• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Uncertainty and Unease (Paused)

Rob looked at her for a moment as if she asked something that was a very well known fact. Then he slightly smiled, looking down at the ground.

"I see how you wouldn't think of Lord Nyv as such." He spoke as if embarrassed for the elf. "But, he is a noble... despite everything that happened. I still hold him as such." He sighed softly. "I was a guard in his household. I still consider this to be my primary duty, just as Lord Nyvean's duty is to be an adviser to you... miss."

• Ask where's the library.
  • Continue on and hope to find the library.

Despite everything that happened, she mused with intrigue. What happened? Louisa found herself wanting to know more, but she knew she did not have the time, should she not want to arrive late to meet with Nyv. Plus, she doubted he'd appreciate her snooping. Had he not shown her kindness as well as become her adviser, she might disregard what concerns she had about sticking her nose in his business, but be things as they were, she did not want to boil bad blood between them. Curious as she was, Louisa figured it not her business anyway.

"I see," she nodded, glancing down the hallway. "Ah, do you mind giving directions to the library? I would rather not be late trying to seek it out on my own."

"Not at all." Rob answered, showing down the hallway. "Straight through, then turn left at the end and take a corridor to the right. It will lead you right at the doors of the library. You can't miss them, they are quite distinct."

It was easy to follow his directions and even easier to spot the doors. They were larger of others she passed by, ornately carved and with large brass knobs, they looked like they would make a better entry way than a door inside such a common corridor.

"Enter." Nyv's voice in her head urged her on. "For an Agent, you are not very stealthy. I could hear your thoughts from the other side of the fort."

05-gothic-interior-environment-art.jpg

The room was quite big with a tall ceiling and large windows. It was so out of the whole architecture of the fort that it looked to be completely added on some time after the fort was built. Nyv stood on a small dais in front of the window, turned toward Louisa with a mocking smile. He waved her over as soon as she saw her enter.

"Come here." He gestured at a desk next to him. "We have to go through everything now. But where do you want to start at, taking care of the keep, or getting a hold of new allies? Or that Book you are carrying. Which reminds me, we have to store it in a safe place."

• The keep.
  • New allies.
  • The Holy Book.
  • Ask about Nyv.
  • Ask about Rob/Terry/Raven.

Last edited:
"Thank you," Louisa dipped her head in appreciation. Of the three she'd met at the keep so far, she might just enjoy Rob's presence the most. He was helpful when needed and kept his distance. To say she didn't yearn for at least a trustworthy friend would be a lie, but Louisa had grown used to staying by her lonesome. Terry made it difficult with her close-proximity and Nyv, no easier, when he could hear her thoughts.

Arriving at the library, Louisa peered in tentatively at first. She heard Nyv's disembodied voice beckon her inside followed, of coursed, by a quip at her loud thoughts. Scowling, she entered. If I could quiet my mind, I would. Yet she made her way to the desk anyway, forcing her focus towards their job. Her air of professionalism, however, wavered at the mention of the Holy Book.

The stupid, foul, Holy Book. A portal between plains, as Logan had described. That was the last time she'd heard his voice; was one of the last things he'd ever said to her before being taken, or worse. "The Book," she said. It was supposed to have saved both of them, that night, not just her. Schooling her thoughts into line, so Nyv could not hear them so blatantly, was difficult. "I'd like to learn about the book."

"That book was created long before the Order of Blue Light. It is a relic of old times, forgotten now by most. It is very powerful and very dangerous, as you have seen yourself." Nyv spoke, looking at Louisa as if judging her feelings on it. Whether he was reading her mind or not, it was impossible to say. "In essence, the Book is sort of a portal, a means of travelling to the magical plains without any rituals and complicated preparations. However, Raven and I have studied every scripture about the Book that we could find when Alden took such profound interest in it." He paused, leaning over the table, his voice lowering. "The Book is written in a language of the creatures that dwell in the plains. It was probably created by them and it contains all of their knowledge. Complete mastery of magic, eternal life, even godhood. Anything would be possible if one knew how to use it."

There was a slight pause as Nyv examined the map on the desk. Finally he looked up at Louisa and continued.

"You can't keep carrying it around. We'll store it here. In the library, among other books. It will just be one among many, more difficult to find. You know, it was Raven who took it away from Alden and sent it a continent over. However, he underestimated him, did no think he would track it down so quickly. But Alden's paranoia was what kept the Book out of his reach. He was so eager to keep it a secret that he killed of his own men. And now he's never going to have his precious book. Serves him right."

• Ask about the keep.
  • Ask about new allies.
  • Ask about Nyv.

While listening to Nyv, she wondered how, despite the explanation, one material item - one book - had the power to destroy so much. Not only had it ruined Louisa's life, but likely the families of the Agents Alden had killed off long ago and anyone else unfortunate enough to get involved. Thinking she was the only one hurt by this abomination would be selfish, if not utterly foolish. Naive. She couldn't help but think of Idris as Nyv lowered his voice. How she, initially a mortal like Louisa, had ascended to the status of goddess.

Clearing her throat before speaking, Louisa nodded. "Storing it is fine," she said. Truth be told, after so long, she didn't want the book. The power it held was tempting - especially the mastery of magic bit - but she had such a sore history with the object that it'd feel like making a deal with the devil should she ever consider learning from it. She'd already made a similar mistake once, back in Myrr. Instead of comment on Alden never obtaining the book, she pushed towards a lighter subject. Something that didn't pull at her heart strings as much as the current one.

"Allies," she said instinctively, then paused. Did she want to press for more allies when she hardly knew her current ones? Pursing her lips, Louisa pondered the thought in her head - shamelessly so, considering she was aware Nyv could hear. A moment later, she looked at him. Who are you, exactly, Nyv? Figured it best to keep this conversation quiet, since he hadn't exactly introduced his title from the beginning. Rather, Lord Nyvean?

"What, giving up on using your tongue already?" Nyv spoke through a chuckle. "Even Raven persisted on talking to me through conventional means for more than a year before he started using his thoughts." His grin turned into a stretched smile as he fell silent, but his words echoed in Louisa's mind. "Robert told you this, didn't he? I knew he would, he insists on using that title, even though I have long stopped using it. I was a noble once. My family still is, but I have chosen a different path. They are pure blooded forest elves after all and they cherish the tradition. I did not, so here I am. Only Nyv, please, no matter what Robert says." He snorted and spoke aloud. "Lord Nyvean, really. I wish he would stop, but old habits die hard, I guess. Rob is a loyal man, if a bit hardheaded."

• Ask about the keep.
  • Ask about new allies.
  • No more questions.

It was odd, to say the least, communicating via her thoughts. Not to mention messy; the human mind was naturally littered with subconscious thoughts, those of which interrupted her 'talking' significantly. One second she was curious about his title, the next, albeit less loudly, whether or not cats cared about the coarseness of their fur as much humans did their hair. She was surprised he could decipher her main question in all of the noise, though figured he had plenty of practice doing so.

"I only did so in case-..." Louisa cut herself off, forcing herself to think the statement instead. Practice made perfect, after all. I was not sure if it was a sensitive topic, she explained, I figured you would appreciate the privacy. "Though I-" Her lips pursed at having resorted to speaking again. It was just so natural to converse orally than telepathically. Sighing, she resigned herself to it. "I suppose my question did not leave much for that. Apologies." After a moment, she nodded. "Nyv, it is. So... what can you tell me about the others?"

Specifically Terry, she thought. This time she would keep her actual mouth shut; the woman's piercing blue eyes and wolfish grin flashed through her mind. What would Terry think of her snooping, especially after earlier? After having walked in on her in the bath? Louisa hardly had time to school her expression into one of neutrality - much less her thoughts. She groaned and dragged a hand down her face. "I'm not good at this... scrap that question," she said, "and anything else in my head you might have seen." Her face burned with embarrassment, something Louisa figured she'd just have to get used to with a mind reader around. Eventually.

"What about the keep, instead? Is there anything that needs specific attention?"

Nyv chuckled again. "I can't see the images in your mind, I can only hear the words you speak internally. It's like reading a book for me. Perhaps it is difficult to explain." He waved a hand, dismissing that line of conversation.

"The keep is well supplies for the moment. Raven will take care of it. It is quite large as you have seen, ready for any more allies we bring. And that is really why I have wanted to talk to you."

He pointed at the map, encircling the image of Fell's Keep on the parchment.

"We have to start with our contacts first thing in the morning. I know you need some rest, but the more time we waste means more time for Alden to prepare. So it is best we leave right away. Now, where we go is up to you." He pointed at a city named Nihaya. "Raven wants us to visit Nihaya first, as one of his old friends resides here and he wants us to get him before anyone else. Also we have Terry as a guide, she knows her way around that place. But... I'd prefer a different path." He pointed at Pella's Wish. "I have a contact here. A friend, you can say. He expressed interest in getting behind our cause, but he has gone silent the past two months. I'm afraid something might have happened to him." He sighed. "Otherwise, we have a person of interest in Crasmere too and since Zalfari is known by its renowned mercenary clans, we are bound to get some interest there too. It is your choice, really."

• Nihaya,
  • Pella's Wish.
  • Zalfari.
  • Crasmere.

Louisa relaxed - at least he wasn't all seeing. Now that she knew more about how his abilities worked, she felt more at ease around him. If only slightly. Craning her head to look at the map, she adopted a thoughtful expression...

On one hand, she wanted to see Nihaya simply for the fighting technique she'd taken so much interest in. Yet, Pella's Wish held a potential ally that may need their help. Both clocks were ticking and, as far as Louisa knew, one of them could have already expired. Zalfari and Crasmere seemed the least priorities, with Zalfari being the last. Mercenaries were helpful at the cost of coin, but she'd never throw her lot with them in terms of loyalty. Crasmere did seem to be the closest of them all, however.

Tapping her fingers against the desk, Louisa weighed her options: Cut the time in practically half and visited Crasmere, but risk losing two potential allies close to Raven and Nyv; go to Pella's wish to find someone who may or may not be dead, but Nyv expressed worry for; go to Nihaya, which they seemed the most equipped for, to find a contact close to Raven.

The practical answer was Nihaya, but Louisa felt torn. She eyed Pella's Wish on the map and glanced at Nyv. With people actually on her side, now, she felt closer to who she'd been four years ago - the girl with a bleeding heart - yet hadn't that been the one to land her in all of her trouble? Still, she grasped at what remained of her old self, even if it was... stupid.

"Pella's Wish," she said finally, feeling suddenly like that was the worst decision of all.

"I am so glad." Nyv looked at her with eyes that were much kinder than was usual for him. The contact he had in Pella's Wish seem to mean to him more than he was willing to admit. "I'll have everything packed and ready. We leave in the morning."

--

The morning came quickly and the group was standing on their mounts in the slightly chilly air of the mountainside. Nyv and Rob had packed everything, though they packed lightly in order to travel faster. Last night Nyv hid The Holy Book in the library in a place that was now only known to him and Louisa. It was one less burden for her to carry.

Robert, Terry and Nyv all set out to accompany Louisa to Pella's Wish. Nyv estimated it would take around ten days to reach it even so unencumbered as they were, with fresh mounts and good riders. Traveling by a ship could have been faster, but their ship was all the way in Torhen, so it did not make that much difference.

--

1630-c88f14c0495e094747e2cacc73dd10ebfcba7b67.png

The first day rolled slowly, they rode down the mountain and then south west, following a stream that would lead them to a road that led in the direction of the settlement they wanted to reach. Terry looked to be enjoying the ride. She would often spur her mount ahead to scout, then circle all the way back, conversing with her gray mare on a language that Louisa did not understand. At times she would fall in line beside the rest of them, giving Nyv an unsatisfied look, which must have meant that he scolded her internally. Robert was silent most of the time, but whenever Nyv spoke up or stopped to examine the map, he would look a the elf with attention, as if expecting an order.

• Ride beside Rob.
  • Nyv.
  • Terry.

Last edited:
The fresh air was nice and all, as was the company, but Louisa would periodically look over her shoulder as though expecting Agents to appear out of nowhere. She'd felt safe in the keep, but back out in the world beyond stone walls? Neutral ground meant Alden's influence could be anywhere. Terry's enthusiasm did little to ease her worries - moving around so much would make them more conspicuous - but at least someone found enjoyment in the ride. As it were, Louisa was just a hair's width short of miserable.

Fingers gripped tightly around Sullivan II's reins, she'd ride closer to Rob than any of the others. Not to start conversation herself, but because he appeared calmer than Terry and she did not want to distract Nyv from navigating. That and he was nice. Kindness counted for something, as did his professionalism. At the thought, her eyes flicked towards Nyv. A foreboding feeling had begun swirling in her gut the moment she decided on Pella's Wish, yet with how visibly he had brightened in the library, she couldn't find it in herself to completely regret the decision.

Who knew? Maybe their expedition would be fruitful. She did have a tendency to worry over every little thing; even Louisa had to admit that.

Rob proved to be rather interesting company. He seemed to know the road well and when he spotted Louisa looking around he started pointing at various mountains and hills, explaining what laid which way.

"Those snowy peaks to the north are the ridges of the Crass mountain. At the bottom of it lies Crasmere. A big city, very prosperous."
"Ahead of us are the plains, for another ten kilometers, then we will go through a forest."
"A little way down lies the road, though I would prefer we stuck to the grassy plains, it is safer this way."
"The weather in these parts is mild, we could sleep in the open every night without a need for a fire. Though we should build a fire to prepare a decent meal."

He would stop at times abruptly, possibly when Nyv reached out to him, and then he would move to a new topic. Whether he talked to introduce Louisa to the parts unfamiliar to her, or simply to feel the silence, it was impossible to say.

"Let's turn south and down to the path." Terry called out, galloping toward them from up ahead. "It's clear, there's no one on the road for kilometers in both ways."

"It's better to stay off it for now. It is too open down there." Rob objected. "Better to continue forward and through the forest."

"What? No, that would lengthen out journey too much!" Terry scowled.

"The road is the faster path." Nyv added. "I would also prefer we follow the stream down to it."

• Follow the road
  • Continue off road.

Rob's knowledge and willingness to share it put her more at ease. Throughout the ride, Louisa found herself listening intently, the urge to look over her shoulder for danger slowly ebbing away. Once upon a time, she'd preferred socializing over learning, but those days had long since left her; the more she knew about the world around her, now, the better. She only wished she'd been more aware of her surroundings under Alden's wing. Staying off road seemed the safest bet - and if anything, Louisa desired safety - but it would take longer than travelling a more risky route. Teeth wearing at her bottom lip, Louisa considered her options.

If they ran into trouble, presumably with Alden's Agents, it might slow them down as much as staying on their current path, considering the possibility of injuring or worse. Yet... if nothing happened, they would arrive at their destination sooner. In some way, this expedition was a rescue mission, was it not? She glanced at Nyv. "If you are capable of hearing my thoughts across the keep, are you able to hear approaching enemies? If so, then the road should be fine." Another twist in her gut - a warning from her instincts to change her answer. Yet, surrounded by three allies and under pressure of a time limit, Louisa ignored it.

"No, it doesn't work that way, unfortunately." Nyv shook his head. "I am not all powerful. I can only hear your thoughts because I spent enough time around you on that ship. I am familiar with your thought process. As well as everyone else's in our group." He paused, looking downslope to the road. "However, if a complete stranger wanted to ambush us, I would be powerless to stop them."

"I scouted ahead. There's no one around." Terry rolled her eyes.

"Not at the moment, but a rider can catch up to us very quickly down the road. Or someone could be waiting for us a bit further off." Rob noted.

"Yeah, but they can set up an ambush in the forest easier than on the open road." Terry was crossing her arms now, making Rob sigh in resignation.

"That's a fair point. Still, I would feel to exposed. But, I guess, if Alden knows about miss De Rosa's location already then none of the paths are safe enough."

• Follow the road.
  • Continue off road.

Pursing her lips, Louisa rolled the new information over in her head. "Alright, well..." Indecision would be the death of her, she knew it, so tried to keep the hesitation to a minimum. The last thing she wanted was to come all this way to find their potential ally dead because she couldn't make up her mind. The sooner they reached them, the better. "Alright, alright, the road. We will take the road." Looked to Rob apologetically. "Truth be told, I would much prefer continuing off-road, but... we cannot take too much time, in this situation."

For some reason, an old face obscured by a dark hood popped in her mind. Deep red eyes, pale skin. Louisa frowned. She didn't often think of Rhain - not since leaving Myrr behind - but when she did, it was during times like this. She hadn't realized it back then, but she learned a lot from him. Like, for example, how sometimes the safest path would cause the most trouble. After so long she couldn't remember Logan's old employer's name but she would never forget his bloodstained sheets. She'd arrived too late.

In that situation, she hadn't known she was on so strict a time constraint. But now? She knew better.

Rob did not seem to be too disappointed with her decision, or he was not used to showing his disappointment. He looked to be the man who knew when to give input and when to stay silent and follow orders. They moved to follow the stream down the slight slope and toward the well trodden dirt path that led to the west through the plains, passing by a forest.

The first third of their journey passed by without any trouble. They slept on the hard ground for three nights and got up with dawn to continue the ride. It was not terribly uncomfortable, because, as Rob said, the climate was mild and they were well provisioned. Also Terry proved to be quite a hunter. As soon as they made camp she would disappear over the slopes somewhere, or into the forest a little way off the path, and come back with a rabbit or at least a squirrel. The strange thing was that she carried no weapons with her.

Rob stuck close to Nyv at most times and would always take the first watch when they prepared to sleep. As nights passed by he started getting gradually more nervous and would stay on watch an hour longer each night. However, the nights and days were uneventful.

Until the fourth one.

--

Louisa was awoken by a nudge and a sharp whisper close to her ear.

"Take out your weapons slowly. We are not alone." It was Rob. He crouched next to her, barely visible in the weak moonlight. The fire was extinguished and Louisa could not see the other two companions, but soon she heard Nyv's voice in her head.

"Terry went over that hill across the road half an hour ago. She did not return yet." The elf said and his voice sounded shaken.

• Listen to Rob.
  • Ask Nyv for more information.
  • Look around and try to see if anyone is near.

Things had seemed fine. Good, even. But, as always, something was bound to go wrong. Louisa stiffened in her spot on the ground and gave no indication she'd heard Rob's words except for a subtle twitch of her eyebrow. Having slept with her hand under her pack - a makeshift pillow, in this case - at least one hand had inconspicuous access to an immediate weapon. Carefully, she felt around for it and wrapped fingers around the hilt. She did not like the waver to Nyv's voice, not one bit.

As subtly as she could, she inched her exposed hand towards her boot, that of which held her other dagger.

"Slowly." Rob whispered, pulling back softly, unsheathing his longsword. Louisa could see Nyv now too, a little further away, next to the horses. The animals neighed nervously. Then came a shriek. And they appeared.

Undead_Zombie_Concept_Art_01_Horia_Dociu.jpg

"Undead!" Rob cried out, one hand covering his ear as the closest of the monsters let out another piercing shriek.

"Oh, no. They are not conscious creatures, my powers are useless against them." Nyv spoke in Louisa's mind. She could see him cowering behind the nervous horses.

There were at least five of the undead approaching them at a steady pace. They were not fast and the group would be able to outrun them. However, Terry was nowhere to be seen and Nyv had said that she had gone in the direction from which the undead came. You couldn't really kill what is already dead, but cutting off their limbs would incapacitate them. But they also did not know if this was all of them. The visibility was very poor and easily more of the unnatural creatures could be lurking behind the hills.

• Stay and fight them.
  • Go through them to look for Terry.
  • Send one of the group to find Terry, while the others distract them.
  • Run away.

Wincing at the shriek, Louisa quickly stood. Using her bow would be advantageous now were it not for the lack of visibility so she stuck with her daggers. She let out a quiet curse, counting the five approaching monsters and hearing Nyv in her mind. This was not a fight worth risking, but... "Rob, take Nyv and the horses and run," she said. Tried finding an opening between the walking corpses. "Distract them on your way out. I'm going to look for Terry."

Quickly, she moved towards what she thought was a gap to the other side. With the darkness surrounding her, Louisa couldn't be entirely sure it'd be a straight shot, but gods did she hope so.

Rob simply nodded, he did not need much convincing, as he must have been already intent on rushing to Nyv's side. Through darkness Louisa could see him rush off, no need to be silent any longer, pick up Nyv and place him in the saddle like he was a child. They took Louisa's horse with them too, all three of the animals neighing louder now. This attracted the attention of the undead instantly, as their turned their hollow eye sockets to follow the horses, like they could see them.

"Go!" Nyv called out in her mind.

As the undead turned to follow the two men, which did not go far, rather were circling around them, close enough for Louisa to still see them in the moonlight, she was able to slip between the shambling skeletons and by the side of the hill.

Only to almost get herself impaled onto a spear. One of the undead was standing at the bottom of the hill, now turned toward Louisa growling menacingly. It moved to strike her with its weapon. Beyond it, Louisa could see a larger shape. A horse, lying on the ground, not moving.

• Attack the undead.
  • Evade the undead.
  • Go back.

Breathing heavy - that spear had come far too close for comfort - Louisa had half a mind to fight back, just to get the monster out of her way. Then her eye caught on the horse in the background and her breath hitched. She hadn't the time to formulate an attack strategy before the weapon came at her again. Instinctively, she tried to evade it. Would try to maneuver around it if she could; she needed to find Terry.

Hopefully alive.

The undead warrior was taller than Louisa and probably stronger, but it was slower. This gave her the opportunity to slip underneath the spear and run past it and to the horse before it even managed to turn around. The horse was unmistakably Terry's and it was also unmistakably dead. Freshly killed, with its entrails sprawled on the grass underneath. Louisa approached to inspect it closer. And suddenly a hand grabbed her ankle.

"Wait, wait!" Terry exclaimed, already expecting to be shivved by a surprised Louisa.

The woman was stuck underneath her fallen horse, one leg trapped with its heavy body.

"I think it's broken." She said with a pained grimace.

The undead Louisa just passed would be on them in some dozen paces.

• Call out to Nyv to get them to help.
  • Try moving the horse to get Terry out of there.
  • Deal with the undead first.

Last edited:
Relief washed through her at the sight of Terry but began ebbing away at mention of a broken foot. Louisa scowled at the situation. "Keep an eye out for more undead," she said. Then, mentally, she called out to Nyv as loud as she could - 'I found Terry but she is stuck under her horse. We need help!' - before zipping away from the horse. That spear looked frightening; she didn't want to evade it close to Terry just to have it strike her teammate down. Should the undead follow her a few paces away, Louisa planned to strike one of its hand with her daggers. If she could disarm it, things might be easier.

There was no response from Nyv. The undead turned to follow Louisa, apparently more interested in her movement, than in Terry that tried to remain inconspicuous on the ground. It raised its spear to strike, but Louisa evaded once again with ease. Her attempt to strike at its hand worked, sort of. Two of its fingers dropped to the ground and the spear hung sort of wobbly in its hand now, but it could still land a good blow, if it managed to catch up.

"Shit!" Terry suddenly cursed and Louisa saw another shambler coming close to her, a step away only, its arms reaching toward her neck.

"Arrgh!" Someone let out a war cry and a horse whooshed past Louisa to slam into the unarmed undead, sending it flying across the field.

"Fashionably arriving in the last moment!" Nyv grinned triumphantly, though he did not really do anything, Rob was the one who charged into the fray while the elf simply trotted up to Louisa leading her horse with him, carefully evading her attacker.

"Come help." Rob called, dismounting and trying to lift the dead horse.

• Keep the undead away from them, while Nyv and Rob get Terry out.
  • Help Rob get Terry out, while Nyv serves as a distraction.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back