Other Unpopular Opinions

*cracks knuckles in unpopular opinion*
There's nothing inherently wrong with one-line responses in roleplays.
There IS something wrong with one-word responses.
responding to me with one-liners ICly puts ya' on the fast lane to gettin' blocked. js

*cracks knuckles in unpopular opinion*
There's nothing inherently wrong with one-line responses in roleplays.
There IS something wrong with one-word responses.

To me, it really depends on the role-player and the context.

If you’re looking for a fast-paced RP that’s just direct back and forth and a one off, one word is enough to convey meaning, especially in action sequences.

Example, Person A is leading an army towards Person B.

Person A (IC): CHARGE!

Person B (IC): Bring it!

I understand that it’s not exactly a full “picturesque” scene, but I’m sure that one word was enough to get to the point of what they’re trying to make. And it wasn’t painstakingly hard to do so. Imagine having an action sequence be narrated out to you during a movie, it detracts from the sense of urgency and the character’s gut instinct. At bear minimum, one word is enough.

Is it lazy? Sure, it is, if your preference is to really be immersed in the written “vision” of the scene.

Does it convey meaning? Yes.

Is there something inherently wrong with it? No, if it makes sense with regards to what’s happening in the RP.

Personally, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with one word responses. It doesn’t always have to be elaborate, but it’s a matter of taste. And of choosing your partners wisely.

I can't do one word or one line responses to an rp. It's worse than someone squeaking styrofoam or running nails down a chalk board. But I understand a one paragraph (6 sentences) reply. Once in a while you just get stuck.
>_<

Unpopular opinion-

I don't like doing detailed character and world building for a 1x1 rp. I like a general outline of both. If it's a good story with a person who truly then it turns out amazing. It's fun to let the world flow and grow as you develop the character. This style also takes lots of ooc communication.

I prefer the opposite. As a person who can’t OOC often, I like direct and detailed plots and characters. For me, having just general points make the process more tedious because it prolongs the process to actually starting the RP, it’s like dancing around a topic rather than actually tackling it down. I’d rather have a direction and start writing rather than doing the whole song and dance to gain a direction in OOC conversation. Most of the time, people don’t really put forth effort in plotting anyways so I’d rather lead in those terms rather than drag my feet.

Yo, I just realized this is the unpopular opinions thread for General Discussion, not the unpopular roleplay opinions. We should probably move over to that thread when talking about roleplay and writing-specific stuff.

Here's a non-RP unpopular opinion.

While I am glad that we finally have a Star Wars show that isn't all about Jedi and Sith stuff, I can't help but be a little miffed on how Disney has spun up the Mandalorians. Like, this whole thing about them hiding their faces and never taking off their helmets to anyone. I think it's stupid, and a rip-off of Boba Fett's shtick. What I mean by that, was that keeping their identity hidden was specifically a Boba Fett thing. NOT a Mandalorian thing. Mandalorians have very often been portrayed as openly showing their faces to others.

There are many instances of Mandalorians showing their faces without consequence, including (but not limited to) characters such as:
  • Jaster Mereel
  • Tor Vizla
  • Shae Vizla
  • Canderous Ordo
  • Novoc Vevut
  • Ghes Orade
  • Mirta Gev
  • Khomo Fett
  • Bo-Katan Kryze
  • and a whole bunch of NPCs/enemies in the SWtOR MMO
All of these characters have shown their faces in comic books, video games and/or movies/series, to other Mandalorians and to non-Mandalorians. Some of these instances were done under Disney ownership. So Mandos casually showing their faces has even been exemplified canonically.

This is the Way This is NOT the way.

Last edited:

While I am glad that we finally have a Star Wars show that isn't all about Jedi and Sith stuff, I can't help but be a little miffed on how Disney has spun up the Mandalorians. Like, this whole thing about them hiding their faces and never taking off their helmets to anyone. I think it's stupid, and a rip-off of Boba Fett's shtick. What I mean by that, was that keeping their identity hidden was specifically a Boba Fett thing. NOT a Mandalorian thing. Mandalorians have very often been portrayed as openly showing their faces to others.

There are many instances of Mandalorians showing their faces without consequence, including (but not limited to) characters such as:
  • Jaster Mereel
  • Tor Vizla
  • Shae Vizla
  • Canderous Ordo
  • Novoc Vevut
  • Ghes Orade
  • Mirta Gev
  • Khomo Fett
  • Bo-Katan Kryze
All of these characters have shown their faces in comic books, video games and/or movies/series, to other Mandalorians and to non-Mandalorians. Some of these instances were done under Disney ownership. So Mandos casually showing their faces has even been exemplified canonically.

My husband knows more about this subject than I do, but I think I can get this out here. While I do adore the Mandalorians and the show, something that my husband found out was this:

"The Way of the Mandalore was a religion followed by orthodox Mandalorians. The Children of the Watch were a Mandalorian group, described by Bo-Katan Kryze as a cult, who followed the Way and sought to reestablish the religion, which had since fallen out of mainstream Mandalorian society and become considered ancient by the time of the New Republic Era."

Literally ripped this from a page. But my husband suspected that "The Tribe" (as the clan wasn't called anything else, but I'm assuming this is just fanon terminology) that Din Djarin was a part of splintered off faction from Canon Death Watch, which Jango Fett was against, I believe, as they helped in killing his father (I know this is breaching Legends, but ehhhh close enough). A whole schism happened between Jaster Mereel's True Mandalorian Supercommandos and Tor Vizsla's radical Death Watch and a split happened between there that "The Tribe" was no doubtedly a part of. Though, given that Death Watch had a more barbaric code while the True Mandalorians were more about the codex and honor, I have no idea what "The Tribe" is aligned with, as they seem to be both sometimes, but mostly True Mandalorian. Which begs the question as to what happened to cause such a tightening of "not show the face".

Not sure if this made sense, and not sure how much is true or not. xD

I personally hated the face hiding though.

My husband knows more about this subject than I do, but I think I can get this out here. While I do adore the Mandalorians and the show, something that my husband found out was this:

"The Way of the Mandalore was a religion followed by orthodox Mandalorians. The Children of the Watch were a Mandalorian group, described by Bo-Katan Kryze as a cult, who followed the Way and sought to reestablish the religion, which had since fallen out of mainstream Mandalorian society and become considered ancient by the time of the New Republic Era."

Literally ripped this from a page. But my husband suspected that "The Tribe" (as the clan wasn't called anything else, but I'm assuming this is just fanon terminology) that Din Djarin was a part of splintered off faction from Canon Death Watch, which Jango Fett was against, I believe, as they helped in killing his father (I know this is breaching Legends, but ehhhh close enough). A whole schism happened between Jaster Mereel's True Mandalorian Supercommandos and Tor Vizsla's radical Death Watch and a split happened between there that "The Tribe" was no doubtedly a part of. Though, given that Death Watch had a more barbaric code while the True Mandalorians were more about the codex and honor, I have no idea what "The Tribe" is aligned with, as they seem to be both sometimes, but mostly True Mandalorian. Which begs the question as to what happened to cause such a tightening of "not show the face".

Not sure if this made sense, and not sure how much is true or not. xD

I personally hated the face hiding though.
Originally, the Mandalorians were all a specific race: The Taung. They basically held war and conquest as a religion. It wasn't until much much later that they started allowing other races into the Mandalorian dogma. Run several hundred thousand years down the line after the mandalorian wars, etc. etc. And you have the civil war of Mando factions believing in different ways to go. But between Supercommandos, DeathWatch, Neo-Crusaders, and original Mandalorians... nowhere is it ever stated that they can't show their faces.

There are six tenets the Mandalorians uphold, actually. The Resol'nare. I don't wanna go through each of them, so here's a link. Nowhere in their does it state that you need to hide your identity. You must "wear the armor". But that just means that you must wear Mandalorian armor to show that you are one of them, and also to be ever ready for a fight. This came from way back when Mandalorian armor was highly customized by the original Mandalorian Crusaders.

Someone had once suggested to me that this helmet thing is just a custom held up by Din Djarin's little group. Which may or may not be what the show is playing at. But the ambiguity of it still bothers me. Like, stop leading people on that this was a thing for Mandos across the board, ya know?

Originally, the Mandalorians were all a specific race: The Taung. They basically held war and conquest as a religion. It wasn't until much much later that they started allowing other races into the Mandalorian dogma. Run several hundred thousand years down the line after the mandalorian wars, etc. etc. And you have the civil war of Mando factions believing in different ways to go. But between Supercommandos, DeathWatch, Neo-Crusaders, and original Mandalorians... nowhere is it ever stated that they can't show their faces.

There are six tenets the Mandalorians uphold, actually. The Resol'nare. I don't wanna go through each of them, so here's a link. Nowhere in their does it state that you need to hide your identity. You must "wear the armor". But that just means that you must wear Mandalorian armor to show that you are one of them, and also to be ever ready for a fight. This came from way back when Mandalorian armor was highly customized by the original Mandalorian Crusaders.

Someone had once suggested to me that this helmet thing is just a custom held up by Din Djarin's little group. Which may or may not be what the show is playing at. But the ambiguity of it still bothers me. Like, stop leading people on that this was a thing for Mandos across the board, ya know?

Interesting. The helmet thing does sound like it is just Din's clan as a way to further hide their identities, alienate their members from the outside world like a cult, and the way they hide their ranks by using bunkers hints at them being a form of cult not accepted as a part of the Mandalorian group, but they kid themselves into thinking they are, which explains why other Mandalorians treat their ways with scorn and creates more schisms.

Honestly, this whole sociological/psychological theory I have is more interesting than the Mandalorian series. XD not gonna lie. Thank you for exercising my brain to get this far. XD

Interesting. The helmet thing does sound like it is just Din's clan as a way to further hide their identities, alienate their members from the outside world like a cult, and the way they hide their ranks by using bunkers hints at them being a form of cult not accepted as a part of the Mandalorian group, but they kid themselves into thinking they are, which explains why other Mandalorians treat their ways with scorn and creates more schisms.

Honestly, this whole sociological/psychological theory I have is more interesting than the Mandalorian series. XD not gonna lie. Thank you for exercising my brain to get this far. XD
well, after the Mandalorian wars, the clans were all splintered. Before that they were an antagonistic group that could rival the Imperials. Ultimately, it was Revan that put them down. The Mandalorians were the true badasses of ancient EU lore. And even now that they are (nearly) extinct and essentially dying out... their reputation from millennia ago still clings to them. Hiding away is actually a very UN-mandalorian thing to do. and if they really wanted to hide... the best thing to do would be to shroud their armor, not wear it blatantly. But hey, I'm just applying logic. I don't write scripts. lmao

Anyhow... I'm done geeking out. Glad I could exercise your brain. :-)

well, after the Mandalorian wars, the clans were all splintered. Before that they were an antagonistic group that could rival the Imperials. Ultimately, it was Revan that put them down. The Mandalorians were the true badasses of ancient EU lore. And even now that they are (nearly) extinct and essentially dying out... their reputation from millennia ago still clings to them. Hiding away is actually a very UN-mandalorian thing to do. and if they really wanted to hide... the best thing to do would be to shroud their armor, not wear it blatantly. But hey, I'm just applying logic. I don't write scripts. lmao

Anyhow... I'm done geeking out. Glad I could exercise your brain. :-)

It's not a clan... It's a cult!!

Anyway, yea :3 back on topic.

An unpopular opinion of mine is:
  • I hate rom-coms or literally watching anything that is live-action or doesn't have some Michael Bay explosions happening in the background.
I feel kind of bad about that, as I used to enjoy lots of movies before I became an escapist. XD I just despise a lot of movie genres (especially romance or stuff to make you feel second-hand embarrassment for 80% of the film because all of it makes me cringe) and only watch something if my husband plays it when I'm in the same room. Otherwise, I won't go out of my way to watch it.

I mostly just watch horror, action, some mild adventure, and thriller shows. A lot of crime shows as well.

Find it funny that my friends would make fun of women liking rom-coms and chick flicks (because haha funny to poke at stereotypes) and I am so far from that bias that it isn't even funny. It's like I didn't want to become the butt of their joke in 8 years time or something.

Granted, if the show doesn't have an element of mystery, sci-fi, or fantasy, I'm going to find it boring.

Unless it's Burn Notice. 'Splodies. And the plot is genuinely interesting (totally not watching it to do what the main character is explaining how to do crazy and wacky things....)

It's not a clan... It's a cult!!

Anyway, yea :3 back on topic.

An unpopular opinion of mine is:
  • I hate rom-coms or literally watching anything that is live-action or doesn't have some Michael Bay explosions happening in the background.
I agree with this lifestyle
Although for me it's mostly just the fact that I hate romance or rom-coms even though my entire vibe toward people is just romance all around

People always says I'm probably just ace for this, but romance is vile to me. People professing love, spending a copious amount of time together, holding hands and whatnot- it's so gross to me.
It's childish, but I just don't like it. In fiction I don't mind so much, even if I mostly stay away from the genre anyway, but in real life it's completely intolerable to me. Whenever I get a crush on someone who is real or someone confesses to me I get extremely upset over it and try to move past it as quick as possible.
I used to be really into romance but at some point it took a sharp turn and now I don't even like talking to people in relationships. It's all so fake and weird to me.
That's not to say I bash people who are in love or tell people how to live their lives, I couldn't care less what other people do as long as they don't hurt anyone. I just cannot handle it and don't wanna deal with it.
Hope that wasn't too unpopular lol

There's an interaction in the series that explains this. At one point some other mandalorians they meet are like
"Oh, so you were part of THAT cult?" and "something something he's part of the orthodox belief." It's literally explained through expositional dialogue in the show.

There's an interaction in the series that explains this. At one point some other mandalorians they meet are like
"Oh, so you were part of THAT cult?" and "something something he's part of the orthodox belief." It's literally explained through expositional dialogue in the show.
in truth, I haven't kept up too much on the series anymore. I saw all of season one, and only a couple from the second season. I kinda dropped out of interest to the show already. They ran that hype train too long, and it lost steam for me. Also, I'm sick of Baby Yoda.

Alright alright enough chit chat about the Mando--
1. The Good Place is actually a great show with a good ending that brings fulfillment and closure
2. I have a body odor...thing. It's less of anything sexual rather than just making me feel stuff--
It sounds weird but if you know what I'm talking about then you know.
3. I'm ugly. Yep.

Actually most people I talk to about it just think it's mediocre
I'm one of those; I really didn't find it funny nor interesting and I watched like the first season.
But this is the unpopular opinions thread and I think everyone should be allowed to like whatever they like without feeling ashamed. ^_^

I'm one of those; I really didn't find it funny nor interesting and I watched like the first season.
But this is the unpopular opinions thread and I think everyone should be allowed to like whatever they like without feeling ashamed. ^_^
And that's also the exact reason I haven't gone off on you and like 30 other people ^33^

Although this is something prevalent in social media and something I’ve been exposed and participate in, I think having a voting system (like or dislike) isn’t as encouraging as the intent behind the function would suggest. It really operates more like a subtle form of social control and most often than not a popularity contest that everyone is immediately subjected to. While the funny/witty comments rise, the ones with thought and effort often don’t get to see the light of day because it’s a lot more effort to read.

Even though it’s convenient to simply press a button, I think people are apt to share less and less of what they really think and just blend into what the hive mind because of the judgement. That, and it’s easier to press a button rather than actually put effort to delve into a discussion - whether that’s to expand on similar and/or opposing viewpoints. I guess, this is what social interaction has been reduced to.

In fact, it may even be changing people’s neural circuitry by activating the reward system, nucleus accumbens. It’s why people seem to obsess about their “likes” and “numbers”. It’s a hardwired reaction in their brains. It might explain the younger generations behaviour to adults who didn’t grow up with this technology and don’t understand why teens/yougeneration seek social validation through social media. Yet, it’s the older generation who designed the user design/interface to begin with.

For anyone who’s experienced the web before this “voting system” was implemented, what was it like, in terms of communication? Was it any better? Or more fun? Or worse? Did it stay the same? As a younger person who’s been exposed and been accustomed to this form of communication, I’d like to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back