Viewpoint Unpopular roleplay opinions?

Unpopular opinion... I know it's not very sportsmanlike, but there's absolutely people on this site that I can't stand to roleplay with because of their political views. They can be perfectly cordial to me and write well and have funny characters, but the moment I hear something like do u srsly think i would say exactly what i think in here come out of their mouth I die a little inside and can't ever look at them the same.

I have a theory that people with different politics and different philosophies are attracted to different kinds of plots, but at the end of the day, I think I'm just trying to remind myself that it's okay to proactively curate my RP experience. I mean, I feel like a dick looking at my blocked list, but it makes RPing better for me...
I only really do this if they support something I consider truly reprehensible without cause or comprimise, or if they're just stupidly rude and stubborn about it.

Unpopular opinion... I know it's not very sportsmanlike, but there's absolutely people on this site that I can't stand to roleplay with because of their political views. They can be perfectly cordial to me and write well and have funny characters, but the moment I hear something like do u srsly think i would say exactly what i think in here come out of their mouth I die a little inside and can't ever look at them the same.

I have a theory that people with different politics and different philosophies are attracted to different kinds of plots, but at the end of the day, I think I'm just trying to remind myself that it's okay to proactively curate my RP experience. I mean, I feel like a dick looking at my blocked list, but it makes RPing better for me...

There's really nothing wrong with this at all. I definitely have a mental list of people I wouldn't rp with based on things they have said on here. If you would sidle away from someone saying those things if you were out at a bar, why would you willingly want to roleplay with them? I absolutely think it's possible to be friends with people who have very different political views, but there are lines, which, if overstepped, I would not want to be friends with them, or even be around them, and that includes spending time with their characters IC.

It certainly doesn't make you a dick. You don't have to be friends with everyone all the time.

sportsmanlike, but there's absolutely people on this site that I can't stand to roleplay with because of their political views
There's nothing wrong with that. Tbh, the whole idea that we should just all be friends regardless of what vile shit certain people believe needs to die.

We are obligated to (and should) treat everyone politely and respectfully and the presence of moderators on this site are a wonderful asset towards keeping civility. At least when it comes to general discourse.

That said, RPing is not a paid position. We're not employees or business owners. We are under no obligation to play with people we don't want to play with, whatever the reason we don't want to play with them. Forced cooperation works when there are economic incentives (i.e. work) or educational incentives (i.e. school) but playing with people you aren't having a good time with is not fun, it's not a good use of time in the hobby and you'll probably end up tanking their experience as well.

For those who have an appetite to 'teach'* players how to roleplay 'better', more power to you. For those who have an appetite to game with people who aren't like them, you have a great opportunity to widen out your worldview. But you don't have to. Especially if it's unfun.

*Footnote: Rules of Cool vary widely. For every player who likes highly literate, multi-paragraph posts, there's a player who gets exhausted reading them. For every player who likes short, fast posts, there's a player who doesn't find enough content for their character to really engage with...and thus not enough content for the player to engage with their character. You're not a bad roleplayer for liking what you like. You're only a bad roleplayer if you persistently try to force your playstyle onto players who don't like it instead of moving on to a game that fits your Rule of Cool.

Anime face claims kinda suck.
it depends on the type of roleplay. if you use anime face claims for a realistic roleplay then that's weird, but if you use a real person for a cartoon-ish roleplay that's also weird. anime face claims get a bad rep solely because they're tied to the theory that people who use them generally make mary-sues, or that people insist on using drawn face claims in realistic settings.

I just don't like face claims in general, but the ones that're looking at the viewer (me) are untenable. I got a thing about people looking at me!

It's not that I think one-liners themselves get too much hate, but the notion that you have to meet a specific word count to be considered "literate." I think it's sort of hateful to put it that way (and I've seen it described as such several times). There's merit in conciseness, and everyone has a different writing style. Mine is a little more wordy, because I get emotionally invested in my characters. But I feel like being super strict about a word count is unnecessarily harsh on a site where people are trying to hone their creativity, and I personally wouldn't RP with someone who is really uptight about meeting a word count.
Personally, I never even heard of face-claims into my tenth year of RPing. It sort of hit me as odd since I've spent my writing career describing characters I conjure up in my imagination, and I haven't really been fond of it since. Reference images are one thing, but otherwise, I prefer to use my imagination.

It's not that I think one-liners themselves get too much hate, but the notion that you have to meet a specific word count to be considered "literate." ... I There's merit in conciseness, and everyone has a different writing style ...

[on face-claims] ... I prefer to use my imagination.

Join the gang on both accounts!

Imagine adding in more words just to meet a criteria, or needing a picture
This post made by brevity and text gang​

I don't like using faceclaims. I will use them if the RP requires them, but I really prefer not to since nothing ever looks exactly like how I envision the character in my head.

I don't like using faceclaims. I will use them if the RP requires them, but I really prefer not to since nothing ever looks exactly like how I envision the character in my head.
Exactly. Plus I got into RP from reading fantasy books, and for a while every RP I did only used written descriptions.

big same on not liking word counts and the use of "literate" to describe your rp style. if being literate means you write several paragraphs, what does that make people who don't write as much? illiterate? i've seen a lot of "advanced literate" writers who, yes, could write 1k words for a post but it was all fluff. i'd rather have 200 words that advance the plot meaningfully than 1500 where half of it is just needlessly purple prose.

regarding face claims, i kinda like them in that it makes it easier for me to visualize your character if you have them but...the problem is a looot of available face claims (especially in fantasy and anime styled ones) are...white. or white looking. i like playing as a POC (seeing as i am one) so it's frustrating looking for a good one but most of the ones out there are white; you have to really dig deep to look for dark skinned face claims (who aren't sexualized to hell and back 🙃) it's why i sometimes prefer real person face claims, because it's easier finding real life POCs.

(but that's more of a pet peeve tbh.)

big same on not liking word counts and the use of "literate" to describe your rp style. if being literate means you write several paragraphs, what does that make people who don't write as much? illiterate? i've seen a lot of "advanced literate" writers who, yes, could write 1k words for a post but it was all fluff. i'd rather have 200 words that advance the plot meaningfully than 1500 where half of it is just needlessly purple prose.

regarding face claims, i kinda like them in that it makes it easier for me to visualize your character if you have them but...the problem is a looot of available face claims (especially in fantasy and anime styled ones) are...white. or white looking. i like playing as a POC (seeing as i am one) so it's frustrating looking for a good one but most of the ones out there are white; you have to really dig deep to look for dark skinned face claims (who aren't sexualized to hell and back 🙃) it's why i sometimes prefer real person face claims, because it's easier finding real life POCs.

(but that's more of a pet peeve tbh.)

Look at picrew.me or meiker.io. They are dollmakers. Picrew is famous for having dollmakers in various styles that have a wide range of skin colors. I know a lot of people are intimidated because picrew is in Japanese, but it's pretty self-explanatory using the dollmakers. You just click buttons and pick the options you like best. I usually link the dollmaker on the CS so it's credited but if you translate the text not everyone really requires that. I just do it cuz it's good for my partner if they want to use a similar style for their own face claim. (Also not al the Picrews are only in Japanese, some are in English and some have English/Japanese descriptions)

Look at picrew.me or meiker.io. They are dollmakers. Picrew is famous for having dollmakers in various styles that have a wide range of skin colors. I know a lot of people are intimidated because picrew is in Japanese, but it's pretty self-explanatory using the dollmakers. You just click buttons and pick the options you like best. I usually link the dollmaker on the CS so it's credited but if you translate the text not everyone really requires that. I just do it cuz it's good for my partner if they want to use a similar style for their own face claim. (Also not al the Picrews are only in Japanese, some are in English and some have English/Japanese descriptions)
thanks for the suggestions! i've used Picrew a few times tbh, but what i usually end up doing is i just...draw my characters. lol. if i have enough prep time for an rp, i just draw my character myself to save on the hassle 😂

Compared with group interest checks, most 1x1 interest checks seem to lack variety. There appears to be a checklist of information people adhere to, and any deviation from the list is uncommon. As a result, they all read the same. It is rare to see one formulated around a creative concept or idea the way group checks are.
Every single 1x1 interest check I’ve seen has been romance based, they always say stuff like “I’ll do FxM or FxF” is that really all those are about?

gheist gheist I agree with you on the advanced literate thing. I use it because they’re keywords for people who write stuffy, vocabulary-rich posts on this site :/

Every single 1x1 interest check I’ve seen has been romance based, they always say stuff like “I’ll do FxM or FxF” is that really all those are about?

You can search for platonic 1x1 using the platonic filter. Their are a decent number of people who don’t care about romance at all.

Most are about romance. It kind of annoys me since I'm not a fan of forced romance. I'm okay with it if it develops naturally, but to pre-plan the characters inevitably falling in love? I prefer not to go that route.

Most are about romance. It kind of annoys me since I'm not a fan of forced romance. I'm okay with it if it develops naturally, but to pre-plan the characters inevitably falling in love? I prefer not to go that route.
I always watch shows and movies and stuff hoping certain characters end up together, but I agree that if it’s going to be forced (like say, Claire and Steve in code Veronica) I say just don’t bother

I always watch shows and movies and stuff hoping certain characters end up together, but I agree that if it’s going to be forced (like say, Claire and Steve in code Veronica) I say just don’t bother
It's even worse when characters have no chemistry and are forced together anyway. That often happens in 1x1 RPs.

Honestly...

I think there is too much elitism on many sides in the RP community haha. Like both the people who write a lot and the people who prefer concise posts seem to have a gang they are apart of and many of the members won't just accept that the other has their own writing style and that's how they like it. Like, it is roleplaying and it is a hobby we do for fun, as long as everyone involved is having fun, there is no right or wrong way to do it (unless you're breaking site rules, in which case the mods can break your knee caps if they please).

That is one thing I think should be emphasized a bit more, everyone should be having fun. You like to write a lot? Great so do I, you don't? No worries, brother, there are plenty of people who are with you.

There are also things I think we can be over judgemental about. If someone wants to write a self-insert fantasy, well... I am not the partner to do it with, but if you can find the right one then go right ahead. You want to have an RP about a beautiful princess being saved by a handsome prince charming? As long as you gotta partner all for it, play yourself silly.

Honestly, I have seen some people want to act like literary critics when judging other people's rp style, rp plots and I am just like ???

I'm a novelist. I'm an RPer. I write those things completely differently. So you really cannot judge one the same way you would judge the other. I mean, yes, if a published book had the same type of writing as most RPs I would probably judge it harshly, but that is because it is a written and published novel. But I think people should just let others have their good fun and never ruin it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back