Other Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
DC is better than Marvel.

Speaking of which, why in shows like Supergirl and The Flash have they changed two redheaded characters (Jimmy Olsen and Wally West black). I mean I get appropriation and all but are we cancelling redheads now? At least Marvel created more black characters instead of having to change the race of established characters.

Odd how sudden that seemed to hit too.... or maybe it’s just me.

Tbh I don't even know when it started! I just started seeing more and more people saying how much they love anime and at first I was like, "Ayye, yeah! Be yourself and show what you love!" but then this trend of girls in mini skirts with Black Butler tops started appearing and I was like, "Waiiit... Hold on..." and then it just went full on e-girls. E-girls everywhere and some of them I knew from high school who would tell me I was weird for watching Devil May Cry at lunch time are now sporting Sailor Moon tops and hairpins. Like didn't ya'll laugh at me when I did the Lucky Star dance routine with my friends outside? Or when we'd talk about Sailor Saturn's apathetic mood?

Like it just took a 180 and it's great anime is getting recognition instead of being frowned upon like it used to be, but at least be honest about your hypocritical nature.

Tbh I don't even know when it started! I just started seeing more and more people saying how much they love anime and at first I was like, "Ayye, yeah! Be yourself and show what you love!" but then this trend of girls in mini skirts with Black Butler tops started appearing and I was like, "Waiiit... Hold on..." and then it just went full on e-girls. E-girls everywhere and some of them I knew from high school who would tell me I was weird for watching Devil May Cry at lunch time are now sporting Sailor Moon tops and hairpins. Like didn't ya'll laugh at me when I did the Lucky Star dance routine with my friends outside? Or when we'd talk about Sailor Saturn's apathetic mood?

Like it just took a 180 and it's great anime is getting recognition instead of being frowned upon like it used to be, but at least be honest about your hypocritical nature.
Maybe that’s why it felt so sudden to me, I just recall far less people around liking anime and it becoming more trendy then it once was as a 90’s kid. But yeah, great to see anime being given more recognition and all, just seems odd how it’s taken that turn in the last decade alone.

Think I've said this before, but I saw a vampire discussion sooooo I like Vampires, but I hate... most modern vampires. To me, Vampires are meant to be monsters. That does not, nor should it, mean they have to be ugly [Honestly, I'd argue being good looking would be a better hunting strategy]. But these are creatures that used to be human and now feed on humans. Vampires should struggle with that inner beast, that monster, that vampirism, the thing that tells them to feed and feed, that makes them see humans not as a fellow sapient being but as prey. There should be an insane internal struggle to cling on to whatever scraps of humanity remain especially as they become more and more detached from it.

If you just want to play a super good looking, ageless being who is better at almost everything... play an Elf. Because hate to be the one that points it out, but most modern vampires are just Elves with a vore kink.

Speaking of which, why in shows like Supergirl and The Flash have they changed two redheaded characters (Jimmy Olsen and Wally West black). I mean I get appropriation and all but are we cancelling redheads now? At least Marvel created more black characters instead of having to change the race of established characters.

They did keep Ralph as a redhead! Too bad his actor turned out to be... less than ideal.

re: changing race -- well, no one complained about Dean Cain playing Superman.

It's a TV adaptation. Frankly, whoever's best for the role should get the role. I had no idea who Smallville might cast going in, but now I can't imagine anyone but Phil Morris playing J'onn in that 'verse, frex.

I think this mentality is pretty toxic though. People can change their views all the time and I think being open about what you like is a positive thing. I don't think people should be hateful towards others for changing their opinion to something "better", like, you shouldn't shame someone for having been racist if they change their behaviour, or at least I wouldn't.

I think this mentality is pretty toxic though. People can change their views all the time and I think being open about what you like is a positive thing. I don't think people should be hateful towards others for changing their opinion to something "better", like, you shouldn't shame someone for having been racist if they change their behaviour, or at least I wouldn't.
True, being open about what you like is awesome and people do change their opinions on different topics, being honest about all of the above is however also important. Bullying, hating on others for what they like then liking it for yourself yet not being honest about past actions and views is more so what is being brought up. It’s really not about retaliation against those people who once hated on you for something but the lack of honesty and owning up to past actions that is like a slap in the face on top of the past actions/views. No, people shouldn’t be hateful towards others, I agree, but those who were hateful in the past shouldn’t be hating either and should just be open about it. Forgetting and overlooking history isn’t changing it.

True, being open about what you like is awesome and people do change their opinions on different topics, being honest about all of the above is however also important. Bullying, hating on others for what they like then liking it for yourself yet not being honest about past actions and views is more so what is being brought up. It’s really not about retaliation against those people who once hated on you for something but the lack of honesty and owning up to past actions that is like a slap in the face on top of the past actions/views. No, people shouldn’t be hateful towards others, I agree, but those who were hateful in the past shouldn’t be hating either and should just be open about it. Forgetting and overlooking history isn’t changing it.
I guess the debate lies in whether they should "announce" that their opinion has changed and excuse their past actions or they should just go on without making a big deal out of it. Personally, I'm for the latter, as this rule isn't really enforceable on everything in your life. I totally see the frustration in having an interest and everyone seemingly copying it to be trendy, but I don't think spite gets us very far.

Ohh some more I forgot to put down:

Anyone, and I mean anyone, who sits there and has such strong convictions in their beliefs that they think future generations will not only follow their exact same moral values but that anyone who disagreed will be vilified is an asshole. The sheer amount of arrogance needed to actually believe that is staggering. Like.. what? Are you levitating above the rest of us mortals as your divine wisdom is surely the only way humans could possibly advance in the future for, surely, to do otherwise is wrong so sayeth I, King of the Assholes. We have no idea what is going to happen in the next ten years, the next twenty, the next one hundred. Look at the sheer cultural change and drift in just the last 50 years. While there has been some remaining constants, even those don't escape unaltered. WW3 could happen, the magnetic poles could shift bathing the world in the suns hot, fiery love, one of the dormant super volcanoes can erupt, humans could develop something entirely different driven by things we can't imagine, so how can anyone possibly think their values are the only true values and will, surely, be carried on forever and anyone who ever believed the opposite will be looked upon as monsters? Like... if you, and yes, I mean you at your keyboard or on your phone, really believe that, you need to sit down and rethink your life.

Cultural appropriation is stupid. Cultures are meant, and have always, learned from one another. They steal, they borrow, they transform, they merge, they evolve. That is what they do because that is what humans do. Trying to limit that and say, 'Nope, that one is dominate so it can't take from the other one,' is beyond dumb. Like if dumb were your desk, it'd be somewhere over the horizon. You aren't protecting jack shit, you aren't fighting oppression or taking down racism because, this may shock anyone who believes its bad, you don't fight bigotry by putting up walls between people. You fight them by tearing them down. You encourage people to mingle, you encourage cultures to learn from one another, to grow, to advance, for people to be able to form bonds over shared values and interest. This is how it has always been, this is how it will always be, sitting there going, 'But no, you can't like.. open a burrito shop, you're not Hispanic' isn't defending anything. You're just making an ass of yourself.

Going from that, Cultures are not all inherently valuable. Now this is a personal opinion as the entire idea of culture is kind of a human construct so any value we place on them, or value compared to others, is ultimately subjective, but some cultures should die in a fire and never be brought back. Yes, I see you there keyboard warrior about to tell me what for, but should Nazi Germany's culture have been preserved and allowed to prosper? No. Now, you can call that an extreme example but the moment we can admit one culture is inferior.. that, by default, means they are not equal. Modern day USA's culture is superior to 1920's USA culture. Or 1861's USA. So, yes, cultures are not created equal. Some are better then others, and its good they can learn from one another to continue to grow to suit the modern people that live within them.

You can dislike something and not be a bigot. I hate this so much. Captain Marvel was a 'Meh' movie for me. It wasn't bad, it was a Marvel movie.. but it also wasn't good. It just kinda exist. Like Thor 2 or Ironman 2. Not good. Not bad. Kinda struggle to remember much about it. It exist. This doesn't mean I hate women or empowered women, just means I looked at the movie and thought, 'Meh'. The Last of Us 2 isn't a good story. Its a 'cycle of revenge' trope and not a good one. It was less a cohesive story and more one guy's ego unbound and unleashed with no one to go, 'Yo, that is dumb, how about we not do that or change this scene to not just have it be her one uping her insecurity with her own..?' There is a 8 minute animated short film about ninja cats that did a better job showing the cycle of revenge then the Last of Us 2 did [Which makes it seem like I am downplaying it, but the animated video is hella good]. I thought the game was just.. bad. Like indie oscar bait film bad. I, and people, are allowed to dislike things on their own merits without it being a demonization of something unrelated. Shouting 'Transphobe' is about as cringe-worthy as the unskippable sex scene that game forced upon the world. Now, I know there are some people out there who are transphobes and that was an issue, just like I know there are people that 'like' TLOU 2 because it pushes a narrative they like and that is all they really care about and so are willing to overlook the faults [I get it, truly, I do. I like shit things because I like the premise or a character all the time. ]

I never said be hateful and I never said people's views can't change. I said be honest about your hypocritical nature i.e at least address that one point you weren't very nice to the anime community. Apologize for bullying people and now maybe liking the same things. And I say maybe because it's hard to tell if they actually like/watch the anime in question or if they're simply using it for clicks. Either way I don't care, but at least admit when you were not such a great human to other's instead of glossing over it because what you said actually effected people.

When I realized some things were racist, I made sure I let people know I have grown from the things I didn't realize before. It's important to address the harm you cause others and it's a part of growing.

Edit: to further explain the issue I was getting at, this statement isn't for people who weren't into anime and then started liking it now that it's trending. This statement was for people who shamed others for liking it, purposely excluded them and bullied them AND THEN began liking anime when it became trendy. The statement hinges on the bullying aspect and then the uno reversal switch people pulled.

Last edited:
I guess the debate lies in whether they should "announce" that their opinion has changed and excuse their past actions or they should just go on without making a big deal out of it. Personally, I'm for the latter, as this rule isn't really enforceable on everything in your life. I totally see the frustration in having an interest and everyone seemingly copying it to be trendy, but I don't think spite gets us very far.
It’s more experience based not everyone announcing anything.... It’s not about spite, it’s more keep it real and being a two way street over the course of it’s history and what all it may have entailed or in some cases physical harm that could have resulted from it. This can also go beyond just liking anime or anything else, it plays into many different aspects of history And life in general. However I am drifting off the topic at hand and purpose of this thread, so I shall end it here.

I must admit, I thought sim's sarcasm was painfully obvious from the beginning.
I doubt he's sarcastic since none of the other opinions mentioned are sarcastic, and he also liked a comment that was more or less "western culture is superior" which seems his general opinion on things. Don't let people off like that.

I doubt he's sarcastic since none of the other opinions mentioned are sarcastic, and he also liked a comment that was more or less "western culture is superior" which seems his general opinion on things. Don't let people off like that.

Even if it isn't sarcasm, this a thread for unpopular opinions. Not every opinion is going to be agreeable.

The timeloop in Avengers: Endgame made perfect sense within the context of the film.

Even if it didn't, "That's a baby" would have saved the whole movie, all on its' own.

Being offended doesn't mean that someone is right.
True. It also doesn't mean that that hypothetical someone is necessarily wrong, though. Way too many people act like reacting emotionally somehow means you've lost the argument when you, in fact, can be very angry and very right at the same time.

Personally, I'd rather date women who have their hair intact, and I think body hair removal needs to become a dying trend for the psychological well-being of the human species.

When discussing any topic I vehemently believe that one must put their emotions apart and use solely logic in order to formulate your arguments. Indeed, feelings and emotion, opposed to what one would think, are essential in order to formulate logical conclusions (like described in António Damásio's "Descartes' Error"), however, if used during the actual discourse, it can lead to sophismes and, specifically, to ad hominem attacks and other unpleasant experiences, but also misinterpretation and jumping to conclusions.

In fact, from the moment someone expresses such anger in a non rational way, from the moment someone borderlines misinterpretation or sophismes (specifically ad hominem ones), the argument loses its meaning, as all parts are not working efficiently in order to reach a conclusion.

You are free to think whatever you want, obviously. I don't agree, though. When discussing controversial topics - especially topics that are related to people's lives - many of them won't treat it like a debate exercise. They will get angry because, for them, this isn't something abstract. It's their lived reality. To dismiss their opinions just because they happen to be passionate about the topic in a way you don't approve of is short-sighted, I think. (And I also think that focusing on their tone, rather than on the argument itself, is kind of petty.)

So, my unpopular opinion, I guess: I don't actually mind ad hominems and such unless it's the only thing that's being said. Discussions spark emotions, and that's okay.

Discussions spark emotions, and that's okay.

*points up* This.

Being an Interrupting Fish to add on that, if you're in a debate/disagreement to change the other person's opinion, understanding why that other person might be reacting emotionally is a big plus.

Like Syntra says, for many people, these topics are lived experiences that affect them deeply.

If someone else wants to come in and give a counter-arguement, they have to acknowledge the lived experiences of their debate partner, or they themselves are making a bad argument.

I want everyone to know that none of what I say/have said is never said with the intention of offending, diminishing, oppressing or silence anyone. Nor do I do so for the sake of drama. But apparently, no matter how hard I try, one way or another, things just go down that path. I am not saying that the previous posts are drama, but still, I am anticipating future outcomes. Again, I don't want to spread negativity, and I truly believe that this should be said previously. I honestly, don't want to be that problematic user, you know? My opinions are based on the best reasoning that I have at the moment, and obviously, such reasoning isn't perfect. In fact, it is far from perfect. I cannot emphasise this enough, but I don't really want to be problematic nor disrespectful, and I hope everybody understands that.

You are free to think whatever you want, obviously. I don't agree, though. When discussing controversial topics - especially topics that are related to people's lives - many of them won't treat it like a debate exercise. They will get angry because, for them, this isn't something abstract. It's their lived reality. To dismiss their opinions just because they happen to be passionate about the topic in a way you don't approve of is short-sighted, I think. (And I also think that focusing on their tone, rather than on the argument itself, is kind of petty.)

So, my unpopular opinion, I guess: I don't actually mind ad hominems and such unless it's the only thing that's being said. Discussions spark emotions, and that's okay.
Honestly, I think that there is no possible common ground between our opinions, so I decided to go for an "agree to disagree", hence the fact that I was thinking of terminating the debate between ourselves here, especially because our premises are, in fact, about how to establish such debating communication, therefore, I think that any efforts of explaining further our points of view to each other will prove to be fruitless. Still, as a new argument was added, and, as initially the argument didn't exactly address the specific topic that I wanted to convey, I thought it may be necessary some sort of explanation. Plus, there is also an issue that I'd like to address, that is, in fact, not connected to the original premise.

Different topics will cause different emotions to different people, depending on the discussed thematic. And depending on those emotions (but most important, facts), people will reach different conclusions, that they present under the form of arguments. However, when discussing, being offended, angry and aggressive towards the other debate participants is just not right. But that isn't exactly close to the point of what I wanted to say with my first post and I'll elaborate on that further.
In fact, on my first post, I wanted to say that becoming offended over an argument does not give the victory automatically to the offended person during a discussion, as their feelings are not a substitute of a reasonable explanation. In fact, it is rather sad to see things like this represented on national television, and what motivated me to actually share this unpopular opinion was the fact that this happens so frequently on our Parliament. And what should be a debate over important topics turns out to be a blaming game, that is what happens when people get carried away with personal feelings during discussions. In fact, giving the victory to the ones that are offended all the time is, in my point of view, a big problem that comes with political correctness.

On being offended/offending other people during arguments: offending anyone, being during an argument or not, even with some sort of factual background, is simply not morally right. With this, I am not claiming that my moral compass is better than anyone's else, but I believe we can all agree that insulting, humiliating and diminishing people because of their opinions is simply wrong. There are some opinions that are, indeed, worth of being repressed, because they are objectively bad (and, indeed, I acknowledge that there are certain systems of morality and that subjective morality is a thing), but even if it is the case, I'd still prefer to see a clean and respectful debate. The key concept when it comes to debating is "respect" because no one can debate in an environment where they know that they will be humiliated and insulted.
Insulting someone when arguing with them is one of the most disrespectful and undemocratic thing ever. Being aggressive and insulting someone just because they have a very different opinion than yours is never correct. Being disrespectful and having a "fuck you all, you're all stupid" type of attitude during debating is, in fact, also rather childish, even if a structured argument is added over that. It is breaking one's integrity, and that is never acceptable, and I believe one loses their reason when doing so. Just as it is never justified to beat down someone. One's integrity is not only physical. You're justifying breaking one's integrity because of emotions. Imagine what it would look like if my anger made me beat down everyone that I was mad with. Ad hominem over anger is just the same thing, but with words.

With this, I am not attacking the person that I am quoting, and I want to make that very clear. These adjectives I mentioned above do not apply to said member, as I don't have any type of complaint that would justify such and I think that, at least, our debating has been rather pacific, yet assertive, just as it should be. Even though I am expecting some sort of ad hominem comment coming, not from this member, but, from my personal experiences, from someone, somewhere. Maybe this is me being paranoid, but well, this is the internet, and we already know how it works.

This will definitely escalate quickly, I suppose, so I want to reiterate that I am not open to further discussion on the topic, as I already shared my unpopular opinion, that seemed, indeed, to be rather unpopular, and I don't want to create any further drama as well. As I have been saying, I don't want to be your problematic user, and I am not here to induce conflicts. I definitely understood your point, and I believe that you understood mine. Agree to disagree.
*points up* This.

Being an Interrupting Fish to add on that, if you're in a debate/disagreement to change the other person's opinion, understanding why that other person might be reacting emotionally is a big plus.

Like Syntra says, for many people, these topics are lived experiences that affect them deeply.

If someone else wants to come in and give a counter-arguement, they have to acknowledge the lived experiences of their debate partner, or they themselves are making a bad argument.
I can agree with this statement to a certain degree, but still, I don't think it applies to arguments, but rather to public speech. When addressing an audience, the speaker must find harmony between ethos, pathos and logos, and often, in order to do so, some speakers often use informal fallacies. And one of them precisely is the ad hominem one, so, indeed, using such in arguments is, indeed, an informal fallacy. Another informal fallacy that you mentioned is the appeal to emotion, which basically consists of understanding why the audience is reacting emotionally to something and why they are doing so, and using that in order to manipulate their opinion. In fact, this last resource is rather used by populist politicians, for example, and the influence that they can have on their followers is simply huge, just by manipulating them emotionally.

This, as stated, gives politicians great power, and it can lead to disastrous things. And, in fact, according to philosophic logic, it makes their arguments invalid. So, whereas that is widely spread across the politic field, oddly enough, from a philosophic point of view (that is the one that must be regarded if we search for "scientific" accuracy), sophisms are wrong.

Arguing on the internet is usually a fruitless thing, and, honestly, I am not here trying to change anyone's opinion nor attacking anyone. I just don't want people to see this as drama, and I believe that it was absolutely necessary to induce others not to spread hate towards people who are discussing things that they think that are important. Seriously, insulting people is almost never correct, and I really want to emphasise that. Be nice to each other, and don't insult others just because some opinions might be different: in some cases, such people might be uninformed about that topic and being comprehensive and trying to educate those individuals is always worth a try. If they are close-minded enough in order to insult others that try to do so, then I understand why insulting people might come into play, but otherwise, it only just adds hatred into everything.

Last edited:
Another informal fallacy that you mentioned is the appeal to emotion, which basically consists of understanding why the audience is reacting emotionally to something and why they are doing so, and using that in order to manipulate their opinion. In fact, this last resource is rather used by populist politicians, for example, and the influence that they can have on their followers is simply huge, just by manipulating them emotionally.

Appeal to Emotion is only a Fallacy if it's being used in place of facts and evidence. I never suggested this should be the case.

My only point was that an informed partner (in an argument or debate) should include any emotionally-laden contention points of their opponent in their Box O' Knowledge, as it leads to better discussions/arguments/etc. And knowingly omitting those emotional contention points would be the same as knowingly omitting any other fact from an argument. Just because it affects one side disproportionately does not make it invalid.

As to the rest of it, including the implications that even considering emotional investment is somehow allowing the proverbial rise of The Red Skull... look, man, I ain't touchin' that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back