Other Venting

QueenoftheTojo93

I just need to get this off my chest but apparently everyone just wants to write CanonxOC in a doubles format now. What happened to those people that just do the 1x1? Am I the only one?! I must be one of the few RARE people that don't like doubling... Guess I am gonna have to force myself to change if I am gonna get to write with anyone.

You're definitely not the only one. I don't do doubling either. I'd rather just play the canon character for someone's OC than force myself play two characters I can't care about equally.
In most cases if you suggest to play the canon character people want to pair up their OC with, doubling is not required.

I'm not talking about cases where people want to play multiple characters, only about shipping oc x canon. Multiple characters is another story. And it depends on the characters. If it's someone I want to play then why not. I've only ever done doubling with canon x canon, two different ships in the same fandom. Given that I liked both ships and liked both Canon Characters I played.

It's an understandable frustration. When I was younger, I did that a lot (minus the doubling) because I loved being a self-insert in my favorite fandom. I feel like that's what's happening here a lot, but for folk like me, I can play "adjacent" characters, but I'm always super intimidated and iffy about playing canon because I don't "know" the character to play it the way the person wants me to.

Invariably, the "doubled" character gets less attention (so no, Dormamu, I'm not bargaining) and the person gets annoyed because I'm "not doing it right."

And to add to that, you get a long list of fandoms that are flavor of the day but I'm not into any of them, and I'm sorry but chances are, the OC is not as "O" as you're hoping...

...I'm always super intimidated and iffy about playing canon because I don't "know" the character to play it the way the person wants me to.
Me too. I can't really bring myself to write as another person's creation because I always feel like I'm subverting or somehow being disrespectful to the author's work. I feel like this precludes me from like 90% of all the games and players here, which is a shame.

But I suppose that it's better to spend the time to find the right puzzle piece than it is to try to make the wrong one fit by force.

I'm one of those people who only does OC x OC in fandom RP's. I think that's quite rare around here too so I know how you feel. doubling just seems like a way to coerce a partner into writing your wish fulfillment, thus it does not sit well with me. I'm here to write fun and interesting stories, not some stranger's romantic fantasies.

You're definitely not the only one. I don't do doubling either. I'd rather just play the canon character for someone's OC than force myself play two characters I can't care about equally.
In most cases if you suggest to play the canon character people want to pair up their OC with, doubling is not required.

I'm not talking about cases where people want to play multiple characters, only about shipping oc x canon. Multiple characters is another story. And it depends on the characters. If it's someone I want to play then why not. I've only ever done doubling with canon x canon, two different ships in the same fandom. Given that I liked both ships and liked both Canon Characters I played.
I am not sure if you are looking for any partners right now but if you are interested in writing with me I would love to have you on board.

Yep. Well, a lot of people are frustrated at the lack of partners and when it comes to cannon x oc you're looking at a very specific set of interests that need to be catered. I would speculate that the wave of doubling has to do with this, people feel they don't or wouldn't get enough partners, and thus end up trying to boost up interest with a trade (one which I believe has a fundamental flaw to it but that's another matter).

Yeah in my experience pairing based doubling

ex. I want you to play a love interest for me (whether that’s a male or a canon) and I will in turn play a love interest for you (whatever that character type might be).

Is usually born under the assumption that there is a “desirable” and “undesirable” character in every ship. Since you are presumably being asked to play a character the OP deems undesirable they are attempting to show their gratitude by allowing you to make a second more desirable character as well.

Now this of course presupposes everyone has the same preference for characters which is rarely the case in romance in general.

So usually if you just tell the person “Honestly I don’t mind playing the canon/male/etc. We don’t need to make a secondary pairing.” they are fine doing away with doubling.

Mostly because very few of them actually want to make a second pairing they’re just trying to be polite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back