Viewpoint Unpopular roleplay opinions?

I don't know but I've always felt Gnomes were more reminiscent of nordic mythologie with the Nisse, like mischievous creatures who liked playing pranks. It is only with WoW and the current video games that they really earned their more tinkerer reputation.

Also, I may be wrong but only dwarves live underground?

They have three pretty different culture and origins! It's like saying, yeah Nordic countries are all the same, they basically speak the same language and eat the same stuff right? Why do we need Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland?

Oh, I suspect the mythology informing gnomes, hobbits and dwarves probably does vary. As memory serves, all three do prefer underground but dwarves like mountains, gnomes like caves/hills and halfings like burrowing. Dwarves like beards, halfings don't and gnomes are somewhere in the middle. They all live longer than humans but not as long as elves.

I like your Nordic country analogy, though. We do have Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland and they aren't the same...but they are populated by the same species who are just culturally variant. Put another way, elves in Forgotten Realms came in Sun, Moon, High, Wood, Star, etc. In Dragonlance, you had the Silvanesti, Qualinesti and Kagonesti. The latter even have their own distinct languages like gnomes, dwarves and halfings.

And you could accomplish the same thing by making them distinct cultures, not distinct races.

Like...let's say you have the Demifolk Race the way you have the Human Race.
Humans in the nation of Ferris might speak Ferric and be called Ferricans but their species is human.​
In like fashion, Demifolk in the nation of Thorbardin might speak Dwarven and be called Dwarves but their species is Demifolk.​
Gnomes in the land of Barovia might still speak Gnomish and their ancestors hailed from Granitehome and they call themselves Gnomes but their species is still Demifolk.​

My (incredibly) unpopular opinion is that treating dwarves, gnomes and halfings as genuinely separate species with mechanical differences despite incredibly similar design makes as much sense as coming up with separate mechanical traits for Americans vs. Africans or Chinese. :P Let culture be the real variant, the way it actually is in real life.

If we're talkin' D&D races, allow me to say that ostentatious tiefling twinks are bland and pathetic. Go play an elf.

EDIT: On second thought, literally any race is better for this noise than a tiefling.

Last edited:
@ M Mesenterium
FIrst off, congrats on going into veterinary. It's a very noble job. Also, brace yourself this may get long. I am only responding to this because it was brought up again.

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding what my original post. And I truly encourage people to re read it. I said pharmaceuticals are medieval and out dated methods. This is no denying a fact. Many of the medicines that are used today were made like in the twenties or thirties or sixties. Very few medications are modern and so don't take into consideration the new research. I feel like I need to make that clear. If medicine works for you that's fine. I'm just more for the neuro plastic aspects of therapy. I am someone who strongly believes many medications dull the ability for the brain to heal itself. I really wish we could have this conversation without people making assumptions.

Don't take this long post as like all targeted at you. It's more targeted to others like nerdy who had taken my original post and just ran with it. I'm over it now lol but I mean like I said I like you so I'm just giving you a bit more perspective.

So I just really wanted to make this clear, my strong opinion comes from my own research, schooling and experienced. I am only typing this long response out because I feel that nerdy made an unfair portrayal of myself. Again, I strongly encourage people to take a glance at my history.

My opinions are founded on some very strong grounds.

So, here I go. When I was fourteen or fifteen years old I went through my very first break up. A doctor at that time prescribed me medicine. It helped but not that much. Eventually I was on two medications, then three, then four until there was a point I was taking up to twelve pills a day. The amount of pills i was on literally toxified my system to the point I had a complete mental breakdown. I'm not saying like just la la la I'm a bit sad. I was not able to feed myself, cloth myself, bathe myself, work, have a life. I tried to literally kill myself about three to five time a week. Sorry if that is triggering. The damage to my brain was enough to induce a personality disorder. Yes, a personality disorder. You ever know what its like to be in a phych ward? I do. You ever have someone take the shoe laces out of your shoes or remove all doors in the house? Because I do. I even had to watch the same doctor do the same thing to my twin sister.

Again, this is so not directed at you. So not at you. I just really really hate when people take opinion and make it an assumption of someone. I don't think that's what your doing but because I admire your opinion in many threads. I mean, I'm not just speaking out my butt hole I lurk and I see how awesome you are in post. Just don't want you to think I'm a cold fish. =)

Also YAY VETS! Gosh I wish I could like have the strength. Vets are seriously the most compassionate people ever. My youngest cat had to get major surgery a few weeks ago and the vet was a god send. <3

Figured it would be best to put this in a spoiler since its not really on topic of the thread.

If we're talkin' D&D races, allow me to say that ostentatious tiefling twinks are bland and pathetic. Go play an elf.

EDIT: On second thought, literally any race is better for this noise than a tiefling.
Y'know what's worse than someone making a regular tiefling?
A tiefling that's different from the other tieflings because it's a good person.
They're like the new drow, aren't they?

As a side not please no one quote me on this specific post because it was made in the wrong thread but feel free to inbox me any time. =)

Though Drows were created to be an inherently evil race no? Like in Drizzt where they were an entire matriarchal Eviiiiil civilization?

Whereas Tieflings are more gray characters, they can be good or evil, and they shouldn't have a disposition towards any alignement.

Though Drows were created to be an inherently evil race no? Like in Drizzt where they were an entire matriarchal Eviiiiil civilization?

Whereas Tieflings are more gray characters, they can be good or evil, and they shouldn't have a disposition towards any alignement.
You're right.
The drow comment is more how about how back in the day, you saw a bunch of drow characters because of how popular Drizzt was in the fandom, and a lot of them had...sue-ish qualities, y'feel me?
I think the same thing applies to the tieflings now because a lot of people got into D&D through Critical Roll, though I think I'm biased from my one experience with a tiefling player.

You're right.
The drow comment is more how about how back in the day, you saw a bunch of drow characters because of how popular Drizzt was in the fandom, and a lot of them had...sue-ish qualities, y'feel me?
I think the same thing applies to the tieflings now because a lot of people got into D&D through Critical Roll, though I think I'm biased from my one experience with a tiefling player.
I don't know what's up with drow, since I've only been on the RPG scene for a year and a half, but my beef with tieflings is that they have the most creative potential out of any race in the game, but people keep making these obnoxious Dreamworks characters.

I don't know what's up with drow, since I've only been on the RPG scene for a year and a half, but my beef with tieflings is that they have the most creative potential out of any race in the game, but people keep making these obnoxious Dreamworks characters.
That's because people are getting into the game through podcasts, where they're primarily comedies and primarily have that kind of humor.
When drow were the big thing, people were getting into D&D through the Drizzt novels where he was the coolest good badass in a race full of evil jerks, and made copies of him to try and emulate what they liked.
D&D and roleplaying games as a whole are pretty recursive like that.

That's because people are getting into the game through podcasts, where they're primarily comedies and primarily have that kind of humor.
When drow were the big thing, people were getting into D&D through the Drizzt novels where he was the coolest good badass in a race full of evil jerks, and made copies of him to try and emulate what they liked.
D&D and roleplaying games as a whole are pretty recursive like that.
Why do all of my interests have to be mainstream. Why couldn't I have gotten into D&D during the satanic panic.

Why do all of my interests have to be mainstream. Why couldn't I have gotten into D&D during the satanic panic.
D&D was always about emulating stuff the creators thought were cool, to be fair. That's why you still have a knockoff of Stormbringer from Elric five editions in.
It's just that people only want to do one thing with D&D anymore.

I wouldn't say Dnd is popular XD You hear a lot of it here since well...we are on a roleplay platform, and Dnd is really close to that, but it is still a niche thing (albeit not as niche as warhammer). A lot of my Non CS friend never tried or even heard of the game before I proposed to play with them after all.

D&D is really only good for introducing people to tabletops, but people play it and then keep playing it instead of branching out.
Really, looking into other settings and fluff is preferable to the current idea of a generic campaign, right?
Dark Sun is real nifty.

M Mesenterium YES we had that sort of experience from our last vet. Our middle fur child got totally unnecessary stomach surgery and the vet was very creepy and pushed it on us. Like out poor kitten at that time wasn't even three months yet. It was nothing. Totally pointless but cost us a bunch of money and trauma to my cat. Oh gosh I just want to chew her out and she was so weird about it.

But this other vet totally opposite feeling. They got so attached to Alfred they shaved off two thousand off his bill . They just saw how much we loved him and insisted he get care. We didn't care if it took ten thousand dollars to save our youngest.The vet also walked us through like everything. And because my country is on lock down it was very difficult. I couldn't go see my cat when he was going in. T_T

Anyway YES vets are seriously either the most evil people or like serious angels.

I'm gonna say your an angel.

Let's be sure to stay on-topic, folks! Vets & whatnot are lovely all-around, but this is a RP discussion thread. ^33^ Feel free to PM though.

In an ideal world, everyone would make detailed character sheets and I wouldn't have to haha. I enjoy reading about other people's characters, but at the same time I like to keep aspects of my characters secret until some part of their backstory becomes relevant. Though I definitely agree with the sentiment that putting a lot of thought into developing a character concept before playing is generally best.

Unpopular roleplay opinions...

Alright. I think people who post interest checks are volunteering to run the world and setting for those playing in it. When they inevitably turn out to just want to play their own character in a scenario with no idea how the story or plot is supposed to go, I'm inevitably surprised and disappointed to see the RP crash and burn, unless the players like drama enough that they can occupy themselves for the foreseeable months/years creating drama between each other.

While I'm at it: Some of the best interest checks look like they took the host weeks to carefully craft, worldbuild and set up a story. And yet players flood those interest checks and spew out a character 2 hours later. Back up. A house is only as good as its foundation. A great interest check with a great host can generate a story that can go for a year or longer. Why on earth would you not put in a few days if not a week or so to draft, redraft and really land on a character that you're still going to be interested in a month later?

Unpopular roleplay opinions...

Alright. I think people who post interest checks are volunteering to run the world and setting for those playing in it. When they inevitably turn out to just want to play their own character in a scenario with no idea how the story or plot is supposed to go, I'm inevitably surprised and disappointed to see the RP crash and burn, unless the players like drama enough that they can occupy themselves for the foreseeable months/years creating drama between each other.

While I'm at it: Some of the best interest checks look like they took the host weeks to carefully craft, worldbuild and set up a story. And yet players flood those interest checks and spew out a character 2 hours later. Back up. A house is only as good as its foundation. A great interest check with a great host can generate a story that can go for a year or longer. Why on earth would you not put in a few days if not a week or so to draft, redraft and really land on a character that you're still going to be interested in a month later?
regarding your first point: on one hand i've always been more inclined towards joining roleplays where there's an actual premise, something to work off of, but on the other, i don't think character-driven ones are bad either! it may depend from genre to genre, but i believe it's fine for gm's to not have a story fleshed out or even all that thought-out if they wanted to allow the players to bounce ideas on how they want to progress it too! though i have been in ones where it never took off because the gm never took the initiative to push for something so i get what you mean too :")

Unpopular rp opinion: cliche rp premises are good and valid and should receive more attention, and more detailed and thought out attention at that, then they currently do. Some of the longest and most successful rp's I've been apart of worked off a very simple and somewhat cliche premise. They're overused only because they work.

Unpopular opinion... I know it's not very sportsmanlike, but there's absolutely people on this site that I can't stand to roleplay with because of their political views. They can be perfectly cordial to me and write well and have funny characters, but the moment I hear something like do u srsly think i would say exactly what i think in here come out of their mouth I die a little inside and can't ever look at them the same.

I have a theory that people with different politics and different philosophies are attracted to different kinds of plots, but at the end of the day, I think I'm just trying to remind myself that it's okay to proactively curate my RP experience. I mean, I feel like a dick looking at my blocked list, but it makes RPing better for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back