Experiences Using more than one character at once.

Anymore than 2 is too much , if you ask me. Not because people might not be able to handle any more than that, but because it's ridiculously hard to make a character that add something unique to the group if everyone is running around with like 4 characters.

Last edited:
Anymore than 2 is too much , if you ask me. Not because people might not be able to handle any more than that, but because it's ridiculously hard to make a character that add something unique to the group if everyone is running around with like 4 characters.

That is a good point. Sometimes I'm interested in multifandom crossover group roleplay as a soft exception to my "I Don't Do Groups" but most of the ones on this site allow each player to apply with a lot of characters. From my experience things just get too chaotic and frenetically paced, leaving little room for the type of roleplay and development I'd want out of a multifandom crossover.

In a long term apocalypse roleplay, 1x1, I think the highest I had at one time was ten, all main characters with backstories and personalities. It was a fun challenge. The number fluctuated a lot because of the setting - some would die, some would join the group, some ran off, it was a way for me to test out some characters I'd been working on. It just depends on your preferences.

It really depends, I guess. When it's a fandom roleplay I can typically go up to five, as I already know and love the characters I'm writing as. When it's an entirely new world with new characters, though, I like to put my energy into one or two that I'm proud of.

I almost always play more than two characters, I get bored kinda easy. My max? No clue. I can easily play four characters without losing track on them, currently doing so in a 1x1.

One. Even two tends to get distracting, especially if you try to flesh them out in fine details or have a particularly engaging plot going.

I guess it depends? I've been in 4 differently stylized roleplays at once, and I had 8 or 9 chars between all of them. This isn't counting my NPCs, either. I try to utilize very different personalities for each, or follow a baseline trope for NPCs, so I had quite the menagerie in the end. :D

If we take an abstract random rp, I usually play no more than two fully fleshed characters.
NPCs and side characters are unlimited.

If I want more characters I play more than one rp. Because playing too many within one can get distracting.

It depends. The number I use fluctuates from 1-5, and mostly just depends on my current motivation and the state of my writer's block

Users who are viewing this thread

Back