• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Vanilla D&D 5e campaign: The Shadow of Antaria

Characters
Here
Other
Here
Garirook looked down at the two embarrassing excuses for humans. He then looked over at the demented looking clown. And then around at the other patrons of the bar. It seemed that their little fight wasn't going to be overlooked so easily. He considered killing another one of the men, just to even the odds with his clown rival, but it seemed like it wouldn't be worth the trouble. He turned around right there and then, returning to his seat at the bar, his work there was done. He sat back down next to the odd looking man who sat next to him before, and set his now bloody warhammer back on the bar. He continued to sip his drink, hoping he won't get kicked out for being a part of the fight, although he didn't think someone would approach him right now. He wiped a couple of spots of blood from his jaw. "Clowns am I right?" He commented to no one in particular.

"Tsk, tsk." Ma looked in distaste as the half-orc and clown continued to fight. The clown left an especially foul taste in her mouth as he attacked after they begged for mercy. She was tempted to give him a taste of his own medicine and knock him down, but she decided not to escalate the situation further. The mention of treasure had also peaked her interest and she was willing to put up with a stabby clown if it meant that she would get part of that money. There was work to be done first though.

"Shitala have mercy on these violent people. I will teach them the value of hygiene." She reached behind her into the kitchen for the mob she had just earlier. "Hey you! Mister clown! look at the mess you have caused." She threw the mob to the clown. "You better clean up your mess!" She put a little magic and stress on that one word. He caught the mob and started cleaning against his will. "The rest of you are welcome to follow his example!" The others grumbled, but nobody was offering or even looking her in the eye. Figures.

She looked around for something to clean that wasn't part of the mess. She noticed something red on the class behind Braulio. How explosive were these guys?! She walked took out a spray bottle from her belt and gave it a good spray. Then she wiped it of with a cloth. Or rather tried to. It must have been a bad stain. She sprayed again and wiped again. It was still there! She moved closer to have a better look. The stain looked a bit like a hand. Was it on the other side of the glass?! Just to be sure she ran her finger over it, but it returned clean indeed. So the fight had been outside as well? Or was it something else?

She did not want to spook anyone with more casualties, so she slowly turned to Braolio and whispered in his ear. "Sir, we have a slight problem. There might be bodies outside as well."

2ZPciti.jpg
uuaBdYr.jpg

Braulio and Trix

Braulio exhaled and looked back at his mug, before turning to where Trix was standing a moment prior. His mouth was agape, but he smiled when he saw her hushing the crowd down. " tch, T'lot of them are moral just until free ale is on the tab--", he said as one of his wards went off. You can't detect it from inside the tavern except from his barkeeping space, where all the tavern's magic defenses are centered around. He looked to Ma who was trying to clean the window next to him, but he said nothing, just to not stir the woman more than she was already. He knew first hand that she was a mean cookie if you addressed her during her cleaning fits.

"Sir, we have a slight problem. There might be bodies outside as well."
He nodded and said, " A glyph of warding was tripped", he said with a whisper. "Most likely a hooligan looking for a free meal. Mind checking it out before some hapless guard finds something wrong"?

Charleena Duststar

The young rogue sheathes her rapier walks a few steps to get the glass of milk she placed down earlier. She quickly walks back to the two frightened pirates and sits down at the table next to them while also pulling out a dagger. She starts playing with her dagger with one hand while she says "Come.. sit.. and.... tell... me... everything... you... know.. about... the... treasure.... and... remember... the... faster... you... tell... me.... what... I... want... the... faster... you... can... leave... here... and... do... whatever.. it.. is... you... do.. with.. your... lives." She starts to wonder if she should hire the weirdos that helped her with the pirates as her muscle for this dangerous treasure hunt for rewards unknown.

7:00 PM
Snake eyes inn
The surviving pirates peered at their surroundings to find most of their former opponents were moving on to other things. Even the patrons in the bar seemed to be taken in and swept by an almost inhuman sense of flow. However, the two were not at all versed in the arts and could not be reliable in discerning if Ma, for example was charmed or simply a scary woman. Their widened eyes teared up at her innocuous demeanor. One they knew and loved, but it was now contrasted with the brutal acts that just transgressed. Though the one that really disturbed them was Charleena the rouge, who innocently drank a glass of milk while threatening their lives.

The two gulped and almost smirked, normally a moment to call jinx in a merrier circumstance. Slowly they stood up to reach for a couple of chairs, their eyes affixed upon the blade she nonchalantly twirled in the air with a dexterous toss in the air. The first averted his gaze, before saying, " there's a cove, north of err'. Maybe 10 miles..eh rich"? The skinny lanky one nodded his head and said, " the cove was abandoned they say, cursed", he uttered while flailing his arms. " Dilapidated buildings, some stone ruined and a cave. Perfect place to hide out from these adventurers and guards... or so we thought". The pudgier one nodded and said, " Aye, people started disappearing. We thought it be a nuisance, perhaps a swarm or a goblin. Nothing much..but it was worse than we thought".

The skinny one nearly leapt from his seat and slammed the table yelling, " They was gone...GONE I SAY GONNE EMILY, JASPAHH. IT TOOK EM AND MADE THE PLACE ITS OWN". The pudgier one scowled and yanked the man back down to his seat. "Quiet you! As for you lassy, you'll know when you see it. An all encompassing fog traveling down the coast".

Ilikepie Ilikepie and anyone who was listening in

Last edited:
Acil Meadowlark​

Strolling through the streets of Anthar, a man with a black cloak played his lute with little worry or care. His stride languid and calm, his song light and cheerful, despite the bad weather and darkened moods. Acil whistled along to a little tune he'd made on his way, ignoring his soaking clothes and freezing arms. Step after step in the cold rain, but the music never faltered. Turning the corner to the street of the Snake Eyes Inn.

Rowdy drunks came by him, giving him questioning stares and odd glances. All that was brushed off, when a ruckus started up in the tavern of the inn. Still rather unconcerned, Acil waltzed his way toward the entrance. Rather dramatically, the half-elf swung open the doors to the bar, his fierce green eyes peering from its position in the shadow of his hood. "Now, what's with all this mess?" He asked, nonchalantly stepping over a smashed bottle.

"Gone? Taken? Took who? Didn't your mother ever tell you it's bad to scare the newcomers?" The bard said, taking off his hood and approaching two rather nervous looking patrons. "So what's in there? A monster? A horde of monsters? They kill your crew? Or are you just trying to scare everyone away, so you can keep what's inside?" His tone was calm, but flowing, like a witty ribbon, one unconvinced by the sputtering sailors.

Taking his glance over to the younger looking rogue, he quipped. "And you. Aren't you a little young to be hanging around in a place like this? There's better places to dry off, you know." Plucking a few strings on his lute, Acil briefly scanned the place for anything immediately noticeable.
Ilikepie Ilikepie and still watching fma still watching fma

Introducing our bard
7:03
Snake eyes Tavern
Unnamed Level (1).png

A man seemingly larger than life strode into the chaotic tavern with a loud bang from the swinging doors slamming against their respective walls. Braulio started to wipe his mug more intensely at the sight of this, shaking his head and turning back to the wizard who ordered yet another drink. Meanwhile in the corner of the tavern, a man who had not stirred smirked, before sauntering about toward the rogue and her captives. At the same time the bard strode forth, sending daggers to the hearts of the frightened men. They winced and gulped at every insinuation, before looking toward the rogue, hoping she would not be swayed as they shook their heads and pleaded with watery eyes. Just as the skinny one was about to explode, the first mate of a rival crew appeared behind them and placed his palms on their trembling shoulders. " ayye, that's wh're ur 'rong, boy", he said while flashing his yellow chipped teeth, worn by years of scurvy and other dental ailments.

" We pirates may hunt a ship for a mere coin. We may pillage our employer's coffers. And we may gut him to have our way with his, luscious daughter", he said while grasping the shoulders of the pirates. " but the one thing we don't do, is lie. For you see, we gut liars before we gut our victims". He let the revelation sink in, before releasing them. He clapped his hands and said, " well good luck to you boys and lady. You let me know if'n these fellas lead you astray and I'll gut them my'self". With a tip nod, he strode forth and out into the dark rainy night.

He nodded and said, " A glyph of warding was tripped", he said with a whisper. "Most likely a hooligan looking for a free meal. Mind checking it out before some hapless guard finds something wrong"?

"Yes sir, of course I will." Ma completely understood where Braulio came from. If guards came sniffing around they might find the three pirates that were just murdered right in front of their eyes. It would be terrible for the pub's reputation. She was not too afraid to what she might find, as it could not be worse than the bodies inside, but just to be sure she decided to bring her rolling pin.

She opened the door and was immediately hit by a rancid smell. It always stank outside, but this smell was especially foul, with hints of rotten egg and sulfur. She drew in a deep breath of air from the pub and quickly closed the door behind her. It was dark outside and the drizzle of rain immediately chilled her to her bones. The bakery across the street was already closed for the day, but some dog was barking at her, or maybe at whoever tripped the glyph. Ma calmly tried to shush it, so it wouldn't alert the guards, but it was probably too far away to have an effect. Ma unhooked the lantern next to the door and moved around the corner to to the outside latrine, where the stain had been. The ground was muddy and littered with small red chunks. upon closer inspection with the lantern, she discovered that they were bits of flesh and sinew. Ma had to resist the urge to throw up. The poor soul. On the wall she could still see the glowing shape of the glyph, making an intricate web of lines across the wall. The ground around it was charred and steaming from the rain that still kept on falling. Ma surely hoped this was all an accident or they would be in a lot of trouble. She thought of the lesson her mother had so wisely taught her: always take the necessary precaution. As she lingered on that lesson she called forth a neat little trick her mother passed onto her, to see what magic could have caused this. The glowing glyph seemed to glow even brighter and Ma could tell that it had been an evocation. She also felt a bit agitated with all the other protective spells that were still in place.

"Excuse me, miss." A voice called to her.Her heart made a little jump. She turned around to see a dark figure clad in leather standing in the entrance of the alley. A silver dragon insignia gleamed in the light of her lantern. Shit, Ma thought to herself, the guards are already here. "Can I ask you some questions about what happened here?"

It was of utmost importance that the guard would not enter the pub before the bodies were disposed of. She would have to keep him outside or at least stall for more time. She put up a smile and answered: "Of course, officer. What would you like to know?"

The guard paused for a moment, his head tilting to the right ever so slightly as his eyes were affixed upon Ma. His head tilted to the left, with the same curious expression. His voice crackled a bit, but he managed to ask again, " Can I ask you some questions about what happened here"? Though as soon as the man asked this question, the dog, which had been barking up a storm yelped and cried, as if it was being viciously attacked. This struggle was clearly audible even to the patrons in the bar, some of which began to look out from the porch. Though the guard, was visibly oblivious. "Can--I, axed you some questions about what appened here"? His face still, wearing the same curious expression.

Felix Felix and anyone who may have heard the commotion

Charleena Duststar

The young rogue listened carefully to what the pirates were saying about the treasure being 10 miles north of here and in a cove, but the mysterious "it" annoyed her since they are not giving enough clues at what the danger is. Before she can ask about "it" a half-elf entered the building and started talking to her and the pirates. She was annoyed that this was the second person today that thought they needed to baby her. She doesn't need to be babied she is already seventeen years old and has been alone for most of them so she need their advice. Once again before she can respond another person walked over and started talking to the people at her table. This man was the one that was hanging out near the pirates before the fight but didn't get involved. She was surprised when the man threatened the two pirates and then walked out into the rain outside.

She looks over towards the half-elf with an annoyed glare. "<Don't treat me like a child half breed. My former pure breed mentor taught me all I needed to know to be an adult. I don't need you, him, my dead mom, or even> Shadow <to tell what I should do with my life>. She starts to hear strange dog barking outside but decides to stay inside and not investigate since it's most likely aliens since only aliens and Shadow hate dogs and everyone knows can't get you when you are inside a building. She turns her attention back towards the two pirates. "Now... tell. me... everything... you... about... this... "it"... monster... and... then... you... can... go".

(all words between the <> are spoken in elvish)

7:05
Snake Eyes Tavern
The two pirates retracted and looked down as far as they could as the normally soft spoken girl snapped with the fury of a dictator at the bard. Both men shuddered and refused to look her or anyone in the eye, for fear of getting an shivved with one wrong move. It was when Charleena addressed them again, that they looked to eachother, then the little firecracker. " We don't know lassy. M'ght be a sea witch. We pirates don't stick around to find out", said the pudgey one. The skinny one nodded and said, "I've heard stories of their kind. It sounded like a woman. Though her voice was odd. and an unnatural chill grabbed hold of the cave, sending goos'bumps up in my arms. She kept saying, 'they will not stop, till one int d'a hand 2 in the hole''.

The two clasped their hands together and said, "please believe us lassy. we know nothing more of t'at sea witch".

Ilikepie Ilikepie and anyone else who might be in ear shot

The guard paused for a moment, his head tilting to the right ever so slightly as his eyes were affixed upon Ma. His head tilted to the left, with the same curious expression. His voice crackled a bit, but he managed to ask again, " Can I ask you some questions about what happened here"? Though as soon as the man asked this question, the dog, which had been barking up a storm yelped and cried, as if it was being viciously attacked. This struggle was clearly audible even to the patrons in the bar, some of which began to look out from the porch. Though the guard, was visibly oblivious. "Can--I, axed you some questions about what appened here"? His face still, wearing the same curious expression.

Felix Felix and anyone who may have heard the commotion

Ma looked at the guard with a dumbfounded look. Did the guy just repeat himself three times? The third attempt was also in incorrect Common. Did the man have a brain aneurysm? Ma wanted to take a step closer to examine his eye movement, but her instinct told her not to. The hair on Ma's arm stood straight up and she started to get scared. Suddenly she realized why her body was reacting in that way. What she had mistaken as a shimmer of the insignia before actually seemed vibrant and alive. Her mother's trick to see magic was still active and the man in front of her gave of mayor spikes in several domains. She couldn't quite make out the entire mix, but there was at least some illusion and abjuration going on. The wailing dog sent shivers down her spine. Ma had no idea what she was up against, but she was getting a sense that it was way more than she could handle. She frantically knocked on the stained window and tried to give Braulio a sign to send help. Or maybe that trigger happy orc could make himself useful.

In the mean time she had to keep to her initial plan and stall for time. Whatever was controlling this man clearly did not know common. She decided to take the guards approach and just repeat what she said before, but once in elvish and once in giant: "Of course, officer. What would you like to know?" She hoped she would get a sign if it would understand her.

still watching fma still watching fma Bhmbdk Bhmbdk

Maverick was sitting in the corner nursing an ale watching what was going on. Sighing he stood up and walked over especially after what he had heard <You do know that it is impolite to threaten people> he says in elvish <especially when pirates have loose tongues when given enough ale or rum>. He stands between the young rogue and the pirates to prevent any more injuries and/or deaths

Charleena Duststar

The young rogue listened carefully in the description of the female monster that she now has a slightly better idea about what it could possible be and was about to let the pirates go when another person decides to walk over to the table to talk to her. The rogue sighed when yet another half-elf decided to tell her what to do or how to behave. She thinks to herself if only shadow was around to scare them off but then quickly tries to remove that thought from her mind. She glances over towards the new arrival."<My former mentor said that politeness is only ever needed when dealing with rich powerful people or children and that threats and blackmail are the best way of getting what you want in every other situation>".

She puts away the dagger but it close in case she needs to draw it again. She turns back towards the two pirates with a slightly threatening glare. "You... two... can.. go.. now." She finishes her milk and then gets up to do something she considers extremely stupid aka public speaking. "Tomorrow.... morning... anyone... crazy... enough.... to... risks... their... lives... for... an... unknown.. and... possibly... useless... treasure... is... welcome... to... join... me... on... a... treasure.. hunt" she says in a slightly louder then normal voice. She feels very annoyed with herself for doing that but she knows it would be impossible to get the treasure by herself and that was necessary. If anyone tries to betray her on the treasure hunt she could always kill them and she will only have to deal with them for a short amount of time.

(again the <> words were in elvish)

rjt7IpI.jpg

The guard maintained its distance, lurking in the shadows but letting out a gurgling sound as the firbolg approached the inn once more. It stopped for a moment, taking in the language she spoke with great concentration, that was demarked by silence. However the shambling figure's tongue was unprepared for the dexterity of the elvish tongue and it could not muster the same intonation of a giant's pronunciation. Its speech lacked cadence and words were gargled. This was followed by a growl and piercing yellow eyes that shot out from the dark. " WhAT iS Ur naymmmmmah", it asked. However, what changed this time was it now sounded like the pirates from the tavern. In broken orcish it said, "CMON YA CMON TO GROM COME COME WHAT IS YOUR NAME"?!

Before the creature could continue it's barrage of seemingly incoherent rambling, braulio opened the window and held an arm out toward the guard, " begone, wretched one"! His thunderous voice boomed across the yard, but the creature did not heed his warning(spell fear). In the palm of his hand a spark of fire began to coalesce, causing the creature howl back at the duo before retreating. However, the way it retreated sounded as if large swaths of butchered meat were rolling and slapping against the paved street.

A zone of truth is now cast around yard you now reside in. You must succeed a charisma saving throw of 5 to avoid speaking your name before braulio saves you.

Felix Felix

Maverick looked at the pirates "I think it's best if you leave for the night" he says in common. Heading back to his table he thought about what the rouge had said. A treasure hunt, now Maverick didn't care about treasure but if there was some kind of monster guarding it, then that would be worth the trip. A new beast to eliminate. Finishing his ale he moved closer to the fire and wrapped up in his cloak to get some rest, deciding that he would join in the treasure hunt.

Forced to serve. Forced to clean by a servant wench nonetheless. His shame pervaded the air around him as he was forced to clean for a mere few seconds that felt like an eternity. After cleaning, he felt the earth moving around him but it felt so still when he leaned against the mop, lifelessly pinned against the staff. Around him, a bard twirled his words, the rogue spoke elfish, the cleric investigated the world around him. A great cold grew within his stomach. The bile within him seemed to grow solid within his gut, a block of ice within him. The sure grew harder to breath as he began to cough out puffs of smoke from his lungs as a dragon preparing to breathe fire. The hairs on his arm and neck stood up and began to harden, coalescing together into scabs, bloody tendrils feasting on each other. The scabs grew harder with each passing second and the pain grew deeper. His eyes transitioned as his irises grew to fulfill the full eyes, pupils disappearing for the sake of creating pure sky blue eyes. Scabs became silver scales as the coughs grew more violent. One moment: it all stopped and the air throughout the bar was chilled to below freezing. The alcohol froze, the floor iced over, icicles began to slide down from the ceiling, and a small stormcloud brewed across the roof. Snow fell inside the tavern but only for a single second, and then. Whoosh. The bar reverted back to its original state and the monk dropped the broom, standing in his newly revitalized form of draconic origin. The wounds of battle were healed. Khe'sheir felt reborn once more, and, in a draconic hiss, he growled "Treasure? Is that it lass?" He chuckled, the dragon clown with a vicious smile. Khe'sheir wanted glory, a job, and it appeared that he found it.

Ma almost felt compelled to tell her name, but at the last moment she managed to keep it in. It took a moment to collect herself again. She was a little shaken from the yellow eyes and weird imitation of voices. The rain was soaking her clothes and snapped her out of it.

"What was that thing?" she asked to no one in particular. She would ask Braulio after her shift and keep her ears open in the mean time. "Alright, back to work."

She looked around at the fleshy bits around her, but there would be no point in cleaning this up, right? The bodies inside had a higher priority. She walked through the door just in time to see the scaly clown showing of his scaly skin. She grumbled. The excuses people came up with to not have to clean ... Some strong men were already dragging away the bodies themselves. Ma picked up the mop, got a bucket of water from the kitchen and went to work. This was going to be a long night.

The hunt begins
12:30 pm
lolsd.JPG

Later that night said:
The tavern was never truly completely quiet, but now was about the time when Braulio would lock up the ale and Trix would be cleaning with Ma. There may be a few bystanders and drunks who fell asleep, but for the most part, the tavern was closed. Braulio kept wiping the same mug for an hour, while looking outside into the darkness. Trix would have to tap his shoulder every 10 or so minutes, or he wouldn't begin wiping down a new mug. As Ma was wiping mopping down the bloodied floor he said to her, " I thought I could deal with them myself. They were too afraid or too stupid to approach human settlements 10 years ago. But everyday they encroach upon us...always learning", he trailed off and breathed heavily on a mug. "I don't know what they are Ma, but I've been investigating them with the guild for years now. If you're going out there, be on your guard. Pirates go missing on the shoreline, merchant ships come into port unmanned, and people are reporting hearing their dead loved ones." As he put the mug down and knelt down to grasp the large barrel of ale, he turned to her and said, " What I do know, is to avoid cries for help. Always question your companion's actions. And never ever, give your out name. Not even to the town guard".

Braulio went silent after that and would not say another word even if pursued.

You find yourself on a shoreline not too far north of Anthar. What used to be a quant fishing community and lighthouse community, was now a dilapidated mess. Pirates in recent years were known to take refuge in this port. The forces of Anthar's main army was too preoccupied with the administration of their industry and outside threats. While the mercenaries and adventurer guild were generally apathetic to the abandoned town now named Deadman's cove. The pay wasn't enough to usually warrant the trip and the dangers sometimes included hobgoblins and other underwater threats such as shallow water Krakens supposedly.

Now your group comes across an abandoned village, a ship that has washed ashore and in the distance, a cliff that harbors a cove just as the captive pirates said. It has a stream of ocean water around 7 feet deep heading into the cove. The mouth of the cove bears a resemblance to a monster bearing its teeth. An chilling wind emanates from the cove, brushing across your cheeks deliberately. The pirates who lead you there were tear filled and on the ground, with soiled trousers. " May may we--we--we-w-we go now miss rouge"?

Bloodshed Bloodshed Felix Felix Fireheart Fireheart Ilikepie Ilikepie

Last edited:
A few of my players may split off
12:30 pm
deadmans cove village.jpg

Those who travel to the coast of Deadman's cove will find an abandoned village that is in disrepair. There's a lingering fog that refuses to dissipate, even in the harsh summer sunlight. Houses can be found with the remains of dinner on the table and boxes of crates left open, but filled with nothing but rot. The wind carries sand and the smell rotting fish. The paint on these structures has deteriorated due to the ocean air and many roofs can be found caved in, some structures seemingly as stable as a house of cards. in the distance there stands the once proud lighthouse, now in shambles and a shadow of its former glory. As you move forward into the village, you'll find not just cobwebs, but mansized webs. You might also notice some tracks. Fresh ones all converging on a group of houses. Along the way you'll see oil lamps that still possess a glow, but it's otherworldly with a ghastly slime like hue.

There were plenty of places to hide in Deadman’s Cove, even for a bright red tiefling. Kostin crept through the narrow, sand-choked alleys, keeping an eye on the party that she was tracking. They were clearly strangers to the area, and just as clearly had come here for the same reason that Kostin had—the promise of treasure hiding somewhere in the sand.

She ducked around the side of a salt-stained house and got close enough to hear one of the scruffy humans beg to be let go. If Kostin has to guess, he was local, and had been pressed into serving as a guide. Not gently, either, by the looks of him. All the more reason to hang back and watch.

Charleena Duststar

The rogue looks at the two pirates that randomly came back after she dismissed them last night to guide her and the random people she got to agree to go on this treasure hunt. "You... can... go". Less people to share the reward at the end the better and she doesn't think she'll need their help getting back to the city. She walks closer with her group likely following her to the abandoned village in hopes of finding some treasure that was abandoned by it's previous occupants. As she gets closer see starts to notice giant webs on the buildings and a terrible smell in the air which causes her to draw her shortbow. She looks back towards the group. "Be... careful.... as.. you... search... around... because... there... is... a... good...chance... whatever... made... these... webs... are.. going... to.. try... to... make... you... their... lunch".

Knowing most of the danger and all the treasure is likely in the houses, she decides that they should go inside the houses but she isn't going to be the one that walks into the trap first. "Any... volunteers... to.. go... in... one... of.. these... houses... first?" She could have tried to force one of them to go first but she felt that at least one of them would be dumb enough to volunteer to go first into a possible death trap.

RIP Roleplay
epilogue

Charleena ended up finding lots of treasure on this adventure and later became a famous adventurer that saved the world multiple times. Many bards tell stories about the time she soloed the black dragon king in his lair. If she ever married or had kids is unknown since not enough of her story was ever told. Did she accomplish her true goal in life? Did she ever discover who her father was? Did she encounter her mentor or Shadow again? These questions will never be answered sorry folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back