Other Unpopular Opinions

Anyway, I hate the So-Cal form of animation, it's why I never watched shows like Steven Universe, I hate the art style.
So-Cal? As in, "Southern California?" I didn't realize that a region of a state had its own art style. Like, I know how the Southwest region of the US has a certain Native-inspired art style. But that's a deeply rooted cultural thing that spans back to the indigenous peoples. But cartoon animation by state? And not even the whole state. just the southern half. Please explain. I'm in the dark here.

So-Cal? As in, "Southern California?" I didn't realize that a region of a state had its own art style. Like, I know how the Southwest region of the US has a certain Native-inspired art style. But that's a deeply rooted cultural thing that spans back to the indigenous peoples. But cartoon animation by state? And not even the whole state. just the southern half. Please explain. I'm in the dark here.
Ooops, I mispronounced it. It's CalArts. I am referring to the style of animation that came out of the California Institute of Arts or CalArts for short. It's a specific place, not a region. Sorry for the confusion.

Ooops, I mispronounced it. It's CalArts. I am referring to the style of animation that came out of the California Institute of Arts or CalArts for short. It's a specific place, not a region. Sorry for the confusion.
Ah... that makes a lot more sense

I too am a pineapple pizza fan!

I mean... why be normal? If you like it, you like it. You be you! =)

Food Pizza GIF by Barstool Sports
Same.... I don't force it on others tho, but pepperoni and pineapple is a godly combo

Will Ferrel isn't funny. Like, I know so many people (including my in-laws) who think Will Ferrel's movies are hilarious. But I find his humor to be stupid and obnoxious. And I'm always scowled at like I'm a grouch when I don't want to watch a Will Ferrel movie with everyone.

I reeeeeeeaaaaaally don't like Tiny Tina's Wonderland (and she's one of my favorite character's from Borderlands).

I love the taste of bacon, but not the texture. I have a really hard time with any sort of fatty meats/gristle.

Probably also unpopular, but this is why I like canned 'corned beef'. Fried up it tastes like bacon to me, but is a lot leaner in comparison.

Anime is overrated. I mean, I've tried. I really have. But after more than a few attempts to try and get into japanese animation shows, I just find the vast majority of it to be really bland, and really poorly written. Just boring. The dialogue sucks. the characters are cliche... and imo most of the animation is really cheap. I can count on one hand the animes I've actually enjoyed. And they're almost all at least a decade old, if not more. The only recent one that I can think of that I thought was pretty good was the Castlevania series on Netflix.

But I really dont understand why everyone is so hung up on anime, in general.

Anime is overrated. I mean, I've tried. I really have. But after more than a few attempts to try and get into japanese animation shows, I just find the vast majority of it to be really bland, and really poorly written. Just boring. The dialogue sucks. the characters are cliche... and imo most of the animation is really cheap. I can count on one hand the animes I've actually enjoyed. And they're almost all at least a decade old, if not more. The only recent one that I can think of that I thought was pretty good was the Castlevania series on Netflix.

I used to be into it when I was younger, but as I got older I just lost interest. Now the only ones I'll watch are ones I enjoyed in my childhood because of the nostalgia involved.

I used to be into it when I was younger, but as I got older I just lost interest. Now the only ones I'll watch are ones I enjoyed in my childhood because of the nostalgia involved.
I do like some Miyazaki movies from back in the day. But tbh, they aren't even really on par with typical "anime". I mean, even Miyazaki himself had a bit of bad things to say about the anime genre.

But yeah, nostalgia can change a person's opinion about a show. I've actually tried to rewatch old films that I (used to) hold in high regard. Then after watching it again 30 years later, I was like.... why did I ever like this? *cough* BillandTed'sBogusJourney *cough*

See, that's funny. I thought Castlevania was pretty bland and disliked it from the very first episode! The only good thing about it was Carmilla, to me.

Conversely, I quite like a lot of anime. I don't know what kind of stuff you've watched, but maybe you didn't come across any that might suit your tastes? It's a type of medium, not a genre. Even the typical anime tropes are not present in all anime.

See, that's funny. I thought Castlevania was pretty bland and disliked it from the very first episode! The only good thing about it was Carmilla, to me.

Conversely, I quite like a lot of anime. I don't know what kind of stuff you've watched, but maybe you didn't come across any that might suit your tastes? It's a type of medium, not a genre. Even the typical anime tropes are not present in all anime.
I dunno. I didnt keep a list or anything. But off the top of my head, stuff like Naruto and ... just the isekai thing (seen a few of these) are kinda trash (imo).
I'm not saying Castlevania was "OMFG this is awesome!", but it was palatable. Sometimes there was too much talking, but overall I give it a pass.

Okay, so i looked up a list of popular animes, to see what out of there I could tell you I've watched. Admittedly, I havent heard of a lot of that list. But some that were on there that I saw at least a couple episodes to give it a shot were:

Cowboy Bebop- I really tried to like this, as the setting seems like it would be right up my alley. But I just couldnt get into it. after a couple of episodes, I was done.

Berserk- This one seems to be a particular favorite to anime fans. But aside from the gratuitous violence, I could give a damn about any of the characters. And i hate the giant sword. it just looks dumb.

HunterXHunter- Yeesh. This one was particularly bland and boring. I wish I could have back the wasted hours from this one

Deathnote- another one that seems super popular with anime fans. But I dont understand why

Ghost in the Shell- admittedly, I LOVE the original film. Saw it yeeeears ago, and I lovd the concepts. The sequels and series that followed... ehh, not so much. The live action was...okay.

One Punch Man- allegedly one of the most all-time favorite animes out there. But I dont see it.

Black Lagoon- I actually did like this series for like the first (two?) seasons. But after that, it was kinda meh

Gurren Lagann- dumb tropes. dumb characters. dumb dialogue. cheap animation. repetitive themes. need i say more?

Claymore-all i can remember abut this one was it was really boring and eveyone talked too much, and the main character was completely unappealing.

Fullmetal Alchemist - yawn. can't remember a lot about this one either. must have been particularly forgettable

Elfen Lied-my little brother actually showed me this. And I actually liked the concept. But I HATED the main character. she was so FUCKING ANNOYING!

Mobile suit Gundam-I pretty much hate all anime-mecha tropes. Let's just leave it at that.

Space Pirate Captain Harlock-maybe it's just because its old, but I struggled so hard to watch this. I think i tried more than once to get through some vid time... but omg, i just couldnt.

Chobits-absolute and total waste of time and energy. Burn it. Burn it out of existence!

Fist of the North Star- old. boring. crap animation

Samurai Champloo- I... well, i know I saw an episode or two, but I actually cant remember what I thought about it.

Trigun-main character is stupid, annoying, and OP at the same time

Blood-I actually really liked the original movie. The series, not so much.

I dunno. I didnt keep a list or anything. But off the top of my head, stuff like Naruto and ... just the isekai thing (seen a few of these) are kinda trash (imo).
I'm not saying Castlevania was "OMFG this is awesome!", but it was palatable. Sometimes there was too much talking, but overall I give it a pass.

Okay, so i looked up a list of popular animes, to see what out of there I could tell you I've watched. Admittedly, I havent heard of a lot of that list. But some that were on there that I saw at least a couple episodes to give it a shot were:

Cowboy Bebop- I really tried to like this, as the setting seems like it would be right up my alley. But I just couldnt get into it. after a couple of episodes, I was done.

Berserk- This one seems to be a particular favorite to anime fans. But aside from the gratuitous violence, I could give a damn about any of the characters. And i hate the giant sword. it just looks dumb.

HunterXHunter- Yeesh. This one was particularly bland and boring. I wish I could have back the wasted hours from this one

Deathnote- another one that seems super popular with anime fans. But I dont understand why

Ghost in the Shell- admittedly, I LOVE the original film. Saw it yeeeears ago, and I lovd the concepts. The sequels and series that followed... ehh, not so much. The live action was...okay.

One Punch Man- allegedly one of the most all-time favorite animes out there. But I dont see it.

Black Lagoon- I actually did like this series for like the first (two?) seasons. But after that, it was kinda meh

Gurren Lagann- dumb tropes. dumb characters. dumb dialogue. cheap animation. repetitive themes. need i say more?

Claymore-all i can remember abut this one was it was really boring and eveyone talked too much, and the main character was completely unappealing.

Fullmetal Alchemist - yawn. can't remember a lot about this one either. must have been particularly forgettable

Elfen Lied-my little brother actually showed me this. And I actually liked the concept. But I HATED the main character. she was so FUCKING ANNOYING!

Mobile suit Gundam-I pretty much hate all anime-mecha tropes. Let's just leave it at that.

Space Pirate Captain Harlock-maybe it's just because its old, but I struggled so hard to watch this. I think i tried more than once to get through some vid time... but omg, i just couldnt.

Chobits-absolute and total waste of time and energy. Burn it. Burn it out of existence!

Fist of the North Star- old. boring. crap animation

Samurai Champloo- I... well, i know I saw an episode or two, but I actually cant remember what I thought about it.

Trigun-main character is stupid, annoying, and OP at the same time

Blood-I actually really liked the original movie. The series, not so much.
Funnily enough, we do seem to have similar taste, lol. I hated most of the things you hated, ESPECIALLY Chobits and Elfen Lied. Fuck those two in particular, man. I did like Claymore and Berserk (the manga, though), as well as Black Lagoon (100% agree that the third season is shit, also). Gurren Lagann was good in my eyes, but I went along with the whole 'over-the-top' thing.

Overall, it seems like you might enjoy dark, serious-ish things but still with some flair?

Funnily enough, we do seem to have similar taste, lol. I hated most of the things you hated, ESPECIALLY Chobits and Elfen Lied. Fuck those two in particular, man. I did like Claymore and Berserk (the manga, though), as well as Black Lagoon (100% agree that the third season is shit, also). Gurren Lagann was good in my eyes, but I went along with the whole 'over-the-top' thing.

Overall, it seems like you might enjoy dark, serious-ish things but still with some flair?
I a;ready mentioned I liked Blood: The Last Vampire and the OG Ghost in the Shell.
some other anime I liked are:

Ninja Scroll (the movie, not the series),
Battle Angel Alita (circa 1993),
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - animation on this one was actually top-shelf (imo)
Nausicaa (great film despite the older animation style)
Spirited Away
and...

I'm starting to realize that I don't actually seem to have any anime SERIES that I like. lol
These are all just movies. lmao never realized that until now.

I a;ready mentioned I liked Blood: The Last Vampire and the OG Ghost in the Shell.
some other anime I liked are:

Ninja Scroll (the movie, not the series),
Battle Angel Alita (circa 1993),
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - animation on this one was actually top-shelf (imo)
Nausicaa (great film despite the older animation style)
Spirited Away
and...

I'm starting to realize that I don't actually seem to have any anime SERIES that I like. lol
These are all just movies. lmao never realized that until now.
Okay, I think I've got some idea of what you might like, haha.

Maybe, if you're ever in the mood, give Mononoke a try? Not the movie, but the series. It's aggressively Japanese in that you might be a bit lost if you know nothing about their mythology, but the emotional core imo resonates despite that and the animation is pretty unique. It's also pretty serious, with none of that fanservice nonsense, and episodic (with an arc usually taking like three episodes), so it isn't hard to stomach even if you don't have a lot of time. I realize you weren't asking for a rec but this is what came to mind immediately, haha. Take it or leave it!

Okay, I think I've got some idea of what you might like, haha.

Maybe, if you're ever in the mood, give Mononoke a try? Not the movie, but the series. It's aggressively Japanese in that you might be a bit lost if you know nothing about their mythology, but the emotional core imo resonates despite that and the animation is pretty unique. It's also pretty serious, with none of that fanservice nonsense, and episodic (with an arc usually taking like three episodes), so it isn't hard to stomach even if you don't have a lot of time. I realize you weren't asking for a rec but this is what came to mind immediately, haha. Take it or leave it!
right. totally forgot about Princess Mononoke. It's actully my favorite Miyazaki film. But like I said, I consider Miyazaki's works to be outside of anime. He really puts a whole other kind of effort into it. It's like comparing a Full-blown Disney(or Pixar) Classic, to a Saturday Morning cartoon. lol

But sure, I'll try the series.... unrelated, I assume?

right. totally forgot about Princess Mononoke. It's actully my favorite Miyazaki film. But like I said, I consider Miyazaki's works to be outside of anime. He really puts a whole other kind of effort into it. It's like comparing a Full-blown Disney(or Pixar) Classic, to a Saturday Morning cartoon. lol

But sure, I'll try the series.... unrelated, I assume?
I get what you mean, yeah. His movies are classics for a reason! They are one of the few anime movies I'd recommend even to my older relatives (well, those, and Grave of the Fireflies.)

The series is totally unrelated, yeah. Mononoke is just a word referring to a type of spirit and the series deals with those. Do let me know if you liked it when you try it because I'm curious, haha. It's kind of weird, but in a pleasant way (at least to me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back