Viewpoint Unpopular roleplay opinions?

I'm a novelist. I'm an RPer. I write those things completely differently. So you really cannot judge one the same way you would judge the other. I mean, yes, if a published book had the same type of writing as most RPs I would probably judge it harshly, but that is because it is a written and published novel. But I think people should just let others have their good fun and never ruin it.
Well, to be fair published doesn't necessarily mean good. I'll refer to the classic examples of Twilight and 50 Shades.

Well, to be fair published doesn't necessarily mean good. I'll refer to the classic examples of Twilight and 50 Shades.
Oh I know, I was just saying that published works have a different bar to pass than a casual RP, which is why you can't judge them as one in the same, since they usually follow a different planning/writing process.

Look at picrew.me or meiker.io. They are dollmakers. Picrew is famous for having dollmakers in various styles that have a wide range of skin colors. I know a lot of people are intimidated because picrew is in Japanese, but it's pretty self-explanatory using the dollmakers. You just click buttons and pick the options you like best. I usually link the dollmaker on the CS so it's credited but if you translate the text not everyone really requires that. I just do it cuz it's good for my partner if they want to use a similar style for their own face claim. (Also not al the Picrews are only in Japanese, some are in English and some have English/Japanese descriptions)

If you use Chrome it can automatically translate a site into English/your language of choice.

I sm not sure if I should post this here or on the Unpopular Opinion thread, but since these games are roleplaying games, I truly believe this belongs here:

I kind of like Call of Cthulhu better than Dungeons and Dragons. Both are great, and I love medieval fantasy. However, I have been having a lot of fun playing Call of Cthulhu recently. Maybe that's because it is new to me, compared to Dungeons avd Dragons. Maybe it's because lately I have been very into historical fiction. Either way, I feel like I am having more fun playing Coc than DnD lately.

Dungeons and Dragons isn't really a good roleplay system, if you're using it for telling stories rather than just murderhoboing. There are a lot of great TTRPGs out there and most of them are better than DnD. So it's not surprsing. :D

Honestly, that's so good to know! I am fairly new to TTRPGs in general, and I had only played DnD. But a few weeks ago we tried out CoC, and I found it more atmospheric :) DnD is great, and the whole lore around it is so interesting. It is just sad that, most part of the time, combat is prioritised, instead of exploring such mystical side. The way the DM tells the story is also very important. Some DMs are great storytellers, whilst others kind of focus solely on those "dynamic" combat details.
Call of Cthulhu, on the other hand, seems more focused on the story. Plus, I love the dice system, as I am an unlucky person, so rolling small isn't a big issue for me 😂

Yeah, you can absolutely play great stories with DnD if you have a good DM, but the system isn't set up to enable it through play. So it's all really down to the DM and players to improv all the character interactions and such, whereas something like Vampire the Masquerade is set up to enable complex social RP and intellectual feats equally as well as combat.

That seems interesting. Even though I love DnD, sometimes it just doesn't feel that fulfilling, because, as you said, sometimes the characters are not explored to their fully content.
With CoC we had the opportunity to explore a lot of the characters' deepest fears, and gave us the opportunity not only to advance with the storyline greatly, but also to explore each character too, and that was a great experience. And by the way, this was just a one-shot (we had to divide it in two sessions though, so not technically a one-shot).
I am trying to search more about the Vampire the Masquerade, and I'll ask our DM about it. Thank you so much for recommending it :)

PM me any time if you want to talk about it further!

You're also welcome join one of mine sometime, Kahir. I greatly dislike D&D but spent a lot of my early 20s on Masquerade.

Last edited:
Oh, are you playing/DMing a Vampire The Masquerade campaign, Grey?

I am always GMing, but not Masquerade right now. But most of my work is in a similar thematic and mechanical space to World of Darkness and CoC, and I sometimes run the more modern successors to Masquerade like Chronicles of Darkness or Requiem because I like their design better.

just gonna butt in to say, if you like narrative over combat, try any of the Powered by the Apocalypse games. their books are free online and they have a game for almost every genre. they basically streamlined the dice bits and focus a lot more on characters, relationships, narrative, etc. in fact, in a lot of their games, xp is rewarded on how well you rp facets of your character's personality!

anyway to stay on topic: unpopular opinion: i don't like how it's a trend to prettify your posts. it's not as prevalent here but when i used to rp on gaia online, it was kind of an unwritten rule that your posts had to be pretty. complete with gfx, banners, etc. i used to do it and it burnt me out from worrying over font colors... now i pretty much went the opposite way and want my posts as plain as possible lmao

I like to play 'peace-maker' characters amongst groups of cliché blood-thirsty warriors in order to be the voice of reason. 🤣

I don't think this is unpopular, I just don't think most people think of it.
I'm playing a noble character with a parrot in an upcoming tabletop campaign. That'll be fun.
In my case I definitely overlook it, although I RP in a lot of settings where pets would be very inconvenient anyway.

People need to acknowledge that you can dislike someone while giving props to them for what they do well. A lot of people ignore lessons that they could learn from the success of other RPs simply because they don't like a person.
It'd be more productive if people learned to put that kind of thing aside.

Oh, nice. Are those games based on books then? That's awesome, I often feel rather disappointed at the fact that the whole stories do not focus that much on character development and narrative, so that's definitely something I must check out as well, thank you for recommending it!

oh no, i meant the rulebooks and such are available online. my favorite games of theirs rn are Masks (which is like a coming of age story for teenage superheroes) and Blades in the Dark (Victorian-era heist game, with ghosts! and demons! and magic!)

i hope you find something you like with them!

I low key want people to link memes that fit their character. Like that's probably way more amusing and useful than half the stuff on there already.

ok unpopular (maybe ?) rp opinion:
i don’t...get ppl who say their character is inherently dominant or submissive like i don’t get why you’d use those terminologies on a site where erp isn’t even allowed bc cmon everyone knows dom/sub is a sex thing.
okay fine in this context they’re trying to describe their oc’s general temperament but there are other words u could go for like shy, controlling, meek, intense etc etc

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back