• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial by Fire - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
"One more question." said Kuaidao, who was liking the idea of recruiting more Celestial Exalted to their cause, but mindful that Garrett and Gideon might not be inclined to automatically join up with them, given how corrupt the Solars had become in the last days of the First Age.

"TARU, what can you tell us about these two prior to and during the Usurpation? How did they behave during those days?"

Essence: 2
Personal Essence: 16/16
Peripheral Essence: 30/40

Committed Essence: 10

Willpower: 5
Join Battle: 7 dice
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks
Guardian Host (Orichalcum & White Jade Daiklave): 14 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 15 Damage, Overwhelming 4 (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4) (Lethal, Melee, Chopping)
Straight Sword: 13 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 12 Damage, Overwhelming 2 (+2 Accuracy +9 Damage, +1 Defense, +2 Overwhelming) (Lethal, Melee, Balanced)

Actions
Rush: 10
Disengage: 8

Evasion 4, Parry 7
Soak/Hardness: 11/7 (Dauntless, Soak +8, Mobility Penalty -1, Hardness +7, Attune 5)

TARU looks over at Kuaidao and says, "Noble Exalt, Admiral Garret has always been a model officer of the Deliberative and has served in the Sky Navy for hundreds of years. Her subordinates have always been very loyal to her, right up to the end when the mutiny was attempted. I have had less personal contact with Gideon, since he does not come to the Titan very often, but when he has been here, his loyalty to the Admiral has been second to none."

Rory points over at the withered body seated in the central control throne. "What about that one? Who was that?"

TARU replies, "That was the Commander of the Titan, an Air Aspect Dragon Blood named Marshal Tan. He was one of the few officers of the Titan that remained loyal to the Admiral during the mutiny, and he fought to keep Admiral Garret safe. His presence has been sorely missed here for many years."

Melinda looks over at the rest of the team from her position at the terminal she is at, and says, "Well, according to the station logs written by what appears to be the second in command says something a bit different. Sub-Commander Tameron of the Deliberative Sky Navy says in her logs that the Admiral had been growing unstable, more hostile and controlling of the actions of the crew around her. She even ordered the destruction of a small city for 'Actions in violation of her will and the will of the Deliberative', killing nearly fifty thousand people."

"When the order to overthrow the Solars was sent out, a massive battle was fought here between the mutineers and those that were still loyal to the Admiral. Thousands of lives were lost in the initial conflict, and the rest were sealed inside the Titan until they were finally wiped out by the automated defenses. Her last entry here indicates that she is about to try to lead another effort to breach the command center and stop the Admiral with a handful of the remaining soldiers that are a part of the mutiny with her. There is nothing more after that."

Rory lets out a low whistle, looking troubled. "This admiral destroyed a city? Because they didn't listen to her? That doesn't sound very promising to me."

The Sidereal nods. "I'm still looking at records of those last days, but I am thinking that if we can avoid it, we should not revive this Admiral Garret until we are certain we can keep her under control."

The big man says, "I can get behind that. But what of this guy, Gideon? What do we do about him?"

Spider walks around to stand next to Melinda as she continues her research on the terminal, leaning over to be nosy at what is coming up on the screen. "If this Solar lady is nuts, we really don't need her running around getting in the way. But this other fellow on the ground might be ok, and he can give us a head start on how to run this place. Maybe we can risk trying to wake him up."

Maja pointedly does not scowl at Tah-Rue after Melinda mentions all the bloody details the Spirit omitted, but she does grasp Kuaidao's hand tightly. She had suspicions, but now it's quite obvious Tah-Rue cannot be trusted. Only a slight tremor in her voice betrays her fear, "We killed those evil Chosen slaughtering a small village on sight. This woman didn't slaughter a village, she... fifty thousand... that's... she slaughtered a huge city. I don't think I've ever even visited a city that large. And this guy on the floor, his loyalty to city-killer was second to none. He saved her. We should leave before we accidentally wake either of them."

Without speaking, she subtly draws her index finger across her throat in what appears to be a nervous gesture, but flawlessly communicates to Spider and Kuaidao: "We shouldn't be discussing whether to wake them up, we should be discussing whether to kill them before they can ever wake up. I don't want to say it out loud, because I'm afraid Tah-Rue might try to stop us." The fortress defences killed everyone who tried to stop her. Tah-Rue is the Spirit of the fortress. I need to get Kuaidao out of here.

She gives Kuaidao an imploring look and tugs at his hand, silently communicating, "It's not safe here. Let's go."

"I...Maja does make a good point." Kuaidao admitted, though for the moment he opted to remain in the room and hear what the others had to say. "Even if we can justify calling on the help of these two, how can we be sure they'll be willing to provide it?"

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks
Guardian Host (Orichalcum & White Jade Daiklave): 14 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 15 Damage, Overwhelming 4 (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4) (Lethal, Melee, Chopping)
Straight Sword: 13 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 12 Damage, Overwhelming 2 (+2 Accuracy +9 Damage, +1 Defense, +2 Overwhelming) (Lethal, Melee, Balanced)

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7
Soak/Hardness: 11/7 (Dauntless, Soak +8, Mobility Penalty -1, Hardness +7, Attune 5)

Spider nods at Maja, trying to show that she has gotten at least some of the unspoken message from her. "If we wake up the guy and he's not going to cooperate, its all of us against him. I doubt that he can take us all on and win. Then we only have to deal with blondie in the casket there." Her hand goes to the hilt of one of her swords, indicating her willingness to take extreme action to ensure their own safety against a couple of mad Exalts.

As the group is pondering your options, there is a sudden flicker of lights on the golden sarcophagus. Rory says, "Is that thing supposed to do that?"

Melinda turns from the terminal she is at and looks, then says, "No. It is on a revival cycle, and will soon open up and we'll have this Exalt to deal with! What the hell? TARU? Did you do this?"

The spirit bobs in the air. "Yes, Noble Exalt. The Admiral left explicit orders that when Solars once more stand in the command center that she should be revived. She should be fully awake and aware in less than two minutes. Is there a problem?"

Melinda says, "I order you to reverse the revival process and return Admiral Garret to full sleep mode."

TARU responds with, "Unfortunately, while I am tasked to obey the orders of the Exalted, the Admiral's commands take precedence, and I must follow them. I am sorry for any amount of concern you may be feeling right now, Noble Exalt, but my hands are tied."

Rory begins to swear. "Two minutes is not a lot of time to make a getaway if we were so inclined to do so. There must be a decision made. What do we do about this woman? If we wait too long, it will give her a chance to act against us!"

Melinda looks uneasy. "It is possible that whatever insanity that she has suffered in the past will have faded, but somehow I doubt it. I would suggest that we take a chance and see what her mental state is before we summarily execute her, but I am hardly in any position to do much to stop her. My Essence hasn't yet fully recovered from unlocking the door, so in a fight, I will be somewhat hampered."

She stands up and stretches, popping her neck and back. "Get ready, my friends. We don't have much time."

Last edited:
Expecting that they are about to be in a fight, Spider decides to stack the deck a bit by using some of her stored power to shift into her warform, feeling her spider legs stretch out and her skin harden up to provide her with extra armor.
Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
- 3 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
I
Willpower: 8 / 7
Personal: 17
Peripheral: 42 / 32 / 31
Committed: 10
Join Battle: 11 +3i successes (+5i for 3m with Sinuous Striking Grace)

Parry: 6 - +1 from the Hundred Rings
Evasion: 4
Resolve: 4
Guile: 1

Natural Soak: +5 - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone
Armored Soak: +8, Hardness +7 - +2 Soak, +1 Hardness from Argent Handshake Mien
Total Soak: +13L - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone, +4 from DBT

Weapon Damage
Paired Moonsilver Short Daiklaves
Attunement: 5m; Type: Light (+5 ACC, +10 DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 4)
Tags: Lethal, Melee, Balanced
Hearthstone slot(s): 2

The Hundred Rings of Hadam-Ul (Moonsilver Dire Chain - Artifact 3)
Attunement: 5m (3m); Type: Medium (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4)
Tags: Bashing, Disarming, Flexible, Grappling,
Martial Arts, Reaching

Armor
Unison - Moonsilver Reinforced Buff Jacket

Ice runs through Maja's veins and fear grips her heart. What have I done? They never should have come here, walking in so brazenly without carefully examining every step. This woman killed fifty thousand people, and wields the power of the Sun. Sure, Maja had killed people, but they were Realm soldiers. They... deserved it. Probably. She didn't want to think about it. City-killer, though, she killed a whole city. A whole city couldn't possibly have deserved it. She's monstrous, no better than Icewalkers, Raksha, or the hungry dead. Tah-Rue said she was at least hundreds of years old. If Maja has learned this much about how to use her powers in months, what could City-Killer do with hundreds of years to practice with power like Kuaidao's? What if Kuaidao can't kill her? What if - what if she -

Spider's transformation distracts her from a dark and terrifying train of thought, and transmutes her fear to rage. Her pack is preparing for violence. Now this is a hunt, their prey a terrifying predator. Maybe she can still stop this. Maybe she can buy time for Kuaidao to escape. Her fangs and claws extend, her tails burst forth, her muscles surge, and she's moving before her terror can slow her, leaping onto the sarcophagus to drive her claws again and again into the glass plate with a roar of unbridled fury, trying to smash through to grab City-Killer by the neck before the magic can finish waking her. Before she can threaten Kuaidao, or anyone else, ever again.

Kuaidao looked at Spider and Maja transforming, and made a decision quickly.

"You're not the only one who might be reluctant to let a loved one die." he said to Maja, while drawing Guardian Host. "Besides, if Garrett does turn out to be hostile, we'll have a better chance of winning if we work together."

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7

Random Word Random Word Go ahead and give me an attack roll to see how much damage you do to the sarcophagus, including any Charms you activate to boost your damage.

[I'm going to roll this as a feat of demolition, because the dice pools are almost identical except for weapon accuracy, and I don't really see why weapon accuracy would make Maja any better at hitting a big magic glass plate]

DBT 5m1wp, Surging Thew Technique for 3m, 5m Strength Excellency
22/42 peripheral essence remaining
Effective Strength rating is 5 + 2 DBT + 1 STT = 8 and if she is successful she succeeds on the feat of demolition instantly if possible, and otherwise at a dramatically accelerated rate
Strength 5 + Athletics 3 + DBT 5 + Str Ex 5 + Stunt 2 = 20 dice; 10 hits

Maja's claws tear against the metal and glass, causing an awful sound just before the glass observation window breaks under the force of your blows. A dreadful amount of cold air comes whooshing out, almost bad enough to make your fingers go numb but not quite. The Solar inside the chamber lets out a bit of a cough and her eyelids flutter, showing that she's starting to wake up.

Rory draws his heavy blade from his back and says, "Aye. It's my turn now. Let me have a go of it before this madwoman comes to." He steps forward to stand next to the chamber, then lets out a startled yelp as his leg is suddenly grabbed by the man seated on the floor next to it. The formerly sleeping Lunar is blinking the sleep from his eyes as he struggles to get to his feet, and he mumbles out something in Old Realm while shaking his head. He seems to be trying to stop Rory from using his sword on the Solar woman in the sarcophagus.

What do you do now?

Spider immediately pulls her twin blades out and steps forward to the now moving Lunar as he gets to his feet. Pointing a blade at him, she snaps out, "Back off! You get away from him and that golden coffin right now! If you don't, you will be struck down, and no one wants that now, do we?"
Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
I

Total Soak: +13L - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone, +4 from DBT

Weapon Damage

Martial Arts, Reaching

Armor

"Well, at least we'll have this fortress to show for our efforts." said Kuaidao, as he readied himself for battle against two hostile Celestial Exalted.

[3 successes.]

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7

Rolling Join Battle

Total of 12i
Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
I

Weapon Damage

Martial Arts, Reaching

Armor

Maja barely feels the cold as the glass shatters around her descending claws, but still she falters. Could she really do this? Killing those soldiers had been one thing. They were so far away, and they were trying to kill Kuaidao. Oh, and her, too. This one was right here, definitely looked like a person, like a great hero out of legend, and was asleep no less. As the muscles of City-killer's eyelids twitch with the barest hint of an incipient flutter Maja steels herself. She has to do this. This was no hero, this was City-killer. As bad as a Raksha, or those mad Chosen in the village. She strikes, fangs bared, her anima flaring around her, a fierce storm of crimson snow glistening in silver flame.

JB, 10m Wits + Perception Excellency.

Wits 5 + Awareness 3 + Excellency 10 + Stunt 2 = 20; 13 hits, +3 = 16i

Random Word Random Word is up first with Maja

Current Initiative Order
Round 1
16 - Maja <====
12 - Spider
11- Lunar
10 - Rory
8 - Melinda
6 - Kuaidao
3 - Solar

As rage seizes Maja's heart, Maja seizes City-killer's throat with terrifying force in one clawed hand before she can draw her first breath in centuries, lifts her, then slams her down into her sarcophagus with force fit to shatter stone again and again. She will count her remaining heartbeats in this age on one hand, or every one could be the end of another innocent soul.

Grapple Gambit
Grizzly Bear Embrace, 2m (Add attack roll net successes to Gambit and Control roll, max Strength, currently 7)
Strength Excellency 3m

Decisive Attack Roll: Strength 5 + Brawl 3 + Grappling 1 + Stunt 2 + Excellency 3 = 14; 9 hits vs Defence 0
Gambit Roll: Previous Successes (GBE) 9 + Initiative 16 = 27 - this roll requires only 2 hits, so I'm not even bothering to roll it
Control Roll: Attack Roll Successes (GBE) 9 + Strength 5 + Brawl 3 + Grappling 1 + Stunt 2 = 20; only 5 hits (The Admiral gets to roll Strength + Martial Arts/Brawl and subtract her hits from my successes)
Decisive Throw: Control Roll Successes 5 + Initiative 16 = 21; 9 Bashing Damage

Last edited:
As Maja smashes the Solar's head into the back of the sarcophagus, not only does she get rattled a bit, this does have the effect of snapping her fully awake, and now she is glaring up at Maja with rage in her eyes.

Psychie Psychie is up with Spider

Current Initiative Order
Round 1
16 - Maja
12 - Spider <====
11- Lunar
10 - Rory
8 - Melinda
6 - Kuaidao
3 - Solar

Round 2
3 - Maja

Not knowing the status of Maja's opponent in the golden coffin, Spider decides to focus her attention on the Lunar Exalt outside. She lunges forward with her blades in hand, swinging both high and low to stagger the other Lunar and keep him off balance and set him up to be put down by the others.
Deadly Beastman Transformation is in Effect

Using her Dex Excellency, Divine Predator Strike and Unerring Fang Technique to perform a Withering Attack on the Lunar.
Striking with unmatched speed and grace, the Lunar embodies the perfect warrior. When she adds a full Excellency to a withering attack roll, she adds a non-Charm success, and rolls a non-Charm die for every 10.

Dice Pool: Dex 5 + Melee 5 + Specialty 1 + Accuracy 5 + stunt 2 + Excellency 5 = 23 dice
12 successes to hit

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
I

Peripheral: 42 / 32 / 23

Weapon Damage

Martial Arts, Reaching

Armor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back