• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

UEEF Marines - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Pyrrah shakes her head. "Other than to ask where to find Cmdr O'day, I'm good to go, Chief." Once she has the location of Cmdr O'day, she waits to see if Onni has anything for Chief Olsen before gathering up the rest of the squad and moving out.

Eonivar Eonivar

Purr Purr

C'osmo is currently busy down in the hangar bay of the Normandy, working on a new Silverback to get it ready for action when you look up and see a line of new Cyclones being hauled onto the ship. You remember hearing that there are some new nuggets coming onboard; this must be some of their gear. From what you've heard, this latest series of Cyclones put the older Rifleman Cyclone to shame.

Commander O'day spots you eyeing the cycles and walks over. He is a big man with a head of bright red hair that is kept buzz cut short. He is almost large enough to be a young Karbarran, but not as good looking (at least to your eyes). Of all the Marines on board, he has never called you doofus, but you are far from his favorite person on the ship.

He gives you a nod, acknowledging your salute. "C'osmo. Just the Marine I wanted to see. You are going to be busy with these new Cyclones, warming them up and getting them ready to deploy. Make sure you do a top shelf job on them. The men and women in these babies are members of your new squad. These are a bunch of newbies, fresh out of training, so do try to make a good impression for once. Your new LT is a Zentraedi named Pyrrah, and once she checks in with me I'll inform her of the addition to the squad."

He pauses for a moment, then says, "i know that the Zentraedi were used to occupy your home planet before the Masters bolted out of there. I trust that there won't be any problem with taking orders from one of these Zeeks?" He looks at you with an unreadable expression, waiting for your response.

Onni looks at the chief and salutes. "Thank you sir. No questions, one quarters should be fine with all of us Garudans, we all know each other and fought in the resistance together back on the homeworld, and we are used to working in small spaces, perspective is key to understanding, we are small so...the space should be fine, it is very appreciated that you all go out of your way to modify your ship to accommodate my kind, thank you. it appears that my assumed maintenance duty will be assigned via the Commander, so I will accompany my commanding officer to be assigned accordingly."

The Garudan falls in beside Lieutenant Pyrrah and awaits the Chiefs dismissal. After the Chief dismisses them, on the way to find the Commander, Onni looks up at his Meltrandi commanding officer. "Lieutenant, I would be curious if you could find out where we are going to and when we are going to fight? I know most of that is need to know, but it would be worthwhile if we knew at least where, so we could prepare accordingly. We do not have to know immediately of course."

Psychie Psychie

C'osmo is currently busy down in the hangar bay of the Normandy, working on a new Silverback to get it ready for action when you look up and see a line of new Cyclones being hauled onto the ship. You remember hearing that there are some new nuggets coming onboard; this must be some of their gear. From what you've heard, this latest series of Cyclones put the older Rifleman Cyclone to shame.
Sherwood Sherwood

Because boys will be boys and boys love their toys, this brand-new technology pulls C'osmo in as surely as a black hole swallows light. In moments, the young Karbarran's chocolate-brown eyes are wide with wonder as he looks over every viewable millimeter of each of the new Cyclones.

C'osmo excitedly calls out to his only real friend on the Normandy. "Oh wow! Would ya look at this? Honey! Honey, come over here and record this, please!" The droid obediently hovers over and does just that taking in the angles as surely as the nerdy Karbarran.

His heart is swelling with pride to be part of the UEEF and among the creatures that make the UEEF the very best in technology and science when one of those humans walks up and addresses him, startling him out of his wits.

Commander O'day spots you eyeing the cycles and walks over. He is a big man with a head of bright red hair that is kept buzz cut short. He is almost large enough to be a young Karbarran, but not as good looking (at least to your eyes). Of all the Marines on board, he has never called you doofus, but you are far from his favorite person on the ship.
"YAIEOW!!"

C'osmo, forgetting briefly that he is not alone and in the cargo container he calls home, spins to Commander O'day, coming to attention and saluting him. Saluting, after all, was a greeting between warriors and this human always looked every bit the part to C'osmo. For a single moment, C'osmo thought that it could have been his new squad commander - a meeting he has been dreading since the hour he received his orders.

Another squad just meant another kick in the pants.

He gives you a nod, acknowledging your salute. "C'osmo. Just the Marine I wanted to see. You are going to be busy with these new Cyclones, warming them up and getting them ready to deploy. Make sure you do a top shelf job on them. The men and women in these babies are members of your new squad. These are a bunch of newbies, fresh out of training, so do try to make a good impression for once. Your new LT is a Zentraedi named Pyrrah, and once she checks in with me I'll inform her of the addition to the squad."
"Top shelf job on them?" C'osmo wonders inwardly, his thoughts racing. "He wants me to prep these Cyclones? I'm not a Cyclone tech! I'm a Silverback guy, vehicle armorer, and gun-goon! What am I supposed to--"

"Yes, sir! I'll have them purring like your Earth-kittens, sir." Then he mumbles and looks to the bikes. "Um, the Cyclones, not the squad sir."

He pauses for a moment, then says, "i know that the Zentraedi were used to occupy your home planet before the Masters bolted out of there. I trust that there won't be any problem with taking orders from one of these Zeeks?" He looks at you with an unreadable expression, waiting for your response.
"Huh?" The very notion of racism flew by C'osmo's head like a speeding comet.

Instantly, inside his mind, he saw the human Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson speaking to him. "'We are all connected. To each other, biologically. To the Earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe, atomically.'"

"Heck no, sir!" He remains at attention, his own expressions unhidden and so animated as to be easily discerned. "I think each individual should be seen for their character, not whatever race, gender, or origin they happen to come from, sir."

C'osmo cannot help but grin and look at the brand-new Cyclones and Honey. For a brief moment, he does not consider the differences of rank between Commander O'day - he just sees a fellow being who has never treated him... well... like a "Doo'fus."

The nerd inside C'osmo gets the better of him as he pats a pocket stuffed with a red rubber thingie. C'osmo looks to Commander O'day. He enthusiastically points a thumb toward the pack of new Cyclones and makes revving motions with his other paw.

"Uh, sir? You wanna hang around long enough to hear 'em rev up? I mean - they're braaand neeew! Just think of all of the science the UEEF put into these babies! Er... SIR!"

Last edited:
The Garudan falls in beside Lieutenant Pyrrah and awaits the Chiefs dismissal. After the Chief dismisses them, on the way to find the Commander, Onni looks up at his Meltrandi commanding officer. "Lieutenant, I would be curious if you could find out where we are going to and when we are going to fight? I know most of that is need to know, but it would be worthwhile if we knew at least where, so we could prepare accordingly. We do not have to know immediately of course."
As they walk through the corridors of the Normandy looking for the Commander, she looks over at Onni and says, "To be honest, I'm not 100% sure. When the UEEF set out on this mission to Tyrol, we were told to expect to face off against the Robotech Masters and their Bioroids. But from the info we are getting from the various refugees that we have come across, the threat seems to be changing its focus from the Masters to the Invid. I can't see that the UEEF would let the Invid continue to attack and occupy the worlds around them like this without having some desire to help free the worlds occupied by them and restore peace."

Pyrrah thinks for a moment, then says, "I am young enough that I haven't had any direct experience in facing off against the Invid, even if I have received training from my Zentraedi superiors on what to expect. But no matter what, we shall remember that we are Strike Marines, and will deliver the hurt to our foes, be them Invid, Robotech Master, or even fluffy unicorns made of candy. If they stand against us, we will be victorious a against them."

A glance at her data tablet shows her that they are being directed to one of the several mecha storage bays. The commander must be examining our Cyclones and weapon issue to see what we bring to the table.

Onni glanced up at Pyrrah and listened. "I doubt the Masters are valid threats any more. The Invid are our real enemy. All they do is consume with no regard to whatever world or people they hurt in doing so. My people had been fighting the Robotech Masters and now the Invid for generations now, your people were never sent to Garuda...probably because of our unique atmosphere. Most of the Sentinels, the gathered non-humans and non-Zentradi are veterans in fighting the Invid. We did not have much of a chance fighting the Invid before though, now with the UEEF on our side, we have the possibility of victory for once. I would have no doubt that most of us are eager to combat and deal with the Invid on our own terms."

The Guradan was quiet a moment..."Umm, by the way, Lieutenant, what is a...how do you say it...a 'unicorn'?"

Sherwood Sherwood

Because boys will be boys and boys love their toys, this brand-new technology pulls C'osmo in as surely as a black hole swallows light. In moments, the young Karbarran's chocolate-brown eyes are wide with wonder as he looks over every viewable millimeter of each of the new Cyclones.

C'osmo excitedly calls out to his only real friend on the Normandy. "Oh wow! Would ya look at this? Honey! Honey, come over here and record this, please!" The droid obediently hovers over and does just that taking in the angles as surely as the nerdy Karbarran.

His heart is swelling with pride to be part of the UEEF and among the creatures that make the UEEF the very best in technology and science when one of those humans walks up and addresses him, startling him out of his wits.

"YAIEOW!!"

C'osmo, forgetting briefly that he is not alone and in the cargo container he calls home, spins to Commander O'day, coming to attention and saluting him. Saluting, after all, was a greeting between warriors and this human always looked every bit the part to C'osmo. For a single moment, C'osmo thought that it could have been his new squad commander - a meeting he has been dreading since the hour he received his orders.

Another squad just meant another kick in the pants.

"Top shelf job on them?" C'osmo wonders inwardly, his thoughts racing. "He wants me to prep these Cyclones? I'm not a Cyclone tech! I'm a Silverback guy, vehicle armorer, and gun-goon! What am I supposed to--"

"Yes, sir! I'll have them purring like your Earth-kittens, sir." Then he mumbles and looks to the bikes. "Um, the Cyclones, not the squad sir."

"Huh?" The very notion of racism flew by C'osmo's head like a speeding comet.

Instantly, inside his mind, he saw the human Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson speaking to him. "'We are all connected. To each other, biologically. To the Earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe, atomically.'"

"Heck no, sir!" He remains at attention, his own expressions unhidden and so animated as to be easily discerned. "I think each individual should be seen for their character, not whatever race, gender, or origin they happen to come from, sir."

C'osmo cannot help but grin and look at the brand-new Cyclones and Honey. For a brief moment, he does not consider the differences of rank between Commander O'day - he just sees a fellow being who has never treated him... well... like a "Doo'fus."

The nerd inside C'osmo gets the better of him as he pats a pocket stuffed with a red rubber thingie. C'osmo looks to Commander O'day. He enthusiastically points a thumb toward the pack of new Cyclones and makes revving motions with his other paw.

"Uh, sir? You wanna hang around long enough to hear 'em rev up? I mean - they're braaand neeew! Just think of all of the science the UEEF put into these babies! Er... SIR!"
O'day looks up at C'osmo and lets out a grunt. "Good to know. Not every being in this universe has the same level of intelligence that you do, Lieutenant, and they allow their own personal prejudice to color their perspectives." He looks at the shiny new Cyclones, and you can see that he has a similar level of interest in seeing the ride armor in all their glory. "Lets go ahead and open one up. I'm curious to see these new bikes."

As C'osmo starts to head over to them, several other members of the deck crew join you in eyeing the gleaming Saber Cyclones with interest.

It is about this time that Pyrrah, Onni, and the rest enter the mecha bay. It is a large chamber, filled with scores of the older generation of Cyclones that the UEEF had deployed early on and are now being phased out. Other mecha are here, safely stored in their cradles along the walls. Dozens of men and women are in here, most of them busy at their assigned jobs, but you can see a small crowd starting to form around a familiar set of cycles; namely yours. It appears that the deck crews are starting to unbox them to get the Cyclones ready for deployment, and the new mecha has sparked a bit of interest.

Included with the bunch of techs is one of the hulking Karbarrans and a Marine officer with captain's bars on his collar. You believe that this captain is Commander O'day.

Eonivar Eonivar Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood (It is not my intent to leave anyone out; I just want to tag those I know who have posted recently.) =)

In moments, C'osmo is lost in the world of the Cyclone gods. For starters, he gets this big grin on this face and proceeds to singlehandedly pick up the coolest-looking Saber Cyclone and carry it out so the commander can get a clear view of her lines, her body, and those brand-new tires without yet even a spot of mud on them.

"Oh sir!" he sets the bike down just enough to let the tires and suspension bounce. "After you hear this baby roar, I bet you're gonna wanna ride a Saber yourself! We'll make a believer outta you yet, won't we Honey?" He looks up to the gleaming basketball-sized robot hovering and recording nearby.

Just listen to that baby go! 8D

"Cyberpunk 2077 - Arch Motorcycle With Keanu Reeves"

For about a minute or two, C'osmo goes into what he can tell by examining the Saber and Light Cyclone and then proceeds to light the Saber up. The sound of pure brand-spanking-new UEEF fills the mecha hangar in ways that mecha themselves cannot achieve - the sound of motorcycle goodness! As he is revving the engine, C'osmo pats the seat and yells. "Sir! Science in action! The seat cushion is custom-formed to the chassis so it absorbs most of the engine vibration! I bet that makes for easier shots on the enemy while in motion!

"Look at this engine and thruster combination! By golly, when you light that rear thruster up, no doubt she'll leave a Rifleman in the dust so fast you can hear the older bike crying in jealousy!

"And the VR-038 Light over there? Any faster and you'll go back in time!"

That's when the nerd in his big soul bit down and held on. Tight.

"She'll burn rubber like... wait... rubber..." He pats the pouch where the little rubber thingie in his pocket sits.

"No, don't do it!" shouts the practical logical side of his brain. "The commander and who knows who else is watching! You'll get into trouble!"

But the scientific curious side of the nerdy Karbarran shouts back. "Every bike worth riding can pass the dinosaur test! If it can't pass it, it's just not a bike! The test must be performed!!"

C'osmo stammers and goes into what sounds like scientific gibberish (unless one is fluent in science that is). Glassy-eyed like a bear possessed, he stares into the unknown for one long powerful moment. "But... exhaust! Coolness factor! I... I... I gotta know!!"

He shuts the Saber down and for a moment, all goes quiet in the Normandy's mecha hangar as his love of science overwhelms him. With passion and finesse, C'osmo rips the rubbery device from his pocket and affixes it to the underside of the Saber. In moments, he's got it properly attached so it won't fly off.

Then he starts the bike back up and...

...turn up the volume and get ready to laugh! Just look at that face go!

It is a combination of this...

"Dragon exhaust" - One of the YouTubers in the comments says, "Imagine this on the highway and the amount of car crashes caused by laughing drivers."

...and this. Wobbly fun at its best. =)

All on a brand-new Saber bike. =)

C'osmo sees the results and his big brown eyes just glow in discovery! "It passes the bike test! It's a true champion! I've never been prouder to be in the UEEF!" So absorbed is he that he has no idea who besides Commander O'day is watching and certainly no idea that his new squad commander and squad just walked in at the right moment to see him blissfully losing his ursine mind.

Last edited:
As they walk, Pyrrah looks over at Onni and says, "A unicorn is a mythical animal that the humans came up with. It is supposed to be a magical beast of some sort, looking like a equine but with a long horn on its head. Humans are constantly inventing strange animals like that. They have such vivid imaginations."

Once they reach the hangar, she steps off of the lift and looks around. Pyrrah watches from a safe distance as the bear man hoists up the Cyclone and begins to examine it in detail. If he wasn't cleared to work on them, that commander would hopefully say something to put his antics to a stop. She feels like she should say something, but her curiosity keeps her mouth shut for the moment. What was this Karbarran going to do to her Saber?

With a slow, deliberate pace, she walks up closer and says, "That Cyclone is the latest in UEEF technology, going from zero to sixty in seconds, and with enough firepower to blow any bioroid or Invid shock trooper into the next time zone with ease. With all of that going for it, we can now add that it passes your own, personal test of its capabilities." She offers up a grin at the antics of the bear to help show that she is not mad.

She then looks at the captain and says, "Are you Commander O'day? I am LT Pyrrah, Strike Marines, with my squad. We are here to report in."

The big human nods, saying, "Yes, I'm Commander O'day. We were just looking at the shiny new toys that R and D have come up with." He glances around at the gawking crew members and raises his voice slightly. "Alright, shows over! Get back to work. Or I'll find something for you to do."

Most of the crowd breaks up, leaving a few techs that are checking over the Cyclones, logging ammo levels and setting the cycles up to be ready to deploy at a moment's notice.

Cmdr O'day turns back to Pyrrah and says, "Welcome aboard. Now that you are here, you get to meet the last member of your team that's just been assigned. This is LT C'osmo. He is going to be your science officer and weapons tech for your team. He it's fully rated on the Silverback, and is a skilled tech to help keep your Cyclones running smooth. Once you have settled in, you will find his personnel jacket available for you to review. C'osmo, met your new unit leader, First LT Pyrrah."

He doesn't wait for the introductions to take place as he looks over at Onni. He asks, "Are you aware that your quarters are rigged to match your home environment? There is a rapid cycle airlock attached to your quarters so if there is an alert you will be able to sortie out quickly."

He looks to Torni and says, "Recon?"

She nods. "Yes, sir."

"Good. It takes a lot of self discipline to keep the squad in touch while under fire. I hope you have what it takes to get the job done."

O'day then looks at Keith. "Talk about having guts. What we have here is a squid that thinks he can keep up with a bunch of Strike Marines. I'll be keeping an eye on you, soldier, and the second I feel you aren't up to the task, that cramp in your backside will be my boot going up your ass. You get me?"

Keith nods. "I get you, sir."

"Good. Now we all have work to do, so unless you have something for me, I'll be on my way while you get your Cyclones properly secured as ready to drop. Any questions?"

As they walk, Pyrrah looks over at Onni and says, "A unicorn is a mythical animal that the humans came up with. It is supposed to be a magical beast of some sort, looking like a equine but with a long horn on its head. Humans are constantly inventing strange animals like that. They have such vivid imaginations."
Onni tilts his vulpine head slightly in interest. “Ah I am sure all of our civilizations have legends and stories of such things. I do agree though, the humans have extraordinary imagination and creativity. You can see it in the technology they created.”

The Garudan’s sharp hearing heard the noise occuring in the hanger bay, well before they got there. “Are they running a race in there?”

Once they arrived the tiny 5 foot Garudan stood and looked up at the massive Karbarrian lifting up and inspecting one of the cyclones. He temporarily focused his attention on the commander who repeated what the Chief had said regarding the Garudan Quarters.

Greeting with a salute and a “Sir”, he responded. “Yes sir, the Chief already briefed me on the Garudan quarters set up and their location.” He glances over at the Karbarrian, with a cheerful tone, there was a slight grin under the mask, the Guardans long tail seemed to swish in amusement. .

“But given my squadrons handling of our cyclones currently and seeing I am a certified UEEF engineer for these new cyclone models, I suspect I will be spending my time here doing maintenance rather then bunking in my atmosphere regulated quarters. All I must say is that I am glad there is not any ordinance loaded on those cyclones yet. Yes, they are designed for rough use, but they are also designed to be quieter than what they are being run for now. While the invid sensors for sight and hearing are not as strong they will be able to hear…that…from many kilos away. Also know that we Garudans have very sharp hearing, thus why we wear these.” He points to the headset like earplugs in his large pointed ears. “But I do request everyone try and keep it down so as not to overload our sensors. All in all, I suspect we all need a review on proper care of our mecha, I would be happy to provide such training sir”.

"Brian Eno - New Space Music"

With a slow, deliberate pace, she walks up closer and says, "That Cyclone is the latest in UEEF technology, going from zero to sixty in seconds, and with enough firepower to blow any bioroid or Invid shock trooper into the next time zone with ease. With all of that going for it, we can now add that it passes your own, personal test of its capabilities." She offers up a grin at the antics of the bear to help show that she is not mad.

She then looks at the captain and says, "Are you Commander O'day? I am LT Pyrrah, Strike Marines, with my squad. We are here to report in."
Eonivar Eonivar Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood

C'osmo smiles brightly at first - here was someone who seemed to know her bikes! What joy! "Who is she?" he wonders.

But when C'osmo hears 2ndLt Pyrrah state her name, he stops. For one long moment spent in realization, the huge lumbering bear stares at her as if paralyzed. Then a change both terrible and wholly undesirable begins to take place. He slowly cuts off the Saber's ignition silencing the beast, weakly points at the rubber dinosaur head, and his voice drops into a mumble until finally he lapses into momentary quiet. "See... uhh... the amount of rear thruster force generated.... inside the rubber exhaust head... provides a clear visual... everything happening... in such a small span of... time... head indicates a thrust-to-weight ratio... well-beyond... the Rifleman Cyclone... uh... yeah."

C'osmo, met your new unit leader, First LT Pyrrah."
"Yes... Yes, sir," C'osmo says, his tone deflating.

"Good. Now we all have work to do, so unless you have something for me, I'll be on my way while you get your Cyclones properly secured as ready to drop. Any questions?"
C'osmo mechanically salutes this human commander who has not yet wronged him. "None, sir. Thank you," he says and finishes the thought in his mind, "for not treating me how my new 'squad' is most surely about to. Here we go. Again." When able, C'osmo retrieves his exhaust kit and puts it away.

Then from inside his satchel, he pulls forth three things: a manila-colored sealed envelope, a stupid-looking glittery ribbon one might place on a child's toy, and a large round yellow pin with the following huge words emblazoned on its face: "I'm not with stupid - I AM stupid!"

With a sad sigh, C'osmo plants the ribbon on his forehead, pins the pin on his military fatigues over his heart, and hands the letter directly to 2ndLt Pyrrah.

"Delivering as ordered, ma'am."

All of the happiness and brightness you saw just moments ago begins to slowly fade and die as the big brown bear appear to dull and age before your very eyes, the fires going out one by one.

The letter is addressed to "FNG's next squad leader - because he ain't welcome in this one!" If opened, the following can be read on a wrinkled 8 x 11 lined paper upon which a heavy hand has written in red-inked large letters the following message:

To the next poor guy who gets this sorry loser,

YOU OWE US A CASE OF HARD LIQUOR! KEEP READING AND YOU'LL AGREE!

He WON'T shut up if you ask him anything about science.

He CAN'T fight because he's never seen live combat (not that he's worth taking along anyway).

He SHOULDN'T be let anywhere near real soldiers like you and me because he isn't one and never will be.

But he WILL clean and detail every filthy gun you've got! He'll trick it out like mad too because that's all his fat ass is good for. See? He's like a walking present going from squad to squad! Now it's your turn. Our free gift to you!

So be smart and keep the dumb bear off the battle lines where his carrier-sized ass can't get in your way. Order him to do whatever you want. He'll do it. Rank doesn't matter. He'll take shit from anybody in the squad. When he bothers you, tell him to shut up. Oh. And give him all of your shit details and gopher runs. He likes that.

How this giant retard got through our forever-glitched personnel system is anybody's guess. Marine luck, right? "Do the most with the least." So be smart and take advantage of Fattie here every way you can. When you get tired of him, run straight to your commander. Tell him you caught him dicking with your UEEF-regulation military-issued guns AGAIN after you ordered him twice not to touch them. Now you feel he's a liability who is likely to kill off your whole squad. (That last part always gets the brass's attention.) Then WHOOSH! Away this loser goes out of your life and on to become somebody else's problem! It works like magic! See? Easy, right?

We can't take credit for the whole idea. Some team way waaay before us started it all and it works like a charm. Believe me. You'll thank us!

And don't worry. He's too much of a pussy to tell anybody. Oh. So we prefer Jack Daniels or Jim Beam. Send the booze to the armory on the battle frigate Garfish, Schwarzkopf. We'll take care of the rest.

Signed,
The last poor guy that got this sorry good-for-nothing loser.

P.S. When you're done with him, don't forget to forward this letter to the poor guy after you. Why not keep a good thing going, right?

The C'osmo that stands before you now looks hollow and hopeless, devoid of any of the warmth and joy and light you saw briefly with the new Cyclones. He waits like a robot - silent, passionless, his eyes on the floor like a bear without a future of any kind. Instead, he seems to be expecting something. Perhaps a lot of somethings. For a very long time.

From all of you - his new and latest squad.

His dulling brown eyes briefly look to your weapons. "What are your orders, ma'am?" his voice now a nerdy-sounding monotone.

Pyrrah first looks at Commander O'day and says to him, "Sir, just point me and my team at the target and we'll take care of the rest. Strike Marines! Dragon Slayers! Ooorah!" she offers up a grin to her new commanding officer. "I have no questions at this time, sir. I look forward to getting to know you and this ship better. Thank you, sir"

Once the commander has left, Pyrrah turns her attention to the Karbarran and is surprised to see the "I am stupid" badge come out. Surprise turns to concern as he offers up the sealed envelope. What is this? Why does this being seem so despondent?

Slowly she reads, taking in every word of this letter. Finally done, she looks up at C'osmo with an unreadable expression. "Lieutenant? What is this?"

Purr Purr

Onni went stock still watching the animated Karbarrian's manner change so drastically and then pull out the letter, ribbon, and pin, hand the letter to the Lieutenant and place the demeaning pin and ribbon on themselves.

Onni went to say something but stopped himself to allow his commanding officer to address this issue.

Onni was truly puzzled at this behavior, all the Karbarrians he had met were smart proud folk and many were as good with technology if not better than Onni was, and they all seemed very able team members. Who would want to introduce such internal dissention on their own side? He had seen and had been told of human prejudice, and had noticed some cases of suspicion between the humans and the Zendradi, and maybe a bit of fear towards those that were very different than the humans, even towards himself, but they were all here fighting for the same cause. Minmei and others had told him that her music had played a part in unifying the UEEF, and that same music helped Onni deal with his partial disconnection from the Hin. Onni saw music as a human created Hin in a way.

This discomfort had Onni unconsciously reaching out and feeling his partial connection to the Hin, looking for comfort amongst the others, he could feel they were there but it was as it had been since he left Garuda...distant (which is a foreign concept in the Hin), not fully connected, like shadows watching and unable to fully connect. Onni's hand almost reached up to the valve injection button on his wrist computer that enabled his atmosphere pack to inject the Garudan atmosphere into his mixture in order to fully connect to the Hin, but he stayed himself as he wanted to clearly stay in the moment and find out what was going on.

Onni thought to himself. Maybe he needs to hear Minmei's music and that will help him? Or maybe not? They were not born with a connection to the Hin. I really am unfamiliar with everyone even though everyone seems to treat me well. I will wait and see what the Lieutenant finds out.

Once the commander has left, Pyrrah turns her attention to the Karbarran and is surprised to see the "I am stupid" badge come out. Surprise turns to concern as he offers up the sealed envelope. What is this? Why does this being seem so despondent?

Slowly she reads, taking in every word of this letter. Finally done, she looks up at C'osmo with an unreadable expression. "Lieutenant? What is this?"
Psychie Psychie Eonivar Eonivar

"Juuust terrific," thinks C'osmo dismally. Sarcasm creeps into his brain like a poisonous slime. "I bet she's thinking, 'Let's make the weak-minded bear tell everyone in the entire mecha hangar about his shame! After that, we can make him read this letter out loud so all can hear!' Because no squad has ever made him do that before! Oooh! Better yet! Let's put him on the PA system so he can tell the entirety of the Normandy how lousy he is! Oh, boy! What fun for everyone! Can I go back to bed and stay there for the rest of my life now?"

C'osmo sighs, glancing up only once to look at 2ndLt Pyrrah's face without looking her in the eyes - he had learned some time ago that other Marines in his many former squads took that as a serious challenge. He didn't even bother glancing toward at the cool-looking Garudan. As greatly as the vulpine's enigmatic race interested him, C'osmo found he just wasn't in the mood for another berating. Not like that mattered any. He felt he would get one any way.

From his attention stance, he droned to 2ndLt Pyrrah. "Instructions for how to make best use of me, ma'am. All of my former squad leaders make certain I come with a letter like that while wearing these ornaments whenever I am pushed onto a new boat, ma'am." Best to hold there, he felt. His time in his beloved and deeply-studied UEEF-taught anthropology reminded him Meltrandi were not known for their patience - especially with the inept, unglorious, honorless, and so forth.

People like him.

Last edited:
Pyrrah looks up at the Bear Man for a long moment, then makes a point to slowly crumple up the note that C'osmo handed her. "First off, you can remove that pin from your uniform and dispose of it. I don't care what you do with it, but if I ever see it again, I will be cross with you. Secondly, this note means nothing to me. I am the CO of this squad, and as such, I will make my own opinions as to the value of the members of this team."

She continues with, "I know from the reports that I've read that your home world has been occupied by the Invid. I don't know your personal story yet, but I do know that somehow, you were able to get off world, survive in the void of space for who knows how long before the UEEF fleet found you, and go through Marine training well enough to earn your rank. Now, you have two choices ahead of you, and mark my words, this is a very important choice. You can either be the loser that this . . . abomination . . . of a letter tells me you are and just give up, doing the bare minimum, and never strive to be better than you are now. Or, you can prove to me and yourself that you are a god-damned Marine and start acting like it. Show me you are worth the sacrifices that you have made to be here today. Be a part of a team that needs you at one hundred percent. Look at yourself in the mirror and be proud of who you are and what you have accomplished!"

Pyrrah looks around at the tools neatly arranged around the Silverback and spots what she is looking for: a blowtorch. She walks over to the torch, raises it up and kicks it on, then turns the flame onto the crumpled up note and plays the flames across the paper until it is completely consumed into ash. "I saw no note, no reason to think you are anything less than an outstanding Marine officer ready to put his life on the line along side of the rest of the squad and carry your own weight. Lt. C'osmo, you have a clean slate. Make of this opportunity what you will. Now, I will consider this conversation over unless you make me have a reason to relive it."

She raises her voice to speak to the whole squad. "Listen up! We have work to do here. Lets get our mecha prepped and ready for action. We won't know when they will be needed until the alarm sounds, and while I know that most of us are not vehicle and mecha mechanics, we can do what we can to get our gear ready to drop. Lets execute, people!"

Onni listened carefully to Lieutenant Pyrrah's impressive speech and pieced together together what the contents of the letter said.

Onni still could not believe that someone on the same side in the same fighting force would ostracize one of there own. He trusted the word of his Commanding Officer, and had even more faith in her after this speech. Onni felt that Pyrrah had dealt with the situation very well.

After her order for mecha prep, he scrambled over to C'osmo. "Lieutenant C'osmo...I am Lieutenant Onni of Garuda. Welcome to the Dragon Slayers. Dragons from what I have been told are human mythical creatures that were very large and breathed fire, and it was very rare in their legends to slay such beings, thus Dragon Slayers being very powerful. Humans seem to have lots of stories of mythical creatures but I digress. Forgive me, I do not know exactly what you are trained in but all the Karrbarians I know have some technical know how. I would be happy to go through all the maintenance specifications with you for the new cyclones and to get to know you better. Having someone large and strong around will help immensely with maintenance and prep." He paused..trying to get away from the technical and actually try to connect "Do know that you are one of us now and we are very happy to have you. We are all strong in some way, we are united, and our differences are our strength. Do not let anyone else tell you otherwise. You are a Dragon Slayer now."

Gran Canaria (by the utterly fantastic Brothertiger!) - this song is both beautiful and uplifting to my ears. Yours too, I hope!

Pyrrah looks up at the Bear Man for a long moment, then makes a point to slowly crumple up the note that C'osmo handed her. "First off, you can remove that pin from your uniform and dispose of it. I don't care what you do with it, but if I ever see it again, I will be cross with you. Secondly, this note means nothing to me. I am the CO of this squad, and as such, I will make my own opinions as to the value of the members of this team."

She continues with, "I know from the reports that I've read that your home world has been occupied by the Invid. I don't know your personal story yet, but I do know that somehow, you were able to get off world, survive in the void of space for who knows how long before the UEEF fleet found you, and go through Marine training well enough to earn your rank. Now, you have two choices ahead of you, and mark my words, this is a very important choice. You can either be the loser that this . . . abomination . . . of a letter tells me you are and just give up, doing the bare minimum, and never strive to be better than you are now. Or, you can prove to me and yourself that you are a god-damned Marine and start acting like it. Show me you are worth the sacrifices that you have made to be here today. Be a part of a team that needs you at one hundred percent. Look at yourself in the mirror and be proud of who you are and what you have accomplished!"

C'osmo looks down at the Meltrandi officer. It appears he cannot believe his ursine ears. As if testing this theory (to see - once again - if he is being had), he immediately removes the ugly pin from his uniform and calls out. "Live fire test being conducted in the mecha bay! Everything is under control!" This way, everyone within hearing distance understands that what happens next is completely by design and what follows are not accidental discharges.

"Norwood?"

"Yes!" chimes the faithful droid. A little hatch opens under her "chin" and a small but dangerous-looking barrel telescopes out of it.

Without a further word, the nerdy Karbarran, mindful of what is between Norwood, the pin, and beyond, flings the pin up over his head.

ZAP! There is a single flash of bright orange light as the pin is vaporized.

C'osmo grasps the demeaning ribbon on his forehead and tosses that up too.

ZAP! Another flash of light and all that is left is a burning trail of plastic as it touches the hangar floor. Its burning is immediately quenched as C'osmo, his uncertain eyes still on 2ndLt Pyrrah, puts his massive foot on it, stomping it flat. Then, being a responsible bear, he picks up the sorry remains and tosses them into the nearest garbage receptacle.

"This concludes the live fire test. Resume normal activity." He murmurs, expecting immediate and harsh retaliation from his new squad. When there is none, he looks on, baffled as can be. He whispers to the sleek round droid hovering beside him. "Norwood, do you believe this? Am I hearing right?"

Norwood's answer is immediate and confident. "Yes."

Still, C'osmo looks on like a bear cast into an entirely different dimension!

Pyrrah looks around at the tools neatly arranged around the Silverback and spots what she is looking for: a blowtorch. She walks over to the torch, raises it up and kicks it on, then turns the flame onto the crumpled up note and plays the flames across the paper until it is completely consumed into ash. "I saw no note, no reason to think you are anything less than an outstanding Marine officer ready to put his life on the line along side of the rest of the squad and carry your own weight. Lt. C'osmo, you have a clean slate. Make of this opportunity what you will. Now, I will consider this conversation over unless you make me have a reason to relive it."
He raises a paw, points, and stammers. "Uh, hey, lady, er, you're, uh, about to burn the--" Then he watches it go up into flames right before his eyes! His powerful jaw drops open revealing huge well-kept teeth. It hangs there, his big furry finger still pointing at the ashes. "You... you torched the..."

"A... clean... slate?" His maw keeps moving after that but, for once, no sounds are coming out of it.

She raises her voice to speak to the whole squad. "Listen up! We have work to do here. Lets get our mecha prepped and ready for action. We won't know when they will be needed until the alarm sounds, and while I know that most of us are not vehicle and mecha mechanics, we can do what we can to get our gear ready to drop. Lets execute, people!"
Then C'osmo, his chocolate-brown eyes alive and whirling, sees the small, skinny masked vulpine biped below him. Addressing him. No gun in the vulpine's hand, no trash to take out, no disgusting laundry to clean, no orders to send him to the mess to pick up everyone's food. Nothing like that at all. Just words and what appear be a more-than-typical amount of that subtle body language for such a vocal Garudan.

It was one more thing C'osmo thought some Karbarrans and all Garudans he ever heard of shared - an animal-level understanding of body language and the importance of paying close attention to it along with tone, inflection, and every other language-less message of communication this new Garudan was sending his way. As the Garudan speaks, C'osmo doesn't even blink but watches and listens to him with everything he's got.

After her order for mecha prep, he scrambled over to C'osmo. "Lieutenant C'osmo...I am Lieutenant Onni of Garuda. Welcome to the Dragon Slayers. Dragons from what I have been told are human mythical creatures that were very large and breathed fire, and it was very rare in their legends to slay such beings, thus Dragon Slayers being very powerful. Humans seem to have lots of stories of mythical creatures but I digress. Forgive me, I do not know exactly what you are trained in but all the Karrbarians I know have some technical know how. I would be happy to go through all the maintenance specifications with you for the new cyclones and to get to know you better. Having someone large and strong around will help immensely with maintenance and prep." He paused..trying to get away from the technical and actually try to connect "Do know that you are one of us now and we are very happy to have you. We are all strong in some way, we are united, and our differences are our strength. Do not let anyone else tell you otherwise. You are a Dragon Slayer now."
In his mind-numbing confusion, C'osmo manages to reply a few times. "Wuh, wuh, did you say... welcome? To me?"

"Dragons. Huh! I had no idea what they were."

"Technical know-how? No, no! I don't know any engineering! Just mechanical basics. I'm, I'm a, uh, science bear! They... they took me outta the lab and now I know firearms including heavy weapons, munitions, vehicle armoring, I can run an armory, and... stuff."

"You're... happy? Happy to... have... me?" He looks up at Norwood. "Did he just say that?"

"Yes!"

"Am I dreaming?"

"No!"

"Are you certain?!"

"Yes!"

C'osmo looks back to 2ndLt Onni in a daze. "We are all strong? United? Do not let anyone?" He shakes his head, blinking madly and breathing heavily. With each passing moment, he grows more flustered. "I'm a... what? Oh, my stars! I'm a Dragon Slayer now? Are... are you joking with me? I've never known a Garudan or Meltrandi to lie!"

Pleadingly, C'osmo holds his huge open paws out in front of him. "Look, buddy. Look. If you're teasing me, just tell me - I can take it. Just... just show me where your trash is and where you want me to go when you leave me behind."

C'osmo's mind continues to reel as he looks about the Normandy's mecha hangar bay. Too much has happened to him to immediately grasp his new situation. Too long has his spiritual cup been not only cracked, but broken. As much as he wants to, he simply cannot yet believe his own ears.

"By Karbarra, what is going on?!"

Pyrrah looks at C'osmo and gives him a smile. "One thing you'll have to learn about me is that I speak my mind and expect the same straight talk from my team. And the most important thing is, we don't leave anyone behind. We. Are. A. Team. We either succeed together or we all fail together, and failure is not an option. I don't expect perfection, but we can strive for it every day. We are Strike Marines and a kick ass Navy corpsman that had the courage to stand up with the best that the UEEF had to offer and say, 'I won't give anything less than one hundred percent'."

In a softer voice, Pyrrah says, "C'osmo, I can't change the past, but I can show you what being a part of a real team can mean. I just want the best you can give me, and know that when you do screw up, the ass chewing you get will not be personal, but a means to teach you how to be a better Marine. There may come a day when the lives of others will depend on you. Can I count on you to deliver your best? If so, you are welcome with us."

She holds out her hand to the Karbarran, hoping she has managed to get through to him.

Onni looked up at the giant furry being as C'osmo seemed to stammer through things, shocked as if someone would treat him kindly. This troubled Onni, a seed of doubt was planted wondering if this UEEF opportunity was the right choice given this poor beings treatment at the hands of others, although he was always treated kindly and equally, as were his fellow Garudans. Usually no one really understood them to approach them in any other way, but Onni decided to carry on and try to help this poor giant fellow.

"Technical know-how? No, no! I don't know any engineering! Just mechanical basics. I'm, I'm a, uh, science bear! They... they took me outta the lab and now I know firearms including heavy weapons, munitions, vehicle armoring, I can run an armory, and... stuff."
"A scientist?! That is wonderful! I had scientists with me back on Garuda as part of the resistance. Most Marine units do not have anyone that is a scientist with them. It saddens me greatly that the others do not understand your value and have treated you so poorly. Well, it is their loss and our gain that you are assigned to us. You are safe here with us Lieutenant C'osmo. Any and all information and science we can understand about the places we will be going or the Invid or anyone else would be fantastic to know. What are your areas of specialty?"

Onni then watched him have a conversation with a drone. This excited him. Onni's tail swished in interest. "You have a robot assistant!?!?! I had built one too, cycles ago on Garuda, although I had to destroy him as a diversion. When we get free time I would love for you to show me all the things you have done with it and how you built it. Maybe I can suggest some modifications and upgrades."

Onni heard Lieutenant Pyrrah approach and glanced back and up to see her come over.
Pleadingly, C'osmo holds his huge open paws out in front of him. "Look, buddy. Look. If you're teasing me, just tell me - I can take it. Just... just show me where your trash is and where you want me to go when you leave me behind."

C'osmo's mind continues to reel as he looks about the Normandy's mecha hangar bay. Too much has happened to him to immediately grasp his new situation. Too long has his spiritual cup been not only cracked, but broken. As much as he wants to, he simply cannot yet believe his own ears.

"By Karbarra, what is going on?!"

Onni seemed to stop again, and sensed that Pyrrah was going to speak and so he let her.

Pyrrah looks at C'osmo and gives him a smile. "One thing you'll have to learn about me is that I speak my mind and expect the same straight talk from my team. And the most important thing is, we don't leave anyone behind. We. Are. A. Team. We either succeed together or we all fail together, and failure is not an option. I don't expect perfection, but we can strive for it every day. We are Strike Marines and a kick ass Navy corpsman that had the courage to stand up with the best that the UEEF had to offer and say, 'I won't give anything less than one hundred percent'."

In a softer voice, Pyrrah says, "C'osmo, I can't change the past, but I can show you what being a part of a real team can mean. I just want the best you can give me, and know that when you do screw up, the ass chewing you get will not be personal, but a means to teach you how to be a better Marine. There may come a day when the lives of others will depend on you. Can I count on you to deliver your best? If so, you are welcome with us."

She holds out her hand to the Karbarran, hoping she has managed to get through to him.

Onni seemed to wait and see on how C'osmo would react, the Garudan was still very impressed with Pyrrah's handling of this situation. He liked this commanding officer and felt that he could easily follow her into battle.

(Part 1 of 2)

C'osmo, his claws and jaws open, looks back and forth from these two Strike Marine lieutenants. He takes in their every word, their every motion, their every implication, including staring at 2ndLt Pyrrah's offered hand until finally he can stand it no more. His shaking paws clutch the sides of his head, covering his twitching ears. His eyes clench shut. Briefly, he waves frantically at them both.

"Ho-- Hol-- Hold on..." he shouts. "Just-just-just-WAIT! Just WAIT, okay?! You don't have to go anywhere - but just-just please stand there. I... I need a moment!"

C'osmo turns away and stumbles off not far away with dutiful Norwood close beside. Holding his whirling troubled mind, his gaze seems to stare out far beyond the Normandy's hangar bay and into the great vast unknowns carried inside his soul.

"I can't... I can't... do this!" Speaking and gasping quickly, he glances at Norwood and corrects himself. "Norwood, I... can't do this alone. There's too much! I need... Master Lee!"

At the utterance of those two words, another person - a living legend by those who know of him - suddenly enters the scene. Standing sure and ready is a human male, one of the most fit and able of his time. At 5 feet 8 inches tall, 141 pounds (1.7 m/64 kg), he is small by Western-world human standards. His lean, brown-skinned body is lined with hard-earned muscles - a living monument that doubles as proof of his own dedication to his art. The look in his brown eyes displays an energy, a spirit, possessed by very few.

The following quotes are taken from the book, Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee's Wisdom for Daily Living. Edited by John Little, it's a great resource! Every statement by Master Lee is a quote from this book.

Master Lee.jpg
(Image credit: Collectors.com)

Master Lee steps seemingly out of nowhere until you notice a recently-concealed and now active holographic projector which has emerged from inside Norwood's rousing housing. Norwood remains completely silent as Master Lee, strolling calmly, looks up to C'osmo and smiles in wordless greeting. C'osmo, looking confused and utterly lost, doesn't seem to be able to get the frown off of his face. He places his paws alongside his thighs, bows at the waist, and holds it for a moment, a motion Master Lee returns with seriousness. Then their conversation begins.

C'osmo looks sad. "Ma-- ma-- Master Lee... This is... This is one challenge I don't know if I can face, sir!" He points a claw behind him. "That's my latest squad standing over there and... I-- I believe these two! But, master! What if they turn out to be false?" C'osmo looks horrified. "If so, that's it! I-- I've got to hang it up and stop doing this UEEF thing. Maybe I was never cut out to be a Marine? My thoughts are so dark. Please, master, tell me! What I should do?!"

The mysterious human pauses in thought. Then, decided, he looks into C'osmo's eyes and replies, his Cantonese accent strong in his every word. "No matter what, you must let your inner light guide you out of the darkness."

"Sure, but how? I've been burned so many times! Can people just stop hurting me now? It's like, most people, they either use me or ignore me."

Master Lee slowly removes his large, black Kenpo gloves and nods. "No one can hurt you unless you allow him to."

C'osmo sighs. "But doesn't that mean... closing myself up? Not feeling anything anymore? What kind of life is that?"

Master Lee ties his gloves together and keeps them in one hand. The fingers on his other hand then open, like the petals on a flower. "In order to achieve happiness or the right conduct of life, one must acquire knowledge - so he can think, reason, and create. Knowledge creates desire for the beautiful. Therefore anyone that teaches must have the knowledge of his teaching."

"Oh, sir." C'osmo sighs. "If any teacher has gained that kind of knowledge it is you, master. Are you saying... I should trust them? I've tried that in the past with other squads and look where it got me!"

Master Lee smiles and nods again. He steps gracefully toward C'osmo, speaking clearly and with enthusiasm. "Be flexible so you can change with change. Empty yourself! Open up! After all, the usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness."

C'osmo stares unblinking, his mind taking in this new and much-needed perspective. "You're right on about that, master. My cup is full, overfilled with the tainted mud of past injustices. Thanks to you, I don't think my cup is cracked anymore, but whole. But you're right in that
these people are not to blame for that. You're saying I must empty my cup... so that is ready to take in Pyrrah and Onni's tea?" C'osmo straightens. He takes one deep breath, his barrel-chest expanding enormously and releasing in a long gentle whoosh. C'osmo of Karbarra watches Bruce Lee of Earth's calmness until it becomes his own calm, reflecting back like a clear mirror or the moon's image cast from the waters of a still lake.

Enjoying this sensation of pure liberation pouring through his very being, C'osmo can't help now but briefly crack a smile. C'osmo examines the Normandy with new eyes and a refreshed mind on his deepest matter. His words come slowly. "Master, do you... really think I can be successful here?"

Master Lee steps forward and places a comforting hand on C'osmo's huge bicep. Looking up to the bear, the master nods sincerely and speaks as if drawing from the well of his deepest purpose. "Remember, success is a journey, not a destination. Have faith in your ability. You will do just fine."

Master Lee turns and walks away, C'osmo's eyes drop to the floor as he eagerly digests what he has learned. Without warning, Master Lee drops into a fierce-looking fighting stance, ready to do combat! He yells and hologram or not, there is real power in that awesome soulful sound. "AAIYAAAH!"

C'osmo's reply is anything but awesome. "WHAAAO!!" C'osmo's surprised response is instant - without thinking about it, the bear swiftly and naturally slips into a similar but not identical fighting stance - one that better serves his large body and difference of mind. C'osmo looks ready before he realizes what is happening.

Seeing his student's response, Master Lee relaxes and smiles proudly at C'osmo, a student who was born more than a century before Lee walked the Earth. A golden moment of peaceful, pleased silence passes between them.

Finally, Master Lee begins, "Knowing is not enough; we must apply."

"Willing is not enough; we must do," ends C'osmo. C'osmo relaxes - finally and truly relaxes - with both paws together, he bows once again in temporary farewell to his beloved human master, Bruce Lee of Earth.

Master Lee returns the bow, smiles, and gently vanishes. The projector on Norwood's face slips back into its housing and closes over with a hiss.

Bruce Lee's smile.jpg
(Image credit: BruceLee.com)

"It is time for me to do."

C'osmo turns back to the Dragon Slayers. His entire being is calmer now. What was shaky is now sure. The waters in his inner lake are still and at peace. Now, after much earthquaking of the spirit, the big bear appears ready to drink from Pyrrah and Onni's cups.

(OOC: More in a few moments!)

(Part 2 of 2)

C'osmo strolls back to the Dragon Slayers. His stride is easier now, he looks much lighter and more filled with light, and though there remains cautiousness in his expression, what traces there are of darkness are slowly but surely fading. Like most things, it will take time.

C'osmo's's nerdy voice is filled with eagerness and appreciation. "Uh, thanks for waiting, guys. Really! Uhh, I... think I'm ready to answer your questions now."

C'osmo reaches down and firmly shakes Pyrrah's hand. "Thanks for welcoming me! Ma'am, it's because of the both of you that I'm already proud to be a Dragon Slayer!"

He speaks a little slower, a touch of pride in his tone. "As for delivering my best... Ma'am! I will be celebrating my birthday later this year. My 300th birthday. I've been delivering my best for all of my life and I'm not about to stop now! See, I challenge myself. And really? I've been holding back from all of the other squads I've been kicked around in. The Dragon Slayers will be the first to benefit what I can really deliver!"
"A scientist?! That is wonderful! I had scientists with me back on Garuda as part of the resistance. Most Marine units do not have anyone that is a scientist with them. It saddens me greatly that the others do not understand your value and have treated you so poorly. Well, it is their loss and our gain that you are assigned to us. You are safe here with us Lieutenant C'osmo. Any and all information and science we can understand about the places we will be going or the Invid or anyone else would be fantastic to know. What are your areas of specialty?"
"Uh! Heh heh!" C'osmo cannot help but nervously crack a big nerdy grin as he comes to realize he has a true fan of science before him!

"My scientific areas? Well, botany, anthropology, and archaeology, or as I like to call them, 'plants, people, and the past!' My sub-studies include xenobiology and xenological medicine, paramedic-level medical care and zoology with a good heaping of science-based research on the Invid. See, I like to mix all of what I have learned together to form conclusions that might help us in our war against those terrible monsters. Besides, doing so gives me something to ruminate.

"Do you mind if I offer up two examples? Here. Mix Invid research with botany - a simple combination of two sciences, right? What do you come away with? New perspectives into the Flower of Life that neither science comes into on its own! Now! Bear with me here. Mix together xenobiology and xenological medicine with paramedic patient care and anthropology and you can form theories like mine."

C'osmo folds his paws as his marvelous brain shifts up a few gears. "Here's one you might like. 'Many Garudans probably respond far better to medical stimuli that include clearly recognizable elements from their homeworld's unique atmosphere.' "By elements, I refer to familiar scents and sights and things maybe Garudans can touch. I imagine it might bring some Garudans a wee bit closer to the Hin, you might say. At least in theory.

C'osmo blinks rapidly as his mind moves. "Now, imagine if you had a special 'sleep-suit' - a real custom-made chemically-altered CVR-3-style armor/station here on the Normandy complete with a deeper, more effective rebreather for the gases you require to enter the Hin state. Replace the standard-issue military helmet with a 3-D full-crystal-audio virtual reality headset. Add programs to simulate the planet Garuda. Put touch sensors all over the armor's insides so you sensitive Garudans could feel things that felt true and so forth and maybe, just maybe, it would the next best thing to being on Garuda, right? Imagine if, for some important reason, you or another Garudan needed to be in the Hin. For some kinda meditation or whatever you do in there? Sure, maybe you can't get to Garuda from the Normandy right now, but maybe a well-guarded 'Hin-station' to rest in might be the next best thing?

"I developed this theory during my deep dive into anthropology. I observed how certain humans have their spirits lifted when they smelled familiar Earth-flower scents like roses or jasmin. They became calmer and more positive. Meanwhile, some Praxians get these large smiles when they recognize the scent of blood belonging to familiar enemies. The way I see it, every little bit of home or other solid foundation helps when you're floating out here in empty space, right?"

C'osmo points curiously at Onni's mask. "Which reminds me - your rebreather apparatus there - you have a back-up in case something happens to that one, right? Well, I'll visit Supply and start carrying a spare mask in my kit in case you ever need it. It'll be right here. You ever need it, even just to toy with or tweak it, you don't need to ask me; just grab it." He displays his paramedic kit (one of many kits he carries; an additional benefit to being as huge as he is) so Onni knows exactly where to find it.

"Huh. Makes me wonder if this'll fit into Norwood if ever the mask has to be transported to you? There's something else to think more deeply about!"

Onni then watched him have a conversation with a drone. This excited him. Onni's tail swished in interest. "You have a robot assistant!?!?! I had built one too, cycles ago on Garuda, although I had to destroy him as a diversion. When we get free time I would love for you to show me all the things you have done with it and how you built it. Maybe I can suggest some modifications and upgrades."
"Uh, ah, whoa there! Just about everybody in the UEEF thinks because I'm Karbarran that I made Norwood here, but I didn't!"

At the sound of its name, Norwood floats closer on its Praxian engine. "I can only provide her armor, arms, and my computer programs - you know, her sophisticated computer guts and some of the tools she uses. I'm no engineer nor do I have any kind background in true robotics." He smiles at Norwood for one long moment and shyly adds, "uh, but I do kinda dabble in artificial intelligence when I'm bored. That's where all of my holograms come from.

"So yeah! I am totally open your recommendations, Onni! You too, Pyrrah!" C'osmo gulps and glances about. "I just have little way of turning them into reality is all."

Onni seemed to wait and see on how C'osmo would react, the Garudan was still very impressed with Pyrrah's handling of this situation. He liked this commanding officer and felt that he could easily follow her into battle.
C'osmo smiles and shyly mutters to Onni. "Uhh, maybe we'd better get to readying the new Cyclones, huh? Time to start putting in that 100%, right?" If either Pyrrah or Onni starts in that direction, C'osmo eagerly follows.

Inwardly, C'osmo cannot help but swear by the star that brings life to his homeworld, Karbarra. "By the light of Yirrbisst! Master Lee was right again!" he thinks as the surprises of this past meeting continue to boggle his mind and make his heart swell. "My squad... likes me! Now... I'm a Dragon Slayer! Boooy, if these dragon-things Onni was talking about turn out to be real, they are SO TOTALLY DEAD!"

If C'osmo's soul were a music player, this fun and lighthearted tune with its fantastic lyrics is what it would be playing right now!

"Come along catch a heffalump, sit with me on a muddy clump, we’ll sing a song of days gone by." - Cosmo Sheldrake
"Cosmo Sheldrake - Come Along"

Pyrrah watches the rather odd performance before her of the Karbarran asking some holographic person questions. The Meltrandi looks on with a puzzled expression, wondering if this is just a hint of what is to come from C'osmo, and what this will mean for the squad.
C'osmo reaches down and firmly shakes Pyrrah's hand. "Thanks for welcoming me! Ma'am, it's because of the both of you that I'm already proud to be a Dragon Slayer!"

He speaks a little slower, a touch of pride in his tone. "As for delivering my best... Ma'am! I will be celebrating my birthday later this year. My 300th birthday. I've been delivering my best for all of my life and I'm not about to stop now! See, I challenge myself. And really? I've been holding back from all of the other squads I've been kicked around in. The Dragon Slayers will be the first to benefit what I can really deliver!"
C'osmo's big hand reaches out and engulfs her own in what is thankfully not a bone-crushing grip, making Pyrrah smile wide as she shakes his hand. "I look forward to seeing what you are capable of. We are all new to this team, and I want all of us to spend time together in training, so we can get a good sense of teamwork going on between us all."

When C'osmo goes into detail with the science stuff, Pyrrah can feel her eyes star to glaze over. She is no dummy, but C'osmo seems to be operating on a whole level beyond her own education. What does finally come clear to her is the need to look after Onni's life support needs with a spare re breather mask. "Good idea. That is the kind of forward thinking that I am looking for from all of you. Now, we seem to have some time while the Normandy is in dry-dock, so lets get our ride armor dialed in so that when we undock once more, we are set."

Onni watches this very bizarre display of...self help? The concept of talking to a hologram to a Garudan was beyond his comprehension mainly because when fully connected to the Hin, written words and complex displays from technology lose their meaning. Onni had to lessen his atomosphere mixture to see the hologram better and even then it was hard to see for the Garudan. Onni squinted under his mask while this 'show' played out.

After C'osmo's "session" with the ghostly...essence-less (at least to Onni) image of 'Mister Lee' he came back over, talked to Lieutenant Pyrrah much relieved and happy to be a part of their unit. Onni seemed to sigh in relief that the Karbarrian came around from this horrible mistreatment. He knew such things would linger on the big Karbarrian's essence and would have to be managed like any emotional or mental burdan's that such traumas create but this was a good first step. Onni had considered connecting fully to the hin to see what it would look like on C'osmo's aura, but given that there was a lot of technical work to be done, Onni decided not to.

Onni then listened to C'osmo's idea for using virutal reality to make their hin state "better" with virtual reality.

C'osmo folds his paws as his marvelous brain shifts up a few gears. "Here's one you might like. 'Many Garudans probably respond far better to medical stimuli that include clearly recognizable elements from their homeworld's unique atmosphere.' "By elements, I refer to familiar scents and sights and things maybe Garudans can touch. I imagine it might bring some Garudans a wee bit closer to the Hin, you might say. At least in theory.

C'osmo blinks rapidly as his mind moves. "Now, imagine if you had a special 'sleep-suit' - a real custom-made chemically-altered CVR-3-style armor/station here on the Normandy complete with a deeper, more effective rebreather for the gases you require to enter the Hin state. Replace the standard-issue military helmet with a 3-D full-crystal-audio virtual reality headset. Add programs to simulate the planet Garuda. Put touch sensors all over the armor's insides so you sensitive Garudans could feel things that felt true and so forth and maybe, just maybe, it would the next best thing to being on Garuda, right? Imagine if, for some important reason, you or another Garudan needed to be in the Hin. For some kinda meditation or whatever you do in there? Sure, maybe you can't get to Garuda from the Normandy right now, but maybe a well-guarded 'Hin-station' to rest in might be the next best thing?

"I developed this theory during my deep dive into anthropology. I observed how certain humans have their spirits lifted when they smelled familiar Earth-flower scents like roses or jasmin. They became calmer and more positive. Meanwhile, some Praxians get these large smiles when they recognize the scent of blood belonging to familiar enemies. The way I see it, every little bit of home or other solid foundation helps when you're floating out here in empty space, right?"

He did not want to bring the enthusiastic Karbarrian scientist down, but he had to respond to this, and he hoped that C'osmo would be interested in this anyway.

"Lieutenant, your concept of using virutal reality to make our hin state better is interesting but would never work. You see...how should I put this? The Hin is the connection of all living essences, that is the simplest description that does not even touch the surface on what it truly is, particularly for us. The key here is 'living'. The reason technology never works well for my people is that in a full Hin state, we cannot interact with complex technology, we have no written words. When we are fully in the Hin, it is a distance-less 'inner soul' connection. While we have found that we are able to use protoculture to operate technology while fully connected to the Hin, since Protoculture is a living link between our essence and technology, manually interacting with technology without Protoculture, even reading text or sensors on a readout is impossible. Virtual reality is nearly impossible to see, even with our partial connection to the Hin as we are here offworld. I had to lessen my mixture to see your 'Mister Lee' hologram better."

Onni looks up at Pyrrah. "I apologize Sir, I know this seems very...esoteric, and we do have work to do, but I am concerned that this concept may occupy Lieutenant C'osmo's mind and lead him to incorrect conclusions and actions. Also this helps you and he understand my perspective on things."

Onni then addressed the concern about their breathing masks. "As for extra breathing masks. We all carry one extra usually." He reaches into his tool satchel and holds up an extra mask. "I have built in mixture tanks and breathers in my CVR-3 and one both of my modified Cyclone's. I know the few of my brothers and sisters that fly veritechs also have extra breathers on their mecha and personal suits. Do know that we can exist for a little bit of time without our masks."

He paused debating if he should talk about this now or later...but figured he had their attention and this would be the best time. He hoped they would understand. "You see, our physical bodies can exist and live without Garuda atmosphere without issue. The Garuda atmosphere is required for our essences to remain connected to the Hin. Without it...our essence...slowly fades away..into nothing, leaving nothing left but a physical shell that forgets how to breath. All Garudans are all a part of the same...soul...connected together through the Hin. Sever that connection...we lose ourselves...and our..souls fade to nothing. Those of us who left the homeworld are taking our chances by only being partially connected to the Hin most of the time so we may fight and eventually remove the invid from our homeworld. The reason I am so good with technology is that the Invid captured me and disconnected me from the Hin for a few minutes and then reconnected me, over and over and over again, some of my kind feel that I was damaged permanently as my connection to the Hin was not the same afterwards but being able to manage with a partial connection made me more aware of technology than the rest of my people. If disconnected it is a force of will to try and keep our essence together and to stay in the moment...it becomes harder and harder to maintain our...identity and souls form...as the minutes pass. I was told I lasted fifteen minutes disconnected on the last time before I was rescued...it took me many cycles to become who I am now as I was, nearly a clean slate, I had to relearn my identity and become a unique Garudan again."

Onni sighed...that trauma seemed to resurface again after speaking of it...that feeling of not knowing who you are or remembering anything, not remembering his parents or his siblings...the overload of information upon reconnecting to the Hin after being disconnected. He almost reached up again to increase the mixture to connect and changed his mind. The Garudan seemed to wilt some. "I apologize for my...divergence. It is time to work now. I will prep these cyclones for action should we come upon an emergency. I would be happy to talk more of this and other things at a later time to either of you" He gave a sharp salute to Lieutenant Pyrrah and turned to go and work on the cyclones.

Onni looks up at Pyrrah. "I apologize Sir, I know this seems very...esoteric, and we do have work to do, but I am concerned that this concept may occupy Lieutenant C'osmo's mind and lead him to incorrect conclusions and actions. Also this helps you and he understand my perspective on things."
C'osmo slows his walk and looks down with great interest. "I can work and think like this at the same time! You want to correct my thinking? I couldn't be more open to the idea! Yessiree!"

Virtual reality is nearly impossible to see, even with our partial connection to the Hin as we are here offworld. I had to lessen my mixture to see your 'Mister Lee' hologram better."
"Oh, that's Master Lee if you'll forgive the correction. He's... one of many special 'holo-people' in my life."

C'osmo's eyes widen and grins a bit. He is in no way rebuffed or disheartened by learning his theory would never work. Instead, the more unknowns that appear, the more excited he seems to become. "Really? So... short of going to Garuda, there really is no 'artificial bridge' one might make to help you enter the Hin? Okay! This makes me want to free Garuda from the Invid even more than before!"

Onni then addressed the concern about their breathing masks. "As for extra breathing masks. We all carry one extra usually." He reaches into his tool satchel and holds up an extra mask. "I have built in mixture tanks and breathers in my CVR-3 and one both of my modified Cyclone's. I know the few of my brothers and sisters that fly veritechs also have extra breathers on their mecha and personal suits. Do know that we can exist for a little bit of time without our masks."
C'osmo bounces happily, his big bear belly jiggling. "Yeah, yeah! I knew that! The UEEF med-techs covered that in xenobiology. They said 'it is kind of like a human stuck underwater; they have some time but none to waste.' That's not something I want to get wrong, hence my desire to carry a spare mask for you or any other Garudan we might encounter."

The Garuda atmosphere is required for our essences to remain connected to the Hin. Without it...our essence...slowly fades away..into nothing, leaving nothing left but a physical shell that forgets how to breath. All Garudans are all a part of the same...soul...connected together through the Hin. Sever that connection...we lose ourselves...and our..souls fade to nothing.
The reason I am so good with technology is that the Invid captured me and disconnected me from the Hin for a few minutes and then reconnected me, over and over and over again,
I was told I lasted fifteen minutes disconnected on the last time before I was rescued...it took me many cycles to become who I am now as I was, nearly a clean slate, I had to relearn my identity and become a unique Garudan again."
"Wooooww..." C'osmo spaces out for a moment as he tries to imagine this. "It's one thing to learn this in class; quite another to have a Garudan say it all so... personally. I can't thank you enough for your perspective, Onni!"

The Garudan seemed to wilt some. "I apologize for my...divergence. It is time to work now. I will prep these cyclones for action should we come upon an emergency. I would be happy to talk more of this and other things at a later time to either of you" He gave a sharp salute to Lieutenant Pyrrah and turned to go and work on the cyclones.
"No-no--nooo, Onni! Don't you dare feel even a teensy bit sorry here. You've given me new knowledge and perspective - what more could a science-bear ask for? Plus... you know how long it's been since I've learned something like this? C'mon," he waves, "let's get to work!"

With that, C'osmo - at home with the bikes though there is only so far he can go with them - begins prepping them with what he knows best - their weapon systems. Before he gets his paws dirty (and it's always fun to get your paws dirty - take it from a bear!), C'osmo reaches into one kit in particular and pulls from it one of several labeled phials. Inside each phial is precisely 150 ml of golden liquid, rich and unmistakably beautiful (at least to a bear).

"Here
, you guys. Take this!" With a combination of nervousness and surety, he hands one vial to Pyrrah and another to Onni. "This? This is something the Earthers call 'honey'! Maybe you've had it before? Well, you'll never have fresher honey than mine! Take about a tablespoon or so whenever you need a sweet little healthy pick-me-up! My little way of saying 'thanks!' for all you're doing for me. I'd gotten to the point I didn't think the day would come where I'd be welcome in any squad!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back