• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

TheImmortalDeity

the greatest mule
Back, eons ago, a great war between the gods shook the world. Vienna, the Goddess of Darkness and mother of all beasts fought against The Twelve Divine and their holy city. The earth quaked, volcanoes erupted, and tsunamis clashed, permanently shifting the land as a thousand-year-war was waged. Eventually, Vienna was defeated, shattered along the landscape and embedded into the soil. The Twelve Divine, weakened, were forced into a long slumber, unable to destroy Vienna entirely. Both sides, however, left a legacy. Their creations.

The Twelve Divine birthed all that was deemed good in the world: humans, elves, dwarves, and the various other races that were to be respected as "heroes". Vienna, in her rage and anguish, gave life to terrible beasts; mindless monsters that were created solely to destroy. These two sides were fated to collide, turmoil and discontent constantly brewing between them. Born from different beliefs, it is the duty of the heroes to destroy all that is evil and protect mankind from their heinous existence! That's, at least, what the good guys have to say.

Your story takes place in the continent of Valenzia, a land filled with corruption, war, and most of all, fear. As an evil-doer, your life is seen as a threat to all that is peaceful in the world. One way or another, the populace of light has disowned you, and you are now a menace to society. Your fate begins at your respective homestead, preparing to gather for the news of the battlefront and the various measures the Eternal Eminence, Lord of the Nuvok Army, intends to take to bring a resolute end to the Pax Alliance and their holy crusade.​

Duchess Varenza
High on top of Nuvok Castle, above the roars of beasts; the screams of the damned; and the chattering gossip of the city, Lapas Ghûl, resides the bedroom of the Nuvok Army general, Duchess Varenza. With a view from her spire of all the land that the army of darkness occupies, Varenza sat at her desk, littered with papers consisting of information from treasury ledgers to intricate military movements of the Nuvok Army as a whole. Various quills had been writing on their own, signing off on documents and flipping through pages as Varenza sifted through them quickly and methodically. Once she felt satisfied enough to stop, she let out a long, deep sigh of relief, leaning back in her chair and allowing her hair to drape over the headrest.

The Duchess, in simple terms, was quite a sight to behold. She had a humanoid form, with angular features that resembled that of a beautiful human. Her hair was a pale white that drifted down to her hips, giving off an image of freshly fallen snow. The similarities to humans, however, stopped from her arms downward. Varenza’s hands resembled that of igneous rock which was cracked with unbearable flames that lay underneath the surface. A wispy inferno made up where her legs should have been, akin to that of a fire elemental or a djinn. She rose from her seat and approached the man that still lay asleep in her bed, Aerline, the flames extending to him, and yet did not burn. Instead, there was a gentle caress, as she goaded the merfolk to rise from his slumber.

As he steadily awakened, clinging to the silken white sheets of the king-sized bed, Varenza glided away from him and to the window, looking down at the citizens below. “It’s a foreboding day,” she said, hardly audible to Aerline. “I don’t look forward to what it will bring.” Once again, she huffed in exasperation. “I have to attend a meeting for the generals today, but after that, I want us to have a meal together. I know you enjoy your walks in Lapas Ghûl, but it’s been a while since the two of us enjoyed a night out, don’t you think?” She smiled at him, adjusting the cloth that covered her eyes in such a way that it came off as almost bashful.
Lo Mayn Lo Mayn
Oracle Ankarceda
The Institute of Madness is a building acting as both Lapas Ghûl’s library and a safe haven for studying the arcane. Within the confines of its magical walls, where hallways twist and turn and paths both intersect and divide, Oracle Ankarceda, the librarian and academic dean, found herself watching passersby in the student center. Acting as a large opening that permits the social gathering of students and those that love to read a good book, the student center allowed one to find themselves amongst towering bookshelves teeming with forbidden grimoires, dark lore, and historical literature of legends long forgotten. In the middle of the center was an enchanted orb that incessantly rotated and broke itself apart, only to fix itself soon thereafter. It acted as the magical centerpiece that allowed the mahogany shelves to float or for a book to jut from one shelf to another. As her divining gaze scanned over the room in its entirety, she noticed along the wall, nestled deep in a cranny that hid away from the boisterous atmosphere of the chamber, a young dark elf with a tower of books to her side as she wore a perplexed expression.

As she rose from her desk, which was cleaned to the point where one had to struggle to find a speck of dust on its surface, the Oracle’s full imposing figure came into focus. She was abnormally tall, standing at around seven feet, and her lithe form was covered in a black gown that draped to the floor, loosely following her every step. Her face was covered by a shawl, and as one attempted to peer at her visage, they were met by an illusion that obscured her features, painting a constant shadow over her. She wore little jewelry, except for the rings that were found on either of her long, boney fingers, each emanating an unnerving magical essence, even to those with no sense for the arcane. As she steadily made her way over to the dark elf, who she now recognized as Naivier Ifficus, the elderly woman called out to her in a harsh, gravelly voice.

“Ah, child of Val’Dara, you look confused.” Her ever-knowing eyes scanned over a few of the books that Naivier coveted, reading titles that went along the lines of: Vienna and Her Blessings, Religion? What’s That?, and That Goddess is a Real Hottie. She was surprised that the girl had found anything relating to Vienna, as the books around here tend to have a mind of their own, and without a librarian, avoided the gaze of many. “Are you perhaps looking for something in particular? Maybe my skills can be of service?”
Colorless Spectrum Colorless Spectrum
Emil Ifficus
In the crowded streets of the Market of Screams, two dark elves found themselves circumventing the tides of a busy bazaar. Everywhere one looked, the area was filled with activity: peddlers that called out to strike a deal, denizens of various shapes and sizes that each maneuvered around one another, whether safely or not, and a beautiful starless sky that existed above them, intensifying the various fixtures and magical orbs of light that brought life to this ever-bustling place of commerce. Emil was forced to watch his every step, or else risk the chance of stomping on a smaller being, such as a goblin, or find himself in the path of an ethereal ghost emerging from the cobblestone below. As creatures continued to brush by and push against him, the assassin reached for his half-sister, Yazquin. Making sure to have a steady grip on her wrist, he continued to lead her through the occasional gaps that exposed themselves before him.

The dark elf possessed a lean and muscular stature, one befitting a trained killer that actively worked under the command of the High Priest, Vorndrin. His dark skin and white hair exposed his pure dark elven bloodline, and his eyes were a sharp golden hue, inherited by his mother, Gwynn Ifficus. He wore little armor, completely shirtless and only having one arm covered in a light metallic sheathing. The clothes that he did wear were black in nature with a sleek, weightless fabric, and the bottom of his face was covered by a baggy onyx scarf. As they passed another merchant that appeared to be selling ceramics, only to be shot down by the unnerving glare of Emil, the young man spoke out to Yazquin, if only abruptly.

“The list,” he referenced. “Its contents?” Emil spoke of the grocery list their mother had provided Yazquin before heading out to the shopping district. The two had been drifting randomly along with the pedestrian traffic, and it became evident Emil was becoming annoyed. “Let’s buy them and leave.”
. D O V E . D O V E
Yinvha, Guardian of the Forbidden Woods
Deep in the Forbidden Woods was a glade of open expanse that was surrounded by trees that towered well into the skies above. Exotic shrubbery, such as those marked with polka dots or those that became sentient and ensnared nearby fauna in their thorny vines served as the outer limits to this opening. Placed directly in the middle of it all, with a gentle ray of sunlight hitting them from above, was a mythical creature and their humanoid child that laid snuggled together, both snoring away. As a small gust of wind blew against Yinvha’s feathers, the beast began to rise from its slumber. As they blinked away their grogginess, a sense of foreboding washed over them, like a stream of unwanted news. Slowly, the creature began to nudge the changeling beside them.

As Mne opened their eyes, the form of their adoptive father became clear. Yinvha was massive, easily towering over the tiny changeling many times over. Their face was much like that of a snow owl, and on the top of their head all the way down their lengthy, slender neck, were large white feathers with red tints at the end of them. Their body was similar to that of a horse, possessing six legs of a stallion and a burly torso that made them appear proportionate in size. Then, at the very end, near their hindquarters, was a long tail that was reminiscent of a fox’s, with a sort of fluff that one fell asleep on after a long day, much like Mne had the night before. With a telepathic link that Yinvha shared with the changeling, the mysterious beast began to speak into the depths of their mind.

“The winds of the Forbidden Woods tell me of a great change that is bound to take place soon.” Yinvha sounded somewhat worried, now nuzzling for Mne to stand on his feet. “I do not know what they imply, but I wish for you to be wary, young one.” Yinvha had now risen to their full height, the top of their head brushing against some of the branches that hung low from the trees that loomed overhead. “Be careful, young one,” he reinstated, this time making eye contact with the mischievous fey. “I wish for you to hold back on your antics today. That hag, Matilda, has still not forgiven you from last time, and while I do not know if this is her magic that speaks to me, I will not have you putting yourself in harm's way. Am I to be understood?”
LokiPokie LokiPokie
Archlich Ghoux’rux
If one were to visit the homes of Lapas Ghûl’s affluent neighborhoods, it was impossible to miss the towering mansion that was owned by the Archlich Ghoux’rux, priest of the Defiled Church and accomplished sage of the Nuvok Army. The building was massive, and its interior mimicked that fact. With a dining room that seated way too many guests, a kitchen that had to be actively cleaned at all times by Unseen Servants, and enough bedrooms to throw a slumber party for the entire block, Ghoux’rux found himself hunkered within his cramped study, the smallest room in the house, finishing up the last transcript for the sermon he planned to hold that day. With a satisfied, raspy, and undead sigh, his lanky form rose from the relic of a chair that he had sat on as he stretched his old bones and began to head for his child, Bob’s, room.

The skeleton was robed in attire befitting of a priest, bedazzled with all sorts of rare metals and gems, along with various propaganda of Vienna, his goddess, such as several hands imprinted all along with the fabric and certain verses etched along the sleeves. His headdress possessed chimes that slightly tinged as he hovered over the marble flooring of his abode. As he approached the bedroom of his adopted child, somewhat nervous energy erupted over his unlived form. Grasping his rickety hand over the doorknob, he gently peeked inside, seeing the dullahan still resting soundly within the sheets of their bed.

Ghoux’rux floated over to them, and while reaching into the depths of their oversized cloak, he revealed a magical trinket that looked to be in the shape of a bell and a mallet. Then, with a drawn-out raise of his hand, he smashed the mallet against the bell, a long GOOOOOOOONG roaring from it and vibrating along the room, a magical essence seeping into the depths of Bob’s psyche and jolting them awake from their slumber. “It’s time to wake up, sleepy no head,” Ghoux’rux sang in a melodic voice, unbefitting of his terrible visage. “If you keep sleeping so soundly like that, I may have to replace the headboard with a tombstone, HARHARHAR. Now come on, get up. You’ve got a rehearsal to get to, right? How are you gonna knock them all DEAD if you’re late, sweetheart?”
Ambiloquous Ambiloquous
Raz of the Raulthraxx Tribe
The soft pitter-patter of clawed feet against the mossy groundwork of the Forbidden Woods gently sounded as Raz, a kobold sorcerer that inherited the boon of his great ancestor, Raulthraxx the Ascended, led his younger brother, Mallus, on a hunt. The two were following the scent of an Almiraj, a fey bunny-like creature with a horn atop its head. As they trudged along the vegetation of the Forbidden Woods, with its towering trees that covered the light above and the unruly roots that ran the risk of being tripped on, all the way to the thorny bushes that laid strewn around the base of the mossy floor, where it was impossible to view the soil that fueled them underneath; it was Mallus’ expertise that assisted Raz in ensuring he wasn’t to be ensnared by these natural traps, Mallus calling them out every so often. Eventually, the duo wandered upon a small clearing, where in the middle stood the small brown uni-bunny that fed on a patch of, surprisingly, untainted grass.

With his small raptor-like hand, he motioned for Mallus to stay still and wait. Raz, if one looked at him for some time, was notably small, much like any other kobold. His scales were a deep, crimson red that had been inherited by their draconic progenitor. He wore a hood to cover the tiny horns that rested on the top of his scalp and yet was unable to mask the long, protruding muzzle of his lizardy face. He visually looked only slightly older than Mallus, and yet there was an air of certainty in the way he presented himself. Excitedly, his spiked tail wagged back and forth as he used his free arm to reach for the pouch resting on his hip.

“Now, do you remember the cantrip I taught you, Mal? The one called firebolt? I want you to use it on that creature right there. It’s a hunter’s pride to have fallen a beast of his own accord, and it’s up to you to prove to our tribe that you are finally capable of hunting on your own.” His slanted yellow eyes peered over to his brother, a gentle grin creeping over his maw. “Now then, show me what you can do!” Pulling out a small, straight piece of iron from his pouch, Raz began to mutter a few incantations and wave his hands about excessively before a ray of some unidentifiable magic took purchase on the Almiraj, the creature being paralyzed as its muscles froze up on the spot.
Arvios Arvios
La’Bella Ifficus
As the gong that signified the end of classes rang out from the Institute of Madness, the duo of La’Bella Ifficus and Allie Gival found themselves exiting from the building and entering the school’s courtyard. Despite being a place that was meant to invite blissful scenery to the students, the ambiance of the enclosure was drab and meek. With dead trees that lacked nutrients from an absent sun, flowers that snapped at one’s heel when walked by, and a fountain with a statue of a gorgon that held up its severed head which promptly spewed blood from the wound, the feng shui of the area was lost to an eerie aesthetic. In light of all this, the dark elf girl, La’Bella, appeared undeterred by the wicked landscape, her cheeks puffed up in a pout as she walked beside her human classmate.

When Allie looked at the girl, she saw a beautiful figure that emanated the dignified and graceful appearance that came from someone that had an elven background. Her skin was a dark blue and her irises reflected the endless ocean that one easily lost themselves in. Her long, elven ears were nestled against her braided jet black hair, and her dainty nose was scrunched up in a fit of disappointment. They donned a forest green cloak with armor on only the shoulders, which jutted out in three rows of spikes. Her fashion underneath was indicative of a wealthy background, embroidered with jewelry all over her body and a shirt and pants that were intricately woven to mesh with the rest of the accouterment that she wore. As she caught Allie’s eye, the girl’s brow furrowed.

“I mean, it’s ridiculous, isn’t it? Why does the Master have to make the written exams so difficult? How was I supposed to know what would happen if someone combined the magical equations for Thunderwave and Thunder Step? I’m a freaking sorceress for crying out loud!” La’Bella flinched, noticing the few heads that turned her way after shouting, the girl looking at her feet abashedly before continuing in a softer tone. “Gah, I’m just so frustrated. Let’s head over to The Lonely Jackal and grab a bite to eat. Maybe you can tell me how you studied for the exam so I can do better next time? It’ll be my treat.”
AI10100 AI10100
Barranak Silverhorn
In the Amphitheater of Anguish, the cries of battle and the clashing of steel were all too common. The size of the battling arena stretched a mile long and was capable of housing thousands of soldiers at a time. Within it, one was able to train day in and day out, the area enchanted by a spell that gradually restored one’s fatigue and spirit, by courtesy of the Oracle Ankarceda. Off to a small section of the field, near the entrance, was a group of minotaurs sparring with each other in a vicious manner that looked only seconds away from an actual brawl. Amidst them were the two brothers, Barranak Silverhorn and his younger sibling Aegrius Nohorn.

The older brother, Barranak, was a hefty minotaur with a rugged exterior that exemplified a warrior with experience under his belt. He had a long black mane that reached down the entirety of his spine and a matching beard plaited into a single braid that rested under his chin. His physique was broad, his muscles contracting as he wielded a large, rusty greatsword with chips and dents embedded into the blade from overuse. Besides the obvious bull-like features that he had due to his minotaur lineage, he also bore a large golden nose ring, which moved ever so slightly with every large inhale that he made. Additionally, his horns had been encased in a silver sheathe, along with a variety of large rings that were hooped over his clad horns. As he wrestled for dominance against Aegrius, their horns smashing together, the older brother secured his stance as he grappled with the similarly stocky minotaur, Barranak making one final push for victory.

Gripping his brother by the leather belt around their waist like a sumo wrestler, Barranak boasted an outrageous strength as he hoisted Aegrius well into the air, only to slam him back down on the floor with a resounding THUD, the other minotaur flat on their backside, breathing heavily in defeat. “Not too bad, lil’ bro! If ya put your hooves more into it, I’m sure ya will beat me in no time. Now then, how about we have another go, hm?” Barranak extended his meaty hand to Aegrius, his tusks becoming more obvious as a crooked grin appeared on his face.

Allie Gival
Interacting with: TheImmortalDeity TheImmortalDeity

Opposed to her friend, Allie seemed to have a spring to her step. Written exams were the only things she ever excelled at, unlike most of the students in the Institute. Theoreticals came easier to her than anything else. Maybe it was the amount of time she spent with her nose buried in her books, or maybe it was just some residue from Ruthven's creation. If only her magical capabilities caught up to her theoretical knowledge, maybe she wouldn't be this low on the ladder. Well, no use getting sad about it!

Speaking of which...

She looked over to her ever ethereal friend, bringing up a hand to her mouth to hide her smile.
"You're cute like that." La'Bella was an excellent sorceress— the prodigy of their batch if you will. Seeing her pout like this because of an exam was a rare occasion. Allie reached out, practically a fleeting touch to La'Bella's back as a faint attempt at comfort. "Anyway, you know that Master just likes challenging us at every corner. Ruth-- ah, Vienna forbid we have an easy time." At every step was a more accurate saying, if she was being honest. It wasn't easy to advance through the cloaks, but even if you weren't aiming for the top spot, the Institute's classes were deadly. Master never let up on any of them. "Oh, on paper, it's a complicated process but it essentially boils down to an explosive short-range teleportation... which also shatters some eardrums to anyone unfortunate enough to be close by." Mixing and matching spells weren't exactly something a magically inept mage like herself could do but... learning about them though... "I bet you can cast it if you tried."

"A tutor session but the other way around? I don't know whether Master would be pleased or have a heart attack." Allie joked with a light laugh. La'Bella had been assigned to her specifically because Allie needed help with... everything—ranging from adjusting to Lapas Ghûl to actually being able to cast any magic. "Maybe you should eat some goodberries while studying. Perhaps they might help?" She patted the pouch that had been refilled with goodberries before the exam. It was her main source of nutrition and even if it practically tasted like dust at that point, maybe it was the key to remembering things. By instinct, she reached out into the pouch and popped a berry into her mouth, as if she hadn't just been invited to eat out.

"But, for now, food sounds ideal. Maybe you should let out some of that frustration in the Amphitheater after, yeah?"

Naivier Ifficus

b38ab452197bd3beb693143186a3dfb7.jpg

A yawn escaped her lips as she read the passage of the book that she held in her hands. The Vienna in You, she wasn't really sure what she expected of the book but it certainly didn't have anything of the sort that she needed. If anything, it looked like a fanfiction with an author's insert falling in love and falling in love with Vienna herself. It was horribly written, there were grammars that needed fixing, and some words get repetitive throughout the book, the main character also was a bit static. She wondered if Bob wrote this... No, this was better written than anything the Dullahan has ever made.

She let out a small sigh in annoyance at her circumstances. That damned clown just had to send her down here for a nigh impossible search, looking for books about Vienna wasn't easy and the Institute was humongous enough as it was. "There is nothing to see that explains that passage." She whispers to herself as she placed a hand to her head, her thumb tracing circles to her temple to ease the headache as she had been reading for hours now. It surprises even her that she's still keeping at it or her eyes would have been spinning to the back of her head. "Who makes these books?" She asked no one in particular as she looked at the title, That Goddess is a Real Hottie, she wasn't even planning on touching that.

"Nope." None at all.

Naivier was on the verge of giving up when she felt the presence that sent chills crawling up her spine although she never made a show of it. She turned to see that towering figure of the Oracle Ankarceda. The young dark elf was never fond of sudden interaction, and if it weren't a librarian like the Oracle herself, she would have made some snarky remarks and been dismissive but anyone who takes care of books are worthy of respect in Naivier's eyes. Books were, after all, one of her greatest amusement in life. There was something about reading and learning that hooked her, whatever kind of book it was. She loved to do ever since she first held a book.

"Yes," She said in an instant, wanting to get over with the search of this book as quickly as possible. "I do require assistance, Oracle Ankarceda, the Archlich Ghoux'rux told me to find a book he referenced to me about during his sermon. The title eludes me as he forgot to say what it was." She explained politely, and if anyone were to see Naivier speak in such a way, she was sure their jaws would be on the floor right now. "The passage was... Something about Vienna and eating your own children? Do you have any other books along those lines?" She knew the exact words, it was just that it seemed too much and too weird to speak out loud.

"I have a few books that I still have yet to read." She said pointing towards two more books, one being Vienna's Reign, and the other had a suspicious title with sausages that may be just another fanfiction. "But I also feel like what I'm looking for isn't really here."

mention: Ambiloquous Ambiloquous [Bob]|| interaction: TheImmortalDeity TheImmortalDeity [Oracle Ankarceda]

"Mmph." Aegrius ignored Barranak's hand, lifting himself off of his back with a huff. Slowly, he got back on his hooves, putting his hand to his neck and cracking it, releasing any tension he had. "It's not a matter of me getting a good foothold. You're just too strong, bro." He made his way over to a nearby weapon rack, eyeing each of the options carefully before selecting a steel battle-ax. Weighing it in his hands, Aegrius took a few hefty swings before letting out a satisfied grunt. "How about we up the ante a little, yeah? We duke it out and the loser has to pay for the winner's next hoof shining. You in?"

With a nod, Barranak tightly gripped his broadsword, raising it so that the tip pointed towards Aegrius. "Come at me, lil' bro," he said eagerly, pounding at the part of his chest that had no armor.

At first, it began as a slow trot, but as Aegrius began to gain momentum, he eventually charged at Barranak full speed. Raising his weapon, he put everything he had into winding up for a solid swing, but just as he was prepared to cleave his older brother in two, Aegrius felt his hold on his weapon loosen. Soon enough, it was out of his hands, flying towards an unlucky duo of orcs that had barely gotten out of the way before the large weapon lodged itself into the cobblestone wall beside them. "Ah, oops, how about we have a redo and-".

SLASH.

The rusted broadsword, despite its visibly dull edge, raked itself across Aegrius' chest, digging deep into his skin with a horizontal strike. The claymore, in all of its weight, came to a thud, the edge burying itself into the dirt. Aegrius' blood covered the ground before him. That didn't phase him. However, as he went to try and sucker-punch Barranak in the nose, the older minotaur's hand went up, signaling for the fight to stop.

Barranak, with a slightly worried look on his face, called out to someone off to the side. "Oi, Phee! Can ya get over here? I went a little too overboard and now Aegrius needs some medical attention," he said, referencing a small goblin girl that was sitting on the stone bleachers nearby. As the girl's long green ears perked to Barranak's booming voice, they hopped off the stand, scuttering over as fast as their little legs allowed them.

The goblin girl looked relatively young, most likely only an initiate cleric. She had long black hair that was intertwined back into a ponytail. Her skin was a verdant green, and her eyes a shimmering yellow. She was dressed in drab brown rags, and a satchel that was much too large for her dangled from her shoulder, swaying back and forth as she waddled over to Aegrius. As she got close, Phee beamed at Aegrius with a bright smile, revealing rows of jagged, crooked teeth.

"Oh dear, oh dear. I keep telling you two to not go overboard and look at what happens!" Before Aegrius was allowed to rebuttal, she had already begun to chant, the girl's palms glowing gently before she placed them against Aegrius' leg. As the divine power of Vienna coursed through his body, the minotaur felt as his wound began to stitch itself back up perfectly.

"I didn't need to be healed," Aegrius grumbled. "I had everything under control."

"Don't be stupid, bro. A real warrior knows when to back off. That's what defines a living legend and a dead one. Don't forget that."

"Tch. Fine. You can go back, Phee. Thank you. I'm gonna go ahead now and show my brother that a mistake like that won't ever happen again," Aegrius said, feeling his blood boil.

"Okay, but be careful! I only have so many spells to waste on you two blockheads." With that, Phee bounded off, leaving the brothers to begin their spar once more.

Bob

Visions of dancing spiders wearing dapper top hats and strobing spotlights skittering across headless horses flew out of Bob’s head as a resounding, soul-yoinking peal smashed through their principal actor dreams and pulled them into their Rock #612 reality.

GOOOOOOOONG.

The sound heralded a wave of pure disappointment, a familiar feeling that washed through the dullahan as they pumped themselves up for another day of unacknowledged greatness. The rest of the theatre simply couldn’t admit that they were too spectacular, too innovative, too talented due to having their heads buried in the ground—but Bob had no such biological blunders to wear away their good sense. Bob recognized their own significance in performing arts history. Bob predicted that their true destiny to shine upon a stage would arrive soon. Bob… grunted.

During this entire mental melodrama, their body had been flopping around the bed like a fish on dry land, and their non-existent mouth had directed something that barely sounded like
“I’m awake, for Vienna’s sake”
towards their rouser, very unlike their passionate and loquacious internal monologue. But that could be forgiven; great artists were known for having terrible morning tempers. Unfortunately, possessing surface similarities with great artists could not stop them from flopping all the way off the bed and onto the floor, causing a halt in their inner self-eulogizing to form a gutteral noise signalling their pain.

Pushing themselves off the ground and stumbling to their feet with the help of Ghoux’rux’s trailing robes, they shook their torso and cleared their throat. Patting around for a suitably dramatic cloak, they found the beaded curtains instead and settled for that article of drapery. Throwing it away with excessively exaggerated flair, they declared,

“I undoubtedly have a rehearsal, dad,
I believe it’s about a dryad…?
I-I mean, of course, it’s regarding a fairy,
My forgetfulness was but momentary!”

As if to cover up their mistakes, they hurried to push the Archlich out the door.

“Now shoo, shoo!
My clothes are all askew,
And don’t you have other tasks to do?”

↞ ♞ ↠

Straightening their neatly pressed ascot and shifting their a rubellite pin a tad to the right, they stared into the mirror and drew a smiley face in the area their head would be. Then they slumped and rubbed off the markings their fingers had left on the glass, inwardly listing all the reasons why not having a head aided in life.
  • Anything aiming for their head would simply fall through.
  • It made for good conversation!
  • Inner beauty became the focus instead of a superficial exterior.
  • One had a perfect poker face—since there would be no face!
This morale-boosting recording of justifications continued until Bob moved their way outside, past Ghoux’rux if he was still in the hallways, and into the stable housing Bucephalus Margarita IV. Patting the neck of their closest companion, Bob greeted them with a bounce in their gait.

“Bucephalus, it’s time to seize the day!
But before that, would you like some additional hay?”

Interactions
TheImmortalDeity TheImmortalDeity

Last edited:
1645673053315.png

Hmm?” Aerline groaned, still waking. Leaving Varenza’s words lingering for a moment longer as he wiped his eyes clean from the nightly muck and grime of slumber. Awakening into the constant mock night of Lapus Ghûl always temporarily convinced Aerline that he had stepped from one dream into another, one bright into one dark. Even two years in, the transition could be particularly steep. He rose.

Aerline looked up at her, perched at the window, and through a slim smile, bemoaned, “I hope your pessimism for today isn’t what spurred the request. Not that I fear bad news; I’m just tired of hearing it. But yes,” he answered, still somewhat groggy. “That is fine; I enjoy our outings.” He slid to the end of the bed.

Despite the outward appearance of a small lonely spire, Varenza’s room was actually quite spacious and engulfing. Lit by bright colorful wisps that flowed around the room on an invisible track at her request, the large room breathed with life.

Aerline stretched and escaped from the bed, crossing the room towards the dresser, where he took his sleeveless turtleneck and a simple brown trousers. “I did not plan to take much of a walk today anyways as I am considering a trip to the Amphitheater again to look for more sparring. And if I’m lucky, I won’t have to see that oxen-man again. I’ll be in the bath if you need me.” And so, he disappeared behind two thick lengthy curtains into the bathroom. Under a reflective glass he ran the water nearly scalding and let the steam envelope him.

Mentions: TheImmortalDeity TheImmortalDeity (aggierston debroom)

YAZQUIN IFFICUS

The market's clangor filled a particular paladin's ears as she weaved through a dense crowd of Lapas Ghul's denizens alongside another. The market welcomed patrons of all sizes and compositions, from the tiniest of grungs to the stockiest of beastmen. Of course, such peculiarities made traversing the piazza much harder, demanding keen perception from bypassers lest an undesirable mishap occur. However, the paladin of our story appeared to be wholly distracted by a hand wrapped around her wrist. It wasn't due to the firmness of the hold nor its coldness, but rather the rarity of the moment. It wasn't every day that Yazquin could experience Emil's protectiveness.

Pink orbs slowly ran its focus up the toned limb anchoring her in place, eventually settling at the sturdy frame of a warrior esteemed by everyone. She then moved her gaze upwards, noting the messiness of his fair hair and the jadedness of his golden orbs. Emil has always been a hardworking man, never failing to amaze and make the family proud, but deep inside she wished he could take more breaks. It was why she appreciated the current predicament they were in right now, as horrid as being squeezed by smelly creatures may be. She'd rather regard the situation as an opportunity for rest and bonding rather than an annoying chore.

"HEY! Watch it, dumbass!" A voice followed a pained shriek coming from below. When Yazquin flung her gaze downwards, it met the glare of a fuming goblin, the edges of its cloak caught beneath the sole of her boot. She immediately raised her foot, leaving mud taints on the tattered fabric which only caused the goblin's frown to grow deeper.

"My apologies!" A drop of sweat rolled down her temple before she felt Emil tug her forward and away from the goblin who was eventually drowned in the sea of creatures. A sheepish smile settled on her face, one that was directed at her companion who were silently shutting down a peddler before inquiring about the list she apparently held. "Oh, right!" She exclaimed to herself, face brightening at the remembrance before rummaging deeply into her pocket. It was a good idea to possess profound patches in the bazaar as its nature made it vulnerable to petty thieves and the likes. Of course, Yazquin would hate to lose the money her parents had kindly given her.

"Aha! There it is!" Like lighting a lamp in a glittering room, the half-elf's smile illuminated even more as it grew wider. She flashed a piece of parchment at the stoic assassin before attempting to scrutinize whatever her mother had written in it. "Let's see here... One flask of-"

"CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!"

In a blink of an eye, a dark blur flew past Yazquin and the list vanished from her hands. She audibly gasped at the realization, throwing her gaze upwards where she saw a crowlock perched atop a stall's roof. One of its four claws held onto the stolen file, igniting flames of panic within the pits of her stomach. She hastily pointed at the animal who only tilted its head at her, its eight eyes of red locked onto hers as though mockingly. "DUMBASS! DUMBASS! DUMBASS!" The crowlock loudly chanted, causing a set of nerves to pop on Yaz's forehead rather comically.

"Y-you...," she clenched her fists shakily, anger boiling. It reminded her of that time a certain fish man obnoxiously laughed at her during her legendary fight with her minotaur friend. It was unacceptable! "YOU'LL BE OUR DINNER TONIGHT!" She yelled out with such passion before pushing through the crowd to reach the fowl, the precaution she had shown earlier completely thrown out of the window as she attempted to shove and squeeze her way through the bustling crowd.

Last edited:
La'Bella
There was a moment where Allie's comment on her hung in the air. Her cheeks felt flushed, and as they continued to speak, La'Bella felt her mood brighten. "You're just saying that. Vienna knows if I fail another test, I'll never hear the end of it from Emil," she groaned. "If Master really cared, she'd let me do a practical instead. I'm great at those!" She thought of the implications for casting the spell, and something within her knew that, just as Allie said, she was likely to pull it off. That could've given her a much better score. Then, as Allie let out a jab towards herself, the dark elf stopped in her tracks. Resting her hands on her hips, she furrowed her brows.

"Y'see, this is what I'm talking about! Stop being mean to my friend!" she exclaimed, her face slowly softening back into an endearing smile. "You have plenty of good qualities about you, Allie. Why do I have to keep reminding you?" She glanced at the berries. "Maybe you forget because your brain is getting fried from eating those all day. I'll have to start bringing an extra lunch for you," she joked. With a similar pace as before, she continued to traverse through the courtyard until they eventually exited the institute gates, leading into the main streets of Lapas Ghûl.

Above them, flying in the starless sky, the sound of blaring horns went off. It was signaling the return of Fleet Admiral Viktoria's flying ship, the Ocean's Sigh. It was a massive ebony aircraft with a sail of the Nuvok Army's symbol, a blue woman covering her eyes, and at the bow of the ship, a figurehead of a siren. Various cannons littered the sides of the vessel, and anyone that possessed any knowledge of the arcane knew that they were magically attuned. Finally, even from the distance that La'Bella and Allie stood, the hauntingly beautiful figure of Viktoria, which currently steered the ship, seared into their minds.

"That's weird," La'Bella commented, somewhat puzzled. "Fleet Admiral Viktoria doesn't usually visit the capital unannounced. Were the generals supposed to hold an assembly today?" She shook her head. "It's not my place to ask questions. I'm sure it'll be fine." There was a tinge of dread laced in her words, an ominous wave of anxiety weighing down on her shoulders.

"As for the Amphitheater," she began, trying to pry away from her earlier thoughts and gain back her composure, "I have a mission today. I'll only have time to eat before we're deployed. Not to mention . . . I don't think I have the patience for another impromptu headache from Aegrius. We'll have to settle for lunch today, m'kay? Oh, but when I get back, I'll tell you all about what happened! Who knows, I might even snag a souvenir for you~."

AI10100 AI10100

Oracle Ankarceda
"I see," the oracle croaked. "That is quite the conundrum that Priest Ghoux'rux has put you in." The ancient figure listened intently to Naivier's qualms, and as the meat of the matter was presented, they nodded in understanding. "The Archlich has a tendency of asking impossible favors from those of the cloth. If he had the mind, he would've known to tell you that the book you're looking for, The Curse of Vienna, is located in the forbidden section of the archives. It is not material that is typically accessible to those outside of my tutelage." Despite the absence of a face, Naivier felt the oracle sizing her up. "However, I am known for making an exception or two from time to time."

As she raised a decrepit hand, the cleric watched as their fingers quickly spelled something in the air, a hint of magic radiating at Ankarceda's fingertips. Then, off in the distance, in the center of the lounge where the magical orb rotated and fluctuated randomly, the sphere suddenly reacted to her movements, ceasing all motion. Like clockwork, it quickly began to spin in the opposite direction before a book was seen whizzing by various pedestrians, making its way straight for Ankarceda. In a graceful exhibit of her librarian background, the elder snatched the book mid-air, as if it were second nature. The volume had a sleek black cover, and its title was imprinted in gold. Other than that, there were no discernable features to indicate the literature had additional properties attached to it.

Flipping it open, the pages seemed to sift through themselves rapidly, an uncomfortable silence being shared between the two before the oracle stopped on a certain page. "Now then, let's see here. If I remember correctly, this particular read had a bit of illusion magic cast on it. Luckily for you, I specialize in divination." Once more, her fingers traced over the page, a feeling of minor arcana leaving her touch. "There. It seems the particular passage you were referring to was: 'Then because of the dire straights to which you will be reduced when your enemy besieges you, you will eat your own children, the flesh of your sons and daughters whom Vienna has given you'. Does that sound right? If so, I've already dispelled any possible harm the tome may have caused you. Read it at your leisure." They handed Naivier the book before slinking their hands back under the shadows of their cloak.

"If that was all you needed, then I shall be on my way," she said, turning to head back to her desk.

Colorless Spectrum Colorless Spectrum

Archlich Ghoux'rux
"Now now, don't get a head of yourself. It's hard for me to watch you crawl out of the grave like that . . . since I DON'T HAVE EYES! HAR HAR HAR!" Ghoux'rux cackled to himself, his dress wear rattling in response. His emotionless skull followed Bob's movements, from when they fell to the floor, to using his robes to hoist themselves up, to them ripping off and wearing the window tapestry . . . again. "I'm gonna be buried in debt if I have to keep paying to replace those," he mused. "Now then, why don't we-".

"E-eh? Why all the shoving, Belll?" With a surprising amount of gusto from the once floundering dullahan, the Archlich was pushed to the hallway, not that it was very difficult. He was rather light. "I know how dead-icated you are, but could you spare the dying and spend some time with your father before you head-less out? It's not like the theater is a graveyard, so why are you dying to get there so soon?"

WHAM. The door was shut. "Huh? Did I say something wrong? If you keep giving me the cold shoulder, my teeth are never going to stop chattering!" No response. "They must be in that phase of their un-life," Ghoux'rux sighed. Making a gesture with his hand, the being began to daintily float directly above the ground before sliding its way to the kitchen. Once they had found a seat at their absurdly long dining table, which easily held around twenty people at once, the priest rest his skull on his arms, as if to mope.

"Is it my fault, oh great Vienna? Is it an undead curse for a single father to watch their child grow up so quickly, even if they can't physically grow since, well, you know, they're undead?" He pretended to sob, despite being unable to shed a tear. "No no, you're right. It's up to me, the only head of the household, to continue supporting them. I won't let their aspirations decay. There's always to-marrow! Blessed be, Vienna, I'll see them off now!"

He went to stand, only to hear the front door shut. "Ah, wait no, Belll! At least don't forget to bring your Viennensis with you!"

Outside of the manor, located near the back, was an extension of their property that held a magnificent house, even if it was markedly smaller than the mansion itself. Fortified in various precious metals and high-quality wood, to most, they assumed this was the homestead of another family member or acted as the servant's quarters to the already grandiose abode. However, Bob knew this was the stables to their beloved horse, Bucephalus.

The steed was jet black in color and its mane was a fiery purple, ignited by the flames of Hell. As Bob called to them, they rose to an imposing height, their musculature screaming that of a battle-hardened war horse that had survived many ventures. As their gazes met, a shared telepathic link connected their thoughts; as was the boon of a dullahan and their horse.

"No need, my liege. As was instructed of me, I have partaken in the appropriate amount of food laid out by the ingenious mind of none other than the one of which I proudly call my master. It is of great pleasure to once again be of service to you this morning. May we gallantly ride off into battle, where we may reap the . . . attention . . . of those attending the theater!" On closer inspection, beyond the horses' gallant figure, there were peculiar additions that Bob had added to heighten their presence. On Bucephalus' head was a bright pink top hat with sequined sparkles embedded into it. In place of a saddle, a bright yellow and orange tapestry laid on their back; an impulse buy from Loretta's Trinkets and Baubles. And finally, in place of the customary reigns made of the spines of one's victims, they were instead sleigh bells, which jingled at every step that Bucephalus took.

"I await your orders, my lord. At your word, may we bathe in the tears of . . . their joy . . . and soak in the spilled guts of . . . their laughter. Shall we depart?"

Ambiloquous Ambiloquous

Duchess Varenza
As Aerline spoke, Varenza rested her head against the windowpane. The flying ship, Ocean's Sigh, had started to drop anchor on the side of Nuvok Castle, where an airship dock had been specifically built to house the relic whenever the Fleet Admiral returned. Various individuals from Viktoria's crew were tying down the ship. She watched them all with feigning interest until her eyes had locked with Viktoria's. The owner of the vessel had finished steering the ship onto the loading bay, and as if by intuition alone, had noted the Duchess' watchful gaze. With a jovial grin, the pirate waved at them, only for Varenza to roll her eyes back to Aerline.

"Perfect. I will update you when my conference ends. You are free to enjoy yourself however you want until then," she said, eyeing the clothes that he picked out. "I shall also order some garments to be specifically tailored for the occasion." Then, before he left, she decided to leave him with a few words. "Be sure to tell that girl, Allie, that I said 'hello' when you get the chance."

Once he disappeared into the background, she drifted over to the nightstand that was beside Aerline's portion of the bed, placing a small stone on it. Without much thought, she went to exit the room, only to stay still and ponder a little longer. Grabbing a small piece of copper wire from one of the many pouches along her waist and placing it against her lip, she muttered a few words and pointed in the direction of the washroom. A voice, no louder than a whisper, had entered Aerline's mind as he bathed.

"I don't wish to disturb, but I've left a Sending Stone at your bedside. Contact me if anything happens while I am gone. See you." The message ended abruptly, but Aerline had the feeling that, if he wanted to, he was able to respond. With that, Duchess Varenza left.

Lo Mayn Lo Mayn

Last edited:

Naivier Ifficus

b38ab452197bd3beb693143186a3dfb7.jpg

And it really was a conundrum, Naivier had been searching and reading for who knows how long. Luckily enough for her, the Oracle came to help. Something she is eternally grateful for as it means she would not have to check to see if it was the book she needed or another fanfic in her hands. And the fact that Naivier wholeheartedly agrees with the Oracle that Ghoux'rux has no mind at all. Only tasteless dad jokes and boring sermons. While unable to see the woman's face, Naivier felt herself being judged. Upon hearing that she'd be making an exception, the half-elf immediately straightened her back and watched the librarian cast a spell.

It was surprising to her that the Oracle still has made no mention of the incident where the books she had borrowed from the library were burned and here she was making an exception for a book hidden in the forbidden section. She felt a sweat trickle down her neck, and she's sure that Ankarceda will be out for her neck one day. It's frightening not being able to know when, but such is life. Not like she can do anything against a great wizard like the Oracle. Especially when she's a beginner Cleric, not like she has great attack spells at her arsenal either.

Naivier simply watched in silence as Ankarceda flipped through the pages of the book with great speed. Now that would be a dream to be able to do. "Yes, that is the right one." She took the book gingerly with her hand and noted how the woman had told her to read it at her leisure. It felt like a threat. "Thank you, Oracle."

Once the woman had left her far enough, the half elf mumbled, "I'm gonna bring this back as soon as I can." She gave the book a once over, noticing how thick and simple it's design was. Not that it mattered. "Need to check this out."

Naivier started taking a step away when she stopped in her tracks as The Vienna in You invaded her field of vision from the corner of her eye. Reading the stupid fiction had left her with frustrations seeing how there were reviews that praised it. "I'll show that author and Lapas Ghûl what a real well written fanfic looks like." She claimed before stomping away to the check out forms.

Once she was done, with the The Curse of Vienna in her trusty sling bag, she made her way to the exit out of the Institute of Madness. From a distance she could spot two very familiar figures glancing above. Hmm? Ocean's Sigh is here? Interesting. She didn't stop to admire the the great vessel and further walked to reach Allie and her half sister before they hit the main road. "You two going on a romantic date?" She said from behind the two, a cheshired grin on her mouth awaiting they're reaction to her question.

mention: || interaction: AI10100 AI10100 [Allie] TheImmortalDeity TheImmortalDeity [Oracle Ankarceda] [La'Bella]

Last edited:

Allie Gival
Interacting with: TheImmortalDeity TheImmortalDeity Colorless Spectrum Colorless Spectrum

"Of course I'm saying it, it's the truth." Allie pointed out with a clueless tilt of her head. She had lied through her teeth plenty of times before, spewing half-truths and exaggerations. However, with La'Bella, she felt like it would be a disservice to the kind dark elf. Everything she had said to this point in time was entirely truthful. On the mention of Emil, Allie stiffened for a moment. She had never gotten along with him, likely never would. Something about hanging out with his sisters really seemed to tick him off. "I'm sure Sir Emil has gotten his own fair share of blunders in his own training before. Everyone has. It's part of the learning process. And if Master just kept us in our own comfort zones, then are we really learning anything?" Allie was no stranger to wishing for the opposite— for the practicals to turn into a written, theoretical exam. She fared well on those, actually casting them was simply another matter entirely.

Though, then again, being able to cast the spell is much more beneficial than just knowing about its inner workings.

Allie almost missed La'Bella stopping. Almost. Her eyes were almost always drawn towards the dark elf, as if constantly seeking her warm affection. She stopped two steps away and turned around, raising an eyebrow at her stance. It took her a moment to realize what this was about. A fond smile spread onto her face at La'Bella's reprimand. In her defense, she hadn't meant it that way at all... or, well, it wasn't that bad. It kept her expectations low enough that it wouldn't lead to her crashing too hard and not being able to get up. A sort of self-humbling method really, a way to avoid the crippling feeling of failure.

She elected to not say those words exactly as she raised her hand in mock surrender. "Okay, okay, you got me there. Apologies." Though both she and La'Bella knew the habit wouldn't die out any time soon. It had been a year of encouragement but Allie really thought there was no need to abandon those kinds of jokes. "Hey, goodberries are good for you. That's why they're called as such." She huffed out, a bit too defensive regarding her personal diet. Well, it was good for nutritional reasons. For someone who could not afford anything like herself, goodberries were the only way to get some nutrients in. Or, if she's lucky, the cafeteria was serving something that was friendly to her diet. "And I don't need the extra lunch, it's perfectly fine." She hurriedly added, not sure whether her friend was truly joking or not. La'Bella always spent a little too much money on her— the thought made her reach up to the necklace clasped around her neck, rubbing the gem it held as she followed her out of the Institute grounds— and she wasn't sure if she was doing enough to pay her back for all of these plus the kindness she had shown her on a daily basis.

The horns sounded off and she looked up instinctively, drinking in the sight of the Ocean's Sigh. Almost absentmindedly, Allie brought her hand up to a small salute to the crew and their captain. The memory of her foolishly conversing with the Fleet Admiral like she was any other person was still fresh on her mind even if it had happened a couple of months ago. To this day, she wasn't quite sure what had prompted the Fleet Admiral to permit her to sit down at the same table, let alone converse with her. She figured it was mostly luck or morbid curiosity. A part of her still wished to get another discussion going with the Fleet Admiral, she likely had fascinating stories to talk about and Allie wanted to hear all about it.

La'Bella voiced out her concerns that quickly pulled Allie out from her thoughts. "Maybe it's an emergency meeting." Allie responded, turning to her with a little shrug. She didn't really know how the Nuvok Army functioned aside from whatever information Master decided to grace her even though Allie had been thinking of joining. At her level, she would be more of a hindrance than an asset. "Hopefully nothing went wrong." But like her friend said, it wasn't anything they were privy to and likely wasn't going to be anything they would find out anyway. Whatever information Master gave her was just something she thought would be relevant to Allie or to her studies.

"A test and deployment all in the same day? That's unfortunate." Allie muttered. She couldn't imagine the amount of energy would be needed to juggle both the Institute and one's responsibilities to the Nuvok Army. "I still don't understand why you and Aggie don't get along. You're a nice person and he's a nice person, if a little crude at times and a bit of a musclehead. Is it because he's a more physical fighter? Come on, you know they're the warriors who act as our shields on the field." She joked, adding a light laugh afterward. Allie loved being in the Amphitheater. It gave her an opportunity to watch other people conduct studies of their own— their own form of training. And Aegrius's company was always welcome.

She waved her hand dismissively. "The only souvenir I need is you back here. You don't need to expend extra effort to get me something." And really, she meant it. She didn't need trinkets from the battlefield to feel elated whenever La'Bella came back. Sure, they were nice to study and play with but it wasn't and would never be a requirement. "I do look forward to hearing your stories. Hopefully not something too close to death."

A voice from behind them rang out and Allie sucked in a sharp inhale— her entire posture shifting with her back straight and her shoulders taut. She angled to look back at the increasingly familiar voice as her mind caught up with her reaction. "Pleasant day to you too Naivier." She greeted first, keeping her voice neutral. "I suppose if you consider going to an eatery that's often crowded with other people 'romantic', then I suppose we are."

Last edited:
Mallus of the Raulthraxx Tribe

cg8tsT4.jpg

From an outer perspective, it was hard to say what was going through Mallus’ tiny mind as he took the lead in guiding his older brother through the realm of the Forbidden Woods. The permanent dimness was not responsible for his chartreuse sight scouting from one side to the other more so than usual, nor was the constant brushing of dead foliage against his scaled ankles the source of his elevated pulse; the gray taste of decay and damp air did not daze him to the point of forgetting to take a deep breath as he was now, and the eerie silence—apart from armored tails and sharp claws upending twigs among other fragile remains—was not why he felt a questionable sense of unease. If anything, he welcomed the lack of light, and was used to clambering through the cumbering, curling roots. He loved the unique texture of the air, and the reticent ambience that at times stretched for miles brought him peace when he was alone on his own ventures. This was his home, after all, and he loved all of these things individually, more so when put together—just like a delicious meat kabob combined with different chunks from different quarries.

His journey this time around was not the typical shadowing of a hunt or foraging for materials as it usually was, and while internally he was a nervous wreck and a single bad move away from emotional self-destruction, he guides Raz with the external composure of a mountain.

“Careful,” he spoke against the silence with dramatic pause and flair, “the moss is slippery in these parts.”

There wasn’t a hint of trembling in his raised palm, nor a sign of anxiety in his voice; as a proud member of the Raulthraxx bloodline, he knew that showcasing distress in such an important tradition was a means of dishonoring all that their descendants had achieved, whether it was by sweat, blood, or sheer perseverance. The fact that he was the runt of his siblings meant that he had to try harder, to go the extra mile for the sake of his ascension. This trial would be the first stepping stone, and he knew he couldn’t afford to look weak in front of his spectator, even if it was his favorite brother.

With this weighing in his mind, the pair zeroed in on the colorful scent contrasted against the bleak air until they reached the edge of a clearing. There in the center was their target; its pale white fur and bulbous form reminded Mallus of a large puffball mushroom, except if puffball mushrooms had a dazzling horn growing out of a smaller fungal body. But more importantly, the element of surprise was still in their favor as the fey creature continued feeding unbothered. It wasn’t his first time in a hunt; Mallus would usually participate and assist with tracking, hauling supplies, performing field dressings, and so on. But this was the one thing he had never done. Something that he had witnessed at least a hundred times, a scenario that had played countless more in his head. The grip of his claws against the bark that the two used as cover tightened; the stage was set for his performance to unfold, and the curtains were rising for him to perform his first kill.

Upon hearing the manner of execution, Mallus nods at his brother, unsurprised as Raz favored the more arcane arts compared to the others in his family. It was a basic spell, but to the crimson kobold, it felt like… something else. Something far more important. Still nervous, it takes him a moment to calm down his jitters. He had to focus, as this was the one shot he could not afford to miss.

He inhales deeply, and slowly, then releases the air with even more patience. He repeats this process, all while in his mind, he envisions the peak of ascendance, a great shadow born from ancient fires. The form of Raulthraxx, or what he believes to be Raulthraxx, takes shape; just shifting his great wings creates a typhoon, spreading primordial ashes and cinders to the fortunate lands below. At this point, he feels a growing warmth from the very center of his being; a connection to his ancestry, and to the flames that forged not just his own pathway, but for his whole tribe. The dragon visiting his thoughtscape begins glowing a hot red-white, with the heat spreading towards the throat of the colossal creature. Without hesitation, Mallus breathes in as deep as he can before channeling this similar sensation to his jaws, as if the air itself was the fuel for this ignition. Late, but better than not, he finally notices the tactic that Raz had procured. If Mallus could smile at this point, he most definitely would have.

In a second accompanying flash of light, Mallus releases the cantrip towards the Almiraj as it projects at a blazing speed. The impact is violent and boisterous, but not so strong as to mute the final squeak escaping from the target. The black smoke clears quickly, and the hare, still completely intact, went from white fur to an amalgamation of pewter with charcoal tips. Mallus stares at the body, and as his maw begins to part into a wide eyed grin, his tail begins to wag, picking up speed with excitement.

“R-Raz! Did you see that? I did it!” He dashes surprisingly quick to the motionless body, kicking leaves and twigs behind him with stealth being the last thing to consider now. He lifts the limp body with both arms as the legs hang past his waist, and with the same proud smile as before, nods reassuringly to his older brother. “It’s dead! I-I did as you taught me, Raz! ‘Not too much energy as it could backfire, but not too little as it might fizzle out,’” he mimics with the voice of what would pass for an elder in his bedridden years.

Finally noticing how childish he was behaving, in a panic, he practically drops the Almiraj as he sets it down once more and clears his throat. "I-I mean, uh... So what's next? Shall we take it back to the village, or cut it open here?" This much was true—as it was a sacred tradition, it was important for the rite to remain a secret to all but those who have gone through it. It was considered similar to sacrilege in breaking such a rule.

“That was quite the supporting spell, too,” he slyly adds, figuring that at the very least he owed his brother a compliment for the help. Then, he lets out a deep sigh of relief. He had actually done it… There was absolutely no way that today could be ruined in any way possible.

MNE
reciprocating: TheImmortalDeity TheImmortalDeity
1646509771041.png
As a breeze passed through the forest clearing, the familiar voice of Yinvha swept through Mne’s mind canal, like an ear canal if it was in your head- so it is, but this one is psychic and not physical… Each word felt like a warm embrace, mentally, though a sort only reserved for departures. In recognition of this sudden farewell, the changeling responded with a bit more haste than usual, subtracting some coherence from their thoughts as a consequence of their emotional charge.

“Father, do you mean to tell me that my ability remains insufficient to accompany you on your travels? I must strongly dissuade myself from believing there to be an error in your judgment, but I will contend that I have been properly initiated by my regular approach with the dangers contained in these woods.”

A rush of adrenaline flushed blood into Mne’s features, which they attempted to obscure by turning away from their hexapoda parent. While these thoughts had circulated their brain, mentally, for several months now, this was the first time that they had been revealed to Yinvha within direct discourse. Mne now tread the unfamiliar terrain of filial ambivalence as a compact car navigates Pennsylvania highways, with life in the hands of the divine. The fantasy world of Pennsylvania, inhabited by sentient automobiles, was a creative project that Mne was developing in their free time.

“I plead that you refrain from neglecting my autonomous capacity, father. In the time since my last encounter with ~Tilda~, I have regained my enteric faculties, and I am confident that I will not again mistake abode with commode.

"Father~! Prithee take my word in earnest!”

Emil Ifficus
The flutter of sable wings whisked past the pair in an instant, a small creature, no larger than a cat, coming to rest on one of the various stalls that resided within the Market of Screams. With its eight crimson eyes, each of which blinked at their own accord, it mockingly cawed at Yazquin, as if it purposefully wished to provoke her. The creature was quadrupedal with two wings sprouting from its back. It resembled that of a tiny griffon, but its Corvus-like structure gave way to a creature viler in nature. From its curved beak, additional remarks came forth.

"SWEATY ARMPIT LADY, SWEATY ARMPIT LADY. COME SEE OUR WARES, COME SEE OUR WARES AT LORETTA'S! CAW CAW!"

Reflexively, Emil had reached for something near his belt, but as his eyes wandered down to the unique kiosk that the animal had taken residence of, his nerves became lax. The bird's talons dug into a sign which read LORETTA'S TRINKETS AND BAUBLES, which was written in a cryptic and difficult to discern font. Behind it was the equivalent of a rented-out apartment that had been renovated into a crystal ball shop, doorless and allowing everyone a clear view into what was inside. Past the swarms of bodies that barricaded him from the building, the dark elf was able to see the odd knick-knacks and trinkets that were strewn around the interior. At the very end, a dark figure stood patiently at the checkout counter, an ominous hand reaching out and beckoning for him to come closer. As Yazquin proceeded to force her way towards the crowlock, it took off, swiftly swooping into the building.

As he had done before, Emil glided his way past other residents, narrowly avoiding being stepped on by a chained ogre and the hobgoblin master that rode on its shoulder. Soon, when making his way past the chattering lamias, making sure to dodge their stray tails, and the tongue of someone's froghoul pet that wanted a taste of his shoes, he found himself behind Yazquin. Just as she went to step inside Loretta's store, he planted his hand on her shoulder, leaning in close enough for her to hear him whisper into her ear.

"Calm down."

Brushing past her, he took hold of her once more, this time locking his hand with hers. "Don't run off . . . it's bothersome." He then led her inside.

The place was cluttered in items, each of which ranged from simple origami cranes to souls that screamed as they perpetually existed in an agonizingly endless state of torment within the confines of magically imbued jars. Rows and rows of commodities were out for display, and yet Emil was not taken in by any of them, heading straight for the caretaker of the store, Loretta herself. The figure was covered head-to-toe in a large grey garment that concealed any form of her other than her hands. From where they stood, decrepit fingers stroked the head of the crowlock that now rested on her shoulder, nuzzling itself into her robed neck affectionately. It dropped the Ifficus' wish list into the palm of her hand, and as she raised it to where her face was meant to be, the woman let out an odd cackle.

"My, my," she growled, her voice gravelly and unkempt, "it is quite the pleasure to meet the esteemed assassin, Emil Ifficus, and his exceptionally talented younger sister, Yazquin Ifficus. I welcome you both to my humble store." She gave a small curtsey, but due to the cloak that draped over her body, baggy enough to hide the outline of her features, it appeared as more of an up and down bob of her head. The hood of her attire, being too big for her, hung over her face, making it impossible to see what was underneath. Despite this, Loretta continued to act as if nothing was out of the ordinary.

"From what Crawley has told me, the two of you are looking for quite the assortment of goods," she cooed, the crowlock fidgeting in response to its name. "Of course, from what I can tell, I have everything on your list in stock . . . and much more, if you are interested." In a grand gesture, the blanketed form of her arm made a wave to the rest of the store behind them. "So then, how may I be of service?"

. D O V E . D O V E

1646545525494.png

Aquaerline "Aerline" Ceto

Will do.” he had replied to Varenza.

Aerline threw his nightly clothes and undergarments to the side and descended into the tub. The water was warm, crispy, and fresh. The room was sweet, freshened by a tinge of lavender. Aerline twirled in the water, dunking his head under then up again like a duck. Almost through a process similar to osmosis, Aerline absorbed its texture as it massaged his skin cells, comparable to an hour from the most skilled masseuse goblin in land. That was the magic of, well, Varenza’s magic. Even the water seemed ethereal and powerful, much like the woman he had become attached to.

Till this day, he wasn’t sure what led to Varenza’s decision to begin their relationship. To take him from the messy leftovers of a man and bring him here. But in the time since, he’s learned to accept and even find some comfort in her mystery. Above all, he was too showered with gifts to complain. Her elegance refused to let him sit idly. Some days that process was rigorous. Today, it was a new outfit fitted to measurements she always kept on hand. That, he was sure, was magic.

Though he wasn’t actually sure to what extent anything was magically enhanced in general, let alone her or even this “room.” He didn’t understand a lick of it, and barely felt it in himself. So he refused Varenza’s offers to be taught. But maybe he had it all wrong. Perhaps, magic was neat after all. Like as she left. She didn’t have to yell, no, her voice came gently into his mind. It wasn’t the first time they had communicated like that. He knew he could have replied. but the words were too timid to come to him.

He was embarrassed at the thought of deep admiration. Had he not learned his lesson? Good things don’t last, they never do. There was no point getting comfortable in it, with it, with her. There was only biding time to the next disappointment, to the next incident, to the next moving on. But what was he supposed to do in that time? Aerline wasn’t sure, it was all still too new.

He intended to train on this day, eventually. But he knew he’d be hungry by the end of the walk, which was a trip to the market. Plus it wouldn’t hurt to see what else was around. Gifts lurked in all places after all… He yelled in exasperation, splashing water about before submerging completely. Bubbles floated to the top.

Few minutes later, he dried, dressed, and headed through the door. From the top of the imposing tower to out the front door, it only took one step. He was far too underclass to be allowed entrance into the greater castle itself, but it didn’t bother him.

Looking up at the castle, he had caught sight of the vessel, Ocean’s sigh.

General Viktoria. Though Aerline knew she’d likely be caught up in the same meeting that whisked away Varenza, he didn’t want to stick around and find out any alternative. It wasn’t that he was barred from speaking to the general, it was more he and Varenza had come to nonverbal agreement that he’d simply never interact with the captain. What would happen to him if he did, he didn’t want to know. Just the thought caused a wave of goosebumps and a shiver. The fire lady’s ire was not to be provoked. It was then he remembered she had said something about Allie. What had she meant by that?

Cooly, he began his lengthy trek.

Bob

Timeskip a little bit backwards.

Beyond the door, the dapper dullahan fancied they had faintly heard their father calling out for a Viennensis, but the other’s book was always hidden somewhere in his robes—the man never went without it. Tilting their headless neck and pausing for a moment with a dramatic hand on their nonexistent chin, they decided it must have been their faulty memory. Sometimes, the archlich’s amnesiac adoptee debated the idea Ghoux'rux might have been going just the slightest bit senile, with all that muttering to himself and discussion of rebellious adolescent undead. (Bob was not in their rebellious phase. They were not.) Though if the archlich truly ended up with total loss of mental facilities, Bob had come up with multiple ingenious methods to care for them both. And if those genius stratagems were not enough, they were even willing to sell the commercial copyrights to their plays when their father’s dismissal as leader of the Defiled Church inevitably came. They ignored the twinge in their unbeating heart at the notion of their father losing memories of their time together, brushing it away like dust on a dressing room counter and filling their mind with fantasies of predestined greatness in its place.

Soon enough, they had forgotten their prior musings and were back to bouncing along the bath to the decorated structure that held Bucephalus Margarita IV. It seemed that having an appalling ability to recollect events was not a terrible flaw on every occasion.

↞ ♞ ↠

“Depart we shall!
Let us keep up our morale.”

Bob beamed at Bucephalus’ overeager enthusiasm—simply imagining their comedies causing the audience such hysterics that they released their digestive organs from their bodies made their disheartened mood turn buoyant. Gut-spilling was a feat nobody had yet achieved in the history of written comedies, which only showcased the difficulty in generating the reaction, but never let it be said that Bob shied away from a challenge. One day, when their works were performed on the stage, they would make it a point to produce a script for liberating one’s innards. Their high spirits resulted in them humming a little tune as they daydreamed about faraway successes, jumping and throwing themselves over their beloved horse’s back.

“Onwards to the place where dreams are brought to life.
“In their hallowed halls today, I will allow no strife!”

Interactions

Last edited:
Raz of the Raulthraxx Tribe
Its death was quick and painless. Raz, having an experienced eye that has seen its fair share of hunts, knew in an instant that the Almiraj had taken its last breath after it shot backward from the force of Mallus' cantrip. While the younger brother was quick to go and fetch his newly made quarry, abandoning any form of awareness, the older brother hung back, scanning the area before approaching the remains. As Mallus went to show Raz his accomplishment, practically parading the corpse as if it were a puppet, Raz went to grab it after the other kobold had set it down. Eyeing it closely, he brought the creature close to his jaws.

"Hmm, enough of an impact to immediately put the creature out of its misery, and yet still have enough control to let it retain its original form as to not burn it to ash." He flipped the Almiraj a little, now inspecting its head. "Not only this but the valuable accessories, such as the horn which can hold a fair price in a trade, is undamaged. Let's not forget, however, the model of your casting. While it hadn't been perfectly timed to match my go . . . if I were to compare it to my first hunt . . ." There was a long pause as Raz went to stare intensely at Mallus, locking his eyes with theirs. Then, the equivalent of his lips had turned into a shit-eating grin, ". . . I'd say that you passed with flying colors! Kakaka!"

Speeding over to Mallus, enough to cause the Almiraj to bounce around in his tiny claws, the elder brother shoved it into Mallus' hands before wrapping an arm affectionately around their neck. With his now free hand, he gave them a noogie. "Scared you for a minute there, didn't I?" Raz jested, "probably thought I sounded like Riz!" The kobold then let go of Mallus, holding back his laughter when they tried to act calm and composed, knowing full well that their sibling was likely doing cartwheels in their head out of joy.

"Sadly, we don't have time for that," Raz said, his nail clacking on his scaled wrist, signifying the time. "Chieftain Mavarice told me that once we were done here, we were meant to return back as soon as possible. Said he had something important to talk about." They nodded, looking deep within themselves to make sure that what they had said was correct. "Not to worry, though! I have exactly what we need to get back swift and secure. Can't go letting my little brother not show off his first kill now, can I?"

Extending one hand to Mallus and subsequently reciting an incantation, a sort of magical gateway began to manifest in front of the two, the foliage around them leaning towards the portal as it gently tried to suck in all of its surroundings. Mallus, who had seen Raz create such a rift before, knew it as the spell Dimensional Door. It was one they used when they were on a time crunch getting back to the tribe, or if dinner was ready and Raz was too lazy to walk downstairs to grab a bite to eat.

Firmly grasping Mallus' hand, Raz began to pull him. "Be careful and be sure to not let go of me, okay, Mal?" Then, in an instant, the two vanished.

In a quick burst, the two reappeared in the center of their tribe. Around them was a cozy village that had naturally integrated its structures to intertwine with the vegetation around it. Small huts, hanging within the trunks of the colossal trees, had their exteriors covered in moss and vines, as well as wooden doors with small lantern fixtures affixed above them. The crossways were connected with large roots that shot from the ground and twisted amongst each other, pseudo steps chiseled into the bark to allow easier traversing. The children, in their youth, were playing with sticks as they reenacted tales of their great warrior ancestors while the older generation watched them from their porches, silently reminiscing of their past as they continued to cheer the youngsters on from the sidelines.

Raz began to lead Mallus through their hometown, a few of the neighbors waving at them as they passed. Raz, in a lax pace, began to speak up. "Since Dad and Zagris are out on the frontlines, Chieftain Mavarice is the only one that can appraise your actions today. I'm meant to only tell him what I saw. No worries, though. I can already guarantee that you'll pass. I'll put my name as a sorcerer on it!"

As he made that promise, the two stopped before a hut much larger than the others. Not only did it possess double doors with hieroglyphs of a story passed on within the tribe engraved into it, but unlike the many other homes, it possessed windows. As Raz lifted the knocker over the door, he gave it a good wallop, before a throaty call was made from behind.

"Is that you, Young Raz? Young Mallus? Come in."

Pushing open the door, Raz and Mallus stepped inside. The room was rather barren, with little furniture to be seen other than a simple bed without a frame. The place was lit with tiny will-o'-the-wisps, which bounced and weaved erratically. In the center of the room, a hulking form rested. Possessing large red wings and a similarly proportioned reptilian body, the Chieftain, Mavarice, looked similar to a dragon seen in fairy tales, if not a bit smaller. He had long, thick horns protruding from his head, as well as jagged spikes that trailed down his spine. His claws, sharp and massive in size, unintentionally dug into the wooden floor below him, and as the Chieftain breathed, small flames sparked from his nostrils. As his bulky neck turned to face the two newcomers, a blank expression rested on their features.

"Step closer, Young Mallus. I assume that you and your brother have just returned from your hunt. Please, allow me to see what trophies you bring back in such high spirits." When he spoke, smog gently trailed from his tongue, sweeping the insides of the room in a thick haze.

"Go on, go on," Raz pressured, giving them a gentle shove from behind. "Show the Chief what you got!"
Arvios Arvios

Yinvha, Guardian of the Forbidden Woods
As the ghastly being took heed of Mne's plea for tolerance, a sound, similar to a horse's neigh, came from their beak, stating Yinvha's doubts. "Your maturity is yet to be seen, young one." In spite of his words, the monstrosity found it difficult to tell Mne no. In an attempt to salvage their waning emotions, what with Mne's puppy dog eyes and trembling lip, they puffed up the feathers on their neck before trotting forward. "If it is as you say, then you will stay close by my side. Do not wander. We will investigate this disturbance together. Prove to me that my wariness is wasted."

The forest gently shook from the weight of each bulky step Yinvha took with his six legs. The vegetation, as he got closer to it, had started to shuffle out of his way, paving a clear path for him to tread. Mne had seen it many times before, the jurisdiction over plants and animals that Yinvha possessed. It was no wonder he acted as one of the four keepers of the Forbidden Woods, his presence enough to make the terrifying terrain recoil in response. It was akin to a king walking among his subjects, and Mne was, by proxy, their prince.

Their relocation was rather short. First, they crossed a nearby stream, soaked in red. Yinvha had explained to Mne that it was caused by the countless bodies that have been left to decay in their land, and it was due to this that a water dryad by the name of Rhodeia had become corrupt, leaving to serve in the Nuvok Army out of vengeance, and allowing for their pollution to further effect the Forbidden Woods in her absence. Then, they made their way past Gob the Hill Giant's cave, where the sound of jovial laughter echoed from within. Eventually, they happened upon another clearing, much like the one they had awoken from earlier, but this one had a single, large boulder settled in the middle.

On top of the boulder, stood upright, was a man decorated in a cloak dyed a deep crimson hue and a gold trim along its edges. They had recently finished off a spell they had been casting once Yinvha and Mne had approached, regarding them silently until Yinvha stopped directly in front of them, peering down in scrutiny. The man wore padded leather from his shirt down to their boots. Their face, like many of the Red Cloaks in the Nuvok Army, was masked in an illusion that cast constant darkness over their visage. Within the illusion, however, was a single glowing red eye, along with a smile of jagged teeth. Once the silence had gone a few seconds too long, the mysterious man introduced himself to the two.

"Greetings," they grunted, the gruff voice of a male coming from behind the illusion. "My name is Zeddicus, Oni of the Red Cloaks. In the name of the Eternal Eminence, I was ordered to inform Yinvha, Guardian of the Forbidden Woods, of the Nuvok Army's arrival into his domain, and why." The solitary red eye that radiated against the blackened background of his face continued to periodically steal a glance at Mne before returning back to Yinvha. They were wary of Mne's presence.

"If you only had a message, then why antagonize the forest with your wicked magic, Zeddicus?" Yinvha challenged, the bristles on their back beginning to raise.

"I was in a hurry and knew that if I caused some mayhem, the guardian would show themselves to me eventually," Zeddicus replied rather nonchalantly.

"Out with it, then. My patience grows thin and so does my lenience towards your presence."

"An order, agreed upon between the Eternal Eminence and the Lord of the Forbidden Woods, has been reached. The bells of war are to be rung in response to a dire situation on the frontlines, and your citizens are to take up arms to protect what is rightfully theirs." The Red Cloak coolly stood their ground when faced with the abomination, not a shred of hesitance or fear in their words.

Yinvha's tail slowly swayed behind him, risking toppling trees from its stocky build. "And, pray tell, how that concerns me? That agreement has long been decided between our two esteemed rulers."

"Because," Zeddicus said, lifting a finger towards Mne, "your kid is to be drafted along with them."
LokiPokie LokiPokie

Mallus of the Raulthraxx Tribe

cg8tsT4.jpg

With TheImmortalDeity TheImmortalDeity

As Raz inspected the toasty body in hand, his method of audible examination put Mallus on edge once more. It wasn’t until he saw the grin—the familiar crooked smile that would usually accompany a corroborated twin prank of some kind—that the younger sibling took respite. Mallus’ brows furrowed at his brother’s direction. “I oughta aim the next cantrip at your face” is what he wanted to say, but instantly perished the thought. Both Raz and Riz, although they had very differing methods, helped him learn all he could so that he could grow as a warrior. Even if it was a playful remark, it might end up with more emotion than intended.

Scratching his nape as if to try and appeal towards a more worry-free expression, his jaws slightly parted, holding back his wrathful response. With the emotional rollercoaster draining Mallus, the young kobold didn’t contest the bully-like hold on him that consequently came with the news of his passing, instead putting all of his energy into avoiding a fall from the suddenness of the move. “Y-Yeah, you almost tricked me,” is all he could sheepishly muster as a knuckle grinded against his head.

After a quick release and hearing about the urgency, Mallus blinks rapidly with a subtle shake of the head as if to flush the surprise from his eyes. “Chieftain Mavarice really said that?” he asked, though more rhetorical than directly with a hue of wonder. Perhaps it had to do with the freshness of the hunt since the appraisal could not be done here, unless it was something else? He knew better than to probe, as much as he wanted to, and instead decided to save it for when they arrived back.

Mallus happily nods at Raz’s words of support with a cheeky smile, and before he knew it, is yanked by the arm like a kite on a windless day. Having now passed through the Dimensional Door, he opens his eyes and sees the familiar trees and walkways that he would see on a day by day basis, and hears the sounds of the tribe at play. As he followed close behind his brother, he couldn’t help but hold the Almiraj a bit higher than what he normally would have, as if to show off the milestone that he had just achieved.

“Right,” he answered plainly as he was reminded of his eldest brother. The rest of the way he was silent as if absentminded, but was actually reflecting on what Zagris might make of him now. He knew his dad would be proud, and would probably have loved to have been in Raz’s place if it wasn’t for the war effort. But his brother, who was more critical and… Mallus was a bit disheartened about his relationship with him, and as sour as he was, the young kobold still hoped his brother was doing well.

Before he goes much deeper in thought, Mallus hears the loud knocking sound as he sees himself standing in front of a large door, followed by a deep familiar voice beckoning the two inside. The atmosphere was as welcoming as ever, and the floating wisps would always remind the young kobold of his childhood, as he would wrestle with the wall of crimson scales, and hike over the scarlett arms that acted as pillars, all to jump off the massive horns curling towards Mavarice’s back. At the first sight of the massive figure, Mallus wanted to rush and throw himself at his body like when he was younger, but again, he knew that now might not have been the place for that. Even if the Chief was there for him and the other hatchlings while their fathers were absent, now would not be the right time or place to do such frivolities, especially in a ceremony that signified growth.

“Yes, C-Chieftain Mavarice,” Mallus begins with a stagger from Raz’s push, almost tripping over the Almiraj.

“The hunt went well,” he continues, now fully recovered, “and here is what I bring back as my first offering. As per Raz’s recommendation, I used the Firebolt cantrip to take it down in one clean hit.” At this point, he raised the still warm body higher for the Chief to properly inspect, and easily within his reach if he wished to grasp it. The kobold’s words were much more serious than what he was used to, and as he didn’t know what else to add, he simply waited to see how Mavarice would react to his gesture.

YAZQUIN IFFICUS

The Crowlock's mockeries reverberated within Yazquin's mind as her grey skin flushed a darker shade out of embarrassment. The Death Knight taught her the importance of a sound mind and a fighting spirit. Still, it was challenging to maintain the former when a bird was falsely broadcasting her underarm's odor to sweet Emil and a gazillion of others. She could feel the eyes of many, most likely looking at her with sheer disgust. The worsening humiliation fueled the boiling anger within the pit of her stomach. It was enough to deafen and blind her from the frivolous avian's advertisements and the abstruse placard where it perched.

"You take that back! My underarms are as fresh as the roses in our garden! Roses, I say!" She desperately defended herself as she plodded through the crowd like a fish swimming upstream -albeit the fish would have a highly shattered dignity. "W-Well, not as prickly but- oh, you slanderous poultry! You'll be swimming in boiled water tonight! Vengeance will be mine!" With adrenaline pumping through her system, Yazquin used a small-size denizen as a stepping stone and climbed over a passing ogre, earning a few profane comments from the hobgoblin over its shoulder. However, his complaints passed deaf ears as the unarmored paladin jumped off into the moving sea of people.

The Crowlock led the fuming Yazquin to an unorthodox kiosk a few struggles and threats later. The thief soared past shelves of intriguing curiosities, a few pairs of eyes in a jar following its swift movement until it landed on a mysterious figure's shoulder. Yazquin stopped dead on her track, pink orbs scrutinizing the obscured from behind the counter, welcoming her. Aside from the Bogmother, she knew only one local dressed like the slightest light exposure would disintegrate them.

The words formed in her throat instantaneously died when she felt a hand against her shoulder. Rosy eyes dilated as they found themselves shortly parallel from golden ones. "O-Oh... sorry, Emil." Yazquin bashfully apologized, feeling her ruddiness worsen as he laced his hand with hers. She couldn't believe she showed such rash and immature behavior to Emil, an adulated warrior! He even called her bothersome! What crumbs of respect he had for her probably faded with the wind the moment she started comparing her armpit with roses. Or, perhaps way before since she did threaten a talking bird for calling her a dumbass. Why did the damn bird pick her out of the thick crowd!? Why did the world hate her so!

Yazquin hid all of these rampaging thoughts behind a smile that looked too giddy for the crisis. She subtly glanced at their joined hands and recalled the gift that her father had kindly given her. It was enough to calm the fading storm within her completely. Yazquin regarded Loretta and her pet with a cheerful smile and waved her free hand with a newfound perspective. "Crawley? Madam Loretta, I didn't know you have a Crowlock. A very crafty one, might I add, albeit a little too judgemental."

Although, it has already been a while since the last time she and her mother dropped by the shop. Gwynn was fond of bringing home souvenirs from Loretta's whenever she got the chance. If memory served her right, she got her favorite toy from this place. A magical whistle that allowed her to know whether a horse was in her vicinity. It was a gift from her mother, one that she treasured very much and included in a few childhood adventures (which may or may not have included stealing horses). It was such a shame that La'Bella dropped a meteor into the last Ifficus mansion, and most of her belongings turned into casualties. The whistle was one of them, and while it still worked and was still in her possession, it would also cough out small chunks of charcoals when blown. So now it was more like a magical pipe. ANYWAY, the point was that Crawley might still have been in an egg the last time she visited.

A relieved smile crossed her features once mistress of the market revealed that she possessed the content of the lists. Yazquin was afraid that she and Emil would need to spend the entire morning traversing the overpopulated bazaar while looking for their mom's wishlist. She still wanted them to drop by a food stall and get a snack before going home, especially because her mother would be cooking tonight. "Perfect! We want to buy everything on that list, including the flask of giant strength." Yazquin said as she looked at the arrays of bottles and potions at a nearby shelf. The glasses were so reflective that she could see herself. She struck herself as a dignified lady with pewter-colored skin and long locks of ashes, a pair of salmon-colored orbs boring through her soul. She then tucked a strand of stray hair behind her pointed ears and subtly wet her lips. It was only after did she realize that a small specimen was staring at her from the inside of the glass. She swore the thing was looking at her disapprovingly.

"Say, Madam, do you have anything that could greatly interest a lady such as myself?"

The Call to Arms
The day had progressed like any other. The residents of Lapas Ghûl interacted the same as always. The war effort, while noticeable in their everyday life, such as the march of soldiers along the streets and the occasional movement of armaments by wagon, was by no means a focal point. This was, as a majority also agreed, an average chaotic day within the territory deemed as No Man's Land. And yet, beyond this tranquility, no matter how vile or wicked it appeared to its outsiders, had little awareness for what was to come. Thus, while the customary interactions commenced, a slight rumble from deep below had started to rise towards the surface.

It was a gentle shake at first, hardly noticeable. A pebble may have been displaced or someone might have unintentionally lost their footing, but otherwise, it was unremarkable. Then, the rumble turned into violent shaking. Poorly stacked boxes began to fall, and those that had been milling around started to notice small fractures in the groundwork below them. The sky, where it typically projected the illusion of a starry night, had now coalesced with black clouds, streaks of purple lightning jutting between them. To those that were near Nuvok Castle, various sigils of archaic magic began to manifest all along its walls, and while unbeknownst to all except those that were magically inclined, a powerful incantation had been cast at the top of the nefarious castle. In a single ear-shattering boom, a large bolt of electricity crashed from the skies directly behind the Eternal Eminence's domain, an eerie period of silence taking hold.

Sprouting from the bowels of whatever forsaken place the dark magic had called it from, a colossal blue arm burst forth from the terrain. Starting from the hand, which had been clenched, it slowly rose, displacing dust and dirt everywhere. The ground had now started to split, the equivalent of an earthquake taking place all around Lapas Ghûl. Buildings risked collapsing and personal belongings scattered on the floor. Further, it continued to stretch until it had reached a point where the start of the phenomenon's shoulderblade was to be seen at its base. Nuvok Castle, while a looming structure that surpassed the size of all other buildings that were contained within the city's limits, was only able to reach the elbow of this grandiose appendage at its very peak.

The coughing and spluttering of those nearest to the newly formed fleshy pillar had felt their symptoms alleviate quickly, a magical influence sweeping throughout the rows of residencies and whisking the debris up and away towards the sky. As if in conjunction, the once clumped clouds began to merge with the detritus, taking on many shapes and piecing themselves together akin to a puzzle. The outlines, once whispy and varying, now became concrete and linear. The black clouds took on different hues of colors, transforming before the eyes of all that cared to look. Soon, in a display of otherwordly magnificence, the countenance of Duchess Varenza had taken up a majority of the sky, her elegance soothing the frenzy that had been previously caused.

From her striking white hair all the way to her igneous hands, the image was a perfect replica. Her face, while lightly obscured by the cloth around her eyes, had a calm presence attached. In light of all that had happened, she was unperturbed. In fact, to the few that were of keen insight or familiar with her, a sense of excitement restrained itself from bubbling to the surface. This was intentional. It was a good thing.

"Warriors of the Nuvok Army," she addressed, her words roaring through the air like thunder, resonating deep within the hearts of all that heard it. "Today marks a day of great importance. I hereby announce to you that all of our worries, our grief, and our struggles have not been in vain. The day that our ancestors, the dawn of our kin, have been hoping for since The Shattering has now been realized. Today, of all days, marks the beginning of Azhraiem; the return of our fairest mother, Vienna."

All at once, a wave of whispers came from the entirety of the capital. Voices of excitement and anxiety reverberated all around, some in joy and some in fear of the unknown. In a wave, the spectral image of Varenza silenced the public. She had more to say, and it was in their best interest to listen. Once the buzz diminished, the genasi woman continued her speech.

"Do not be fooled. The preparations for the return of our Goddess are still incomplete. Little has changed in terms of our position in the war against the light dwellers, and while we flourish in the knowledge of Our Lady's return, their pitiful pantheon continues to cling to unfounded hope. Saint Ivan, the man they claim to be their True Hero, has gained his fourth divine boon from Raulthraxx the Ascended. It is now, more than ever, that our army requires your assistance. We cannot risk jeopardizing the chance that Vienna has bestowed upon us. And so, I bring forth the word of the Eternal Eminence themselves:

Fight. Fight for your freedom. Fight for your beliefs. Fight for your right to live. May our united front be the cornerstone for Vienna's return. May our resolve strengthen us for which is to come. May our lives be used to pave the way for true liberty in Valenzia. And so, with the power invested in me, I decree. Fight."

Silence. Not a peep was made as Varenza's words hung in the stifling air. Then, in a cacophony of cries, a bellowing outcry resounded from the populace. Their cheers for war carried for miles, sending chills to all that heard it. An unsaid feeling of courage exuded from every being, and any that agreed to the call felt an urge to carry out their patriotic duty with undeterred resolve. This was not simply a call for war. It was a demand for change.

"The Messengers," Varenza spoke, her voice still clearly heard over the rise of military spirit, "will notify you of further instruction. May victory be attained in the name of the Nuvok Army. In the name of Vienna." With that, the clouds dispersed, the sparkling sky returning to its previous beauty.

Off in the distance, the blue hands, once clenched, now began to open, revealing palms that reached out for the heavens. From its nails, a thick black ichor began to drip down its sides. The sludge that drizzled began to bubble, and what was originally viscous liquid now shaped itself into balls of malformed sludge. The Messengers. Creatures that writhed and cried out in agony, humanoid faces fighting to free themselves within the cage of their mucky existence. Each head possessed gaping mouths that spat and chattered, and as they began to soar through the skies, blanketing the surrounding area with their unnerving presence, these lifeforms found their way to the enlisted. Whether it be through walls or floors, they traversed through all forms of barriers, all so that they could confer the message of conscription.

Ambiloquous Ambiloquous Lo Mayn Lo Mayn LokiPokie LokiPokie Arvios Arvios AI10100 AI10100 Colorless Spectrum Colorless Spectrum . D O V E . D O V E

La'Bella
While it was true that Aegrius likely had no ill intentions, La'Bella still held her reservations towards his poor treatment of her friend. Yet all she did was hold her tongue, evident by the silent furrow of her brow that responded to Allie's joke. She didn't let her displeasure ruin the flow of the conversation, though. Instead, she focused on the small comment Allie had made after, a light smile returning to the edges of her lips. "You should watch what you say, Allie. Someone might get the wrong idea when you say things like that," she kidded, referring to how the human had likened her to a gift. "Maybe I should tie myself up in a bow and let you unwrap me when I come back," she laughed, only to have her cheeks flush after realizing what she had said. "Oh, uh, I mean-

"Eep!"

The girl had practically jumped out of her skin once Naivier had made herself known from behind. La'Bella was clearly flustered at the idea of her older half-sister hearing the comment she had made. In order to avoid another quip at her expense from them, La'Bella quickly wrapped her arms around Naivier, her cloak draping over their shoulder and their noses practically touching from the close proximity. "Nainai, I didn't see you there!" she said, giving the cleric a big hug. "Did you just get out of the library? I thought you had a sermon to attend?" There was a mild quiver to her tone, evident of someone trying to cover up a mistake with basic conversation.

As she went to give Naivier their space, the sorceress then froze. It wasn't obvious before, but the incessant rumble from below had now become evident. "Do you guys hear that? Are they doing construction around here or something?" she asked the two, only to have the events of the call to arms unfold directly after. When the Hand of Vienna rocketed from below, the quakes it created from its sheer mass had gone as far as to reach the lower residencies where the Institute of Madness resided. La'Bella watched as a crack began to form directly under Naivier's feet, and before she was able to push her sister away, the ground had caved under them.

Reflexively, La'Bella had caught Naivier's hand. However, due to her frail frame, she was unable to keep herself grounded, falling down with them. In a span of seconds, the sorceress had reached into her bag and took out a small cobweb, only to recite an incantation before a mesh of magically weaved webbing shot out and stuck to the edges of the small fissure. They had bounced a few times upon impact, but the two were now safely pressed against La'Bella's impromptu spellwork, the adhesive nature of the net allowing them safe purchase. La'Bella went to help Naivier to the surface, and by her mastery over sorcery, was capable of having the webs not hold the duo down with its sticky properties. Although, once again, strength was not her strong suit, and only after having the assistance of Allie, who had fallen on her rump earlier, the three of them were able to once again find solid ground.

On her hands and knees panting, La'Bella felt her heart throbbing in her chest. This was a bad start to the day. To make matters worse, the girl had watched as Duchess Varenza gave her bone-chilling speech. She knew of the magic that had been used, Allie having told her about some of the projects Master had let her in on. The spell was called Ankarceda's March of Death; a high-tier warcry that was made to address the Nuvok Army as a whole, even if cast miles and miles away from the mage's location. While others cheered at the sound of war, only a pit of looming despair nestled itself within the dark elf's chest. Then, the Messengers appeared.

In droves they made their ways to individuals, speaking in disorganized tones. Soon enough, one had glided its way to her, its multiple eyes shifting each and every way until resting on both Allie and Naivier simultaneously. Two heads spoke at once as if to address either woman independently, and while the words should have overlapped the other, the sounds it made seared into their minds, allowing for their incoherent muttering to make sense. La'Bella recognized the effect to be akin to the Comprehend Languages spell.

"Allie Gival, you have been drafted into servitude under the Nuvok Army. Go to the Amphitheater of Anguish for further instruction."

"Naivier Ifficus, you have been drafted into servitude under the Nuvok Army. Go to the Amphitheater of Anguish for further instruction."

The multi-headed monstrosity, after giving its message, had then floated away as quickly as it had arrived, moving to a hobgoblin that had recently pulled himself up from falling into a cart of potatoes. The disheveled La'Bella, still on the ground and recovering from the recent near-death experience, picked herself up in a slow and shaky motion. In a long-winded exhale, she shook off her nerves before looking between Allie and Naivier. When the two looked back at her, there were tears forming at the corner of her eyes. She pulled up her garb and wiped them away, but not before she had let out a small, timid sniffle.

"They promised me . . . " she said to herself, her voice threatening to crack. "They told me this wouldn't happen . . . " La'Bella then took in a deep, shaky breath. "Y-you two should go to the Amphitheater. It's not wise to keep your superiors waiting," she remarked with a sense of half-heartedness. "I'm, um, gonna go back home. Make sure that mom and dad are okay." She turned away from them, went to say something over her shoulder, then stopped herself. In a rush, the girl ran off in the direction of the upper residencies, her green cloak bounding behind her.

AI10100 AI10100 Colorless Spectrum Colorless Spectrum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back