• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial by Fire - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Kuaidao grimaced at the sight of the lifeless environment in front of him, and at Melinda's words about how it was unnatural, and how it hadn't been here before. "Who, or what, do you think could have done something like this?" he asked, while looking out at the lifeless area for anything (else) out of the ordinary.

As you are pondering the desolation before you, a deep, rumbling voice speaks up from behind you. "It was demons that did it. Demons over the course of many years." Turning to look at the source of this voice, you see what can only be described as a yeti, moving silently through the trees in a hunched over shuffling gait. It is at least twenty feet tall, with thick white fur.

It speaks again. "I have been watching you for some time now. It is clear that you have Exalted in your number. What do you want in my mountains?"

Spider looks over at the giant in surprise, wondering how something so large could sneak up on them so well. If it wanted to attack us, it could have done so from surprise. Lets try and talk to see what it wants. She looks up at the creature, and while keeping her hands away from her blades, she says, "Yes, we are Exalted, and we are here on our own business. Who are you, and how do you claim these mountains?"

"I would wager that this is the being that Sesus has deigned fit to hunt." Bard answered. "The one Melinda told us about that inhabited these parts."

"Though, my white furred friend, the claim you have on these mountains is a matter a of debate depending on if you feel your domain has more legitimacy than that what was given to us by right of the Unconquered Sun." He said kindly.

Kuaidao glanced at Bard, and then turned back to the creature, feeling that the Zenith's points deserved more of an explanation.

"We mean you no harm. We are Chosen of both the Unconquered Sun and Luna, and we've come here in search of a trove of artifacts once used by our past lives, one said to be hidden within this area." he said in Skytongue.

Maja circles lazily overhead, studying the beast warily, astounded that something so large could get so close unnoticed. It doesn't seem immediately aggressive so she listens and takes the opportunity to scan the surrounding terrain for any other 20 ft tall fuzzy giants she may have missed. She remains prepared to dive the moment it gives any indication of hostile intent.

The giant creature flops down on his fuzzy butt on the snow with a thud and a snort. "I have had no dealings with the Exalted for many years; just the people of Wangler's Knob. Why do you come here now?"

"I don't know how or why the Solars have returned to Creation after millenia have passed, just that they have." answered Kuaidao. "One of my Solar companions might know more on the matter. As for the Chosen of Luna, I believe the ones with me could give a far more accurate answer than I could."

"As I said just now, we seek artifacts once used by our past selves. Creation is at risk once again, and as Celestial Exalted, we have a duty to protect and watch over it. The artifacts we are looking for are a means to that end."

He then looked at Bard, thinking that the Zenith would be able to do a better job of convincing this creature that they were trustworthy.

Bard nodded understanding, and walked over beside the creature and say down crosslegged beside. "It has been a very long time hasn't it, Rhabwar. The exalts that havent gone missing have gone into hiding. And those left. That should be protecting creation now care more about politics and bloodlines than actually tending to creation, that is when they aren't actively trying to slaughter us."

Bard stroked his mustache, curling it in between his fingers as he spoke. "My good friend Kuaidao here is right, though. We are seeking the artifacts here. To ready ourselves against a threat to creation we know nothing about."

Bard pointed over at Melinda, "See that chick? Well she has a bad case of the secrets. She means well enough at least. Something bad is about happen, and she brought us together so that we might stop it. Personally, I hope she's wrong. But someone from heaven comes to tell you that shit is about to go down, it tends to be something you take seriously."

"But we arent your average treasure seekers. We arent here looking for glory or a cheap chunk of jade. You see, we used to live here. A very long time ago. It was ages ago, that we founded the manse, knowing that we would one day return. I dont remember a lot. No doubt memories don't hold up well to millennia and reincarnation. So if you were here before us, I can't say I remember you."

Bard turned to look at the deathly scene, "But as I sit here and look... it seems that in our absence, horrible things have happened. Things that we can hopefully set right. And you, the spirit of the mountains, you can help us just as much as we can help you."

"There are two Dynasts in town. One marching here in a matter if days. The other about to set out to hunt you down. If we work together, we can see that neither get their way. We can bring Wanglers Knob back to the peaceful normalcy it once had, and hopefully do something about this damage done by the demons you spoke of."

Bard then patted the large hairy creature on the thigh. "The sun had set for a long time, but the return of our kind signifies a new dawn. There is a danger coming, and our return is no coincidence." He touches his forehead and let his caste mark shine, "We are but a small bunch, now. But we wont be for long. We have creation to save, Wanglers Knob included. So what say you?"

The big fuzzy guy looks down at Bard, obviously deep in thought. Then, he rumbles out, "I have been waiting for the day that the sun shines on Wangler's Knob once more for many generations, protecting the people there from those that would do them harm. I can remember a time, long ago, when the Celestial Exalted ruled Creation, and I am pleased to see your return." He looks down at you, and then says, "I thank you for the warning of hunters coming for me. I have had much experience in dealing with such ilk."

Rhabwar then yawns, scratches his side, and stretches. "If you continue on, I must warn you that there are many demons beyond this line. They were left here by the builders, and have been trapped here ever since. They may try to use you as a meal, or try and talk you into helping them escape. Either way, be wary of them. In any case, I will leave you to your journey. Fare you well."

"Excuse me." said Kuaidao. "These demons, can you tell us anything more about them? What kinds are there? Beauteous wasps? Blood apes? Any others?"

The giant nods. "I know little of what kind they are, but I do know that they are some sort of small, irritating beasts, nothing as formidable as a Blood Ape, but there are hundreds of them trapped here. There are many kinds of minions of Malfias that have slipped notice in the history books. Not that I am one to read much, with these big hands of mine."

"I see." replied Kuaidao. "In any case, thank you for your help."

He then clasped his hands and bowed his head, in a now somewhat overdue greeting. "I am Kuaidao, of the Blessed Isle. What name do you go by, if I may ask?"

The giant climbs back up to his feet and returns the bow given to him by Kuaidao. "I am Rhabwar, and I hope you find success in your endeavors, Kuaidao, of the Blessed Isle." With a final nod, the giant slips into the trees and quickly vanishes from sight.

Bard nodded at the warning if the demons and stood up. After sweeping the snow from his pants he clasped his hands behind his back and looked towards the demon zone.

"We put these demons there. Thusly we are their masters."

Bard looked to Thallus, "Do you know anything about demons and summoning? There is a good chance that they recognize you as their master. Not only would it make getting their easier... but we could use them against the dynasts."

Syvvaris Syvvaris

Spider smiles wryly. "That's assuming that their 'loyalty' goes from Exaltation to Exaltation. Besides, they might be a bit miffed at us, being the reincarnations of the Exalts that left them here. They could attack us just as readily as the Dynasts."

Thallus was barely used to the spell before they arrived at the unnatural absence of vegetation. He stared at at the scene and tried to take in what could have done something like this and did not notice their visitor until his fellow travelers were already talking to him. He stood in the back and watched until Rhabwar stood up and left. Bard then asked him a question about his abilities with demons.

"I do know about summoning and I know demons are too dangerous for a bookworm for me to try and summon them in Sijan." Thallus answered, "I know about the three circles and the summoning them is roughly the same as summoning an elemental, in which I know how to do and have done before in secret. But I wouldn't rely too heavily on the possibility that my former self's command over the Manse or these demons has transferred to me."

"What about the rules?" Bard asked. "Isn't there supposed to be some rules that demons must follow?"

Bard scratched his head. "I guess we would be basing it on whether it is the body or the soul that demons listen to... still, we did plan to return. I know that much. I don't know if it applies to demons... but what failsafes are there should recognize us."

"There is one more thing i know. If there are any of our souls that would have the foresight to have thought ages ahead. I have full confidence it would have been you."

Spider gives the two Solars a grin. "We only have one way know. Lets cross the line and see what happens. If we are attacked by demons, we'll deal with them." With that, she makes a purposeful stride across the invisible line in the snow and looks around.

Nodding in farewell to Rhabwar, the Dawn Caste turned to look at the rest of the exalts and listen to the short conversation taking place. When Spider decided to cross over the invisible line, he gave a mental shrug and followed her, one hand on the handle of his Daiklave.

As Spider steps across the unseen line where the vegetation stops, there is no sign of any change that you can see, just a lot of open ground in front of you that is covered in deep snow. At this point, there is nothing around you, no trace of the demons that Rhrabwar has warned you about.

Melinda joins Kuaidao and Spider, looking around with a frown. "So much destruction. A true waste. Such a pity. Ah, well. Nothing that we can do about it now. Let us continue on. We are nearly at the mansion, just a few miles to go."

"Lead on, Melinda. You seem to know a lot about this place." replied Kuaidao. As he followed her, he would keep an eye out for any sign of the demons, lest they get the jump on the group.

[OOC: Rolling Perception + Awareness. Using Sensory Acuity Prana for 5m Personal Essence, and 4m Peripheral Essence for my Awareness Excellency, giving me 10 dice. With double 9's, that's 8 successes.]

"Once you summon a demon you have to bind it to your will. If that's successful you have two choices as a summoner; the first is to give it a task and once complete will disappear and the second is to bind it to your will for a year and one day." Thallus tried to answer Bard's question on a difficult subject. "So, if the demons are still there like Rhabwar said. It means the demons were given a task and it has yet to be completed such as protect the manse. The real question is what kind of demon my former life would have summoned in mass?" He pondered for a moment about the term failsafe and what he would do now. "I doubt I would have made any failsafes in protecting powerful artifacts that were meant to protect Creation from an unknown threat. I may be book smart but I know I'm the most clever of people. If there was a way past the demons put their purposefully, then someone will find it. I would hope that future versions of myself would be powerful enough to get through the defenses on my own."

Maja's excitement ratchets up in intensity as they approach the fabled Manse, eyes continually scanning the horizon for any sign of relic or ruin as she soars overhead.

Perception 5 + Awareness 3 + Keen Hearing & Sight 3 + Stunt 2 = 13 dice
6 hits

As you look around, it does not take you long to realize that you are being watched. There is a small group of three to four small shaggy humanoid creatures trying to watch you from behind some rocks, doing their best to stay hidden from you while they sneak peeks out at you. The group is about three hundred feet away from where you are right now, off to one side of your path. If you continue on your current course, you'll pass by them to your left about one hundred feet away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back