• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic πš…π™Έπ™Ύπ™»π™΄π™½πšƒ πš„π™Ώπ™±πšπ™Έπ™½π™Άπ™Έπ™½π™Ά -- 𝖺 π—Œπ—Žπ—‰π–Ύπ—‹π—‰π—ˆπ—π–Ύπ—‹π–Ύπ–½ π—Œπ–Όπ—π—ˆπ—ˆπ—… π–Ύπ—Œπ–Όπ–Ίπ—‰π–Ύ 𝗋𝗉 (closed)

cablebelly

well poised
β€” VIOLENT UPBRINGING
a superpowered school escape.
01. premise.
The year is 2079, and superpowers exist.

In 2018, this fact was revealed to the world. That superpowers have existed for as long as humans have been on this earth, right under the nose of your average citizen. The superpower world bloomed in the dark, and once it was brought to light, the world was changed forevermore. First, there was panic, and fear. For the things that people could not understand, or did not want to. But it became increasingly obvious that those with superpowers - metahumans, were here to stay. Especially so when superheroes made themselves known.

Try as they might, the public could not ignore their admiration for the suit-clad figures that began to do good deeds on their TV screens. Superheroism became a way of life, all that was once worshipped in the comic books now a real vision before their eyes. Without the rise of superheroes, the public surely would not have wanted to tolerate metahumans half as much as they did. But there was no denying the good they did, and as time went on, the world grew healthy and happy. Each country boasted it’s champions, and while superpowered villains arose, more superheroes came in their wake to stomp them out.

Now, we call our modern age, nearing the twenty second century, the Superhero Era. Prosperous, gleaming and sparkling, the superhero lifestyle is a serious profession more than ever. So enchanted with the figureheads the media boasts of every day, many have forgotten the evil that lurks in the dark, wanting to capitalize on the power that metahumans hold. This evil, thought to have been extinguished, rests in the hands of clinical tools, white lab coats, and far away outposts where unspeakable deeds are committed.

Before the world knew of metahumans, the Research Lab of the Physically and Mentally Enhanced, or, the RPME, caught metahumans in the dead of night when the world knew not of their existence. Their hunger for knowledge and power knew no bounds, and it did not matter how young an innocent metahuman might be, they were never safe from the grips of the RPME. When metahumans came to light, the RPME tried to sway the public opinion in their favor, but were exposed for their inhumane crimes and the torture of countless innocent metahumans. As the decades went on, superpowers were welcomed in the public eye, but in the private eye, tensions still rose.

Though advancements were rampant, and superheroes played on the big screen at all hours of the day, children with powers too unruly for normal parents to tame exist. Children with no support for abilities they don’t understand, and while their peers may love those in stars and stripes on the TV, they won’t much like a weirdo metahuman sitting beside them in the classroom. People are desperate. To wrangle their children, be a normal family again, or perhaps the children are the ones desperate to be somewhere they’re not the freak.

The letter comes like a gift from above. Vochertepp’s School for the Enhanced promises a boarding school where such a child would thrive. With classes taught by metahumans just like them, Vochertepp is a remote establishment where students would have no fear of harming the non-enhanced around them in a normal school. With all expenses paid for, the school claims to be the result of wealthy donors who care for the metahuman children of this country, and if you had any other options, they look pale in comparison.

You are cut off from the rest of the world, powerful but powerless, and alone. Whether you like it or not, you are in the belly of the beast. Will you try to break free?

02. introduction.
hi there! thanks for checking this out, my name's cloudy (or cable) and i'm very excited to bring this roleplay to you! this stems from a superpower universe of my own design that i've run games in for quite a few years now. this is a plotline i've never run before so i'm excited to give it a shot on rpn, but as for this universe, i'm very in tune with it and have a lot of lore to share with you all. as you could probably see, it took a moment to get to the actual plotline of this roleplay because the world that it's set in is (kinda) specific to my design. of course, i'm influenced by the big ones like marvel and dc and whatnot, but the progression of the metahuman prominence in the world is unique to this universe.

Violent Upbringing will center on a group of teenage metahumans who have been shipped off to Vochertepp's School for the Enhanced. whatever the circumstances are that led them there, be it of their own volition, their parents shipped them there, or some other tie, they are going to uncover who truly runs this school, and for what nefarious purposes. the school is a k-12 school, but i think it'd be best if we kept characters in the 15+ range. you're also going to be able to have characters that are lightly into their late teens/young twenties as ta's, perhaps held back students, or similar situations like that. these characters, of course, will have a different outlook compared to characters that are younger and newer to the school, so when creating a character, consider how jaded you want them to be to the situation at hand. Vochertepp promises heroism contracts with the government to prolific graduating students, and especially favors those who are the most obedient and cause the least amount of ruckus, while the ones who are more outgoing in their distaste... seem to come back from a counselor's meeting a little subdued, or never come back at all.

superpowers are all over the place in 2079, so i'm hoping to see some creative ones! of course, nothing wrong with the classics, but i'd like to introduce to you a concept that exists in the world called hybrids. in this universe, there is a mutant gene similar to in the xmen universe, and when two mutants have children, you can have some interestingly powered kids. my character, for example, comes from a long line of mutants that comprise mostly of darkness manipulation and rapid healing, so he's got an interesting combo of the two. get spicy with it! there's a lot of room for you to play with your character's lineage, how it's culminated in their abilities, their circumstances leading up to coming to the school, and how they feel about this very superpowered world they live in.

im going to try a bit of an alternative application method where instead of an ooc/cs place, we'll work in a character creation thread where i'll have everyone upload a basic skeleton cs. this basic cs will include a description of your character's powers, a small blurb of their background and personality. i'll workshop it a bit with you or approve it for the next phase, which will be a full length cs that you pm me once you're finished. the basic skeleton is going to be done publicly so we can see what everyone's brewing, and then later on i'll make a separate thread for the fully completed character sheets!

if you have any further questions or want to bounce character ideas off me, shoot me a pm in which i will gladly give you my discord!

03. rules.
RULE 01. this is a roleplay of detailed nature. what this means to me is a usual 3-4 paragraph minimum of at least a few hundred words, but past the specific mechanics of such requirements, it means people of advanced writing who will not only be giving good detail for others to respond to in their posts, but communicative and active in ooc chatter. i want us to be plotting, planning, and developing relationships together as much as possible. c:

RULE 02. because we will be exploring some crueler and mature themes, i'm going to make this an 18+ roleplay. this will definitely be a roleplay of darker tone, and unfortunate amounts of child abuse, so please be wary.

RULE 03. this is not a first come first serve roleplay. we'll be using a bit of an alternative cs development method so please be sure to read that over in the introduction part! please be aware characters are also going to need to be 15+ even though it is a k-12 school.

RULE 04. i prefer realistic fcs, realistic art is ok, or a description is also fine. no anime please! also, i'm going to keep it to one character per person for the start. this may change down the road!

RULE 05. discord is heavily suggested, if not basically required. i find it extremely vital to be able to communicate in discord as it really keeps the flow and communication thriving. i'll make a discord server once acceptances are out.

RULE 06. post expectations are once per week. the usual, if something comes up, please don't be shy and let me or everyone know, and we'll find a way to keep you in but keep the flow. if you feel you are someone who cannot honestly keep with this pace, this is not the roleplay for you.

RULE 07. superpowers are of course a big part of this roleplay, but i'd like to work in tandem with you to reach something that's comfortable for you to roleplay, fits within the universe parameters, and is not overpowered. i love to gush superpowers, so please feel free to hit my discord or pm me to get a bit of a sense of what i'm about. otherwise, just try to keep it fresh, creative, and not too op! (remember, you're playing as kids, and probably as pretty out of control, violently superpowered kids. have fun, just no mega-gods or whatnot.)

04. snippet of lore.
i'll be sure to spend some time on a more proper lore page, but i wanted to give a bit more about the world, powers, etc.

SUPERPOWERS
can show up either right at birth, puberty, or after a late in life traumatic event. if i had to describe the realm that superpowers in this universe live under, it'd be more "scientific." (which is obviously an oxymoron but hear me out.) this means 'magic' users, a character with a powerset like zatanna perhaps, is not kosher. if you could explain it away with a hybrid mixture of telekinesis, telepathy, and the ability to summon rabbits and doves, i'd be a little more inclined to let it slide, though the last bit would definitely snag! smaller powers like that do exist, and sometimes a metahuman from a long line can get a more watered down power rather than a more volatile one. you might come from a family of animal summoners and find it's just easier for you to converse with one type of specific animal.

> superpowers are brought to light one of three ways.
genetically -- more often than not, metahuman parents make metahuman kids. two metahumans often make interesting hybrid powers. people with a long lineage of mutants can have their powers come from any family member, even as far back as a great great aunt or uncle.
"randomly" -- quotation marks because nothing's random muahah! there are certain circumstances in the world that cause people's mutant gene to awaken, or one to appear entirely new. namely, this is in the form of meteor showers. in the 2010s and 20's there was an increased amount of meteor showers that spiked the number of metahumans from hundreds to hundreds of thousands. meteor showers however are no longer commonplace and you'll find most get their powers from the other two.
forcefully -- some people are lucky (or perhaps unlucky) enough to live their life with the mutant gene and never have it activated. the RPME have developed a method of spotting this dormant gene in certain people, and torturing it out of them. this results in a permanent eye glow. which brings me to my next topic,

eye glow -- every metahuman has a signature color that their eyes glow when they use their powers. this is a glow that encapsulates the entirety of the eye and gives a soft outer hue. it's an important part of identifying your character, and imo, super fun to think about. there are a few certain eye colors that have spooky lore purposes, which are off limits, namely, pure white and pure black. a black glow usually means someone of evil nature (supposedly, at least) and a white glow means one of total chaos and unpredictable nature. bright red is also uncommon but not quite off limits, it usually means chaos and danger in a bit of a more hot-tempered way. otherwise, what your character's glow color means is up to you.

another metahuman trait that can happen is the changing of hair colors. when a metahuman "gives in" to their powers, fully believing themselves not worth anything except what they are as a mutant, their hair can begin to change color to match their glow, meaning their hair could naturally turn even the brightest of pinks. some metahumans come out of the womb like this, while others have their hair color change as late in life as their sixties. so yes, live that manic pixie dream life with your naturally colored teal hair. just give me a reason as to why your character's got that going on.

i know i'm talking a lot about making up fun hybrids and long lines of mutant families, but before i get ahead of myself, i have to remind you that while superpowers are loved on tv, they are not so much accepted in day to day life. if you're from a long line of superpowered people, your grandfather was probably still living in hiding, and your parents, if they live openly as metahumans, are probably experiencing some hatred in the neighborhood, especially if you've got showy powers. there is also at this point a metahuman registry, but it's got mixed success rates, and what exactly is a success depends on who you're talking to.

oh gosh, i have a lot more to write about, but this is an interest check and it's also no longer a "snippet." feel free to ask me any questions that come up!

thanks to leviathan for the use of the lovely code!

code by @leviathan.

PREMISE
The year is 2079, and superpowers exist.

In 2018, this fact was revealed to the world. That superpowers have existed for as long as humans have been on this earth, right under the nose of your average citizen. The superpower world bloomed in the dark, and once it was brought to light, the world was changed forevermore. First, there was panic, and fear. For the things that people could not understand, or did not want to. But it became increasingly obvious that those with superpowers - metahumans, were here to stay. Especially so when superheroes made themselves known.

Try as they might, the public could not ignore their admiration for the suit-clad figures that began to do good deeds on their TV screens. Superheroism became a way of life, all that was once worshipped in the comic books now a real vision before their eyes. Without the rise of superheroes, the public surely would not have wanted to tolerate metahumans half as much as they did. But there was no denying the good they did, and as time went on, the world grew healthy and happy. Each country boasted it’s champions, and while superpowered villains arose, more superheroes came in their wake to stomp them out.

Now, we call our modern age, nearing the twenty second century, the Superhero Era. Prosperous, gleaming and sparkling, the superhero lifestyle is a serious profession more than ever. So enchanted with the figureheads the media boasts of every day, many have forgotten the evil that lurks in the dark, wanting to capitalize on the power that metahumans hold. This evil, thought to have been extinguished, rests in the hands of clinical tools, white lab coats, and far away outposts where unspeakable deeds are committed.

Before the world knew of metahumans, the Research Lab of the Physically and Mentally Enhanced, or, the RPME, caught metahumans in the dead of night when the world knew not of their existence. Their hunger for knowledge and power knew no bounds, and it did not matter how young an innocent metahuman might be, they were never safe from the grips of the RPME. When metahumans came to light, the RPME tried to sway the public opinion in their favor, but were exposed for their inhumane crimes and the torture of countless innocent metahumans. As the decades went on, superpowers were welcomed in the public eye, but in the private eye, tensions still rose.

Though advancements were rampant, and superheroes played on the big screen at all hours of the day, children with powers too unruly for normal parents to tame exist. Children with no support for abilities they don’t understand, and while their peers may love those in stars and stripes on the TV, they won’t much like a weirdo metahuman sitting beside them in the classroom. People are desperate. To wrangle their children, be a normal family again, or perhaps the children are the ones desperate to be somewhere they’re not the freak.

The letter comes like a gift from above. Vochertepp’s School for the Enhanced promises a boarding school where such a child would thrive. With classes taught by metahumans just like them, Vochertepp is a remote establishment where students would have no fear of harming the non-enhanced around them in a normal school. With all expenses paid for, the school claims to be the result of wealthy donors who care for the metahuman children of this country, and if you had any other options, they look pale in comparison.

You are cut off from the rest of the world, powerful but powerless, and alone. Whether you like it or not, you are in the belly of the beast. Will you try to break free?

INTRODUCTION

hi there! thanks for checking this out, my name's cloudy (or cable) and i'm very excited to bring this roleplay to you! this stems from a superpower universe of my own design that i've run games in for quite a few years now. this is a plotline i've never run before so i'm excited to give it a shot on rpn, but as for this universe, i'm very in tune with it and have a lot of lore to share with you all. as you could probably see, it took a moment to get to the actual plotline of this roleplay because the world that it's set in is (kinda) specific to my design. of course, i'm influenced by the big ones like marvel and dc and whatnot, but the progression of the metahuman prominence in the world is unique to this universe.

Violent Upbringing will center on a group of teenage metahumans who have been shipped off to Vochertepp's School for the Enhanced. whatever the circumstances are that led them there, be it of their own volition, their parents left them there, or some other tie, they are going to uncover who truly runs this school, and for what nefarious purposes. the school is a k-12 school, but i think it'd be best if we kept characters in the 15+ range. you're also going to be able to have characters that are lightly into their late teens/young twenties as ta's, perhaps held back students, or similar situations like that. these characters, of course, will have a different outlook compared to characters that are younger and newer to the school, so when creating a character, consider how jaded you want them to be to the situation at hand. Vochertepp promises heroism contracts with the government to prolific graduating students, and especially favors those who are the most obedient and cause the least amount of ruckus, while the ones who are more outgoing in their distaste... seem to come back from a counselor's meeting a little subdued, or never come back at all.

superpowers are all over the place in 2079, so i'm hoping to see some creative ones! of course, nothing wrong with the classics, but i'd like to introduce to you a concept that exists in the world called hybrids. in this universe, there is a mutant gene similar to in the xmen universe, and when two mutants have children, you can have some interestingly powered kids. my character, for example, comes from a long line of mutants that comprise mostly of darkness manipulation and rapid healing, so he's got an interesting combo of the two. get spicy with it! there's a lot of room for you to play with your character's lineage, how it's culminated in their abilities, their circumstances leading up to coming to the school, and how they feel about this very superpowered world they live in.

im going to try a bit of an alternative application method where instead of an ooc/cs place, we'll work in a character creation thread where i'll have everyone upload a basic skeleton cs. this basic cs will include a description of your character's powers, a small blurb of their background and personality. i'll workshop it a bit with you or approve it for the next phase, which will be a full length cs that you pm me once you're finished. the basic skeleton is going to be done publicly so we can see what everyone's brewing, and then later on i'll make a separate thread for the fully completed character sheets!

if you have any further questions or want to bounce character ideas off me, shoot me a pm in which i will gladly give you my discord!

RULES

RULE 01. this is a roleplay of detailed nature. what this means to me is a usual 3-4 paragraph minimum of at least a few hundred words, but past the specific mechanics of such requirements, it means people of advanced writing who will not only be giving good detail for others to respond to in their posts, but communicative and active in ooc chatter. i want us to be plotting, planning, and developing relationships together as much as possible. c:

RULE 02. because we will be exploring some crueler and mature themes, i'm going to make this an 18+ roleplay. this will definitely be a roleplay of darker tone, and unfortunate amounts of child abuse, so please be wary.

RULE 03. this is not a first come first serve roleplay. we'll be using a bit of an alternative cs development method so please be sure to read that over in the introduction part! please be aware characters are also going to need to be 15+ even though it is a k-12 school.

RULE 04. i prefer realistic fcs, realistic art is ok, or a description is also fine. no anime please! also, i'm going to keep it to one character per person for the start. this may change down the road!

RULE 05. discord is heavily suggested, if not basically required. i find it extremely vital to be able to communicate in discord as it really keeps the flow and communication thriving. i'll make a discord server once acceptances are out.

RULE 06. post expectations are once per week. the usual, if something comes up, please don't be shy and let me or everyone know, and we'll find a way to keep you in but keep the flow. if you feel you are someone who cannot honestly keep with this pace, this is not the roleplay for you.

RULE 07. superpowers are of course a big part of this roleplay, but i'd like to work in tandem with you to reach something that's comfortable for you to roleplay, fits within the universe parameters, and is not overpowered. i love to gush superpowers, so please feel free to hit my discord or pm me to get a bit of a sense of what i'm about. otherwise, just try to keep it fresh, creative, and not too op! (remember, you're playing as kids, and probably as pretty out of control, violently superpowered kids. have fun, just no mega-gods or whatnot.)

SNIPPET O' LORE

i'll be sure to spend some time on a more proper lore page, but i wanted to give a bit more about the world, powers, etc.

SUPERPOWERS
can show up either right at birth, puberty, or after a late in life traumatic event. if i had to describe the realm that superpowers in this universe live under, it'd be more "scientific." (which is obviously an oxymoron but hear me out.) this means 'magic' users, a character with a powerset like zatanna perhaps, is not kosher. if you could explain it away with a hybrid mixture of telekinesis, telepathy, and the ability to summon rabbits and doves, i'd be a little more inclined to let it slide, though the last bit would definitely snag! smaller powers like that do exist, and sometimes a metahuman from a long line can get a more watered down power rather than a more volatile one. you might come from a family of animal summoners and find it's just easier for you to converse with one type of specific animal.

> superpowers are brought to light one of three ways.
genetically -- more often than not, metahuman parents make metahuman kids. two metahumans often make interesting hybrid powers. people with a long lineage of mutants can have their powers come from any family member, even as far back as a great great aunt or uncle.
"randomly" -- quotation marks because nothing's random muahah! there are certain circumstances in the world that cause people's mutant gene to awaken, or one to appear entirely new. namely, this is in the form of meteor showers. in the 2010s and 20's there was an increased amount of meteor showers that spiked the number of metahumans from hundreds to hundreds of thousands. meteor showers however are no longer commonplace and you'll find most get their powers from the other two.
forcefully -- some people are lucky (or perhaps unlucky) enough to live their life with the mutant gene and never have it activated. the RPME have developed a method of spotting this dormant gene in certain people, and torturing it out of them. this results in a permanent eye glow. which brings me to my next topic,

eye glow -- every metahuman has a signature color that their eyes glow when they use their powers. this is a glow that encapsulates the entirety of the eye and gives a soft outer hue. it's an important part of identifying your character, and imo, super fun to think about. there are a few certain eye colors that have spooky lore purposes, which are off limits, namely, pure white and pure black. a black glow usually means someone of evil nature (supposedly, at least) and a white glow means one of total chaos and unpredictable nature. bright red is also uncommon but not quite off limits, it usually means chaos and danger in a bit of a more hot-tempered way. otherwise, what your character's glow color means is up to you.

another metahuman trait that can happen is the changing of hair colors. when a metahuman "gives in" to their powers, fully believing themselves not worth anything except what they are as a mutant, their hair can begin to change color to match their glow, meaning their hair could naturally turn even the brightest of pinks. some metahumans come out of the womb like this, while others have their hair color change as late in life as their sixties. so yes, live that manic pixie dream life with your naturally colored teal hair. just give me a reason as to why your character's got that going on.

i know i'm talking a lot about making up fun hybrids and long lines of mutant families, but before i get ahead of myself, i have to remind you that while superpowers are loved on tv, they are not so much accepted in day to day life. if you're from a long line of superpowered people, your grandfather was probably still living in hiding, and your parents, if they live openly as metahumans, are probably experiencing some hatred in the neighborhood, especially if you've got showy powers. there is also at this point a metahuman registry, but it's got mixed success rates, and what exactly is a success depends on who you're talking to.

oh gosh, i have a lot more to write about, but this is an interest check and it's also no longer a "snippet." feel free to ask me any questions that come up!

Last edited:
you already know that I am interested its a given

oh this is right up my alley, i'm super duper interested

so excited to see all the interest!! i'm getting started on the lore and will have the character creation station (hah) up within the next day or so.

very interested!

superpowered angsty metateenagers with little grip on their powers coming to learn at a shady ass institution that sends students off to counselors for sneezing the wrong way?

giphy-1.gif

i'm honestly so excited from all the lore snippets on this thread, can't wait to read more about this world!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back