Other Unconditional love

bonesbo

certified corrupt circus creature
I know the denotation, but what about your personal connotation of unconditional love?

I don't believe in unconditional love, because I believe that there's a breaking point for everyone. The breaking point can range from a simple lie or something horrendous.

In my mind, love isn't a feeling per say, but an attitude, a stance if you will. To dedicate oneself for the sake of another, to wish for their happiness truly and deeply beyond one's own, even at the expense of one's own. The free wish to give one's whole to another. While this wish is certainly supported by the feeling or emotion one calls love, it is not a necessary component, and long after that emotion is gone, one can still bear love for another. In fact, one can even bear love without that emotion in the first place.

To me this is important to understand the idea of marriage and family, as well as to tell apart what is love and what is just lust. This is why you need to know someone properly, and love at first sight is impossible: You cannot have that attitude of free yet complete dedication for a complete stranger, it's fundamentally impossible.

As such I don't believe in unconditional love in the literal sense, at least not in human beings. I believe that we are too weak-willed to be able to truly love someone nomatter what, and in fact, our love has an inherent condition to it: If I love you, I love "you", if you were to be taken by someone and a doppleganger took your place, I would still love "you" not the doppleganger. Therefore being yourself is a condition one needs to love you. I do believe God loves in unconditionally in the literal sense though.

Beyond that though, I believe that love is by nature unconditional. That love is an atittude one takes in spite of oneself and not because of oneself. I believe one could love someone putting everything at risk for them- that if you truly love someone, you would be willing to.

I believe that there is unconditional love, it is something that is difficult for a flawed race of beings, namely humans to have but, I do believe we are all capable of giving it. Whether or not we receive it fry others is a different matter entirely. I also feel that none of us are truly worthy to receive something so precious and should work towards becoming someone can love unconditionally and hopefully someday be worthy of receiving it in return.

Great question by the way, very thought provoking.

When I think of unconditional love, my mind automatically goes to the 4 types of love found in the bible (lol, christian kid over herree).

Agape is the highest form of all these loves and it's considered as "sacrificial, unconditional love" so it's immeasurable, incomparable and pure love. As a Christian, we believe that Jesus demonstrated this love upon the cross.

The other types of loves are:
Philia (intimate love which are seen in powerful, emotional bonds between friends)
Storge (Love and affectionate bond that develops between parents, children, brothers, sisters, family etc)
Eros (sensual or romantic love - sexual desire and physical love)

If yall keen for a read, this is more info. But that's what comes to my mind when someone says 'unconditional love'
Explore 4 Different Types of Love in the Bible

In my mind, love isn't a feeling per say, but an attitude, a stance if you will. To dedicate oneself for the sake of another, to wish for their happiness truly and deeply beyond one's own, even at the expense of one's own. The free wish to give one's whole to another. While this wish is certainly supported by the feeling or emotion one calls love, it is not a necessary component, and long after that emotion is gone, one can still bear love for another. In fact, one can even bear love without that emotion in the first place.

To me this is important to understand the idea of marriage and family, as well as to tell apart what is love and what is just lust. This is why you need to know someone properly, and love at first sight is impossible: You cannot have that attitude of free yet complete dedication for a complete stranger, it's fundamentally impossible.

As such I don't believe in unconditional love in the literal sense, at least not in human beings. I believe that we are too weak-willed to be able to truly love someone nomatter what, and in fact, our love has an inherent condition to it: If I love you, I love "you", if you were to be taken by someone and a doppleganger took your place, I would still love "you" not the doppleganger. Therefore being yourself is a condition one needs to love you. I do believe God loves in unconditionally in the literal sense though.

Beyond that though, I believe that love is by nature unconditional. That love is an atittude one takes in spite of oneself and not because of oneself. I believe one could love someone putting everything at risk for them- that if you truly love someone, you would be willing to.
very well said and sums perfectly how I would describe it.

This is why I've never believed in love at first sight and I never will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back