Other Unpopular Opinions

Avante Avante , I was technically around before the "voting system" was in place on most sites, but I was really young then. Granted, people did other things to get more attention. It was a matter of the shock value of what they were talking about and how funny you were. Arguably, you can get some really fucked up dark humor back then that was actually funny. Nowadays, I don't find anything like that anymore. People were better at socializing and, while assumptions were a common theme, it wasn't that bad. Though, you do get the more "eccentric" or "lonely" people on the internet who act borderline creepy, but that's just because they need irl friends and use digital as a way to fill the void. Plus, kids were a prevalent thing back then. Though, the difference between then and now is that we didn't have kids as young as 4 playing with iPads or owning an iPhone all to themselves. When I was younger, we had a family computer I had to share with my brother and sometimes my parents and most parents were pretty good at keeping their kids from under the age of 13 from going on any sites they shouldn't be. But granted, I also had those parents who didn't mind it when I played violent video games at the age of 5. XD That was fun. Never had much of an issue with being violent and playing violent video games actually taught me to be more empathic and find better methods of letting out my frustrations and anger funnily enough. Though, I understand that this didn't work with everyone.

I do agree with you on the voting system. While I do like the "likes" and "hearts" I get on my comments, I don't much care for them. The only reason why I like or love someone's post is because I have read it. It also makes people feel like they had an idea that someone agrees with (which is mostly the case and I love hearing people's perspectives on things). The times I don't, even when I have read them, is because I don't agree with someone's thought process. No matter how detailed or short their response is, I spend time reading them and liking them as I read them so I kind remind myself that I have already read them.

While my generation was brought up in both instant gratification and long-term gratification/attrition wars depending on the parents and how much internet access and video games you were allowed to play, as that contributed heavily to how we perceive goals and rewards nowadays. Hell, even children shows started doing that recently with only a few programs ever really delving into the long-term goals that take forever but it's worth it in the end.

Everything is so simplified now and it bothers me so much. Where's the challenge?

Merciless Medic Merciless Medic

I appreciate your response! It actually helps to understand how the internet has evolved. I asked my older friends and co-workers what the internet was like back then. I think they gave a slightly different opinion, but expressed the same sentiments. It was simpler and people certainly were more open and candid with humour. The PC culture and “policing” other’s opinions without context is something of a phenomenon more recently - with “cancel” culture. So the darker humour, back then, makes sense. They also mentioned people were more creative. They cited people like Smosh or Ryan Higa who’s sketches were pretty varied and funny, despite catering to their own niche. “Challenges” and a mass upload of similar content were less common because people wanted to do their own thing.

By kids, did you mean children’s content was being monitored? Or that kids were actually enjoying childhood outside technology? I think my generation grew up connected so there’s less “playing outside” and more “playing inside” via videogames. I remember PSA being in videogames for when you’ve played too long. And I totally understand where you’re coming from. My mom pretty much bought my siblings and I, who also share a console, Call of Duty, without being worried about violence. My parents pretty much trusted us to be able to distinguish reality from fiction so we also never developed any problems in that area. It’s wild to hear kids my age who were influenced to do malicious things from “Slenderman”, if you’ve heard of this incident a few years back.

I don’t put any weight or importance into the voting system because it’s just an arbitrary feature. I imagine no amount of likes or dislikes would dissuade me from saying what I need to if I have a message to get out. On that note, I see this more with my younger cousins and it’s concerning what their anxieties are when it comes to getting “likes” in their posts. They seem to be more concerned by how they’ll get perceived versus seeing the medium (Tiktok, Youtube, etc.) as a means for sharing authentic creativity. That could also be just their own age and developmental stage, but it seems to be heightened with more pressures to participate in online activity. I saw a dwindling number of optional after school clubs as I graduated elementary school. There’s less interest in actually talking to others now. It’s bizarre how the more connected you seem online, the more awkward your personal encounters are in real life because the expectations are different. I think social anxiety is affecting more and more people now.

I haven’t thought about it as an alert system. That’s really interesting! I guess, it could certainly function as a “delivered” or “read” notification. But personally, I would rather see it removed. It levels the playing field and gives each person’s opinion equal weight so they don’t feel discouraged to post/share.

I definitely see the co-relation between shorter attention spans and goal setting. I think the idea of instant gratification is something that can be self-monitored, but even then, we’re all impervious to it because it’s a pillar of the bigger economic model and drives consumerism.

I agree, I think hard work does need to be emphasized more often. People become over night sensations and have their lives change. And now, they’re able to broadcast that moment so that more people are of the opinion that success is that easy, or rather should be that easy. It’s why motivation and life coaches grew in popularity over the years as well. But even those individuals can succumb to corruption and misuse of power.

These are strange times we’re living in. We have the same problems, but just enveloped in different forms.

Busting your ass at a job rarely ever pays off. Hard working employees give more than they should. Contrary to what every hiring manager will tell you, it is oftentimes the brown-nosing, Manager's Pet(s) that get the perks: whether it be better schedules, promotions, requested days off, etc. Oh, and let's not forget about nepotism. That shit runs rampant in my town.

To quote a certain ugly, wild-west outlaw:
"If you work for a living, why kill yourself working?"

I don’t understand why people are so obsessed with holding people accountable (and by people, I mean people over the internet whom they have never met). There’s calling someone out, but it’s not your job to hold them accountable, you’re not their parent.

people keep yelling ‘lets goooo lets fucking goooo’
well where the fuck are we going

Busting your ass at a job rarely ever pays off. Hard working employees give more than they should. Contrary to what every hiring manager will tell you, it is oftentimes the brown-nosing, Manager's Pet(s) that get the perks: whether it be better schedules, promotions, requested days off, etc. Oh, and let's not forget about nepotism. That shit runs rampant in my town.

To quote a certain ugly, wild-west outlaw:
"If you work for a living, why kill yourself working?"

Welcome to late-stage capitalism.

the people who "run the world" don't plan everything, they're just as idiotic as most humans

Every single one of our presidents have fucked up one way or another. BIg or small.
I'd rather not have any societal systems at all. Savages should be the norm. Murder? Natural if really needed. Some illegal stuff shouldn't even be considered wrong. People are just fucking morons and think the world revolves around having a family and enslaving the worlds animals, and doing shit most of our lives for paper that's absolutely meaningless in the end. Oh, and prison shouldn't exist. Neither should governments, or fucking cities.

Ok, so it's not such an unpopular opinion that the Cars franchise isn't one of Pixar's best. But what I've heard time and time again is that Cars 2 was the worst of the Cars movies. Like... what? Cars 2 was my favorite one! I haven't watched Cars 3 yet, but I get very bored watching the first movie. Cars 2 at least has more action, and I actually like the entire plot a lot. I find it much more entertaining than the first movie.

I’ve never understood the morbid/obsessive fascination with celebrities, gossip, and putting their lives on a pedestal. They’re just normal people outside of the role they play on screen. They eat, they sleep, they poop, and they breathe just like everyone else. They do all the boring things we do. Events in their lives might look different because they’re wealthy, but they all go through the same things. Not sure that’s worthy of all the attention they get, especially the super fans who stalk these people’s social media.

On the other side, just because public figures lives are being broadcasted doesn’t mean the public is privy to interfere with those individuals personal affairs, unless they are directly affected by the situation. These people are not your personal friends who you see on a daily basis, you still need to respect their boundaries. I see this line getting blurred each time and it’s just disappointing. You can be a fan of someone without having to go through the extreme.

I’ve never understood the morbid/obsessive fascination with celebrities, gossip, and putting their lives on a pedestal. They’re just normal people outside of the role they play on screen. They eat, they sleep, they poop, and they breathe just like everyone else. They do all the boring things we do. Events in their lives might look different because they’re wealthy, but they all go through the same things. Not sure that’s worthy of all the attention they get, especially the super fans who stalk these people’s social media.
Celebrities POOP?!?!
But yeah, seriously, they're just people. And I hate how politicized they have gotten now on any given issue. Since they are famous, somehow people think they have valid opinions on issues they are not any more qualified to speak on than you or I. And the fact that their fans think that these celebs DO know better, is honestly quite dangerous.

Celebrities POOP?!?!
But yeah, seriously, they're just people. And I hate how politicized they have gotten now on any given issue. Since they are famous, somehow people think they have valid opinions on issues they are not any more qualified to speak on than you or I. And the fact that their fans think that these celebs DO know better, is honestly quite dangerous.

You’re exactly right! It’s why such a high level of idolization is worrisome, imo. These people aren’t experts in the field that they talk about. They could play the part of a scientist, but they don’t have any scientific backgrounds. Moreover, people so readily side with them instead of thinking critically for themselves. This doesn’t just happen with celebrities - it extends beyond that realm. But I’d always encourage people to think for themselves first, before taking an opinion. I’d say people are too lazy to think for themselves sometimes and it’s how mob mentality and cancel/outrage culture works.

You’re exactly right! It’s why such a high level of idolization is worrisome, imo. These people aren’t experts in the field that they talk about. They could play the part of a scientist, but they don’t have any scientific backgrounds. Moreover, people so readily side with them instead of thinking critically for themselves. This doesn’t just happen with celebrities - it extends beyond that realm. But I’d always encourage people to think for themselves first, before taking an opinion. I’d say people are too lazy to think for themselves sometimes and it’s how mob mentality and cancel/outrage culture works.
LOL. Critical thinking is the antithesis of mob mentality. The other problem is that if an individual has an agenda that they follow (By that I mean any side of any social/political/economic topic that they adhere to) they will almost always just swallow any "fact", or support what they read or hear without looking into it to see how much of it is even true. The opinion bolsters their viewpoint, so they follow it without actually questioning it. It's pretty scary. You'd think that living in this day and age with a world of information at our fingertips, that the masses would be more informed. But what seems to be happening more and more, is that we just get into these convoluted circle-jerks of telling each other what we want to hear instead of looking for a truth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway... here's something that might be an unpopular opinion:

I find people to be on a certain level of useless when they can't do simple repair work to their own vehicles. I mean, anyone should be able to AT LEAST change their oil and replace the filters. It's one of the simplest things, and shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes to do all of that once you get familiar with your car. And I ESPECIALLY hate the stigma of women being particularly out-of-touch with anything automotive. It's a machine. You don't use your genitals to work on it, and learning how to fix it is just as simple as any other technical task. I hold a special disdain for other women that can't even change their own tire when they get a flat out on the road. You are literally putting yourself in a state of distress simply out of ignorance and laziness.

Last edited:
Breath of the Wild is a terrible game because of how bad the weapon system is.

Can we also talk for a second about how drastic the difficulty scale is? That’s what killed it for me. I finished off two of those animal murder bots, got as many hearts as I could, got the Master Sword and STILL got smashed to bits by those Guardian things. I put the game down a long time ago and went back to JRPGS.

My unpopular take? Give me more games like Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I want stories I can get lost in and a reward system that doesn’t leave me feeling like I’ve worked hard for nothing.

I’m not sure if it’s an unpopular opinion or if it’s just my own random weirdness. But I’d rather read the subtitles of dialogue rather than listen to songs in a musical. I usually mute what I’m watching as soon as the characters start to sing. I’m still invested in the plot/story, I just don’t need the extra theatricality in song.

I’m not sure if it’s an unpopular opinion or if it’s just my own random weirdness. But I’d rather read the subtitles of dialogue rather than listen to songs in a musical. I usually mute what I’m watching as soon as the characters start to sing. I’m still invested in the plot/story, I just don’t need the extra theatricality in song.
I've always hated Disney sing-alongs and pretty much anything that's a musical. I don't even other trying to watch em', tbh

I’ve never seen Disney musicals actually, but they count too. I was thinking something along the lines of Hamilton or Les Miserables.
My brother recommended the Sweeny Todd movie to me a long time ago. I looked it up and saw it was a musical. Instant NOPE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back