• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial by Fire - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
"Hey, Thallus, want a bird cloak? It gives you wings! Real working wings! You can just fly away if you're in danger," holding the folded cloak out to him. If he isn't interested she shrugs and continues.

Then Maja walks over to the big stone slab over the entrance to one of the tombs, tapping it wither her finger and giving it an evaluating look over. She glances at Kuaidao, "So, you want me to pull one of these off?"

The stone slabs on top of the tombs are very large and quite heavy. It will most likely take several of you working together to move the cover stones.

Spider looks at the slab and stretches out a bit, then she says, "I think that we can handle this."

OOC with my Strength Excellency and Athletics skill, it gives me a 10 dice pool for feats of strength. Add that to Maja's, and we shouldn't have any trouble moving the slabs.

"Can't say I'm really in favour of disturbing the dead, but I don't think we've got much choice if we want to find this Keystone." Kuaidao said to the two female Lunars, as he walked over to the tomb Maja was at. "Still, I want to check this thing for traps first, before we try moving anything."

The Dawn Caste would then examine every inch of the tomb he could see, wanting to find out if there were any traps or mechanisms that would be activated if the the slab on the tomb was moved.

[Making Perception + Awareness roll to check for traps. I'm assuming I still have Sensory Acuity Prana active. 4 successes if so, 3 if not.]

"Flying will only put a bigger target on my back." Thallus replied to Maja and went to each of the tombs. "Great idea to look for traps, but before we try opening any of them let's explore every inch of the crypt before. There are traps, but we don't know what kinda or how they're activated." Thallus announces before attempting to see if there are any markers of who lies within which tomb.

The Dawn Caste would then examine every inch of the tomb he could see, wanting to find out if there were any traps or mechanisms that would be activated if the the slab on the tomb was moved.
An examination of the slab does not seem to indicate that there is any traps that will be immediately triggered if you move the cover stone.
"Flying will only put a bigger target on my back." Thallus replied to Maja and went to each of the tombs. "Great idea to look for traps, but before we try opening any of them let's explore every inch of the crypt before. There are traps, but we don't know what kinda or how they're activated." Thallus announces before attempting to see if there are any markers of who lies within which tomb.
Thallus can see that on top of each tomb is a name engraved in the stone, marking the identity of the Exalt that is interred below. Looking about the crypts, you note that there are two of the tombs that are not covered, showing you that there is no body resting there. Strangely enough, you do spot that there is a stone slab currently covering the intended resting place of Kal Bax, but that should not be, since his mortal remains are upstairs in the central salon and hearthroom.

"Exalts, these graves are marked with the name of our former selves." Thallus called out to the group. "I think we should investigate this one right here. The body of Kal Bax is upstairs, yet his tomb is sealed like the rest of your former selves."

(Ooc: what 's the chance of us getting the names?)

(Ooc: what 's the chance of us getting the names?)
The names of the twelve crypts are:
Kal Bax
Ozandus Pal
Crinis Proles
Larquen Quen
Arvika Chas
Mehrrin
Kotor Varos
Davig Churion
Vaznia - empty tomb
Aure Orchester
Iatraxian the Weaver
Suriun of Justice - empty tomb

There is no identification on the cover stones as to what kind of Exalt they are, because you do know that there were a mix of Solars, Lunars and a few Dragon Blooded.

Do any of these names seem to resonate with Spider more than the others? Is there some roll I can make to see if I can remember who I was?

You can try a Int + Lore roll, with two extra dice since the names are right there.

There is something about the name Arvika Chas that just seems to call to you.

As Thallus and Spider began looking around at the various tombs, Kuaidao followed them and did the same, examining the names and seeing if any looked familiar.

[Rolling Int + Lore + two die bonus from names. Three successes.]

"You don't usually find the traps on the outside of something like this," she says, tapping the stone slab with her finger, "Underneath, if anywhere. You could spring load some javelins, but you're unlikely to catch anything. If there's anything under this slab of stone it's liable to be magic. If my people were doing this, we'd chisel in some holdfasts for rope, set up some pulleys, and force some captured Icewalkers to haul it off from down the hall and around a corner. Most curses aren't smart enough to affect the people who forced someone else to open the tomb, and poison vapours dissipate quickly. That would take all day to set up, and are curses and angry spirits still a problem when we have a Sorceress? I don't mean to be cavalier, I just don't know what I'm supposed to be scared of anymore. There certainly aren't a dozen Princes of the Earth huddled under this thing."

"Agreed. This place was built soon after the Usurpation, so Dragon-blooded ambushes likely aren't going to be one of the traps here." joked Kuaidao.

"Still, I know of many battles that were won by exploiting the enemy's overconfidence. And this place was built by Solars, so for all we know, there could be traps with capabilities far beyond what your people have encountered, some of them still active if no-one else came here before us. Assuming one could sneak onto the Blessed Isle, even a Night Caste would have a hard time getting through the Imperial Manse safely."

So do you try to remove the cover stone on one of the tombs? If so, which one do you do first?

As Thallus and Spider began looking around at the various tombs, Kuaidao followed them and did the same, examining the names and seeing if any looked familiar.

[Rolling Int + Lore + two die bonus from names. Three successes.]
A faint memory of being Davig Churion comes to mind, but it is difficult to get any details.

While Bard hadnt yet donned his new silk garb, he was sitting quietly on a the edge of a pillar tuning the ancient stringed instrument. "I'm sure we will be safe." He said absently."this is our place after all. Surely at least one of us would be smart enough to point out we don't want to kill ourselves when we return."

"What are we digging down here for anyway?" He asked. "Is the keystone really that important?"

Kuaidao glanced over at Bard. "The demons did say that destroying it would set them free from here." he replied. "Or do you have another way of doing that?"

Bard nodded, plucking the three strings, and listening intently for their sound. Had to make sure it was just right.

"We do not need to destroy it if we do not set them free." He mused. "And we can't rightly trust demons to their own devices."

He spread his hands in a proud gesture. "I managed to convince them to continue servitude, in a way that benefits both of us. A small price for an army of security and servants, I do think. They would be as vassals, and serve accordingly. We would just need to make a few tweaks to their contract, and see they are supplied with goods for which they can prosper with."

Spider looks uncertain. "I am still not liking the thought of keeping the imps in forced captivity. If we can set them free and still have them work for us to keep the manse safe, that would sit better with me."

"Such is why I suggested it." He paised to give spider a friendly smile. "Your thoughts were taken into account."

"The bargain I proposed sees them paid for their servitude. And the contract seals them here to follow the rules. I ensured they would not be stuck here, and gave them options should they wish to leave. Options that require a return to Malfeas, and not running wild in Creation. And in such a way that in if we die, they will not be stuck here like they were before."

"Quite the benevolent, bargain, I do say. Especially given that we aren't likely to make much us of them. For whatever is happening in the world, I doubt we will spend much time in the manor, sadly."

Do any of you make the effort to remove the cover stone over the tomb of Kal Bax?

Spider shrugs. "Well, hell. Enough of the chit-chat. Lets open this up and see what is inside." She positions herself at one corner of the cover and waits for someone to take on another spot.

Kuaidao nodded, and after cracking his knuckles, took up a position on the corner opposite Spider, the two of them separated by one of the tomb's longer sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back