What's new

Viewpoint Unpopular roleplay opinions?

Franklin

Prepare to feel the weight of your immaturity.
@Kahir YES we had that sort of experience from our last vet. Our middle fur child got totally unnecessary stomach surgery and the vet was very creepy and pushed it on us. Like out poor kitten at that time wasn't even three months yet. It was nothing. Totally pointless but cost us a bunch of money and trauma to my cat. Oh gosh I just want to chew her out and she was so weird about it.

But this other vet totally opposite feeling. They got so attached to Alfred they shaved off two thousand off his bill . They just saw how much we loved him and insisted he get care. We didn't care if it took ten thousand dollars to save our youngest.The vet also walked us through like everything. And because my country is on lock down it was very difficult. I couldn't go see my cat when he was going in. T_T

Anyway YES vets are seriously either the most evil people or like serious angels.

I'm gonna say your an angel.

Daisie

☯Art by peritwinkle♞
Let's be sure to stay on-topic, folks! Vets & whatnot are lovely all-around, but this is a RP discussion thread. ^33^ Feel free to PM though.

Kahir

"𝕬𝖑𝖊𝖆 𝖎𝖆𝖈𝖙𝖆 𝖊𝖘𝖙"
Let's be sure to stay on-topic, folks! Vets & whatnot are lovely all-around, but this is a RP discussion thread. ^33^ Feel free to PM though.
Sorry about it 😅 As such appears not to be possible I've been replying here. I apologise for going off-topic.

Kahir

"𝕬𝖑𝖊𝖆 𝖎𝖆𝖈𝖙𝖆 𝖊𝖘𝖙"
But getting back on topic: detailed character sheets > simple character sheets.
This depends a lot on the roleplay we are talking about, but I love to know about all the mannerisms of certain character, how they usually dress, their accent, their handwriting, etc. And deatiled character sheets allow the roleplayers to showw that about their characters.
Whereas simpler versions don't allow much freedom when it comes to that.

ApfelSeine

Southern Rainbow
In an ideal world, everyone would make detailed character sheets and I wouldn't have to haha. I enjoy reading about other people's characters, but at the same time I like to keep aspects of my characters secret until some part of their backstory becomes relevant. Though I definitely agree with the sentiment that putting a lot of thought into developing a character concept before playing is generally best.

Epiphany

Proverbs 17:9
Unpopular roleplay opinions...

Alright. I think people who post interest checks are volunteering to run the world and setting for those playing in it. When they inevitably turn out to just want to play their own character in a scenario with no idea how the story or plot is supposed to go, I'm inevitably surprised and disappointed to see the RP crash and burn, unless the players like drama enough that they can occupy themselves for the foreseeable months/years creating drama between each other.

While I'm at it: Some of the best interest checks look like they took the host weeks to carefully craft, worldbuild and set up a story. And yet players flood those interest checks and spew out a character 2 hours later. Back up. A house is only as good as its foundation. A great interest check with a great host can generate a story that can go for a year or longer. Why on earth would you not put in a few days if not a week or so to draft, redraft and really land on a character that you're still going to be interested in a month later?

Uxie

울지 마!
Unpopular roleplay opinions...

Alright. I think people who post interest checks are volunteering to run the world and setting for those playing in it. When they inevitably turn out to just want to play their own character in a scenario with no idea how the story or plot is supposed to go, I'm inevitably surprised and disappointed to see the RP crash and burn, unless the players like drama enough that they can occupy themselves for the foreseeable months/years creating drama between each other.

While I'm at it: Some of the best interest checks look like they took the host weeks to carefully craft, worldbuild and set up a story. And yet players flood those interest checks and spew out a character 2 hours later. Back up. A house is only as good as its foundation. A great interest check with a great host can generate a story that can go for a year or longer. Why on earth would you not put in a few days if not a week or so to draft, redraft and really land on a character that you're still going to be interested in a month later?
regarding your first point: on one hand i've always been more inclined towards joining roleplays where there's an actual premise, something to work off of, but on the other, i don't think character-driven ones are bad either! it may depend from genre to genre, but i believe it's fine for gm's to not have a story fleshed out or even all that thought-out if they wanted to allow the players to bounce ideas on how they want to progress it too! though i have been in ones where it never took off because the gm never took the initiative to push for something so i get what you mean too :")

Noivian

Drinker of coffees
Helper
Unpopular rp opinion: cliche rp premises are good and valid and should receive more attention, and more detailed and thought out attention at that, then they currently do. Some of the longest and most successful rp's I've been apart of worked off a very simple and somewhat cliche premise. They're overused only because they work.

welian

Instigator
Unpopular opinion... I know it's not very sportsmanlike, but there's absolutely people on this site that I can't stand to roleplay with because of their political views. They can be perfectly cordial to me and write well and have funny characters, but the moment I hear something like do u srsly think i would say exactly what i think in here come out of their mouth I die a little inside and can't ever look at them the same.

I have a theory that people with different politics and different philosophies are attracted to different kinds of plots, but at the end of the day, I think I'm just trying to remind myself that it's okay to proactively curate my RP experience. I mean, I feel like a dick looking at my blocked list, but it makes RPing better for me...

Unpopular opinion... I know it's not very sportsmanlike, but there's absolutely people on this site that I can't stand to roleplay with because of their political views. They can be perfectly cordial to me and write well and have funny characters, but the moment I hear something like do u srsly think i would say exactly what i think in here come out of their mouth I die a little inside and can't ever look at them the same.

I have a theory that people with different politics and different philosophies are attracted to different kinds of plots, but at the end of the day, I think I'm just trying to remind myself that it's okay to proactively curate my RP experience. I mean, I feel like a dick looking at my blocked list, but it makes RPing better for me...
I only really do this if they support something I consider truly reprehensible without cause or comprimise, or if they're just stupidly rude and stubborn about it.

Crayons

Iconoclast

There's really nothing wrong with this at all. I definitely have a mental list of people I wouldn't rp with based on things they have said on here. If you would sidle away from someone saying those things if you were out at a bar, why would you willingly want to roleplay with them? I absolutely think it's possible to be friends with people who have very different political views, but there are lines, which, if overstepped, I would not want to be friends with them, or even be around them, and that includes spending time with their characters IC.

It certainly doesn't make you a dick. You don't have to be friends with everyone all the time.

Blackguard

sportsmanlike, but there's absolutely people on this site that I can't stand to roleplay with because of their political views
There's nothing wrong with that. Tbh, the whole idea that we should just all be friends regardless of what vile shit certain people believe needs to die.

Epiphany

Proverbs 17:9
We are obligated to (and should) treat everyone politely and respectfully and the presence of moderators on this site are a wonderful asset towards keeping civility. At least when it comes to general discourse.

That said, RPing is not a paid position. We're not employees or business owners. We are under no obligation to play with people we don't want to play with, whatever the reason we don't want to play with them. Forced cooperation works when there are economic incentives (i.e. work) or educational incentives (i.e. school) but playing with people you aren't having a good time with is not fun, it's not a good use of time in the hobby and you'll probably end up tanking their experience as well.

For those who have an appetite to 'teach'* players how to roleplay 'better', more power to you. For those who have an appetite to game with people who aren't like them, you have a great opportunity to widen out your worldview. But you don't have to. Especially if it's unfun.

*Footnote: Rules of Cool vary widely. For every player who likes highly literate, multi-paragraph posts, there's a player who gets exhausted reading them. For every player who likes short, fast posts, there's a player who doesn't find enough content for their character to really engage with...and thus not enough content for the player to engage with their character. You're not a bad roleplayer for liking what you like. You're only a bad roleplayer if you persistently try to force your playstyle onto players who don't like it instead of moving on to a game that fits your Rule of Cool.

Anime face claims kinda suck.
it depends on the type of roleplay. if you use anime face claims for a realistic roleplay then that's weird, but if you use a real person for a cartoon-ish roleplay that's also weird. anime face claims get a bad rep solely because they're tied to the theory that people who use them generally make mary-sues, or that people insist on using drawn face claims in realistic settings.

Kahir

"𝕬𝖑𝖊𝖆 𝖎𝖆𝖈𝖙𝖆 𝖊𝖘𝖙"
For those who have an appetite to 'teach'* players how to roleplay 'better', more power to you. For those who have an appetite to game with people who aren't like them, you have a great opportunity to widen out your worldview. But you don't have to. Especially if it's unfun.
I totally agree with you on this. In fact, I prefer to roleplay with people similar to me, because of a "traumatic" experience I had in the past and that I am still recovering from, but mostly because it helps me so much with communication, which is something that can be a bit hard for me to actually establish in a solid way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)