• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Urban Legend - True Horror, Actual Puzzles [Interest Check thread]

RedLeftHand36

Your Host Tonight
urban legends.gif
IC | OOC | CS | 136.6 FM - The Dead Zone's Witching Hour

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

the hanging tree.jpg

Welcome to Urban Legend! A Horror-Mystery RP revolving around the small but decently well off town of Oak Creek [essentially replacing the real life area where the town of Hammond, Oregon is], just west of Astoria, Oregon, and in the Fort Stevens area. The year is 1992, with the accompanying technology. Of course, its easy for any visitor to see that the neighborhood is far from warm. Be it the noticing of the local law tailing you in the distance for the entire time you've been here, the icy stares from some of the locals, or the simple feeling of unease, particularly enforced by the near constant rain and the occasional thick fog and thunderstorms, the town feels rather off. To some local residents, it has been a long time standing t o distrust outsiders. Others love outsiders to come and spend money at their tourist trap locations, though these efforts are often transparent. Anyone who's been in Hammond long enough knows well of the unpublicized dark history of the area, from gruesome murders under the bridge, to satanic cults in the nearby mines. And the residents with some years under their belt know that things are done to ensure Oak Creek stays a seemingly quiet place.

You, dear player, will have a choice, but the paths laid out are limited by the number of those who can walk them. The more light shed, the fewer are those who share that light. Each path differs primarily in the knowledge of the area. Perhaps you are a passing by or have just moved into the neighborhood, and know quite little of the area in general. For people of this nature, the only limit to number will be if the RP gets simply too crowded. Then, of course, there are the fresher residents, spanning several years at most in their inhabiting of Oak Creek. At most, local legends are only local legends. Long standing residents know better, though. Often times superstitious and/or paranoid, they usually keep to themselves. Officials are almost always long time Oak Creek citizens, though there are certainly exceptions in the lower ranks. Unlike many RPs, the limited types of characters are NOT first come first serve for applicants. Which is why I already have a Discord Server up and running. I just need people in those areas to be reliable in various aspects, primarily writing skills and availability. So the Discord will very much help me sort people out. Obviously, to balance this out, I plan on having pretty broad character creation freedom the newer the residents are. This is a horror RP, and since I'm not confining people as police or detectives or a Scooby Doo gang or anything, you can make evil creepy characters as well. Hell, I'll probably even allow slasher-villain type characters if you make a decent one. However, don't be super edgy about it. The only things in this RP that will stretch the boundaries of reality will not be applicable to characters that aren't plot-centric. I'd explain more on that, but it'd probably ruin the surprises in the story I have planned. So like, keep it Richard Ramirez instead of Jason Voorhees, alright?

You also might be wondering about the 136.6 FM up there, and I have two answers for that. One, in terms of OOC, it will serve sort of as a public lore page but also it keeps track of certain various puzzles I'll put in the RP. There will be a good amount of puzzles in the RP, from just decoding binary or morse code to trying to decipher scrambled messages in dial tones. That said, solving puzzles will NOT be required to play through this RP. They only serve to shed light on certain things. Those who obtain the information gained from solving these puzzles are allowed to share that information, but only in the IC as their characters to other characters. Think of it like an ARG on the side of the RP itself, the two parts sharing each others world-building information. Of course, if I haven't made anything clear enough to fully convince you to join this particularly ambitious RP project, this area will also serve to answer certain questions before you join. I'm putting a lot of work and effort into this, and hopefully it will turn into something spectacular.

If we have history together, I'm looking for some co-GMs, because this will certainly be a hefty task to undertake. Of course, I plan on handling most of the more creative materials, such as coming up with and maintaining puzzles and the actual plot of the story. But since I'll be super busy maintaining that stuff, it'd be nice to have some help in regards to OOC stuff and helping regulate, enforce rule, and all that jazz.

Last edited:
Hey, this sounds really sick ! I'd def be interested, if you don't mind, I'd love to join the server and check things out. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back