• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Trouble on gem planet - Join the fight against the Blight [OPEN]

NeonArmageddon

gae for women
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Introduction

Welcome to planet Crystiara, home to the race of the Crystari, humanoids with bodies made out of gems. Most of the Crystari are just regular basic Quartzes, but some of them have a strong connection to a force coming from the core of the planet that grants them supernatural powers like telekinesis, flying, control over the elements, and so on. Those are known as the Guardian Gems, protectors of peace and order in the world of these gem-folk. For ages, their greatest adversaries have been petty thieves, gangs, the occasional rogue Guardian... but soon, a new threat will arise, and the Guardians will have to face it, for the good of the whole planet.
The Crystari

At first glance, it might be hard to tell a Crystari apart from a human - visually they're just about the same. However, the devil is in the details. For example, their hair and eyes tend to have more of a shimmer to them. Their skin is smoother but also firmer. Inside, they don't have much in the way of organs - they don't really need to eat, drink, or breathe, only sleep. They also don't have any blood inside, only solid crystal. When they're wounded, their body cracks and crumbles instead of being sliced and bruised. The main quirk of their anatomy is that the only important organ they have is the Core, located where a human's heart would be. As long as that stays intact, the Crystari is fine - their body, the protective shell, will regenerate while the Core sleeps. Even losing a limb or two is easily recoverable, though it would take weeks without assistance.
Another curiosity of the Crystari is how they don't really have biological sex. Although romance is not an alien concept to them, they don't actually reproduce between each other, new Crystari are just spawned as Cores from the core of the planet... although that rarely happens, since none of them really physically age or die of old age... and the core of the planet almost seems like a sentient being, knowing not to overpopulate the world. Because there's no sex, the concept of gender also doesn't really function, although the Crystari can choose their appearance, to look as masculine, feminine, or androgynous, as they want.
One of the Crystari

Planet Crystiara

As might be expected from the name of the place, Crystiara is a planet where crystals and gems play a significant role, not only as the main inhabitants. They also dot the landscape of the place, not to mention the Crystari build houses out of them. Ironically, even though to us, they'd be precious gems, to the inhabitants of Crystiara they are like wood or stone, just another common resource they have easily available everywhere. The crystals are not the only thing on the planet, though, of course. The world is actually not that dissimilar to our own, with lush forests full of trees, snowy peaks, hot deserts, all that you could expect from a planet where life would thrive. Actually, save for the absence of humans, the ecosystem is pretty much 1:1 the one we know. Luckily for the local fauna, the Crystari tend not to interfere with it, having little need to hunt animals, not needing food to survive.
The Crystari have settlements - from big cities to small villages - all over Crystiara, in all of its environments. Some of the most notable ones are the hub town of Crest, the forever covered in white city of Snowpoint, Woodscrown hidden among the trees, evergreen city of Amist, the port town of Seagate, the desert town of Vayskr, and of course the dazzling capital, Illumina, where the Guardians have their main headquarters.
Looming Danger

The Crystari actually aren't the first species to live on Crystiara. Before them, there was another race, the Ethians. Little is known about them - what they looked like, what their culture was like, what customs they had. The only remnants of their civilization are a few crumbling ruins, which will be lost to time soon enough. However, one thing that was very clearly recorded, was the reason for the Ethians' extinction - The Blight. It came out of nowhere, a strange unknown... thing. It's hard to tell if it was some creature, some virus, or something else entirely, but it swept through the populations of Ethians, completely wiping them out. The existence of the Blight is something only the Guardians are aware of, and not even all of them. Being prepared for the potential return of the Blight, is one of the goals of the Guardians.
As you might expect, that return soon won't be just a potential, but a sad and horrifying reality. But, that is what you're here for... remember your training, Guardian. You'll need it.

Final Notes

To briefly summarize what you just read: in this RP, you will take on the role of a Guardian Crystal, having to deal with the civilization-threatening crisis that is the Blight. The idea is for the characters to each be one of gems existing in real life, and the possibilities are near limitless - ruby, sapphire, emerald, amethyst, diamond, obsidian, topaz, opal, lapis lazuli, all sorts of quartz (it's only the regular, basic quartz that doesn't have powers, rainbow quartz or rose quartz can still be characters), agate, citrine, etc... you have plenty to choose from. The setting is for a book I'm planning to write, and this RP is admittedly a bit of a test run of it, and an attempt to see if it's interesting, and also a bit of an opportunity to flesh it out a little more. Also, any similarities to Steven Universe and/or Houseki no Kuni are absolutely not coincidental, I just really like the concept of gem people a lot.

OOC Discord link: [Will be made once there's some interest]
Character Sheets: [Will be made once there's some interest]
In-Character: [Will be made if the RP takes off]

If it's not too much to ask,I figure I might want to ask some questions that may help interested participants get into this setting and conceptualize their characters.

1) What does a typical Crystari "want"? Is their society orderly enough that there is a fixed trajectory for their life? Like,a "typical" human would want to go to school,get a job,start a family,and eventually retire. Does Crystari life possess an outline that most newborns can expect to follow?

2) How harmonious is Crystari society? You've described some locations,but for example,are there different "countries" or "empires" that may be in conflict with others? Are there "criminals" and specific individuals tasked to address them? Is there,perhaps,something akin to Earth religions or conceptions of an afterlife?

3) Is Crystari society interstellar or close to it? Do they at least look at the celestial bodies around Crystiara and aspire to them (with telescopes,and maybe their version of rockets/satellites)? Or are their sights firmly set on their own planet for now?

If it's not too much to ask,I figure I might want to ask some questions that may help interested participants get into this setting and conceptualize their characters.

1) What does a typical Crystari "want"? Is their society orderly enough that there is a fixed trajectory for their life? Like,a "typical" human would want to go to school,get a job,start a family,and eventually retire. Does Crystari life possess an outline that most newborns can expect to follow?

2) How harmonious is Crystari society? You've described some locations,but for example,are there different "countries" or "empires" that may be in conflict with others? Are there "criminals" and specific individuals tasked to address them? Is there,perhaps,something akin to Earth religions or conceptions of an afterlife?

3) Is Crystari society interstellar or close to it? Do they at least look at the celestial bodies around Crystiara and aspire to them (with telescopes,and maybe their version of rockets/satellites)? Or are their sights firmly set on their own planet for now?

Not at all, fleshing out the world is one of my stated goals, so questions like that are welcome!

As for the answers...

1) It would be similar for the Crystari as it is for humans - they'd go to school, and then find employment, yes. Family is an interesting matter, considering how the race reproduces, it doesn't function exactly as it does in our society, but when new Crystari spawn from the core, they are usually taken in by a couple or by a single adult, and raised as if they were their child. Obviously, if you have a connection to the core's power, you're strongly encouraged to join the Guardians, but it's not exactly mandatory. Heck, some actively hate the idea and use their powers for their selfish goals.

2) I imagined it as pretty harmonious, one global nation. Yep, there are criminals, as in any society, and part of the Guardians' job is to take care of them, though I'd say there's also a separate police force made up of mostly regular, power-less Crystari that deals with the more mundane crime, the Guardians would be the 'big guns' to send in when the situation is too tough to handle for the regular police. As for religion, there are mostly individual beliefs, the closest thing to an actual religion is treating the planet's core, the place everyone was born from, as a sort of deity.

3) I'd say they're a little further ahead in that department than Earth is - still not able to travel to other galaxies, but they've at least sent people to other planets in their own system. I also think they would be pretty interested in seeing what's further out in space. Not really out of need for resources, like we are, mostly just curiosity as a species.

As a fan of gem people as well this looks interesting! For gem abilities do they focus on one specific power or do some gems have mulitple abilities? Also do you have in mind a general power level for them?

As a fan of gem people as well this looks interesting! For gem abilities do they focus on one specific power or do some gems have mulitple abilities? Also do you have in mind a general power level for them?

I'm thinking probably one character should focus around one specific ability, and maybe have some smaller ones that fit along with it, like if someone has, say, telekinesis, they might also have the ability to speak to others telepathically, for example. As for power levels, I'd say to keep things reasonable, I don't think any of the characters should be able to level a city with their powers alone, or take out dozens of enemies with one blow. Superhuman level, but not like... demigod level xD

I LOVE this idea, and would love to throw my hat in.
A few questions though, as I have a character idea and I want to see if it’s feasible.

So you mentioned that Crystari don’t age, and are born of the Core. Does that mean that they come out of the Core fully grown? Or do they age to a certain point?
You also said that the Guardians are all over the planet. So do they have some sort of headquarters where they all meet? Or do they each have one in their own region and do some sort of video call to communicate?
Also a non-plot question, is Discord required?

I'll definitely keep an eye out for this roleplay! Quite an interesting idea and curious to see how much interest it gets followed by all the questions and answers I've read from other people.

I LOVE this idea, and would love to throw my hat in.
A few questions though, as I have a character idea and I want to see if it’s feasible.

So you mentioned that Crystari don’t age, and are born of the Core. Does that mean that they come out of the Core fully grown? Or do they age to a certain point?
You also said that the Guardians are all over the planet. So do they have some sort of headquarters where they all meet? Or do they each have one in their own region and do some sort of video call to communicate?
Also a non-plot question, is Discord required?

Yeah, physically they come out fully grown, though they *can* choose how they look, so there's nothing stopping a freshly spawned Crystari from choosing to look their age. Mentally, they do have some growing up to do, though.

Yep, the main headquarters is in the capital, but they have bases set up in every major city, and they all report back to the main HQ.

Well, if not everyone interested has Discord, I'll make an OOC thread here on RPN, but it would be pretty convenient for organization, I think.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for this roleplay! Quite an interesting idea and curious to see how much interest it gets followed by all the questions and answers I've read from other people.

Glad to hear it! ^^ I'm hoping for a few more people, then hopefully we can get things rolling.

Yeah, physically they come out fully grown, though they *can* choose how they look, so there's nothing stopping a freshly spawned Crystari from choosing to look their age. Mentally, they do have some growing up to do, though.

Yep, the main headquarters is in the capital, but they have bases set up in every major city, and they all report back to the main HQ.

Well, if not everyone interested has Discord, I'll make an OOC thread here on RPN, but it would be pretty convenient for organization, I think.
Yay! So my idea was to play a super old Cystari that got “stuck” looking really young.

And I don’t have a Discord and won’t be able to get it; I’m so sorry! I have no problem not having that discord if you do choose to make it though.

Yay! So my idea was to play a super old Cystari that got “stuck” looking really young.

And I don’t have a Discord and won’t be able to get it; I’m so sorry! I have no problem not having that discord if you do choose to make it though.

Oh, that would be easily doable, if you really want them "stuck", you could just say their Core got damaged and they lost the ability to change their appearance, or something along those lines.

As for the Discord, we'll see about the other potential players, how they feel about there being a server, especially if not everyone would be there.

Another bump... hoping someone might join in over the weekend, if not, then idk, either we'll just start with this small group, or I'll try another RP idea, not sure yet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back