• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Unbowed [Closed]

Characters
Here
Other
Here
Rhaegar would not hasten his pace to get ahead or up the stairs quickly. There’d be no sprinting to the top, no racing Arthur, or even Oberyn. A part of him knew he could enjoy those foolish pleasures later – and again – but another part found some small irritation with the thought it wasn’t something he could share with Elia.

Nonetheless, he pushed it out of mind and listened to the siblings banter, while considering their questions.

He shook his head, “I am afraid that, to my knowledge, there are no passages that do not involve stairs,” there were other passages, “This is built on Visenya’s Hill, there is no low point of access, and no sloping access, either,” such things had not been considered when it was built, not even access to the catacombs beneath, or the vaults of jewelry and history.

Elia was breathing harder as they reached the halfway point. Rhaegar took it as a moment to pause, particularly as it was upon one of the larger platforms before the next stage of stairs.

“Perhaps you can bring your ideas for easier transport to the attention of our maester, Lady Saige,” Rhaegar suggested, glancing back to her. He didn’t know what sorts of traveling companions she had, or how she might have traveled elsewhere, but if she knew ways around stairs, it’d be welcome, he could already tell. “But look,” he gestured, “It’s harder to see from the top platform without some neck strain, but you can see all seven towers from here.”

Elia looked, leaning into Rhaegar as she did so, noting all the bells, and the way the light played on the crystal dome.

“When are the bells rung?” Elia asked. “Are they used for time?” She knew in some locations they were, though she hadn’t heard them here.

Rhaegar shook his head, “No. They’re rung for notable events, such as the birth of royalty, the death of a king, or a royal wedding.”

Her eyes seemed to glisten with the thought of hearing those bells on her own wedding day, and Rhaegar was glad for it. She was already looking too tired.

~***~

Aemilia allowed Rhaella to move to her vanity, to sit. She reached over the woman’s shoulder to take the comb from upon it, and she began to gently work it through those flowing silver locks. There wasn’t that much to do, few knots to it. Rhaella had nearly put herself together, but nearly wasn’t perfect. Not enough for someone like Aemilia, anyways.

Still, the process was a calming one, at least for her, and made it much easier to listen to the Queen ramble a little without interruption. Just the steady work, and soft locks.

The next time they would be more prepared. Aemilia was certain of that, no matter how she disliked the idea of ‘next time’. Next time, too, Rhaella would not be disrupted too soon, since she would know where Lady Aemilia had gone.

Aemilia did notice that Rhaella only had freedom in the keep. ‘Pity.’ Likely, Rhaella wouldn’t take to disguise ideas anytime soon, but she might suggest it later. It wouldn’t be too difficult to taint Rhaella’s hair and wash it out. Her hair was such a light hue that it’d take any color given, though Aemilia would have to avoid black if she wanted it to wash out quick.

Or just keep her hooded, or veiled.

She could hardly abide the thought of Rhaella being so confined through all this. So trapped. “I am certain I can handle watching over Viserys during these times. I spent some of the time with Cersei as it was,” not as young as Viserys by far, but an indication of sorts that she didn’t imagine she’d mind dealing with him, much at all. “I am finding I rather enjoy the young lioness, even if she has teeth.”

She had no real way of knowing if such comments could help or hurt future arrangements with Cersei, but…well, she was trying. “Lord Tywin suggested I may find you back at your quarters when I returned Cersei to the Tower. I was not sure how long to be away, or if you would return here, so I am grateful to him for being…a touch more aware.”

Now she knew this much, at least. “I am sorry that I did not think to ask more earlier,” though it seemed Rhaella had not thought such a thing would happen so soon, either. “What freedoms does the young prince have, Your Grace? That I may know the boundaries when I am overlooking his care.”

Saige couldn’t help but wonder who thought so many stairs were a good idea, particularly as they stopped halfway up and Elia tried to subtly catch her breath. Why couldn’t they build the Sept at the bottom of the hill? Well, probably because they weren’t thinking of the chronically-ill woman that would try to ascend those stairs hundreds of years later. Still...did they not get tired then?

Instead of dwelling on why the people who were now one with the earth again didn’t build their place of worship at a lower altitude, Saige turned her attention to her company. “Perhaps,” she agreed to Rhaegar’s suggestion, once again turning her attention to the seven towers and their bells. She squinted at them as the light from the sun bounced off the dome roof.

She listened as Rhaegar rattled off why’d they’d ring. ‘Death of a king…’ That sounded lovely to her, as she recalled the night before. But, she couldn’t say that. “I can’t wait to hear them ring,” she did say that. For Elia’s wedding, of course. At least, that's what it would likely be interpreted as.

The corner’s of Elia’s lips pulled up gently, in a small smile. Just the thought of how much excitement hearing those bells would bring motivated her. She wasn’t doing any sprinting up the steps, of course, but she inhaled deeply. Catching her breath just about as much as she could. “Well, we’re halfway there. I’m sure the view of the inside is just as lovely.” The anticipation was killing her. Faster than exhaustion.

Well, exhaustion wasn’t killing her. She was just tired. But, she figured she could rest better once they finally surmounted the stairs, rather than lounging about the platform halfway up. She didn’t want to think about having to go back down them, but at least down was easier than up.

“After this, I have a feeling the Dragon Pit won’t be able to compare,” Saige mused, a subtle hint to suggest that maybe they shouldn’t venture any further after this. And it wasn’t like it would be going anywhere. Elia was tired, she needed to rest, fully, soon.

-

Rhaella relaxed against the back of her chair, her breathing evening out. Her eyes closed for just a few moments longer than it took to blink, relishing in the gentle feeling of tingles wandering up the back of her neck. Relishing in the comforting gesture Aemilia extended. In a gentle touch, a concept that was becoming all too foreign to her.

Rhaella had mostly been able to get the large tangles out before Aemilia came in. There were only small snags left, but Aemilia didn’t have to battle any knots. Better for the both of them.

The queen appreciated Aemi’s gesture. Sure, it was partly an aspect of her position as a handmaiden, but Rhaella hadn’t asked her for this. Offering comfort was outside of her obligations, dealing with Rhaella while she was in this state was outside of her obligations.

It made her sad to think even with how quick Rhaella connected with Aemilia, she’d likely have to send her away like all the others. Before she got hurt or harassed. Rhaella hoped that time wouldn’t come, or at least, wouldn’t come any time soon.

Rhaella’s eyes opened again at the mention of Aemilia spending time with Cersei. Her brows knitted together with intrigue and she smiled at Aemilia’s reflection. “Oh? She is a lovely girl. She’s just...a lot like her father. And a little unrefined, but weren’t we all at her age.” Losing her mother probably didn’t help, nor did being away from her home. “I think it’ll be nice for her, to have you around,” Rhaella mused. Someone from the west, and someone not terribly older than her.

And Tywin, “A touch more aware is a nice way to put it. That man knows too much about everything here. Though, I suppose for a man in his position, that’s a good thing.” Rhaella liked Tywin enough. He’d been respectful to her, even though his relationship with the King often backfired on her.

She sighed, waving her hand at Aemilia’s apology. It wasn’t needed. “Well, he’s not allowed in the kitchens. He’s obsessed with dragons, thinks he’s immune to being burned. Nor the dungeons. But other than that, as long as he’s supervised, he doesn’t have much restriction.”

Rhaegar understood the hint well enough as they moved. He was almost surprised that he did – and questioned it a moment. Was Saige instead issuing a challenge? He wouldn’t take it as such as he led on to the next set of stairs, “The Dragon Pit has its own majesty, but I think it might be a bit much to have both in one day. It would be good to take time to appreciate both without a rush, and there’s much to see here.”

Which was true enough. The Sept of Baelor was large, and there were plenty of details missed in the first look at it.

Not to mention things were updated from time to time.

There would be nothing terribly interesting going on today, except perhaps a few more candles than usual due to the arrival of the Dornish – those wishing for health for Elia now that she was in their minds, or for a happy royal wedding. The Gods knew they needed something happy to celebrate.

Elia didn’t seem inclined to protest as they reached the top, and she got a look at the doors and the dome closer up. She was also now able to see the gardens that surrounded it and wove between the towers. The gardens were known to host celebrations as well – each one named for one of the Gods.

Well, save the Stranger. There was no garden to the Stranger.

Elia was excited to continue ahead, into the Sept, rather than take a look at the gardens. Rhaegar didn’t hold her back, stepping forward, and parting from her side simply to open the door for all of them, and into the Hall of Lamps.

Elia’s gasp was confirmation enough of her thoughts as she stepped under all the multicolored lights suspended above.

~***~

Aemilia laughed a little at Rhaella’s comments on Cersei. Unrefined, but like her father. The two thoughts shouldn’t pair together, and yet it seemed a fairly apt description, “I’ve still plenty of growing to do myself,” she said, rather than completely agree that Cersei was unrefined. It was a part of why she liked Cersei.

There was still some terrible, wonderful honesty to her cleverness. “But I certainly hope she enjoys my presence as I enjoy hers, no matter her father being terribly well-informed.” It was a nice way of putting it, and Rhaella agreed, as well.

Tywin knew too much, but he wasn’t wielding that as he could. “And I promise I will not force Viserys to humor her long if he is not keen on it, when I watch him,” she added, “I think I can find plenty to keep him entertained within those limits. Certainly, much about dragons.” She could make up stories, or find stories – but she could only too easily imagine taking him on a few trips outside of the Keep.

He could hear stories of dragons from across the sea.

See dragons upon the prow of ships.

“And I promise not to humor his opinion about fire,” she added as something of an afterthought. “Are there any particular restrictions you would like me to enforce, Your Grace? I will honor your wishes as his mother.”

Not as Queen, no, but his mother. That had more power, in her opinion.

With the hair combed through, she reached over the Queen’s shoulder to place the comb back on the vanity. She did venture, “And is there any way you would like your hair?” drawing her hand back, letting her fingers brush over the scalp, lightly tugging a few strands on the way back, and letting them flutter back into their places. “It’s lovely down.” But loose hair was not often ‘proper’, no matter how beautiful, on women.

Saige was thankful Rhaegar seemed to get her hint. She didn’t mean to slander the Dragon Pit, even if it was just an old arena. But she knew Elia couldn’t handle that much activity in one day. And it seemed Elia would be happier to spend that time exploring the sept instead.

Saige was always happy to see her sister enthused by something. She heard Elia’s gasp before she herself even entered the structure. She was in the middle of mumbling a thank you to Rhaegar, for holding the door for them, when she lost her train of thought. “Oh,” the pleasant tone was evident in her voice. Surprised, she was. Based on much of the city, she wasn’t quite sure what would be classified as pretty anymore. But the Sept certainly was that.

The double doors that conjoined the Hall with the rest of the Sept were propped open when they entered, allowing a look straight through to the Sept itself. Marble floors spread across the room, seven altars rested around the room, a varying amount of candles adorning each one.

“Oh...this is so…” Elia was almost at a loss for words, eager to see the rest of the Sept that she rushed--well, rushed for Elia--through the Hall.

“Lovely?” Saige offered.

“Yes!” Elia paused to wait for the others. “I’m sorry if I’m…” Well, she didn’t know what she was like. Inappropriate, maybe? “It’s just...the Sept is very pretty.” It wasn’t like they didn’t have stunning buildings or scenery in Dorne. They did, and Elia loved Dorne. But just thinking about it...that this was where her wedding would be held. Her wedding to the Prince. Well, Elia had her dreamy moments. This was one of them.

-

Rhaella was admittedly a little thrown when Aemilia asked if there were any restrictions Rhaella wanted enforced. As a mother. She blinked a bit, not really having been asked that clarification before. She supposed because it never mattered what she wanted, really. If it did, she had a long list of things she’d want enforced. Things he couldn’t do, couldn’t eat, couldn’t go.

“Well, much of the same. Though, don’t let him talk you into having sweets. He eats too many. And I know he can be...difficult, but don’t be afraid to put your foot down with him. I understand it’s easier to give into what he wants sometimes, but…” He got away with too much. Aerys often dismissed Rhaella’s requests to actually parent her son. Something about him being a prince, that he could do what he wanted.

Rhaella felt they got lucky with Rhaegar. He was a pleasant child, hardly fussy. Aerys thought he could treat Viserys the same way, but they were different children.

Speaking of Aerys, “And if…you could avoid the great hall, typically.” Not only was that where whatever Aerys wanted from Rhaella would take place--which Rhaella, desperately, wanted Viserys to avoid--that was where Aerys typically was anyway, never much one for wandering outside of the hall or his own room. It made avoiding him easy enough. And the further Viserys was from Aerys, the more likely the King would be to give up on whatever quest he might have involving Viserys. The better chance she would have of distracting him from it.

Or maybe he’d be angrier. Either way, it was better for both Aemilia and Viserys to avoid it. “And...well, I’m sure there’ll be a chance for me to rant away.” Because Rhaella could do just that when it came to Viserys. She breathed. “Thank you,” she said. It was a broad thanks, but covered by Aemilia’s compliment on her hair. Rhaella would agree, she did like it down.

But it wasn’t proper. Again, something her husband liked to comment on, often enough. “A simple braid would do, if you would.” No need for much else, and it kept it all back.

Rhaegar gave a slow nod as Elia finished her thoughts, and tried to apologize, “It is a lovely place,” he agreed, a smile touching his lips as she seemed uncertain of her reaction, “You are free to enjoy it, Elia – I am sure even the Gods appreciate a little bit of enthusiasm, now and then, for their places of worship.”

Was a sept not meant to bring wonder and awe?

Perhaps that was meant to be shown in solemnity, but he saw no harm in excitement and commentary over the beauty of it, and he knew the sept was that. More than most, and more than most places, in general.

Oberyn was not so enthralled, but that was not entirely unexpected. It was a beautiful place, of course, and it was still admirable in many ways, but it was not something he’d lose his breath over. He came in before Ser Dayne, who took the door from Rhaegar and let him step on through, to follow down the hall.

He paused briefly at Saige’s side, to inquire, “Though I know Elia is of the Seven, I will not pretend to know how she prefers to practice,” he indicated, “Can you offer any insight that I may not inadvertently cause her upset?”

It was why he delayed a moment in moving towards the actual sept. If Elia was more inclined to private or quiet worship, he wouldn’t want to start by coming in and addressing some of the history or aspects of the sept – of course, Elia may have no plans to worship at all, but he knew of some who immediately went about lighting candles in a new sept to show proper reverence to the gods.

~***~

Aemilia committed the comments to memory. No sweets. He had enough sweets. And to put her foot down. That might come back to bite her, if Viserys ever complained to Aerys. She’d just have to make sure he didn’t have reason to complain, or saw the benefits to keeping her around. Dragon stories would likely be the way to that, but that would get old eventually.

She’d figure it out, the more time she spent with him.

And she would avoid the Great Hall.

“Of course, your grace,” Aemilia began to braid all of those luxurious strands back, making it a bit looser than most braids would be. Then again, Rhaella wasn’t likely going far, and a need to keep it tight was likely unnecessary right then. “I will certainly listen when you think of more, with regards to Viserys, but for now I think that is plenty to go on for keeping him occupied to your wishes.”

With the braid finished, she reached for a pin to make sure it wouldn’t just fall out. Rhaella’s hair felt like it would easily slip free of any style it was put into, another reason why the loose strands seemed so beautiful when they were all down.

Saige wasn’t at all surprised by Oberyn’s reacting to the Sept. Or rather lack thereof. She knew her brother could appreciate it , but there were few things that left him in a state of awe.

Saige nearly chuckled at Rhaegar and his inquiry. Nearly, for she resisted that urge. She did allow a smile, however. “You’re a very thoughtful man, Your Grace,” there was no patronizing in her voice. It was simply an observation, a genuine comment. “I appreciate that. I’m sure my siblings do as well.” She idly added.

The Martells did, technically, follow the Seven. Very lax regarding it, however. Which was why Saige was amused. He couldn’t possibly upset Elia in that way, Saige was fairly certain.

She waved her hand dismissively. “Elia isn’t....particular about how she practices.” Of all of them, Elia was probably a better follower of the faith. But she was still rather casual about practicing it. Mostly worshipped when it was convenient. She might do something while they were there, but, “I’m sure she wouldn’t mind your intrusion,” she meant that as a jest, as he wouldn’t really be intruding.

“She’d probably enjoy any comments you have for her,” because Saige could tell he had much to say about it, but didn’t want to interrupt Elia with it if she were to favor practicing her beliefs. “I wouldn’t mind learning a thing or two, either.” Her hand found his shoulder in a friendly gesture. Only, briefly did she consider the events of the night before. And maybe it was not appropriate, him being a prince and all. So her hand fell, and she offered a fleeting apology as she moved to join her siblings and their other company.

-

Rhaella exhaled as Aemilia put the finishing touches in her braid. She felt better. At least, more at ease than she did when Aemilia had come knocking. Such a simple gesture of Aemilia messing with her hair, talking a little bit, it was surprising how effective it was. “I have no doubt you’ll be able to navigate whatever is thrown at you. And I’ll try to provide better instruction, from now on.”

So there wasn’t a moment where Aemilia was uncertain.

When Aemilia finished braiding Rhaella’s hair, Rhaella pulled the braid over her shoulder. Aemilia was right to assume Rhaella had the type of hair that would fall from it’s confines easily, as some of the shorter pieces around her face slipped out of the braid. It was looser than what she was used to, typically her braids were tight. Meant to wrap around in a plait or supplement another hairstyle. But Rhaella found she actually preferred the loose braid Aemi had given her, simple as it was.

“Thank you, Lady Aemilia.” Rhaella stood from her seat, smoothing out the front of her dress once again. She turned to face Aemilia, smiling at the other woman. “I’ve appreciated your company.”

She sighed, then, but it wasn’t a heavy one. It was light, as if she were exhaling all her worries in one breath. “I suppose I should track down that son of mine. I still have some things I must attend to today,” her usual daily routines. But also, now that Princess Elia was there, there were arrangements to be made. And at some point, Rhaella would have to send a raven to Elia’s mother, to let her know all was well.

Maybe Rhaella would wait a day or two for that task. Just in case.

Rhaegar could sense the amusement. Saige didn’t hide it too well, and her answer led him to understand why. She didn’t think he would disturb Elia at all – which was good, he supposed. She must have found it odd he would even ask, which seemed to be the source of her amusement, as she went on to indicate he was free to step in and speak.

Then came a small gesture, and an apology, that caused his brows to lift momentarily in confusion.

He shook it off, and stepped into the main room with the statues, where Elia was wandering about between them, getting a look at each, as Saige moved in to join her. She turned to look at her sister, and the others as they stepped in, her face lit in a smile, though Rhaegar still detected some exhaustion through the glow. “It’s this room that we’ll be married in, isn’t it?”

Rhaegar smiled and gave an easy nod, “Yes,” he walked through the aisles, up to the place between the Mother and the Father, “Here, precisely, is where we’ll make our vows,” he indicated, and Elia walked forward to get a better idea of how it would be to stand before the towering figures of the Mother and the Father.

“They’re so much taller here than—” a misstep, whether from looking up, or simple tiredness. It was not Rhaegar who caught her this time, but a Septa who had just exited from the room near the Mother.

She looked a bit hurried. Worried. Not about Elia, but another matter – she seemed not to even recognize Elia, “Let’s sit you down, lady,” not princess, “Your Grace, have you seen Lady Cersei?” She was going to be in trouble, she knew it.

Rhaegar could only shake his head in response.

~***~

“You’re welcome, your grace,” Aemilia easily returned as Rhaella stood and sorted herself out. Gathered herself. It was a nice change from the moments before, and in a way, painful for that. To know that Rhaella would still have to endure Aerys, again and again…Aemilia disliked the thought immensely. ‘Focus.’

For now, there was naught she ought to do. Not if she wanted to maintain her larger goals, anyways.

So for now, she ought to stay with Rhaella. Find Viserys, and move about her day with the Queen, to learn more of what was normal. ‘This, too, is normal. Her normal.’

“Yes, we ought to go and find him,” she had left him with Rhaella and Aerys, and it seemed that Viserys was let go before Rhaella was. Hopefully, taken somewhere safe, by one of the Kingsguard, but she did not know. She assumed Rhaella might have a better idea of that, and she would move to the door of the Queen’s quarters. She wouldn’t open it immediately, offering her hand first for the Queen.

It’d be rude to open it before Rhaella was ready, so she would wait a moment in case she had a moment’s thought of something she needed before stepping out.

Saige was quick to close the space between herself and Elia, retrieving her sister from the septa that caught her. She guided her sister to sit, but her eyes stayed narrowed on the septa. Saige didn’t appreciate the septa’s disrespect towards her sister by calling her ‘lady’. But before she could say anything, she felt Elia’s hand on her arm.

Elia seemed to recognize that the septa’s mind was elsewhere, that it wasn’t directly meant to disrespect her. She’d rather Saige let it go rather than make a big deal out of it.

And Saige got the hint, letting her displeased look relax. Her intrigue came when the septa mentioned Cersei. That was Tywin’s daughter. Oberyn was intrigued, too, only because he enjoyed having material to spite Lord Tywin. For later. And oh, how he could run with this…

Of course, he was entirely unaware of where Cersei had been that entire time. “Do you believe she might be in trouble?” Oberyn questioned, forcing feigned sincerity into his voice.

The septa was thrown for a moment, not recognizing who was speaking to her. “Oh, I don’t believe so. She does this quite often,” she mumbled. “If you’ll excuse me, I must find her.” Hopefully before Tywin did. She wouldn’t be so lucky.

As the septa rushed past them, Oberyn could only look at his sister’s, hiding his amusement well, but he knew his sister’s would understand. “Shame.”

It was Saige’s turn to give him a warning, “Oberyn…,” she scolded. Saige hadn’t had the pleasure of meeting Lady Cersei. Her status as a bastard and all, her mother didn’t want to be disrespectful by bringing her around the Lannisters. But from what her siblings said, she wasn’t a pleasant little girl. Still, she did hope Cersei was just avoiding responsibility, as one does, and wasn’t in serious trouble.

-

Rhaella did have a better idea of where her son would be. He’d left with a member of the Kingsguard, she hadn’t paid attention to who exactly. But it wasn’t likely they’d manage Viserys on his own, so a maid, a septa, someone else probably accompanied them.

Though, Aerys often had great mistrust in, well, women in general. He blamed them for many of Rhaella’s lost pregnancies. So the Kingsguard couldn’t leave Viserys with them, as much as they’d probably want to.

Rhaella was aware her son was a tad difficult.

Rhaella needed nothing else, after double checking her appearance to make sure she looked put together enough. That her eyes weren’t too red, her dress was straight. Her hair was obviously done. She couldn’t say she looked her best, but she looked appropriate enough.

Rhaella led them out, thanking Aemilia for holding the door in passing. She’d wait to make sure Aemi was close behind before she set off with a purpose. “If you find yourself in the position of hunting down Viserys, he’s usually accompanied by a member of Aerys’s Kingsguard,” she thought to mention, in case she tasked Aemilia with such a thing. “They’re hard to miss, at least.” So was the signature Targaryen hair, or the eyes, but Viserys was also small, easy to overlook.

But it was easy to ask around until someone had something to give her. Something about chasing cats in a courtyard, not far from the Great Hall. Rhaella cringed at that, not much wanting to backtrack around that area, nor with Aemi, but she wasn’t surprised. Kingsguard wouldn’t wander far from the king.

“We have a bit of a cat problem,” Rhaella mentioned to Aemilia, offhand, mostly to distract herself.

Rhaegar wasn’t terribly familiar, from a personal perspective, with Cersei’s bouts of irresponsibility. He knew a little of them, of course, but Tywin did much to cover what was going on with his daughter so she’d never seem to be anything less than perfect. Likely, to plenty outside of King’s Landing, that’s how she seemed.

He didn’t understand all that transpired with the siblings, of course. “Lady Cersei is likely well,” he said, although he didn’t get the sense that even Princess Elia was concerned. Still, he thought to at least echo the septa’s thoughts. “Are you all right, Elia?”

Elia again nodded, and brought a smile onto her lips, hand dropping from Saige’s arm.

“Yes,” sheepishly said, for she kept embarrassing herself that day, it seemed. Still, she didn’t immediately get up, but leaned back in the pew and looked up at the dome. The colors spilled into the room, and the dome was a beautiful crystal, remarkable in design and material.

To think, she would be married here!

“This sept must be used for more than standard practice,” she mused, “What can one see here?”

“It is still a place of worship, most of all,” Rhaegar indicated, the candles the clearest sign of that, “but many septons and septa are educated here, and many offer their services to both the nobility and the smallfolk alike.”

Really, the wealthy smallfolk more than any others, but in theory it was open to all. “Beyond the addition of it as a grounds for education of the clergy, and the sheer numbers of clergy, it is no more different from a traditional sept.”

“Really?” Oberyn wondered what Rhaegar knew of traditional septs, and how limited they were in actual function. Sunspear’s sept was far more prepared for activity, but he knew of much smaller ones that didn’t do much more than tend to the flock, and prepare the dead – if that. Some wouldn’t even do that and tried to wait on Silent Sisters to arrive, or work on alternatives that didn’t let the body contaminate the sept.

~***~

That much was fairly true; Aemilia knew the kingsguard were easy to pick out due to their white cloaks. Impossible to hide, really. She nodded. Even if Viserys’s features were obvious, she understood why it was mentioned. He was still small. He could hide, or be overlooked. “I will keep that in mind, your grace,” she answered readily, as they left behind the holdfast and went to try and locate the young prince.

Eventually, they got a lead on him, chasing down a cat. Aemilia couldn’t quite help the spark that caught in her eyes at the thought. “This is the opposite of a problem,” she told Rhaella, though knew her own fondness for cats had once been problematic, for both Lord Hetherspoon, and even Lord Reyne.

She wasn’t allowed to keep any. Likely for the best, at Castamere. It would have burned up.

“Is there a particular cat Viserys chases most of all? Or that causes—oh!” They came around the building, only for the young Viserys to nearly collide with them. Thankfully, he was able to draw back – and fall back onto his butt as he did so.

He looked up at his mother and Aemilia a moment in confusion, before starting to get up, “Did you see the cat?” He asked immediately, “It went right around here!” He could have sworn it was, “Find it!” That was directed at Aemilia, whom he apparently thought he could order right then.

Aemilia spared a glance at Rhaella, both wanting to humor the request, and not. On one hand, cat. On the other hand, teaching Viserys he could order her.

Saige would not usher her sister to stand anytime soon, thinking it better that she sit and rest. She could still enjoy the features of the sept from her position. And Saige parted from her, to wander the sept for herself. The floors were made of marble, which was surely relieving when it was hot. Windows made from colored glass, the dome of crystal. It was extravagant, not that anything less was expected.

Beautiful place for a wedding.

She observed the altars as she went around, her ears still honing in on the conversation of the others. And once again, Rhaegar kept her amused. Oberyn found interest in that statement, too, it seemed. They both wondered the same thing. She paused around the altar dedicated to the Stranger. So few candles. Well, that was mostly the same just about anywhere. Though, she was curious about those few candles that were lit. What were they for?

Saige stepped away, wandering about again. She figured, if Rhaegar had gone to many other septs, they were likely still belonging to the more fortunate, rather than ramshackled septs in unknown villages. But, at the center of it all, she supposed they all were meant to serve the same purpose, at least.

Saige wasn’t much of a follower of the Seven. How could she be, with all the religions she’d seen? How could she pick the right one? Or they all could be wrong. “I assure you, your grace, there are few septs like this one.”

“Have you been to many others, Prince Rhaegar?” Elia asked, ideas formulating in her head. “We visited a few, sometime ago when we traveled,” her family and her. “It was interesting to see the septs of smallfolk,” some were nice, some weren’t. It was a bit of an eye opener. But it seemed to excite the smallfolk.

-

Rhaella didn’t fail to notice Aemilia’s enthusiasm when the subject of cats was brought up. A smile graced Rhaella’s face when she insisted it was hardly a problem, inquired more about what cats interested Viserys. She took note of that, even as her son nearly came crashing into them.

She was quick to bend down to help him up, even as he began to get up for himself. She frowned, though, as he barked orders at Aemilia. She straightened, and didn’t fail to notice Aemilia’s glance. And the duality in it. “Viserys,” her tone was stern as she scolded him. “Is that how we speak to people?”

“Mom, the cat!” Viserys whined, bouncing as he looked beyond them. “It’s getting away!” Even though he couldn’t see it, every second he spent not chasing the cat, the farther it got away.

“Look at me,” Rhaella didn’t raise her voice at Viserys, surely he got enough of that from his father. But she was strict nonetheless. “Is that how we ask people to do things for us?”

Viserys let out a long sigh as he looked up at his mother. “No…”

“Maybe if you apologized and asked nicely, if Lady Aemilia wants, she might help look for this cat.” Viserys pouted at that, but he wouldn’t fight it. The cat took priority. He was going to hold the cat.

So he turned to face Aemilia. “Sorry, Lady Aemilia.” He mumbled. “Will you please find the cat?”

Rhaella looked around then, noting the absence of any white cloak. “I thought you were with a Kingsguard?” Had they left her son? She supposed if Aerys ordered them back they didn’t have much choice, but still. To leave her son alone to chase cats? But her son would provide something of an answer.

“Too slow,” was all Viserys said, gesturing vaguely behind him.

“I admit, I have not been to many septs, and none outside of the cities of Westeros,” and even those were rare. His father, in his immense paranoia, rarely allowed travel off the main roads, and certainly never stopped anywhere that could be considered ‘ramshackle’. Rhaegar did his own wanderings, but even on his own, he didn’t get so far to places like that.

“You ought to see a few in the small villages,” Oberyn noted, “We stopped at some on the way here. Some do not even have statues,” he gestured, “and they certainly do not offer much; they do not have a septon or septa that stays there, you see. They wander,” the nomadic clergy often tended to a few villages, rather than just one.

Rhaegar’s brows knit together at that. It was not something he’d given heavy consideration to, of course. Matters of the faith were left to the High Septon, but King’s Landing seemed to have an overabundance of septas and septons. Perhaps he could speak to him about sending a few more out to tend to the flock, if this wasn’t an abnormal occurrence.

And if it was, he supposed that was fewer that needed to be sent out.

He didn’t say as much, but did indicate, “I was not aware of such…problems,” what else should he term it? The devout looked to the Faith to help.

“Oh, it’s not so much a problem as the lack of maesters and people with useful knowledge,” Oberyn couldn’t help but tease a bit, even if Elia shot him a look for it, “I think the people would have better use of someone who knew how to handle illness, or crops, more than a septon who would just pray.”

To his own surprise, Rhaegar didn’t quite argue, but gave a small nod, “I know that some septa and septons are given such instruction, but not all. Better instruction in the arts that the Gods have given over to us would be useful, all around.”

~***~

Aemilia made sure not to smile, and not to respond to Viserys’s request, as Rhaella tried to instruct him on how to behave, and how to make requests. Rhaella did get through to him, too, and Aemilia allowed a smile to touch her lips then, “Thank you, your grace,” she said, indication that she appreciated the apology. “I will help you locate the cat. Can you tell me how it looks?”

That the little prince could outrun a kingsguard at his age, with his small legs, seemed hard to believe, even to Aemilia. However, that was a matter she could leave Rhaella to ponder. She knew the area, and the kingsguard, better. Perhaps the young prince had navigated around obstacles that would hold up the kingsguard.

Then again, perhaps someone needed to lose their job.

“It’s black. All black. And huge!” Which made Viserys think it, too, should be slow, but it was not. “I know it’s around here somewhere, I was so close behind it!”

“Okay, okay,” Aemilia skimmed the area. Trees weren’t likely, they might have noticed it trying to scramble up one. Bushes, then, or some other cover. Aemilia drew closer to the actual structure, and the bushes around it, her steps careful, even as Viserys tromped after her.

And then she saw it – piercing orange eyes through the leaves.

Viserys saw it, too, and made to run for the cat. Aemilia just caught him and pulled him back, even as he flailed a bit. "Don't touch--"

“You’re not going to get a cat by chasing it, your grace.”

“But—”

She set him down, and stayed in a crouch herself. “Watch me.” Although she knew it may not work, the cat likely already terrified of Viserys, she crept a bit closer without rising, and extended her hand out, making that oh-so familiar pst-pst sound to lure it, “Come here, beastie,” soft voice, cooing, “Come on, I’ll make sure you get some fresh meat. Fresh milk,” she knew it didn’t understand her, but she could try. And continue the pst-pst sound as she inched ever closer, and it didn’t yet run away.

“Of course, perhaps, if they had a space to pray proper, the Gods would give them good earth and heal the sick without royal interference,” Saige suggested, though perhaps it wasn’t quite right to mock the Gods in a place of worship. ‘Ah, well. If these Gods don’t like me, there are always others.’

“Or perhaps this very conversation is the outcome of someone’s prayers,” Elia interjected, a smile on her face to smooth things over. “I imagine the Gods work in ways we can’t fully understand, Saige.” Her siblings were such trouble makers. Did they want to make her look bad? Of course not, but it seemed like they were doing everything in their power to.

Then again, this was just what they were like. They just didn’t quite conform to what Elia would consider proper for here, for King’s Landing. Or at least, not proper for such a delicate stage in this marriage process.

It was going quite poorly, wasn’t it? With her condition, with her siblings…Rhaegar was very polite about much of it, which she was grateful for.

“Mm, maybe you’re right, Elia,” Saige allowed with an amused smile. “This is why you’re the princess, Elia. Always quick with the right things to say.” It was always quite the talent of hers. Worked for getting them out of trouble many times, but Saige thought it was a great quality for her to have, if she ever did become Queen. Aerys couldn’t rule forever, but Saige didn’t doubt that he would try. “I’d apologize for my brother and I, Prince Rhaegar, but I’m afraid we’re always like this. I’ll save the apologies for more egregious offenses, if that’s alright.”

Elia only rolled her eyes at Saige, making room for her sister as she came to rest against the pillar with her. “Is it always this quiet, Rhaegar? Empty?” Elia opted to change the subject. It was rather clear, Elia thought it would be a nice place to just sit, just like they were.

-

Rhaella was grateful for Aemilia’s presence in the moment, as Aemilia distracting Viserys gave her the chance to depart on a search for the kingsguard who’d lost sight of her son, the prince, and give them a very stern talking to. Even though they should know better than to take their eyes off of Viserys, Rhaella wouldn’t take this to Aerys. That would likely mean facing death, for Aerys was...extreme. Especially after last night.

Rhaella didn’t think that had to be necessary for this, even if it was detrimental that Viserys be protected. Perhaps a warning would be enough to remedy this issue.

Though, the queen wouldn’t have to trek far before she recognized the familiar sound of moving armor and saw the swishing of a white cloak. “Prince Lewyn,” Rhaella called as the two closed the distance between them, “Are you the one responsible for looking after my son?” She didn’t hide the displeasure in her voice.

“Yes, your grace. I apologize, I was taking over Ser Grandison’s position when Viserys slipped away, I let him slip away,” Lewyn bowed his head in respect and Rhaella sighed, for she knew what he meant in his words. It was Ser Grandison who’d made the error, likely enlisted Lewyn for assistance. Harlan was getting older, she wasn’t surprised her toddler managed to give him the runaround.

“Very well,” Rhaella would have to see to it that Ser Grandison wasn’t charged with watching Viserys anymore. Someone who could keep up with the child would be more fitting.

“I understand he was looking for a cat? Have you managed to find him?”

“Yes, he’s with my lady,” Rhaella gestured him along, to return to her son and Aemilia.

Whomst was having much success with the cat, apparently, as the large black thing was lured out of its hiding place. Lured by Aemilia’s soothing voice, though it still remained in a defensive position, its head low to the ground as it strained its neck to sniff the lady’s hand.

Viserys stuck close to Aemilia, hovering behind her with his hands on the same shoulder that he watched over. He gasped excitedly as the cat warmed up to Aemilia, only to cause the creature to flinch and freeze. Recognizing the body language, the toddler copied Aemilia, crouching down and extending his little hand. He even tried to imitate the little ‘pst-pst’ noise, with some struggles. “Can we grab him yet?” He did have to ask in a forced whisper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back