• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

TRIBUNAL [FULL, CLOSED]

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
This RP will be for 5 players, a group of priests to each of the five major gods of the city.
The game uses a dice-pool system that's easy to use but has mechanical depth if you want to engage with it.
No prior experience with this game or dice games required. All skill levels welcome.
One post a week is ideal, once a month is acceptable.
No set post length - just post what you feel is necessary to move things along.
Full rules and setting at this link with Chapter 9 being most relevant for this part of the setting.

PITCH
A murderer stalks the streets of the Coral City, striking at your revered sisters and causing terror among the populace. The wardens of the Soil Caste cannot catch him, the seers of Night's Temple cannot see him - this one requires extreme measures. The Council has selected you five, one from each of the High Temples, to investigate and put an end to the killing. However you see fit.

SETTING

Lama is a land of dense jungles and ominous mountains, where the Spirits (which should not be mistaken for ghosts) walk freely in the world of flesh. By consequence, the people have learned to live in tune with these strange and powerful beings, or dominate them, or find a middle ground. The first compromise is easiest, but has long-reaching effects; the Spirits prefer to deal with women, and so most societies in Lama are matriarchal.

Radiant Pearl, the Coral City, sits on Lama’s northwestern shore, on a crescent bay. It is the only home you have ever known. Its stilted walkways, docks, and warehouses creep over the water of the bay. The fields of tobacco, sugar, and hops spread inland until they reach the wall that protects you from the dangers of the jungle, against which screaming barbarians throw themselves over an ancient grudge. The winding streets are lined with colourful stalls and squat buildings of clay, above which rise the coral palaces of the high council. And everywhere, there are shrines. Temples that rise above the water, candle-lit alcoves under the boardwalk, standing stones overgrown with vines. Spirits seethe under the skin of the city and fly down its streets, from glittering tiny Truth Spirits bound to shopkeeper’s charms to slow and gentle Earth Spirits carrying children on their broad backs. Ten hundred thousand gods are worshipped every day, and many answer the prayers of the faithful.

The city is arranged according to wisdom handed down by the gods themselves; everything in its appointed place, including people. The rulers of the city are the high council of Spinners, the Priests of Fate. Beneath them are the Coral Caste, the artists and lorekeepers, explorers and teachers. Alongside them are the Wind Caste, the hunters and soldiers, morticians and butchers. Beneath these are the Sea Caste, the sailors, fishers and midwives, healers and farmers. Alongside them are the Soil Caste, the guards, builders, and craftswomen. Beneath all are the Outcaste, those whose ancestry marks them as spiritually impure and thus unfit for proper society, yet not so low as to be culled. The priesthood, like you, occupy a grey area between the council and the Coral Caste. When inducted fully into the Temple as grown women, you gave up a part of your body - a finger, your eyes, your heart, it doesn’t matter. Something was given, and in return you received power. Any true priest has made this exchange, though a few novices exist who for one reason or another have not.

It is not a paradise, however. Spirits are flighty creatures, and can behave violently. Some chafe at the serene wisdom of the city’s caste system and would rebel. Worst, some men would deny their place as dull and spiritually stunted things fit only to father children and die in battle, seeking to become priests or rise above their legal station.

In a city of gods and women, you are the priesthood that walks between them. You may castigate unruly Spirits, punish blasphemous men, and wield the power of your patron god.

The Temple of Fate
The Serpent-Goddess of Fate’s symbolism comprises masks, wheels, and snakes. Her priesthood are first among equals, those charged with guiding the destiny of the city and able to issue dictates to other priests or lead them when required. Few are called to this station, selected from birth by current priests to replace them.

The Coral Caste, overseen by The Keeper, High Priest of Night.
The Coral Caste are lorekeepers, teachers, entertainers, artists, and explorers. Because Night is the goddess of sex and recreation, the Keeper is called on to organize and bless nocturnal celebrations, and officiate joining ceremonies between lovers. Some of Night’s priesthood are capable of monstrous transformations, and serve as the city’s secret protectors.

The Wind Caste, overseen by The Keening One, High Priest of Death.
The hunters, soldiers, morticians and singers of the Wind Caste are charged with those responsibilities involving death. They tend and bury the dead, while the Keening One and her subordinates guide the spirits of the dead to their rest with their song, officiating funerals.

The Sea Caste, overseen by The Raindancer, High Priest of Rain.
The Raindancer consecrates holy days, organizes festivals, and blesses births. Rain is the goddess of fertility and plenty, and the Sea Caste are fishers, sailors, dancers, midwives, and healers.

The Soil Caste, overseen by The Little Mother, High Priest of Earth.
Earth is the guardian and protector, who by herself is powerful yet unbreakable. The Little Mother is almost administrative in her role, overseeing the builders, guards, and craftswomen of the Soil Caste.

The Outcaste

The lowest caste, viewed as spiritually impure. The Outcaste were made so centuries ago, at the decree of the high council, and they multiply like rats in the corners of the city (although on rare occasion new souls are declared Outcaste). Often a source of sacrificial victims, sewer cleaners, and sometime slaves. They are also treated as a necessary evil; they can trade in illegal goods while largely overlooked, and freely mix with foreigners - or engage in piracy while giving the city plausible deniability. Killing Outcaste is viewed as improper, and outright uncouth if done for sport, but typically a priest who slays one (or more) is assumed to have been acting with appropriate judgement.

However, the Outcaste have of late become wealthy by aligning with traitorous spirits and dealing with Palemen from the far North, making them attractive to rebellious youngsters of higher castes who would seek the material gain and lack of proper order found among them.

A Note On Spirits

Spirits are creatures of uncountable forms and variations, which often exist invisibly and intangibly in the world, or a place just beyond it. It takes them effort to manifest physically, and they are often not inclined to do so. In either form, they can bend the world to their whims according to their kind; Spirits of Rain can swarm together to create a storm, Spirits of Sickness can weaken and kill. Little Spirits are no smarter than animals and relatively weak, while more powerful Spirits are as smart as humans, and the Spirits called Gods far outmatch mere mortals.

Each Spirit has values and traits it considers best, so it best to decide who should communicate with a Spirit to work with that. For example, a Health Spirit cherishes kindness and healing, while a Murder Spirit appreciates the opposite.

Spirits must not be confused with ghosts - they are living things, of a strange sort. Ghosts are the remnants of humans, left behind for reasons unknown. Ghosts rarely remain lucid, at best repeating their final moments, perceptible only to those with the appropriate gifts, and at worst becoming nightmarish wraiths without a shred of humanity left.

Ghosts are considered an unfortunate break in the cycle of reincarnation, or worse, a sign that a soul has been denied union with their god. A Priest of Death would do their utmost to correct this tragedy.

CHARACTERS

Five player characters, one from each of the High Temples. For beginners, there are pre-written characters you can modify and use if necessary, or stats you can use after writing your own character.
No prior experience with this or any system required, beginners to dice or RPs in general welcome.

Example Characters: Tribunal Pregens

OPEN SPACES:
Serpent-Masked Spinner, Priest of Fate =
The Beloved, Priest of Death =
Master of Ceremonies, Priest of Night =
Peerless Guardian, Priest of Earth =
Joy's Herald, Priest of Rain =

Ghosts_and_stars Ghosts_and_stars just making sure you see this in the hopes we get traction.

Last edited:
Oh, I like this. Hindu-Buddhist-Wuxia is something I hope I never tire of.

The cold war FBI game was also interesting (Any apocalyptic monster hunting setting that feels it's important to answer the question, "And we haven't called in the B-52s yet, why, exactly?" right in the premise speaks to me.) but I couldn't immediately think of a character I wanted to play.

In this game the hedonistic beautiful monster Master of Ceremonies is a big bundle of yes please for me.

Good to see you! And given the above, I'm surprised you didn't throw your hat into Nine Billion Names.

Let's hope this gets enough traction to kick off. You thinking of sticking with Ceda, or making your own MoC?

I did see Kill Six Nine Billion Names, and it looked great, but it already seemed to have a full cast.

Ordinarily I would make my own, but everything about the character looks good to me and I'm new to the system, so I might just look around the character creation rules to see if I want to tweak it a bit but otherwise leave it as is. It looks WoD-esque, so I should be able to find my way around.

Grand. I'll let you know if, as I suspect, a spot opens in NBN, but for now I'm going to hope like hell we get quorum in here because I like this game.

I'm very fond of all these ladies. It's part of why I wrote a sequel to this plotline.

And I may have roped in two more, so I'll premptively set up the threads for OOC etc soon.

I'm so down for this. I've been eyeing it, but I was worried about over-committing. But I just finished one RP and got confirmation that another wasn't going through, so I can safely say that I'm 100% ready. Do you still have spots? If so, for which ones? I'd love to take any.

I'm so down for this. I've been eyeing it, but I was worried about over-committing. But I just finished one RP and got confirmation that another wasn't going through, so I can safely say that I'm 100% ready. Do you still have spots? If so, for which ones? I'd love to take any.

So far Night, Death, and Rain seem confirmed, so Earth and Fate remain. I know that one player who has yet to declare opted for Fate on the last attempt, but we'll see. Anyone who posts interest gets first refusal, so if either of the remaining roles interest you anyone else is going to have to cope.
I am somewhat weary of having players be disappointed by dropouts so I am prepared to pull the trigger on quorum and have anyone left out try next time or remain listed in case of a withdrawal.

Earth sounds really interesting to me, honestly. I like her concept slightly more than Fate, though everyone is amazing. (I'm down for playing Fate if you need her more than Earth's.)

Hi, I’m not sure if you are still accepting but I am new at this, but I’m interested in the role of Fate =)

Oh, I'm afraid we're full. I should flag this or something.
I do have another RP with space at the moment, but it's fairly different and needs some muscle.

Oh, I'm afraid we're full. I should flag this or something.
I do have another RP with space at the moment, but it's fairly different and needs some muscle.
I’m not too much of a history buff, but I’d be happy to join that if you’d have me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back