Other Unpopular Opinions

I understand that. Still feels wrong but what could you do?

Anyways back to the actual topic...

I don't know why this seems to be an unpopular opinion... But I hate RP posts that shows you a sentence, phrase or word in another language then right next to it is the english sentence... It's just unnecessary text and just feels like you're just showing off.

Látom

I think the "LGBTQ Friendly" tag should be for 1x1 RPs. It being in non-romance group RPs seem weird to me since I always thought that allowing LGBTQ rep is a given in group RPs since it'll be wrong to gatekeep them from a group RP
It takes more than LGBT representations for something to be considered LGBT-Friendly.

My unpopular opinion is that the original intent of the thread was the original thread B)

I think the "LGBTQ Friendly" tag should be for 1x1 RPs. It being in non-romance group RPs seem weird to me since I always thought that allowing LGBTQ rep is a given in group RPs since it'll be wrong to gatekeep them from a group RP

Fun fact: a while ago there was a discussion about people using the tag. Generally speaking there were two sides:

One side said they wanted to use the tag because they felt it would make people from the LGBT community and related feel safer and more confident in going into those RPs.

The other side found the label’s intended purpose of indicating a roleplay that was accepting of LGBT characters to be redundant as we saw that as the default, while also being potentially misleading to use it because the roleplay itself wasn’t meant to be focused on LGBT themes.

Unpopular opinion 1: Books are a terrible basis on which to judge the quality of writing. The way we assess the quality of books factors in too many aspects that are irrelevant to their quality, and they are a very distinct medium from roleplaying in any form.

Unpopular opinion 2: Characters are not people, nor should the goal be to make them people. People are too complex to replicate as a character and trying to replicate the result without understanding where it comes from is a recipe for disaster. Characters should be made to be interesting and work with the narrative before anything else. And on that note...

Unpopular Opinion 3: Narrative > Realism

Unpopular Opinion 4: There is nothing subjective about the quality of art. People disagreeing on something doesn’t make that something subjective. Quality has to do with intrinsic, unchanging qualities of the art piece. I will not claim to know exactly which or to be able to assess the quality of art better than anyone else. I simply find the alternative too absurd to be true.

Unpopular Opinion 5: Research is overrated and unfeasable in roleplay. The idea that accuracy to real life is a factor in whether someone should be able to use something for a fictional element is simply unjustified and unfair at the base, as perfect accuracy is borderline if not actually impossible for even individual things, let alone every single possibility one might have to research, and any line below that is simply arbitrary.

Research is of course good and can make the writing better. However, I don’t think it is essential on any level, nor do I think the expectation that one would use it for a particular topic without specifically addressing as much in discussion is reasonable.

Unpopular Opinion 6: Complex BBcode, if made baby oneself, shows a willingness to put in work and effort into making something. It’s a positive rather than a negative. Furthermore no one who makes BBcodes has any responsibility to adjust the BBcode to the tastes of strangers they never met, especially if those strangers are unable to contact them explaining what the problem is and asking if a change could be made. (With of course awareness that if the coder does make code that people can’t read, it’s their own responsibility if people skip them over).

Unpopular Opinion 7: You shouldn’t jump on an activity just because you have a craving for it. You should advance with only if that craving is persistent enough to last past the hype.

Quality has to do with intrinsic, unchanging qualities of the art piece
The issue with that line of thought, though, is that what intrinsic, unchanging qualities affect the quality of an art piece varies a lot from person to person. Hence it is subjective.

is that what intrinsic, unchanging qualities affect the quality of an art piece varies a lot from person to person.

That statement itself is a contradiction. If it varies, it's not unchanging. If it's intrinsic, then the observer has absolutely nothing to do with it.

That statement itself is a contradiction. If it varies, it's not unchanging. If it's intrinsic, then the observer has absolutely nothing to do with it.
Then excatly what unchanging, intrinsic qualities do everyone use to judge art?

Then excatly what unchanging, intrinsic qualities do everyone use to judge art?
I have two responses to that:
1. People using something to judge art isn't what the quality of art is about. That is what I am saying. The quality of art is something that is simply part of the art itself, a characteristic is has to it. It's not that "people use this trait to judge art universally", it's that art would remain as good and bad as it is even if there was no one left to judge it.

2. As I explained I don't myself know exactly what traits define the quality of art. I simply find the idea that those traits don't exist or are subjective to be groundless and absurd.

I have two responses to that:
1. People using something to judge art isn't what the quality of art is about. That is what I am saying. The quality of art is something that is simply part of the art itself, a characteristic is has to it. It's not that "people use this trait to judge art universally", it's that art would remain as good and bad as it is even if there was no one left to judge it.

2. As I explained I don't myself know exactly what traits define the quality of art. I simply find the idea that those traits don't exist or are subjective to be groundless and absurd.
I assume you propose that there is some undiscovered framework that can be used to judge the quality of an art piece? You seem to view this as something objectively true, so such a thing should exist according to you right? You are arguing objective morality here, so I assume you are religious too?

I assume you propose that there is some undiscovered framework that can be used to judge the quality of an art piece?

Yes I suppose.

You seem to view this as something objectively true, so such a thing should exist according to you right?
Yes. If nothing else, the arguments I've been presented against it so far are at best circumstantial and circular.

You are arguing objective morality here, so I assume you are religious too?
There's a lot to unpack here, so let's make a couple things clear:
1. I wasn't arguing morality. Morality was never brought up, at least pertaining to the matter of art.

2. You are however, accurate in saying both that I believe in objective morality and am religious. Neither necessitates the other, nor is my belief in either based on the other.

Yes I suppose.

Yes. If nothing else, the arguments I've been presented against it so far are at best circumstantial and circular.

There's a lot to unpack here, so let's make a couple things clear:
1. I wasn't arguing morality. Morality was never brought up, at least pertaining to the matter of art.

2. You are however, accurate in saying both that I believe in objective morality and am religious. Neither necessitates the other, nor is my belief in either based on the other.
Well, I believe it would be very unlikely for someone to believe in objective quality and not some other form of objectivity that can't exactly be confirmed, for example, objective morality, since you thoughts on art seem articulated enough for you to have thought it through for some time. Cheers for the clarification and engagement, not that I agree of course, but that is what this thread is for. Whether quality is intertwined with morality or not would probably be the main attack on your interpretation I suppose.

Well, I believe it would be very unlikely for someone to believe in objective quality and not some other form of objectivity that can't exactly be confirmed, for example, objective morality, since you thoughts on art seem articulated enough for you to have thought it through for some time. Cheers for the clarification and engagement, not that I agree of course, but that is what this thread is for. Whether quality is intertwined with morality or not would probably be the main attack on your interpretation I suppose.
I mean, yeah my reasons for believing in objective morality and in objective art quality have similar basis but they are unrelated. I don't believe art is intertwinned with morality, in fact I rather believe the opposite. Even if, for the sake of argument, we were to say it was a connection though, the "attack" would still have to prove the subjectivity of at least one.

Nonetheless, like with everything I default to the null hypothesis when the arguments depend on the assumption of the initial premise to hold up.

Nonetheless, while I am happy to engage in discussion with anyone who wants and is civil about it, I won't press the matter further if you don't want it. Like you said, we are free to disagree.

I hope you have a great day or night.

I don't throw shade on anyone, but I will join in and said that think asking for role play samples is very obnoxious and annoying. Unless you are some literature major or a language major it is annoying if you want to judge someone else's ability to write and have fun, and whoever came up with this concept should really rethink what they want in role play to be, because it is fun and not a job.

Second thing, and it is a bit more of a personal experience, but it seems like role play is full of grammar nazis, and that makes it less fun to try and find anyone who wants to role play now. Not just in english, I see it happen too in my native language.

I always see it more as checking the style rather than the level/ ability. I prefer to write in paragraph style and I also prefer to write with others who write in a similar way. You might not have as fun if your writing styles don't match (and if it's something that matters to you). So, I think it's less about skill level and more just like hey, do you play the same way as I do? Oh, awesome! Let's play together. And less "you're not good enough for me" lol.

I agree with you on that one, I always went with the same concept. I normally try to give everyone a chance at role-playing with me to see if we have a writing style that matches and if it, not the case then I part with the person on a nice level.

I just think on a personal level that it is a bit rude to ask for a writing sample fx if you are shy about writing like I am, I am a bit scared of being judged on my writing at times.

But I completely agree that is a personal preference.

- Coke and Pepsi are both equally bad to me. I would much rather drink anything else...

- Too much BBC code freaks me out tbh
It's still really beautiful/nice, obviously, but I always feel like I'm going to screw up the code somehow and it'll all just go wrong or something,,,, Also it can be hard to read sometimes

- I would have liked to see the Sonic movie with the original Awful Sonic tm
Not because he looked better ofc, but because it would have been hilarious to see him for the length of an entire movie

- Battle Royale games don't feel that fun to me,,,

- Glowing PC parts are pretty, but really unnecessary

- People who say 'Love yourself before you love another' are just wrong. I learned to love myself because of my boyfriend!

- If you can't handle the idea that your child might be trans/nonbinary/gay/bi etc. when they're older, you shouldn't be having kids

- Slugs get suck a bad rap guys, everyone loves snails but slugs are literally snails without the shell. Slugs = snails.

- SPONGEBOB DOES NOT MAKE YOU STUPID, MMMKAY?

Anyway

That's my rant for the day

Thanks for listening lol

gender theory is pseudoscience

apparently a teacher told this to my friends class, and my friend agrees - thought it belonged here

Very few people are actually for absolute free speech. Even most free speech advocates still want to see censorship of viewpoints they deem to be "hate speech".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back