• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial by Fire - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Melinda replies, "Much of what I know about the manor house is centuries out of date, considering that the construction was still ongoing the last time I was there. What I can tell you is that it is centered on a powerful demense, and the builders were planning on harnessing the geomantic power to help protect and conceal the place to make it a safe retreat from the drama and bickering of the Deliberative. The manor house was to be a home away from home for six Celestial Exalts; three Lunars and three Solars, all of which were good friends of mine when I was a young member of the Celestial Bureaucracy. They had several Dragon Blooded aids that were helping to build the retreat, so there is the potential of quite a few different artifacts to be had in the strongroom."

She thinks for a moment, then pulls out a piece of blank paper. Holding it in her hands for a moment, an image suddenly appears.

Map.png

She shows the parchment to everyone. "This is a map of the area that the manor house was in, and as you can see, it is quite a fair distance up north, making cold weather gear a necessary purchase. The location was chosen as much for the remoteness as well as the power of the demense. The hazardous weather conditions combined with the added security measures that were undoubtedly put in place will keep the prize out of the hands of mere mortals as well as making it hard to discover by the handful of Wyld Hunters that are on your heels."

Kuaidao would look at the map, committing it to memory.

"That skull and crossbones in the top right, next to the Stone Maw. I assume that it means some form of danger, but do you have any idea what exactly?" he asked.

Last edited:
A warm feeling washed over Thallus when Rivers and Maja reassured him about him belonging here. "It's nice to meet you Twin Rivers Entwined" Thallus greeted Rivers but his attention shifted directly to Melinda and the line of questioning happening to her. He stood silent until she revealed a piece of paper with roughly the same map that he had drawn. The sudden reassurance and feeling of accomplishment fell slightly, but he injected. "I assumed the Jolly Roger is where the cache is. Typically First Age cache's are not something people can walk in without great danger. There's a good chance that those who drew the sign put it there because of legends of people going missing or an interaction of whatever defenses the cache may have. Such as the spirits and ghosts Melinda warned us about."

(Can I roll anything to remember who may have made the map and anything I may have read about them and/or any reason why the jolly roger is planted on the map. I do have Eidetic Memory.)

Melinda gives a rueful smile. "That skull and crossbones is where the manse is, and where you'll be able to find the lost cache of gear. The Solar that was building this was a fellow named Kal Bax. He was the one that made this map, and he was always one to tend towards the dramatic. At a guess, the wards and traps that were in place have been enough to keep the manor house hidden from prying eyes, keeping everyone out."

Syvvaris Syvvaris You would have seen some information about the northern reaches, but nothing about this particular manse.

"Huh. Usually when X marks the spot, it's just a plain version of the letter, rather than one made of bones and with a skull above it." Kuaidao would remark.

"Still, if we're near Sijan now, we're likely to take a few months to get to the manse. Unless one of our group's capable of transporting us with sorcery, or turning themselves into a creature that can move fast and is big enough to carry us all." he added, recalling the distance reference he'd seen on the map.

Spider shakes her head. "I'm not able to take on any forms big enough to carry a group of people. Sorry."

Melinda says, "I know a way to help speed us along much faster. If we go overland, I can get us there in only a few weeks, possibly a bit faster if we cut some of the distance down by taking another ship as far up the river as we can."

"Much appreciated." said Kuaidao. "This way of yours, what precisely does it involve, if you don't mind me asking?"

Spider shrugs. "Well, we have enough money to hire a river boat to move us along, but once we get off the boat, we'll need horses for all of us or a wagon to be able to ride in. Either way, it will cost us. How much money do we have?"

At that question, Kuaidao glanced down at his money pouch, before looking back at the Lunar. "I've got about one or two dozen dinars on me. That won't get us riding horses, but we might be able to get a drawn wagon for it."

She looks over at Kuaidao and says, "It is a spell, one called Stormwind Rider. I have enough strength of Essence to be able to carry all of us, and it is a rapid spell, moving at a hundred miles per hour. That is most certainly faster than any other form of transport we might use, and will eliminate many of the hazards of the road."

Spider grins. "Hell! That sure sounds like the best way to go to me. We just need to get out on the road and away from any witnesses, and poofta! We are racing along. I'm looking forward to it."

Kuaidao nodded, his response more subdued than Spider's. "I've heard of that spell. Hardly the most...elegant of transportation methods, but I'll gladly take it if it means getting to our destination quickly."

The Sidereal says, "Well, it will work to get us all where we need to be, even if it is not subtle in its execution. It just will not work with any large animals like horses, and if we bring along any cargo, one or more of the shapeshifters in the group will have to take on some smaller, lighter forms to allow me to carry everything."

Spider nods. "Easily done, for me, at least. I can literally fit in someone's pocket if I have to."

Maja bites her lip, casts her eyes heavensward, and counts on her fingers for several seconds before coming to an abrupt and starting realization, "A hundred miles in an hour? Like the mile marker stones on the great road? In an hour? Great Tusk to Hansu is thirty stones, and the sundial said that took two hours, and my horse was lathered. That's... what..." She looks down at her counting fingers and her face scrunches up in thought, "Maybe ten stones an hour? You can fly... ummm... ten times faster than a horse at a canter!? Don't you get tired? Does it hurt to move that fast? Is it scary? What if you hit something?"

Melinda smiles at Maja's enthusiasm. "To be honest, yes, it was a bit scary the first time I ever traveled that fast, and no, I have never run into anything. The caster is able to direct the whirlwind with good precision, and it is very maneuverable. As for getting tired, the spell does not wear me out, so I can maintain the whirlwind for an extended period of time without trouble. It is really a very safe way to travel, even if it is a bit gusty."

As folks discussed the map, something stuck in Bards minds about what Melinda said. He finally spoke.

"Three Solars, three lunars. That was us, wasn't it?" He asked. Closing his eyes and trying his best to remember. And something was there. Faint, as if trying to remember a dream.

"You... you were young then, Melinda weren't you. But you weren't there as it was being constructed. Called away, I think? Hmm. You were cute back then." He said softly. Fishing his mind for elusive details. "It was a special project that we wanted to celebrate our Circle. A home to last the ages, where our souls could eventually find so that way be reunited in any future age."

As he tried to focus more on the memory, his caste mark began to glow. "I see marble, I think. Marble and jade. I recall there was another exalt, a master craftsman who built that work. Created that Manse. Zol...tan? -Tuun? -tar? Zol something. Hmmmm."

"The cache. It wasn't our plan at first. I think we wanted wanted to prepare for our reincarnations. I do not know how far we got... but I felt a sense of urgency to it. Like we knew it was to be needed. Midway through construction I think we started to change course of its purpose."

Bard pointed a finger at Thallus. "You. Or... who you were. You did something to it. You weaved your magic into it. Something regarding the defenses. It was as if you made the Manor 'alive'. It knew us. You made it want to keep us safe. It would destroy itself before it harmed us."

Bard opened his eyes. "These traps, the dangers... if this sorcery is still upon the Manse, I do not believe they will harm us."

Introducing a fact: The Manse will not be dangerous to our Circle.

Int+Lore 5
Lore Excellency 5
Stunt 2 (if applicable)

Total 12

Successes: 6

Melinda looks at Bard with an intense gaze. "I do hope you are right. In any case, we will undoubtedly find out soon enough. We will be reaching Jaffa sometime tomorrow, and we can then pick up some cold weather gear before we set off to Wangler's Knob."

Just as predicted, the town of Jaffa can be seen as the Seagull comes sailing along the river around 11am the next day.

Before Bard leaves the ship, while the others are exploring the city, or during this travel. He would go find the Captain to see what he wanted to talked about, providing he was able to catch the captain alone.

Sherwood Sherwood

Bard is able to find Dromond in his cabin/office, going over some paperwork. He looks up as Bard enters, and says, "Ah. I was wondering when I was going to have a chance to talk with you. I wish to let you know that I am still grateful for what you and your friends did for my ship and crew against that kraken, and I'm sorry that I have to ask you to leave. I do hope you can understand. The reach of the Wyld Hunt is long, and I have the needs of the crew to look out for."

Within Jaffa, Kuaidao would offer the others his help with regards to procuring winter gear, simply by virtue of the fact that he'd done a number of tours of duty in the North, and so had an idea of what one might need for cold weather. He soon realized that he might be better off deferring to Maja on this matter, given how she had grown up in the Haslanti League and been imprisoned by Northern Fair Folk.

Last edited:
Rivers sneers at the mere thought of such sorcerous means of travel. She has four strong legs when she wants to, why would she need to warp the world to get anywhere. She'd do it if the rest decided to take that road, but it would not be with as light a heart.

She turns to Drommond when he gives his excuse. She locks eyes with him, and says with much ceremony "Do not demean yourself for putting the lives of your men first. In fact, it might have saved our lives in turn when you agreed to take us from Sijan despite the danger to yourself. For this, i would like to propose you a boon from my own magic. If you accept, i would grant you physical changes that will be a benefit for your life on the river. You will no longer be human, but something more. What say you?"

Maja realizes she has too few forms to effectively utilize her gift. She couldn't quietly accompany Rivers in her underwater assault, nor slip away from the ship undetected should it be lost. She spends the night practicing silent hunting in the pale moonlight, focusing her power into obscuring her presence from the senses of her victims. She sacred hunts an osprey as a snowy owl, a mouse as an arctic fox, and a river fish as an osprey, exulting in each kill. After an hour of fruitless attempts in the hollow of a tree she's puzzled and frustrated to learn she can't assume the field mouse form - she killed it fair and square! - as the form slips through her fingers like water when she attempts to compress herself into such a small shape. She returns to the ship as the sun begins to rise, collapsing into an inordinately self-satisfied slumber on deck as soon as she finishes returning to her true form.

She awakens bleary eyed and exhausted as they pull into port at 11, following Kuaidao into town in a drowsy haze until the excitement of visiting somewhere new snaps her awake. She could plan a northern expedition in her sleep, but given the way their last foray into town went she isn't letting Kuaidao out of her sight, nor missing an opportunity to explore the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back