Other Unpopular Opinions

Bacon is probably the most over-rated food in existence. It's basically just fat.

Spec Ops: The Line sucked and failed at what is was trying to do. The easiest way to look at what it could be is to look at games that actually did it right, Metro 2033 and Undetales.

The creators of Spec Ops tried to make the player examine their own actions in the context of playing the game. But the problem is.. they took away all player agency. Video games is an interesting media because its an interactive media, SO:TL failed to understand this. So they created this, hilariously bad, theme wrapped around, 'Well, you could have stopped at any time.'

Now, if you think that is cool... well, takes all kinds of people, but a video game should not have the central lesson be, 'Hey, its your fault for playing our game that you spent money on instead of just not playing and so wasting that money. You're a bad person. Omegalawls'.

Take for instance the big 'White Phosphorus' scene. In the game, you are fighting and are forced to call in white phosphorus, find out you killed a bunch of innocent people as well, big sad. Now there is a problem here. Do you see it? Forced. You cannot rag on the player for being a 'big bad old meanie' if you didn't give them a choice in the matter. If you want to do it right, to involve player agency, to actually make it their fault it happened, mention civilians in the area, make the level hard as balls but not impossible [As they did make it impossible], and give the player an easy out. You can do this incredibly hard method of doing it... or you can drop the white phosphorus and skip it. Once they drop the white phosphorus, you nail them for doing it. Undertale did this beautifully with if you kill Toriel and try to reset, you are called out for what you did, thinking you could reset and erase it. That is beautiful. That involves player choice, agency and fulfills a games role as interactive media. SO:TL failed at this so hard its pitiful.

Take Metro 2033. Amazing game, play it if you haven't. There are a race of psychic mutants that are killing people just by being near them. No one can talk to them because of it. People are convinced they are here to wipe the last of humanity out and replace them. Near the end, you can nuke them... or don't. As their psychic influence is pushing on your character's mind, you start to see things, things that had happened, things that imply nuking them is right, things that imply nuking them is wrong. But you have no way of knowing. No way of knowing until you make your choice. To nuke or not to nuke. To be the monster or not. That is what Spec Ops should have done. That is what Spec Ops wanted to be but failed to be. When I see people talking up how amazing Spec Ops was, it makes me roll my eyes, because it isn't. Its the writers smelling their own farts and thinking how amazing they are and how deep they are and how they deconstructed, blah blah blah. But no. Its not.

I despise when people talk about politics with me out of nowhere- or at all really. It's upsetting and it's not a casual topic. Everyone I know that does this also has another awful character trait: They won't change subjects even if you ask politely. It's not even a "agree to disagree" situation, whether you have similar beliefs to me or not I do not want to talk about it, there is no quicker way to absolutely decimate my day. It scares me, frustrates me and makes me very sad to hear that people can't just get along. I especially hate when their excuse is "you need to educate yourself", I am completely capable of doing that on my own time and I'm not interested in constantly debating with people and getting paragraphs of awful news I don't want to hear.
My tolerance for it is so low I'm at the point I just walk away, put on my headphones or block whoever's trying to talk about it with me. Please respect people's boundaries...

Spec Ops: The Line
I'm not sure why the writers of this game insisted on writing this story at the absolute expense of the player's patience while also insulting their intelligence. Maybe I would appreciate a deconstruction of the military shooter genre if it weren't so ham-fisted in its rather shallow critique of U.S. imperialism and military intervention. There was no need for the game to repeat its spiel so often or to drag it out and beat it to death before giving it a grand literary funeral. WE GET IT!!! It was as if the devs didn't trust the player to understand any of the deeper issues and conflicts at hand. The more graphic scenes of war crimes and whatnot went from being uncomfortable to straight boring because there was so much of it and it was so drawn out. It didn't feel profound; it felt cheap and exploitative.

Anyways, I'm very much over this "subversive" brand of writers whose whole schtick is just to throw acid into the viewer's eyes and ask "DOESN'T THAT HURT?" Why yes, it does.

Last edited:
I despise when people talk about politics with me out of nowhere- or at all really. It's upsetting and it's not a casual topic. Everyone I know that does this also has another awful character trait: They won't change subjects even if you ask politely. It's not even a "agree to disagree" situation, whether you have similar beliefs to me or not I do not want to talk about it, there is no quicker way to absolutely decimate my day. It scares me, frustrates me and makes me very sad to hear that people can't just get along. I especially hate when their excuse is "you need to educate yourself", I am completely capable of doing that on my own time and I'm not interested in constantly debating with people and getting paragraphs of awful news I don't want to hear.
My tolerance for it is so low I'm at the point I just walk away, put on my headphones or block whoever's trying to talk about it with me. Please respect people's boundaries...

Good thing we have never talked then. I personally love talking politics. I'm an opinionated and passionate person who sometimes just needs to vent about these things. I do understand that not everyone is into it, though.

Good thing we have never talked then. I personally love talking politics. I'm an opinionated and passionate person who sometimes just needs to vent about these things. I do understand that not everyone is into it, though.
Most people seem to like politics, and they're free to. My issue comes with those who force unwilling people to listen. It can really extend to topics beyond politics, but the biggest offender is politics in my experience.

I'm not sure why the writers of this game insisted on writing this story at the absolute expense of the player's patience while also insulting their intelligence. Maybe I would appreciate a deconstruction of the military shooter genre if it weren't so ham-fisted in its rather shallow critique of U.S. imperialism and military intervention. There was no need for the game to repeat its spiel so often or to drag it out and beat it to death before giving it a grand literary funeral. WE GET IT!!! It was as if the devs didn't trust the player to understand any of the deeper issues and conflicts at hand. The more graphic scenes of war crimes and whatnot went from being uncomfortable to straight boring because there was so much of it and it was so drawn out. It didn't feel profound; it felt cheap and exploitative.

Anyways, I'm very much over this "subversive" brand of writers whose whole schtick is just to throw acid into the viewer's eyes and ask "DOESN'T THAT HURT?" Why yes, it does.

I mean, if we include games that didn't trust their audience, we'd have a long list.

Maybe they should be like anime and just outright state every single thing so no one can misunderstand [Probably my biggest anime pet peeve].

Maybe they should be like anime and just outright state every single thing so no one can misunderstand.
"How could this be?! He's coming at me with the Ancient Ultra Fireball Extravaganza Attack, one of the most powerful moves in the history of moving! There's no WAY he could have that power! And I haven't even seen this since my father died! *Flashback to a scene earlier this same episode* There's no way he can know that! Unless... HE killed my father?! *Montage of several scenes of the opponent, one of which being the very same flashback* No... he DID do it! This man is dangerous! Ngh! If I don't move now, I'll be obliterated! But... I'm scared! I'm terrified, but no, I can't back down! I can't run away! It's time to face this guy head-on! I need to avenge my father! This man needs to pay for what he's done! Justice needs to be served! Once! And! For! All!"

Korra is annoying, and not because she isn't a carbon copy of Aang.

First off, I just wanna say- if you disagree, fine. I don't care. I don't want to debate whether or not Korra was a good character. She has flaws, which is good because it's realistic for humans to be flawed, but dear lord do her flaws make up her entire character! LOK was an enjoyable show, but only when Korra wasn't there. The only thing that kept me from spiraling into insanity while watching it were the other characters.

1. Y'all just don't like Korra because you see her in yourself and you hate that!
No, I don't. If anything, I resonated with Aang more- not wanting to come to terms with challenges forced upon him but completing such in the end despite. Aang also had a lot of trouble standing up for himself, and was also a vegetarian (I'm not a STRICT vegetarian, but I've spent most of my life being vegan/vegetarian! I recommend it to anyone questioning whether or not they should switch diets! Ok, anyway-). I would be lying if I said Korra and I were two completely separate people who shared absolutely nothing in common, but I honestly can't relate to her 99% of the time.

2. You just don't like Korra because she isn't Aang!
False! I liked Aang, but that doesn't mean I expect all avatar reincarnations to be him. A spunky teen who liked to brawl would be a really cool avatar, but Korra is just arrogant, and not in a cool Toph way. Most of the time, she can't even win a fight, despite having control of ALL FOUR ELEMENTS. How can someone talk that much trash, have that much power in their favor, and STILL LOSE? Toph was a badass, so confidence suited her well. Korra also lacked maturity in the worst way, was overly emotional, made terrible decisions left and right, and was too aggressive- which manifested itself in abuse, verbally AND physically. All of those factors work against her when it comes to being a likable character.

3. She got better in the end!!
No, she didn't. Any time Korra underwent "character improvement", it lasted for only the rest of the episode, if even that. By the end of the show, she was just the same old irritating avatar, but now with a girlfriend. No, being gay does not redeem you from being an awful person.

4. If Korra was a dude you would be drooling over her, but she's a girl so y'all hate her
That's a no from me! Flaws are flaws, and a male character who constantly talked crap and got his ass kicked, refused to improve as a person, and abused other people would likely get MORE hate, since there seems to be a double standard when it comes to this area (though few agree with me here). Personally, I don't care what gender someone is, I find everything listed above annoying no matter what. I like me my strong women who could crack me in half like a twig (Chahut, cough cough) but Korra just... hrghhh... she's terrorized me for an entire, what, three seasons of LOK? (To anyone wondering, my mother said we were going to finish LOK before rewatching ATLA because my sibling wanted to finish it. She hated Korra as much as I do. We shared the pain. The suffering was required if I wanted to cleanse my soul with the wholesome adventures of the Gaang. Otherwise, I would have stopped watching after the first episode.)

5. You just want a flawless character!
Bruhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
NO! Flaws make a character good!! But Korra has TOO MANY. They make up her entire character and she NEVER IMPROVES FROM THIS. That's why she's so irritating. Sometimes, flaws can even make a character more appealing, because they're relatable! Take Aang- one of his major flaws is avoiding his destiny. He's a goofy kid who doesn't want to come to terms with this- and that's relatable! He also has trouble standing up for himself- that's also a flaw that, while making up a lot of his character at the time, didn't ruin him because it didn't frustrate viewers. Plus, he got over this. Korra, again, does not get over any of her flaws.

6. Korra is good for female and bisexual representation!
NO. Being female and bi and the protagonist doesn't make you "good representation" right off the bat. That's just silly. Being a decent character who recovers from flaws and grows as a person in a believable way while also being bi and female would be good representation.

Obviously, this is all my opinion, so to all the Korra lovers I probably pissed off... do take this with a grain of salt.

Star Wars stopped being good after The Empire Strikes Back. Hasn't been a good Star Wars show since. Even Spaceballs, a parody, is better than the movies that came after.

The Twilight series sucked. Sparkly vampires? Really?

Lana Lang in Smallville sucked. Talk about a whiny brat.

I enjoy musicals. (And yes, I have noticed some people in this thread who do NOT like them. Agree to disagree?) I grew up on them.

Reality TV sucks. Utterly boring. I prefer professional actors. Soundtrack music. (I rank Reality TV a little below Game shows.)

99% of Rap isn't real music. It is just idiots cussing to make themselves try to sound cool - and failing miserably.

"Don't judge a book by its cover!"

Nah because sometimes I will choose not to pick up a book if the cover is ugly enough. Tacky covers are fine but I cannot stand the recent wave of miminal effort photoshop covers. Just do better.

Star Wars stopped being good after The Empire Strikes Back. Hasn't been a good Star Wars show since. Even Spaceballs, a parody, is better than the movies that came after.

The Twilight series sucked. Sparkly vampires? Really?

Lana Lang in Smallville sucked. Talk about a whiny brat.

I enjoy musicals. (And yes, I have noticed some people in this thread who do NOT like them. Agree to disagree?) I grew up on them.

Reality TV sucks. Utterly boring. I prefer professional actors. Soundtrack music.

99% of Rap isn't real music. It is just idiots cussing to make themselves try to sound cool - and failing miserably.
I don't think hating Twilight is all that unpopular, lol. I have encountered far more people who hate it than those who like it. Likewise with reality TV.

Really sticking my neck out with this, but...

I don't think the Star Wars sequels are that bad. Especially TFA. I'd watch TFA over Episode 2 any day, honestly. Not gonna lie, I probably will never watch Episodes 8 and 9 again.

Really sticking my neck out with this, but...

I don't think the Star Wars sequels are that bad. Especially TFA. I'd watch TFA over Episode 2 any day, honestly. Not gonna lie, I probably will never watch Episodes 8 and 9 again.
TFA was aight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back