• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.
Intro

SAIGO-NO-HEATS

A drifter, returned
Hill-Of-Swords-Berserk-thumbnail-2.jpg

Overture:
You are heroes. Or at least you were, once upon a time. In your own lives you were figures of legend, icons to nations, champions of war, and victors of epic quests. But those lives came and went, and history continued on with only incomplete memories of who you were and what you did as your deeds became myth.
But this is not that life, and this land is not your home. It is a purgatory where heroes like you come to die, rise, fight, and fall again. Each new death erases memory, and those who fall often return as enemies.
Yet hope still remains in this cursed place, and it alone drives the conflict that delivers so much suffering. Three towers, aligned with Mind, Body, and Soul stand as the keys to freedom, but the knowledge of their use is lost and Two great factions war for their possession. The alliance of Destruction, who believe the towers must fall to dispel what they believe to be a false world, and the forces of Preservation, who believe their destruction will invite something far worse.
Both, of course, have only fragments of the truth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspired by in parts by the Fate Series, the anime Drifters, the Comic series Luther Strode, and just a little bit of the Dynasty Warriors Video games, VALHALLA WORLD is intended to be an RP of epic battles and clashing ideals and ambitions as you take on the roles of history's great heroes, leaders, and demigods as they fight to discover the truth of this strange prison they've found themselves, and perhaps even someday, to escape it. Naturally, in the style of the series listed above, most of these figures will be twisted in ways that history had not anticipated, especially as death has strange consequences for heroes in this land. All those who fall are fated to rise again, but will have no memories of the past life they lived, nor of the comrades and discoveries they made along the way. For that is the true hell of this place, to live a lifetime battling an endless tide of familiar faces, knowing it may all come to nought.

Valhalla World Aug5 00-44.png

Last edited:
Setting Notes
Plot: The Story begins in the wake of the Battle of the Green Plain. A disastrous and indecisive battle that has left both alliances disorganized. At the moment the Army of Preservation is scattered, but attempting to withdraw into its own territory to lick its wounds and heal. Despite not being much better off, some champions of destruction have given pursuit, hoping to pick the off isolated warbands.
In the grand scheme of things, the Alliance of Preservation debates what to do next from its seat at the Tower of the mind. While they've resolved to try and find an opening and swiftly put an end to the Destruction Faction as quickly as possible, the increased use of terms like "Cult" and "Heresy" have led many of the more level headed heroes to worry that their time in this world is turning the fascination and academic interest in the towers into religious adulation.
Meanwhile the Alliance of Destruction looks to place agents among the Preservationists, with the ultimate hope of turning more of their heroes to their own side before the Preservationists can bring their greater numbers to bear against them.

latest

Preservation or Destruction: The Twin Philosophies are the root of this endless war, but the ideas behind Preservation and Destruction run deeper than good and evil. Both find their origin in the mysterious Tower Glyphs, ancient murals and pictographs scattered around the world detailing parts of the towers functions and the nature of the world around them.

Preservation believes that the Towers are key to the survival of both the Valhalla world and the escape of heroes trapped within. their interpretation of the glyphs leads them to believe that they must find a way to unite the energies of the towers in order to prefor a ritual which will allow them to separate themselves from this purgatory. The ritual is currently unclear however, and only through gathering all the glyphs will they be able to decipher it.

Destruction, conversely believes that the Valhalla World is Illusory. A false construct with the Towers acting as the Chains that hold the box together. Their interpretation of the glyphs has lead them to decide that the only way to escape back to their own lives is to find a way to destroy the towers entirely. No known power exists that can so much as scratch them however, but they believe that once they control all 3, they'll be able to find the weaknesses for each in the energies of the others.

The Towers: Vast, Ancient, Eldritch structures that scrape against the heavens. The towers of Mind, Body, and Soul warp and twist the land around them in fantastic ways. The tower of the Mind dots the land with Massive and beautiful crystalline formations that pulse with power. The tower of the Soul sits at the heart of a primeval forest, and ghostly fires and phantom travelers are common sights. While the Tower of the body renders most of the land around it inhospitable with great storms and titanic mountains.
Each tower is large enough to act as a small nation on its own, and people live both in cities at the bases of each as well as in terraces and towers that exist along the body.
It can take weeks for a normal person to travel from the base of the tower to the top, though heroes can often shorten this time for themselves significantly.
Each of the towers is much more than they would seem however. And once the truth surrounding them becomes better understood, it may be difficult for the petty and simplistic alliances to retain their forms.

Lesser Spirits: Heroes are not the only inhabitants of this land. Far from it in fact, aside from relatively normal humans who make the Valhalla World their home, virtually all creature of human imagination can be found amid the vast wilderness that stretches between wilderness.
All of these creatures, mortal or otherwise view both the heroes and the Great Towers with an almost religious reverence. Even hostile creatures will often bow to the will of a hero who they view as worthy of their respect and none are equal to a hero on their own. Naturally the worst of heroes come to see these reverent followers as little more than fodder for their own goals and desires. And Even the best among them can come to see these faceless masses as little more than tools on the quest for their own freedom.

Last edited:
Character Sheet
Name: What do they call themselves?

Other Names and Titles (Optional): Historical names, cool titles, anything you think is important enough to be brought up.

Appearance: (Pictures are acceptable)

Personality Strengths: at least 2 positive traits for your hero. Preferably, these should be in depth, or around a paragraph in length. If your character Loyal, then explain what the limits of that loyalty are and why its a good thing. Remember that even traits that seem positive on their own can become flaws when not explored.

Personality Flaws: Similar the above, at least 2 negative traits for your hero. And again like the above it should be relatively in depth. If a flaw can be described in a single word then think about why that trait is so big that it impacts them in their day to day life. How is it so big that it could be seen as a liability by themselves an others?

History: (The real world history of your hero, a quick Wikipedia link is enough in most cases.)

Biography: the "True" history of your heroes, the personal struggles and feelings that made them who they are, as well as any experiences they've had since arriving in the Valhalla World. Basically this is the how your character differs from their historical counterpart.

Alliance: (Preservation Or Destruction, see setting notes for faction explanations)

Powers: Super powers, noble phantasms, whatever you'd like to call it. These are the unnatural feats that your character is able to pull off, whether it be slashing blades faster than the eye can see or conjuring flame from nothing. These powers tend to have a basis in the "Idea" surrounding the heroes in our world, and even the most mundane amoung them possesses godlike abilities in the Valhalla World.

Extra: Anything else that springs to mind, including personal notes and affects.

And for anyone wondering, yes, this is essentially just a Fate/Grand Order RP with all the "Nasuverse-isms" scraped off. So Heroes in this context are essentially servants who don't need masters or classes to function.

I am definitely interested in this setting. It reminds me of one of my own, which didn't get off the ground, but nevermind that.

Depending on things, you might get another interested party. Though it depends on them. But if nothing else, you definitely have me.

I am interested, but I do have 1 question:

Are we allowed to take from myths, legends and the like or are we strictly sticking with historical figures?

Goo
I am interested, but I do have 1 question:

Are we allowed to take from myths, legends and the like or are we strictly sticking with historical figures?
good question! Sorry I didn’t make this more clear, but yes. Myths, Legends, folk tales and even classic literature are all fair grounds for picking from.

The only place it gets iffy would be more modern fiction figures.

Last edited:
I love the concept And as you can probably guess, have my favorite, But Im not quite sure I get the rules as Im not familiar in any of the game you mentioned as reference.

I love the concept And as you can probably guess, have my favorite, But Im not quite sure I get the rules as Im not familiar in any of the game you mentioned as reference.
Not much of a rule to be honest. Basically the Fate Series is Very anime, and characters tend to be so different from history as to be unrecognizable (with most newer characters being little more than generic anime waifus in that later parts.) So it was meant more as a dig at that than anything helpful.
If there's anything to take away as far as guidelines go, then I guess I would say try to imagine how your chosen figure would be if they were a like a Dragon Ball Z or marvel character instead of a historical figure and that will probably get you in the right frame of mind.

Can we make characters that are ahistorical.

Though I have someone in mind either way.

Can we make characters that are ahistorical.

Though I have someone in mind either way.

Depends on what you mean exactly. If you mean totally original characters, then possibly later but not here at the start.

If you’re referring to mythical characters of the past then I may have answered that here:
good question! Sorry I didn’t make this more clear, but yes. Myths, Legends, folk tales and even classic literature are all fair grounds for picking from.

The only place it gets iffy would be more modern fiction figures.

Just depends on what you mean by “ahistorical”.

I meant original characters.
Gotcha. Yeah in that case then just for this initial drive at least I’d prefer to focus on the historicals since they’re intended as the central focus.
But I’ll definitely keep it in mind as something to potentially introduce after we get things going.

Gotcha. Yeah in that case then just for this initial drive at least I’d prefer to focus on the historicals since they’re intended as the central focus.
But I’ll definitely keep it in mind as something to potentially introduce after we get things going.

It won't drag my interest down. I already have a prospecting figure. Spoiler, it's Balduin IV of Jerusalem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back