• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial by Fire - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Rolling.

7i damage, giving me +13i and my earlier Charm lets me make a reflexive Decisive attack. I'm somewhat confused with the wording of the Charm, though. It sounds like I don't roll my full initiative pool, but just one for the Onslaught penalty. Am I reading that right?

The Lunar’s predatory instincts seize on a flaw in her prey’s defense, striking with lightning speed. She makes an attack with (higher of Essence or 3) bonus dice. If this crashes her target or deals 3+ decisive damage, she reflexively makes a decisive attack against him. She rolls damage equal to the target’s current onslaught penalty — counting onslaught inflicted by the initial attack (but not by itself) — and ignores Hardness. This doesn’t include the Lunar’s Initiative or reset it.

Last edited:
Sounds about right. Go ahead and roll your 1 die for the penalty, and on your next round you will have a bunch of dice to roll for a Decisive attack.

Spider manages to knock Thok off its feet and down to one knee, its head reeling. It lets out an angry bellow of, "THOK!" before your second strike is turned away by the thickness of his skin and layers of hide and armor.

Rory takes his greatsword and hammers down on the beastman with a savage swing, flattening the beast to the ground, leaving it stunned.

jaydude jaydude is up with Kuaidao

Round 6
8 - [Spider]
4 - [Rory]
3 - Kuaidao <====
2 - Thok -2 health levels

Round 7
21 - Spider
13 - Rory
0 - Thok - Crashed, -2 health levels

Helping gang up on a prone opponent hardly seemed fair to Kuaidao, but there was much more than just his personal honour at stake here. Thus, he moved to the side of the now-downed Thok, raised his daiklave, and chopped at the raksha's abdomen.

[Withering Chopping Attack. Thok's Soak is 20, and his DV is presumably down to 1, owing to Onslaught penalties and the penalty from being knocked prone. Claiming one-point stunt, giving me 16 dice for the attack roll.]

Essence: 2
Personal Essence: 5/16
Peripheral Essence: 30/40
Anima: Burning

Committed Essence: 10

Willpower: 4/5
Join Battle: 7 dice
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks
Guardian Host (Orichalcum & White Jade Daiklave): 14 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 15 Damage, Overwhelming 4 (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4) (Lethal, Melee, Chopping)
Straight Sword: 13 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 12 Damage, Overwhelming 2 (+2 Accuracy +9 Damage, +1 Defense, +2 Overwhelming) (Lethal, Melee, Balanced)

Actions
Rush: 10
Disengage: 8

Evasion 4, Parry 7
Soak/Hardness: 11/7 (Dauntless, Soak +8, Mobility Penalty -1, Hardness +7, Attune 5)

Yep, you nailed him with six successes. Go ahead and roll your damage.

Six threshold successes gives me 26 raw damage (Bonuses from ISE and Chopping Attack). Thok's Soak of 20 brings this down to six dice.

BEST. DAMAGE ROLL. EVARR. (10 successes)

Awesome roll!

Thok lets out a loud grunt as Kuaidao hits him, making his eyes bug out of his head as he gasps for breath.

Start of new round, and I don't see Thok living much longer.

Psychie Psychie is up with Spider

Round 7
21 - Spider <====
14 - Kuaidao
13 - Rory
0 - Thok - Crashed, -2 health levels

With a loud cry, Spider swings her swords down at the monster, hoping to end its life with one massive blow.
Putting another 2m in for Ferocious Biting Tooth to add two extra dice to my Decisive attack.

5 successes to hit. Rolling damage: 4L. Crappy roll for all those dice.

DBT and Ardent Handshake Mein active

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
- 3 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
I

Willpower: 8 / 6

Personal: 17 / 17
Peripheral: 42 / 32 / 11
Committed: 10

Join Battle: 11 +3i successes (+5i for 3m with Sinuous Striking Grace)

Parry: 6 - +1 from the Hundred Rings
Evasion: 4
Resolve: 4
Guile: 1

Natural Soak: +5 - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone
Armored Soak: +8, Hardness +7 - +2 Soak, +1 Hardness from Argent Handshake Mien
Total Soak: +13L - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone, +4 from DBT

Weapon Damage
Paired Moonsilver Short Daiklaves
Attunement: 5m; Type: Light (+5 ACC, +10 DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 4)
Tags: Lethal, Melee, Balanced
Hearthstone slot(s): 2

The Hundred Rings of Hadam-Ul (Moonsilver Dire Chain - Artifact 3)
Attunement: 5m (3m); Type: Medium (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4)
Tags: Bashing, Disarming, Flexible, Grappling,
Martial Arts, Reaching
Hearthstone slot(s): 2

Armor
Unison - Moonsilver Reinforced Buff Jacket

The skin of the beastman is thicker than Spider had expected, and he's able to survive the hit even with the injury he's just received. His DV is now a 2 from his wound penalties.

jaydude jaydude is up

Round 7
21 - [Spider]
14 - Kuaidao <====
13 - Rory
0 - Thok - Crashed, -6 health levels

Round 8
3 - Spider

Personal feelings regarding honour aside, Kuaidao wasn't one for letting Fae live. He'd spare Thok if he tried to surrender - for pragmatism's sake if nothing else - but he wasn't going to encourage the raksha towards that option.

He moved to Thok's head and raised Guardian Host aloft, hoping that this time he could cleave through his foe's skull.

[Decisive Chopping Attack, reducing Thok's Hardness by 2. Claiming one-point stunt to use 13 dice on the Attack Roll.

Five successes. Seven successes on Damage Roll.]

Personal Essence: 10/16

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks
Guardian Host (Orichalcum & White Jade Daiklave): 14 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 15 Damage, Overwhelming 4 (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4) (Lethal, Melee, Chopping)
Straight Sword: 13 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 12 Damage, Overwhelming 2 (+2 Accuracy +9 Damage, +1 Defense, +2 Overwhelming) (Lethal, Melee, Balanced)

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7
Soak/Hardness: 11/7 (Dauntless, Soak +8, Mobility Penalty -1, Hardness +7, Attune 5)

Counting the two levels previously done by Spider that were just rolled, Kuaidao's massive blow finishes off the huge beastman with a bloody decapitation, causing the hundreds of exultant watchers to let out a loud cheer.

The Guardian comes walking out to the three on the field, raising his arms to call for silence. In a mighty voice, he says, "A flawless victory for the challengers, settled by lawful combat in the arena." His loud voice is drowned out by the thunderous roar from the audience that takes several long moments to quiet down once more.

As the cheering slowly dies down, the one Fae known as the Speaker comes out, being careful to walk around the growing pools of blood around the three dead bodies. Before he can speak, the Guardian says, "Remember, the terms of the Valley still hold; no blood will be shed out of trial by combat, and that rule is enforced by me personally. Am I understood?"

With a distasteful nod, the Speaker says, "Well. It would seem that the three of you are the victors. As agreed, our culling of the tribes will end. But remember there is always a cost to victory that is often overlooked."

Maja watches enraptured as the Fae are cut down. Her anima hasn't even had a chance to cool, silver and gold flames intertwining as she dashes into the arena and all but leaps into Kuaidao's arms, beaming and breathless, "Beautiful. Watching you move. Watching them get what they deserve. It was so fast, though! You didn't even break a sweat. I can fix that later." She wraps her arms around his neck and kisses him hungrily before turning fix the Speaker with a baleful gaze without releasing Kuaidao. Much as it tries to conceal it, she has the senses of a peerless predator. She can see the subtle tremble of the lip, the dilation of the pupil, and paling of the face, all swiftly banished by a masterful manipulator, but above all she can smell its fear.

The light of the intermingled silver and gold flames rises to an almost painful intensity, the shadows cast impossibly dark and twisting into monstrous and vengeful forms, her quiet certitude carrying clearly to every corner of the room, heard as if she speaks from directly behind the listener, "Remember this victory was effortless and as yet incomplete. You have only begun to learn the cost of your ancient victory. I would savour these precious moments under the protection of the Guardian, had I the misfortune to be you."

Maja is taking a Threaten action to raise the Minor tie of Fear to Major, citing the evidence of Kuaidao, Spider, and Rory effortlessly cutting down the Speaker's champions, leveraging that minor tie of Fear to reduce his Resolve by 1.

Feral Smile Tactic 3m, Myriad Graces Appeal 3m, Appearance+Perception Excellency 11m for a total of 17m Peripheral.

Appearance 6 + Presence 4 + Excellency 11 + Stunt 2 + Appearance Bonus 4 (Appearance 11 - Speaker's Resolve of 7) = 27 dice, doubling 9s. 11 hits. Not a great roll, but better than last time.

Last edited:
The Dawn supposed he should have expected such a thing, as he found himself embraced and kissed by Maja. He certainly wasn't going to complain about it though, and he most certainly enjoyed hearing her threaten the Speaker afterwards.

Deciding to help out, he released her with one arm so that he could turn and address the Speaker. "Heed her warning. The Solars have returned, and the time when you and your ilk could run roughshod over this world is over."

[Doing the same thing as Random/Maja, because what the hey. Base roll (Cha + Pre) is six dice, a one-point stunt gives me two bonus dice, and the Dawn Caste Effect and Tiger's Dread Symmetry each give me a single bonus dice (with the latter allowing me to reroll three non-successes). Finally, will spend 6m Personal Essence on Kuaidao's Presence Excellency. That's 16 dice in all. 9 successes.]
Personal Essence: 4/16

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7

Spider doesn't even try to hide the grin she has on her face at the sight of the Fae jackass getting his 'champions' kicked across the field, and now he's got Maja and Kuaidao putting a real scare of the Celestial Exalted into him. With a playful wave, she says, "Now, don't go away mad; just go away!" Then she adds to the insult with a peal of laughter as the Speaker hurries off before he pisses himself.

Looking over at the others, she says, "Sooooo, I guess that means we done good, right? We can start to try and unite the clans under one roof now and bring the fight over to these Deathlords that are trying to make Creation their own?"

Spider doesn't even try to hide the grin she has on her face at the sight of the Fae jackass getting his 'champions' kicked across the field, and now he's got Maja and Kuaidao putting a real scare of the Celestial Exalted into him. With a playful wave, she says, "Now, don't go away mad; just go away!" Then she adds to the insult with a peal of laughter as the Speaker hurries off before he pisses himself.

Looking over at the others, she says, "Sooooo, I guess that means we done good, right? We can start to try and unite the clans under one roof now and bring the fight over to these Deathlords that are trying to make Creation their own?"

Kuaidao turned to look at Spider and nodded. "I should hope so!" He called out to her. Now that this business with the Fae was - hopefully - put to rest, he wanted to turn his attention to preparing this region for the attack of the dead.

With the Fae champions now defeated and the few Fae here making a rapid withdraw, the people here in the valley are all in high spirits and are quite ready to listen to your pitch for a unified front against the Deathlord army. The problem is, despite your victory, the suspicious nature of the northerners still looks at your Circle as outsiders (all except for Rory, of course), and it will not be a simple thing to get them to look to you as a bunch of leaders. At least the victory in the arena has gotten the various clans to be willing to hear you out instead of just immediately dismissing you as a bunch of outlanders that know nothing.

It takes a lot of back and forth negotiating to get every leader at the table to listen, but finally it happens that everyone is ready to talk.

In the middle of one of your meetings with the other leaders that a runner bursts into the room. "There are walking dead approaching the valley!"

Rory immediately asks, "How many?"

The runner says, "Perhaps a hundred, all on foot except for one in the lead on a horse."

Rory grunts. "The Deathlords have to know that only one hundred soldiers cannot hope to stop us. This must be something more than an attack."

The mesenger continues with, "But that's not all! They have one of the flags of safe passage! It looks like they wish to talk."

The large Solar frowns, then says, "Then by our agreement with the Guardian, they must be allowed in the valley unless they make the first move to attack us here." He turns to look at Kuaidao and the rest of the Circle and says, "It looks like we have a chance to hear a message from our foes. If I don't miss my bet, it will be along the lines of 'surrender and we'll treat you as living slaves; fight and you will be raised as ghosts to be our slaves anyways'."

What do you do now? Do you wait for the small force to arrive, or do you go out to meet them?

"I say we - that is to say, a group of us Exalts - go out and meet them, and then see them off. It doesn't make much sense for us to wait and let them get a lay of the land." said Kuaidao, confident that if this undead group were to try anything, a collection of Solars and Lunars would be able to handle it.

Spider muses, "One possible Exalt with what looks to be an honor guard of dead. I don't see a threat here to the lot of us, even if everything goes bad. If you want to talk outside the Valley, then we should move out soon before these dead people arrive. Lets go."

A childhood in the minor nobility instilled in Maja the essential skill of sitting up and looking politely attentive through the most boring of events while the mind was distinctly elsewhere, a talent she puts to excellent use during the negotiations. She thinks about absolutely anything except a bunch of stupid Icewalkers squabbling over whether or not to be eaten by hungry dead. Some people could argue about anything.

And speak of the dead! She sits up and takes notice - for real this time - when the messenger delivers their report. Was she going to see Spider and Kuaidao tear through the hungry dead as effortlessly as they had the fae? She certainly hoped so. The monsters deserved it. Whatever happened it was going to be miles more exciting than this interminable meeting. "Yes! Let's!"

As a group, the Circle heads out in the direction of the small force of the dead. From a distance, you can see that the bulk of the force is on foot, walking along behind a figure on horseback in a nice, neat formation, and just as reported, there is a flagbearer carrying a 'free passage' banner that you have seen from the clans.

Do you try to approach using stealth, or do you just walk up to them?

"I say we walk up to them. Can't see much point in trying to sneak around them right now." said Kuaidao.

Out of instinct however, he pulled out the scroll he'd acquired following the battle at Rory's village, committing Essence to it so that he could check the surrounding environments. He wouldn't have put it past the undead to have some sort of ambush planned.

Personal Essence: 16/16
Peripheral Essence: 25/40

Committed Essence: 15 (Guardian Host + Dauntless + Scroll)

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7

When you pull the magic map out, unfurl it and put your Essence into it, you quickly see the force of the dead advancing in neat columns. At the head of the formation, you see that the map is showing you that there are two figures that sparkle in the light, giving you the impression that they are special somehow, perhaps Exalted. You do know that only one of these figures are mounted; the rest of the force is on foot.

Looking out at the outer edge of the map, you do not see any other signs of potential encounters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back