• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial by Fire - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Spider is a bit disappointed that Dromond is going to be dropping them off early, but she can't blame him. It is a lot to ask of someone to risk their lives in the face of the Wyld Hunt. "I understand, Captain, and wish you calm seas as you go on your way. Can you tell us anything about this town of Jaffa? I am not from this part of Creation, having come from much farther south."

Dromond shrugs. "Jaffa is like most river towns. I've never have gone farther than the bars and inns on the sides of the docks to know much about the place, but they hold little love for the Wyld Hunt and the Realm, so you shouldn't have much trouble getting to this town up north you are heading for. I wish you all luck on your journey." With that, he returns to the business of running his ship.

After he has left easy earshot, Melinda looks at the group and says, "In my earlier contacts with you, I did promise to answer some of your questions. I see no reason why we can't begin some of that now. Ask what you will, and I will give you what information I can."

"Who are you? And why do you want to help us?" Kuaidao asked. "And what exactly are you? When we first met, I got the impression that you were some kind of Exalt, but not much more than that."

Eventually Thallus made his way near Melinda just as one of his "companions" started asking who she was and such. "She's Melinda and the person who brought as all together and just like there are Solars, Lunars and Dragonblooded, there are other breeds of Exalt."

Sherwood Sherwood No response to Bard?
Other than a grateful look and a nod, Dromond is silent. Perhaps he will be more open to talk with fewer ears to overhear? You are not sure.
"Who are you? And why do you want to help us?" Kuaidao asked. "And what exactly are you? When we first met, I got the impression that you were some kind of Exalt, but not much more than that."
Eventually Thallus made his way near Melinda just as one of his "companions" started asking who she was and such. "She's Melinda and the person who brought as all together and just like there are Solars, Lunars and Dragonblooded, there are other breeds of Exalt."
The woman nods in agreement with Thallus' comment, looking to Kuaidao first, then to the rest of you. "I am called Melinda Severance, and yes, I am an Exalt, but of a kind that you have not heard of before. I am one of the Sidereal Exalted, a member of the Chosen of Secrets and beholden to Jupiter. There are only one hundred of the Sidereal Exalts that serve in Yu-Shan under the watchful eye of Chejop Kejak, the leader of the Bronze Faction and the backer of the Dragon Blooded and the Wyld Hunt. I am a member of a rival group that calls itself the Gold Faction, seeking to restore the rightful rule of the Solar and Lunar Exalted once more."

She looks out over the rail to the passing shoreline, then says, "It was many years ago that we were able to read a potential future in the Loom of Fate in the heart of the Celestial City, foretelling of a disaster that may come about that will challenge all of Creation that Ayesha Ura, the leader of the Gold Faction, feels that only the Celestial Exalted can stop. To that end, the Gold Faction has been reaching out to as many of the Solar Exalted as possible, trying to subtly guide you away from the watchful eye of the Wyld Hunt and their cronies. At one time or another, I have known all of you in prior Exaltations, and we have been friends over many lifetimes, and I have taken a special interest in you because of that."

Melinda motions over at Thallus and continues with, "Thallus here has a fragment of a map that will lead you to a hidden manse that has gone undiscovered for centuries, and there is undoubtedly riches of many kinds still inside. You just need to be able to get there before the onrushing hordes of treasure hunters that are already making their way north to search for any signs of First Age artifacts. Once you arm yourselves with the goods waiting for you, your odds of survival against the trials to come will be greatly heightened."

Maja cringes when Dromond highlights her transformation, but is pleased to note the broad consensus on finding some way to repay the crew.

She rolls her eyes at Thallus' authoritative non-answer, but her ears perk up immediately at the mention of a lost manse.

"So they do find us the same way you do. How does your soothsaying work? Does it tell you anything about me other than where I will be and when? Can I learn to do it too? How do I stop someone from doing it to me?"

A little bird sits on some nearby rigging, listening in at the conversation. Hearing that the crew finally having caught notice of their nature, it flaps its wings and rises from its perch. There was no way Rivers was going to miss out on getting some explanation out of Melinda. She glides slowly down towards the group, and in a flash of feathers and glint of silver she stood, now back in her human form with tattoos undisguised. She did always have something like a weakness for theatrics.

She gives a glance over her shoulder and responds to Bard's earlier suggestion in a deadpan manner that not everyone would recognize as a joke loud enough that anyone attempting to listen in might hear "Maybe if we ate a few of these sailors, the story would hold water a bit better?"

Whereafter she turns her attention towards Melinda's current guise. "What i am more interested in is the larger picture. You have gathered us and plan to arm us." She squints her eyes in a mildly threatening manner, letting the predator looking out them beneath her skin through just the slightest "Not that i am ungrateful for what you have done thus far, but i would like to ask what comes next. For what purpose have we been gathered beyond simply mutual survival?"

Bard nodded at Dromond. They'd talk later.

For now, Bard would make his way over to the circle. To hear what it was this enigmatic Melinda had to say.

"I dont mean to sound negative or ungrateful, Melinda. You could have had us dead at any point during this journey you had us on. I think that has earned a bit a trust."

"But... but. You judging from the others reactions, and my own personal experience. I can't say that I know you. Or more accurately, I dont remember you. What past lives I have lead, I havent tapped into those memories. Because of that, in sure you can understand any sort of confusion, skepticism. And suspicion we might have."

"For if it is true of what you say... looms of fate. Guiding behind the scenes. Peering into the future. Such things can give one unfathomable opportunities of manipulation. As such, it can make one a little unnerved at the thought we arent in control as we might be."

"I think chief among the worries, is that we are new and naive in the ways of exaltation. Thus we are a prime tool to be made use of. With so many mysteries that are presented to us, how would we know any better if the fate we are being guided towards is for the betterment of creation? And how would we know if this betterment of creation is a subjective end, arbitrated by those whose judgement is not allowed to be questioned."

"I think that would cover the bulk of any hesitance we might have."

The woman sits calmly as the various questions come her way. She looks over at Maja first, saying, "The means that I have been using to track you is something that is specific to the Loom of Fate and the various members of the Celestial Bureaucracy. Just as the Solars and Lunars have their own special powers, so do the Sidereal Exalted have their own purviews. I am happy to say that I have made arrangements to hide us all from the watchful eyes of the Bronze Faction and their cronies. I just hope that the sacrifice I made to do so was worth it."

Melinda takes a deep breath, then says, "You ask for what purpose do I work so hard to arm you and protect you from the Wyld Hunt. There is a threat looming on the horizon, one that will require the leadership of the Celestial Exalted. Unfortunately, what I cannot say is exactly what the threat is, despite the best efforts of the seers of both the Bronze and Gold Factions. The nature of this enemy is one that is outside of Creation, perhaps from the Underworld, or the Wyld. It is a mystery to this day. The debate rages among the Sidereals, trying to decide just what to do. Members of the Bronze Faction feel that the Dragon Blooded host will be sufficient to handle this, while the leaders of the Gold are convinced that whatever it is out there will be nasty enough to warrant the best efforts of the Solars and Lunars leading Creation in this upcoming battle."

She looks at each of you in turn, saying, "You must be strong in order to face the Wyld Hunt and survive, let alone be the stalwart guardians that we need you to be. There is little doubt that there are going to be traps and wards around the Manse that houses the cache of First Age gear, but I am sure that we will be up to the challenge, but we will need to keep our wits about us and move with caution as we travel farther north."

As you talk, the Seagull makes her way down the river towards the town of Jaffa.

Spider leans back against the rail of the ship as she listens to the word of their mysterious benefactor. "Interesting. A threat from outside of Creation, you say? But you don't know what it might be? Hmmm. If it is the forces of the dead, I'll have to learn how to face off against spirits and ghosts; a skill that I have had little need to master yet." She looks at Melinda and says, "You say that you have done something, a sacrifice, to help keep us from being tracked by this Loom-thingy. What was it, if I may ask?"

"You didnt quite address my concern. So, before I comment. There is one more thing I'd like you to answer." Bard said. "Are you now, or will you, hide anything from us?" He asked.

Eyeing her carefully, but not suspiciously. These were apparently serious matter. And he didnt want not knowing her get in the way if any cooperation. Drommond was one thing, a lone exalt. But this woman held a lot of cards, according to her. The woman did say that she knew them and was their friend, after all. That she knew them throughout their lives. If that was the case... surely there was something in that heart of hers that he would see.

Sherwood Sherwood I would like to make a Read Intentions action, what roll would I make?

"As much as I would like to always know the truth and see the whole of a situation." Thallus stood silent until Bard came to question whether Melinda would be 100% truthful to us or not. "I have read many books where knowing everything to a problem leads down the wrong road. Melinda says that we have to face this looming threat, if we knew what we were going to and it can only be us to defeat this threat. Where would the hope be if any or all of us fall before the time is right? If she knows that not all of us will make it to the end, but if......" He paused and looked out onto the water to gather his words. "What if Melinda knows one of us will not make it to the vault, but one of us will only live to fulfill a task to help the others and then parishes. If she were to give the name of that individual, would they fulfill their destiny or will they run? For example... I'm... I'm not as strong as you all are. I'm a book worm from Nexus, what if all I knew that my entire purpose in this quest was to bring you the map Melinda mention. If she were to know my fate ends in the next conflict, but my death saved the rest of you. Many whom I still don't know your names. If she told me I die in the next few days, why would I stay on this boat with you all."

She looks at Melinda and says, "You say that you have done something, a sacrifice, to help keep us from being tracked by this Loom-thingy. What was it, if I may ask?"
In a very matter of fact tone, Melinda says, "You may ask, but I will not be telling you. That is a secret of mine to keep."
"You didnt quite address my concern. So, before I comment. There is one more thing I'd like you to answer." Bard said. "Are you now, or will you, hide anything from us?" He asked.

Eyeing her carefully, but not suspiciously. These were apparently serious matter. And he didnt want not knowing her get in the way if any cooperation. Drommond was one thing, a lone exalt. But this woman held a lot of cards, according to her. The woman did say that she knew them and was their friend, after all. That she knew them throughout their lives. If that was the case... surely there was something in that heart of hers that he would see.

Sherwood Sherwood I would like to make a Read Intentions action, what roll would I make?
She looks straight at Bard and says, "Have I kept things hidden from you? Of course I have. There are many things that you are just not ready to know yet, that would just confuse you if I were to reveal them now, and there are things about the Celestial Bureaucracy that will take you decades to master. I will tell you what I can when I can."

OOC Read Intention is a Perception + Socialize skill roll.

"Much more things out there than the dead to be afraid of. Stories are abound. Myths of creatures from a realm of green fire, who can decimate creation with a single footstep. Monstrosities at the edge of creation and their soulless master. Horrors that live deep below the waves, leviathans and creatures the mind cant comprehend. " he explained to Spider.

To Thallus, Bard waved a hand. "Clme now, I tried to get you to socialize earlier. But worry not... even if what she sees is a fate worse than death for you... we embody the nature of the Unconquered Sun. Bare your will, Thallus, and it not even fate can bind you."

He turned back to Melinda to stare her down,"Confusion is a the least of worries. That which we dont understand now, we can learn with context as we go."

"Should you wish us to cooperate fully, then we would expect you to do the same. We may be but fledglings in this world, but you are entrusting us to end a threat that you have gone to lengths to procure us. I would think trust would be one the minimal things we should be able to expect from each other."

5 socialize Excellency. Personal mts.

7 successes

Maja's eyes widen as she listens the Thallus' astute and remarkably candid assessment. "Fuck, that would be scary. I'm not ready to die, even to save the world." She looks at Melinda nervously, "Did you, uh, check before you made your sacrifice? Do you know when we're going to die?" She looks uncertain for a moment before adding, "Thanks, by the way, I think, for the, y'know, sacrifice. I don't know what you gave up for us, but it sounds important to you. I appreciate it. I'm going to sleep easier knowing they can't see me anymore."

Maja looks at Thallus with a mix of concern, pity, and curiosity. Curiosity wins quickly. "So... didn't your change make you stronger? I could throw a decent punch before, and take one, but I was nothing special. Nothing like this. I'm so much stronger and tougher now, even before the new shapes. How did you survive your change if it didn't make you stronger? Wasn't something about to kill you?" Maja looks embarrassed as she realizes she's just issued a barrage of personal questions to someone who doesn't even know her name, "I'm Maja, by the way. I'm sorry I didn't give you my name last night."

Last edited:
Thallus took a step backwards with wide eyes from Maja's line of questions. It wasn't often women wanted to know anything about himself, typically where places were or the courtesy among daily life like shoping and such. "It's nice to meet you Maja... but I would not say my exaltation was significant, meaningful or remarkable. It was in a library while I was in the middle of reading three large tomes about the First age, the wars and exaltations of Solar, Lunars and Dragonblooded." He hesitated to reveal more, but with a deep breathe he continued. "The skills that I had gained and developed are more towards a setting in a library. I copied the map that I have from an actual map. Completely identical to the original except that it's in my journal. I do have a single skill with the bow, but it's more hitting something, typically the beasts I hunt, that's impossible to hit with regular technique."

Maja looks slightly taken aback, "In a library, reading?" Her expression sours, "I'd take reading in a library over being beaten within an inch of my life, and I hate reading." "I guess that's why mine didn't happen in a library," she observes ruefully. She considers what Thallus has said, and glances at Bard and Kuaidao, "So... your kind of change makes you peerless at your job. Bard is a peerless musician, Kuaidao is a peerless soldier, you're a peerless... scribe?" She looks at Rivers and Spider, and then down at herself, "And our change... uh... well I have no idea what our change does. Lets us change shape. Makes us stronger, clearly. Maybe we're here to protect you? I don't know why we need an amazing musician or scribe to save the world, but I'm getting the impression there's some kind of plan here, and I'm not letting you die if I can help it."

Rivers gives a quiet nod at Melinda's explanation. However, still unable to quite accept the idea that Melinda and her faction had solely altruistic intentions towards she and her new friends, she began developing a theory in her mind that this potentially had more to do with factional disputes among these bronze and gold factions rather than said nebulous threat on the horizon.

Listening to Thallus demeritize his own personal value, she could not stop herself from barging in to the conversation.
"Strength may lie much deeper than muscle and bone. The gods of the heavens have chosen us because they have seen something in us that this world needs. The mements of their noticing us may differ, but no matter the situation it is no less portentous. I myself met the Moon in a mere hole in the ground, where she gave me the power to get out. I am sure your purpose will become clear in short order during these troubling times. Destiny always intervenes"
She sai with a sage nod, and put a slender tattooed hand on his shoulder. "My name, by the way, is Twin Rivers Entwined. A name given to me in the hope that i would be a crossroads, someone who could guide man as well as spirit to unity. It is an honour to make your acquaintance."

I would like to attempt an inspire action to make Thallus feel come confidence and maybe a little more hope for what is in store

I use Charismatic Lunar Trick to get double 9's and also get 3 extra dice from pulling on my defining principle of "Guiding the Strong to also be Worthy". Also use some exellency, adding manipulation on top on my charisma to represent me downplaying my own visitation to prove a point.

So, there's another threat to Creation from outside its borders. And we're needed to stop it, otherwise unless the Scarlet Empress returns, or some other Dynast figures out the Imperial Manse, the world as we know it is doomed.

As for Melinda, she's one of those Sidereal Exalted that Ulfric told me about. Well, I don't think I can completely trust her just yet, seeing as she's still a stranger to me, no matter how many times she's supposedly befriended my past lives. On the other hand, she did bring us all together and help us escape from the Wyld Hunt in Sijan. Can't imagine why she'd do that if she's an enemy of ours.

Should've figured that she's not going to tell us everything. Still, I suppose it would be a bit hypocritical to expect her to trust us with all her secrets when I'm not yet entirely sure I can trust her.

---

Kuaidao would let the others talk for a bit, before suddenly clearing his throat in a manner designed to get attention.

"I agree with Rivers in that there can be more to strength besides physical ability, but on the subject of the future, I think you're jumping to conclusions a bit." he said, looking at both Maja and Thallus. "As far as I recall, there's been nothing said that indicates one of us will have to sacrifice themselves to stop whatever's coming, just that according to the Gold Faction of the Sidereals, the Celestial Exalted will be needed to stop it. For all we know, that's simply because we're the most powerful of the Exalted, granted powers from the greatest of the Incarnae to protect and oversee Creation, and therefore the ones with the best chances."

He then looked at Bard. "I get why you don't entirely trust Melinda here. But at the same time, she's hardly asking much of us at the moment. She's pointed out that we need to get stronger, which is true, even if there isn't some grim danger looming over the horizon. This isn't an entirely safe world, even for our kind, and we'll have a better chance of surviving and prospering if we can gather resources, allies and artifacts. She and Thallus's partial map have offered us a lead related to the latter of those things. At the very least, we can follow it up, and see if it's worthwhile."

Melinda lets out a aggravated snort. "Everyone has secrets, even you. You wish to hear one of mine? When I was twelve, I pushed my brother down the stairs and blamed it on the dog. I've never told anyone about that before. I do promise to do everything in my power to help you get to the location on that map," she points over at the bag that Thallus has, "And get the artifacts that are due to you by your divine right. After that, it is up to you what you wish to do, but I hope that you will see the threat to Creation and step forward to do something about it, instead of just sitting aside and letting the world burn at the hands of whatever it is out there that is coming."

She looks out at the passing riverbank once more, then says, "If there are any other specific questions I can help you with, I will give you all the information I can. What can I tell you?"

I knew I forgot to add something. The Read Intentions gives you the feeling that Melinda is being mostly open and genuine with her actions, and is not keeping any harmful secrets from you.

If that story's true and not your idea of a joke, it better not have been a long flight of stairs, Melinda, thought Kuaidao, before he got the disapproving look off his face. The Sidereal looked and sounded like she was in a bad mood, and he thought it prudent not to add to it.

"You can rest assured that whatever threatens Creation, I'll fight to stop it. And not just because my own survival might depend on it." Kuaidao said. "I spent my entire life thinking that the Scarlet Empire was the best thing for this world, but it turned out to just be a stopgap, and one made of lies, no less."

"As for questions...well I'd say given the circumstances you've told us as much as can be expected." he said, choosing to give her the benefit of the doubt regarding what she might or might not know about the manse and the artifacts within. "Still though, I wouldn't mind knowing more about the area we'll have to go through in order to reach this manse. Where are we going? What creatures or foes are we likely to fight along the way? And what factions might we encounter? Assuming you know about these things, of course."

It was the typical mindset of a strategist, wanting to know as much as possible about the area he was going to be sending his forces into.

Bard twiddled with his mustache while he listened to Kuaidoa and then Melinda. And by then end. He felt a bit more satisfied. And gave his fellow solar a nod.

"You know well what I mean, Melinda, regarding keeping secrets. Let me clarify when I say that I'm not asking for the a schoolyard lesson on all the things I do not know about the universe. But rather, a desire for transparency without needing to worry about what is being kept in the shadows. We need not the suspicion that that would breed. That you will be forthright and not take the 'you are on a need to know basis' approach. " He explained.

While she seemed mostly sincere about her cause. 'Mostly' wasn't 'Entirely'. While he didn't feel that she was to cause them harm... he would keep an eye on her.

"While I would love to hear stories about our past lives, and our relationships with you... there are more pressing matters. Such as how secure is this cache of artifacts?" He asked.

"In tavern in which you contacted me and Spider, there was a man there with an artifact from Wranglers Knob. Bragging about there being lots there. The Wyld Hunt that was chasing us would have surely found him and interrogated him by now. If they arent on their way there right now then I'll debarnacle a ship that just had ten keelhauls in a row."

"And for danger to creation, I shall not rest on my laurels. I was able to stop a darkness that threatened to consume my island. And I can not in my right mind let others be subjected to a similar fate."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back