Literature Unfinished Written Works? Discuss 'em here!

Lawfuless

Personally, I like discussing ideas and plans for my stories, or just having a place to keep track of my works that are in progress. If you'd like to do the same, feel free to post a list of things you'd like to work on, or post an idea you'd like to workshop!

I've got a novel in progress that I've been whittling through and it's been a few years since I started it. I've been debating rewriting it with my new style, and expanding on it more. I've just found more interest in my numerous fanfictions. One of which I am in the process of rewriting. Involving an older hero turning to villainy and succeeding in taking control of the world.

Current things I should be working on:
- Novel; In Shadow's Light {Chapter 4 of 14}
- Google doc fanfics; OSAU, KS, Sugar Monarch, Firsts, Truth or Dare, TWMT, PtL...
- Other places: Erlik introduction, literally any of the stories on my fanfiction account...

I was once writing my own Danganronpa fanfiction/fangame but I gave up on it so I literally have 20 some characters sitting in the dust, some more developed than others. I’m going to try to recycle them here now that I’m active again on the site instead.

I’ve also had several other stories I’ve started and gave up on. I just don’t have the attention span for those sorts of things.

I was once writing my own Danganronpa fanfiction/fangame but I gave up on it so I literally have 20 some characters sitting in the dust, some more developed than others. I’m going to try to recycle them here now that I’m active again on the site instead.

I’ve also had several other stories I’ve started and gave up on. I just don’t have the attention span for those sorts of things.
Sounds interesting! Always worth recycling characters, though!

I definitely get that. I try to work on too many at once when I get an idea, but sometimes they drag on, so I abandon them. I usually just recommend setting them aside for when you get inspiration, but some just aren't worth it.

I actually can't count how many unfinished stories I have. I'd have to open at least three different storage devices and count out each story across a multitude of genres, omit the ones that are close copies, and get rid of duplicates. Some are barely a story and are just plot skeletons. Others are several chapters in. But none of them are anywhere close to being done. These stories go back to when I had to pull them out of a 3.5 floppy disk up to now when I just store them on a cloud.

I guess my most current two that have anything meaningful behind them are:
1) A Martian wasteland dystopia, after terraforming was abandoned. It is from the viewpoint of a tribalesque marauder
2) A fantasy horror based loosely on traditional folklore and Carpathian legends. It follows the path of a witch hunter

I actually tried to run both as an RP group setting. But the end result was a disastrous waste of time.

I actually can't count how many unfinished stories I have. I'd have to open at least three different storage devices and count out each story across a multitude of genres, omit the ones that are close copies, and get rid of duplicates. Some are barely a story and are just plot skeletons. Others are several chapters in. But none of them are anywhere close to being done. These stories go back to when I had to pull them out of a 3.5 floppy disk up to now when I just store them on a cloud.

I guess my most current two that have anything meaningful behind them are:
1) A Martian wasteland dystopia, after terraforming was abandoned. It is from the viewpoint of a tribalesque marauder
2) A fantasy horror based loosely on traditional folklore and Carpathian legends. It follows the path of a witch hunter

I actually tried to run both as an RP group setting. But the end result was a disastrous waste of time.

I'm barely event counting most of mine. Only the ones I'm interested in lol. But yeah, managing all the different stories and other stuff is a pain to get together and figure out what's worth continuing. But dang, that's quite some time to collect stories. I think I left some behind on my pentium when I upgraded to my own computer, but I can't recall if they were any good, so I suppose no loss there. But man, being able to look back that far would be awesome.

Both sound really interesting! I love the stories that touch on 'what could be', such as dystopian, and 'the beast that lurks' sort of thing with horror.

I'm barely event counting most of mine. Only the ones I'm interested in lol. But yeah, managing all the different stories and other stuff is a pain to get together and figure out what's worth continuing. But dang, that's quite some time to collect stories. I think I left some behind on my pentium when I upgraded to my own computer, but I can't recall if they were any good, so I suppose no loss there. But man, being able to look back that far would be awesome.

Both sound really interesting! I love the stories that touch on 'what could be', such as dystopian, and 'the beast that lurks' sort of thing with horror.
To be honest, I really only keep all that old stuff around in case I want to cannibalize any of the ideas into something new. Most of them are too old and the writing is very sub par, though. I dont even seethe value in like half of it besides nostalgia and looking back to see how I've progressed

To be honest, I really only keep all that old stuff around in case I want to cannibalize any of the ideas into something new. Most of them are too old and the writing is very sub par, though. I dont even seethe value in like half of it besides nostalgia and looking back to see how I've progressed

That's pretty smart! I know there are times when I see old works and think "That plot was awesome! But the writing... Man, that could use some work!". And hey, sometimes it doesn't need value to be worth keeping around if it means something. Even if that something is just "Benchmark to see how far I came". Unless you desperately need space, then that may be a different story...

That's pretty smart! I know there are times when I see old works and think "That plot was awesome! But the writing... Man, that could use some work!". And hey, sometimes it doesn't need value to be worth keeping around if it means something. Even if that something is just "Benchmark to see how far I came". Unless you desperately need space, then that may be a different story...
well, i have them stored all over the place: on computer files, backed up on thumb drives, backed up on sites like Google Docs, etc. So there is not lack of space. More so, I think I need to organize them. But that's over twenty five years of writing to go through.... not an easy task.

Was working on a story following a company of space marines and their exploits in a crusade against orks.

Their culture was a mixture of Inuit, roman, and just a tad little space pirate on top. They had an obsession with knicking things off of dead allies.

I really need to focus on my novel...Veil can probably testify to the fact that I'm slow as molasses with that! XD Just...my mental health contributes to lack of muse sometimes. Sometimes I can turn out pages for that book...considering it's the first of 28 (not counting the four companion books I plan on doing) and all the world building I've done-this takes precedence over my unfinished novels or unstarted novels on the backburner I have planned.

Kinda focusing on one of my fanfics, just a bit stuck on another point for chapter 3 planned out. It's an HP fanfic featuring Snarry (no it isn't that weird ass Snarry sexual relationship-how did that even get started?) but it's Gen Snape/Harry being the main characters on Potions and Snitches.

I no longer go to fanfiction to update as I've had too many assholes tell me to commit suicide and that I'm a drug addict living on welfare among other things so that's got me...sadly iffy from the site. I pulled off everything but the one story I'm working on (though haven't touched it in months) for an answer to one of DZ2's challenges.

Good thing for me though is I've whittled down my numerous fanfics to 2....
  • An answer to Haunted Howls on Potions and Snitches
  • Desolation (a last of us x harry potter crossover) that features Joel, Ellie, Harry, Snape and Teddy that will also be posted on Potions and Snitches (or as I call it P&S). Recently started The Last of Us Part 2 after buying it very recently and already played the 1st game.

Other fanfics...9 at the moment...are in stories not working on. My problem...I write too many bloody stories at the same time and then I get issues with them later on with writing. The lack of reviews despite a few followers/ton of favorites does not help my muse towards writing. Mostly it's Harry Potter fanfics, though I have done 2 Watership Down fanfics (my first two fanfics) and an inheritance cycle/harry potter crossover (first inheritance cycle fanfic) which is kinda shitty now that I read over it but keeping it up for kicks.

Oh, and I have a 1-shot pokemon fanfic and a 1-shot harry potter fanfic on my fanfiction account and the 1-shot harry potter fanfic is on P&S. Since that is only for Snape/Harry fanfics where you don't have to come across inappropriate crap (well inappropriate professor/student) that people seem to like with Snape/Harry.

Most of the fanfics are backed up on google drives. Novel is backed up on flash drive along with 11 fanfics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back