Viewpoint Unpopular roleplay opinions?

That could be true, however I disagree. If you can only post once a week, then that could mean you're waiting for that one moment of escape... Why label posters like that.

I've seen plenty of RPs asking for one post a week. Hell, I ask for it myself unless I'm inspired to write more after my partner or players/fellow RPers posted. I've even been in RPs where it has taken months for posts to roll in, too.

Anyway, considering I have a RP career that spans more than a decade with thousands of forum posts (almost 6k on one forum, for instance) and have countless hours in weekend tabletop sessions (12.5k hours currently on roll20) dedicated to RPs that have lasted literal years even with that requirement, saying that someone shouldn't RP because they can only post once a week is absolutely moronic. I know calling it moronic sounds harsh (especially since this is an "unpopular opinion" thread) but since I'm pretty much living proof of the opposite of what was said and have seen proof of it working in other rps that I am not in, I honestly can't agree with their take.

I've seen plenty of RPs asking for one post a week. Hell, I ask for it myself unless I'm inspired to write more after my partner or players/fellow RPers posted. I've even been in RPs where it has taken months for posts to roll in, too.

Anyway, considering I have a RP career that spans more than a decade with thousands of forum posts (almost 6k on one forum, for instance) and have countless hours in weekend tabletop sessions (12.5k hours currently on roll20) dedicated to RPs that have lasted literal years even with that requirement, saying that someone shouldn't RP because they can only post once a week is absolutely moronic. I know calling it moronic sounds harsh (especially since this is an "unpopular opinion" thread) but since I'm pretty much living proof of the opposite of what was said and have seen proof of it working in other rps that I am not in, I honestly can't agree with their take.

Same. I've been in RP's where there's only been a couple posts a month. Why? We're adults and have lives. We did not drop the RP's because we enjoyed the stories we've been creating.

Same. I've been in RP's where there's only been a couple posts a month. Why? We're adults and have lives. We did not drop the RP's because we enjoyed the stories we've been creating.

Mhm. I even have a RP that's been on hiatus for nearly a year (almost 12 months by now) and another that's been sitting at 5 months. I might poke around and ask for posts, but I'm not going to say that they shouldn't RP because they can only manage posts every so often.

Mhm. I even have a RP that's been on hiatus for nearly a year (almost 12 months by now) and another that's been sitting at 5 months. I might poke around and ask for posts, but I'm not going to say that they shouldn't RP because they can only manage posts every so often.

One of my RP partners I've been working with since we were both teenagers. Back then we were able to both post multiple times a day, but now in adulthood things are different. I'm suspecting the person who made the post about wanting frequent posts is fairly young still.

I'll admit that I've only been roleplaying for six years or so, but the only other time that I've seen people use faceclaims is on Flight Rising, where the players can insert pictures of the dragons they're using. Otherwise, people used descriptions even if they were roleplaying canon characters.

That brings up a point: If someone is playing a canon character, do they even need a CS at all? Seems kind of pointless, since there's usually a wiki for that person's profile anyway. XD Do people who play canons make CSes?!

That brings up a point: If someone is playing a canon character, do they even need a CS at all? Seems kind of pointless, since there's usually a wiki for that person's profile anyway. XD Do people who play canons make CSes?!

I don’t typically play canon characters, but the ones I do play are the underdeveloped characters that have a lot that can be up to interpretation. So I’d say really it depends? But there can be times when it isn’t pointless to make a CS for a canon character.

I don’t typically play canon characters, but the ones I do play are the underdeveloped characters that have a lot that can be up to interpretation. So I’d say really it depends? But there can be times when it isn’t pointless to make a CS for a canon character.

Like if you've developed them a lot away from the canon story? Or time has passed? Or yeah, I guess if they are Third Viking from the Left or something there might be a ton of blanks to fill in.

They might if it's a very minor character we know almost nothing about from canon sources.

I hate the thought of someone getting any kind of specific romantic fantasy fulfilled when roleplaying with me and I don't really feel comfortable with roleplay centered on romance as a result. I can see why it could be appealing but I doubt I would ever enjoy it myself. Platonic relationships are more fun in my opinion, and while I am not opposed romance in roleplay I don't ever wanna play out a specific "pairing", I mean come on... It just seems like adult film plots like 90% of the time. What's the point of romance if it's forced?

I hate the thought of someone getting any kind of specific romantic fantasy fulfilled when roleplaying with me and I don't really feel comfortable with roleplay centered on romance as a result. I can see why it could be appealing but I doubt I would ever enjoy it myself. Platonic relationships are more fun in my opinion, and while I am not opposed romance in roleplay I don't ever wanna play out a specific "pairing", I mean come on... It just seems like adult film plots like 90% of the time. What's the point of romance if it's forced?
This is a good point, and it should be added that within the rules of RPN, romantic pairings should be focused on the nature of romance that is friendship! While this isn't the case for everyone, to some core level a relationship that is romantic is also intensely friendly. That part, I think, is interesting. Two lovers on a runaway journey from the baddie or even fellow RPers, the stress, the exploration of what makes a relationship strong, how much adversity it can deal with before it all falls apart, all of these things are really important, and most importantly they don't break the rules or be too close for comfort.

Also, often times the most fun RP in specific romances happens to be the first meeting, the dates, the etc. I can't stand RPs once the couple is already a thing and is intensely a thing, because at that point we're done! Unless something big is about to go down, the story is over, book closed, the end.

Another thing: I really hate when RPs don't start soon after achieving sufficient interest. I know that the entire point of interest checks is to see if an idea is worth making a roleplay for, so people probably aren't going to have everything ready, but my interest burns out fast if I don't recieve any news. And then it's super awkward when I get messages from the GM a week later that the RP has started but I've already joined others and forgotten about it.

Another thing: I really hate when RPs don't start soon after achieving sufficient interest. I know that the entire point of interest checks is to see if an idea is worth making a roleplay for, so people probably aren't going to have everything ready, but my interest burns out fast if I don't recieve any news. And then it's super awkward when I get messages from the GM a week later that the RP has started but I've already joined others and forgotten about it.

This is a good point. Thankfully for the interest check I just put up I have most of the lore already developed for it.

Do people who play canons make CSes?!
I can’t speak for singular fandom roleplays, but multifandom roleplays (which are my jam) usually do, yea. Though you can probably imagine there’s more reason to make sheets in a roleplay where the character cast shows not everyone has watched the same animes and played the same games.

Anyways, adding my own opinion to the pot, I think ”roles” or whatever they’re called are kinda stupid. Like okay, I get that you want a jock or a goth or something to be your....magical warriors or whatever. But I personally would like to have some space to make a character without stressing its not close enough to whatever cog you need in the machine.

I can’t speak for singular fandom roleplays, but multifandom roleplays (which are my jam) usually do, yea. Though you can probably imagine there’s more reason to make sheets in a roleplay where the character cast shows not everyone has watched the same animes and played the same games.

Anyways, adding my own opinion to the pot, I think ”roles” or whatever they’re called are kinda stupid. Like okay, I get that you want a jock or a goth or something to be your....magical warriors or whatever. But I personally would like to have some space to make a character without stressing its not close enough to whatever cog you need in the machine.

It never even occurred to me that multifandom RPs were a thing. That makes sense.

I'm not super keen on roles either, but a one word concept is juuuuuust about acceptable for me. XD

I'm not super keen on roles either, but a one word concept is juuuuuust about acceptable for me. XD
I already get super nervous about how my characters will go over, I don’t need to worry about making sure my character sticks to an archetype or whatever too. That’s honestly too much for me and my constantly concerned heart.

But, yea I said “kinda” for a reason. They aren’t the bane of my existence.

I can't stand space roleplays without aliens. What's the point of space exploration if there's nothing to find but rocks.

I can't stand space roleplays without aliens. What's the point of space exploration if there's nothing to find but rocks.

Imo, they can be enjoyable without paranormal elements. Like, there's the suspense of exploring the unknown and such too.

I don't think there's much suspense in finding rocks, but to each their own.

Some of the best sci-fi stories I've ever seen did not feature aliens whatsoever so it's definitely a subjective opinion.

This is a bit harsh but ... heavily coded posts or characters sheets look bad most of the time, especially when all the text is shoved into tiny scroll boxes. Same for overly fancy fonts like this one , or very little, tiny ones. Gifs another thing I hate, they're so distracting when I'm trying to read. I feel like people try too hard be aesthetically pleasing, but end up forgetting to make their posts actually readable. (Not to mention when people forget that dark mode is a thing, and while it looks good in light version, the colors either clash or are unreadable in the dark one.)

This is a bit harsh but ... heavily coded posts or characters sheets look bad most of the time, especially when all the text is shoved into tiny scroll boxes. Same for overly fancy fonts like this one , or very little, tiny ones. Gifs another thing I hate, they're so distracting when I'm trying to read. I feel like people try too hard be aesthetically pleasing, but it end up forgetting to make their posts actually readable. (Not to mention when people forget that dark mode is a thing, and while it looks good in light version, the colors either clash or are unreadable in the dark one.)
I pass on it quickly if it hurts my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back