• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Zeth

"And what will you do when you have it?"

The question long avoided, dropped with incredible force on the already tense atmosphere, shattering the conversation into silence between the two figures. One figure that stood tall was incredibly old and swathed in long robes of power and ceremony. He faced a middle-aged man sitting in a chair beside an extinguished fire-pit. Unlike the old man, the sitting figure had only few strands of grey in his beard and hair that was falling in waves to his caped shoulders. The pauldrons beneath the cape were rimmed in silver, keeping the light blue cape in place, giving with their bulk a deceptive appearance of size to the sitting man.

The strain between the two was almost palatable despite the regal size of the meeting chamber. Old man asked and thought of demanding the answer, but decided against it.

With a polite cough and a courteous pat of his robes, he turned away from the fire-pit, looking at the long meeting table with it's empty seats. He reflected upon the matters that were talked over and needed to be done. Neither he nor the Guild can afford unnecessary conflict. He spied the person beside him as they sat casually, the figure' walking stick at rest across the lap and figure' eyes staring forward into the ornate fireplace. He could tell from slight perking of his eyebrows and slight fall of the eyelids across his emerald orbs, that this person was, despite calm demenor and patience, anything but passive. Despite their difference in age and social standing he knew of something that goes around in his mind. How could he not, after all this time?

He released a sigh.

"Look lad, nothing good will come of it. This relic you chase - if it exist - corrupts both the mind and spirit. This quest of yours - how long have you pursued it? Ten? Fifteen years? How long will you spend brooding and investing into matters long gone and best forgotten?"

"As long as I need to. I don't intend to either give up or forget." The seated figure finally responded the voice quiet but stern tone allowing for no doubt as to his decision.

The old man sighed again, pulling a chair effortlessly with flick of his wrist.

"Alberon, you cannot continue like this. I cannot have my most powerful mage scurrying in forgotten ruins after myths. Believe me when I tell you lad, you have us all concerned. The Seven will not tolerate much of your malarkey. Enough is enough!"

At that Alberon turned to the old man, his expression unchanged but the green eyes bore into his senior: "Do you tell me that as my friend or my Guild Master, Professor?"

Old man inched forward a little in his chair, bending and taking his pupil' arm in his own:

"You worry me lad. I may be the Archmage but to you I will always be your Professor." the old man winked jovially, beaming a few rays of his famous smile. Alberon mellowed down a bit and nodded. Professor straightened up, all serious now.

"However - I cannot let you off the hook this time. I hope you will replace me one day and for that I have to know I can rely on you once more."

At that Alberon stood up before his superior, ready for whatever censure or perilous task may await him. In all honesty he did not care, neither for the Guild nor the Seven that guide it. Not anymore. The only reason he withstood this humiliation is because he had a soft spot for the Professor.
Unfortunately for him, the Professor knew of this and had a very different thing in mind for him this time.

"Ah. Well. You see I want you to do something for me. One of the aspirants shows extraordinary levels of potential and I want you to guide her as she masters the lore."

Caught somewhat off-guard he replied: "Why me? Are the schools too full?"

"No, but this aspirant requires special treatment. You see, she is only eleven."

Old man contained a chuckle as he saw Alberon' reaction. His pupil's interest was piqued but unfortunately it warred with stubbornness born of pride and bitterness.

"Suppress her then until she is of age. I neither need nor will take an apprentice."

"Tsk. Tsk. Yes you will my boy, yes you will. How else will you learn to communicate properly with the world again?"

"I am doing fine, thank you." he replied, this time a sneer marring his face. He did not doubt the Professor but he knew this was only an attempt place him under surveillance. To leash him to Guilds needs under the guise of tutelage.

"No you are not fine and you will listen to me as a sanctioned Mage of this school and your mentor. When I am gone there won't be anyone to protect you from your stupidity and I have not lived centuries to see your talent spent on pride! Why do you think someone of your age and power does not sit as one of the Seven?"

Alberon stood up, not willing to suffer this chiding anymore. "This is not the first time the Guild wanted to have me sat with a pup. Saphiria put you up to this, didn't she?"

Professor gave him a heavy-lidded stare: "All of the Seven did. She was just the most vocal about it. She cares, in her own way. Look lad, take this task upon you, see it through and I will make sure the Guild will leave you free to skulk to wherever you want."

With slumped shoulders, Professor leaned back in his chair his eyes drawn to the fireplace. "If you want to waste your life, I can't do no more for you. Your fate will be only your own."

Alberon kept silent, the weight of what just transpired slowly creeping upon him. Suddenly he felt deep sympathy and sadness for the Professor and inwardly, a small piece of him cursed his arrogance and pride. However before he even had a chance to respond, Professor spoke quietly to the doors far across the room - to the two guardians that stood outside:

"Bring her in."

Margot Wither had been a powerful though reclusive mage. She had grown under the watch of the Guild though she soon became unhappy with her life. She felt like too many strings were attached to her, she wanted to fall in love and have children. Margot was only 22 when she left the Guild though it only took her two years to find a husband, a farmer from a nearby village. Soon, they birthed a baby girl. Margot had sensed her abilities instantly and they grew as the baby girl did. The three lived a relatively happy life until the girl was 5.

A plague swept through the village, taking the life of Margot and her husband. The daughter didn’t have anymore family so she spent the next 6 years on the streets. That was until the Guild found her after she nearly burnt down her entire village while performing fire magic for money.

Sable Withers was a short girl, small for her age with a piercing blue eyes. Her hair was cut like a boy’s, curly, and red. Her magical energy was obvious to anyone who knew how to look and she had plenty of mana flowing through her veins though she had little control over them. Sable knew this place was meant to teach her control but she didn’t want to be here.

Mother had spoken of this place and all their rules, Sable did not want rules and she was not happy to be here. The small girl made that very clear when the guardians had to literally lift her and place the stubborn girl in the room where an a man and an older man seemed to be having a conversation.

Sable was barefoot, her magic was mostly elemental magic. She got her power from the Earth and so liked to be as close to the ground as she could be though she wasn’t really paying attention to the ground, rather glaring stubbornly at the two men.

“I. Want. To. Go. Home.”Sable bit out for the hundredth time that day. Her voice was thick with an Irish accent, her father’s heritage.”Mama told me about this place and it’s not fun. Do you realize how unappealing and dull this place is?”Her voiced dripped with annoyance as she looked around.

“Sir, this girl has been nothing but trouble.”A boy around the age of 21 spoke, he had been assigned to watch over her. The boy was a novice mage, a few years away from being allowed the privileges of fully realized mage.”She keeps running off and stealing food from the kitchens. She iced the handles of the privy so that no one could in!”The boy was clearly ready to be relieved of his duty of watching the young girl.

Sable looked please as punch as he listed off her activities. She laughed at the mention of prank.”Everyone here is way too serious.”She said with a grin.

As they carried her in, Professor's mood brightened a bit, his eyes lighting up as the youth listed a litany of indignities the girl visited upon his Guild. Witnessing the little twerp proud and joyous reaction at these achievements, he couldn't help but burst into a merry chuckle. In contrast, the mood of the other man was nowhere near as bright and as Alberon glared daggers at the Guild Master it only served to further fuel the Professor's mirth. He laughed happily.

"Oh, come on - does she not remind you of someone?"

"Many moons passed since she attempted to lit my hair on fire." Alberon let out a sigh as he went to one knee, lifting Sable's chin with his gloved finger, until the two were at eye level. He smelled of forest and old wood bark.
"And she did not have water in her eyes."

"Nor did she carry fire from the North." the Professor weighted, laughter making his voice lighter then usual as he enjoyed looking at Sable' hair.
"Forgive me child, but as your poor mother knew, we do not nurture within these walls a spirit of the wild or fae." Leaning back into the high-backed chair, he seemed genuinely sorry in his apology, which went in-hand with his reputation as a honest and jovial, if ancient, Guild Master. Quite a rarity in the world of institutionalized magic, for the many years of dangerous, draining studying and rigorous exercise usually leaves the man both worn and grouchy.

Alberon stood up from where he was kneeling, taking a few steps and leaning against the extinguished fireplace, his armored pauldron resting against the decorative mantelpiece. He tried not to look at the girl. In truth much of his indignation at this task melted away in face of girl's, not so unusual, rebellious streak but also at the magical potential that emanated from her. The fact that she might even be useful to his efforts did not even cross his mind until this moment. But the pit in his stomach gaped at him, swallowing any earnest streak of empathy or enthusiasm, leaving only dull pain.

He barely even paid attention to much of what Professor said, even tho most of the old man's words he felt were meant for him and not for the girl.

"The peace and quiet are rarely part of our lives - your mother knew. The strict regimen we employ here is the price we pay for the knowledge we need. But there is solace to be found in having that knowledge, there is surety in having that control."

Alberon involuntarily snorted and Professor warned him with a stare. Alberon regretted it instantly.
He did not intend to heap any more pain on the Professor then he already did, but the old man's perspective sometime infuriated him. He knew that deep down, there was no escape for either him or the girl. Not really. By virtue of their birth they have been set apart as extraordinary. But despite that, that does not mean they could not find some semblance of freedom and normality away from the confines of these walls and the heart-breaking politicking of the wizard world it contained. He closed his eyes, and with a sinking sensation, not unlike surrendering, he nodded at his mentor.

Professor's expression instantly changed and as he smiled he turned to the girl: "But even I am not that foolish to realize that some things are not meant to be. If you want to find your home, this man will help you." He stood up and with warmth and care that only the elderly seem to possess, he reached for the girl's shoulder, gesturing to the tall man embraced in a long blue cape.

In the stifling atmosphere of incense and floral ointments of the guild halls, the stranger smelled of woodland hills and fertile vales in full spring. The smell was like a breeze and his cloak moved as if he transported the wind from beneath his cape.
Despite the intimidating height and broadness of armored shoulders his posture was measured and stoic, robbed of any unnecessary movement and false bravado of the imperious. The wooden stick in his left hand was an oddity tho for it held no decoration or gemstones that the mages favored as magical focii. The stick looked just like a stick would and somehow it was not hard to imagine the green-eyed stranger simply picking up a branch from the ground before walking into the building.

"Miss Sable, this is Alberon. He graciously volunteered for this task. What do you say?"

Apart from a stern look directed at the Professor, there was not much of a response from the tall stranger. In contrast, the youth that brought her in, gasped in awe at the words, quickly covering his mouth. His amazement however, could not be removed from his eyes as he stared at the tall stranger. The began stammering: "T...t-the sa..."

Guild Master chuckled, interrupting aspiring mage's efforts at speech with a dismissive wave of his free hand:

"And bring me the letter that sits on the desk. Quickly now!"

Sable clearly was not a fan of the strange man being close to her or even trying to touch her but she did not move as he did so. She did glare at him rather defiantly though but the look faded into curiosity as as they spoke of the "water" in her eyes and the "fire that she carried from the north". It took her a few moments to realize that they were talking about her appearance. She pulled away when the man stepped away, returning her glare before looking at the older man. He was older than the man who had touched her but he seemed to be in better spirits than the younger man.

"People always said that I got my looks from my Papa and my Mama's spirit..."Sable said, her voice getting a little quiet as she spoke of her parents. It had been 6 years since she had watch them die before her young eyes but it still hurt if she thought too much of it. It wasn't because it hurt watching her parents die, it hurt because the memories of them started to fade. These men knew who her mother was though, actually who she was. Sable only knew her as "Mama". These men knew her as "Margo Withers, the great and powerful mage". She wanted to know her mother like that as well.

"Mama left because she found joy somewhere else. That is what she always said to me. She met Papa and suddenly, she could care less about her status within the Guild. I do not have anything but my magic to bring me joy. It is what made me different from all of the other orphans and beggars on the street..."Sable trailed off as she was introduced to Alberon.

The man smelled of the earth, being an mage that specialized in Earth and all of her elements, she knew the smell well. He carried himself around like he was somebody that everyone should know but she did not share the excitement of the young man that stood beside her. Her eyes whisked over the man, analyzing him because she had learned to do early after her parents had died.

"I want to know why my mother left from this place. I want to be able to use my magic like she had..."Sable's change of heart was as sudden as the aspiring mage's movement to bring the letter to the Guild Master."Mama warned me that one day, you might come for me. You knew my mother though, right?"Her question was directed at Alberon as the small girl boldly walked up to the man.

The size difference was almost laughable as Sable's had just came up to the man's waist. He was a tall man and she was short for her age, though she was convinced that she would grow over the next couple of years. Her father had been tall and so her mother wasn't short."How did your people hear of my mother's death? She died 6 years ago from the plague that washed through my town, if everyone knew where she was then why didn't anyone come for me?"She asked.

Professor observed the conversation but added little. As Sable's mention of her parents and the life on the streets, he quickly reigned in his good humor. The plague was a sordid business, leaving anyone involved lesser both in body and in spirit, if they survived that is. For a moment he wished things have turned out differently, that this little girl that stood before him was able to stay within the safe confines of the Guild and instead of having this conversation, he imagined her to be at her desk in the local school, learning and preparing for the time when she can be properly be inducted into the arcane arts.

Nothing turned out the way it was suppose to.

As the Guild Master fought with his inner demons, Alberon stood in front of the girl, surprised at the sudden interest the girl showed for her past and that of her parents. If there were any signs of docility in her, it was quickly erased by her stern stance as she moved in front of him. In truth this did not surprised him and only spoke of the volume of work her caregiver would have to invest just for her to adjust properly to normal human life. He did not begrudge her for it but he envied the one who took that job even less.

In truth he did not know of the girl's lineage or the unfortunate circumstances surrounding her till this moment and if the Professor's sudden pensive behavior was any inkling, it did not concern only her. The mention of mother's name did bring back memories not so much of the woman herself as much of the plague that took so many lives. For a moment he felt sorry for the girl, she did deserved better then this.

He shook his head slightly, the thin diadem that held his graying hair back catching little of the afternoon light that beamed from the window.
''No, I never knew your mother but I heard her name being mentioned when she left the Guild.'' Taking the stick in another arm he moved toward the large window that lined almost the entirely of the wall. He moved the heavy curtain aside with the stick, taking in the view of the Guild's botanical gardens and of little else - the view of the city almost completely obscured by the perimeter stone wall.

''If you asked these questions before, you've had plenty of time to find an answer. Either you did not ask the right person...'' he faced the girl, letting the curtain fall back, ''...or there are no answers here for you to find.''

He was starting to be annoyed with the girl and not only because she was a petulant child. In truth her brash behavior was amusing. However, in his mind the Guild not only intended to trust this girl upon him, but also to make him do their dirty work by solving for them a problem likely of their own making. He could care less either way, but the girl showed incredible potential.
Yet despite her time spent in one of the finest academies for magical arts she seemed to have made little progress. What further infuriated him was his mentor's sudden silence, as if the old man already shoved all the responsibility to him. A tiny voice within him raised an objection as to the unfairness of the situation, but he quickly silenced it. In this world you make things fair. And taking this girl off their hands might keep them of of my backs for a while. The old man does not break his promises easily.

He approached the girl again, this time ignoring his master. He noticed her dislike as he invaded her private space, so he kept his distance but close enough for an intimate, if far from private, conversation. He did not know how to talk to a child, so instead of buttering the truth up, he just laid down all the cards on the table as he would to an adult. He imagined she saw things some adult people in this very building haven't and she lived to tell the tale and for Alberon that was enough:

''Look, you've made yourself unwelcome here and your young age puts you at danger to both yourself and others. Your desire to uncover the history of your family is your own concern but if you come with me I will teach you how to control your potential. At least it is better then the streets or being suppressed until you are of age to train.''

He extended his free hand to the girl and this close his gloves, that appeared at first glance to be of plain leather, appeared to be now of some much coarser and more solid material.

''So, what will it be? Stay with strangers that you pissed off or go with one you never met and hopefully find some answers?''

Sable knew that this strange man was right, she had been here for about a week and she still had not found anything for her mother. They had tried to suppress her magic but it was like she could bubbling up inside her, like a bomb ready to go off. She knew that it was only a matter of time before she exploded if she stayed here, plus she knew that nothing here would make her feel better about her parent's death. She should have been over it by now, she was 11 years old now so she should be over it but she knew that she was still caught up on it.

She knew that Alberon was the man that was suppose to be her mentor but she was more than displeased with all of this. He seemed like a total bore which something her mother warned her about."Mama told me that one day that I may be taken here and that they would settle me with someone whose humor and happiness has been sucked away..."She trailed off."I'm paraphrasing, Papa said that I should not repeat those words though..."She added.

Still, Alberon seemed to hint that she would not have to stay here if she decided to go with him."Mama told me that my magic means nothing without soul so I will go with you but I will not change."She smirked as she crossed her arms over her chest. Her mother wouldn't want her trapped at this old Guild but she wouldn't want her on the streets either. This is a good compromise.

So, Sable reached out and took the man's hand before looking back at the Guild Master."You were the one thing that my mother did not speak ill of in this school. She told me that you were kind and I suppose that she was right. I do apologize for the trouble that I have caused here today."She added though her lips grew into a sudden grin."Though it was pretty funny."She added with a giggle before turning to Alberon.

"So, how is all of this gonna work? I just have to do whatever you tell me?"

He wanted to say something but old man's sudden rowdy laughter interrupted. Even knowing him as he did, Professor's moods and laughter usually came in ebbs and flows like this, always managed to startle him. Following on it's heel the door opened admitting the errant mage, his face ruddy with effort. Alberon suspected that the only thing that kept his brisk pace within the hall from bursting into a full-on sprint was the youth's deference and respect he had for the aging Guild Master. With clumsy haste he produced the letter from his waist pouch, handing it over to the Professor and with equal haste departing from the room, pausing only for a half-bow at the door's threshold and a pointed gaze at the child, before leaving.

Finding a moment to take a breather and inspect the letter, Professor took a moment to look upon the crouching Alberon and his student.
"Forgive me for interrupting you, it's just her fiesty temper that amuses me. Such a refreshing thing to witness." For a moment he eyed the doors as they were closing. "Little wonder as you are indeed Margot's child and your father seemed to be wise in his own way. You would do well to take heed of it!"

Just as Professor's attention shifted to the letter, Sable could feel Albernon's handshake. His hand or rather the glove around it felt coarse and solid, in places even cracked as a bark of an ancient oak would be.

"Good choice. You are my pupil now." Albernon said with some finality holding her tiny hand before standing up. As he did so, Sable could notice a small ring on her ring finger. Perfect fit for her tiny finger, the thing was thin and without ornaments, it's color of dark brown so opaque that at first glance it would seem to be black. On touch it would feel soft and fibrous like a vine from a tree, however what would be more noticeable was how the ring felt. The tingling around it would be quickly replaced with soft warmth, the feeling pulsing throughout her hand and increasing in rhythm the more she focused on the ring. If she looked up, she could see the graying mage observing her with one eye.

"Magical." he declared, as if that explained everything.

"Well that settles it. You are officially a proper mage now." Professor added cheekily handing him the letter over. Albernon snorted, stashing the white envelope quickly somewhere under the cloak before moving to the doors with quick but measured steps.

"Will we see each other again?" he asked, almost too quietly.

"Who knows? Either way you take care yourself and yours lad. Hopefully my body will serve me a few more year for me to see Miss Sabina here growing into her own." he added as he turned to the child and winking as a reply to her kind compliments and a goodbye.
"Ah - to be young again." he inched in closer, sheltering his mouth with a palm of his hand in a mock whisper: "And you take care of him and your studies. He will teach you well, but trust me he is way too serious for his own good."

The cobblestone road was caked with filth and dirt, bleaching the once white stones into an earthen mortar that was characteristic in Windshire of this time of year. As beasts-pulled carriages and many pedestrians made their contribution to the city' poor state of roads with boots and wheels, Albernon stood aside just at the Guild' gates, his face a visage of concentration. What a stranger would mistake for a dirt road, sloped down the hill, losing itself into the market square that was the heart of the city. Albernon looked toward the city, his bare-footed apprentice beside him, seemingly forgotten for a moment. Few times he brought the walking stick to his face, as if in self-defense, each time on the cusp of saying something.

A breeze blew over and his emerald gaze was drawn away in the direction of the wind toward Windshire and away to the south and the surrounding forest that almost completely enclosed the city. He frowned, then looked at the girl:

"We should wait till the next morning before we go. Till then let's stay in the city tonight and do some shopping."

When Alberon stood up, she was shocked to see that there was a ring on her finger. It was so thin and light that she hardly noticed it on her finger but it was a perfect fit. How? She doubted that he knew about her in advance and it wasn’t like he would know what size would fit her finger. She stared at him, her finger stroking the top of it. There was a warmth coming from the ring. She looked up and noticed the man looking at her before simply staying it was magical.

“Magical?”She repeated dully as she followed Alberon to the door. She wondered what the note that he was handed said but she figured that the man would not appreciate her being noisey. She glanced at the Guild Master as he spoke to her, the girl grinning.”I’ll fix that! Mama said that I could make anyone smile!”She promised. Everyone but herself, she thought a little sadly.

————-

Sable didn’t say much as she followed the man outside the guild. She didn’t really know what to say. She had taken care of herself for years so she had no idea how to act when an adult was put in charge of her. She also did not know how this apprenticeship would go but the small girl suddenly looked kind of unsure and maybe a little scared.

Sable had never left her village before a few weeks ago and now she was going to travel with some stranger? All she had was what was in her backpack which wasn’t much. She looked up at Alberon, giving him an odd look as he kept raising and dropping his stick to his side. He seemed like he was going to speak but never did.

When Alberon finally did say something, it was about shopping. She frowned, she didn’t much money and most of it was pickpocketed. She dropped her bag and dug through it, taking out items as she did so.

A small blanket which looked liked it had seen better days, a stuffed dragon that looked like it was hand stitched. Sable took it out and set it down in her lap carefully before finally producing a coin pouch. She placed everything back in her bag and held out the coin pouch to him.”Here.”She said figured that way he wouldn’t see her as a complete burden.

Sable wasn’t dumb, she could tell that he hadn’t really wanted to take her on. She assumed that Alberon was told to by the Guild Master.“You nae need worry about taking care of me. I can handle myself.”She added.

As time went on, he tried hard not to look at the bare-footed girl beside him. He imagined she looked like a bird taken prematurely out of her nest, and in many regards that was true, however it would also be unfair to treat her like children of her age. He didn't need to know about her history to read it from her behavior and circumstance, and as she offered him her savings, dug up from her meager possessions it only reinforced this fact. She was a survivor with a childhood taken away, it would be wrong of him, even patronizing, to treat her as any other little girl.

He took the little pouch, testing it for weight and value before pocketing it with a nod:
"This should cover the expenses of your shoes and some other clothing."

Then he noticed the toy, a stuffed dragon of sorts and his heart sank. The truth hit him as a noodle climbed up his throat - realizing he had no idea what to do with her! Up until now he saw her as an apprentice only, a possible danger, but away from the incense-filled halls of the Guild, here in the light of the day, she only looked like any other little orphan girl.

The sun was already high on the sky and he knew without looking that most of the stalls of Windshire market would probably be closed by now - a fact that foretold he wouldn't get much done today. With another nod, this time to himself, he decided what to do today, with both himself and the girl.
He was not looking forward to what was coming next.

"Come!" with haste he moved along the mud-caked pavement and down the slope towards the city.

The sun was warm and wind was not half as bad this time of year, as they came down among the brick and stone houses and shops huddling together, sheltering the two from the wind's worst bite. Despite the early spring, the air was quite chilly and the road was often very cold and slippery from all of the rain and melted snow. Alberon noticed this, despite his utilitarian yet comfortable clothing, suspecting the bare-footed girl was doing much worst. Frustrated at himself and how this quite mundane situation has gotten him miffed, he abruptly stopped on the busy pavement and knelt in-front of the girl.

Shredding a piece of his blue cloak, not wanting to hear or settle for any attempts at protests, he wrapped her feet in the cloth and after a moment and a soft whisper, he stood up and continued moving.

"Come, we are not far of. There you can rest as I prepare for the journey tomorrow."

And in truth, it was as Alberon said, as they soon found themselves in-front of a shop, situated just behind the corner of more busy thoroughfare, the shop conveniently located away from massed lines of pedestrians and beast-pulled carriages. A sign in the shape of a treasure chest with words engraved on it, dangled on a iron rod just above the shop's door. It read:" Willowgroom's Emporium of Curiosities." in pretty and stylized lettering.

For some reason Alberon hesitated at the doors, but after a heavy sigh he entered.

The lobby was wide, much wider then the shop's front could ever even suggest it and the lobby was absolutely cluttered with all manner of things and trinkets, it's many and colorful inventory placed on whatever spare surface one could find. From toys, to crystal-cased brooches, petrified insects and ornamental weaponry, to old leather and scale-bound tomes and other more bizarre items - their form mystifying as to their purpose. This shop seemed to have it all, inducing into the customer a comely sense of a happy home only supplanted by an occasional pique of interest or of silent gasp of wonder and awe. It was a miracle then, how amid all this excitement around, the shop was practically devoid of any patronage.

As the doorbell rang at Alberon's entrance, a middle-aged man with wide mustaches and even wider shoulders, quickly looked up from from the book he was reading - hastily patting his chequered shirt, tucking it into his pants before realizing who had entered. The clerks annoyed expression at its own tardiness was quickly replaced with that of abject surprised and happiness. Rushing behind to the entrance with a staircase leading to an upper floor, he yelled:

"Master Ridiraik is here! Come quickly!" with a wide grin and a heavy yet graceful stride, he moved to his customer, his hand extended to the mage. Everything about the man suggested he had not only great strength but also experience in using it. Yet despite any violent past he might have had, the clerk with his big smile and big shop radiated pure honesty and excitement. It was difficult to imagine him otherwise.

There were voices upstairs, with a woman's voice nervously reaching downstairs: "What! He just came in?!" and a much younger one constantly repeating something, her chant becoming louder and louder and suddenly coherent:

"Oaken Knight! Oaken Knight! Oaken Knight!"

The clerk laughed and then laughed some more as a red comet came blazing down the stairway and bolted right into Alberon, crashing into him. A small girl, four or five years of age, with red hair much like Sable's and with orange freckles all over her cheeks and nose, clutched at mage' leg with both hands, managing to jump up and down at the same time as she looked up, grinning widely:

"Oaken Knight! You came just as you promised!"

Throughout this, Alberon maintained a stony face, only managing to nod in respect to the clerk as they handshaked. He seemed very uncomfortable, managing only a curt reply to the girl:
"Just for the night, if you would have us."

The girl just grinned in glee as a way of reply, only now noticing mage's companion.

"This is Sable Withers."

Her eyes went wide as she looked at the girl, her sorry state and her red hair. What was very noticeable about the girl itself was her wide eyes, as they were unnaturally pulled at each end, their clear emerald color and shape giving away a sense of a graceful feline:
"Your hair is same as mine!" she remarked moving closer to Sable, her hands reaching out to pat her on the head but struggling, only then noticing the difference in height. The clerk pulled the little girl aside, offering a courteous hand to Sable:

"Any friend of this man is mine as well. You are welcome here Miss Withers." he said with a smile as he ushered them both behind the counter, into a much smaller room, that judging by the crackling fireplace and lack of clutter and curios, served as private living room.
"Coming!" it went from upstairs.

With some haste, as if wanting to get it over with, in a deadpan, matter-of-fact voice, Alberon began, addressing the man: "We can only stay for the night before we head to the Vale. Has Seila kept some of those white willow flowers?"

As clerk tried to make them comfortable in the living room, quickly bringing out refreshments and offering to take Sable's bag off of her hands, he paused at Alberon's question, looking up at the mage as he stood near the fireplace, the chair intended for him occupied by the small girl. She was grinning, her attention thorn between the mage and his companion's hair.

"She has I think. Why, is everything alright?" he asked, a crack of incredible worry breaking into his strong voice.
Somewhat uncharacteristically, Alberon extended his free hand, reassuring him:" It is, there is nothing to worry about. I just need the flowers for my journey tomorrow."

"Aww - stay! Stay and I'll show you my garden! A...a-and my toys!" the little girl half yelled, half giggled.

"Ah." clerk added with visible relief at Alberon's answer before disappearing back into the shop, reappearing only at the shoulder of a incredible lithe yet incredible beautiful woman. She appeared both fragile and strong, like a lean branch of an evergreen tree and much like the little girl, her eyes were big and wide, but not green. Much like the color of her hair, the two jewels were that of dark brown, her voice warm and gentle like a summer breeze completed her image as a living expression of a warm mother:

"My Ridiraik! Oh I thought we'd never see you again!" to which the clerk smiled and Alberon managing a brief yet courteous bow. The woman did not settle for such sterile show of appreciation and respect so she moved in and hugged him.
"You really ough to come more often. After you've done for us, this is your home as well."

Mage did not return the embrace and after a brief cough, more out of desire to get away then to be courteous he announced:

"Mistress Seila, may I introduce you to Sable Withers. She will be traveling with me."

"Traveling with you?"

As if startled, the woman looked toward the little girl, only then noticing Sable in the chair next to her. She laughed, her rosey hand covering her petite mouth, the laughed echoed by the little girl, laughing joyously with none of Seila's polite decorum.

"You don't mean to the Vale? Forgive me child. I am Seila Willowgroom." she said as she crouched down, noticing the cloth bounding her feet. She wanted to reach out for the cloth but hesitated, and after a moment she looked up from where she was kneeling, smiling at Alberon: "I am glad you finally found someone. Elrik told me you would be staying for tonight. Will you be joining us for dinner?"

Alberon shook his head as he approach the man: "Unfortunately no, Mistress. I need to prepare things for tomorrow." He looked pointedly at the clerk and the man nodded in silent agreement.
"I won't be back till the ill hour. Would that be acceptable?"

Crestfallen, Seila looked at the mage before managing: "I did say that this is your home as much as ours."
The two men left the room, quickly followed by the clinking of the bell on the front doors. The little girl was quiet now in her seat, looking with sad longing after the two men, her small hands clutching at the chair.

Seila' attention was completely on Sable now, looking at her with that mix of care and warmth that was once, perhaps, everyday part of Sable' life.
"I will prepare supper - you must join us. I can prepare you a hot bath and I think I have some clothes your size that I have prepared for Ridia."

Sable allowed the man to take her money before following after him, she had not been around an adult consistently like this for awhile so she reminded herself that she would have to somewhat listen to him. She did not really want to be back on the streets but she knew that she would not allow the man to completely turn her into some soulless soldier for the Guild to toy around with.

Still, he acted stone faced and cold but he was gentle with the way he wrapped her feet in the torn material of his cloak before whispering something to it. She placed her foot down and noticed that her feet were warm and that the water on the pavement did not seem to soak through her feet. The small girl grinned and placed her foot in a puddle with a small giggle before following the mage."Can you teach me that?"She asked as she walked beside him, stopping when they reached some kind of shop.

Sable's parents had died at young age so she was never really taught to read except for some small words. She stared at the sign but she could not read all but the "of" in the sign. She frowned a little before following Alberon into the shop, her eyes going wide as she stared at everything inside. Her eyes traveling to some of the toys before tearing her gaze away. That part of her life was over now, she kept the stuffed dragon in her bag because it reminded her of her mother and on nights when she was lonely, it was nice to hold it close to her.

Her attention was drawn to the large man, she casually moved to hide behind Alberon. She was not shy by nature but she did not know this place. She had been outraged back at the Guild and that overcame her desire to hide away from all the strange adults but now she was calm and self conscious of the strange man. She was even a little timid around the girl who seemed younger than her though Sable was not that much taller than her.

These people seemed to like Alberon which surprised her as the man was cold and seemed to be kind of a jerk so why did these people seem so fond of him? The little girl was even clinging to his leg! It confused her."Um, yeah...we do..."She touched the top of her own head. She felt even more awkward around this child.

Sable had hoped that she had met all the new residents of this shop but a woman soon came in, she was pretty and she greeted Alberon kindly too. She hugged him which he did not return, she even knew that was kind of rude. She turned to Seila as she introduced herself, laughing behind her hand while the little girl laughed openly. She did not know why they were laughing but it made her uncomfortable.

Sable thought that Alberon would be staying with her but she supposed that she was wrong, he soon left with the other man. Sable stared at the door before turning to Seila when she spoke. She was looking at her with the same warmth that her mother use to look at her and for some reason, that hurt."O-Okay..."She then looked back at the door where Alberon had left."What kind of shop is this? I-I can't read the sign but I did not want to tell Alberon that. I think he sees me as some chore and I didn't want him to be mad at me..."She said as she stared at ground, clearly embarrassed."I'm not dumb though...I can do this!"She held out her hand as she produced a small flame in the center of it.

The little girl laughed at Sable's confession of ignorance before Seila shushed her, a downcast expression marring her beautiful features. At the Sable's question, Seila's gaze went for the doorway where two men stood before leaving. She seemed to think of an appropriate answer for a moment too long, before suddenly remembering something and that warm smile curved her lips once more:

"We are blessed for knowing our Ridiraik but his heart remains a mystery to me. However without his help we wouldn't be here at least not like this, so I am sure you will be more then fine with him." The little girl giggled again before suddenly jumping from the cushioned chair and with her hands spread out wide she ran out of the room. At regular intervals various mimicked calls and cries of animals came out from different rooms as the little girl moved throughout the house.

As she ran out, Seila watched her with glee the expression only intensifying at Sable's sudden show of magical potential.

"Oh my - You are strong!" She exclaimed as she watched the flames burn bright in her palms. The glow reflected in Seila's wide eyes and for a moment there were small pinpricks of light, like dozens of small fireflies trapped in her eyes, suddenly dissapearing as she looking up from the flame at the girl. Her hands when over the girl's palms, closing them, smothering the flame.

Sable could feel the pull of magical energy within her stabilizing in the presence of an another, much smaller magical potential but unlike anything she has seen in another human - except perhaps in Alberon. In others the energy would come from within, enclosed as it were in the shell of their bodies before the user learned how to tap into it. But in Seila, the energy flowed all throughout her body and around the room around her, suffusing her in gentle radiance like roots of some ancient tree. If Sable concentrated upon Seila she might even see that the woman's body was a small bubble within this magical network and it was much less substantive then the errant blaze Sable held in her hands mere moments ago.

As if nothing extraordinary happened she continued, a behaviour in ajbect contrast to that of many common folk:
"Look at it like this. If he didn't care about you - he would not bring you here, now would he? Do you like it here? If you think this is nice, wait until you see the Vale!"
As she said that she tiredly exhaled, for a moment having a nostalgic look in her eye, before shaking the mood away. With gentleness of a seamstress, she unwrapped the cloth protecting Sable's feet. As she did so, the warmth was gone and suddenly the cloth was incredibly soggy and cold - luckily the fireplace in the living room was crackling vigorously, spreading its warmth.

"Now, why would he do that?" Seila remarked, gesturig with her chin at the rags: "Not many mages spend their energy on make-shift socks, you know. I've met a few, mostly Guild mages and a lot of them are quite selfish and very serious."
As she unwrapped the rags, she tightened the soggy cloth between her hands noticing the similarity of the fabric and embossed pattern to that of Alberon's cloak. At that she shook her head with a silly smile and closed eyes.

"But I am getting ahead of myself. All in good time - you will see for yourself." She stood up, dusting her dress, putting the rags over the fire to dry.
"This place is many things for us: a home, shop, nursery and in a way a member of family. The way you came in..." she pointed toward the doorway that faced the shop's counter, as if there were more then one ways to get in "...is our shop where my husband sells various things he collected in his travels. I help him sometimes by trying to keep the place clean. We call it: 'Willowgroom's Emporium of Curiosities'." She added with some pride and flourish before turning to the girl, offering her a rosey hand:

"Now, how about that bath before dinner? You have quite a trip ahead of you and you best prepare for it."

Sable blushed heavily as the little girl started to laugh at her, looking away as a guarded look appeared on her features. It was not the first time that someone had laughed at her for her lack of ability to read but that did not make it any better. Her mother had started teaching her but then the plague ravaged the town and her parents became too busy to teach her. When they became sick and died, she had no teachers and she never did see how reading would help her survive on the streets. She supposed that she was not on the streets anymore so maybe she could try to learn again.

Seila and her family seemed very fond of the man that Sable would now call her mentor though she did not see why. She supposed that he was not the meanest man she had ever met but he did not even accept their offer of food! Where Sable came from, you never turn down food."I have not traveled with any adult in a long time and we are so different..."She trailed off as she felt Seila touch her hands.

She was taken back by the touch as she had not had many people in the past 6 years touch in her any way that could be considered kind and by the small magical potential that she felt from the woman before her."I want to be strong like my mother was, she was a great mage..."She trailed off as she looked down when she mentioned her mother. Seila's warmth reminded her painfully of her mother's and she felt herself become a little jealous of the girl that currently running around the house.

Seila seemed convinced that Alberon cared about her but she doubted it."Yeah, right. I am his responsibility, nothing more. That Guild Master asked him to take me on and that is all he is doing. He respects the man and that is why he brought me here..."She knew that if Alberon had the chance to dump her on another mage then he readily would.

Still, he did make her those socks and while she did like being barefooted, her feet were beginning to feel awfully cold before he made them. Alberon even tore his own clothing to make them. Sable was silent as Seila talked about her shop, it was one of the most curious shops that she had ever seen."The toys were interesting, I had never seen toys like that before. Mama and Papa always made me toys, Papa would make them and then Mama would enchant them sometimes..."She had been the pride and joy of her parents. She had been doted on and spoiled though not rotten, it just made it hard to cope when they died.

Sable nodded at the offer of a bath, taking her hand as she stood."Thank you for being kind to me..."She muttered with a small blush, turning to look away from the woman.

"As strong a mage as your mother, huh." the beautiful woman remarked, her wide eyes catching a glimpse of Sable's new ring.
"Well you seem to be well on your way."

The conversation continued with interruptions in-between the bath and meal preparation, well seasoned by the sudden arrivals and equally sudden departures of what is probably, Seila's daughter. The red-headed imp seemed to be as discourteous as she was vigorous, bombarding Sable with curious questions as she caught snippets of conversations between the two women. To Seila's defense however, she shushed the girl and otherwise protected Sable as best as she could from the little girl's prying.

"Oh, I am so sorry - it's just that she does not go out very much."

However as day turned to evening the vibrancy of the house seemed to ebb, the sounds of the town seemed more subdued and even the little girl started yawning. As she was making dinner ready, Seila made occasional glances toward the little girl as she mopped sluggishly around the house. Judging by increasing frequency of her glances, Seila seemed to be tense or at least wary of the little girl's change in behavior.

Just as last of the caramel-colored rays disappeared from the stain-glass window of the dinning room, a big pot was placed on the table, the escaping steam enriching the air with the smells of thyme, parsley and sea-meat. As if summoned by the mouth-watering smells, the entrance doorbell rang and after a few moments, in came Elrik. Judging by his grass-stained gloves and fresh smell of dug earth that accompanied him, he seemed worse for wear but happy to be home.

"Daddy!"

The girl clutched at the man's leg, burring her face in the fabric of his trousers before looking up. After a moment, she looked around her face crestfallen accompanied by a loud moan.
"He is gone?"
"Not yet. I'll wake you in the morning so you can say goodbye to your Ridiraik." the man added as he landed a kiss on her forehead. The girl's hair seemed to turn from bright red to lighter brown- or maybe that was just the light playing?

Nodding to Sable, he fought the the little twerp as he gave Seila a smooch on the cheek.

"All done? So he really won't be staying?" Seila asked as she eyed Elrik's dirty clothes.

"All done. Clam-chowder tonight?" Changing the subject, he attempted moving toward the table, but the woman fought him of, shooing him out of the dining room.

"Yes, yes. But not before you wash yourself - and take Ridia to the trunk."

Raising his hands in surrender before removing the dirty gloves, Elrik turned to the little girl with a knowing look. The little girl seemed to barely be able to stand, but as she eyed her father, a mischievous twinkle gleamed in her eyes. Elrik brushed his mustaches with his fingers in mock seriousness - then suddenly grabbing the girl up and teasing hr. The two disappeared from the room with the sound of hysterical giggling and Elrik's occasional imitation of some animal's call.

Later on as they dined, Elrik teased his wife about their guest wondering if she was a good host, much to Seila's embarrassed exasperation. It was easy to observe from whom the little girl got her playfulness from. However, despite their acting the part, the little girl looked nothing like Elrik. If anything, she looked completely like a smaller version of Seila.

"So I guess you two met at the hill?" Elrik asked in-between mouthfuls, gesturing to the ring at Sable's hand and then with his spoon over his shoulder in direction where the Guild was.
"Never thought he would give one. Never seemed the type."
At that, Seila frowned and Elrik suddenly paid a closer attention to the chowder in his plate.

"Well, I am glad he finally found another apprentice. Master Alberon did so much for us and I am glad he won't be alone in the Vale anymore." Seila said, beaming a smile at Sable, obviously glad for both the mage and her apprentice.

Last edited:
This family was strange, Seila had some dirty of magic about her though she had no idea how. The woman had shown any proof of magic but she did feel it. The little girl was strange as well, maybe that was because Sable had not been around many other children in her life time. Still, the girl’s hair seemed to fading slightly and she was getting tired.

At the gesuturing of the ring, she looked at it before looking back."I...I don't know what it is. He just put it on me before we left. That stupid mage didn't tell me anything. He just dragged me here and left without telling me why he was leaving..."She muttered as she crossed her arms over her chest as she took a break from eating. This was her first hot meal in awhile and she was enjoying it but there were so many questions that were swimming around in her mind that she did not find herself with much of an appetite. Her life on the streets taught her to never waste food though she ate every last bit of it.

Yes, the family was strange but they were also nice. Sable just didn’t like how they seemed to know more about her situation then she did. Alberon had barely spoken to her while they had walked here. He didn’t even tell her where they were traveling to though she knew it was “the Vale”. She had never heard of such a place. She had heard everyone mention it but she had never really asked, she had been too stubborn and angry before. She had calmed down now though and she was curious."What is the Vale? Why is Alberon taking me there?"She asked with a tilt of her head.

This was the most that the young girl had traveled in her whole life and the idea of traveling somewhere new and far away was exciting though the though of doing it with that grumpy mage killed the mood."When will he be back?"She found herself asking because while she was forced upon him, she did worry that he was not going to come back for her. He had only known her for a few hours and he had already dumped her on other people so what reason did he have to come back to her?

The two adults that shared their dinner with Sable felt her frustration but the black mood did little to kill the homely atmosphere. Seila eyed as she shook her head and Elrik just smiled before drawing his chair across the floor and closer to Sable.

"That's just like him, doing things without explaining anything. Look..." moving his empty dinner plate aside, Elrik put forward his right hand next to Sable's, his big and hairy palm comically oversized. He wiggled his ring finger, the wedding band catching some of the light coming from the ceiling lamp.
"Rings are symbols of promises made. These ones..." at that Seila showed her hand, a smaller wedding band adorning her delicate finger, "...are of precious metal and so symbolize love and commitment made to nurture that love."

"And you can demonstrate your commitment further, by washing the dishes..." Seila added teasingly with a raised eyebrow.
"Ah, right. It was my turn. I must've forgotten."
"Sure you did."

With Elrik's attention focused at the kitchen's washbasin, Seila continued where Elrik left of:
"But yours is made of..." she trailed off as she moved in closer to see the wooden, dark brown ring, her expression furrowed in concentration, the petite woman either confused as to the ring's material or purpose.
"Regardless, when a mage gives you a ring it means only one thing. It is a symbol of your apprenticeship and his duties as your mentor. If you look at his hand you might see him having the same ring as you, making you part of his household!"

"And Vale..." she added her face and tone suddenly radiating a tinge of melancholy. "...well it is his home now. You will see it tomorrow when he comes for you. You would like that, yes? It feels nice to be part of someone's life, even if that someone is still a stranger?"
Elrik harrumphed at that in-between the clinking dishes, tossing a warm glance over his shoulder at his wife.
Her wide eyes twinkled, radiating both charm and excitement at Sable before turning to her husband as if sensing his attention.
As she moved, Sable could spot edges of a tattoo at her neck, its emerald-inked design half-hidden by the laced collar of her dress. It seemed to be a simple design, that of an inverted triangle pierced with forest vines, with the tip of the triangle obscured by Seila's dress. The triangle itself would be familiar to Sable as the ring on her finger had a barely perceptible shape imbedded in its wooden surface.

As the evening dragged on and few yawns were exchanged, Elrik moved upstairs, the staircases's creaking the only evidence of his quiet retreat. He assured her that there was a guest room ready for Sable if she wanted to sleep upstairs. After showing her the doors of the room next to his own and urging her not to enter the doors at the end of the corridor, he retreated for the night.

His wife, however, remained downstairs. Her hair similar to that of little Ridia, it changed to lighter and lighter hues - now almost light brown from this afternoon's bright red. Quietly humming, she tended to the fireplace, the light from the fire a sole source of illumination for the book she was reading. Next to her was a couch with thin blankets and a pillow, prepared for Sable in case she wanted to sleep downstairs.

Sable listened to the couple talk about rings and commitment. She understood for the most part, she had noticed that Alberon wore the same ring as her but that didn’t mean anything. The ring was a simple of his duty, not like the rings that Seila and Elrick wore. They loved each other and they wanted to be together. She knew that if there was another candidate that the mage would probably ditch her as soon as he could. This homey atmosphere and this family were starting to irk Sable something awful. They seemed perfect and realistically, she knew that it was impossible for them to be perfect.”Alberon doesn’t care about me, at least not in the way that you care about your daughter. Guild Master ordered him to teach me. I’m an obligation.”The words came out rushed and angry.

Sable hardly spoke again, yawning every now and then. She was grateful for bedtime, watching the man go upstairs. She opted to sleep on the couch, an instinct to be closer to an exit that she had picked on her years alone. She stared at Seila as she tended the fire and suddenly it wasn’t Seila. It was her mother, Margo. Margo turned to her with a kind smile.”It’s cold, my little fireball. Come sit by the fire.”She could hear her mother’s voice in her head. Sable blinked and the image of her mother was gone.

“Ridia is lucky. She is little though and doesn’t understand it like I do...”Sable spoke as if she was decades older rather than only 5 years older.”She has a mother and a father, a home, people that love her...”Things that she would never have again. She brought her bag over to the couch, taking out the little stuffed dragon and placing it on the couch.”Thank you for the food and everything...”She bowed her head before crawling under the covers.

The young girl wanted until she was completely alone to hug the toy dragon, she could feel tears go down her cheeks. She just had wanted to learn about her mother and now she was stuck with the very people her mother had ran away from. The small girl fell into a deep sleep, it was the first time she could sleep without worrying about someone stealing her things. Tomorrow her new life with that grumpy mage would begin. The Vale was what awaited her and maybe that place has the answers that she so desperately yearned for.

"Oh, you poor little thing..." Seila began but quickly stopped herself. Judging from her sudden hesitation, she perhaps realized that little comfort would be of any actual value to her guest. After all, all she can offer was temporary comfort that may only serve to widen Sable's wounds.

"Let me tell you child," she offered as Sable curled on the sofa beneath a blanket "if I was so lucky to have all of this, I have no doubt in my mind that you will too if you truly want it. After all, you accompany a man who made this all possible for Elrik and me."

With that said, she wished her guest a pleasant sleep before withdrawing for the night. With book in one hand, she rested by the crackling fireplace her eyes tracing page after page, deep into the night.

On the 'morrow, the morning frost brought by the young spring was not the only visitor. First light barely had the chance to spill over the eastern hills before he came. There was no knocking and as the entrance doors opened no bell clanged. He moved with the confidence of someone who knew the place intimately. However, if his intention were to remain undetected, then he failed.

As the tattered blue cloak passed the boundary of the living room, the woman in the corner closed her book. She looked up with a beaming smile, unmarried by the lack of rest.

"Good morning."

With a whisper, she ushered Alberon out of the room just in case Sable was still sleeping. Their presence was replaced by hushed yet animated conversation coming from the dining room, underlined by footsteps coming down the staircase. The footsteps were too heavy and measured to belong to the little girl.

Whatever rest Sable managed to get it ended with Elrik's touch. His face was close enough for Sable to recognize he was not yet fully awake, his face both puffed and bleary.

"Miss Wither, it's time. Rise and shine for dawn is yet to break."

Not checking if she would get up or if she indeed still asleep, he slowly wandered in the direction of the dining room, where hushed conversation stopped for a moment, then continued again, losing none of its vigor.

Sable jerked awake, rubbing her eyes as she looked around. She could hear whispers but she didn’t think that Alberon was here yet. She stood up, still in her night gown and padded over to where she heard the whispers. Her red hair was sticking up in odd places from sleep. She yawned and looked around before eyes landed on Alberon.”Gee, you decided to grace us with your presents this morning?”Sable grumbled, rubbing her eyes to get the sleep out of them.

In all honesty, she didn’t want to leave with the man. She was content with staying here. Seila was nice and seemed to care about her wellbeing. That was more than she could say about Alberon who still hadn’t even spoken to her for a full thirty minutes and she was now expected to be dragged to who knows where with him.

Sable was also not a morning person which attributed to her lack of enthusiasm for the man.”Where did you go yesterday?”She asked him curiously, going over to stand near him. He had left before she found ask him any real questions and she felt like the man had done so on purpose.

Alberon didn’t seem like the type to be social so she assumed that the family’s enthusiasm was what caused him to get out so quickly. She yawned again and looked out the window, it was barely morning and he was already here to collect her. He had left so quickly and now he was eager to leave that he couldn’t wait another couple bloody hours?

"...visit at least." A snatch could be heard in Seila's voice. She stood before Alberon, palms clasped nervously together, Elrik by her side. Her face was bright as ever, unmarried by age or lack of sleep, but from taunt lips and wide eyes both despair and pleading could be read. Elrik laid hands on her shoulders, both to comfort her and to seemingly steady himself but otherwise keeping silent. The atmosphere was apprehensive, not helped by Alberon's stoic expression as he looked at the couple.

It took a charged moment before the conversation continued, this time by the tall stranger itself. "You cannot. That decision you made long ago."
Seila sighed, surrendering with a slumping of her shoulders. "I know."
She clasped Elrik's hand at her shoulder. "We know and I am sorry for bothering you so. It's just that my soul cries out for its open spaces and clear skies. I just wanted to run across the sacred glade once more."

Ever attentive, if passive, Elrik noticed Sable walking in. He leaned in over Seila's shoulder.
"Let it go love. Think of what we have here. I am sure Master Ridiraik did all he can."

Noticing him looking, Alberon directed his attention at Sable, she being still dizzy from sleep's stubborn clutches. The closer she came to him, the stronger was the familiar smell of woodland hills and vales in blooming spring; there was however a new musky smell of dug earth. The same smell Elrik came in with last night, along with grass-stained clothes and mud-caked boots.

However, the vitality of life did not mirror in Alberon's face as it did in his erect, stoic posture. His eyelids were not fully raised in that half-surprise as they were yesterday and grey circles were forming beneath the emerald eyes.
He first looked at her hair, this part of Sable still drawing the most attention, before giving her a once over, as if expecting to find something. As he looked down at her, what perhaps would be most infuriating was that he did not react to her jabs and questions.

As she finished speaking, Alberon made his now - customary pause - before grabbing his stick by the middle, bringing the stave between the girl and himself. For a moment it seemed he meant to discipline her somehow and even Elrik seemed confused at the scene happening in his dining room. But then a small white bud could be noticed protruding at the side of the stick. Mage closed his eyes for a moment and exhaled.

The small bud closed as if falling asleep. On the other side - Sable's sleepiness would disappear and the numbness of last night and heaviness of eyelids would vanish, to be replaced by a surge of wakefulness.

"I will show you. Prepare and wait for me outside. I will check on Ridia before we depart."

As he moved to upstairs he added over his shoulder. "And don't forget about my cloak."

Despite the early hour, the life in the shop was awakening with anticipation of the coming day. Whether this was the usual for the Willowgroom's Emporium of Curiosities or they just adjusted well, despite the two visitors, was not so easily decided.
Elrik prepared the shop for opening, while Seila prepared breakfast and some clothes she set aside for Sable; the woman gaining a little bit of a spring in her step as she went about her duties. Even upstairs, energetic gusto could be heard coming from the little girl, no doubt provoked by the arrival of the mage.

Sable could tell that there was something going on between Seila and Alberon though she wasn’t sure what. She didn’t know why but she assumed that all of this had something to do with the Vale. The woman had spoken so fondly of it last light that she assumed that must be the reason. Sable didn’t understand why she would want to leave! Seila had a family here and she was loved by her husband and daughter.

Sable looked at Alberon, his stoic face and she could feel no warmth to him. He was cold and she was not looking forward to leaving this place. She flinched a little as he grabbed his staff, her eyes darting to Seila and Elrik. They wouldn’t just let him hurt her? Well, why not? Sable was just some random person. She closed her eyes, preparing for the pain because it wasn’t the first that an adult would have struck her but nothing came. There was a white flower at the end of his stick. She could smell it from where she stood and suddenly, it was like any source of sleepiness left her body. She was wide awake.

Sable watched him descend up the stairs.”He is scary...”She muttered. She then looked at Seila who seemed to be in better spirits. She grabbed the clothes and changed into then before trying to tame her unruly hair. It was short so there wasn’t much she could do with it but she had a comb in her bag and that helped a little.

Sable knew she should be hungry but she felt a little sick. She could feel anxiety pour over her in waves. She put her bag on her back before walking over to Seila.”Thank you for everything, Miss Seila. Nobody has been kind to me in a long time. The adults in my village don’t like me very much, they knew what Mama and didn’t like it.”She looked down at her feet.”Anyway, thanks again. I hope I see you again...”She added quietly and a little shyly.

Sable grabbed the mage’s cloak, it smelled like him. It wasn’t an unpleasant smell either. She actually kind of liked it. It was nice. The smell was comforting which wasn’t what she would use to describe the mage. She then walked through the store, taking one more look at all the objects. She couldn’t read any of the words on the signs so she had no idea what they said. She hoped that she could keep her illiteracy a secret from Alberon.

The small girl exited the store and leaned against it, waiting for the mage.

"You will be fine little missy." Seila replied, briefly looking up from the cutting board "But the time you come to visit, I hope you will be a grown woman and a mage!"
She smiled at the girl before washing her hands. She crouched down and hugged her, walking her to the door in the company of her husband.

"And remember, whatever happens out there - take care of each other."

After some time, smaller than any boredom at waiting would notice, Alberon came out of the shop escorted by joyous goodbyes of tiny little voice. There was a genuine tinge of sorrow underlining that voice but happiness as well. After all, the sooner one says goodbye, the sooner they will be able to welcome them again.

"You seem rested and prepared. Let us go." the tall mage added after sparing Sable a glance before walking down one of the narrow streets of Windshire.

As they departed, the city was still largely asleep. Apart from few drunkards and young merrymakers, one had a unique chance at catching some peace and quiet without the disruption of the city life. Good time to reflect before the day truly begun.
The duo continued south, negotiating between narrow streets and shady alleys as if the mage did not wanted to attract any undue attention. That or he was in supreme hurry.

Soon the cobbled road was replaced with a mud-caked one, virtue of occasional rains brought by the young spring, and as the thatched houses became fewer and fewer the duo broke into the countryside and the many farms that surrounded Windshire. If one looked behind, they could see the entire city as it nestled around the hill, the hill itself crowned with a town hall turned fortress that is better known to Sable as the Mages Guild headquarters.

Ahead of them, the two could see a winding dirt road as it snaked between errant barley and wheat fields and an occasional early-rising farmer as they lugged bucketfuls of milk. Alberon stopped one, briefly talking before the woman filled one of Alberon's sheepskins. To say they were surprised at the two strangers would be an understatement, but coins go a long way and farmer's reluctance was quickly overcomes by a brief transaction between her and the mage.
Alberon spoke some words over the container and taking from his pouch at the waist, sprinkled something into the milk-filled sheepskin before offering it to Sable.

"We won't have a chance for a meal for quite some time. This will sustain you."

Farms were becoming few and far in-between and as they were replaced by an occasional woodcutter's cottage, the two came in-sight of a row of trees spanning the entire view. There they stopped, Alberon sitting on one of the cut tree trunks, releasing a sigh. It seems he got little sleep lately if any, judging by the growing circles under his eyes and this was probably the first time Sable saw him show any kind of reaction to anything. Sitting on the trunk, he inched to the side a bit to allow the girl to sit as well. Fiddling with the stick in his hand, he looked at the forest, his mustaches shifting left-right as if he was deep in thought. He blinked a few times, looking at Sable, shattering the pervading silence between them. His words were hesitant at first as if he was not sure how to say the following:

"Now that we are away from the prying ears of the Guild I should tell you that, despite their wishes, one should not embark on the path of magic study except of their own accord."

Before Sable could say anything, he interjected with a raised palm: "I know, I know you already told me your motivations. But why do you wish to become as strong as your mother?"

He waited for a few moments, adding as he looked at the dense treeline in front of them: "I ask this because, despite your magic talent, you should not be deprived of a chance at a normal life just because you were born such and such. Your mother, in the end, yearned for the same thing also. Guild's talk of controlling yourself because you are a danger is rubbish. They can suppress you and be don with it; but they would rather use you by using your empathy for others against you. Out of their own fear they would scare you into making a choice. But once devoted to the path of magic, there is no going back. As it stands now you still have a choice. I can take you somewhere else, far away - where you can live a quiet and warm life - like little Ridia does."

He shifted his emerald eyes back on the girl and his actions of the past day finally started to make more sense. Did he give her to the Willowgroom's for a day to weaken her resolve or to simply give her another taste at a normal life? But if that is true, why give her barely half a day? Did he attempt to escape last night, but he changed his mind or was turned back? Was little Ridia his last apprentice or perhaps her mother?

Whatever the case, what would seem like another chance to get rid of an unwanted apprentice by seeding her with doubt, slowly gave rise to a sense of a genuine concern, though it was unknown if it was either for him or the girl. Regardless - the choice was there and judging by the mage's words it was quite serious and irrevocable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back