What's new
  • This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

    Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Vault Hunters (OPEN)

Created at
Index progress
Incomplete

-

Index

Dice System
Custom
First

Zer0

Haiku Hitman
counterplay-games-chapter-17-the-ascension-of-emperor-sargos-3-2-1600-logo.jpg- Vault Hunters -

Hey Vault Hunter,

Apologies for all the dangerous risks and inconveniences you had to go through to get this letter. One can't be too careful these days, with all the witch burnings, mage slayers in disguise asking questions and raiding forts with all the authority of the Templars. I hope this letter finds you well, friend, and that your loved ones are safe from this purge.

As promised, here is the date and address of our meeting: 13th of December, The Gentleman's tavern in the fortress of Sanctuary. It's the tavern closest to the ruins of Fell Thalas. And yes, you read that right, Sanctuary, that wonderfully stubborn haven for the truly free. You may have heard of it as a lawless black market overrun with thieves and scoundrels, but I assure you the Templars don't have a hold there, so it's safe for us. And you will be safe from the locals, just prepare a hefty toll to pay at the gate, don't dress rich, and when the gate keepers ask you who you know, show them the insignia on the letter. You can't see it right now, but I'm sure that someone with your magical prowess can make it appear.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you who I am again. I know I promised, but the last two letters were intercepted, I don't know by who, but someone is on to us. So, you don't need to send me a reply. I won't be using the last address I gave you anymore, neither will I be receiving any more letters. Instead, I'll find you in the tavern, alright? I will be waiting there for a week at most, and then I'll be gone.

I do hope that you can make it. Just be careful and don't be followed, and you'll be alright. I look forward to working with you, friend, and I promise that when we meet, this time I'll tell you what I know. Also, to be honest, I researched you and I found the stories you told me of your skills and exploits to be true. My trust in you grows, and I believe that together we can make what people said was impossible possible, and find the Vault of Memories. We'll gain the knowledge to make our dreams come true.

-L


5c1b5f1afa0a108283e2edd90b3b83e8.png

  • - Overview -

    Welcome to Vault Hunters! An action and exploration campaign in a post-apocalyptic Final Fantasy-ish setting, with the dangers of Borderlands and the looming threat of a huge cult that dominates the land, that hunts witches and wizards who dabble in Mechromancy, the melding of magic and machine, which happens to be what your character is interested in. This is the background of the story:

    "The vast wilderness of Leor sits among the solemn ruins of the Age of Arcana. An era where flying cities soared across the skies, and travelers walked through streets paved in emeralds and rubies, thrumming with magic. Men lived for a long time, exchanging their aging parts for unyielding metal and clockwork hearts. Such was their mastery of magic that they could even bend time and tear holes in reality, crossing otherworldly realms for conquest, and bringing back strange creatures and wonderful gifts.

    But it wasn't enough, man's heart had always been plagued by an insatiable greed, and in their arrogance they challenged the Ancients for their homes and their power. This was 600 years ago. They lost the war, they lost their memories, they loss the first languages, and all that's left of them are their crumbling cities, ancient artifacts and tomes that we can't read. Now the weather in Leor rages, a reminder of the anger of the Ancients, as the remnants of their divine creations, the goliaths, colossal monsters that roam the land, keep the remaining dwindling population of man humble.

    Now we struggle and fight each other to survive in this harsh land. One faction is rising, close to taming and making this wilderness civilized: The Templars, fervent worshipers of the Ancients with over ten thousand followers who've vowed to not let history repeat itself. They forbid all magic that is not natural or divine and seek out to destroy the heretics who seek the knowledge of the Arcana."


    Us heretics, in fact. In this campaign our characters are seeking this forbidden magic. Be it as simple as to provide a better life for our loved ones, as mysterious as understanding what this talking floating crystal heart is that shot out of a portal that just appeared out of the blue, or as intriguing as looking for a way to create the Philosopher's stone to give to the dying emperor, your father, so that out of all your siblings, you will be the heir to the Chrysanthemum Throne. Whatever the reason, your search has led you to L, a wanted man infamous for deciphering and leaking out the knowledge about the Vault of Memories, where rumors say is where all the lost knowledge of that prosperous era was hidden away by the Ancients.

a350eeea1293fc7ec4768c3e022cc0e2.jpg
Announcements: Welcome, everyone, we are open again. All interested players, head on to the Secret Files to create your character and feel free to ask me, or our Co-GM Katsuya Katsuya for a summary. If you have any other questions, head on over to the Café and chat us up there.

 
Last edited:

Zer0

Haiku Hitman
" Episode 1: Hunter or Hunted? "

- Sanctuary -

The dawn was freezing as a blizzard howled over the colossal decayed skull of a fallen Ancient. Through the heavy snow, the orange glow of hundreds of torches winked from inside its empty sockets, while a few stray tiny flickering lamplights could be seen slowly making their way up the narrow slippery mountain path that led up to its gaping mouth. Sharp icicles hung down from a heavy drawbridge of scrap metal and giant bones that crossed a chasm between the black mountain and the Ancient's jaw. At the bottom of the chasm, barely visible in the blizzard, was a half frozen river where more little lights were making their way into the mountain. There were rusting spears lining the edge of the drawbridge, and impaled on them were the heads of men, their noses and ears cut off, all wearing helms that bore the emblem of the Templars, a silver tree.

To many this was an insulting display, but to some it was a welcome sight from the bitter cold, for this was the gate of the merry, rowdy fortress town of Sanctuary, the only place where you can get a hot meal, a good bottle of rum, and a soft warm bed for miles around.

Hooded men wrapped in furs and scarves with keen eyes and grim crossbows at the ready stopped travelers at the gate, checking their caravans, asking them their business, and then shoving a dirty sack in front of them where they could place in the payment for the hefty toll to pass through.

The sound of relieved chatter and eager boots echoed in the frozen skull that had one large metal pillar carved with runes that went straight through its side and into the earth. Shivering travelers hurried across a wide walkway of chiselled dark maroon flesh, as hard as stone, past a job posting board a tauren was checking out, then underneath a big hanging shriveled up uvula turned into a glowing reddish amber lantern, and then into the throat. And there was the lively hub of the fortress.

The throat opened up to a vast cavern where in the center was a stack of stone and bone homes, sprawling wooden walkways, and mazes of carvenous dwellings carved out of the stony flesh of the Ancient's chest. Wooden signs that said "No Slave Trading", "The Godfather is Watching You", and some ads such as "Is shooting bullets not good enough for you, get a Maliwan and light some people on fire!", lined the streets. The settlement seemed to go deeper into the mountain, for down, down the torchlights went, past the maroon flesh walls, and into what seemed to be the ruins of a bygone city, the ruins of Fel Thalas.

It was here, past a market place that sold various shady goods, enchanters offering different services, a crowded fighting pit, and a vehicle shop, that the Gentleman's Tavern stood. It was a lively place and music was streaming loudly from the windows. The people inside seem to be partying, yelling "Reckless!" in time with a band. It seemed to be a perfect place to talk without being overheard.

So, Vault Hunters, how do your stories begin?

Katsuya Katsuya Roleplay Skittle Roleplay Skittle Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon AI10100 AI10100 TrashRabbit TrashRabbit Tardy Grade Tardy Grade
 
Last edited:

TrashRabbit

probably from space
Vidya Kay
Entering Sanctuary => The Gentleman's Tavern​

It takes a Vidya a week, hitching rides where she could to make it to Sanctuary. She had spent some time in sanctuary before- It was a place Magni fancied. A place where Magni had contacts. She had spent the last evening trying to remember their names. In her note book she had the words:

John? Jimmy. Janethan? Has a big sword.

Margret Myrtle Martha??? Has a flower tattoo like this; and there was a crude doodle of something that might be a flower.

Along with a little doodle of a goose shooting lasers out of its eyes... so maybe it hadn't been a productive brainstorming session, it had been cold and she was distracted by the prospect of the mysterious L who had sent the letter. She sat on the back of cabbage cart, being pulled by a power sledge that stank as puttered through snow. The owner had agreed to give her a ride because she looked a little dangerous and it never hurt to look a little dangerous when transporting something as valuable as cabbages. The gate keepers gave the seller a rather intense series of questions, even after they had forked over both their shares of the toll.

“Take your hood off,” one said.

Vidya didn't actually say anything to sass the guards but she had a way about her head and shoulders that spoke of eye rolling that she could never shake. But she complied revealing the knit red hat that kept her long fragile ears from getting frost bite and her rosy prism-pink sunglasses. In the past they had helped her control her basilisk stare when it had been easily triggered by mildly annoying persons and now had lingered as an identifying accessorie.

“Take those off.”

She did. Her eyes were keen and blue and mundane as anyones' when she wasn't turning them to stone. She wondered what sort of thing the guards were looking for exactly.

“What brings you here?” One asked.

“Who do you know?” asked another.

Here, in better times she would have let Magni answer, Magni knew people. But the letter had instructed her and now it was time to trust. She pulled the letter out and showed the seal, with little fan fare and showed it to the second guard and answered to the other, “Looking for work, sir.”

The first guard looked dubious. She was a rapscallion by aesthetic, her ratty sweater spilling out under the hem and sleeves of her heavy studded jacket. Her silhouette was not made more heroic either by the loose sleeve on her left side (Her crystallized hand was brittle and she kept it in a sling away from danger.) nor by her jewelry, her glasses, her big boots or the war knife scabbard at her side- there was just no pretending she was here to be a barista.

“Head on in,” Said the second guard. Having not moved from the back of the cart she nodded and popped her hood back up and returned her glasses. She then gave them a little salute as the cabbage salesmen departed into the literal bowel of the city.

She always questioned how people could bring themselves to live here. While the ancients insides had the consistency of Stone- or so she had been told, it still very much looked like flesh. Unsettling at best. Horrifying when she remembered the fact while her hand was on the cold flesh colored rock after having a couple pints of beer.

She doesn't go straight to the pub. It's early. She makes the rounds, deciding if she sticks out too much, deciding Sanctuary as usually is chock full of weirdos enough to blend in. She was at home among the thieves and scoundrels here and they paid her little mind as she went about her way. She perused the market, asks about Martha? You know the girl with the flower tattoo right here? No?- she checks the prices on the type of gizmos she likes to buy and sell, sanctuary was a good place to fence after all. And as the cold afternoon bled into a cold subterranean night she finally flit into the Gentleman's Tavern.

She ordered herself a deluxe hot chocolate with a shot of whiskey it and made herself at home at a table off to the side with a view of the street.

She sipped for a while, watching people on the street pass- watching the other patrons inside. She tried to guess which one of them was her pen pal L, and had no idea she'd been conned into meeting strangers at a pub to go on an adventure.
 
Last edited:

AI10100

Expert Lurker
Vincent Dublois
- Sanctuary -
Vincent remembered exactly how he had gotten to Sanctuary. It took a bit of sweet talking with the merchant woman who was more amused by him than anything else. She was a sweet young woman and Vincent felt shame when she seemed to deflect any of his charming points. However, she did make for great company. In exchange for being able to travel using her vehicle, he would have to help her with her sales as well as generally just putting more attention to her stall more than anyone else. It was enjoyable when he was allowed to perform which drew attention to him and therefore bring more attention to her stall.

"Why are you heading off to Sanctuary anyway? Place is great for your kind-" She raised her eyebrow and cocked towards the raven spirit squawking on his shoulder.

"Our kind, you mean? You're housing me and the Templars would probably have your head too." Vincent pointed out as he leaned backwards on his seat, scratching the spirit's neck for a moment.

"Okay. Our kind." She repeated herself with a heavy sigh as she turned her head fully back on the empty stretch of road in font of them. She drummed her fingers against the wheel. "Anyway, Sanctuary is way out there. I'm heading towards there because there's some good potential trade. But you? A performer?"

He pursed his lips. As much as Rebecca was a fun person, he couldn't exactly reveal to everyone what he was going to do. He wasn't sure if that would be reciprocated well by even non-templars. He could see her eyes glancing towards him, gauging his expression. "The entire world is my stage!" He suddenly burst out, straightening her posture and throwing an arm out - disturbing the spirit and it squawked and flew upwards to perch on top of the carriage. "If there was a place out there which I haven't reached, I will aim to reach it!" She opened her mouth to respond but Vincent continued on. "Have I ever told you about the time I stumbled into Surt's Fall?"

He hadn't allowed her to continue on to question him as he launched into another story of the hidden area of Surt's Fall. Rebecca wouldn't forget how he had paused, she was far too perceptive to let that go. But as long as he can avoid talking about it and keeping the lie straight, then she wouldn't pry.

The temperature gradually dropped as they traveled towards Sanctuary. She had offered to give him some extra layers but he valiantly took his cape and wrapped it on himself. He at least had the decency to line his cape with more insulating fabric in the event that he had to travel far up north. Nevertheless, his costume was already warm enough.

"Halt!" One of the guards called out and Rebecca pulled the carriage to a stop. "Travelling merchants eh?" He let out a light chuckle as he gestured for the other guard to go check the wares that they were carrying.

"More performer for me really. I'm just hitching a ride with the lovely woman right here." Vincent said with a light tone as he slung his arm around Rebecca, a bright grin on his face.

The guard looked at him, skeptical. "Performer you say?"

"Not obvious with what he's wearing? In this day and age?" Rebecca patted his chest with the back of her hand. "Dude thinks it's still in style. Who tries to go medieval when we're all focused on science."

He let out a mock gasp, brushing off her hand and pressing his own hand to his chest in a look of utter offense. "How dare- People appreciate the classics!" He leaned towards the guard who was watching them with amusement flickering in his eyes. "Don't you, good sir?"

The guard shrugged. "It's okay." He then looked over to his partner who came back with a nod. "Well then, pay up your taxes and you can go right on inside."

Rebecca and Vincent gave each other a tight lipped smile as they dropped the required tax onto the guard's waiting hands and then proceeded forward. They did want to somehow distract the guards enough so that they can pass through without the hefty toll but such was life. He helped her set up her stall before bidding goodbye. Rebecca gave him a short hug. "Keep in touch. Stay safe." She whispered to his ear, a hint of melancholy in her voice.

They had been travelling for quite a while together. And they may have gotten into some trouble and got themselves out of trouble together. It wasn't an easy thing to keep their relationship strictly professional - it bled through friendship. Vincent wrapped his arms around her in a bear hug, squeezing her affectionately. "I will. I'll see you some other time Becca. Stay safe."

And with that, they parted ways. Vincent went to the Gentleman's Tavern where they were supposed to meet. It was loud. The kind of place where he typically thrived. However, this was not the kind of tavern where he could perform like the bards of old. It was a shame. Still, he could appreciate the music. Unfortunately, he couldn't party with them this time. He had to meet with the mysterious L. So, he spotted an empty spot and sat down.

But it couldn't be mistaken that Vincent was singing along to the band whenever he could.
 

Roleplay Skittle

Eternally Awkward
Sassafras Jenkins
- Sanctuary -

Looming amidst the crowd that was lined up to enter sanctuary was a white woolen creature with two heads and chicken legs... not really, it was actually just Sassy riding on top of Ralph, both of which were covered in the plush fleece woven into coats for each of them that she had bartered off of a merchant well before they had reached the snowy lands that surrounded Sanctuary. Sassy really hated waiting in line like this, it just wasn't something she was used to having to do, but it wasn't so bad as she hunkered down in the soft hood that covered her dark hair, her face shielded from the snow by her goggles and a dark brown knit scarf made from various desert plants that grew near her home. At least she was warm.

The same could also be said for Ralph who also had goggles on to protect his eyes, and like Sassy, he wore a fluffy hood. Nibblet was just as warm as the other two, snuggled up against Sassy's stomach where she hardly stirred unless she needed to make a tinkle or wanted a snack. Sassy preferred to keep Nibblet close at any time, even when it wasn't cold, at least when they were around a lot of people. The feline was small for an adult cat, she appeared to be only a few months old, but that wasn't Sassy's worry. It was Nibblet's eyes. She didn't have normal cat eyes, hers were fueled by mechromancy and Sassy didn't like attention being drawn to that fact, much like she didn't like attention being drawn to her arm which was easily camouflaged by a pair of gloves and the coat she now wore.

At least the line was steadily moving. It seemed no one appeared suspicious thus far to the gatekeepers and no one seemed to have a desire to challenge the toll. Sassy was thankful, it meant she didn't have to wait much longer and she was definitely growing impatient. She was also a little unsettled by the decapitated heads that lined the sides of the bridge, just because they were pretty gruesome and not for any other reason, but that feeling was well hidden on account of her clothing as well as just her relaxed facade. On one hand these were Templars and on another they people outside of it all. Soon enough she was at the front of the line and didn't waste any time, she wanted the line to keep moving and she wanted to be inside already. From the feel of it, so did Ralph who was prancing from foot to foot eagerly.

"Hey there boyos!" Sassy declared exuberantly as she tugged the woven fabric of her mask from her face and tucked it under her chin, grinning brightly, a ray of sunshine on an otherwise dreary day, "gotta' love this freezing weather! Hope you fellas have somethin' ta keep you warm!"

The two guards glanced at each other as Sassy raised the goggles from her face, revealing her warm blue eyes that could be mistaken for gray and were thickly lined in black which made it look like she had on a second set of goggles despite the guards now being able to easily see her eyes. Perhaps these guys had been out in the cold too long but that didn't deter Sassy's chipper grin as she looked at them from her perch atop Ralph. One of the two guards stepped nearer, "what's your business?"

It was honestly very difficult for Sassy to restrain herself and not crack some sort of inappropriate joke that would likely make this interaction take longer, so instead she answered directly, lifting a part of Ralph's coat that covered her and the saddle in order to expose a brown saddle bag, "well my good sirs, I happen to be in possession of something I reckon is a rarity in these parts and I was hopin' that maybe the docs at your infirmary would like to do some business with me."

"Oh really? In your possession huh? What might that be?" While Sassy conversed with the one guard, the other moved around to her other side, examining Ralph and the bags on his saddle.

Sassy didn't act like she was paying any mind to the guard investigating her and just focused on the one that was speaking to her, "Surt's Wart, I harvested them myself," she deftly unbuckled the pouch in question with her left hand and showed the guard the bundle of glowing red mushrooms within, "See?"

The guard looked in the saddle bag before looking back to Sassy as the other guard came back around and also looked in the bag, "very well... pay the toll and be on your way."

She carefully closed the satchel again and let the woolen coat fall back over it before reaching in her pocket and pulling out a gray knit bag with the required payment in it and opening it, dumping the contents out into the dirty bag that the silent guard held, allowing them to see the contents as it fell from her bag into theirs. The guard holding the bag nodded and the nod was returned by the guard that evidently did the talking before he looked back to Sassy, "keep to the right when you enter the main cavern and you'll eventually find the infirmary."

Two of her gloved fingers went to her brow as she gave a casual salute, still smiling before she urged Ralph to trot on across the bridge. Once they were well away from the entrance and passing through the throat, she let out a sigh of relief. It was nice to be through and done with that nonsense. Sassy did just as she had declared she was going to and stopped first at the infirmary once she found it. It was a trade off in a way, entry permitted to the Sanctuary at a cost but gaining that cost back by selling her wares, and with no trouble was always nice. It was still a little early to hit the tavern and despite all of her various faults, one of Sassy's virtues was that she generally tried to be punctual when it was important.

First she tended to Ralph, making sure that he hadn't gotten frostbite during their journey and giving his legs a rub down, seeing he was fed and everything and once he was securely settled and stabled at the inn, she did then venture into the tavern and take a seat at the bar, if anything just for something to eat because she could only stand so much jerky. A steaming hot bowl of udon would totally hit the spot. Those thick yummy noodles and piping hot broth would fill her belly and leave her nice and toasty and she would definitely make sure to order it with extra beef, just so she could slip slivers of the tender meat into the bag at her hip that Nibblet had slipped into when Sassy removed her coat, seeing the lively and crowded establishment as too hot to keep wearing it.

Having beef at all was actually quite a treat, it wasn't really reasonable nor even really possible to keep cattle at Surt's Fall and while the locals had grown used to it, most people weren't very fond of the juicy cave grubs that could be found in the warm damp caves of the ravine town. It wasn't a taste thing, they didn't really taste bad, if anything some people just couldn't get over the idea of eating a grub that was the size of a large turkey. Oh well, to each their own. It was nice to be enjoying something different somewhere different and Sassy enjoyed the atmosphere, Nibblet on the other hand just seemed to want to eat the beef and have nothing to do with anything else, which was totally fine.
 

Heyitsjiwon

One Thousand Club


Lothar idly walked through the market, casually looking at the wares. He had arrived two days to check out the location and make sure that there wasn't a trap being set up. So far, it seemed to be exactly what it looked like, which wasn't of much comfort to Lothar. Still, he wanted answers, so he would have to bare with the situation. The sight of the decapitated heads in front of the fortress was rather much for him. Lothar understood the hatred that some had for the Templars, yet... desecrating their bodies like that? That wasn't mere cruelty. That was malice. Lothar knew that he would have to keep his head low and not draw much attention, which is why he had spent some time here buying small things and provisions. He took on the appearance of a traveler, which in all fairness, he was one. And bought things like a book for the road. The little nondescript book with no words or images in the cover turned out to be a romance book of some sort. No wonder it had no cover around these parts. No burly man here would want to be caught dead reading that or in their possessions.

Regardless, Lothar knew that today was the 13th. Today, he would get some answers and find others who sought the same thing as he did, the Vault. What they sought it for... Lothar couldn't guess. Some likely sought it for their own personal gain or something, but Lothar would be damned if the secrets of the Vault were shared with everyone. This fortress itself was testament to how low mankind had fallen. From the ruins of a once, great and ancient city sprung up what was essentially a bandit's fortress, a mockery of civilization and prosperity. The young Wolff had strong feelings about this place, but he kept reminding himself that he had to keep a low profile and just carry on with his mission.

With the stage set, and the time having arrived, Lothar made his way to the Gentleman's Tavern, where music could be heard streaming out of. Lothar was certain that no one would be able to overhear any conversations in this place, but would he even be able to hear anyone else? He began to doubt if he would be able to hear himself think in the place, regardless, with no options left, Lothar entered the Tavern and began to look around for this mysterious "L" who seemed to know much about Lothar... a bit too much for comfort. He just wanted to go in, find out what he wanted to find out, and just leave without leaving too much of an impression here.
 

Zer0

Haiku Hitman
gentleman's tavern.jpg
- Gentleman's Tavern -

After the cabbage cart rolled by, the second guard sneezed and rubbed his nose. He sniffed from the cold, muttering something about graveyard shifts. Over at the job board, the tauren, an old hulking shaggy grey bull wearing a monster skull shoulder guard, with blue war paint over his bored eyes, glanced at him, disgusted, but one could swear the guard gave him the tiniest of nods.

Hoisting the thick sling of a short log reinforced with worn steel that looked dented in many place, over his back, the tauren snorted at the job post board, as though disappointed, and then casually lumbered after the cabbage cart; another loiterer, this one a drow, her dark skin seemingly covered in bandages under her thick fur cloak and red scarf, walked over to the job board and just leaned on the bony wall next to it, absently playing with her braided hair.

The old tauren wasn't hard to miss, he was almost twice as tall as a man and four times as wide and always happened to be wherever Vidya was, either trading with a merchant, eating, or chatting with old friends he happened to meet on the street. This tauren seemed to be a local. Once or twice, there'd be thugs who noticed Vidya's arm and look happy there was a disabled person they could bully for some good scraps of metal, only to look disappointed when they notice the old bull in the distance giving them a steely eye and a slow warning shake of his horned head.

He didn't go inside The Gentleman's Tavern, even though the door was comfortably wide enough for two taurens to pass through. Instead he stopped at a vehicle shop called "Scooter's" at the corner of the tavern street, then bent down to talk to a little gnome girl with messy hair that looked like a rat's nest of colorful beads, baubles, and twigs. She was animatedly chatting with a human man in oil stained trousers, before looking up happily at the Tauren and nodding at him, grinning. The tauren then lumbered back towards the Heart District.

This gnome came in the lively tavern a couple of minutes after Vidya took a seat. Her messy hair bobbed up and down beneath the sea of tables that were taller than her, as she skipped around the crowd and stopped right beside the Basilisk. "Excuse me, friend, but what brings you to this wonderfully stubborn haven for the truly free?"
TrashRabbit TrashRabbit

- Sanctuary -
"The Past Two Days"

There had been two strangers following Lothar around ever since he stepped foot into Sanctuary: a bald man with manacle scars on both his wrists and ankles, and a wererat lady with large golden hoop bangles around her tattered ears and who wore brightly patterned clothing. They were never seen together, never came close, nor did they seem like they wanted something from him, all they did was just watch. Though after one time, when whispers followed the wandering saint about how he closely resembled the son of a powerful duke who supported the Templars, the bald man and wererat were seen garbed in better armor and were never without blunderbusses, long barreled flintlock rifles that shot out musket balls that were sometimes known to be lightning enchanted.

On the day of the meeting, the one tailing him today was the bald man who didn't follow him into the tavern, but stopped at a vehicle shop called, "Scooter's" looking for something. When he couldn't find what he was looking for, he casually entered the tavern after Lothar, making his way to a table where a gnome was speaking to a lady with a crystallized arm. He whispered to her for a bit, before she smiled at him and nodded. Then he took a seat two tables close to hers and lit up a smoke pipe and just casually watched Lothar, one hand on the blunderbuss on his lap.

Meanwhile, the gnome girl called out loudly to him. "Heeeeey!" she waved her hand. "Why don'tcha sit over here, friend? You really didn't dress rich, that's good!"

Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon


c6f6adc6112a67b4821e65f97740ca4b.jpg
- Gentleman's Tavern -

One by one, the moment Vincent and Sassy entered the tavern, they were greeted by a blare of music. Whatever enchantment it was, it seemed that there was magic in the building that somewhat muted the sound from outside.

A couple of goblins, heavily armed, each wearing checkered cloth bands around their upper arms were idling by the door. They looked at Vincent and every patron that came in with a scrutinizing look, looking at any bumps on their clothing that were telltale signs of weapons, but let people be. The air was thick with clouds of multi-colored smoke and the smell of booze; a talkative hunchback who seemed to be the barman was bent over trying to fix what seemed to be a broken ECHO, while two summoned mage hands were mixing drinks and sliding them down to customers; there were four other doors on the first floor: one had a padlock with a sign overhead that said "Ragnite Power Room. Keep Out", another was open and seemed to lead to a busy kitchen to the right of the tavern, to the right next to a flight of stairs that led up to the second floor was a fancy looking door flanked by two goblins with the same checkered bands who seem to not letting just anyone in; and the fourth door seemed to lead out to the back judging by the window right next to it that showed a darkened backyard where there seemed to be a stable for guests sleeping overnight.

Right at the very back of the cavern was a caged stage. It had a mesh of wire fencing surrounding it, and no wonder, because apart from the people jumping up and down to the beat of the song, there were people who were throwing rubbish at the band too: a human man in a jester's outfit who was singing together with a bearded lady, and a werecat strumming an axuitar (a guitar that was half axe).

There was all kinds in this bar. There was a lady with a crystallized arm, a gnome with hair that desperately needed a comb, and even a pair of vampires people were giving a wide berth as they sipped mugs full of what was probably blood. Despite this the mood of the bar was very chill in a loud playful way where everyone's just winding down having fun, gambling, playing darts, even engaging in some arm wrestling for scraps of metal.

When the song ended, most everyone clapped, the jester grinned raising his hands in the air. "Thank you, as always, you are a lovely crowd. Stage is now open for all you other musicians and poets out there; tipping hat at the front of the stage, and everybody, play nice in my tavern. Ori, give everyone another free round!" he added to the hunchback who gave him the thumbs up. "To Vugduk's retirement!"

"TO VUGDUK!"

Everyone was clapping, looking over at one of the goblins, this one a very old and scarred one who was missing a leg and was waving and regaling everyone about the monster that almost killed him and his crew beneath Fel Thalas. The Gentleman gave a bow then strode off the stage with his band. He gave Vugduk a clap on the shoulder, before going through the fancy door flanked by two goblins.

And then, two snow covered men came in the tavern looking around angrily. Vincent and Sassy would recognize them as the two guards at the skull gate. "Have ya seen a woman, fleece coat, goggles, rode a chocobo that had a coat and goggles too?" they loudly asked one of the goblins idling by the door.

So, for this one, Skittle, please write your post first and leave it open ended. I'll control the guards. After putting up your post, roll as follows:

If Sassy doesn't want to come clean and wants to hide, please make a DC22 Larceny Agility Roll. If she wants to bluff her way out, please make a DC22 Charm Intelligence Roll.

If anyone wants to help Sassy, please write your post first and leave it open ended too. After that, you can either make the Charm Intelligence roll as well, or give Sassy Advantage where she instead makes the roll twice and takes the best result.

This is how we do teamwork rolls.

AI10100 AI10100 Roleplay Skittle Roleplay Skittle TrashRabbit TrashRabbit Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon
 
Last edited:

Tardy Grade

The Page Turner
“A week”, they’d said. Not a lot of time when you’re evading shadows and dodging glances. Certainly not reasonable when the Sanctuary was your destination. It wasn’t a place you could get to without drawing a few looks.



But time had been invested.



There was a ‘pay out’ at the end of this and Bradley didn’t want to quit so close to resolution.

He wove the red wraps around his forearms tighter as he made his way past a couple on the street. Head low, he finally made it onto a section where the tavern, his destination, was in sight.



“Stop.” He’d made it to the door before two voices spoke in unison. Both deep and not the least bit friendly. More eyes on him as they did that.

”I have ... an appointment.” Bradley spoke low so only the guardsmen could hear him.

”What was that? Louder little man.” The taller of the two guards raised a hand to cup around his head as he tilted slightly.

“Maybe it’s that thing he’s got covering his pretty little face?” Joked the shorter guard as they impressed upon Bradley their impressive ability to throw barbs.

”I think you’re right. Mask off.”

”...” Bradley muttered something under his breath.

“What?” This time the taller guard was genuinely unsure of what was said while the shorter of the two shoved Bradley back a few steps.

”Damn graveyard shift brings out all the loons.” The taller guard was also bristling now but they both paused when Bradley reached into his bag.

”I have ... an appointment. Invited. Expected. You’re ... delaying that.”

His eyes beneath the hood seemed oddly lit and his body began to waft of heat as he stood there. Clenching the letter still in the bag. Totally forgetting to pull it out as he said his part.
 
Last edited:

Katsuya

Silly artist
- Isa Bianchi -
“Inside Sanctuary”

Okay, maybe he should take the bartender’s word about the liquor being strong but it tastes so good~ Isa leaned back, placing one arm behind him and putting his weight on the cushion of his motorcycle’s seat; while his other hand lightly swirled the alarmingly neon green colored drink in hopes the ice will dilute it. The red-head arrived a few hours ago and he mostly spends his time near the tavern since that’s what the letter recommended for them to meet up.

He snorted quietly at the thought, taking another sip of the strong stuff. As much as Isa would like to believe this L guy and his so-called claim to know the forbidden magic, there’s not much that can make Isa believe his claims other than his uncle also having a similar letter. So he can only hope it’s not another mislead. Maybe he should be glad that his uncle was mislead too if that were to come.

Indigo eyes spotted another set of greedy eyes staring at his bike and narrowed. Then with an impish grin, he reached for one of the handles and revved the engine, spooking the invasive intruder to falling back in a basket that was filled with fish.

“That should teach ‘em to stare.” Isa muttered under his breathe before taking another sip. Hearing the crumbled ice’s gentle tap on the bronzed cup. That’s when the loud cheering started from inside and the redhead lazily rolled his head on his left shoulder to look at the entrance way, raising his brows. Then he slightly raised his cup.

“To Vugduk.” He chugged the rest, gasping when he finished. “Yep, still pretty good stuff.”

Isa’s playful grin dwindled to a curious one as he overheard some rumbling close by. Rolling his head to his right shoulder, he spotted the source and snorted again. It’s the guards from the entrance way. Asking for a woman and a bird with goggles . . . Goggles on a bird?

And then they stopped a figure that has a sheet over him, asking questions —- Isa is assuming. So he watched on from a distance. Raising a brow and wondering if maybe he should get another drink from the tavern to watch what might happen.

DE1C7727-9309-4739-9E50-4054FBBE056A.jpeg

Zer0 Zer0 AI10100 AI10100 Roleplay Skittle Roleplay Skittle Tardy Grade Tardy Grade Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon TrashRabbit TrashRabbit
 

Roleplay Skittle

Eternally Awkward
Sassafras Jenkins
- Sanctuary -
Gentleman's Tavern​

Sassy was just finishing the last of her udon, holding the bowl vertically as she slurped the last of the broth down, when the two guards from the gate came strolling in looking for... her.

"Oh sh--" She cursed under her breath into the now empty bowl, not quite lowering it just yet in order to hide her face. Easiest thing to do would be to scurry under the bar and crawl along the floor to one of the tables to hide, but that would be pretty conspicuous and she might get stepped on. Her stony colored eyes searched the room, locating the doors, one of which was bound to lead outside considering the window beside it. Another mode of escape but the logic said that running away would be stupid because eventually they would find her and trying to dodge the guards for her entire stay would impede her general ability to function in Sanctuary and make what she came to do all the more complicated than it really needed to be.

No. The best option was to face the obstacle head on, and so that's exactly what she decided to do. Granted Sassy was fit, she wasn't the sort that struck fear into others except for maybe when she was angry, which was hardly ever and certainly wasn't right now. She wore her usual reinforced leather armor with the addition of long leather gloves that reached all the way up her arms to her shoulders where buckles across her upper back and chest secured them to each other in order to keep them from slipping out of place. Probably her least intimidating accessory was the black tutu around her hips, on top of which on one side sat the pouch that Nibblet and her more important belongings were placed, another pouch on her right hip stored her metals and alchemy goods, and at the back of her belt was her tactical knife and outside of that she would appear to be unnarmed.

There was a loud clunk as she set her large bowl back down on the bar top, sliding the metals necessary across the counter to Ori and rose from her stool, striding confidently over to the guards that had come in search of her, "'allo gents!" She said in a British accent, clapping one of the guards on the back, "nice ta see you boys gettin' in out of the cold. I'll tell ya, the weather here is a far cry from what I'm used to!"

She laughed cheerily, appearing completely oblivious as to why the two guards were actually there, "buy you a drink?" She offered in a friendly manner, her demeanor completely cool and collected.
 
Last edited:

TrashRabbit

probably from space
Vidya Kay the Basilisk
The gentleman's Tavern
Zer0 Zer0 Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon

Vidya raised a brow as the gnome approached her, her colorful hair and accessories bobbing as she came. She walked with unavoidable purpose and Vidya smiled as she quoted a bit of the letter that had particularly stuck with her.

"Hey friend," She greeted back. Her eyes followed the Gnome's call to bring Lothar over to the table. He didn't look like anyone special, but in such a measured intentional way that Vidya was sure to note it, not yet sure what to make of it. She hadn't realized this was going to be a group event, and would have perhaps hired a merc to come with her if she had grasped that sooner. "I'm here to meet up with a pen pal of mine-" She said, meaning to ask if she knew them, maybe mention L. But the music had dropped out and a cheer had gone up making it hard to hear and then, two guards had entered. And they ate up her attention- The woman they sought, who looked like the kind of feral Vidya usually got along with, got up and approached them. Bold. Very bold.

"That's going to blow up fast," She said out of the corner of her mouth to the gnome and the new comer and finished the last of her hot chocolate concoction. Just in case she was right.
 

Heyitsjiwon

One Thousand Club
Zer0 Zer0 TrashRabbit TrashRabbit

Lothar looked over to the female gnome and was... cautious. The man who had been following him for the last two days was sitting quite close and packing some heat. The gnome seemed friendly, but if she were truly a friend, then would she really need some bodyguards nearby? Lothar began to walk over to the gnome and the person that she was sitting with. At that moment, two guards came in, looking for someone, but as long as it wasn't him that they were looking for then he didn't really want to get involved. He looked over to the other person sitting with the gnome and replied "It probably will, but it isn't our problem to deal with unless we make it ours and I have no desire to do so."

Lothar turned his attention back to the gnome and replied "Hello, friend. Mind asking your vigilant partner to take a little walk? Hard to talk freely when it feels like your parents are constantly trying to keep an eye on you so to speak." with a curt smile as a he took a seat at the table.
 

TrashRabbit

probably from space
Vidya Kay
Gentleman's tavern
Zer0 Zer0 Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon

Vidya's eyebrows perked up as Lothar expressed his pragmatism and joined the table. There were a lot of his type in the world and she made a note of it. She sat quietly as he pointed out the merc. She had noticed the Tauren following her since she arrived, but he had never made an approach, (which could have meant a lot of things) but she wasn't the type to worry until things were happening. But now she realized he'd been sent, by what ever net work L had in place in the city, which she suddenly had a hunch was bigger than she had anticipated.
She continued to keep an eye on the guards and the unknown woman they were after, feeling confident that the Tauren had been sent to keep an eye on her by L or L's people and that for the moment her biggest threat of harm was in a bar fight breaking out.
 

AI10100

Expert Lurker
Vincent Dublois
- Sanctuary -

Vincent had leaned back onto his chair as he watched the band play - amusement playing in his eyes as he watched the performance. He took another look around the tavern and, just like any other tavern he had gone to, there were a variety of people that had taken perch in it. Truly, a wonderful scene! For there was no place like a tavern that would readily accept even misfits of the highest caliber for you only have to have money to be accepted in one. And he could see why L thought it was a good idea to meet up in a place such as this. Mysterious strangers talking with odd men and women would not be out of place.

As the song ended, Vincent had clapped along with the others. Apparently, it was an open stage kind of thing and an opportunity Vincent would have normally grabbed. But you see, he had to meet someone and so he had to let the opportunity to showcase his own abilities pass by. However, his grin was still present as a round of drinks were dispersed among the patrons.

"To Vugduk!"

He yelled alongside the others before gulping down the alcoholic beverage but didn't quite finish it yet. He looked over to who this Vugduk person is. Seemed to be a goblin adventurer and what a number of adventurers he certainly has been to if his wounds were any indication! Vincent had to strain his ears to hear even a small amount of the tale Vugduk was telling. He had stood up so that he can come closer, eager to hear what the aged adventurer was saying when the door had suddenly opened to reveal two guards from earlier.

With his attention turned to the guards, he listened as they demanded to know where a certain person was. He made a cursory glance around the tavern and he saw someone who may fit the bill. Something about her was strangely familiar. He then turned back to the guards. Then back at the figure... who was now slowly walking towards the guards. He slowly walked over as well. He knew it was a bad idea to get involved with this but where was the fun in not taking a leap?

"Ah gentlemen!" He called out as he drew closer, still not shaking off the feeling of familiarity the woman was exuding. Normally, he'd be able to remember but with the guards before them now, there wasn't any time. "You seem a tad agitated no? Why don't we all calm down and not ruin the tavern's mood. Vugduk's apparently retiring and they're having a round on the house!" He cheerily said as he gestured over to the talking goblin. Hopefully, that would at least put their minds elsewhere.

If not, well, he could say that he at least tried.
 

Zer0

Haiku Hitman
- Sanctuary -
"Skull Gate"

"H-hey, we're just doing our jobs ---," began the taller guard who faltered when he saw the glow of Bradley's eyes under the shadow of his hood, but the shorter one, a midget, cut him off.

Gripping his crossbow more firmly, he stepped forward looking up and squaring off with the Bloodless who was a couple of feet taller than him. "Whatever your reaching for better be a sandwich, little man, cause' you're gonna have to eat it." the midget menaced.

Some passersby were stopping to watch; a bandit with a half a circular saw embedded in his helmet was betting with his pals who wore similar helmets decorated with spiky blades.

A couple of the other guards noticed the gathering onlookers. "Hey! You're holding up the line! If he's paid the toll let him through!" yelled one of them annoyed.

The tall guard, who still looked warily at Bradley's glowing eyes, put a hand on the midget's shoulder. The midget gave Bradley a long pointed stare, then stepped aside; the saw-helmet bandits awwww'd in mock disappointment at the midget, who glared at them. With that the tall guard presented the sack for the gate toll, but kept a respectful distance and didn't get into Bradley's face this time.

After this the ambling line outside the gate continued on inside. And there was one lady the guards inspected, who showed a letter with the same insignia on Bradley's.

"My business is my own." she said, under a hooded cloak, and quickly tucked the letter back into her winter coat, before paying the gate toll and trudging inside with the rest.

Tardy Grade Tardy Grade

- Gentleman's Tavern -
"Outside"

There were a lot of awed onlookers gawking at Isa's motorbike. Judging by the whispers and the strangers who approached him asking where he got his bike and who made it, there was no working vehicle in Sanctuary. Apparently, the vehicle shops around the fort specialized in making engines for canoes. There was a mechanic called Scooter who's been scratching his head for years in making a four wheeled vehicle he dug up in Fel Thalas work, but never managed to get the damaged thing starting, nor was he able to figure out what parts he was missing.

It was at this time that a tall slithering naga shoved pass the gathering crowd, hissing, "Out of the way", the thick tendrils hanging from his dragon-like jaw quivering impatiently. He was blue, with spiky fins protruding from armor that seemed to be made out of enchanted stone and scrap metal. He carried a steel and frost trident with him, and slithered towards Isa on a snake like torso with thick scales that reflected the torch lights in stained-glass like iridescent hues.

He gruffly presented a letter to the Candy Fiend. "Godfather summons you tomorrow. Bring your bike." he hissed.

Katsuya Katsuya

- Gentleman's Tavern -
"Dining Hall"

The gnome looked curiously at Sassy and Vincent, as though she couldn't place where she's seen them before. "Uh-huh, we get troublemakers fairly common here and the occassional bar brawl, but way to pick a fight with the Carvers!" she told Vidya and Lothar, looking at Sassy ,impressed. To those who have been in Sanctuary before, the Carvers was a nickname given to the henchmen of the Godfather, the big boss of Sanctuary, and one could guess why judging by the ear-less and nose-less heads outside the skull gate.

The little gnome was surprised at Lothar's statement."So you noticed. You have very keen eyes." she looked at the bald man who still continued to stare and smoke his pipe. "He's alright, he's just here to protect me. I'm not particularly strong, you see, and I know that we've exchanged letters in the past and I researched you, but this is the first time I'm meeting you in person. The last couple of letters have been intercepted too, and more than anything I'm afraid one of you could be fake, or planning to double-cross me. It happened before, and the one who did it got away." she said in a hushed voice to the two of them.

"But where are my manners?" she straightened up cheerfully. "Allow me to introduce me self." she stood on her chair. "My name is L, your fearless leader and the one who needs your help because I can't do things by myself, but! I am not useless because I have . . ." and here she paused dramatically, leaning forward on the table. "The key to the Vault of Souls." she whispered conspiratorially. "And I would like to show it to the both you, if you would follow me, please, after we make our introductions."

She plopped back on her chair. "Oh! Also, I gathered a whole bunch of ya talented individuals, so you two are comrades now. We have a bunch more who'll be joining us later this week and from what I've gathered they're alright too."

TrashRabbit TrashRabbit Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon


- Uh Oh -
"Round I"



  • The goblin was about to reply, when the guards looked up from the loud clunk and narrowed their eyes in recognition of Sassy. The guard she clapped on the back, a blonde man with a short scruffy beard and a scar across his forehead slowly looked at her hand, then back to her face, with a quiet, simmering, unimpressed look of dare-you-touch-me? His companion behind him, a chubby woman with big round shoulders gripped her loaded crossbow at the ready and shot Vincent a warning glare.

    "Nobody skips the toll, unless you wanna look funny eating noodles with no teeth." the blonde guard seethed, bad hot breath wafting over Sassy's face, then suddenly his hand lunged for the collar of Sassy's leather armor.
    - BATTLE BASICS-

    Hello, everyone, so in battles, please wait until the GM has finished setting up the scene. You'll know it's okay to reply when I've put up a post that has "Round 1" on it, such as this post here. There is no posting order, so you can reply any time.

    Now, our battles are composed of rounds, and each round is "6 seconds" long in the world of our Vault Hunters. And in each round you get to make 2 Actions: Major Action and Minor action.

    To keep things simple, a minor action can be used to move from one area to another. An area is usually as big as a room. If you are already in the area you wish to be, such as being in the tavern's dining hall where a guard's about to attack, you can save your minor action to do other things which will be posted later, for now let's stick to movement.

    A major action is used to attack 1 target unless you have an ability or spell that allows you to attack more. To know the available targets, the GM will post the enemies and you can pick one.

    Now, the GM controls the enemies. So when you make your post, please leave it open ended and detailed enough for me to know what you want to happen, such as mentioning that your character is aiming at the head if you want a head shot. And then you make your combat roll.

    BUT, if your attack defeats your target, reducing their Health to Incapacitated or 0, feel free to edit your post and write how you finished them off, which can be either non-lethal or lethal.

    So, since there is no posting order, don't worry about being late or being the last one to post, because it doesn't matter. The things that happen in a round happens all at once, so even if you are the first one to post and defeated the enemy before I wrote the enemy's turn, the enemy still gets to act, and all of this will be concluded at the end of the round. It is at the end of the round where I write and roll for all the enemy's actions and write about how they were defeated if you chose not to write how your character finished them off. The end of the round is also when I deduct damage from everyone's Health from the battle and declare whoever is down incapacitated. The conclusion also sets up Round 2, and the cycle begins again.

    Roleplay Skittle Roleplay Skittle AI10100 AI10100
 
Last edited:

Roleplay Skittle

Eternally Awkward
Sassafras Jenkins
- Sanctuary -
Gentleman's Tavern​

Unlike Vincent's inability to place who she was, Sassy had no problem recognizing the travelling performer and possible delinquent. Of course she likely had the advantage considering it was pretty difficult to forget a new face in Surt's Fall while Vincent was at a disadvantage in that he saw many faces in many different places, so she could hardly blame him for not recognizing her right off.

However, she hadn't exactly acknowledged him straight away either considering her attention was currently focused on avoiding taking a beating and perhaps bluffing her way out of paying the gate toll, but when he stepped up beside her, she couldn't help but grin, "Vince! You're a sight for sore eyes!" Then she added under her breath, shifting her mouth to the side and speaking through clenched teeth, though not low enough for those nearby not to hear, "I'd give you a high-five and slap you on the ash, but I'm in a bit of a spot right now."

As though on cue, the guard whose back her hand was on turned his head to glare at her and issue a not so friendly response to her invitation. His hot and rank breath caused her to balk and cough a bit as she shook her head in distaste.

"I have no idea what you're talking about but if you won't have a drink, at least have a mint!" Sassy exclaimed, wrinkling her little, slightly upturned nose as she removed her hand from his back and used it to fan the air in front of her face while taking a step back from him. She also leaned back from him as she stepped back in order to hopefully avoid his grasp as his hand shot out to clutch her tanned leather vest.

Zer0 Zer0 AI10100 AI10100

GEAR:

Health: Fresh | Toughness: 11 | Spell DC: 4 |Manna: 4
Condition: Fresh

Weapons: Assault Rifle (Spud), Tactical Knife, Spiked Club (Tonks)
Shield:
Armor: Reinforced leather jacket and leg guards
Accessory I: Goggles - Protection against the elements
Accessory II: Handcuffs - Can’t have FUNction without fun!

Faction Influence:

INVENTORY:

Metal: 86
Alchemical: 21

Arigami (x2) -
- Soporanduru (Spud) - The first of the two Arigami that Sassy obtained while ruin exploring. Because it was the first, it tends to have a jealous streak whenever Sassy uses Tonks instead and is sometimes uncooperative because of this.
- Tonkaratsu (Tonks) - The second of Sassy’s Arigami, Tonks is laid back and thinks that Spud is silly and typically corrects Sassy whenever she says its name despite the fact that she totally ignores it.

Chocobo (Ralph) - Your faithful mount. Has a 3 Hex speed on the world map. Can carry 2 people with an extra carrying capacity of 40 when saddled.

Smoked Bacon - A kitty's gotta' eat.
 
Last edited:

Katsuya

Silly artist
- Isa Bianchi -
“Sitting on his bike”

Humming with interest, Isa leaned further back, placing all his drunken weight on his arm to watch the guards be confronted by a woman. He raised a brow curiously, thinking she has to be unhinged or brave to actually go up to the guards that were looking for her. If it is her that the guards were looking.

As a man with an old bard outfit came up to the guards too, the redhead didn’t pay much attention to the crowd. Not hearing the few that let out a ‘hey!’ or ‘watch it’ or the hissing behind him until it got close to him and mentioned his bike.

Isa rolled his head lazily, staring at the blue naga with boredom. Puckering his lips like a petulant child.

“Jooooy~”

He sat up straight and reached for the letter, not looking away from the seemingly aggressive naga. He’s not an idiot, what with people asking him questions about his bike and hearing about this Scooter person wanting to make a motor of his own, of course he’s going to catch someone’s attention. Isa was hoping for L though, not The Godfather’s.

Indigo blue eyes momentarily glinted red from the lanterns and torches around the place. “Should I expect being followed by you or your men to make sure I don’t just leave tonight?” He asked, shrugging his shoulders nonchalantly. Not that he would since L will be here for a week and he would still like to chat with him or her, but it would be nice to know. Just in case he doesn’t ‘accidentally’ trap whoever is following him in the dark.

As he listened to whatever the blue naga might say —- hiss? Snakes hiss, he mentally corrected —- Isa looked down at the letter that’s in his gloved hands. Reading it’s context with hidden weary and dreaded anticipation of he thinks might be written.

Zer0 Zer0 mentioned: Roleplay Skittle Roleplay Skittle AI10100 AI10100
 
Last edited:

Tardy Grade

The Page Turner
Gentleman’s Tavern
"I’m on the outside, and I’m looking in~”
It took Bradley a fair bit of effort not to confront the lady following behind him. Especially after he noted the all too familiar form and mark that she held by way of invitation. *Was this a trap? Was it L’s handiwork or one of those supposedly tailing him? ...Did he drop his by accident?*

Having done a little peek in his bag he confirmed he had not in fact dropped his letter. A mild relief but it still didn’t help him find out more about his current situation.

As the tavern lay before him, wide inviting door he decided to hang back a bit. Using the distraction created by a few people observing someone with their bike confronting a ... snake man. Well it’d been a while since Bradley saw one of his kind certainly.

The crowd behind him began pushing towards the spectacle and he soon found himself a part of them. At first he was focused blue Naga’s attire but then he was due for another shock.

A third letter?!

“Three?” at this point Bradley was getting more than a little perturbed as he tried to scan around him for any other people holding letters like his own. Knowing that a sudden departure via the gate would only leave him at a further loss he decided to double down. No backing up now...

So Bradley decided to get right as the front of the crowd and take out his own letter. Holding it in-front of him in the direction of the opposing parties.

“Sorry I’m late ... Are you L?” waving the letter at Isa who was reading the other letter.

“This isn’t first come first serve .. is it?” oblivious to the people immediately behind him backing away slowly while he spoke.
 
Last edited:

Zer0

Haiku Hitman
- Uh Oh -
"Round II"

Going on the defensive.

Instead of attacking, a major action can also be used to go on the defensive, where you do not attack an enemy and instead add your combat skill and equipped non-ranged weapon combat bonus to your toughness. This makes Sassy's Toughness a total of 14 instead of 11.

So, one guard missed, the other succeeded. Sassy's health has been reduced to Bruised.

P.S. Also, forgot to add that only 1 weapon can be equipped at a time in your Weapon Slot. Roleplay Skittle Roleplay Skittle , ima assume this is your tactical knife since Tonks wasn't summoned.



  • The blonde guard missed, as some of the patrons laughed at Sassy's remark. Not so the lady guard, who ducked under the outstretched arm of his companion and bulldozed Sassy into a table, sending bottles and food crashing down on them.

    "Oi!" yelled the dwarves who had been eating. "That's was a crispy chocobo leg!"; "This'll be over in a minute." growled the lady guard who was attempting to grapple Sassy into a chokehold, as the blonde guard tried to cut loose her pouches and bags; "Take this outside the tavern!" yelled an angry goblin; "Carver or not, you better buy us another chocobo leg, we saved up loot to ---" And that's when the dwarf who was speaking was accidentally elbowed by the struggling lady guard.

    It was like a storm holding its breath, as the dwarf touched his nose, saw blood on his hand, then slowly looked at the lady guard. He swiped, she dodged, his fist hit the goblin. And the tavern erupted into a brawl.

    As the chairs flew, nobody noticed a slow old man with a double necked boombanjo get up on stage, put his hat down for tips nonchalantly, then adjust the guitar strings running across the two blunderbuss barrels of his guitar. He cleared his voice, then strummed.

    Roleplay Skittle Roleplay Skittle AI10100 AI10100


- Gentleman's Tavern -
" Outside "

The naga's tongue darted out, as he tilted his sea dragon-ish head. "I bring only messssage." he hissed at Isa.

The letter had a glowing arcane seal of a skull with a pike through the head that dissipated the moment Isa opened it. It read:

"That's a rad ride you're rolling up my gate, son! You look like someone who likes loot, pecs, and explosions! I'm The Godfather, and I'm here with an offer: a pick from my treasury, a membership in my Savage Gym of Savagery, and an I.O.U. explosion assassination! In exchange, you let my boys borrow your ride.

If you want in, come to the Savage Gym of Savagery! I don't care if that ain't the right spelling! If you don't care either, we'll get along just fine, son!

GODFATHER"


The naga turned to go after Isa took the letter, then looked back when a man in a mask held up a letter that had exactly the same insignia as the one Isa had received from L. The naga's tongue darted out again, as he tilted his head the other way. "No. I am Sssaberon." He told the masked man and slithered away, hissing, "What good parent names hissss offspring one letter?"

The woman who had been following behind Bradley was staring with wide eyes at him and his letter and began looking around too.

And that was when the tavern erupted into a brawl and a mug went flying pass Isa's and Bradley's head. A drow covered in bandages waved at Bradley from the crowd that was now hyped and urging on the brawlers. The same drow tapped the hooded woman on the shoulder, and waved at Isa, smiling.

Follow me, friends, she mouthed, and slipped out of the crowd, circling around towards the back of the tavern, and into a back door where they beheld the tavern brawl at its fullest. The drow didn't seem perturbed, as though this was normal, and led them past a one-legged goblin choking a bandit, paused to let a group drag a drunk and dunk his head in a spitoon, then continued on to a table where a gnome girl, a man, and a lady with a crystallized arm were sitting. She bent down to whisper something to the gnome, who turned to look at the new trio and grinned at them.

"Hi, friends, glad to see you made it, I'm L!" And she offered them seats as the brawl continued around them. "We were just making introductions!"

Tardy Grade Tardy Grade Katsuya Katsuya TrashRabbit TrashRabbit Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon
 
Last edited:

Katsuya

Silly artist
- Isa Bianchi -
“Back of the tavern”

“I see. Then thank you.” Isa grinned politely as the armored Naga was getting ready to leave. He looked at the letter and snorted, amused by the writer as he connected the dots. Maybe he shouldn’t have thought of the worst outcome after all. The Godfather must be related to this Scooter person he’s been hearing about if he is asking for his bike.

“Hm?” The redhead looked up again, seeing a masked man asking the armored naga about the letters, and snorted again. Is Sanctuary filled with interesting visitors and are all of them looking for L? Why is that lady looking around all excited-like? Was she looking for someone too? Isa tucked the letter in his bag as he listened to the Naga’s response to the masked guy, quietly chuckling before clearing his throat.

“Not L, but I’m looking for ‘em too-“ He froze when the mug flew over his head and the masked guy, with his eyes wide and grinning impishly. Snapping his head around to see an ever-growing brawl happening inside the tavern and resisted on cackling. If only he knew how this happened- oh well. The redhead still wished he could have another drink while watching the fight.

That’s when he spotted a bandaged Drow, waving at him before mouthing something and going around the brawl. Isa’s grin only grew wider and quickly put his bike’s rest foot down. Then he took a small part of the engine out and pocketed before going after the Drow and to the back of the tavern. He didn’t seem to mind the other two that might be following too.

After walking past a peg-legged goblin who’s choking a bandit and cackled at seeing a drunk being dunked into a spittoon, Isa kept up with the Drow and blinked at the occupies of the table. A woman with a crystalized arm, a man who seemed older than him, and a little gnome with interesting wearable trinkets.

He grinned widely, waving like a dork at the trio. “My name’s Isa. Nice to meet’cha.”

Zer0 Zer0 Tardy Grade Tardy Grade TrashRabbit TrashRabbit Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon
 
Last edited:

AI10100

Expert Lurker
Vincent Dublois
- Sanctuary -

Upon the woman saying his name, Vincent turned to look at her and his face scrunched up ever so slightly as he tried to place who this was. It took him a full second before his eyes widened in recognition. He grinned. "Jenkins, great to see you again!" He cheerily whispered back as he looked back at the guards - now his objective changing from only mildly helping a stranger to helping Sassy get out of dodge. Sassy Jenkins was someone he had met in the very hidden town of Surt's Fall and he would readily consider her a friend. And he always helps

Merely grinning back at the glare that was given to him by the female guard, Vincent couldn't help but laugh at Sassy's remark. He would have asked her why she had decided to skip past the Sanctuary toll but before he could get a word in, the female guard had charged forward to Sassy.

"Hey, hey, let's not get too-"

And then the other patrons were enraged with the actions of the guard as the food and drinks were spilled across the tavern floor. And then she accidentally hits a dwarf. Who then tried to attack the guard but hit a goblin. And everyone was fighting. Vincent had backed away quickly before dashing towards the guard and tried to muscle her off of Sassy and onto a bunch of other angry patrons.

Zer0 Zer0 Roleplay Skittle Roleplay Skittle
 
Last edited:

Roleplay Skittle

Eternally Awkward
Sassafras Jenkins
- Sanctuary -
Gentleman's Tavern​

Well this had taken a wrong turn. Maybe she shouldn't have approached the guards? Maybe she shouldn't have antagonized them? Or maybe she shouldn't have tried to fake the toll? Nah... either way, everything was happening fast and when that lady guard came charging for her like a football player making a tackle, Sassy's teeth bit her lower lip as she let out a quick whistle that was low and came out as a single note before shouting, "Nibs! Hightail!"

On cue, the little cat jumped out of the bag on Sassy's hip, narrowly escaping as Sassy was bowled into the table behind her, letting out a curse along with a laugh. The little black kitty was a streak as she dashed quickly between feet and to the door where she hurried around to the stable to hide in Ralph's saddlebags. It looked like she had been in this position before.

"A minute?! Come on! Give me a little credit!" Sassy cried, feigning insult. She had tried to be civil but now not only was the lady guard trying to get her in a choke hold, but her companion was trying to essentially rob her!

"Hey hey! Watch the tutu you psycho!" Sassy shouted at the blonde guard, trying to avoid his knife while simultaneously attempting to land a blow in the lady guard's nose with her balled fist. It was at this moment that the guard's elbow flew back and hit the Dwarf. Sassy's grin grew and she let out a brief, surprised chuckle, "oooooooh... you done it now."

And... chaos. Pure, unadulterated chaos. What a way to start her first trip to Sanctuary!

Zer0 Zer0 AI10100 AI10100

GEAR:

Health: Fresh | Toughness: 11 | Spell DC: 4 |Manna: 4
Condition: Fresh

Weapons: Assault Rifle (Spud), Tactical Knife, Spiked Club (Tonks)
Shield:
Armor: Reinforced leather jacket and leg guards
Accessory I: Goggles - Protection against the elements
Accessory II: Handcuffs - Can’t have FUNction without fun!

Faction Influence:

INVENTORY:

Metal: 86
Alchemical: 21

Arigami (x2) -
- Soporanduru (Spud) - The first of the two Arigami that Sassy obtained while ruin exploring. Because it was the first, it tends to have a jealous streak whenever Sassy uses Tonks instead and is sometimes uncooperative because of this.
- Tonkaratsu (Tonks) - The second of Sassy’s Arigami, Tonks is laid back and thinks that Spud is silly and typically corrects Sassy whenever she says its name despite the fact that she totally ignores it.

Chocobo (Ralph) - Your faithful mount. Has a 3 Hex speed on the world map. Can carry 2 people with an extra carrying capacity of 40 when saddled.

Smoked Bacon - A kitty's gotta' eat.
 

TrashRabbit

probably from space
Vidya Kay
Gentleman's tavern
Vidya is still watching the bar fight break out when another intrepid member of L's pen pal club arrives. She has some trust in L, nodding as she speaks of the others who will join them and leading them see the key. And while she feels dubious of both men, she trusts they are capable. She pulls her eyes away from the guard making things very hard for herself and back to Isa as he introduces himself. The red head looks like trouble. The kind of trouble she is fond of, but knows isn't synergetic to getting things done quickly or without out a fuss. If Magni was here, if Magni wasn't at stake she'd have grinned, because it would have meant the job was going to be great. And she still does but it does not make it all the way to her eyes.
"Merry met, I'm Vidya Kay," she says to both Isa, and the table, touching her good hand to breast bone in a greeting that in some parts might be seen as more formal than she intends. She makes eye contact with others at the table as well, and glances back at the fight. She's familiar with rough places and loud crowds, but being on her own, and being fairly small with the bar fight ramping up has her on edge. If Magni was here, ze would put a hand on her shoulder and she would force herself to relax- but Vidya is solo and focusing on her poke face. L has the key. That was half the battle.
"Lead away, Friend," She says to L, "I'm eager to take a peak."
She was eager to form an opinion. It was obvious L had some scheme, this was not just a Intel exchange, L was putting together a team. Wich meant she was serious. Which was good.
 

Tardy Grade

The Page Turner
...peak.” As Vidya finished her own introduction he pulled a chair to him and cleared his somewhat parched throat.

“Name’s Bradley ... Planter. Is this ... all of us?” Having taken a seat and eyed the others already sitting on the table he made his own introduction. No clear connection between them. At least not at a glance...

A letter for each person from L and it was probably the case that all the letters said much the same.

So Bradley pegged everyone gathered as being uniquely motivated enough to make their way to ‘sanctuary’.

Now that they were seated he pulled back his hood and stretched his neck. Body settling into the chair as the sense of urgency began leaving his weary body. Step one was complete. Contact made and then some.

Now he just had to figure out what his part would be in all of this.

”Also ... uhhh on second thought never mind.” He was about to ask what exactly happened back at the tavern but decided it wasn’t pressing enough a matter to pursue.
 

Zer0

Haiku Hitman
mac-smith-steampunk-door.jpg
- Victory! -
"Master Den, Gentleman's Tavern "

"Therias Swiftsong." said the hooded woman distractedly, staring at the brawlers. She then politely nodded at each of them, and, seeing as there was no seat left, she crossed her arms and leaned against the wall. Meanwhile the bandaged drow took a seat on a nearby table.

L nodded at Vidya. "Hello, Vidya, Isa, Bradley, Therias!" she put up three fingers. "We still have three more coming this week, " she added to Bradley, " and --- wait." she stood back up and looked back at the brawlers, as though she just realized something. "Vince . . . Jenkins?" she yelled loudly over to Vincent. "Vincent Dublois and Sassafras Jenkins?!"

It was at that moment that there was a collective, "Oohf!" from the patrons as the tutu woman the lady guard had in a headlock bopped her on the nose --- and a medieval man who'd been trying to pull the guard off, summarily yanked her into the arms of the angry dwarves; there was an "Aha!" as the blonde guard emerged holding a pouch, followed by another "Oohf! Yeah!!" from the crowd, as the medieval man knocked him out too.

You always get loot at the end of a battle. Some take time to retrieve such as monster parts that need to be harvested for alchemical components, and some need a successful Larceny roll (DC 14 for this scene) if you want to pocket them without anyone noticing. Picking up loot that's just out in the open assumes that you searched the pockets of your foes in front of everyone to get them.

Loot:
  1. 20 Alchemical and 16 Metal each for Sassy and Vincent​
  2. x2 Crude Crossbow | Range, +1 to combat rolls​
  3. x2 Crude Spiked Club | Simple, +1 to combat rolls​
  4. x2 Carver Armor | Light, +2 Toughness​
  5. Cigarettes | Hand rolled and carefully put in a big match box.​
  6. x2 Oil lamps | Made of bronze and engraved with many eyes.​
  7. Hour glass | Filled with fine grey ash​
  8. Rope | 50 ft.​
  9. Shopping List​
  10. Wooden Comb​

"Alright, alright, break it up, you louts!" yelled a goblin with a rat-like face and a long hooked nose, kicking everyone's shins. "You! We don't want no trouble with the Carvers --- get out!" he yelled at Sassy, pointing at the door with a claw.

"Wait, Grug, I need those people!" the gnome jumped off the chair and hurried over to the two.

"Huh?"

"They're the you-know, the people I've been sending letters to."

"The Gentleman don't want any trouble with the Godfather." said Grug.

"I'll handle it, but right now, I need them to come with me. I'll talk to Gentleman, and, uhhhh, what were they fighting about? I heard it's the toll?" she rummaged into her messy hair and pulled out all sorts of junk and crystals from it. "I'll pay for it." she pushed the assortment of junk into the goblin's claws.

"Uhh, you shouldn't be paying for someone else who caused the trouble. And this isn't going to blow off by just paying the toll." He glanced at the two unconscious guards who were now being hauled out by the goblins; the dwarves were clapping Vincent on the back and offering him and Sassy a drink, muttering about the wasted chocobo leg.

"It's okay, I-I'll take care of it. I promised The Gentleman I'll take responsibility for my people. Anyway, uhhh, don't let the Carvers in, okay?"

"I don't take orders from you."

"Just for thirty minutes!" The gnome approached Vincent and Sassy. "I'm L, follow me." she whispered.

She quickly went back to the group sitting around the table. "So, make it one person." she told Bradley. "We're waiting for just one more person this week, erm, these two are our . . . comrades too. Okay, follow me, everyone, before more Carvers come."

L hurriedly led the group around the winding down dining hall and its bruised patrons towards the fancy door flanked by two goblins who let the group pass; behind them, the bandaged drow and the bald man who had been following Lothar followed.

* * * *​

The fancy door revealed a flight of metal steps that led down a warm passageway lit up by magic lanterns that had swirling will-o-wisps inside. Pipes and vents lined the stone and steel walls, and as they went further down, the sound of music, and laughter reached their ears. At the end of the metal stairs was a long hallway, each with more doors to the left and right. These doors were large, made of fortified metal, and glowing with runes that ran down the length of some kind of ragnite machine built into the walls that was thrumming with magic. At the end of the hall was a large double-door trimmed and decorated with gold, with an oriental dragon emblem set upon the middle like a shield. Idling outside it was the same werecat who had been playing an axuitar on stage earlier with the Gentleman. He was leaning against the pipes, sitting on a large ornate chest that had seven key holes, as he absently strummed the strings.

This werecat, a sphynx with colorful tattoos up his neck and down his arms, gave L, the drow, and the bald man a nod of greeting.

"This is Nicolas." L smiled at the group. "You all have to leave your weapons and bombs with him before going inside. We're having our meeting in here with The Gentleman. He's my friend and he also wants in on the Vault, but not as a hunter like us, more like a business proposition to make some profit on whatever we find, in return he'll support us and give us supplies after we prove ourselves. This is of course if you all agree to his proposal." she added hastily. "We don't have to be business partners with him, but I kinda' don't have much on the way of resources and contacts, but The Gentleman does. In any case, you can trust him. He's okay. I know that's just my word, but he takes care of his own and he doesn't break promises. " she smiled.

The werecat stood up, pulled out a ring of keys and turned the first key hole of the chest. He opened it to reveal a whirring clicking of gears metal that magically shifted and grew, reassembling themselves upwards and into a weapon rack, where there were already a couple of weapons on it.

"Place your weapons here, please." purred Nicolas. "I and our two friends behind you will also be patting all of you down to make sure nothing else is hidden." The bandaged drow smiled, while the bald man stood there impassively. "You understand, of course, we don't allow armed strangers inside." he smiled, running a finger down the blade of his axuitar.

Therias, the hooded lady, stiffened at this. "I don't want to meet here. Can't we meet somewhere else where I am not defenseless?"

"I don't have any other safe place." said L.

"I'm staying here." said Therias with a tone of finality. "Whatever you all discuss, I can just hear it from the others when you all come out. If you come out." she eyed the werecat, drow, and bald man.

"They're okay!" said L with genuine honesty. "They're just scary on the outside and if they have to be. They're not gonna hurt you if you don't hurt me or any of my friends inside."

Therias shook her head.

"Okay, but you won't be able to see the Vault key." said L.

"I don't need to see it. I just want the Vault opened. I don't need to know more than I have to."

"Okay, okay, if anyone else wants to stay outside, 'cause of not trusting us yet, you can stay out here, everybody else, ya can come with me." said L.

After disarming and patting down those who choose to go in, Nicolas the werecat pulled a lever next to the door, and the gears on its side shifted and clunked heavily, then they slid open. L went in. Those who follow would feel an odd sensation as they go through the door. It was like passing through a invisible thin sheet of cold water.

The dragon door opened to another smaller bar with the same assortment of folks you can find in Sanctuary, only they all seem to know each other and had the look of mercenaries. Everyone was also armed. This smaller bar looked cleaner, better decorated than upstairs, and was homier with an open kitchen, personal trophies, magical black and white photos that moved, and the same glowing runes on metal bands lined the walls. There were three other fortified doors here, all of them at the back, none of them guarded. In one cozy corner was The Gentleman, lazily sitting on a large pile of puffy cushions, his feet up and crossed, with a goblet of wine in one hand, as he practiced a song with the bearded lady and two young-looking vampires who seemed to be twins. There was a goliath, a tall blue-skinned barbarian lady who was standing, leaning against the wall beside the Gentleman. She was carefully watching everyone in the room, her hands were resting on the pommel of a great sword; and dangling on a chandelier above was a flexible human lady who seemed to just be chilling, hanging from just her legs and aiming a dart at a dart board on the far corner.

"Gentlemaaan!" called L cheerfully, waving at the jester man. "These are the people from the letters!" A couple of people in the bar stopped what they're doing and glanced at the group. "Everyone, this is The Gentleman." she presented.

"Ah, new company!" the jester man opened his arms. "Welcome, strangers. Come, come before me, " he grinned, waving them closer, " present yourselves, let me take a close look at the ones who have graced our humble abode! I have heard many things about you from L here for the past year." he ruffled her messy hair, as the bearded lady and twin vampires left the cushioned corner.

"Is it okay now?" L asked him.

"Yes, go on, it's your show." he took a sip from his goblet of wine.

When everyone was seated on the cushions, L rummaged into her hair and pulled out a small gold ball no bigger than a chicken egg and muttered an arcane incantation. The egg grew to the size of the gnome's head, but it seemed to be light for she carried it as easily on one hand. "This is the Vault key." and she placed it on a cushion in the center of all of them. "You can touch it if you like. So, I'm sure all of you have questions, ask away!"

 
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)

  • Top