loss (Hence the mention of possible hearing troubles on his cs). but it would not be enough to be even close to fatal.

Not only did Dante Verren Dante Verren create a quality char in a short amount of time, but he even accomplished the HOT ANIME BOY PREREQUISITE? I won't lie, I'm a little proud.
Thank you, I try.

I knew there was something I was forgetting to put down. At it's current state the ability is something he uses to get in close for physical hits. It's actual damaging capabilities is less then stellar. At it's strongest form at pointblank it could do one of two things 1. Depending on where the blast is aimed at it could crack a few of bones but the only ones that would actually suffer serious damage are weaker bones that break easier. 2. Another use for it could be a stun effect if fired off next to someones ear, so essentially like a stun grenade. In that case it could cause decent damage to the ears and some hearing loss (Hence the mention of possible hearing troubles on his cs). but it would not be enough to be even close to fatal.

Thank you, I try.
Awesome if you add that into the CS It should be good to go!

Hiii just a little question here: how will the atmosphere of the RP be approximately be? From what I've read (the lore and cses) I kinda think it might be a bit...dark? I'm fine with dark, but just how dark is it? Kinda wanna put a balance with my current rps and find lighter ones hehe ^^;;

I feel like it has the potential to be dark, but I think it depends on how everyone gets along with each other.

If I make it single shot and change the ammunition to cannon balls, can I keep the cannon?
And maybe the Armor?
Alright, I'll explain the exact issues we have with the CS, so I hope this helps. We want to have you guys in the RP, but we need to address some issues with how your characters impact the narrative we have written up.

First, it's important to note that technology is not advanced enough to have an android, sadly. Even with a brilliant mind, the materials needed for one is not obtainable as the world is currently. To put it simply, it's too scientific for a medieval setting. A good comparison to what sort of technology Alenia does possess goes to the extent of, say, the Dwemer from Skyrim. Machines built to protect, but do not have sentience. They are husks devoid of feelings. I'm sorry to say this, but we can't accept the android at all. It conflicts too much, and I don't think Axe would want to play as a mindless puppet.

Secondly, while being an inventor is fine, we have the issue with the android portion of the background. If you altered that to be more along the lines of simple constructs built to defend their home, that's a different story. They wouldn't be capable of different attack methods or utilizing magic, such as creating flame geysers. Also, we didn't have issues with the launcher as we did the armor. Is the armor just normal armor with runes etched into it? Also, we would like to know the extent of the runes. How much does it buff a person and are there any limitations, such as overexertion?

As an alternative to the android, we do accept the idea of a magical construct. It's essentially a machine with a soul trapped inside of it. That's the closest thing to a non-living being having a personality, but the personality would be that of a person once sentient. It can't be created. Also, they'd need to be charged solely on raw magic, meaning that electricity isn't a viable charging option. You'd have to have the creator directly power them with their magic outside of battle, and it'd still take a while to fully recharge them. Oh, and as a disclaimer, they can have different personalities, but we don't accept different fighting styles without a detailed explanation of what they can do. Also, no lava geysers. That sounds very dangerous.

We hope this gives you an idea of what we're looking for!

Alright, I'll explain the exact issues we have with the CS, so I hope this helps. We want to have you guys in the RP, but we need to address some issues with how your characters impact the narrative we have written up.

First, it's important to note that technology is not advanced enough to have an android, sadly. Even with a brilliant mind, the materials needed for one is not obtainable as the world is currently. To put it simply, it's too scientific for a medieval setting. A good comparison to what sort of technology Alenia does possess goes to the extent of, say, the Dwemer from Skyrim. Machines built to protect, but do not have sentience. They are husks devoid of feelings. I'm sorry to say this, but we can't accept the android at all. It conflicts too much, and I don't think Axe would want to play as a mindless puppet.

Secondly, while being an inventor is fine, we have the issue with the android portion of the background. If you altered that to be more along the lines of simple constructs built to defend their home, that's a different story. They wouldn't be capable of different attack methods or utilizing magic, such as creating flame geysers. Also, we didn't have issues with the launcher as we did the armor. Is the armor just normal armor with runes etched into it? Also, we would like to know the extent of the runes. How much does it buff a person and are there any limitations, such as overexertion?

As an alternative to the android, we do accept the idea of a magical construct. It's essentially a machine with a soul trapped inside of it. That's the closest thing to a non-living being having a personality, but the personality would be that of a person once sentient. It can't be created. Also, they'd need to be charged solely on raw magic, meaning that electricity isn't a viable charging option. You'd have to have the creator directly power them with their magic outside of battle, and it'd still take a while to fully recharge them. Oh, and as a disclaimer, they can have different personalities, but we don't accept different fighting styles without a detailed explanation of what they can do. Also, no lava geysers. That sounds very dangerous.

We hope this gives you an idea of what we're looking for!

I can talk to Axel about their character later. They already expressed their willingness to swap to simply Human though.

I can flesh out Runes by giving them a time limit or a specified boost when I fix Izevel's Backstory. And yes, the Armor is supposed to be relatively normal, it just has a Rune to help strengthen its durability to prevent it from breaking.

Also, do I need to change the Cannon specs to the Single Shot Variant?
Or is it alright for it to hold four bombs?
If they want to be human, that's perfectly fine! We wanted to give some options. If you can give them a specified boost and just mention that the armor is not invulnerable, then we're good on that end, too. The cannon can hold four bombs, that's fine. Thanks for being so understanding.

If they want to be human, that's perfectly fine! We wanted to give some options. If you can give them a specified boost and just mention that the armor is not invulnerable, then we're good on that end, too. The cannon can hold four bombs, that's fine. Thanks for being so understanding.

No problem. Thank you for being lenient with the Cannon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back