• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings Unicorn Hunting: A Search for the Perfect Long-Term RP Partner

Proficiently Awkward

Professional Cynic
Unicorn Hunting: A Search for the Perfect Long-Term RP Partner

The title says it all - I’m looking for an absolute oddity in this day and age. A writing partner that matches my tenacity for character creation, lengthy descriptions, and deep dives into plot / world building. I’m an old-school RPer that enjoys getting to know a person and making sure our creative energies match - someone to scheme with and whittle the time away making character playlists and gushing over new ideas. A high bar to set, I know.

Male characters are my primary go-to, though I dabble in just about anything. Male, non-binary, female, etc. And the pair-ups can be any combination. MxM / MxNB / MxF The list goes on. In the context of an RP, I do like to have multiple characters, even if they are just ‘side’ or NPC characters to flesh things out. The more the merrier, am I right?

Below, I’ve listed the non-negotiables. My creative survival depends on these prerequisites:

• Advanced. Detailed. Literate. To me, that means multiple paragraphs, always. Quality should always come before quantity, sure. But I love writing lengthy introductions, descriptions, inner-monologues - you name it. It also means making an effort to use correct grammar and punctuation. Big words. Over-the-top descriptions. I like reading (and writing) something I can really sink my teeth into.

• 21+. Nothing against young writers, AT ALL. I’m just an adulty-adult in my mid-thirties, so I try to keep my RPs with individuals who aren’t minors. To all you younger folks out there, keep writing and CRUSH IT!

• No Sexually Explicit Content. For one thing, this keeps everything within site rules. For another thing, it often becomes distracting to character development and plot. I am all for romantic dynamics if it fits the storyline. Just fade to black on the XXX content. For me, there is so much more to a story.

• LQBTQA+ / BIPOC Friendly. Variety is the spice of life. All individuals, genders, and sexualities are welcome. Both IRL and in the context of the characters in a RP. If you’re a hater - see yourself out.

• Ghost-Friendly. I ain’t afraid of no ghost. But seriously. Life happens. I always appreciate a heads up if you need to back out of an RP - I won’t take it personally. But if you DO disappear, no worries. I might PM you just to do a wellness check and make sure you’re all good, but you don’t owe me sticking around if it’s not for you.

• Original Content and Original Characters. I typically do not do fandoms and I NEVER do canon characters. Now - I do love dabbling in AUs. There is nothing wrong with taking the overarching idea of something out of pop culture, movies, or TV series. I’d just rather not rehash something that already exists and use characters other people created and try to fit within a box. Likewise, if you hit me with some pre-planned out ‘gym teacher x vampire hunter’ business...I’mma head out.

If you’re still here after all of that - I’m surprised. And excited. Now. Moving on to subject matter. These are things that you ought to expect out of me, content wise.

• Non-Traditional Relationship Dynamics. Frenemies. Star-crossed lovers with only good intentions who end up accidentally ruining each other’s lives. Bro-bonding. Matriarchies. Unlikely parental figures and ‘found families’. I want something a bit deeper than just sticking two people together and expecting them to just make-nice and immediately bond. Friction makes for good story.

• Rich Character Development and Flawed Individuals. We’re all human. Unless we’re NOT playing humans...but the take-away here is that I’m looking for the genuine ‘human condition’. No one is perfect. That means perfectly beautiful, perfectly adept in any situation, or perfectly...perfect. I enjoy playing a flawed individuals with internal struggles, questionable pasts or traumas, social shortcomings - that sort of thing. I don’t enjoy slapping a plastic smile on a character and creating a Mary/Gary Sue. No one is good at everything. So, please humor me. No OP or ridiculously unrealistic characters, folks.

• Gritty Subject Matter and Anything BUT Slice of Life. This doesn’t mean I’m looking for absolute angst or only dark themes, but I want to avoid the bright and bubbly, regular, modern, done-to-death plots. In the context of RP, I don’t have any notable triggers - but PLEASE let me know if YOU do! Really, this just means that I am up for just about anything, content wise.

• ‘Doubling’ and Playing Multiple Roles. This is something I will always strive for in a story. I enjoy creating a multitude of characters with varied backstories and histories. Now, I do not require this in a partner at all, but I like to have an equal share in the story-telling. If I’m holding up the entire cast, it’s more that I am DM/GMing a story and not co-writing with a partner. All I’m saying is I like a little balance.

Word-vomit time. Below, I’m just going to post a big old word bank. Any and all of these would be something that I would love to build a story on - and none of them are fleshed out ideas. I’m looking for a plotting partner in crime, after all. If you see things that you like or click with - we can see where it goes.

Paleolithic Era. Post Apocalyptic. Folklore. Fairytales. Cryptids. Fantasy. Modern Fantasy. Feral Animals. Societal Collapse. Totalitarian Regimes. Film Noir. AU History. Historically Accurate. Magic. Shapeshifters. Unlikely Heros. Dinotopia/Dinosaurs. Druids. Wild West. Survival. Whimsical. Mythology. World Building. Futuristic. Pirates. Space Pirates. Mutants. Wizards. Parallel Universes. Dystopian. Utopian. Supernatural Mysteries. Small Towns. High Society Socialites. Criminal Underworlds.

If any of this seems right up your alley, drop me a PM. I’d love to see what we can come up with.

[I’ll be back to edit the whole mess, later!]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back