• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Unbowed [Closed]

Characters
Here
Other
Here
Rhaegar was glad his embarrassment was not to last. Oberyn did not press it, nor ser Dayne, and soon enough they were rejoined in the hall by Elia and her sister. Elia did look beautiful in her dress, but her pallor seemed off, not that Rhaegar could be certain of it. The softness of her greeting also seemed in so much contrast with her siblings, that he wondered how she could possibly be related to them. He wouldn’t think much of it, as he offered his arm to her and she accepted it.

Her smile was warm enough.

“Really now?” Rhaegar arched a brow at Oberyn, who shrugged his shoulders.

“It is not so easy to sleep in a new place, I woke early and stayed awake,” he wouldn’t deny that he could sometimes take a while to get ready. Sometimes he liked to look just as good as his sisters, and that took time. Other days, he just didn’t want to get out of bed. That was the true struggle. “But I am eager to see how King’s Landing impresses upon my sisters.”

“I hope they’ll like it,” Arthur said, moving ahead, “It’s not so warm as Dorne, but it is pleasant.”

“So says you. You’ve been here too long,” Oberyn stated, “Your sisters miss you terribly,” he added, “And others have.”

“Oh? You?” Arthur knew he was probably referring to some other women. Possibly in their company. Would he give Oberyn that satisfaction? Nope.

Oberyn grinned and moved to take Arthur’s arm in much the fashion that Elia held Rhaegar’s, “I thought you’d never see it!”

Elia shot him a glare which he ignored, grinning at Arthur like some fool, “Your vows only forbid marriage, right? What a splendid coincidence.”

“Do you see what I had to deal with?” Arthur looked to Rhaegar, who couldn’t hide his amusement at all.

“Ah! You like the silver one better?”

“I do, yes, Oberyn, I’m terribly sorry,” it was an effort to keep his face straight and tone just as flat. “But I’ll leave him to Elia and mourn from afar.” Now that had Elia laughing a bit, “I know he doesn’t like me. I’m doomed to be forever his friend, just as you are doomed to be mine.”

“What a cursed fate,” Oberyn joked along.

~***~

Aemilia caught the glance from the queen, but lightly shook her head, kept a pleasant smile on her lips. She didn’t need Rhaella to apologize. Cersei was the one in the wrong, but even then, not so much. There was always the possibility that Melara would have come up in far more innocent discussion, and she would have had to maneuver around being straightforward.

Given, she’d learned what death was quite young herself and didn’t think it needed to be hidden. She had a rather different relationship with death than most people, though, given her faith.

“It’s all right,” Aemilia took Tywin’s words easily, “She’s only a child.” Cersei was certainly fuming at that statement, being talked around as if not there, having Tywin speak up as he did. She swallowed that pride, for the moment, but she would hardly be forgetting these insults.

Viserys didn’t know enough to take offense to that comment. He wasn’t only a child – he was a dragon. A dragon with a mouthful of food.

“Perhaps we can settle on a happier topic then – how long have you been here in King’s Landing, Cersei? Was it a difficult adjustment?” Questions that would seem expected, and that were of a better topic. The odds of it straying to something unhappy were slim, or at least, she imagined so. Cersei would have to be fairly creative to bring it around to that.

“It’s been nearly a year now, hasn’t it?” Rhaella mused, recalling Cersei came there a while ago, her father still seeking to marry her to Rhaegar after Steffon passed away, unable to find a proper match for Rhaegar in Essos. The proximity did nothing to benefit Cersei in this case, but Rhaella imagined it did give Cersei some experience with courtly ways.

“You Dornish are so dramatic,” Saige rolled her eyes, though her grin betrayed that she wasn’t actually serious. After all, she may have not been born in Dorne, but she was certainly raised there, and as a Martell. She undoubtedly had just as much flare for the dramatic as the rest of them.

“Don’t even start,” Oberyn warned, playfully of course. Saige often liked to joke about excluding herself from ‘Dornish traits’, usually stereotypical ones such as being hot-headed, loud, lustful. And of course, dramatic. But they all well knew that she was more Dornish than she’d ever be Lyseni, even in looks.

“You know I’m right, just look at how dramatic Elia is,” Saige gestured to her sister, who she nor Oberyn could even remember the last time Elia even made so much as a scene. She was a good girl, and while she was a Martell, was not as melodramatic. She was the rational sibling, much like their eldest brother Doran. Which was why both Saige and Oberyn thought she'd make a suitable queen.

“Hm. That’s true. Be prepared, Rhaegar. Your soon to be wife is more theatrical than she lets on.” The siblings worked together to tease Elia.

“Stop spreading lies, you two.” Elia scolded, though it was clear she was unbothered by their ragging. This was what she had to deal with. And she did so happily. Having her siblings with her truly eased her anxiety. Even seeing Arthur’s familiar face relaxed her.

“Anyway,” Saige waved her hand dismissively at Elia, shifting her attention to Arthur. “After witnessing our clear display of sibling love, I’m sure you miss your sisters all the more.” Or even less. Perhaps reminding him of how annoying siblings can be. “Elia and I had mentioned the idea of inviting Ashara to be a lady-in-waiting. You know, so I don’t have to do all the work.”

“You know, Saige. No matter how hard one squints, there is no resemblance of Rhaegar in you. I don’t think Arthur would ever be satisfied with you as a substitute.” Oberyn mused, purely to embarrass her.

“Gods, Oberyn.” Saige groaned. “Jealousy is an ugly look on you.”

-

Cersei hummed in confirmation of Rhaella’s timeline. “Yes, a year.” A year of watching the king go through every possible suitor for Rhaegar except for her. Settling with a weak Dornish girl. A year without her twin by her side.

“Adjusting was about as difficult as expected.” Cersei answered Aemilia then, keeping her answers rather brief. “Particularly so without having my brother here.” Of course, Jaime had been away from Casterly Rock a year before Cersei had come to King’s landing. But he could’ve been waiting for her here. But of course, Aerys had rejected the idea of Jaime as a squire for Rhaegar.

“Well, you have Tyrion here with you,” Rhaella reminded. The queen knew that Tyrion was not Tywin’s favorite son, nor was he Cersei’s favorite brother. But she hadn’t a clue just how much the Lannister family was not in favor of the little boy. How bad Cersei, in particular, hated him.

And Cersei knew she couldn’t straight out say she hated the imp and wished he had been left in Casterly Rock. Not to the Queen, anyway. “Well, he wasn’t here in the beginning.” Tyrion had joined a few months later, returning with their father after one of his brief trips home. Tyrion had been brought more as an afterthought, really. “And there’s a certain bond between Jaime and I. As twins.”

Rhaella hummed, “Of course.”

“But I have enjoyed being here. I’ve learned a lot.” Cersei added.

“And still have much to learn,” Tywin chimed in, to which Cersei had to resist her frown becoming deeper.

“Yes, to which I look forward to.” Cersei mumbled. She knew her father would have plenty more to say during their next private conversation. Tywin liked to tell her all the things she did wrong. Or at least, that’s how she perceived it. She thought she was already just as smart and cunning as her father. She was only being treated as if she wasn’t because of her age and gender.

“How have you been adjusting, Aemilia?” Cersei questioned, again dropping formal titles, asking the question without actually having any real concern.

“She knows more about dragons than you.” Viserys mentioned to Cersei between bites of pastry, crumbs falling from the corner of his mouth. Cersei didn’t know anything about dragons. And knew too much about Rhaegar.

Rhaegar did not believe for a second that Elia was the dramatic or theatrical sort. He was almost disappointed by that realization, although he offered, “Do not worry, Elia, I shall be influenced only by your actions, not hearsay,” he heard plenty of many people, and quite often preferred to judge one’s character by their actions, not their rumors – even if some rumors did prove true.

As many of Elia’s rumors were proving true.

While Ser Dayne was a fine and stoic knight when he needed to be, there were times like now when he could put on airs – like claiming to have a crush on Rhaegar himself to mess with Oberyn. The theatrics of the Dornish were certainly within the realm of actions from the knight.

Rhaegar was fairly certain that Arthur didn’t fancy him, anyways. He didn’t swoon like so many others, though to be fair, Elia wasn’t exactly swooning, she was giving plenty of signs of being interested and wanting him to hold her in high esteem. Oberyn’s musing and Saige’s reaction did cause him to chuckle, though.

Arthur chose to ignore those, because offering up any comparisons would only further doom himself, Rhaegar, and Saige, “I do miss my sisters,” he confessed, “for all of that, though, it was a wise decision not to bring Ashara. I do not think any of us would get any peace with her present.” Ashara was wilder than Oberyn at times, her beauty and nobility letting her get away with far too much.

Cersei would hate her.

“So where is it, precisely, we’re going first?” Arthur asked, “I pray you have not been talked into going to the Silk Road, your grace. They don’t actually sell silk there,” he teased lightly, and Rhaegar gave a slight roll of his eyes.

“I’m not that sheltered.” Arthur loved to accuse him of it. “And no, I have not been talked into going there, but I did want to show them the market. It may be like any other, but I do believe we get a few more interesting things and people here, on virtue of being the capital of Westeros,” many wanted to win favor of His Grace, Aerys, after all. It was not just those with goods, but those with skills, who would show up and show off in the market, “Perhaps we could even find things these worldly Dornish people have not had the pleasure of seeing or trying. Would you have any suggestions from your time here?”

“Shade of the evening.” He said it without question.

“No – we’re not doing that again.”

Arthur tried to maintain some stoicism as he looked to Oberyn, “You haven’t had that yet, have you?” The viper had his reputation, but he didn’t know if that extended into hallucinogenic poisons of prophecy.

He had not talked Rhaegar into it, but another, and Rhaegar had been wroth with him for it because they had to babysit that individual while they seemed to trip over things unseen.

~***~

Cersei did not enjoy her time here in King’s Landing. It was clear as day to Aemilia as she went through the motions of her answers, encouraged to one by Tywin. Her response left much to be desired, and she persisted in the lack of titles. Aemilia couldn’t help but wonder more at Tyrion, though.

He was Tywin’s cursed son, the dwarf she’d heard much about by virtue of her slight obsession. Of course twins would be closer – none would doubt that. And a dwarf would never be a father’s favorite son, especially not a second-son. It was almost a wonder Tywin hadn’t remarried to make sure he actually had an heir he would consider worthy of Lannister, in case anything happened to Jaime – but then, Tywin hadn’t been rational in marriage.

He’d been in love. Something hard to imagine, even now.

Viserys’s ‘defense’ of her to Cersei, or it felt like a defense, did bring a smile, “Well, if I was going to come to King’s Landing, it seemed only right that I know some things of dragons,” she said, “And I am happy to learn more about them as well, my prince.” She could almost see Cersei wanting to mock her, but she was able to stay silent, “As of now I do not believe I can give you an adequate answer to that, as I have not been here long, but I feel that I am settling in well, minus a scandal or two.”

Cersei perked up at that. That was a bit interesting, and potentially useful, “Scandal?” She’d heard some things, of course, but she hadn’t expected any talk of it. Particularly not with Viserys there.

Rhaella wasn’t sure if she ought to offer a scolding look to Aemilia, or Cersei, at that point. “No such scandal, I am sure you are aware of how the gentry talk and make mountains of nothing, lady Cersei,” Rhaella said, though she knew that wasn’t entirely true, knowing a bit of what happened with Aerys and Aemilia.

Though that wasn’t common knowledge, nor a scandal – not one that spread like Tywin and Aemilia’s dance, anyway. Rhaella didn’t presume that Aemilia was referring to the matter of Aerys, and she wasn’t, “It’s as Her Grace says, Cersei,” Aemilia kept that easy smile on her lips, “You know how people talk here – I’m not yet so used to it, I did not frequent many of the events to learn how people will take the smallest thing and turn it into something grand. It is an adjustment to be in sight, but I think that will be the major adjustment – and I do apologize for that, Lord Tywin.”

Cersei was fairly disappointed they weren’t actually specifying the scandal, especially as an apology was offered to her father. She could guess, but she would have preferred they talk of it. “Yes, well, it should have been a lesson your mother taught you.” She knew too well Aemilia was a bastard and her mother was lowborn. Her mother would have never been able to teach her it.

Saige was curious to see if the market really did have anything that she or Oberyn hadn’t seen before. They had travelled a great many places, not only in Westeros, but in Essos. She wondered what the people here presented to impress the king, his family, and other noblemen. Regardless of whether it impressed Saige and Oberyn or not, Saige hoped they’d find something to fascinate Elia.

Gifts and trinkets that Saige and Oberyn brought her from their adventures weren’t the extent of the world.

“Again?” Saige questioned, fleetingly it seemed. Again implied they, or someone, had taken shade of the evening before.

“We were all hoping you’d stay out of trouble here, Arthur.” Elia teased in passing.

“I shouldn’t disclose that information. I don’t think it would make me look very favorable in the eyes of our Prince.“ Oberyn winked. It wasn’t deadly and Oberyn had some adventures in dabbling in some not so serious elixirs. Especially with friends. “I can disclose that I did know a man who drank it so often his lips turned blue.” Like some of the Qarth natives. He was an old rich man with too much time on his hands. He could thank Saige for knowing him, as that man had been funding Saige’s adventures and fine jewelry addiction for a short while.

Whether he was conscious of that or not. Saige had her ways and surely a hallucinogen didn’t help.

“I think we can all agree a round of shade of the evening is not in our agenda today, yeah?” Saige offered with a grin.

“Maybe not all of us. But we can wait until after today’s activities.” Oberyn was messing around, perhaps not so obviously. “I’m sure it would go over fantastically well if we brought Rhaegar back flying higher than a dragon.”

While it was just the five of them walking through the halls of the Red Keep, they were joined by more knights and a carriage just outside of the castle, before the bronze gates that would release them into the town. Saige wondered how often Rhaegar or anyone, really, left the Red Keep. It was like a city itself. And she was curious as to how easy it would be to slip in and out, for the time when Saige knew she’d grow tired of the beautiful architecture.

-

“I appreciate the sentiment.” Tywin waved off Aemilia’s apology, if it was sincere at all. Really, Tywin didn’t much worry for such petty rumors. It was simply a nuisance, having to here all the chatter, predictions, and blatantly exaggerated retellings of the events which spur on more rumors. One thing Tywin had to prepare himself for was Aerys catching wind of this gossip and bringing it up at most inappropriate times, using it against him as Aerys does with anything he could get his hands on.

And it would be worse if Aerys remembered the events of the night before.

And since it was such a popular concept at the moment, he knew it was only a matter of time before his daughter caught onto it. He could see how she was just burning to know what the ‘scandal’ was, but clearly none of them had any intentions on telling her of it in the moment. And of course, little Viserys had no clue what the rumors were either, and he was too young to understand or care.

“Well, Lady Cersei, sometimes there are some things us women—and men—must learn on our own, without our parents.” Rhaella politely defended Aemilia without mentioning her parentage, knowing it was never an option for her to learn such things from her mother. And she knew that Cersei was aware of this. “You’ll learn such things when you start venturing on your own, when you get married.” Rhaella offered.

Cersei refrained from asking to when and whom that might be, since it wasn’t to Rhaegar. That would certainly a bitter subject for the Lannisters for a while. Cersei could only imagine how smug the Dornish were.

And Cersei’s marriage would be something for Tywin to consider. Of course they all were hoping for Elia to die in childbirth, but he couldn’t wait around and waste Cersei’s prime years. Of course, if she was anything like her mother, she’d be beautiful well into her adulthood.

“That’s what any parent would wish for, anyway,” Tywin agreed, though not to particularly defend Aemilia. Simply because he agreed with the idea. He learned very much on his own, rather than from his passive father. And while Tywin did his best to prepare his children to preserve the legacy of the Lannisters with the knowledge he held, well, “Some things can only be learned through experience.”

Things like how to massacre an entire vassal house and assert one’s dominance once again.

So that was a ‘yes’ from Oberyn, Arthur determined, smile curving a bit more as the laughter touched his eyes. Arthur was the one to answer Saige’s query, “Yes, at least, the Prince and I can agree on as much,” he answered.

“You’re speaking for me now, Arthur?” Rhaegar inquired, arching a single eyebrow.

Arthur smiled, “Did you intend some other answer, Your Grace?”

“No,” Rhaegar answered, an easy confession, “but you are dangerously close to stepping out of line,” it was more of a jest than an actual threat, but occasionally it was fun to tease Arthur in such ways. Arthur knew he could get away with much more than the rest of the Kingsguard, if only for his friendship. Or his unrequited love. Whichever way he preferred to phrase it that day.

Arthur chuckled, “Good. Because I would not be explaining why you were high to either the King or Queen,” he’d leave that to Oberyn.

“Have you ever been?” Elia asked, a bit tentatively, wondering if the Prince did hold such a thing in his past. It wasn’t so uncommon among those she knew, but given she knew Oberyn and Saige, and their friends, that wasn’t saying much. What was common for those she knew was definitely not common for others. Particularly nobles.

“No,” he shook his head. He hadn’t, despite someone suggesting he should if he wanted to be able to hear the Heart’s Tree, to suggest it would put him in the right mindset.

At the sight of the carriage, Rhaegar couldn’t help but groan. Arthur noted it, and before Rhaegar could say anything, he strode ahead, smiling, “No need for that today,” he said. The consideration of Elia’s health had slipped his mind, and of course, Rhaegar’s. They didn’t have to live with it. “We’ll walk to the market, if it’s all the same to everyone.”

Rhaegar certainly hadn’t called ahead for a carriage, or for all these guards, though that wasn’t unusual, and Arthur would bet money this was Selmy’s doing. At least the extra knights. The carriage, he wasn’t sure.

Elia bit down on her bottom lip, clearly thinking of saying something, but then refraining. She wanted to be able to join Rhaegar in his walks, and in going about King’s Landing. If he could walk there, certainly she could. She walked around Dorne, though admittedly, it was much less humid where she lived.

~***~

‘My mother would have taught me much if she had the chance.’ Somehow, she did not think ‘avoiding scandal’ would have been on the list, given her family, but maybe she would have been better at picking her scandals.

That would not have been the appropriate response to Cersei’s words, and an actual response was on Aemilia’s tongue before Rhaella interjected in a more tempered answer, one that gave both defense and credence to how far Aemilia had come. That Tywin agreed was another matter, and Cersei even gave him a look that seemed to want to call him on it.

“Then why don’t you ever let me do anything on my own if it’s what any parent would wish for. Shouldn’t I get some experience on my own?” Aemilia couldn’t help but laugh a bit, and brought her fingers to cover her lips as Cersei shot a look her way.

“How old are you, Cersei?” She asked, though she knew.

“I’m thirteen.” She tilted her head up, all the defiance of the Lannister in that small gesture.

Aemilia wanted to say ‘that was why’. She was young, too young, and of too noble blood for this, but just telling Cersei she was too young would likely mean nothing given her father had wished her married already. No doubt that meant she’d already bled and was considered a ‘woman’ by some, even if Aemilia still saw a girl. “And what experience do you think you are lacking? It seems you already know more than I on some matters,” flattery would get one everywhere with the right people, and it’d be interesting if Cersei would actually talk of what experiences she was lacking.

Or in any other words, what weaknesses. It might be something useful to know, something Aemilia could work with, particularly if they kept playing this false game of being on such friendly terms as dropping titles implied.

She clearly had no problems making a scene. She might be quite willing to call out Tywin's 'weak points' in parenting given she was willing to confront him now.

Saige picked up her pace a little to catch up with Arthur. “Actually," she began to interject. But unfortunately, she caught the look that Elia shot her way, silently asking her to not say anything. Saige frowned at her, but she couldn’t bring herself to go against Elia in the moment. She easily slowed again, as if she’d never sped up to begin with. “We might need that. I like to shop a little too much. There’s only so much arm capacity between all of us.” Saige recovered, forcing humor into her words.

She quickly shot a scolding look to Elia. They were going to talk about this when they got back. She wasn’t going to let Elia sacrifice her health in an effort to fit in or appease her future husband. There’d come a time when Elia wouldn’t be able to fake it anymore. And Rhaegar would have to learn how to understand it. Elia was so lucky that Oberyn hadn’t known about how she’d felt that morning. He wouldn’t be as lenient as Saige.

Speaking of. Oberyn suddenly linked arms with Saige, pulling her close by her arm. He wasn’t sure if the others noticed, but he could certainly tell that wasn’t what she meant to say. “You’re acting strange,” he mumbled to her in a singsong voice, obviously expecting for her to elaborate. Which she didn’t.

“Ser Lewyn insisted upon the carriage,” one of the extra knights informed Arthur. Selmy had arranged the extra knights, coincidentally in the presence of Lewyn, who did think of his niece’s health condition.

Saige was surprised to hear Lewyn had thought of that. And that he hadn’t yet come to see them since he knew they were there. He was busy, more than likely. She was certain they’d all get to visit before Oberyn had to head back to Dorne. “Tell him we can survive a leisurely stroll through the city,” Saige told the knight, though his gaze settled on her strangely. Saige had briefly forgotten they weren’t in Dorne. Here she was just a bastard. The knights here wouldn’t exactly take commands from her, as harmless as they may be.

“Yes, if he has an issue with that then he can come talk to us about it himself.” Oberyn enforced.

The knight could go off that from Oberyn. “Very well.” He nodded. “Enjoy your outing, Your Grace.” He bowed slightly, addressing Rhaegar. He stood straight and whistled, that getting the horses to pull the carriage off and the other knights clearing the path for them to take their leave.

Noticing the slightly displeased look on Saige’s face, Oberyn elbowed her in the stomach. Gently. Telling her to buck up. And get used to it. Which she knew she had to. It was an adjustment period for all of them.

-

“The kind of experiences she thinks she’s lacking are not of her concern at all.” Tywin explained, giving Cersei a pointed look, somewhat of a warning for her talking back. She reminded him much of her mother. Joanna was never afraid to speak her mind, not to him. But on what Cersei wanted. What she wanted was to have the political experience that the Lord of a House would. Training in swordsmanship that men had. Tywin knew it likely stemmed from her being excluded from her twin brother’s activities.

And while Tywin saw much of Joanna in Cersei, Rhaella saw much more of Tywin. Cersei was much more like him than Jaime was. Though of course Rhaella hadn’t seen the young man in what felt like ages. But she was sure that if Cersei was a boy, she’d be the spitting image of Tywin. Not in looks, but personality.

“As Her Grace said, your experiences will come when you’re older. Married.” She’d understand what Tywin meant when she was older. When she could listen more to what he said without it being clouded by her age and that sense of knowing everything that came with it. And while Cersei’s fierceness, as he’d put it, was frustrating now, he was happy for it. It was a sign he was raising her right.

“I disagree,” Cersei stated, turning to Aemilia. “I’ve already learned all there is to being a proper lady. I know how to sew and behave and how to avoid scandal. I think I should be allowed to talk to people. I want to know how to do what my father does. Don’t you find it silly that even though I’m the oldest, my brother is the one who gets to inherit Casterly Rock? He gets to travel and wield a sword.”

Rhaella was endlessly amused. “You’re twins, dear, you’re the same age.” She commented. Rhaella, too, saw just a little girl. Even though she had been the same age as Cersei when she married Aerys. Rhaella saw only a child with much to learn. And as much as she might have loved it, she was thankful that she hadn’t had a daughter, as she knew she’d be forced to marry so young. She wouldn’t get to enjoy being a child.

“I’m older by a few minutes, Your Grace.” Cersei corrected, though politely.

“Cersei, that’s enough.” Tywin insisted. And though she certainly had more to say, Cersei knew she couldn’t push anymore. She slumped, but not without a huff.

“My apologies, Lady Cersei.” Rhaella said with a chuckle. Though, she sighed and became more serious. “I sympathize with you, my Lady. But I urge you to be careful who you share such strong words with.” There were a number of people Rhaella could think of that would love to mock and chastise the dreams of a little girl. Her husband being one of them.

“Maybe you shouldn’t have picked being a girl, then.” Viserys said to Cersei, adding in late, having finished his pastry. He had nothing but energy now as he stood, holding his arms out and running around, whooshing past Aemilia and Cersei. Clearly pretending to be a dragon.

Arthur was glad then he had not, in fact, bet money on Selmy. He would have just lost it. He forgot about Lewyn then, most days the man didn’t interject much, and how he might want to make an effort to look after their well-being, too. It was good of him to think of it, though he clearly forgot Rhaegar’s penchant for roaming about on his own two feet – or on a single horse. He didn’t really care for the carriages or litters, being isolated from the world in those fashions.

While Arthur was not so surprised by Saige attempting to order others around, Rhaegar did find it curious. His expression must have been obvious to Elia, for she noticed it, and seemed aware enough to guess the cause, “My sister has traveled much, but she is still used to how she is treated in Dorne.” With far more respect, and people listening to her better.

In Essos, they also did not care so much about bastard status, and usually the people Saige interacted with it…well, they wanted something from her, so they were inclined to humor her demands.

“There they truly do not care so much that she is a bastard?” Rhaegar asked.

Elia smiled, “Most do not,” she agreed, “She is my sister. She is Oberyn’s sister.” And they loved her, and so for that they expected her to be treated with similar respect, though Elia knew that would be hard to enforce here, and, in fact, unlikely. Even if Saige was to be her lady-in-waiting, she would never have such authority.

Rhaegar gave a nod, and addressed the knight, “Thank you, Ser,” he would enjoy the outing.

He was impressed with the easy way Saige tried to exert herself in spite of her position, though it seemed it was more because she was ignorant of it. Or not used to what it meant in other parts of the world. He may have to watch that. To make sure to back up her claims, or to make sure she didn’t get into any kind of trouble over it.

At least they would be continuing without too much extra fuss, and as the carriage was taken away, they did begin to walk on once more towards the town. Rhaegar did not force Elia to walk faster, though he did notice after a bit that they were moving slower than he was accustomed to.

Arthur seemed to be taking pains not to move ahead, either. The leisurely pace was at least semi-relaxing, at least, more than the chaos of the market. He’d likely need to stay closer to the pair then, to keep Elia from being jostled too much, at least. As they drew closer to it, they did begin to encounter more people on the way, though most were quick to step out of the way for them on seeing his white cloak, and the infamous silver hair of the prince.

~***~

Aemilia was equally amused with Cersei, but she had care with her expression not to show it. Instead, when Cersei turned to her, after disagreeing pointedly with Tywin, she kept her interest obvious, her gaze showing no hint of amusement, but only the furrow of her brows indicating an attentiveness to the words, and to mulling them over in her own mind.

The truth was, she agreed with every point Cersei made.

It was ridiculous that gender determined what one was allowed to do in this world. She had been given much more freedom, and leeway, as a bastard. Perhaps it hindered her somewhat in being a ‘proper’ lady, but then – she saw herself as heir still.

Heir to Castamere, admittedly, not the Fern Valley, though she knew she could attempt to lay claim to it just as well, being the only child of Lord Hetherspoon. Of course he had brothers and nephews who would probably win.

“Don’t worry, Cersei, I do find it silly, as well. I suspect that’s why my uncles were rather pleased to hear I was heading out this way,” she did chuckle at that, knowing they were relieved to see her further from the lands she had no interest in actually claiming. They were probably worried she’d poison them. If there was no one else to claim it, it had to fall to the woman. But she’d never dare to do such a thing.

Like it or not, they were family in their way. They would have done much the same to Melara, had she lived.

Viserys’s comment did make her laugh, though. That Cersei shouldn’t have picked being a girl. As if it were a choice. He went whooshing around, and Aemilia fell back in a half-hearted attempt to grab his legs as he ran by her. She didn’t bother to sit back up properly, “Why did you pick to be a boy, Viserys?” Apparently he was pretty certain he made the choice, “Why didn’t you want to be a girl?” He wouldn’t have the ‘adult’ understanding of the differences.

At least, not so much.

She was pretty certain his answer would be amusing.

Oberyn and Saige settled into a walk behind Elia and Rhaegar, letting Elia set the pace. Even though their usual speeds were much faster, the two were accustomed to following Elia’s lead, perhaps even Arthur was too. Though the two siblings did have to give Elia credit for surprising them with her energy some days. Some days she could keep up with them just fine. Though, those days were few.

And that day was not one of those days.

“You know, your mouth is going to get you in trouble here, little sister.” Oberyn warned her, quietly. It’s not really like they had much privacy, outside and following not far behind their other three companions, and quickly being brought closer by the population of King's Landing closing in on them. Oberyn's worry for Elia being pushed around was brief, as she seemed to be kept quite safe by the magic of the Targaryen hair. And Arthur, of course.

The words were certainly strange coming from Oberyn. He was the finest example of not watching ones mouth. Oberyn hardly censored himself, encouraged both his sisters to do the same, particularly Elia as she was usually the quieter one. Though Saige was really the only one who took to it. Which now she had to change, for there could actually be serious consequences if she didn’t.

Which she knew. And she didn’t need Oberyn of all people to remind her. “I know, I know. I just thought my mouth would get me in trouble in a different way.” She winked, nudging Oberyn to get him to laugh.

“I’m serious, Saige.”

The brunette rolled her eyes. “I will, Oberyn. I’ll adjust.” Maybe. “What do you think of Rhaegar so far?” She questioned. She’d say her brother was good at reading people.

“I wouldn’t be willing to leave here if I didn’t think he was at least decent. Everyone seems to like the Prince and so far nothing has contradicted that. Either he’s not horrible, or he’s the best actor in Westeros.”

Saige was worried about the latter being the truth, but hearing Oberyn’s opinion did offer her some comfort. And Saige couldn’t see Arthur being actual friends with someone who took after Aerys Targaryen. Just getting a glimpse of the King from last night was enough to confirm that he was just as the stories said. Worse, probably.

“So you and Arthur take these romantic strolls often, Rhaegar?” Elia played at the supposed romance between the two. “I assume you have some favorite places within King’s Landing, then?” She questioned in an effort to get to know him better. And as they walked, they seemed to be surrounded by more and more people, though they easily parted for the Targaryen and the knight.

Saige couldn’t imagine finding much enjoyable in the overpopulated shit hole, but of course she didn’t say that. This was Rhaegar’s home. Hell, with all the people in it, brothel business had to be good.

And while Saige saw most of the things wrong with it, Elia saw the potential in it. This would be her home too once she married Rhaegar, after all. It was only natural to have the urge to spruce up the place.

-

Cersei resisted rolling her eyes at Viserys. Of course he was just a child, he wouldn’t understand that no one could pick the gender they were born as. Didn’t change the fact that he was an annoying baby. Though, she should get used to it. ‘As apparently I’m going to have three of them…’ She quickly shook that thought from her mind, her eyes unconsciously glancing to Aemilia before she adjusted her focus back on the little silver haired boy.

Rhaella easily reached out as Viserys moved to run past her, the boy giggling all the while, and grabbed onto his hand, pulling him into her lap. He let out an excited squeal, squirming until he settled down with a smile on his face. “So I can be a knight! Because only boys get to be knights.” He said as if it were obvious. “Then I can be king once it’s my turn!” Another thing only boys got to do was be Kings.

Of course, the only way Viserys would be king was if Rhaegar died. Or Rhaegar’s children, if he had any. Both scenarios Rhaella found unfortunately possible. Either way, Rhaella didn’t tell Viserys that wasn’t how that worked. He wouldn’t understand and would only get upset. He’d learn when he was older.

“And I don’t have to marry Rhaegar like Princess Elia does.” Rhaella wasn’t sure to laugh or cry at Viserys’ words. Cersei, of course, felt only more bitter that Elia got to marry Rhaegar instead of her. All because they’re distantly related to the Targaryens. And everything else pointed to Cersei being the better bride. She was healthy, younger. ‘And Rhaegar and I would make prettier babies.’ Cersei just had to be patient and wait for the Dornish woman to die.

The shambling of armor made Rhaella turn her head and direct her attention to the knight approaching them. “Pardon me, my Queen. I don’t mean to interrupt but King Aerys has requested your presence.”

“Oh. Yes, alright,” Rhaella lifted Viserys and place him on his feet to allow her to stand. “My apologies, Lord Tywin, Lady Cersei, but I of course have to depart.”

“Nonsense,” Tywin dismissed her apology as it was unnecessary. He stood to help the Queen stand up. “I must attend to my duties, anyway.” He’d spent enough time away from it as it was. He was pestered enough with rumors and Aerys’s insecurities as it was, he didn’t need anyone saying he didn’t do his job. Or more rumors that he was having relations with the King’s wife.

Rhaella thanked Tywin before lightly brushing off her dress, straightening it out. “Thank you both for joining the three of us for breakfast.” She continued as Tywin then moved to off Aemilia his arm, to help her to her feet as well.

Of course, this action earned a look from Cersei.

Which in turn Tywin instructed her, “Cersei, go join the Septa for today. Keep busy.”

“Yes, father.” Of course, Cersei didn’t want to do that. And wouldn’t. She had more important thing to attend to, like learning more of these supposed scandals that no one would tell her about. Cersei didn’t like being out of the loop.

The conversation of the other two Martell siblings was too far for Rhaegar to hear, and he was becoming more and more aware of the crowd. With that awareness, he became more concerned for Elia. Noticing her slowed pace, and the likelihood she would blend in, he did make sure to stay at her side. Though they had linked arms, he found one hand moving to cover hers as well, to help enforce the closeness and make sure if she was jostled, she wouldn’t be moved from him.

If she stumbled, he would easily be able to catch her and make sure she never hit the ground.

“I do enjoy going into the city,” Rhaegar said, “though I usually prefer not to have Ser Arthur’s company. He is not subtle.” Ser Selmy, it seemed, was at least starting to learn to don a cloak to cover his cape and hide around a bit when Rhaegar went off on his own.
Eventually, the fun ended…but at least Selmy was learning faster than Arthur.

“He’s ashamed of me, my lady,” Ser Arthur said, all woe, “but yes, we enjoy these strolls fairly often, or we go riding some ways from King’s Landing, or hunting, when the mood strikes,” Rhaegar wasn’t much into hunting, nor Aerys. Despite the forest they had at their disposal, the Targaryens never seemed to care that much to use it for hunting. Thankfully they had plenty of other knights and hunting dogs willing to indulge in the past time, and so bring back fresh meat for feasts.

“And we do have some favorite places,” Rhaegar consented, “I do enjoy strolling the market by the harbor. Many people from around Westeros and Essos end up there,” and it was always interesting to see what new things were brought, and what new people were around. “Ser Arthur seems to favor the Street of Steel.”

“When you find something more fascinating than reforging Valyrian steel, your grace, tell me.” Arthur contended, “He’s more content to stay near the guild of alchemists and visit the library nearby, just beneath Visenya’s Hill – though the Street of the Sisters is a fairly decent street to see interesting things, as it leads to the Sept, and to the Dragonpit, as well.” Ser Arthur would at least give the street the guildhall was on some credit, it was a good one for sights. “Though the Street of Flour has a small little bakery on it with some of the finest desserts in all of Westeros.”

~***~

Aemilia allowed herself a bit of laughter at Viserys’s explanation, “You’re right,” she consented, “I happened to forget I could be a knight if only I chose to be a boy, or a maester,” she would still argue she had knowledge enough in some areas for a chain. At least one or two, but that wasn’t knowledge anyone present, save perhaps the Queen, needed to know.

That conversation couldn’t continue, amusing as it could have been, or as depressing to hear things from a child’s view. The knight drew her attention as well, and she let her attention shift towards them, almost disappointed it wasn’t Pyke who showed up. ‘Where are you, anyway?’ Later, later, she’d learn his schedule in detail.

He likely didn’t have a set one just yet, anyway.

It seemed it was time to put an end to the picnic, and Aemilia sat back up as Rhaella moved Viserys. She wasn’t fast enough to help the Queen up herself, Tywin beat her to it, so instead she took time adjusting her own skirt so she wouldn’t end up stepping on a hem in rising. She hadn’t expected Tywin to take the time to move over to her after Rhaella was up, though she wasn’t terribly surprised, either.

Certain courtesies had to remain, after all – and bastard or not, she was the Queen’s lady-in-waiting. “Thank you, my lord,” she accepted the assistance up gracefully, as Cersei was sent off to her own duties for the day with her septa.

She pitied Cersei for that; she couldn’t stand being around septas and septons for long. She could find far more productive ways of staying busy.

Right then, she had to remain the Queen’s shadow, and once she was on her feet, she did release Tywin and step back to brush off her own dress, though it seemed perfectly fine. She moved over to Rhaella’s side once she had taken Viserys’s hand in her own to bring him along. “Thank you for your company, Lord Tywin,” Aemilia offered as a parting, as Rhaella offered a more cordial smile before turning to follow after the knight.

He walked enough paces ahead to not be too obtrusive to conversation. “I’m still hungry,” Viserys complained immediately.

“Patience, it will soon be time for lunch,” Rhaella said, though she knew Viserys would have a snack before then. He was still growing, and he still seemed thin to her.

Aemilia was quiet as they walked. Much as she wanted to ask what Aerys would want now, she presumed Rhaella herself wouldn’t be too certain. Rhaella could manage him, and was married to him, but it was more and more obvious that the two lacked much affection for each other, or understanding. She wouldn’t worry her needlessly with a question that could hint at her own concern.

She would accompany, and hope it was nothing too terrible, as they seemed to be led to the throne room by the knight.

Elia didn’t fail to notice Rhaegar’s hand cover her own. She appreciated the gesture from him, even though if her siblings had attempted that, she’d brush them off. She didn’t mind it coming from him, feeling a greater sense of security with the Prince. In her mind it was all her dreams coming true. What lady didn’t dream of being married to a kind, strong lord? Or in her case, a prince.

She tried not to let the idea of fantasies obscure reality.

Elia listened intently to Rhaegar and Arthur, making note of all the places mentioned. Some of their favorite places. “I do love desserts,” she offered with a chuckle, as if that had been the only thing she’d picked up on. Though, it was true. She rarely had to worry about sweet foods harboring offensive ingredients.

“There’s certainly much more to this place than I thought,” Saige added in a mumble. Her and Oberyn found themselves wandering closer to their sister, her betrothed, and their fellow Dornishman as the people became more of an abundance. People went about their days, whatever they may consist of. Cleaning, cooking, hauling things to and for. As they grew closer to the market by the harbor, more and more stalls of people selling things littered the little streets.

“Certainly!” Elia was much more enthralled by it than her sister. “I’d love to see everything. Not today, obviously. But one day.” The prospect excited the Dornish woman. “I don’t know much about blacksmithing or weapons, but thankfully I’m not marrying Ser Arthur--”

“Thankfully?” Ser Dayne inquired, his amusement shown in his eyes, skin wrinkling around his eyes.

“I mean no offense,” Elia offered a smile as a consolation, her head shaking the tiniest bit. She continued, “I have, however, had much time to read in my life. I’d love to see the library one day. Maybe read about reforging Valyrian steel.” If there were such books.

It wouldn’t even be an excuse to spend time with Rhaegar, though that would be a bonus. Elia genuinely loved reading.

Saige listened to the conversation, watching the people around them. Watching children climb atop various things to try and catch a glimpse of the Prince and his future wife. Siblings fight over their positions. Overall they seemed excited to see Rhaegar out and about. She hadn’t expected that, seeing how much of the Seven Kingdoms hardly favored Aerys.

As there was more to King’s Landing, there was more to the markets than previously thought. Familiar things from their home of Dorne, silks and wines. Even things from across the Narrow Sea. Wood carvings from Qohor, tapestries from Myr, perfumes from Lys. And Saige’s favorite--sparkly things.

-

Rhaella couldn’t help but anxiously fiddle with her skirts, unsure of what Aerys would want. Nothing good, she knew that much. Nothing good ever happened when her husband called for her. And this time she worried for Aemilia, particularly after last night’s events. She hated that she couldn’t ensure the Hetherspoon’s safety, not from her husband, anyway.

She didn’t want to send another handmaiden home due to Aerys’s abuses. And certainly not one that Viserys liked.

The throne room doors opened, the King sitting atop his throne of iron, looking as miserable as ever. He slumped in the glorified chair, wary of it as he’d been sliced by it too many times. If he could avoid it, he would when he could. But he was the king and the Iron Throne was where the king sat. He’d be damned if anyone questioned that.

“Took you long enough,” Aerys’s harsh voice spat at the young knight that led the ladies and the young boy in. The king looked as unkempt as ever. His beard and fingernails seemed to grow longer everyday, hair wild, almost tangled with the crown he wore. Aerys hadn’t always looked so untamed. Not that long ago, either.

“My apologies, Your Grace--”

“Why is the bastard here? I asked for my wife, not this disgrace.” Aerys interrupted upon the sight of the redhaired whore. To say he was not mad about the night before would be a lie. He still thought of having her executed, her and the Dornish one both. But particularly the one who dared to lay a hand on him.

As much as Rhaella disliked the way Aerys talked of her handmaiden, she felt relief that she was not wanted at the moment. It meant that whatever unpleasantness to come was not directed at the woman.

“I’m sorry, Your Grace, you did not specify not to bring her, I--”

“I know what I said!” Aerys’s hissed at the boy.

“Forgive him, my love.” There was never any love between the two siblings, but in an attempt to quell... “He knows now. Lady Aemilia, if you could please take Viserys--”

“No, my son stays.” Aerys declared. He would not allow his child to be left alone in the hands of the bastard. Not again.

Rhaella, however, was not pleased with that. She wanted Viserys far away from his father. But she could not fight her husband on it. It would do no one any good. “Of course. Lady Aemilia, if you wouldn’t mind. Please enjoy the rest of your morning.” Rhaella dismissed her, offering her hand to her son for him to take in place of Aemilia’s

Viserys quietly gripped his mother’s hand, though he was hesitant to let go of Aemilia’s. He didn’t want her to leave.

Rhaegar did chuckle a bit as Elia proclaimed she was lucky not to be marrying Ser Dayne. Not that he was ever an option, but that the man encouraged the bit of play was nice. He did like Ser Dayne for his ability to maintain a lighthearted manner in so many circumstances, while also remaining ever-vigilant.

“I can promise with some certainty that we shall see the library in the future,” Rhaegar offered, “and the library within the Red Keep, as well. I am not certain how much there is about Valyrian Steel in either case, certainly nothing about making it, but there may be something in there about reforging it. There are still no smiths in Westeros that can do so.” A complaint Aerys had voiced a time or two.

They didn’t visit often, either. In fact, Rhaegar could say with some certainty he hadn’t seen much in the way of Valyrian steel or dragon bones in the market in at least a year or two; he imagined that had quite a bit to do with his father, too. Not that Aerys wouldn’t enjoy such things, but because he was likely to seize them without paying.

His gaze shifted up to Saige and Oberyn who ventured closer, seeming to shield them as they kept forward. He noticed how Saige’s own gaze drifted out into the market, before a coughing fit came over Elia.

He stopped immediately, “Elia?” He had started to move to step in front of her, and put his hand over her shoulder, but Oberyn was there before him.

“We should have taken the carriage,” Oberyn had a scolding tone, but Elia shook her head, denying it.

“It’s only the smells – the perfumes.” She said weakly, lifting her arm to cover her nose and try to prevent breathing in the offensive fumes. Oberyn wasn’t so sure, but Rhaegar gestured out with his newly freed hand. He had noticed Saige’s eyes lingering on some of the jewelry at one particular stall that they had been approaching.

“Let’s move on a little over there, that should put us away from the perfume,” the stall seemed far enough away, and jewelry had a way of distracting people. He didn’t imagine Elia was immune to it, and he lowered his hand, moving the one at her arm to place it around her back so he could help to guide and shield her, once Oberyn went ahead to help create the path towards the stall.

~***~

The anxiety that Aemilia observed in Rhaella was not a good sign, but she did not reach out to her then, or offer some form of comfort. Later, perhaps. She expected to know what would happen and be present, however, as soon as they entered the Red Keep, she was almost immediately called out to leave.

Few insults got to her.

‘This disgrace’ did. Not that Aemilia reacted, but she couldn’t quite stop the rush of heat to her face, even if she could hide her hands behind her back before they clenched into fists. Aerys might take the flush for embarrassment rather than anger, at least, Aemilia hoped so as she dropped her gaze.

She only lifted it for Rhaella as she started to ask her to take Viserys – before that was denied. She held Rhaella’s gaze briefly all the same, understanding too well. She would have liked to take Viserys with her, but she would not cause any trouble. Not right then. The thought of seeing to it that Aerys was poisoned some night still occurred.

‘You have bigger fish to fry.’ Maybe. She was certainly reconsidering that.

She squeezed Viserys’s hand and gave him a small smile, before letting go of his hand. She’d see him again soon.

“Of course, your grace. Please send for me when you need me if I am not present in my quarters,” Aemilia inclined her head, stepping back in a slight hybridization of a curtsy, before turning to leave, the door opened before she could ever reach it, the guard wanting out just as well.

They didn’t speak, but parted ways. Aemilia would begin to head back to the Holdfast, but that was not her intent. Not to stay there, anyways, her intent was to find her favorite bastard and start exploring the corridors in this place.

Was Pyke what she found?

No, of course not.

She found a head of gold before she could slip into the Maidenvault to explore one of the passages she knew about (and in an attempt to try and find Pyke, presuming he might be stuck guarding there). The Maidenvault was near the Sept, so perhaps it wasn’t too surprising to find the young Lannister lady there, but she also knew it was nowhere that Cersei should have been, which begged the question: why? “Cersei,” she didn’t return to ‘my lady’ or anything like that. Cersei had doomed herself to forever be familiar, “What are you doing out here?” The same could likely be asked of her, but no matter, “Are you lost?” Certainly not, “I can show you to the Sept if you like.”

Or she could let her in on what she was up to. Maybe. It was that or be ratted on. Cersei might be quick enough to realize that.

Saige could have gone on about her adventures in Essos. Of the blacksmiths of Qohor, how they knew how to rework Valyrian steel. And how it apparently involved blood sacrifices. Maybe they should take up such practices in Westeros. But of course, no one could prove that’s how they did it. And Saige wasn’t about to suggest it to the Silver Prince. At the moment, anyway. She didn’t think he’d go for it.

Aerys probably would.

But before she could spew any of her thoughts, her sister went into coughing fit. Oberyn and Rhaegar managed to beat Saige to her, and Saige didn’t try to crowd in any further. Elia claimed it was the strong scents from the perfumes, which Saige knew better than to believe. Though, she was sure they certainly didn’t help, either. All that mattered was that Rhaegar and Oberyn believed it enough to dismiss it.

Oberyn, particularly. He’d have a fit, mostly at Saige, if he knew Elia was having one of her days. And that Saige knew it as well. But luckily, he said nothing. Went on to lead a path for them.

The Sand linked arms on the other side of her sister, using her other hand to reassuringly rub Elia’s arm. Leaning in, she whispered, “Say the word…” And Saige would have them on their way back to the Red Keep. She could even find a way for it not to be linked to Elia, if that’s what she wanted. ‘Fall on something. Draw a little blood. A lot of blood. Easy.’ Dramatic and more than unnecessary, but that’s what the Dornish lived for.

Or that’s what Saige lived for.

Elia shook her head. “It’s only the perfumes,” she insisted quietly, only because Rhaegar was right on the other side of her. He could easily hear, if he wanted. “Let me try,” Elia mouthed the words. They’d barely made it into the city, she didn’t want to make them all turn back already. What kind of impression would that leave on her betrothed? On everyone watching them?

Saige took a deep breath, stopping herself from rolling her eyes. ‘Stubborn.’ All of them were. “Shiny!” Saige cheered as they followed the path Oberyn had cleared. “That fixes all problems.”

“This is the last thing Saige needs to be around. She brought a trunk full of jewelry worth more than all the gold in the Lannister’s mines,” of course, that was just an exaggeration. “And that’s only half of it.” Of course, Elia loved the sparkly, pretty things. She had a few things she wore regularly. But she did not hoard it, and they were simple pieces. “Where are you from?” Elia asked the owner of the stall, noting the jewelry was certainly not of the style in King’s Landing.

Who stood with wide eyes, unbelieving that the Prince and his future consort stood. Quickly, he threw himself into a bow. “Pentos, my lady. Your Grace.”

-

Cersei was on a mission. Particularly one to avoid the Sept and her Septa. And to occupy the time that she was supposed be spending praying or sewing. Some trivial activity that she’d had enough of, no doubt. And what better way to fill the time than with a subject she hadn’t had enough of? The rumors that all three of the adults had denied her to hear.

It wouldn’t be that easy for them to disregard.

And luckily rumors were not a subject that was hard to hear of. Just which ones held any truth to them.

Cersei had already heard from two people. One on her walk, she hadn’t even asked, just overheard. Something about her father running off to sleep with the Queen’s handmaiden, Rhaella being jealous over it. And Aerys continuously being mad about Tywin fucking his wife. Tywin and Rhaella were always rumors, Cersei knew that. So something interesting must have happened with the Hetherspoon for anyone to be mentioning her.

Another one said that Tywin and Aemilia had danced the night away together, spent the feast drinking and laughing. Tywin apparently being seen smiling for the first time since Joanna’s death. That one greatly displeased Cersei. Anyone mentioning her mother, really, upset her. But particularly so when someone could even dare to suggest that anyone could assume the place of her mother. Especially Aemilia of all people.

Cersei knew that one was false. At least, the offensive parts had to be.

Cersei heard her name, her green eyes meeting Aemilia’s. The golden haired girl scowled at the lack of her title, but knew she’d doomed herself to that with when her slight had gone awry. She was only further displeased when Aemilia suggested that she was lost. “I’m not lost,” she snapped. She’d been living here longer than Aemilia! “I know where the Sept is.”

Of course, it wasn’t until after she spat at Aemilia that she realized she’d told on herself. If she knew where the Sept was, then she was clearly avoiding it.

Cersei didn‘t let the realization of her error dawn on her face. She shifted her weight, crossing her arms in front if her, holding one arm at her wrist. “I could ask the same of you, Aemilia.” She deflected. “I’d assumed you’d be with Queen Rhaella.” Unless she was sent off, of course. On an errand or otherwise.

“The Keep is a vast place, difficult to navigate. But if I were you, I wouldn’t worry about memorizing anything. Rhaella tends to go through handmaidens rather quickly, I’m sure you’ll be now different.” Cersei’s tone shifted to one of false cheerfulness.

One good thing about Rhaella and Tywin not being around. Cersei didn’t have to play nice. She didn’t havd to pretend like she respected the bastard or anything of the like.

Rhaegar did take note of the conversation with the sisters. He could not hear Saige so well from where she stood, but he could make out Elia’s reassurance, so he just presumed that Saige was more worried than Oberyn. Rhaegar remained worried, thoughts of Elia’s health and the rumors around it coming back to the forefront of his mind.

How was it Oberyn seemed of such good health when Elia did not? Or even Saige?

He could not question it, he supposed. He and Viserys were both healthy and strong, but they were not the norm. His mother had many failed pregnancies and children die young.

He did chuckle a bit as Saige’s worry turned immediately to the shinies, and at Oberyn’s response. He knew for a fact that was an exaggeration, if only because he had a good idea of precisely how rich the Lannisters were. Tywin could probably buy most of Westeros if he wanted to, and without selling a single thing.

They came to stop in front of the stall, and were greeted by a man from Pentos, who was clearly surprised to have been a spot for Rhaegar to stop at all. Rhaegar inclined his head to the man, much as Ser Dayne did, though Ser Dayne kept a smile on his lips that was more amused than kind, “I have heard of a saying in Pentos – you do not ask the baker what is in the pie, you just eat the pie – is this true?”

The merchant laughed a bit at the query, though there were some nerves in it, to be confronted with that saying, of all sayings, by a kingsguard. No matter how amicable Ser Dayne seemed, “Yes, it is for our spices more than anything, Ser. It would be quite a long list and no one cares so much, as long as the pie tastes good.”

“Hm, is that so?” Ser Dayne didn’t believe it, nor did Rhaegar, but he still smiled, “I suppose that would make sense. You do have quite a few gemstones here – which would you say are the rarest?” Likely the most expensive, then, but it was worth having a look and going from there.

“Oh, for us, it would be pearls, though I am not certain if they are so rare here,” he gestured them in, and took them to section of pearls. Rings of larger pearls, necklaces of other stones, or only pearls, but he gestured to one in particular, “Princess,” for he could easily assume who this was, even if her name did not come to mind immediately, “Most of these pearls are saltwater, but it is freshwater pearls that are valued more. In Meereen, it is believed that a bride ought to wear pearls on her wedding day, and freshwater, to bear healthy children. I am sure, of course, that Westeros is beyond such superstitions, but they are still pretty – and what is a little extra luck?” He said it as Elia reached out to the string of baby pearls, and Rhaegar let her go to examine them more at her leisure.

He hadn’t heard of that superstition, of course. It was not one common in Westeros, though he had seen brides wear them. He had presumed it was more to match their wedding attire than anything else. Rhaella certainly never mentioned it - and if anyone would know of that superstition, it would be her.

~***~

Aemilia was rather amused with Cersei’s attempts to deflect, and to call her out on the fact she wouldn’t hold her position long. “His Grace dismissed me, so that is why I am not at the side of Her Grace, presently,” Aemilia answered easily. She had a reason. Cersei did not, “I thought I would become familiar with King’s Landing. Perhaps I will not be her long, but I should not act as if that will be the case if I intend to try and stay long, should I?”

That would not befit her role at all, “If you know it so well, perhaps you could aid me in learning it? As you have already clearly decided to forgo visiting the Sept, you may find this a better excuse to stay out and avoid the tedium that comes with interacting with a Septa.”

Aemilia was glad to be done with dealing with them herself. Their false gods were nuisances, their beliefs and doctrines hardly tied to the reality of the world around them.

“That, or perhaps I should go to the Lord Hand and inform him of where you’ve been…?” The trailing comment was followed by a step backwards. Even if Cersei ran to the Sept and Septa now, there was a good chance the Septa would tell Tywin of when she arrived, and it would fall in line with Lady Aemilia’s words.

Still, she was fairly curious what Cersei would pick. And Aemilia might not like the child, but she saw some potential in learning more about the Lord Hand from her. It might require giving Cersei some information as well, but at least Cersei seemed to have understood their fake familiarity meant they didn’t need to be quite so…tactful in their language.

That would make things far more interesting.

Saige listened to the Pentoshi man speak of pies and pearls. He was quite a good salesman, she’d give him that. She stuck close to her half sister as Elia examined the pearls the man spoke so fondly of. Saige’s eyes roamed other accessories of different metals and gems. Pearls weren’t much her thing. She was no bride-to-be and she felt the pretty little rocks made her look like someone pretending to be a proper lady.

But on Elia, they’d be perfect. Small, dainty, pretty. Like her. They didn’t outshine her at all. Saige’s attention moved back to Elia when the older girl had set her sights on the little pearl necklace. “May I?” Elia asked permission to pick the string of pearls up, not wanting to assume that she could. Even if she was with the prince.

“Of course, of course. Please, Princess,” the man eagerly allowed. He fished out a mirror from under his stall, giving it an encouraging push towards Elia.

“Thank you,” Elia offered him a small smile, carefully picking up the necklace in her hands.

“Here, let me,” Saige interjected, gently taking the necklace from Elia’s hands. It gave her a chance to examine the pearls, see if they were real. With her obsession for jewelry and the careful eye she’d been gifted by the many rich men she’d slept with, she liked to believe she could discern real gems from fake ones. From painted rocks or colored stones. They looked real enough to her. “Very pretty,” she complimented, pushing her sister’s hair out of the way.

“It is a very lovely necklace,” Elia offered to the Pentoshi man.

“Very lovely on you, Princess!”

Saige observed her sister as she admired the pearls. She seemed to like it, “How much?” Saige asked. She’d never heard of this Mereen superstition, she figured it was a sales tactic. And they didn’t even know what Elia’s dress would look like yet, but pearls weren’t exclusive to weddings.

“Normally, five hundred and fifty silver. But for you, four-fifty.”

“Does that work often?” Saige tilted her head as the man looked at her, clearly unsure of what to make of her, unsure of who she was.”Giving a ridiculous price and then lowering it to a less ridiculous price? It’s a beautiful necklace, really. But no one would pay that much, not even in Pentos.” Whether he did this with everyone, or just with them because they with Rhaegar, the known rich boy. She wondered what he would have said if it was Tywin.

“Four and we’ll take it.” Saige declared, fishing the silver out of her little purse. It was still more than it was worth, both of them knew it. But money was not an issue for any of them standing in front of the jeweler. But the man, swindling as he was, might have a family to feed.

-

The last thing Cersei wanted to do was spend her morning with her Septa. The second to last thing was spend it with Aemilia. She’d rather spend the day shadowing her father, something she rarely ever got to do. And she wouldn’t ever get to do if Aemilia told her father that she’d skipped out on lessons with her Septa.

One thing Cersei knew was to absolutely at all costs avoid getting in trouble with her father. He was not a kind, relenting father. But she couldn’t say he was the worst. That had to have gone to King Aerys. And probably other fathers. Her situation could have been worse, but it wasn’t.

Cersei resisted the urge to take a step forward and insist that Aemilia not tell her father. She sighed. “No, that’s not...necessary.” Cersei nodded her head in the direction she’d been walking. “Since you know where the Sept is already, we don’t have to venture back that way.” Her Septa wasn’t expecting her, she didn’t think, but it was still best to stay out of sight from her, because she’d certainly tell Tywin when and where she’d seen Cersei. And then he’d know she avoided it.

“I don’t know how much you’ve seen already, but I’d assume you’d know your way around Maegor’s holdfast, at least. And the Maidenvault,” where they were then,”is used mainly for housing guests. There’s a dining hall, bathing rooms.” Everything needed to live, really, since the Targaryen used it to imprison his sisters.”Prince Oberyn and the Dornish are residing here currently.” The Dornish were a rowdy crowd. The previous morning she could have sworn she’d heard them while she was all the way in the Sept. “I can’t imagine how much time the Queen’s handmaiden would spend here.” The Queen didn’t spend time here, Cersei didn’t think. Unless to greet guests, which Rhaella wouldn’t do much of. Aerys probably didn’t allow it.

The golden-haired girl supposed she could make something of this, of showing Aemilia around. She had been searching for answers on these rumors she’d heard about, and most of what she’d heard had been incredibly exaggerated. What better source than the center of gossip herself? Of course, she could lie. “You know, I’ve heard quite a bit of those rumors mentioned over breakfast. Have you heard any of them, Aemilia?” She questioned but didn’t give her a chance to answer. “Some people seem to believe you’ve slept with my father.” Cersei didn’t skirt around the subject.

She gave Aemilia a once over, “Which I do not believe.” She meant any offense that came from the comment. “Perhaps, for everyone’s sake,” for Aemilia’s, Tywin’s, and Rhaella’s. And to feed her own curiosity, “It would be beneficial to clear up any false information.” Not really. People would whisper anyway. Cersei just wanted to know what really happened.

And if she had to worry about Aemilia.

Elia did seem smitten with the pearls. The stones had their allure, though they were not top of Rhaegar’s list by any means. Their sheen was the part of them most loved, but Rhaegar found he preferred moonstones when it came to sheens and the way they could toss different colors from their white surface. Pearls still seemed…white. Pretty, of course, and they could be paired well with many things.

They lacked some quality of being daring, though.

The price did not surprise Rhaegar, and he would have easily seen it paid – but Saige spoke up immediately, and Rhaegar’s own eyes widened slightly at her audacity to speak out against it. He’d seen a few people haggle, and he knew Tywin Lannister made a habit of it, but he had rarely engaged in the practice himself.

From the initial five hundred and fifty, to four hundred – though the man had seemed inclined to lower it to four hundred and fifty quite easily, a tactic that Saige had called him out on.

Oberyn seemed to be holding back a chuckle, as Elia just sighed, but didn’t interject. The man, also, did not argue further, “Yes, of course – four hundred will suffice,” there was no salesmen pitch now about how he was lowering it for them, or making a special concession. Likely, he did not wish to be embarrassed in front of the prince any more.

“Thank you,” Oberyn said, with a slight hiss to his voice, “Come now, we should see what else is in the market!” He didn’t want to have to deal with another snake, even if that was what all merchants were.

“Lady Saige,” Rhaegar found himself inappropriately using a title again, “Are you certain you wish – I would not mind covering this,” he said, meaning the pearls, as silver was reached for to be exchanged.

“We can handle our own goods. Let us spoil Elia a bit ourselves – you’ll have plenty of opportunity to do so later!” Oberyn said, “We would hate to be seen as mooches, even if it I don’t mind that often."

Ser Arthur scoffed at that, a memory, certainly, of having to deal with Oberyn’s mooching coming to mind. “The Martells can afford it,” he decided to agree with Oberyn on that.

“Thank you, Saige,” Elia’s voice was a bit lower in gratitude, and slight guilt, over how much her sister was spending on her behalf. Her cheeks had at least taken back some color thanks to that guilt.

~***~

The first battle was won – Cersei caved and did not want Aemilia to go to her father, so she agreed to show her around a bit, offering meager details on the Holdfast and Maidenvault. “Yes, I am aware of the Martell host present here. Prince Oberyn is a friend of mine,” she told Cersei, before they would start to leave the area. It was no issue to her, she was not there to see Oberyn, even if he was still within – which, Aemilia doubted. Oberyn was never one to stay in one place long.

It would give Aemilia a reason to be in that area, though, if it was needed. She could have been seeking him out.

Cersei was soon to abandon the topic anyway, seeking out answers about rumors – the truth behind them. Aemilia managed not to smile too broadly, but her lips still curled in a bit of mischief as Cersei seemed to try and insult her, to get at the truth of it all. The truth she wanted, of course, not the truth that was.

Were people truly imagining Tywin Lannister would run off with a red-haired bastard? Aemilia wondered if she had missed something herself. “I did not sleep with your father, Cersei,” Aemilia supposed she could quell the girl’s fears there, “but we did have a good evening. He even accepted a dance with me, and we chatted for a while.” Aemilia knew the thought of her dancing with Tywin would burn within Cersei, “I had not realized how truly scandalous it was until later; it seems it is not common for your father to dance.”

Aemilia couldn’t force a blush, but she could duck her head a bit and let the red of her hair offer that illusion, “He is not so terrible a man to have the interest of, though I suppose you wouldn’t agree, being his daughter. He must seem quite a bit different to you,” would the gamble pay off, hinting that she might have an interest in Lord Tywin? She wondered what things Cersei might spew to dissuade her of such a notion, as they walked.

Wondered how many ears might catch the words and add fire to the rumors already in place.

Saige didn’t think she’d ever get used to being called ‘Lady’, not on purpose. She’d been called Lady and Princess by mistake, people who’d never seen Elia thinking she was Elia. But she’d certainly been called worse, so she wasn’t complaining. Saige let her brother and Arthur speak first, before reiterating what had been said.

It took a lot of will not to laugh at Oberyn saying they’d hate to be seen as mooches. She certainly didn’t care. Half of Essos saw her as one. Because that’s what she had been during her years across the sea. But of course, that wasn’t something she’d say in front of Rhaegar or Arthur. And it certainly wasn’t a good look for her sister.

“Just Saige is fine, Your Grace. I’m no lady.” She could understand insisting it in front of Viserys, to teach him a bit of respect. And it was kind of him, she appreciated that. But she saw no need for it otherwise.

“And thank you for the offer. But it is as Ser Dayne and Oberyn said. My purse is not crying.” She assured. “You’ll have many chances to dress my sister in the finest of things, as we’d hope for you to. And hopefully you won’t allow yourself to be swindled without my guidance.” She knew that Rhaegar didn’t care as much as she did. She wondered how many times the crown may have been cheated on things simply because they didn’t think anything of it.

“And you, sweet sister, are very welcome,” Saige found Elia’s hand and gently squeezed it, knowing very well Elia felt bad Saige was spending any money. “Consider it a very, very early wedding present. Good luck and healthy babies. I’m fairly certain he made that up, however.” But the idea of it didn’t hurt, she supposed. Elia would need it. Saige absolutely hated the idea of Elia carrying and birthing children. She knew Oberyn did too. It was a great risk, especially with Elia’s frail health.

But Elia had to.

“I don’t know. I think he was telling the truth about that,” Elia elected to believe. Because of course she would. And her siblings did not shoot it down.

The market was lovely, admittedly. Of course the Dornish didn’t think it held a candle to their own. The siblings had fond memories of their home. “Maybe he was. Maybe we’ll find out.” Oberyn was too amused when he spoke. He passed over many interesting booths filled with arts of many kinds. All that deserved more attention than the old woman he’d brought them to, proclaiming she could see the future for a silver coin. And also an assortment of legumes. A snake, sure, but an amusing one at least.

-

Cersei’s fears were quelled, but only for a moment. And then she felt her face heat up. She felt a slew of emotions. Anger, mostly. With both her father and Aemilia. She felt her mother had been disrespected by the both of them. Even if she knew very well that her father could not be committed to her dead mother forever. She didn’t care.

“No, it’s not. He hasn’t danced with anyone. Not since my mother.” He hadn’t done a lot of things. Hadn’t danced, hadn’t smiled. Not since her demon of a brother murdered Joanna. As much as people liked to gossip about him and Rhaella being together. And now Aemilia and Tywin.

Cersei’s wildfire eyes could have burned holes into the side of Aemilia’s face, right through the red of her hair. Cersei nearly gagged at Aemilia’s seeming infatuation with her father. She didn’t, however, suppress her eye roll as her gaze set forward once more, her jaw setting.

“Politically, no. I suppose his interest wouldn’t be horrible. Personally, I’m sure you’d be left very unsatisfied. He’s not my grandfather, as I’m sure you’ve heard stories of. He’s not affectionate or pleasant to be around,” she attempted to paint her father in an undesirable light. Not that it was untrue. Tywin loved his children, but he was not affectionate. He did not hug them, he did not make any efforts to be an understanding father. And he was frustrating to be around, as much as Cersei wanted to learn from what he did.

None of that mattered, though. Not for Aemilia.

“I’d hate to hurt your feelings,” that was a lie, “but whatever you perceive as interest is surely a misunderstanding. My father was more than likely just being polite. You are the Queen’s handmaiden and the daughter of vassal house’s lord. It’s important to maintain good relationships.” Cersei decided for her father. “And in the implausible event that he did have some interest in you, I’d hope you’d be smart enough to understand it as brief entertainment.” If that.

Tywin would never commit himself to her. He wasn’t like Cersei’s grandfather, a fool. And he’d never marry Aemilia, if that was something she’d be silly enough to hope for. She may be legitimized, but she was still a bastard to the Lannisters. And she was only a Hetherspoon. If Tywin was ever to marry again, it would he to someone important. But he often mentioned that’s the purpose his children would serve.

“However, it is very strange for my father to take time to do anything that wasn’t appearance or work related. Perhaps he wanted the rumors.” She feigned a musing tone, heavily implying her father was just using her. Which was a terribly unappealing thing, it seemed.

A light chuckle slipped from Rhaegar at the correction, “I’m sorry, Lad—Saige. This will take some time to get used to,” and he knew he would slip up again, in the future, when he forgot about her request. He would likely have to be reminded a few times. It was just in his nature. “While you remain in King’s Landing, perhaps I will simply have to make sure you accompany me in shopping, when I wish to spoil your sister, so that I do not end up swindled – and so I may surprise her on occasion.”

Elia did blush deeper at that, “I will know what you’re up to if you leave with her.” His intentions then would be obvious.

Rhaegar could only smile, “Yes, but you would not know what it was I was going to get you. The surprise would remain,” and she would have something to look forward to. Saige would likely be good at advising him for a while as to what Elia liked, and it would be good to get to know her.

He imagined trips to the market would be far easier with her, instead of Elia, too. They could return with stories as well as gifts. He ought to be friends with Elia’s sister, and her family in general – but seeing as Saige was trusted to stay at her side, it did seem important to also stay on Saige’s good side.

He also did not want to move on to the topic of children. It was expected of both of them, but he was aware before Elia arrived, that many were not certain she would even be able to carry a child to term.

“There are stories about gems and metals across the world,” Ser Dayne was the one to note it, “Obsidian has some of the most interesting stories to it. Perhaps they are true,” he would defend the pearls, at least. “I’ve seen many a knight debate how to decorate their scabbard, or ceremonial sword, based on such stories,” Dawn had its stories, of course. The stones were likely chosen based on some of those stories, even if the sword itself, coming from a fallen star and not Valyrian steel, seemed sufficient.

They came to another stall with that, to a woman who claimed she could tell the future for silver. Oberyn seemed to think it would be interesting, “Come on, let’s see what is in store for us,” he chimed, and volunteered himself first, taking a silver coin and handing it over to the older woman.

She seemed to eye him with some wariness as she took the coin from him. She even made a point to bite down on it. A snake recognized a snake, perhaps, but all the same, the silver was real. She motioned him over to a slightly indented plate, before taking up her legumes and moving them into a cup.

She placed one hand over the top of it, as she swirled the legumes, before letting them fall into the plate, none spilling out.

In one area, she gestured to a line of eight beans, all tilted horizontally, “Eight daughters you will have, no sons, in your life, and no heirs.”

“Daughters can inherit in Dorne.”

The woman ignored him with that, did not explain herself, “It will be the bite of a snake that sees you from your home, for many years you will live away, unable to return, only to come back more venomous than before.” Her gaze shifted up slightly, “Prince Oberyn.”

He hadn’t introduced himself, though he did not take much surprise from her knowledge of who he was; he wasn’t, after all, there in disguise and everyone in King’s Landing knew who he was. Her prophecy was interesting, though. Not the sort of thing someone trying to get on his good side would say. “Well, maybe you do know a thing or two. I’ll have to bring my daughters to you, one day.”

~***~

Cersei confirmed the obvious in her anger, and went on a venting tangent about how Tywin wasn’t affectionate, or pleasant. She had little good to say at all, and dared to compare Tywin to Tytos. She wondered how Tywin might feel to hear himself compared, poorly, to Tytos. The anger rolled off of Cersei too obviously.

She didn’t like the thought of Tywin and Aemilia at all.

In spite of all her thoughts that Tywin could only be polite, however, Cersei continued to turn over possibilities in her head. It seemed her mind never shut off, and in spite of herself, Aemilia found a begrudging admiration for the strategist blooming besides her. Was Tywin aware of his own daughter’s intelligence, of her ability to look at a situation from so many considerations?

Aemilia would have to be wary of her…but she also couldn’t help but continue to want to play with her, just a bit, and tease more out of her. “There is a limit to polite, Cersei. I think we both know that dancing goes beyond being polite,” particularly if Tywin had not done it with anyone since Joanna, “I think you may be on to something with your last consideration. It was something I was already considering myself.”

She did not let Cersei guess at it, but spun it for her, “My Queen and your lord father have too many rumors circulating around about themselves and a non-existent relationship. I did consider, after the fact, it may do some good to spin new rumors. If people think Tywin is seeing someone else, it may do something to help both my queen’s standing, and your father’s, don’t you think?” She allowed a smile to touch her lips, sly though it was, as she let her gaze drift back over to the determined lady.

“If his position is better in the eyes of King Aerys, that could mean better opportunities for you, as well.”

Cersei likely didn’t imagine that someone would consider using her father. Tywin was the one that used people, never the other way around. “It seems to the benefit of many that these rumors persist, no matter how little truth there is to it on your father’s side.” She wouldn’t take from herself. If rumors spread that she might develop feelings for Lord Tywin, that could also be useful.

Better than rumors of her hatred, anyways. Hatred led to suspicion. Rumors of affection led to opportunities to be used – to be close – and she could work in those moments far easier than she could under suspicion.

She’d just have to work on playing that up a bit. She didn’t quite know how one seduced someone like Lord Tywin. He wasn’t a touch-starved maester.

Oddly enough, eight daughters didn’t seem so surprising. A lot. A lot of girls. But for Oberyn? Saige would be more surprised if he didn’t have a couple girls running around somewhere already without his knowledge. She couldn’t see Oberyn marrying someone and having children. But maybe one day he would settle down. They wouldn’t know because the fortune telling woman was entirely too vague. If it was the truth at all.

Saige wondered, if the woman could really look into the future,—or rather, read the beans—if it was as vague to her as it was to them. Or if she just chose to be mystic.

Oberyn mentioned bringing his daughters to her one day, to which she shook her head, “No.” She said only that, elaborating no further before turning her attention to the group, holding her hand out. “Anyone else?”

Saige looked to Elia, only for Elia to shake her head. “I don’t think I want to know my future.” She didn’t want to know how many kids she’d have. What if the woman told her she’d have none? And in front of Rhaegar and her family. Or if the woman told her something else unsettling, like Oberyn’s vague snake bite? Elia didn’t want to know, even if her siblings seemed to take this all lightly. Elia didn’t want to know in the chance, albeit a small one, that it was true.

Saige looked at her for a moment, “Truly?” She would have thought it was something Elia would find interesting. Elia had always had an innocent curiosity. But the princess nodded, and Saige shrugged. “I guess I’ll bite,” Saige handed the woman a silver coin, which she did not obviously bite like she did with Oberyn’s, but she eyed Saige warily nonetheless.

Motioning the bastard closer, to take Oberyn’s place, she gathered up the legumes in the cup once again. Stirring them, repeating the motions. The legumes scattered across the the plate, landing stiffly. All but one, that bounced off the plate. The woman hummed, looking down at the results. “Of all the snakes, the most venomous one is you, Saige.”

Perhaps the Sand should have been more surprised by the woman knowing her name. She wasn’t as well known as her siblings, no one awaited her arrival. But she had just spoken her name to Rhaegar. He’d said her name. She simply could have overheard. Saige’s eyebrows raised, opening her mouth to speak, only to be spoken over. “You will bite those who step on you. And those who don’t. You slither too close to fire. Many fires.”

Saige laughed, awkwardly. She understood now, why Elia didn’t want to know her future. Likely didn’t leave the best impression. “Well. That’s not what I thought I’d hear.”

-

Cersei didn’t appreciate Aemilia suggesting that her father was doing anything more than being polite, even if she knew there was some truth to it. She couldn’t help the sour look that painted her face, a harsh look briefly landing on Aemilia before she forced her gaze forward.

“I doubt my father’s position will ever be better with King Aerys’. Anyone with eyes could see that. Or so I thought.” Cersei grumbled, even though she knew she shouldn’t insult Aemilia so easily. Even if the woman seemed to be less intelligent as Cersei previously perceived, she still wasn’t stupid. She could run off and tell her father that Cersei elected to ignore his orders to spend her day with her Septa.

She briefly wondered if this was an attempt from Aemilia to get on her good side. Or for her to spin this in some beneficial way. As if Cersei would put in a good word.

Nevertheless, “But yes, perhaps it’s useful for many parties. I’m sure the Queen would benefit,” Cersei didn’t hate the Queen but at the same time she didn’t care. Rhaella seemed weak to her. She pitied her, yes. She was smart, a good Queen. Rhaella was very kind, and the Lannister couldn’t help but think that was where she erred. “And maybe the obstacles Aerys places in front of my father would lessen.” She had to be careful what she said about the king.

Anyone could be listening. And anyone would be happy to rat out bad mouthers to look better. Especially if it was Tywin Lannister’s daughter. And Cersei didn’t want her head on a spike. Or to burn. Or to be tortured, whatever would stroke Aerys’ fancy on any particular day. Him and his declining mental state.

“And of course, you. Given they have a brain, people would bend over backwards for whoever was supposedly courting my father.” In hopes of being in good social standing with Tywin Lannister. For money. For the chance of having their children married off to a Lannister, especially if it was her or Jaime. Which would never happen. Cersei and her father were still silently holding out for Elia to die in some fashion. And Cersei wasn’t about to let anyone marry Jaime.

But the point was that anyone would make a fool of themselves it meant there was an illusion of chance. And Aemilia would benefit well from the rumors. “I suppose I don’t see the harm in the rumors. As long as you understand they will only remain rumors.” Whether Cersei was threatening her or not wasn’t entirely clear to Cersei herself. Logically, there was no reason to threaten. Tywin wouldn’t marry Aemilia, there was no threat to Cersei’s title.

But in Cersei’s head...all she could think of was Aemilia trying to replace Joanna.

Saige’s reading was not quite what anyone expected to hear. No talk of children like Oberyn, and while Oberyn had his reputation for being a snake, it seemed that Saige was poised to best it. Arthur laughed, at first, startled and amused that Oberyn would have a rival claimant to his title, “I wonder what we’ll call you, the Yellow Viper, then?” He was thinking of Martell colors. If Oberyn was already the red one, then she could be the yellow. Sand was yellow.

Yet, the woman continued.

It implied that Saige would bite friend and foe alike, and stay near to danger at all times. At least, that was how Rhaegar understood it, and he did feel a sense of wariness build in his gut. He tried not to think much of prophecy, but it was not something that escaped him. Many believed he was the Prince That Was Promised, and while he did, at times, consider it – somehow, he didn’t quite believe it.

Though it might come from his line. He believed that much of the prophecy that Jenny had told.

Elia offered a nervous chuckle as her sister spoke, “I don’t think you’re that bad,” she noted. “Perhaps—”

“No, don’t you say it, me and my eight daughters want this prophecy for ourselves.” Arthur laughed at that, unable to help it. Oberyn seemed like he’d spoil his daughters, at least. If he knew of them. There was the potential he wouldn’t, with all his travels.

“Will you hear her out, Your Grace?” Arthur asked, and Rhaegar shook his head.

“I believe one prophecy is enough for a life.” He indicated, then canted his head, “You?”

“Why not?” He stepped forward and offered out his own silver. That was not bit at all, hardly glanced over by the woman, who’s gaze became almost solemn as she looked over him.

“You are the last Star of the Morning.”

It was a strange gut-punch for Ser Dayne. He had relatives. His hand moved to the hilt of his blade in a rather protective fashion. Did something happen to the blade? To his family?

Oberyn sensed the distress immediately, and suggested, “It would be hard to ever stand in his shoes – I don’t think there’s been a Star of the Morning so good as him for ages. Perhaps you’ll be buried with it?” His eyes shifted briefly to the sword.

Arthur tried to take that meaning, but his throat felt dry, as he managed a slight nod. The woman’s gaze suggested nothing so happy or honorable. Only Oberyn got any measure of happiness in his prophecy.

Perhaps it was, indeed, better that the Prince and Princess hear nothing.

~***~

Cersei seemed to work through the logic herself, her insult easily ignored. Better to look an idiot than seem too clever. It was always a balancing act, and while Aemilia did take some offense – wanted to note that Tywin could easily be put on the execution list for having an affair with Rhaella, if he saw fit.

It was unlikely he’d get in any trouble with Aerys if his attention shifted to a bastard.

Besides, Cersei understood. She talked it all out, a rather amusing quality, but Aemilia wouldn’t point that out. “You have read my mind, Cersei,” she indicated, “the benefits far outweigh the cons of the scandal, and I am aware of my place in all of this. Even were I trueborn, I am still only a Hetherspoon. No one cares much for the Spoons.”

It did make some things easier. She was a bastard of a not-great house. Quite a bit was overlooked due to that alone. “But who doesn’t dream of more?” She still allowed a slight chuckle. She was ambitious, she couldn’t lie about that entirely. “If this earns me some benefits and perks, I am certainly not going to claim to be altruistic and desire none of it.” Cersei already noted that people might try to curry her favor, to get in good with Lord Tywin.

All for naught, but that was their own fault.

“The question remains then, do we let him in on it, or simply leave him to ignorance?” Tywin might be unwilling to play along if he knew. Leaving him to ignorance meant they’d have to hope he reacted well. So far, he was doing a splendid job. A few more dances, a few more moments caught alone together, and the rumors would likely ignite like wildfire. “You know your Lord Father better and whether he would…outwardly approve such a thing.”

And, she dared add, “We also would not want him getting the wrong idea, but if you do not think he can act it, then we can leave him unaware.”

It was decidedly better that Rhaegar and Elia did not hear the woman out. Oberyn was the only one who’d received any good news, even if it was amongst some questionable tellings. Saige got called an evil snake. ‘The Sage Viper, obviously.’ she thought in response to Arthur. Her name was a spin on a color, a plant too. Of course, she didn’t say as much. Certainly not as the woman implied the destruction of either the legendary sword or Arthur’s family. Maybe both.

Saige sincerely hoped it was the sword. Arthur was a friend. His sisters were friends. The Daynes were friends. Dawn was notable, but it mattered little in comparison to Ser Dayne and his family. Oberyn suggested Arthur would be buried with it. The woman didn’t seem to reflect such an honor to be truth. Nevertheless, “Yes, maybe no one else is deemed worthy enough to wield it after you,” Saige suggested as a consolation.

“I think we’ve heard enough fortune for...the rest of our lives, don’t you?” Oberyn interjected, speaking to his sister and Ser Dayne. “We should move on, allow Elia to see the rest of the city.” He turned back to the legume woman, his hand resting on Saige’s back to move her onwards. “Thank you for your insight.”

Saige resisted scoffing at that, letting her brother move them along. She waited until they’d wandered far enough away to speak, “I don’t know how much truth there is coming from a woman telling fortunes with beans for one silver.” She spoke more towards Arthur, than anything, to ease any worry. Even if she felt some of her own. The woman had not painted her in a kind light. “She’s probably just scaring people for fun.” After all, if she could really see the future, why would she sell her gift for only one silver coin?

“Why do you all want to take this away from me and my eight daughters?” Oberyn asked, lighthearted as ever. The tension was palpable. “And to think I was going to name two of them after you and Elia.”

“Mhm, of course you were.” Saige, at least, appreciated his attempt. Even if her mind kept going back to the woman. And how she wanted to not believe her. “There’s some very interesting people here in your city, Your Grace.” She joked. The swindling jeweler and the bean-reading woman.

Should she see that as a reflection of the rulers?

-

Aemilia was sneaky. She probably thought she was slier than she was. And that added only a further layer of suspicion. Distrust. Cersei wasn’t sure how to read her. At once she seemed entirely too naive and another she was completely aware of how she could benefit from her ‘relationship’ with Tywin.

What was Aemilia’s intentions here? Just to be Rhaella’s handmaiden? Have a few scandalous rumors? Was it just a trait of Hetherspoons to go after unattainable Lannisters?

Either way. Cersei raised a perfectly groomed eyebrow when Aemilia decided they were a ‘we’.“My father would never approve. Name means everything to him. Haven’t you heard the stories? About my grandfather? And the extent my father went to re-establish the Lannister name.” Their damn legacy. Of course, Aemilia had to have. She was of the west. Not to mention everyone in the seven kingdoms knew. “And as you said yourself, your name means nothing.” She thought to emphasis, though Cersei was implying more than just her name meaning nothing.

“He pays little attention to rumors, but if we bring it to his attention that we plan on encouraging it, he won’t play along. Quite the opposite, more likely. It’s not that he can’t act, he just won’t.” Even if he knew it had the potential to lessen Aerys’s resistance, his attempted humiliations on her father. He might even make an effort to dispel the rumors. All in the Lannister name.

Rhaella’s name at least meant something. A legitimized bastard gave him nothing.

He’d probably say Cersei was trying to bring shame to their name. “You’ve done a good enough job making people believe there’s something there so far. I’m sure you can maintain that. It’s not about making my father believe it more so than bystanders,” that was more of a reminder to Aemilia. As to what she should focus on.

“I do think I should warn you, however. The King likes to pay special attention to women my father is supposedly interested in.” She knew about Aerys and her mother. People liked to remind her of it. It had much to do with the rift between the once friends, Aerys and Tywin. Cersei sometimes wondered if that’s why the Lord Hand allowed such rumors of himself and Rhaella. As revenge of some sort. Even if it resulted only in difficulties for him.

Sometimes resulted in harm of women he supposedly had contact with. Even if most of them Tywin would never go near. All it took for Aerys was hearsay.

Elia was trying to think in a positive light, but there was no real way to do so, beyond what Oberyn suggested for Ser Dayne…and little at all for Saige, if it was possible. It was better to assume that the woman had lied, even if Oberyn clearly wanted his eight daughters. So, Elia laughed a bit, however forced, and said, “She was short-changing you, Oberyn. You’ll have twelve daughters!” Still no sons, that was just too much fun to deny him sons.

And, Elia knew, Oberyn wouldn’t care. He did not care about his partner’s gender, he’d hardly care about his children’s gender. He would love them all the same, and see that they had whatever they needed and wanted in life.

“Ah! How dare she try to deny me four of my daughters!” Oberyn sounded absolutely horrified and scandalized, which caused another fit of giggles from Elia as Saige commented on the town.

Rhaegar gave an easy nod to Saige’s statement, “There are many sorts that come to King’s Landing. Our market has the most…variety,” though he supposed the market was really just full of the most colorful sellers, all of them with different ways to part people from money, be it shiny things, or future insight. Those who lived in King’s Landing or were in more stable parts of it, were not so colorful. “We can go through some of the other streets, there remains much to be seen in the town.”

Elia nodded, her giggles having died down as an effort of her own part, “Oh, yes. Maybe after this we can go and see the Street of Steel,” for Arthur’s sake.

Arthur smiled, but shook his head, “There is no need of that, not just yet, though I suppose it may interest some others besides myself.” Oberyn was a skilled fighter, but he doubted anyone was really looking for new weapons. “We should move on to the Street of the Sisters,” he suggested instead, “So we may see the Sept and the Dragonpit.”

“Oh! Yes, I’d nearly—” coughing. It was a wracking fit she’d tried to quell when she felt it building after the giggles, and Rhaegar was quick again to reach for her, and to place a calming hand on her back.

~***~

Small maneuvers of language seemed to be working. Cersei hardly protested the ‘we’, much as Aemilia had never protested using her name without a title. It was a curious lie they were building around themselves as to their own relationship to each other, a curious plot they were weaving, as well. Cersei could have told Aemilia to go tell Tywin, but instead, she advised caution, to not let him know of the lie being built and woven.

“I have heard the stories, Cersei,” she had lived the stories, “it was the Rains of Castamere your father and I danced to,” a power move on both of their parts, and neither would likely be willing to claim that they had been outmaneuvered at any point.

If she continued to play in that fashion, she was likely to spark enough rumors, and draw Tywin’s curiosity often enough that he might seek to understand why he was being played with.

Then she’d have her chance.

“I appreciate your warning, as well,” she added, “I have heard those horrendous lies about Lady Joanna,” she would not dare to speak disrespectfully of Lady Joanna. She had no reason to, for one, Lannister or no, she had not been behind the downfall of the Reynes. That fell solely to Tywin. Perhaps Kevan and Tygett were to blame, but more likely, they were just following their brother’s orders. “Did she offer any caution or teachings from her own experiences to you, Cersei?”

A good mother would, in theory, teach their own how to prepare and protect themselves. Lady Joanna had the benefit of being married to Tywin and so almost impervious to rumor and slander, and Cersei had the benefit of being his daughter, but they were still in a world run by men who didn’t know how to keep their desires in check sometimes. Aemilia had used that with some, but not all were safe to play that game with, nor did she want to play that game with all.

She’d sooner put a knife through Aerys than let him touch her.

Saige did not reach for her sister this time, letting Rhaegar do so on his own. She did hover, however, in case it turned into something more. She said nothing to Elia this time. By now her sister would know that if she needed to turn back, all she had to do was give her a signal.

Saige could feel Oberyn’s gaze burning in their direction. By now he’d have to have caught on to the fact that the two women hadn’t been open about Elia’s health that day. If he’d been privy, Elia wouldn’t have even left her room.

Saige would get an earful later, she was sure. It was now actually her job to take care of Elia in this strange place, not that she hadn’t always looked out for her sister. She wasn’t sure Oberyn would understand why she had been...lenient, but he had to know Saige would never let Elia into a situation that couldn’t be handled.

“I’m fine, I’m okay,” Elia insisted, her voice not reaching her usual volume, another coughing fit threatening to arise if she did. She cleared her throat in an attempt to dispel the feeling of needing to cough. “I suppose I just got a little too excited is all,” she dismissed with a wave of her hand and a forced chuckle. She knew she couldn’t keep coming up with excuses. And surely Rhaegar already knew of her less than stellar health.

But it was still embarrassing, as much as her siblings told her not to care or worry. But it had barely been a day that she’d been in King’s Landing, and even when at some point the truth of her fragile state came to light, she was still making her first impression. And as kind to her as he was, Rhaegar might not want a chronically sick wife. And she was sure Aerys would he happy to get rid of her if he could figure it out.

“Please, continue,” her voice was a bit stronger now. “I’d like to see the Sept and I know my sister is eager to see the Dragonpit.”

“There’s always time to see it, Elia,” Oberyn offered, but Elia didn’t bite.

“If I need a break, I’ll say so.” That was the most she’d admit to her ailment.

-

Cersei blinked at the revelation of what song Aemilia and her father had danced to. It wasn’t much of a dancing song, but it played at every event her father attended. She knew her father liked to use it to threaten those who stepped out of line, remind them of what he was capable of. But to dance with a woman who posed no threat to him?

Cersei wondered if he’d done it to possibly impress Aemilia, but the thought was brief and fleeting. She pushed it out of her mind. Gods, she wished she’d been allowed to attend the feast. She hated being out of the loop as she was then. Her father knew that.

Cersei was torn between being bothered and thrilled that someone other than herself was speaking of her mother. On one hand she wasn’t sure if Aemilia’s mentioning of Joanna had a scheme behind it or not. On the other, Cersei loved talking about her mother, but had few to talk about her with. Usually she would with Jaime, but he was far away. She’d never talk to Tyrion about her, even if he wasn't too young to understand. And she hadn’t heard her father even utter Joanna’s name in years.

She feared her mother would be forgotten. Or all that would be left is negative things.

The Lannister Lady pulled herself back into the conversation. “In a way, she tried. I was too young when she was alive to understand. Now, however…,” She trailed off. Her mother had been protective, Cersei could look back on a handful of memories, even though the clarity of them faded every day. “Most things I’ve come to understand on my own.” Her septa said she was too young to pay mind to such things, but Cersei knew better than that.

“I don’t suppose your mother taught you such things,” It came out harsh, but Cersei hadn’t meant it to be, really. She meant it more as a question, she was curious. She supposed she and Melara hadn’t spoke much of her bastard sister when they’d been friends. When Melara had been alive. Cersei didn’t know much about Aemilia other than the things Melara had said, generally favorable.

Cersei briefly thought, wondering if they shared the loss of their mothers. It wasn’t uncommon, the blonde supposed. There were plenty of things that lead to premature death, particularly in women, it seemed.

Elia was not okay, and even through her insistence, Rhaegar knew that. Her voice was quieter. The pallor of her skin had changed significantly. He did know of her history, of course – his father made a point of suggesting it as reason enough for them not to marry, but he had still conceded with this match.

A part of Rhaegar wondered if it was due to the shared Valyrian blood – however diluted – or to spite Tywin.

Oberyn tried to suggest another day – and it was true, there would be other days. Rhaegar could see that wasn’t going to work, but his conscious wouldn’t let them continue this way. “No, not like this,” he said, and Elia’s gaze shot over to him, startled, frightened – frightened, that dug at him.

He tried to put on a soothing smile, “Prince Oberyn, would you be willing to return to the Keep and get a carriage or a litter? I do not wish to put your sister’s health at further risk, but I do not think any of us wish for this venture to be over so soon.” It seemed a fair compromise.

He’d ask Arthur, but Arthur wouldn’t leave his side, and it didn’t seem proper to ask Saige when she’d have no authority in the Red Keep on her own. Oberyn would be the only figure influential enough who might be believed in order to get either of those things, and he didn’t think the man would protest.

Rhaegar had an impression to make, too.

He had to show he was going to care about Elia, and be alert to her health.

As he asked for that, Elia’s gaze slunk to the ground and her posture lost some of its confidence, “I’m sorry….”

“There is nothing to apologize for,” Rhaegar said, and looked to Saige to back him on this, “Your health is important to all of us.”

~***~

The surprise at the song was anticipated.

What was not anticipated was the pause that followed mention of Joanna Lannister, and Aemilia was able to take a moment to register it as Cersei herself regrouped. She did remember that Joanna had tried, but she had been too young to understand. An empathetic hum left Aemilia as she noted that, and turned the question back to her.

Her own gaze flickered down.

The lie made her mother dead, but it was the truth, as well. She had the influence of Hazel, for a while, before she, too, passed on. “My true mother died when I was quite young, and she told me to avoid noble men in no uncertain terms. I believe that was her own bitterness with her lot seeping through, though,” it was a complaint of Pyke’s mother, not her own, of course. It was a warning many women of the smallfolk seemed to pass on to their daughters.

Don’t believe the honeyed words of noblemen. They want one thing – and it isn’t thyme. “Lady Hazel tried to impart some teachings, as did the Septa,” an evil woman, “but I do not believe any of them expected me to need to navigate the intrigues of courtly life and rumor as a noble lady. They only knew me when I was not legitimized.” A light shrug.

She took no offense at Cersei’s tone. Impertinence seemed the norm with her, so she would not take offense at it. “My mother did say that a small dagger goes a long way in dealing with men who can’t take ‘no’ for an answer, though I imagine that does not work so well in these halls,” she allowed a light chuckle at that.

No, she could hardly imagine that would go over well – not from a bastard with no honor to protect. “I imagine Joanna had better ways of handling things.”

Elia’s siblings exchanged a look with each other at Rhaegar’s request, both surprised. But there was a mutual relief they felt for the fact that he addressed Elia’s health issues. That he was paying attention, and he wasn’t being cruel about it. Saige and Oberyn knew plenty of Elia’s past potential suitors would happily find some way to make Elia feel bad about it. Worse than she already made herself feel.

And while the siblings appreciated Rhaegar’s recognition, Saige knew the real test would come when Oberyn was gone. How Rhaegar would treat Elia then. Oberyn was really the one who could hold influence over whether Elia even stayed or not, even if it was their mother who arranged the pairing. Whereas Saige couldn’t turn around and put Elia on a boat back to Dorne.

Saige came to let her hand rest on Elia’s shoulder, “Rhaegar is right, there’s nothing to be sorry about. And there’s no shame in taking care of yourself,” she insisted. She’d told Elia all of this before, that she should put herself before trying to please anyone. Perhaps Saige didn’t truly understand how it all worked, she was not at risk of being married off to some lord, and certainly not a prince.

And despite everyone’s words, Elia was embarrassed. She wished in that moment that she was healthy as the rest of them. That they didn’t have to pause their outing because she couldn’t continue the way she was. “Thank you for being understanding, Rhaegar,” Elia resisted the urge to apologize again.

“I’ll go catch a litter, and then we’ll continue about our day,” Oberyn insisted the ease of it, that it was not a big deal, for Elia. Oberyn gently, reassuringly, rubbed Elia’s back for a moment. “Saige, Elia, I expect you both to keep the Prince and Ser Dayne sage while I’m gone,” he jested, and it didn’t fail to make his older sister crack a small smile despite herself. “I’ll be back soon.”

With that, he was off, retracing their steps back to the Keep.

While Elia was distracted by Oberyn’s departure, Saige mouthed to Rhaegar a ‘thank you’. She supposed it might be useful to have a conversation with Rhaegar, perhaps without Elia, to fill him in on things he should expect with her. Without the risk of Elia feeling ashamed. And she also had to consider mentioning to Elia that she should manage her expectations of herself. She couldn’t pretend to be perfectly healthy forever, that was a quick lesson.

-

“Your birth mother, she wasn’t wrong,” bitterness often came from experiences, did it not? “I know plenty of noblemen I would avoid if I could,” but her status as a lady wouldn’t permit that. Especially since, with Rhaegar to be wed, she’d probably be toured about in her father’s effort to find another suitable marriage.

Though, even her own father told her to be wary of such creatures, something he carried on from her mother. He often told her they’d say anything to get what they want, and what they wanted was transparent. And the fact that she was aware of the games played made her smarter than them, already. Something her father often stressed she ought to be, though it wasn’t something she recalled hearing from her mother.

Cersei did have to chuckle, “Effective, but no. I don’t think that would work well in these halls.” It would work well if a death sentence was what you were after. Perhaps it worked better amongst smallfolk. But here, of all places, Cersei suspected even mentioning a sharp object in the same building as the King would be grounds enough to execute.

Cersei did not feel the need to elaborate that to Aemilia. She was smart enough to know.

“She had a name. That’s usually enough for most people.” The name Lannister sent most running for the hills. Not only because she had been the wife of Tywin, but Cersei was not foolish enough to think that Joanna’s only talent was to sit and look pretty. If that’s all there had been to her, Tywin wouldn’t have married her. There was plenty of women that were pretty and Tywin didn’t bat an eye. He liked substance. Something Cersei also appreciated.

But that Lannister substance didn’t scare everybody. There was one family the lions couldn’t touch. And they liked to take advantage of it.

“I’m sure she had more than that, but I wouldn’t know any of her tricks. And I wouldn’t know where to begin to find that out.” She’d just been entirely too young. And her memories of her mother faded, quickly. “Do you...do you have trouble recalling your mother at times?” Cersei questioned, hiding the vulnerability in her voice. Even if it was apparent in the question itself. Cersei simply wanted to know if it was just her. If it was a fault of her own or just how things went.

The tension and the embarrassment was palpable around Elia. Rhaegar could sense how terrible she must have felt, not only physically, but emotionally. It was clearer now that she had been trying to stave this off and continue on, but she hadn’t the strength. She wanted it, but it was not hers to claim.

She truly was sickly, and Rhaegar couldn’t help the stray thought that this was not fair, to either of them.

He tried to dismiss it quickly, and gave a nod to Oberyn, “Thank you,” he said as the man agreed to return and get the litter so they could continue on. “Let’s step aside,” he stepped back so they could move out of the path of traffic through the area, Ser Dayne using his own form to step between any that might dare to pass too close to them as they moved aside.

Rhaegar did catch the words Saige mouthed him, and he gave a small smile and a nod. His own ‘you’re welcome’. Much like her, he made a mental note that he would definitely need more information on Elia’s condition and how normal this was for her. He also had a feeling he wouldn’t get the truth from her. Already, she was starting to say, “It is not usually so bad.”

Rhaegar managed a sympathetic nod, “You are in a new environment. Our air is quite different from that of Dorne,” in regards to the moisture of it, he knew. “There is much that could bother you and make you ill, until you are accustomed to it,” he allowed her what may or may not be a lie, for the moment, offering easy explanations, “We will be patient with you and your condition. It is no bother.”

It was. He wouldn’t say that, of course. He knew if it was constant it could be quite the bother to his lifestyle, and what he hoped. He would also worry over the health of his children by Elia. If they were so weak as her, it would not be good at all for the dynasty.

~***~

The chuckle was almost refreshing to hear, given the way their conversing had started and the digs into her Cersei had attempted before. She allowed a smile to remain on her own lips as Cersei dismissed the idea of blades all together, here, at least. ‘I’m still keeping it.’ If the king ever actually tried to lay a hand on her in such a way, she wasn’t sure if she’d prefer murdering him or enduring it to take revenge later.

What she’d seen told her she would probably prefer murder.

Cersei’s recollections of Joanna were not so clear, it seemed. She couldn’t recall any lessons given, and reflected on the fact her mother had a name – but qualities? She could not seem to bring one up, and Aemilia did feel for that. She had known her mother for even less time. Her father stood out more prominently in her memories, but her father had been…dramatic, and that was likely putting it kindly.

“All the time, really,” Aemilia wouldn’t dare to lie about that. “I can recall some of the things she tried to teach me, and I have some small moments I treasure still, but sometimes I am not sure if I am recalling her face correctly, or whether or not she had blue or green eyes. I can remember she used to sing, but I cannot remember the words, or if she just hummed….”

She was more accustomed to speaking of it than Cersei, in truth and in fiction, though it was easy to weave the two together…still, Aemilia found herself wrapping her arms around her chest as if to stave off the cold of the memories. Or perhaps, the worse thought that always followed them – how much was true? Aemilia wondered if she had invented things that were not true, in inventing the false mother. “It occurs with any loss, but perhaps your lord father would have more to say about Joanna’s traits, if you asked him. Or perhaps your Aunt Genna?”

Lord Tywin might not be the best to speak with, but Genna was another woman, and certainly someone who could relate. She had lost her own mother fairly young, if memory served. “Or you could tell me what you remember of her,” it was offered more softly. Much as she may not want to, she could empathize deeply with the loss of a mother. It was not an easy pain to endure, and she doubted Tywin made it any easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back