• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial by Fire - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
"But do you think if we tried the door again that the lighting would shoot out? I mean. It came when you pulled the handle. Not when the boot was thrown at it. We could try kicking the door in." He grinned.

Kuaidao gave a shake of his head. "I can't help but think that the trap's designed to activate only if the door's opened." he said. "Then again, what do I know?"

When Spider pulled on the one door, it didn't budge. You are not sure if it is a false door or a real one that is still locked.

Bard cleared his throat. "Might I try? One thing I've learned from watching people work the trades is that sometimes you need to speak to something the right way for it to work."

D. Rex D. Rex What do you do? Do you try to open the door on the left that shot the lightning bolts somehow, or do you do something else?

Spider looks over at Kuaidao, then back to Bard. "Hell, if you want to get toasted that badly, go for it. I can only guess what happened to trigger the trap. Maybe it is used up and is now safe to try again? I don't know. Just be careful."

Maja rolls her eyes, "Personally, I prefer to disarm traps rather than trip them until they break. I'm going to wait above and you can call out if it works. If I hear thunder I'll come down to check on you." She climbs back up the ladder rather than risk having to parry another lightning bolt - there are only so many urns around, and they're probably worth more when they aren't blown to pieces.

As this conversation was going on, Kuaidao walked over to the other door, the one that no-one had yet tried to open, and attempted to do so. As far as he was concerned, the first door they'd tried was the booby-trapped one. Process of elimination, and all that.

This door opens easily, and noting explodes or tries to kill you. You can see fading off into the darkness a line of stairs going down, with small landings every ten feet or so.

Bard cleared his throat and took a deep breath, as if about to shout out the door for being stubborn. But when Kuidao opened the other door, he let it all out with a huff. "Well.... I guess we could go the other way." He relented.

Kuaidao grinned upon hearing Bard's response to the door, and then turned his attention to the newly revealed passage.

"Wow...just how deep does this place go?" he asked no-one in particular.

Maja pokes her head back down and seeing that no explosion of lightning has followed the opening of the door drops back down to the lower level and runs forward towards the new passage. "Well done! Okay, this time I'm going first so you don't fall into any more traps." She transforms into a fox in a quicksilver flash and bounds down the hallway without missing a stride.

Kuaidao didn't bother trying to stop her as she went past. He didn't think anything he could say would stop her. That, and his Essence was running low, the more pragmatic part of him thought.

As you head down the stairs, they finally come to a large double door made of stone with finely worked gold and orichalcum worked into it. There are handles that show you that the doors are supposed to open out towards you.

Before trying to open the doors, Kuaidao gave them and the surrounding space a quick look, wanting to check for any more traps.

[Rolling Perception + Awareness. Two successes.]

With only two successes, you do not see any signs of any traps that might be triggered if you try to open the door. At this point, you believe that it may actually be safe to attempt.

Though seeing no reason to be wary, Kuaidao held back on opening the door, wanting to give the others a chance to check it.

Maja pads down the stairs silently, ears pointing to and fro, until she reaches the ornate doorway. She examines the doorway by scent, sight, sound, and whisker, searching for seams, the scent or sound of mechanisms, air currents against her whiskers, signs of wear on the floor, walls, and doorway itself for hints of how it's usually operated, and perhaps even the faintest scent of those who opened it last still lingering undisturbed where they touched it so many centuries ago.

Per 5 + Awareness 3 + Stunt 2 + Keen Senses 3 = 13; 6 hits

Maja is unable to sniff out any signs of others being there, since any scents have faded away long ago. Neither Spider nor Maja spot any signs of traps on the door, but that just means you haven't found any.

It is also quite clear to you that the doors are very heavy, and will require a lot of strength to open up.

Spider drops down to the floor and stretches, feeling her back pop as she does so. "It looks clear to me. I guess that the next step is to try and open up this son of a bitch and see what lies beyond. You guys with me?"

"If it's safe, I don't think we've got much choice. These doors look heavy." replied Kuaidao as he approached the door, ready to assist in getting it open.

Maja transforms back into her true form and grabs one of the handles. "Everyone who isn't pulling should stand well back in case this one shoots lightning, too." At Spider's signal she heaves it open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back