Other Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a difficult concept to wrap your head around in american (and western) society, i definitely understand that. but i will say this, as a nonbinary individual: i and many other nonbinary folks don't necessarily need you or others to understand our gender identities, but we do demand respect like any other human beings. just because folks don't specifically understand us doesn't mean they can ridicule us, pick us apart, or act as if we don't exist yknow what i mean?

Well, I'm certainly not trying to justify picking on anyone. I was just being honest and stating it's difficult for me to comprehend.

This has been brought up previously, but it was a little while ago, therefore I'd like to remind you all that this is an unpopular opinions thread. This thread is not for debates and disagreements.

If you do not agree with someone then simply ignore them (whether that means using the literal ignore feature or simply scrolling past) and move on.

If you do feel the need to discuss someone else's post further then please take it to PM's so as not to derail the intent of the thread.

Unpopular opinion but I feel like it’s really hard to figure out what the Staff considers “intolerance” or “harassment” or whatever they called it in the Rules.

Because I see people trampling all over marginalized communities. So it’s like okay if THIS isn’t hateful speach than what is exactly?

At what point do things cross the line? It’s not when feelings get hurt cuz they crossed that line awhile back. Is it just when they use a cuss? Is it when they derail a thread? Is it when they dox someone? Like what am I supposed to be looking for to ensure people aren’t being discriminated against on this site?

(And maybe it’s just cuz I am someone who does best with PSA type things. These are specific examples of not acceptable posts, if you see report)

I dunno this could be just a me problem (hence the unpopular opinion) but it’s something I see popping up more and more.

As staff, we are not here to silence our users. This is an unpopular opinions thread after all.
There is a difference between an opinion and hate speech.

If someone were to start being hateful about their opinions, or start targeting people then yes, we would step in. But an opinion can be unpopular, misinformed, misunderstood without it being hateful. Thus far there has been no such hate speech, no-one has specifically been targeted. When there is, it's handled accordingly and it's handled privately.

As mentioned before, if you don't agree then simply move past it.

Otherwise, if you're still concerned about how the staff have been handling certain topics, the please do feel free to discuss it further with us in Staff Contact. We would love to discuss and help ease any concerns.

Okay so, this thread is definitely something. We've been talking about it all day as a staff and we've talked about it plenty of other times as well for different issues over the past few months. We have had a few people already take PanOtterPus PanOtterPus ' offer to contact us in Staff Contact to discuss the situation with us, but unfortunately, most people won't do that, so I have to reply here.

Before I begin talking about this thread, I must remind everyone:

RpNation is and will always be a safe space, I am gay myself and I will not tolerate any homophobia or transphobia, but this is not it fam.

My inbox is always open to anyone who wants to discuss gay things with me (I just finished she-ra yesterday, I'm waiting to geek out with someone about that. Also Scorpia is best Cinnabon).

However back to the topic of this thread, this is an Unpopular Opinions thread, and there are some things that have been said in the past that we have definitely acted on that are against RpN's rules, but this has not come up yet. At worst, the trans opinions mentioned are misinformed and any mentions of backing about science are ignorant, I mean, after all, Gender Dysphoria exists. We should use our energy to educate and love people, not attack them when they show a differing opinion. This goes for anything said in here, not just today's comments. After discussing it for hours, we will not be currently closing or deleting any of the comments as they do not violate our rules. You are welcome to continue to report any comments posted here and we will continue evaluating them, you are also welcome to place other users on your ignore list.

As a writing site, we are trying to accommodate discussions of all types as long as it doesn't break any of our rules. Saying that other genders are not real is not the same as saying all trans people should be killed. Another example is: People are allowed to express how much they do not like the current President of America. What we will not tolerate is people directing death threats to the president or other active politicians.

I have to remind you all of our respect rule:
Certain topics may be uncomfortable to some and should a polite request to end or switch topics happen, this request should be respected. This is allowable should the subject of the thread begin to go off-topic, become disrespectful, or volatile. It is not to be used to force others to shut down a conversation, but to keep to the topic in a respectful manner. Topics can include but are not limited to: sexuality, gender identity, religion, politics, philosophy, ideology, theology, or trigger topics (e.g. murder, sex, drug addiction). If requested to end or switch topics, users have the option to continue elsewhere; such as private messages.

Please familiarize your self with it and the rest of our community rules and guidelines here. This is why the site has not had a current event or political section in years, people could just not handle differing opinions or handle anything with kindness or love or we just had people talk about how nazis were great. (If you actually are a nazi, the door is right there, don't let it hit you on the way out). If someone still feels really strongly about this, please do feel free to create resources in the appropriate sections on how to treat/roleplay as LGBTQ+ characters, I feel like we can all benefit from that.

IDC if this is unpopular, I just felt like unloading some stuff ; D

- It should be socially acceptable for men to wear skirts, make up, colored nails, etc

- men should be sexualised more

- it's rly easy to tell when a female character was written by a dude who has no idea that women are human beings

- being feminine, in touch with your inner femininity, is a wonderful thing and no one should be shamed for it. Being called girly is a God Damn compliment

- moe submissive big eyed big boobed anime girls are annoying and gross caricatures and any 20+ year old who likes that kinda thing is a weirdo

- America is terrifying

- heterosexual romances between two conventionally attractive white people that are thrown into the subplot of a movie just because are booooooringggg

- movies shouldn't have *ahem* scenes unless they contribute to the plot or reveal something meaningful about the characters

- retail workers should be able to politely tell rude customers to fuck off instead of kissing ass just to keep their jobs

- just because someone turned 18 doesn't mean they are magically a full-fledged functioning adult

- cats and dogs are both amazing and full of love in different equally amazing ways

- broccoli is T H E B E S T if you disagree you probably don't know how to prepare it properly

- "edgy" "ironic" black humour like "Hitler was right" is stupid... There's legit people out there who actually BELIEVE such things to be true, and it's not funny, it's just sad

RpN Light theme is better than Dark theme. ^33^
I gave this a 'love' react initially because I read it incorrectly as 'Dark theme is better than Light theme' (the only right answer), and I will not apologize for taking back my love react.

Unpopular opinion: labels in general are unnecessary. Why should I, or anyone, have to pare our identity down to a set of terms that have preconceived notions attached to them? Beyond medical instances where knowing what parts a person has is necessary for health reasons, the focus on 'I'm this' or 'I'm that' does more harm than good. It creates divisions between people and encourages a focus on what box someone fits into, rather than who the person actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back