• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial by Fire - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Just like the first pit, there is a slim walkway to be able to go around it, but this time it is on the right hand side of the hall.

Walking a few steps further down the hall, there is suddenly a third pit trap, but instead of being on the alternate side, this one is on the same side of the hall as you are on now. Thanks to your caution, you are able to avoid this trap, too.

Everyone that is interested, go ahead and make a Perception + Awareness roll, please.

"Too bad they apparently lacked imagination." said Kuaidao, as he made his way around the third water trap.

[Only 2 successes this time.]

Following safety behind in the brave brothers footsteps, Bard clicked his tongue in thought. "Oh, I doubt it will be that easy. If I was making these traps, I would have put several of the same in a row, expecting them to be found, then once the intruder is used to the patterns... well.... that's when you switch it up to catch them off guard." He said with a grin.

"Why don't you just toss a boot down the hall? I remember a story about a many trapped in a large cube with rooms that moved, that's how he got through the traps. Hmmm.... he still died though, I think."

Awareness 5sux

Last edited:
With the discovery of the third pit, Bard, Thallus and Spider notices that there is something a bit different about this one; there is no water flowing into it like the other two pits. From her position at the ceiling, Spider can see that there is actually a ladder leading down into the pit, which is also deeper than the other two.

Spider dangles upside-down from the ceiling, looking 'up' at the pit. "Hey! There are stairs leading down into the bottom of that pit, and no water is rushing in! Think that there is something down there of interest that is hidden away?"

"Why don't you just toss a boot down the hall? I remember a story about a many trapped in a large cube with rooms that moved, that's how he got through the traps. Hmmm.... he still died though, I think."

"Yes, I've read that story myself. He thought the traps were triggered by motion." replied Kuaidao.

Spider dangles upside-down from the ceiling, looking 'up' at the pit. "Hey! There are stairs leading down into the bottom of that pit, and no water is rushing in! Think that there is something down there of interest that is hidden away?"

"Possibly." said Kuaidao. "There's still the wooden door at the end of this corridor, though. This place is fast becoming a maze..."

Spider glances up at the door at the end of the hall and says, "Well, we are in no big hurry; we can take our time and make sure we don't miss anything. Lets go check out the door at the end of the hall, then we can back up and see what's down here, if anything."

Spider glances up at the door at the end of the hall and says, "Well, we are in no big hurry; we can take our time and make sure we don't miss anything. Lets go check out the door at the end of the hall, then we can back up and see what's down here, if anything."

"I agree." said Kuaidao.

With your decision made, the Circle starts to head on down the hall towards the door past the pit traps. You find that the door is unlocked, and when you open it, you find a room forty foot square with a vaulted ceiling with four of the glowing crystals up there that provides a bit of light for you to look around. At first glance, the room appears to be empty, with no other doors leaving the chamber. But a closer look shows that at the opposite end of the room there is a small crack in the wall where a hidden door had tried to close, but a small rock had blocked it from shutting tight. It appears that the secret door rises up in to the ceiling.

Spider frowns. "This . . . seems to be too easy. With all of the hidden traps and doors, to have this one sitting here, so obvious. I don't trust it."

Maja looks distastefully down at the pit traps slowly filling with water as she passes. "If you want to kill someone with a pit you make it deep or line it with spears. Whoever built this went to great expense and clearly valued inspiring fear over effective security. I dislike them already."

Once in the next chamber she admires the crystal formations for a few moments before taking off one of her winter boots and throwing it at the secret door with a grin, "Well, let's see if it was fable or folly."

When Maja's boot hits the cracked door, it shifts slightly but nothing else happens. The small stone on the floor is keeping the door from closing all the way.

With Maja's percussive maintenance doing nothing, Kuaidao headed up to the door to see if he could push it open.

The door lifts up into the ceiling, but it is heavy enough that it will probably take more than one person to lift it up.

Spider hops down from her spot on the roof and goes over to join in the effort to lift the door up. "If we get killed from this, I'm going to be pissed."

"You and me both." replied Kuaidao, as the Dawn crouched down and took hold of the bottom of the door, this time putting his back into trying to lift it.

[Rolling Strength + Athletics. 4 successes.]

Spider positions herself on the other side of the door and puts her back into lifting.

7 successes

With a bit of a grunt, the two of you are able to raise up the stone wall and it clicks up in place in the ceiling, revealing a small alcove filled with treasure! Gold and silver bricks, coins of jade and piles of gemstones glitter in the dim light, along with a pair of closed chests that hint at even more riches. The treasure is separated from you by a metal portcullis, but you can reach through the bars to touch the outlying stacks of precious metals.

Spider looks at the treasure with a raised eyebrow. "Anyone else feel a bit suspicious about all this? It seems . . . too good to be true, even with all the pit traps and such in the outer hall." She examines the metal grate to see if it is designed to move. "I am thinking that if we are going to try and get in there, everyone should back away a bit, just to be careful."

3 successes

An examination of the metal grate does not seem to indicate that it is supposed to move.

What do you guys do now?

Maja fetches her boot and slips her foot back inside. "Your people need better fables, Bard," she admonishes playfully, "The stories of Mammoth, Raven, Wolf, and Bagrash Kol at least teach you something - that one didn't teach anything useful."

She peers over Spider's shoulder, "Oooh, pretty. Are those magic gems like in the mirror? This isn't going anywhere, though, and unless we're planning to pay the Dynasts to go away I don't think we need it right now."

"Agreed. Let's leave this area for now, and then we can either keep looking around, or take a breather if we need to recover our Essence." said Kuaidao.

Spider lets out a sigh. "So many pretties. But I'm still suspicious of the whole situation. Seems too easy. But we can come back to it later. Lets see what lies down the hidden door in the pit trap."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back