• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Unlikely Partners

Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
"I didnt expect to," She mumbled, stretching once more and finally blinking the sleep from her eyes. Ilaria reached down and slipped her shoes back on as they pulled off. This particular town stood in the shadow of some of the first peaks they had crossed, so the air was dry. That meant not a whole lot of green, and she didn't see anything that she would consider a tree at the gas station.
"I don't know, there doesn't seem to be a ton of plants around, its a little dry, no? But I hope so.. it makes me feel better."
Ilaria glanced down the road that served as the main street, and caught sight of a red, white, and green restaurant sign. "Pizza sounds good to me," She said, pointing toward the little Italian restaurant.

There was a small parking lot behind the row of building that made up the little downtown area. Chris parked and got out, then lead the way around to the front door of the little restraint.
There was a sign that read "Please seat yourself" Chris glanced at Ilaria and continued to a window booth third down from the door. They sat down and were greeted by a waitress with two menus just a few seconds later.
"Good evening. What can I get you to drink?" She asked.
"Water if fine for me." Chris answered with a smile as he took a menu.

Last edited:
Ilaria said the same, and ran her eyes over the menu. "Please tell me you aren't a 'pineapple on pizza' person," She said with a smirk, "I'd never think of you the same again."
They had a fair selection of pizza toppings, but she was eyeing the pizza that had an alfredo base and chicken and spinach on top. Or maybe plain cheese. Or maybe one with ham..
She seemed enraptured by the menu and its choices, and spoke without looking up, "What do you think? What kind of pizza do you and Rex like?"

Chris smiled at the thought of what kind of pizza Rex would like. "I think he would like a meat lovers pizza." He said with a smile. "Personally I like pepperoni, black olive, and mushroom.
Chris looked over the menu, reading the stuff that Ilaria had said. "I would like to try something different. What are you thinking?"

"I like chicken on pizza, especially with an alfredo base." Ilaria said softly, absenting chewing on a fingernail as she read the menu. "But pizza is easy to take things off of, so get whatever, and I'll turn it into cheese pizza if I have to."
She finished talking just as their waited returned with an expectant look. The waiter looked at Ilaria, and Ilaria looked at Chris, so the waiter also looked at Chris, pen hovering over the ticket.

Chris smiled as she explained what she wanted, but how she wouldn't mind something else. As the waitress returned then looked at him he pointed to the menu, "We will have a medium of the Chicken Alfredo pizza. Don't need an appetizer." Chris said with a smile as he folded his menu and handed it to their server. "Thank you" he said as she took the menu and left.

Last edited:
Ilaria raised an eyebrow, taking a sip of her water, as he ordered exactly what she wanted. She looked at him with a half-smile, and stirred the ice in her water. "Thank you." She said softly, as she watched the waited walk away.
The restaurant was basically empty, the only sound the distant conversation in the kitchen, and the soft Italian-themed music playing overhead. The quiet made her feel a little self-conscious, especially after she caught a pair of female waiters ogling Chris, and watched them quickly disperse when she caught their eyes. They think we're on a date, she realize, taking another quick sip of her water.
"This place is cute." She said softly, returning her silver-green gaze to Chris. "Does Mullbrook have a place like this?" She hadn't been in town long enough to explore that well, but it seemed only proper that they would have a small Italian restaurant as well.

"Yes actually. It is called Jim and Jeans. And the owners are a nice older couple named Jim and Jean. It is a small Italian restraint, and the only place for fine wines." Chris smiled as he talked. "They are best known for their lasagna and sea food dishes." He finished. Then he added, "It is bigger than this place, but mostly because there is a bar in addition to the restaurant."

Ilaira's eyes lit up a little. "Well, that sounds like my kind of place. We'll have to go when we get back." She said it so casually, she didn't even catch herself. Not that she had time to, because enough time had passed that their food arrived at the table, along with plates and a spatula.
Ilaria glanced at Chris quickly, and then reached out to grab the spatula and take her first piece. Once she had gotten a piece, along with its stretchy cheese, onto her plate, she handed him the spatula.
Ilaria took a bite of her pizza, and promptly turned into a dragon, as it was far too hot to eat right then. After struggling to cool it down in her mouth, she poked holes in the cheese of the rest of her piece, and waited for a minute before trying again.

Chris smiled as she hinted in going back to Mullbrook then his smile widened as she struggled to cool the pizza without burning herself more. "Hey Ilaria, I think it's hot. Maybe you should wait a second or two." He said as he took his own piece.

Ilaria swallowed and stuck her now stinging tongue out at him. "Thanks, smartass," She said with a grin, braving another bite.
In no time at all, she had wolfed down three pieces. The fourth one slowed her down, and by the time she was done with it, she was certain she was full. "I can't eat another bite," She said as she pushed her empty plate away. Ilaria caught the waitresses staring again, and raised her eyesbrows at theirs. They dispersed again, and Ilaria rolled her eyes.

Chris's only response to her sticking out her tongue was to smile back. He ate his share of pizza as well.
Chris noticed her eye roll and glanced over at where the waitresses were standing and smirked just a little bit, "What is with the eye roll?"

"The waitresses can't keep their eyes off you," Ilaria said with a smirk. "But they don't want me to see them starring, so every time I look at them, they scatter." She giggled, as she watched him turn to look. "Like mice at the sight of a cat."
Their waitress noticed them slowing down, and walked over to ask if they wanted desert. Ilaria shook her head, holding back a laugh, and watched her leave to go get their check. The waitress was blushing, noticabely.

Chris glanced over his shoulder at the waitress, then shrugged as she laughed at him. Chris leaned forward, "You actually can be a cat too." He whispered to her.
The waitress broght the check and Chris took it and filled it out and putting his debit card in the slot. The waitress came back an took the checkbook, "Thank you." Chris said as she took it.

Ilaria made a face at him, and said, "I'm cute as a cat."
Soon, they we're ready to leave, and Ilaria stood and wrapped her arm underneath Chris's to walk out, their hips touching. As they reached the door, she smiled brightly at the female waitresses. They looked like they wanted to punch her.
Ilaria gave Chris a little space once they were out the door, but not a ton. She was quiet until they reached the car, and then said, "Let me know when you want me to drive," as she broke off from him and opened the rear door of the vehicle to let Rex out for a moment.

Chris let Ilaria be close to him, smirking a bit at how jealous she was acting. "I'm good for a few more hours. You can take over at the next gas stop."
Chris stood over the car with his arms on the roof and looked at Ilaria after she opened the door for Rex, "You know that those couple waitresses didn't look happy as we walked out." Chris said with a sassy smile.

Ilaria gave a nod, watching as Rex jumped out of the car and bounded around for a few minutes. The wolf was obviously accustomed to trips in the car, because after a few minutes of stretching his legs, he hopped back in and looked at Ilaria expectantly.
She gave a chuckle, shut his door for him, and opened her own. She paused to answer Chris's statement, rolling her eyes.
"Okay, maybe it was a little rude to get all couple-y just to make a point, but staring like that is pretty rude, too." She said, plopping down into her seat. "Imagine if that was a first date, or if we had been a couple out on their anniversary or something. It's just not classy." Ilaria turned the navigation back on, and buckled herself in, telling herself that she was definitely not blushing.

"Okaayyy..." Chris said. Purposefully being drawn out and sassy. "But you have a good point." He finished in a more serious tone.
Chris got in and started up the car. He went back to the highway and their road trip resumed.

Ilaria glanced at Chris with an odd look, and then let it go. She turned up the radio, even though she didn't really like his choice in music all that much, and curled up in her seat for another few hours of sleep.
As it grew dark, she woke up, feeling the oppression of the sun fade. She felt surprisingly alert and refreshed, even though she wished she could wash her face.
She leaned over and glanced at the fuel gauge on the car. "I'm awake now, so whenever you're ready," She said quietly. Her phone buzzed in her pocket, which caused her to frown. What could it possibly be, if her currently-only friend was right next to her. As Ilaria read the name, her frown deepened. She hesitated, before unlocking the phone to read the text.

"Okay, I'll get off at the next one." Chris glanced over at Ilaria who was frowning. "Who is it?"
Chris saw a sign for an exit a mile up and slowed and moved to the right lane.

Ilaria looked up, her mouth hanging half-open as she tried to figure out a word to answer his question. After a few seconds, she settled on simply saying, "Someone I used to know."
She opened up the text message, and started to read it out loud. "Moony.. I heard through the grapevine that you're poking around in some very old magic. And with the sun-seekers, no less. As much as I wish I could be surprised.." She rolled her eyes and fell silent for a few seconds, skipping several lines of the message. "Uh... okay, yeah.. So I figured I'd extend the olive branch first, by way of information. It's quiet here in LA, or as quiet as it can be with so many mortals to feed on, but I've been hearing rumbling for the east coast, Boston and New York mostly. People making moves, some chatter about a big payday power-wise. Even the steady ones are getting antsy. Something big is going to go down out there, and soon, babe." Ilaria scoffed and made a face, but continued for another couple lines.
"More importantly, some of my darker friends have been making trips to the mountains. These guys aren't nature-type hikers. If you're headed out that way, even with those little sun-blessed goody-goodies, you watch your step. You don't have friends like you use to, thanks to.."
She read the rest of the text message silently, and then locked the phone without reply.
"So we're on the right track, and it sounds like we'll have more driving to do after we see what's going on in Larkspur." Ilaria sat up straighter in her seat, as they exited, looking forward to being behind the wheel instead of just sitting.

Chris listened as she spoke, then decided against asking why she didn't read everything. They exited and got some gas. Chris was going to go in and get a couple little things for a snack, "You want anything before we get to driving again?"

Ilaria climbed out of the car, glancing at him as he shut his door and spoke to her. "Sour gummy worms would be nice. And a Coke, from the fountain, not bottled." She said quietly, as she passed him to get into the driver's seat. She took her time adjusting the seat, as he walked inside.
Once he was inside the door, she fished her phone out of her pocket. She pressed a few buttons, and then held it up to her ear. Her conversation was quick and quiet, but her face was tense. She hung up as soon as she saw Chris turn toward the door and start to exit, and finsihed adjusting the mirrors.
As he got in, she looked at him expectantly. "What kind did they have?"

Chris walked inside and filled a fountain cup with Coke, collected a bag of sour gummy worms for Ilaria. Chris got a prickling feeling in the back of his neck, something was making Rex slightly nervous. But he knew that he was in the back seat and Ilaria was there so it was probably nothing. Chris then got a bottle of 7 Up and a tube of Pringles, then went up to pay.
Chris opened the door and sat down wile handing Ilaria the Coke then the gummy worms. "Hope these will do nicely." Chris closed the door and put o his seatbelt. "Is everything okay?"

Ilaria took a long sip of the Coke through the straw as soon as he handed it to her, and winced a little as the bubbles hit the back of her throat. The second sip was much smoother. "Thanks," She said, putting it in the nearest cup holder. She opened the top of the gummy worms, and put them within easy reach. She paused, when he asked her if everything was alright. The moon child glanced back at Rex with a frown, and then turned to start the car.
"It's a long story." She said quietly, as she pulled back out on to the route. Her phone began to buzz with a call, the name reading "G" and nothing else, but she denied it quickly. "I told you I would see what I could find out from people I still know on the darker side of things. Information is very rarely free."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back