• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Ust Natha: City of Curtains [Underdark Action & Intrigue]

Bone2pick

Minority of One
Vx6mddp.jpg

As darkness falls, the dark elves rise
to serve their Spider Queen.
The world below is the Underdark —
a blinding darkness to behold.

If you dare upon the drow elves' lair,
their dark hearts and swords will fly.
Like spiders in their webs they wait,
for you, alas, are simply bait.

There is a world beneath the world humans know—a vast, lawless land under The Realms That See The Sun. It is a perilous wilderland of dark caverns, crevices, and labyrinthine passages: The Realm Below, the vast and mysterious Underdark. No surface adventurer has seen all its depths and corners. Beasts that no surface-dweller yet knows of lurk in its shadowy depths—and surviving explorers say the known dangers are bad enough.

To the unwary (or desperate) traveler in the Underdark, a city may seem a refuge from the creeping doom in the darkness. It is, after all, bustling with life — with food, tools, and perhaps aid. Or, perhaps not.

Ust Natha is a place of evil within an infinite night. A city of carved and spired stone castles, their smooth, unjointed, unbroken expanses are lit with the soft, tinted flows of permanent faerie fires. There live the dark elves, drow as they name themselves, who plot against each other to praise Lolth, the Spider Queen.

Do you dare enter their realm?

Disclaimer: the above poem and text were taken from the Menzoberranzan Boxed Set.

• This roleplay will begin with player-characters being recent recruits of the Smiles & Tears, the lowest-ranking mercenary company in the drow city of Ust Natha. Should you choose to play a dark elf (which is recommended), you will be houseless, which means you will not be a bona fide citizen of the City of Curtains. Lucky for you, epic Underdark stories are not limited to the drow citizenry. ^_^

This roleplay will have lots of sword & sorcery action, sinister schemes, wicked intrigue, as well as a thoroughly-detailed featured city. The primary story direction will be my responsibility, but players will be given narrative space to pursue personal story arcs, as well as any subplots that may arise.

In case it needs to be said: this roleplay will not support morally "good" characters. Drow elves are a capricious and cruel species, and truelly virtuous folk wouldn't be able to stomach their culture for any extended length of time.

Roleplay Trailer

Last edited:
What effective character level would our characters have and will this be using DnD mechanics or just be storytelling?
This will be strictly freeform storytelling. For those who are familiar enough with D&D levels to use them as a reference: level 2 for magic users, and levels 3 or 4 for non-magical classes — as magical abilities tends to greatly outperform non-magical abilities in narratives.

That said, familiarity with D&D, while desirable, isn't required.

It's not that important, as this roleplay won't use any mechanics. The takeaway is that characters will begin with their powers, abilities, and equipment well below a noble House's champions.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to play an immature Avolakia? He wouldn't have access to the higher level Avolakia abilities other than creating a Zombie once a day because of his youth. Avolakia
He would be impersonating a Drow Sorcerer he'd abducted and eaten in an attempt to find ways to eventually weaken the Drow enough for his brethren to invade with an Undead invasion force.

Vx6mddp.jpg

As darkness falls, the dark elves rise
to serve their Spider Queen.
The world below is the Underdark —
a blinding darkness to behold.

If you dare upon the drow elves' lair,
their dark hearts and swords will fly.
Like spiders in their webs they wait,
for you, alas, are simply bait.

There is a world beneath the world humans know—a vast, lawless land under The Realms That See The Sun. It is a perilous wilderland of dark caverns, crevices, and labyrinthine passages: The Realm Below, the vast and mysterious Underdark. No surface adventurer has seen all its depths and corners. Beasts that no surface-dweller yet knows of lurk in its shadowy depths—and surviving explorers say the known dangers are bad enough.

To the unwary (or desperate) traveler in the Underdark, a city may seem a refuge from the creeping doom in the darkness. It is, after all, bustling with life — with food, tools, and perhaps aid. Or, perhaps not.

Ust Natha is a place of evil within an infinite night. A city of carved and spired stone castles, their smooth, unjointed, unbroken expanses are lit with the soft, tinted flows of permanent faerie fires. There live the dark elves, drow as they name themselves, who plot against each other to praise Lolth, the Spider Queen.

Do you dare enter their realm?

Disclaimer: the above poem and text were taken from the Menzoberranzan Boxed Set.

• This roleplay will begin with player-characters being recent recruits of the Smiles & Tears, the lowest-ranking mercenary company in the drow city of Ust Natha. Should you choose to play a dark elf (which is recommended), you will be houseless, which means you will not be a bona fide citizen of the City of Curtains. Lucky for you, epic Underdark stories are not limited to the drow citizenry. ^_^

This roleplay will have lots of sword & sorcery action, sinister schemes, wicked intrigue, as well as a thoroughly-detailed featured city. The primary story direction will be my responsibility, but players will be given narrative space to pursue personal story arcs, as well as any subplots that may arise.

In case it needs to be said: this roleplay will not support morally "good" characters. Drow elves are a capricious and cruel species, and truelly virtuous folk wouldn't be able to stomach their culture for any extended length of time.
I've been wanting to do an RP set in the Underdark for ages. So count me interested

Would it be possible to play an immature Avolakia?
No, I'm not familiar enough with them, and that's not the vision I have for this. The drow are fantastical enough. I'm open to some other D&D races (human, dwarf, gnome, half-orc, and tiefling), but in order to work as intended, the player-characters need to be primarily drow.

I'm interested! I've always wanted to do an Underdark campaign. I'll PM you my character concept after I fresh up on the lore.

I'm interested! I've always wanted to do an Underdark campaign. I'll PM you my character concept after I fresh up on the lore.
If you have any questions, or if you'd like some help with your character concept, just let me know in the pm. I'm happy to work with you.

I think that's enough expressed interest to justify creating OOC and Character Signup threads. I should have them up by tonight.

This is interesting. I've never actually followed someone else's lead in a RP, but this could be a lot of fun. What liberties would you allow us to take with regards to magical powers? Do we need to pick D&D classes and abilities specifically? If we can create our abilities to some extent, would you like us to run them by you beforehand?

This is interesting. I've never actually followed someone else's lead in a RP, but this could be a lot of fun. What liberties would you allow us to take with regards to magical powers?
I'm going to do my best to keep magical abilities with their appropriate race and class—for drow that's generally wizard and cleric. Because magic is so powerful in story form, I have to keep a short leash on how much the player-characters have, or else the group balance will be off. If you have an idea for a character concept or an ability you'd like to have, shoot me a PM. Three other players have already done so.

Do we need to pick D&D classes and abilities specifically? If we can create our abilities to some extent, would you like us to run them by you beforehand?
No, you don't have to pick a D&D specific class. You just need an adventuring-type character concept that will play well in a drow city.

This still open?

Or did the spiders get at it?

Gods damn spiders, damn well everywhere, kill one and you get a whipping but don't and you may as well kiss your good boots goodbye cause they ain't leavin em.

Damn spiders.

Orikanyo Orikanyo It's still open. Do come in and look around, and ask any questions that come to mind. But please, let the spiders be...

Lolth is watching. ;)

With far to many eyes, damn spiders.

Seriously, come on in folks! We’ve got action, intrigue, an amazing DM, and a pretty low threshold for actual D&D knowledge. Oh, and spiders. Lots of spiders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back