Other Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Social sexism is a thing as well.
Sexism is sexism, nothing more and nothing less. If 'social sexism' is a thing, then that problem ought to be solved. The problem of said type of sexism, not the protests (riots) demanding for more laws and more rights. If the 'social sexism' is truly from the employers and higher ups, sure, protest for rights. If the 'social sexism' comes from a person's own self, own life such as social anxiety, parental pressure and 'exposure to parents' occupation' as you put it, then that is the problem of the individual and not society itself, and thus that needs personal fixing, not demanding for government funding.
If the study just gave the total, then you would be on to something. However, it breaks down the different occupations as well. You'll find that nearly all of them have women earning less, even when they outnumber men.
I think you made a point a few days ago, that women don't rage for higher wages (raises, promotions) than men. Maybe that's why. Pure speculation, but I suppose that's 'social sexism', too, and neither the fault of the employer nor some super secret hidden oppressing laws that people can't find.

And being from a country where doctors are paid roughly $750.00 (USD) per month as a minimum wage, I surely am rather nudged by the following comment:
Level of danger, number of people willing to take the job, and the skill requirement. That's why doctors and lawyers earn more than soldiers.
Level of danger, number of people willing to take the job, and the skill requirements/qualifications. The reason why doctors and lawyers earn more is because of their skills and their merits. Being doctors and lawyers require skills, require high level degrees, etc. Being a soldier is tough, however, and there are many cases of veterans being struck down under and in need of welfare. Maybe this is the real wage gap. Still not a gender issue here, however.
I think it's pretty obvious that gender expectations and roles exist.
Yes, truly. But they only affect you as an individual if you let them take control of you. I don't let that happen to me for the most part. My weakness would be the expectations of my parents. Yes, my parents, not society itself, although I'm definitely trying to shed that. It is my problem, it is in my personal realm, and the outside world can only affect me for as long as I allow it to, which I usually don't.
"It's natural" or "It's society."
Both. Both have their parts to play, have their merits. It's proven that natural, instinctual behaviours between men and women exist. And I'm not talking about sex or hormones, but the structures of the brains, the synapses, neurons and all of that. I get nudged when I see people claim that gender is completely a social construct. It's not. Gender is neurological, aka in the brain.

But as social creatures, we're often affected by our environments/surroundings, as an example society. While it's my neurological side that tells me to get emotional fits and whatnot, it's society that tells me pink is for me. That's the difference. So, we're affected by both, but the latter is malleable, controllable and ignorable. Unless it is absolute law, which might have some merit in my country, but yeah. It only affects you if you want it to. I suppose I'm mentally strong, and I suppose the exampled women are mentally weak. Not much excuse, however. Societal pressure, peer pressure is not one one of those either.
This is also partly why I'm against 'The wage gap is a myth,' because... well... it isn't, for one - It exists.
It exists, but it's not due to the mainstream reasonings that we are shown. PS, sorry about the pinksourcing thing. It's just something that I keep hearing about and not others, such as reverse racism.
Women largely don't take certain jobs - We've both agreed to this. An employer can not hire exclusively women in the jobs with the highest fatality rates because they'd be down to 7% of their workforce.
Do I detect casual sexism...!? How discriminative, thinking that women would automatically lower their workforce due to high fatality rates jobs, because they're physically weaker than me. They're not! I'm a strong independent woman, who don't need no mannn!!! - I'm joking.

Yeah. Many women don't take certain jobs due to physical or mental limitations. Not wrong. But as this stays, it is only logical that women will forever receive less pay than their male counterparts. These women contribute to the small gap in the actual wage gap, and said gap logically would never close if they refuse to do the high fatality work.

Not a wrong thing, I'll say again. But it's simple logic, the real explanation why there will always be a gap, unless they're willing to risk their lives like I do. Or until robots come in and take all the hard labour jobs away from humans. Maybe then the premise would become much, much more equal.

But in conclusion to the women don't take certain jobs, it's not sexist discrimination that they receive less pay. The math adds up. Less women are in the workforce to begin with, less woman volunteer to do hard labour, less women study in courses offering many wonderful degrees and opt for things like gender studies. It's not hard to understand why there is a gap, however sad the reasoning is.

The bulk of gap is ultimately NOT caused by workforce sexism or super secret hidden oppressive laws. The remaining social issues is up to the women themselves, not to protest against the government, the law makers nor the officials.

Disclaimer: I'm often called a woman traitor in social media/discord servers by feminists. I cry.

Last edited:
Organized Religion such as Christianity and Islam do a lot of good there's no doubt about it...but they also seem to do a lot of bad. They provide bad people opportunities to gain followers en-mass and do bad things, also not to mention the fact that their doctrines were written during time periods when the murder of people using rocks was considered a good punishment.

Not all Republicans, but the Republican Party Platform is greedy and gives too much power to big businesses.
Not all Democrats, but the Democratic Party Platform tries to restrain personal liberties and freedoms wayyy too much
In conclusion Political Parties are a lot like Organized Religion

Organized Religion such as Christianity and Islam do a lot of good there's no doubt about it...but they also seem to do a lot of bad. They provide bad people opportunities to gain followers en-mass and do bad things, also not to mention the fact that their doctrines were written during time periods when the murder of people using rocks was considered a good punishment.

Not all Republicans, but the Republican Party Platform is greedy and gives too much power to big businesses.
Not all Democrats, but the Democratic Party Platform tries to restrain personal liberties and freedoms wayyy too much
In conclusion Political Parties are a lot like Organized Religion
I thought I'd expand on this, the world would be a better place without Religion and Political Parties, it wouldn't be perfect but it'd take away on excuse we use to hurt and kill each other.

I thought I'd expand on this, the world would be a better place without Religion and Political Parties, it wouldn't be perfect but it'd take away on excuse we use to hurt and kill each other.
Ever hear of the Golden Rule, friend?
Or the Good Samaritan, or like, the bajillion very good things Jesus Christ said and urged his followers to do?

How I feel about Lord of the Rings. It blows, and here's why.....sorry the clip is long but the explanation of LOTR is so true, bahahahaha

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that a world without religion would be better than this one. Mainly because that while it's true that it'd take away one excuse people use to do bad things, we'd invent another one within 5 minutes.

What if this plague destroys humanity unlike the Spanish Flu and the Black Death?
Good.

Or the Good Samaritan, or like, the bajillion very good things Jesus Christ said and urged his followers to do?
I seriously doubt that a world without religion would be better than this one. Mainly because that while it's true that it'd take away one excuse people use to do bad things, we'd invent another one within 5 minutes.
Religion sucks lol

Religion sucks lol
Says the man who's about to go do missionary work with the local church and help people in Texas. Yeesh, do I smell a hypocrite?

Last edited by a moderator:
Religion sucks lol
th

It's not like there would be some fuckin aliens zooming by, checking out the ruins of humanity thinking 'well g darn it, look at all this science gone to waste. too bad about that.'

It probably would be better, note how I didn't say perfect. But you can't say that not having religion wouldn't put at the very least a minor dent in conflict.

Yeah Christ was a fantastic dude, I have no problem with him, however his followers and beileves and the Old Testemant Doctrine he sanctioned that's what I have a problem with. I do enjoy reading thr old testament though don't get me wrong, it paints a fantastic historical image of the time period.

Yeah Christ was a fantastic dude, I have no problem with him, however his followers and beileves and the Old Testemant Doctrine he sanctioned that's what I have a problem with. I do enjoy reading thr old testament though don't get me wrong, it paints a fantastic historical image of the time period.

I just really hate it when people say "Oh, religion is the root of all evil in this world". point to one obscure page in the old testament or hell, don't even cite anything at all
Blame the crusades on the pope, not the Lord, or literally anyone who does bad in the name of the Lord when in reality they misinterpret the scripture

I just really hate it when people say "Oh, religion is the root of all evil in this world". point to one obscure page in the old testament or hell, don't even cite anything at all
Blame the crusades on the pope, not the Lord, or literally anyone who does bad in the name of the Lord when in reality they misinterpret the scripture
Well it's a good thing I didn't say that then right? Religion is not the root of all evil and I don't blame the Crusades on any God, they were just as much political conflicts as they were religious. What does concern me though is the fact that because there was Religion individuals were able to capitalize on faith and use that to cause the wars. Not even just the Crusades, but the Jihads, the Killing of "heritics" by the Inquisition and Dominican Order, Pagan Gods who demand blood sacrifice.

And that's another problem with organized religion is the fact that nobody is ever going to know what the actual meaning is for holy verses, everyone has their own opinions. How do you know what you're quoting is the actual "God" intended meaning of scripture. Someone could easily change the meanings of certain things or see certain verse's ans take it upon themselves to do bad things all because their Lord commanded it.

Sexism is sexism, nothing more and nothing less. If 'social sexism' is a thing, then that problem ought to be solved. The problem of said type of sexism, not the protests (riots) demanding for more laws and more rights. If the 'social sexism' is truly from the employers and higher ups, sure, protest for rights. If the 'social sexism' comes from a person's own self, own life such as social anxiety, parental pressure and 'exposure to parents' occupation' as you put it, then that is the problem of the individual and not society itself, and thus that needs personal fixing, not demanding for government funding.
Yes. Sexism is sexism, and legal sexism is distinct from social sexism. When you said "From the above, I understood that women are weak in the pay negotiating tycoon field because of gender roles and public pressure. Then it isn't systematical sexism in the markets. Instead, it's just social awkwardness, it's just societal pressure. It has nothing to do with legal laws and or bills allowing for less pay towards women. There is an earnings gap, but it isn't due to sexism, prejudice, the law, bills, legislations, etc." I had to conclude that you were only recognizing legal sexism.
No, because society can cause these things. Parental pressure and exposure to their occupations are examples of society influencing people, because it is the collective of individuals influencing them.
I don't know what the bit about government funding is about. Was it specifically to respond to those protesting for laws to fix the situation? If so, I don't know enough about what those people are arguing to comment.

I think you made a point a few days ago, that women don't rage for higher wages (raises, promotions) than men. Maybe that's why. Pure speculation, but I suppose that's 'social sexism', too, and neither the fault of the employer nor some super secret hidden oppressing laws that people can't find.
Pretty much how I feel about it, yeah. There are situations where the employer could be the issue, but I don't think they're the primary cause of the gap myself. If they are, I haven't seen something that's concluded that.

And being from a country where doctors are paid roughly $750.00 (USD) per month as a minimum wage, I surely am rather nudged by the following comment:

Level of danger, number of people willing to take the job, and the skill requirements/qualifications. The reason why doctors and lawyers earn more is because of their skills and their merits. Being doctors and lawyers require skills, require high level degrees, etc. Being a soldier is tough, however, and there are many cases of veterans being struck down under and in need of welfare. Maybe this is the real wage gap. Still not a gender issue here, however.
This is what I said. Why are you nudged?

Yes, truly. But they only affect you as an individual if you let them take control of you. I don't let that happen to me for the most part. My weakness would be the expectations of my parents. Yes, my parents, not society itself, although I'm definitely trying to shed that. It is my problem, it is in my personal realm, and the outside world can only affect me for as long as I allow it to, which I usually don't.
You decide whether you conform, but our desire to conform is pretty strong. You'll find some links to related studies below. Regardless, I think unfair expectations are bad.

Both. Both have their parts to play, have their merits. It's proven that natural, instinctual behaviours between men and women exist. And I'm not talking about sex or hormones, but the structures of the brains, the synapses, neurons and all of that. I get nudged when I see people claim that gender is completely a social construct. It's not. Gender is neurological, aka in the brain.
Indeed there are differences, but I haven't heard of biological or neurological differences that would cause a wage gap in almost every occupation.
As for gender completely being a social construct: I've heard "Gender is a social construct," but not in entirety. I think these people are using the social definition, that is the cultural ideas of 'masculinity' and 'femininity.' Though that isn't entirely societal either, quite a lot of it is.
I made a mistake on the two choices though. False dichotomy there - My bad. Thanks for the correction.

But as social creatures, we're often affected by our environments/surroundings, as an example society. While it's my neurological side that tells me to get emotional fits and whatnot, it's society that tells me pink is for me. That's the difference. So, we're affected by both, but the latter is malleable, controllable and ignorable. Unless it is absolute law, which might have some merit in my country, but yeah. It only affects you if you want it to. I suppose I'm mentally strong, and I suppose the exampled women are mentally weak. Not much excuse, however. Societal pressure, peer pressure is not one one of those either.
Stanford Prison Experiment | Simply Psychology
Asch Experiment | Simply Psychology
I think you're downplaying peer pressure. There are a lot of experiments that study how far humans go for conformity. Psychologically it is agreed that the desire to fit in is part of human instinct. I'd argue instinct isn't malleable, no, but we can still change our behaviour despite that - I mean just look at religious fasting. Challenging what is conformity can cause us to doubt ourselves, which is why the appeal to authority and popularity fallacies are used. I think this study shows the influence of peer pressure best though: Milgram experiment - Wikipedia I feel this way because this study challenged our empathy, and you can watch recordings of the testees themselves begging for the study to stop. Despite their disagreements and not wanting to take part, they continued under the pressure. It was very shocking when it came ou- I'm sorry.
But yeah, I think peer pressure and what your surroundings are trying to make you conform to have more influence than what this quote is suggesting. We do choose to conform, but the instinctive pressure is hard to overcome.

It exists, but it's not due to the mainstream reasonings that we are shown. PS, sorry about the pinksourcing thing. It's just something that I keep hearing about and not others, such as reverse racism.
It's fine, but I'm still not sure what pinksourcing is. I thought it was the 'they'll exclusively hire women' argument given a name. Was that right? Orrr

Yeah. Many women don't take certain jobs due to physical or mental limitations. Not wrong. But as this stays, it is only logical that women will forever receive less pay than their male counterparts. These women contribute to the small gap in the actual wage gap, and said gap logically would never close if they refuse to do the high fatality work.

Not a wrong thing, I'll say again. But it's simple logic, the real explanation why there will always be a gap, unless they're willing to risk their lives like I do. Or until robots come in and take all the hard labour jobs away from humans. Maybe then the premise would become much, much more equal.

But in conclusion to the women don't take certain jobs, it's not sexist discrimination that they receive less pay. The math adds up. Less women are in the workforce to begin with, less woman volunteer to do hard labour, less women study in courses offering many wonderful degrees and opt for things like gender studies. It's not hard to understand why there is a gap, however sad the reasoning is.

The bulk of gap is ultimately NOT caused by workforce sexism or super secret hidden oppressive laws. The remaining social issues is up to the women themselves, not to protest against the government, the law makers nor the officials.

Disclaimer: I'm often called a woman traitor in social media/discord servers by feminists. I cry.
All of these specifics are a total-gap counter, which I've responded to.

I don't think you're some woman traitor myself. At worst, I disagree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back