Other Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arizona. I'll find a way to try some kind of Curry.
It's not hard to make if you can get certain ingredients, such as:
Cumin
Tumeric
Coriander
Grama lasa (something like that anyways, I can't be bothered to go down and check)
Coconut milk
Canned Chopped tomatoes
Diced meat, preferably beef, lamb or chicken.

There's plenty of recipes for the different ones online :)

It's not hard to make if you can get certain ingredients, such as:
Cumin
Tumeric
Coriander
Grama lasa (something like that anyways, I can't be bothered to go down and check)
Coconut milk
Canned Chopped tomatoes
Diced meat, preferably beef, lamb or chicken.

There's plenty of recipes for the different ones online :)
Thank you, I'll do some research on 'em and pick a curry that I'll like.

I think the USS Long-Beach was one of the most majestic ships afloat and not enough people appreciate her and her beauty.

USS_Long_Beach_%28CGN-9%29_underway_at_sea%2C_circa_in_the_1960s.jpg

I think the USS Long-Beach was one of the most majestic ships afloat and not enough people appreciate her and her beauty.

Wow, I've never seen any kind of ship like it! Makes me wonder if they'll make a model similar to it.

Wow, I've never seen any kind of ship like it! Makes me wonder if they'll make a model similar to it.

The basic history of the ship is that it was a twice-experimental cruiser design, both in the fact it was a member of the "Nuclear Navy", a concept that every ship in the United States Navy should be powered by a full-blown nuclear reactor wherever possible; letting every ship in the fleet(s) have unlimited cruising range during their operating lifetime, only being constrained by factors like munitions and food, able to disregard the need for fuel. Furthermore, the ship was using the latest in a variety of radar technology, of course, oversized and not quite efficient, thus the big box-like bridge. It served its purpose in conflicts like the Vietnam war and was the rare type of ship to not rely on an actual cannon of some description in its armament plan, relying entirely on missiles for primary offensive power. The sole cannon on the ship was only for secondary duties like shore bombardment.

Only one ship of the class was built, and the 'Fully Nuclear Navy' concept never fully materialized; even though the Long Beach had many nuclear-powered descendants, eventually, nuclear power was deemed simply unsuitable for vessels that didn't absolutely require their specific advantages, such as the modern aircraft carrier; being too hard to maintain for standard fighting ships.

RIP box-kun, you will be missed.

EDIT(S): lots of edits, I got info wrong.

The basic history of the ship is that it was a twice-experimental cruiser design, both in the fact it was a member of the "Nuclear Navy", a concept that every ship in the United States Navy should be powered by a full-blown nuclear reactor wherever possible; letting every ship in the fleet(s) have unlimited cruising range during their operating lifetime, only being constrained by factors like munitions and food, able to disregard the need for fuel. Furthermore, the ship was using the latest in a variety of radar technology, of course, oversized and not quite efficient, thus the big box-like bridge. It served its purpose in conflicts like the Vietnam war and was the rare type of ship to not rely on an actual cannon of some description in its armament plan, relying entirely on missiles for primary offensive power. The sole cannon on the ship was only for secondary duties like shore bombardment.

Only one ship of the class was built, and the 'Fully Nuclear Navy' concept never fully materialized; even though the Long Beach had many nuclear-powered descendants, eventually, nuclear power was deemed simply unsuitable for vessels that didn't absolutely require their specific advantages, such as the modern aircraft carrier; being too hard to maintain for standard fighting ships.

RIP box-kun, you will be missed.

EDIT(S): lots of edits, I got info wrong.
An interesting ship with a captivating backstory. Thank you for introducing me to this new ship.

This is more so a discussion piece, but even if not I'll just sort of leave a basic, and at times vague concept and my opinions thereof.

There needs to be more and better response mechanics, damage bodies, Weapon feedback, and gore in video games. One of my issues with it is a game acts or is proclaimed under a more "hardcore" lense, yet think a giant blood puff, a blown off leg, and a guy going "Yeeeeeeeebuggah!" Is a proper system somehow. The only thing modern that gets anything right is Verdun, RDR2, and Sons of Fortune 2.

Bullet sponges suck, and the only logical application of one is when taking on a guy in PA from fallout, because that's the entire point. It's not fun, and nobody cares to innovate the premise. You can literally have a "boss" fight but they could still did from a good enough round to the forehead. One concept is the idea of a "smart" AI. It is more akin to spam, but they alter the environment and can pathfind through the current environment the battle is happening. This would give a player a challenge as say, vending machines get flipped over for cover, but with a good enough system even a 1v5 fight could still be enjoyable. Destroy parts of the environment for example, could cause debris to crush or temporarily take out a harder to take down target. If shrapnel mechanics exist for it, then there's a chance they'll die from their injuries before getting back into the fight.

I believe also that games should have a config capability for a variety of these systems where applicable. The thing is especially FPS games, you expect to see the end result. Especially if it was initiated solely by your actions. When you get into an engagement and say, there's 50 guys on both sides in a house to house fight, tanks outside getting massacred, entire rooms smited, and people start running out of ammo or choose to go melee only to see how far they get, the biggest problem is the aftermath is just gone. No blood, no bullet holes, no gibs, no bodies, not even any critically injured avatar that is so obliterated that they become an NPC if it was originally a player character. I believe there should be settings to add a threshold, or even make the lot of these aspects indefinite. Therefore, those with weaker systems can still play the game, and those with superior ones can experience the hell that is trying to be simulated but gets cut short. It's one of the reasons RO2 was hailed and "feared" before yaboiz fucked it up in a few patches, only to go from PTSD Sim to hardcore fighter but kitty Sim 1940s.

I also believe in player characters, especially in MP titles, should have a variety of condition states. Fine, injured, last stand, downed, then death. Yet, in-betweens. When fine, there's no - minimal injury. Maybe a few bruises, scratches, but full movement, sight, and capability as others. When injured, this ranges from maybe one good wound, to many that end up to similar result. AKA a shot out joint only needs one wound to affect stability and movement, or a broken bone or dislocation [limp.], whereas a few knife cuts may make a nasty looking wound but in gameplay unless assaulting softer bits like someone's stomach, it wouldn't be so bad to make movement a mess. A character can limp, stumble, fall over/occasionally go prone or just end up crouching [which could be more helpful under circumstances], etc. Depending on what hits you, where, or blood loss/wound types, you could go from fine to injured, or fine to downed, injured to dead, etc. Enough blood loss causes a downed state, and without medic support, or if the player decides to give up, they'll eventually just die. However, they would appear dead as is but with some movement for signification.

in a last stand position, the avatar is either immobilized such as pinned under an object, amputated limbs, or dying. For that one, the character is so smashed up, that regardless of if they can still stand they'll "die" in a dozen or so seconds. Whereupon the avatar becomes an NPC in a downed state then dies momentarily. Though it can also be triggered without fatal consequence. Maybe they stumble around if trying to move, or immediately collapse into a crawling position, but can still engage and try moving away from a hostile. Where depending on the wound, any new ones, blood loss, etc, you enter a downed state or just straight up die. Here is the most special. You should be capable of trying to heal non-fatal wounds, which would be capable of resulting in a down state rather than death. A medic should be capable of getting rewards, points/score, etc the most, from saving last stand characters, and non-fatally downed state ones. Players would be able to choose to holster their weapon to move faster, or try and fight and move slower. If the players choose to give up, the avatar becomes an NPC-like entity that screams in pain until death or something but follows the states. Otherwise, the player character will be unconscious until revived when entering a downed state. This is however if it's caused by blood loss.

For being downed conventionally, such as good enough sounds, or a fatal wound, the player character outright collapses if still standing previously, and they go through a variety of animations. They could scream, grab at sounds, roll around, flail, etc until revival or death. If blood doesn't run low enough, then the player will still be able to see and look around. They could potentially be used to spot hidden enemies for teammates. However the variety of animations, screams, cries, and the fact that amputation can still take place, either side might just end up killing them as a form of mercy to respawn. This would have several applications from RP to conventionality. If trying to flank, but someone gets downed, then due to how long the animations and screams last, a recently taken down opponent would be used to tell both sides of how active the area is. Killing the character or NPC, rather than capturing or reviving them by the enemy, could allow them to appear as if the area is nolonger being defended as it'd be difficult to pin point how long they've been dead. This could also be used as a trap, IE creating an ambush. This could also be done by leaving allied bodies, maybe in a false downed state, to bait an enemy into believing they cleared an area. Such as playing dead when a non-effective grenade goes off, which could happen if the grenade was taken after being thrown into a window, thrown elsewhere, went prone, done. However, you wouldn't have your gun out and it'd take a few seconds to unholster your sidearm. Thus you could be killed.

In a dead state, the body remains as it last was before death. If the body remains long enough intact, then discoloration and all may take place. However, this state is the goriest, and hopefully fully dynamic. With a direct hit of a big enough explosive, their entire body even could be obliterated. Alternatively, similar but with varying gibbing and internals, etc. Technically a downed state, a blown or sliced in half character could be seen with some interesting desperate animations. Or maybe a bizarre diagonal cut from the left shoulder, going down to the belly button, then curving off to the side and cutting that whole portion out. These could vary from instant death to taking a few seconds. If a character's stomach got blown open, it's a down state as well with its own animations.

Now, if you get an artery hit, I'm more so imagining red dead 2. Primarily closer to more vital organs. IE, if someone shoots you in the heart, sure you might still be standing for a few seconds or so, but it should kind of flow out like that and then the player/NPC just falls back and dies. Headshots should be a instant kill depending on where exactly was hit, the angle, and type of weapon. Usually, it'll be head on, or from the side, upper bit of the skull, mostly straight trajectory, and in this basic and assuming scenario, death if not guaranteed, is extremely high. If an artery further away from the heart is yeeted, the player should be capable of "enduring" from between 15 - 33 seconds before the blood loss enforces unconsciousness, and then death. However in a game, I don't think people would really care where these points all exactly are inside the model. And all of this is basic outside the dynamics. It isn't exactly requiring you to build a skeleton, put organs and all into it, then make the meaty bits, then do some RE2 remake type stuff with it. Though that'd be neat, and there's no difference between the undead and a normal model in games pretty much. Though, if one wants to be more over the top, overgrowth blood physics and all is godtier.

I think the gaming industry has collapsed in developmental progression, and it's left solely to the indies to make something that can be absolutely innovative. Red dead 2, and half life alyx is some of only few games that do this that isn't pretty much an indie. Others however, just take an existing mechanic, go 2.5, then punch it in and call that their massive improvement. I'm hoping titles like cyberpunk 2077 can be added to that list. But time will only time.

And my final opinion:
Medics are cool, however there are issues.
They're literally useless, and there's barely incentive to use the class because unless you kill the enemy like a standard combat unit, these games register you as being garbage or having done nothing. That sucks. They're only really good in non-casual [in terms of a real casual, usually those playing games in free time for nothing more but the fun and accessobility.] titles like ARMA, but still need mods to realize their full ultra-instinct JoJo terminator-like potential.

You can only be happy if you have kids!

Like no... I come from a family in which it expects that I someday have kids because it will please my parents. However, I generally don't want kids at all.. I am old enough to think for myself, and I am also old enough to know that I will not be happy with kids and it is hard to explain to my family that I do not want kids like I do not want a romantic partner. I won't get too deeply into why I don't want kids, but I feel like it is a pressure from the family, and since we are already doing such a shitty job at saving this planet why should I be interested in leaving my kids with a mess that nobody is keen on fixing, it feels unfair to myself and to the next generation after mine?

I try being really frank with my family about this, that my opinion about not having kids should be respected, but I guess not all people can see ones points of view.

You can only be happy if you have kids!

Like no... I come from a family in which it expects that I someday have kids because it will please my parents. However, I generally don't want kids at all.. I am old enough to think for myself, and I am also old enough to know that I will not be happy with kids and it is hard to explain to my family that I do not want kids like I do not want a romantic partner. I won't get too deeply into why I don't want kids, but I feel like it is a pressure from the family, and since we are already doing such a shitty job at saving this planet why should I be interested in leaving my kids with a mess that nobody is keen on fixing, it feels unfair to myself and to the next generation after mine?

I try being really frank with my family about this, that my opinion about not having kids should be respected, but I guess not all people can see ones points of view.

I think it’s a generational thing. I feel like people in their thirties and younger are growing up in a world where

1. Our planet is fucked.
2. (In US) we lack financial security
3. Heteronormativity isn’t the only socially acceptable option for partnership
4. People have rediscovered the Ace spectrum.

People my age I feel like it’s more of a choice in whether you want kids or not. If you more power to you. If you don’t you aren’t a social pariah among your age group.

Im lucky in that my mom was married four times and has come the conclusion ussion men are useless and marriage is a waste of time. Plus I have two sisters, one of which has already taken the bullet and provided the grand babies. So the two spinsters don’t have to really worry about family legacy or whatever.

Everyone is too eager to reopen everything up as if we're not in the midst of a pandemic. Slow down, this virus is serious!

1. Unicorns aren’t all white horses with horns
2. Medieval fantasy is boring, fantasy can exist anywhere
I like Medieval Fantasy, but it's way overdone. I personally really want to do a high fantasy story set in a Middle Eastern/Arabian inspired land.

I like Medieval Fantasy, but it's way overdone. I personally really want to do a high fantasy story set in a Middle Eastern/Arabian inspired land.

I read a series set in a similar place (kingdom of brass I think) it was interesting. I personally just prefer more every day kind of magic or like basically nature documentaries following made up beasties.

I feel like people get stuck in the pseudo-European knights and dragons era. Like what about practical magic in some undisclosed time period where people have like magical animal companions and use magic in every day activities like baking or weaving. Or just people exploring some totally made up world where all kinds of mythological beings are chilling?

I think it’s a generational thing. I feel like people in their thirties and younger are growing up in a world where

1. Our planet is fucked.
2. (In US) we lack financial security
3. Heteronormativity isn’t the only socially acceptable option for partnership
4. People have rediscovered the Ace spectrum.

People my age I feel like it’s more of a choice in whether you want kids or not. If you more power to you. If you don’t you aren’t a social pariah among your age group.

Im lucky in that my mom was married four times and has come the conclusion ussion men are useless and marriage is a waste of time. Plus I have two sisters, one of which has already taken the bullet and provided the grand babies. So the two spinsters don’t have to really worry about family legacy or whatever.
I think the problem with that narrative is it's ultimately very defeatist. Now I'd never advocate for having kids just for the hell of it, but I do hate the narrative of:
We're all fucked so why bother

You need to focus on your career! Why trade up a promotion for a pram? One of my friends said this me; we weren't friends after that. I've also had fellow employees tell me the same thing. In school, one of my teachers even said that if you were planning to be a "breeder" you might as well drop out of school now (sex ed). The immediate assumption from my doctor was that I wanted long term contraception when I went to see him, despite the fact it was for a completely unrelated issue (I'm still unable to put on any weight but I'm sure it'll arrive eventually).

So although it may now be social acceptable to not have children, wanting to be a parent has become the new "problematic" social action.

If the entire planet was onboard with the narrative, it'd be different. But you know what? Western Civilization is absolutely fucked if people stop having kids. Who's going to be the next Elon Musk, the next Jordan Peterson, the next Pope? How can things possibly change if they're very limited young people?

If the planet is fucked (and we haven't done it any favours admittedly) then It's a willing capitulation to that fact. It's to give up hope. It's to deny your future kids the ability to exist because you have decided their lives won't be worth living. Well life isn't perfect. You can't raise your kid in a mansion going on trips to the Bahamas. But you try the best with what you have. No it's not easy to raise kids, especially with limited funds. But I'd rather be a poor kid with loving parents than a rich kid who's parents abused or never bothered with me.

Also let's be honest Rae if you truly believed the planet is fucked why are we even having this conversation? How come you're not too busy downing endless bottles of Gin or wacked out on drugs? (Not that I'm advocating becoming an alcoholic or anything, but it does raise the point of why you seemingly live out such a mundane lifestyle. I mean you could literally become an adrenaline junkie and take up skydiving or shark spotting.)

Consider this. I think it's quite clear at this point that you feel pretty strongly about left wing issues (either that or you have even more time on your hands than me). Who are you going to share that with? Who have you got to tell that encounter with the clan to, or to explain the (absolutely peaceful) protest of the 2020s to? Your nieces and nephews? Some kid down the library? For all you know, your kid could've been a librarian just like you and in fifty years there could be a small army of Raes all fighting against the abolishment of books in favour of technology. But with your current mindset that can't happen. Are the chances of it slim? Maybe. Maybe they would grow up to rob and smoke crack. But at the moment they can't do anything, good or bad, because they don't exist.

If you don't want to have kids, then I wouldn't force it on anyone. But don't not have kids just because you feel guilty about the planet.

If you've got something to say do so.

I'm far too lazy to go back looking for the moderator post about sharing opinions vs. discussion getting the thread too heated.
Or was that the RP specific thread? They've started to blend together a bit in my memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back