• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial by Fire - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Spider's savage attack was much more than Berentram was expecting, knocking him back off balance. [He has been Crashed. Good roll.

Sparkling Moonlit Edge lets out a snarl as Spider attacks her ally, and so she turns on the Lunar with the frozen blade that she wields. She scores a total of 10 successes on her to hit roll. Psychie Psychie what is your DV?

Order of Initiative.
Round 2
9 - [Spider]
9 - Sparkling Moonlit Edge
7 - Berentram
6 - Kuaidao
5 - Rory
5 - Thok
0 - Berentram

Round 3
22 - Spider

With the speed of a striking viper, Edge's swing nearly takes Spider's head off, but you are just able to shift yourself out of the path of the blade.

jaydude jaydude is up

Order of Initiative.
Round 2
9 - [Spider]
9 - [Sparkling Moonlit Edge]
7 - Berentram
6 - Kuaidao <====
5 - Rory
5 - Thok
0 - Berentram

Round 3
19 - Spider
13 - Sparkling Moonlit Edge

Remembering Spider's earlier suggestion of bringing the Fae Champions down one at a time, Kuaidao focused his Essence, his pale-gold anima bursting forth in a magnificent aura of light as he came charging towards Beretram. With a yell, he swung the Guardian Host upwards at the Raksha once in cutting range, in a blow that would split a mortal in two.

Withering Attack on Beretram, spending 3m Peripheral Essence on Excellent Strike, and 4m Peripheral Essence on Melee Excellency. With a one-point stunt, this gives me one automatic success, 20 Attack Dice, and the ability to reroll ones.

Nine successes total. Since Beretram presumably has an Onslaught Penalty of 1 from Spider's previous attack, I'm going to claim three threshold successes.

I'm trying to follow the advice provided by Random Word Random Word for this battle, but the current step I'm on calls upon me to have around 11i. Seeing as I've only got about half of that, I'm going to try and build up my initiative first.
Essence: 2
Personal Essence: 16/16
Peripheral Essence: 22/40
Anima: Burning

Committed Essence: 10

Willpower: 5
Join Battle: 7 dice
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks
Guardian Host (Orichalcum & White Jade Daiklave): 14 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 15 Damage, Overwhelming 4 (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4) (Lethal, Melee, Chopping)
Straight Sword: 13 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 12 Damage, Overwhelming 2 (+2 Accuracy +9 Damage, +1 Defense, +2 Overwhelming) (Lethal, Melee, Balanced)

Actions
Rush: 10
Disengage: 8

Evasion 4, Parry 7
Soak/Hardness: 11/7 (Dauntless, Soak +8, Mobility Penalty -1, Hardness +7, Attune 5)

Last edited:
Kuaidao's Strength is 5 from the earlier use of Increasing Strength Exercise. With Guardian Host having a Damage Bonus of +12, and the three threshold successes from earlier, I presumably have eight damage dice left over once Beretram's Soak is subtracted.

4 successes, giving me 5 Initiative.

Kuaidao's attack keeps Berentram reeling, setting him up for a finishing blow from one of your Circle in the fight.

Rory lets out a deep belly laugh as he barrels forward, his daikave and shield shining in the sun. He pulls back with his blade to strike Berentram, but at the last moment, he shifts around to perform a shield bash that knocks Berentram flat on his back on the ground.

Thok roars, and charges up to swings its massive weapon at Rory, but the big Solar is able to shift his shield around just in time and takes the blow, barely buckling his knees under the force of the impact.

Berentram kicks himself back up to his feet, a look of rage on his face as he lunges out with his spear at Spider, hoping to skewer her. He manages to score 10 successes to hit. @pychie how do you wish to defend?

Order of Initiative.
Round 2
9 - [Spider]
9 - [Sparkling Moonlit Edge]
7 - Berentram
6 - [Kuaidao]
5 - [Rory]
5 - [Thok]
0 - Berentram <====

Round 3
19 - Spider
11 - Kuaidao
9 - Rory
5 - Thok

I'll put 4m into my Dex Excellency to boost my Parry DV to 8. Soak is 23.
DBT and Ardent Handshake Mein active

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
- 3 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
I

Willpower: 8 / 7

Personal: 17 / 17
Peripheral: 42 / 32 / 28
Committed: 10

Join Battle: 11 +3i successes (+5i for 3m with Sinuous Striking Grace)

Parry: 6 - +1 from the Hundred Rings
Evasion: 4
Resolve: 4
Guile: 1

Natural Soak: +5 - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone
Armored Soak: +8, Hardness +7 - +2 Soak, +1 Hardness from Argent Handshake Mien
Total Soak: +13L - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone, +4 from DBT

Weapon Damage
Paired Moonsilver Short Daiklaves
Attunement: 5m; Type: Light (+5 ACC, +10 DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 4)
Tags: Lethal, Melee, Balanced
Hearthstone slot(s): 2

The Hundred Rings of Hadam-Ul (Moonsilver Dire Chain - Artifact 3)
Attunement: 5m (3m); Type: Medium (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4)
Tags: Bashing, Disarming, Flexible, Grappling,
Martial Arts, Reaching

Armor
Unison - Moonsilver Reinforced Buff Jacket

The spear manages to weave its way through your defenses, but is turned away by the magic armor you are wearing.

Start of Round 3, and everyone gets 5m of Essence.

Psychie Psychie is up with Spider

Round 3
18 - Spider <====
11 - Kuaidao
9 - Rory
5 - Thok
2 - Berentram

Moving into position, Spider rears up with her twin blades and strikes hard, trying for a killing blow against the man with the spear.
Spending 2m on Ferocious Biting Tooth to add 2 dice to my Decisive attack and 5m on my Dex Excellency to boost my to-hit dice.

11 successes to hit, doing 7 Lethal to my target, assuming it hits.

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
I

Peripheral: 42 / 32 / 21

Total Soak: +13L - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone, +4 from DBT

Weapon Damage

Martial Arts, Reaching

Armor

Last edited by a moderator:
Spider's blades weave their way past the defense of the spear in Berentram's hands and bite deep into his chest, causing him to let out a startled gasp. His spear falls out of limp hands as he slowly collapses and lays bleeding in the dirt.

Sparkling Moonlit Edge's face contorts in rage at the sight, and immediately lunges at Spider. Her anger made her attack off balance, though, and Spider is able to easily block her sword strike. (rolled only 3 successes on all those dice. Jeez!)

jaydude jaydude is up with Kuaidao

Round 3
18 - [Spider]
13 - [Sparkling Moonlit Edge]
11 - Kuaidao <====
9 - Rory
5 - Thok
2 - Berentram Incapacitated

Round 4
3 - Spider

Kuaidao gave a grunt of satisfaction upon seeing the Fae spear-wielder go down. After seeing Moonlit Edge's Attack get turned away with ease, he grinned and leapt past the Fae Champion, the movement buoyed by his Essence. As he flew by, he swung at her with Guardian Host, counting on the momentum from his jump to add to the power of his blow. It was a similar principle to that of cavalry, he felt.

Decisive Attack on Sparkling Moonlit Edge, using Thunderbolt Attack Prana and Excellent Strike for a total cost of 7m Personal Essence and 1wp. Claiming a one-point stunt, this grants me 13 dice to roll with, as well as 1 automatic success, the ability to reroll 1s and double damage.

7 successes (8 if the Double 10's rule only stops applying to Decisive Attack Damage Rolls).
Personal Essence: 9/16
Peripheral Essence: 27/40

Willpower: 4/5
Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks
Guardian Host (Orichalcum & White Jade Daiklave): 14 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 15 Damage, Overwhelming 4 (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4) (Lethal, Melee, Chopping)
Straight Sword: 13 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 12 Damage, Overwhelming 2 (+2 Accuracy +9 Damage, +1 Defense, +2 Overwhelming) (Lethal, Melee, Balanced)

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7
Soak/Hardness: 11/7 (Dauntless, Soak +8, Mobility Penalty -1, Hardness +7, Attune 5)

You just barely hit with zero extra successes. Go ahead and roll you damage. Soak is only 8.

Rolling damage. Initiative 11. Also, my understanding is that Soak only applies to Withering Attacks; I'm using a Decisive Attack here.

5 successes, with Thunderbolt Attack Prana doubling this to 10.

[OOC I was not expecting to have you guys take out your Fae targets so easily! You're really doing a number on them!}

Kuaidao's blade swings down upon the head of the nimble woman, cutting deep into her head and spilling blood and gore across the field, obviously killing her instantly. There is no way that she could have survived that kind of blow.

Rory lets out a wicked laugh and turns on Thok, leveling off with a double handed swing of his daiklave. The beastman doesn't try very hard to move out of the way, and his thick hide and armor keep him from getting rattled from the blow.

In return, the four-armed thing swings back at Rory with its sword, striking the Solar and knocking him back several feet to land on his ass in the dirt.

20 - Thok
3 - Spider
3 - Kuaidao
0 - Rory - Crashed

Round 5 - Everyone gets back 5m of Essence

Seeing that Rory is struggling to get to his feet, Thok swings its massive sword at Kuaidao, aiming for a Decisive strike to take you out. It scores a total of 9 to hit; what defense do you wish to use?

jaydude jaydude

Calling upon his Essence and gripping Guardian Host's handle with both hands, Kuaidao moved to parry Thok's huge blade with his own weapon, grunting from the effort it took to redirect the force of such a heavy blow, but nevertheless sending it passing harmlessly by his body.

Claiming one-point stunt and spending 1m Personal Essence to bring Kuaidao's Parry up to 9. As for the current display of ownage, I'm largely just following the advice of Random Word Random Word here.
Personal Essence: 11/16
Peripheral Essence: 30/40

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7

The beastman seems surprised to see that Kuaidao has survived its attack. Probably the only time in its life that it has failed to kill its target when given the chance to do so.

Psychie Psychie is up

20 - [Thok]
3 - Spider <====
3 - Kuaidao
0 - Rory - Crashed

Round 6
17 - Thok

Luna spares Rory a quick glance to make sure he's not harmed before turning her attention to this Thok creature. Something tells me that this thing is going to take a lot of killing before it falls. But now, it is three on one, and I am quite willing to dish out the hurt on it! Maneuvering around, the Lunar positions herself close to Rory to help give him some cover as the big man gets back on his feet, then lashes out with her twin blades in an attempt to get her foe off balance and set herself up for a good finishing blow.
Spending 4m on Striking Mospid Method to reroll three failed dice on my Withering attack, and 2m on Ferocious Biting Tooth to add two to my Overwhelming on this attack since I suspect that its Soak is very high, and finally 5m on my Dex Excellency for my to-hit.

11 successes to hit

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
I

Peripheral: 42 / 32 / 15

Weapon Damage

Martial Arts, Reaching

Armor

Its DV is 4, and yes, its Soak is high at 20. Go ahead and roll your damage.

Hm. Lower soak and DV than I had expected, but I'm not complaining. Rolling my 9 dice.

4i damage, gaining 5i to my initiative track.

Thok has very thick skin and heavy pieces of patchwork armor on, so it manages to absorb most of the damage you are dishing out. But even with that going for it, Spider is one of the Chosen of Luna, and will not be denied.

jaydude jaydude is up with Kuaidao

20 - [Thok]
3 - [Spider]
3 - Kuaidao <====
0 - Rory - Crashed

Round 6
12 - Thok
8 - Spider

Moments after Spider had launched her own attack, Kuaidao followed up with one of his own, moving to Thok's side and chopping at the large humanoid's ribcage with another Essence-buoyed attack.

Withering Chopping Attack (Guardian Host is a reaver daiklave). Spending 3m Personal Essence on Excellent Strike, and spending another 5m on my Melee Excellency and claiming a one-point stunt to roll with 20 dice, reroll 1's and gain 1 auto success.

13 successes on the Attack roll. Thok's DV should be 3 due to Onslaught Penalty, so that's 10 threshold successes. With Kuaidao's Strength at 5 due to Increasing Strength Exercise, and medium artifact weapons having a damage bonus of +12, and the +3 raw damage from using a chopping attack, that gives him 30 raw damage, with Thok's Soak reducing this down to 10.

7 successes on Damage Roll. Assuming my calculations are correct, that puts Kuaidao's Initiative up to 11 and brings Thok's down to 7, in which case I'm going to use One Weapon, Two Blows to try and finish this.
Personal Essence: 3/16

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7

Last edited:
Thok lets out a heavy grunt as Kuaidao's blade slams into him, and he stumbles back a few steps, giving Rory a little extra space to be able to get back to his feet once more.

With a bright flash of Essence, Rory swings his daiklave at the beastman, causing it to stagger even more. The beastman seems surprised that it is being forced back; probably the first time in its life that it is in danger of getting hurt.

End of Round 5, everyone gets back 5m of Essence

jaydude jaydude is up again.

Round 6
11 - Kuaidao <====
8 - Spider
4 - Rory
2 - Thok

As Thok was sent reeling from his latest blow, Kuaidao did not wait for his opponent to recover. Instead he jumped upwards, and as soon as he was at eye level with the Fae Champion, swung down at his head with Guardian Host, as if aiming to cleave the skull and brain of his foe in two.

[With the Storyteller's permission, I'm pulling the narrative back to Kuaidao's turn in Round 5, and performing a Decisive Chopping Attack on Thok (reducing his Hardness by 2 for that attack), spending 3m Personal Essence to use One Weapon, Two Blows.

Seven successes on the attack roll. Only two on the damage roll. Since Kuaidao's anima is only at Burning right now, his Initiative resets back to three.]
Personal Essence: 0/16

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7

Last edited:
A small splash of crimson blood comes out, but Thok is far from being incapacitated.

Psychie Psychie is up

Round 6
8 - Spider <====
4 - Rory
3 - Kuaidao
2 - Thok -2 health levels

Spider sees the splash of blood that was drawn from Kuaidao's attack and smiles. This thing may be tough, but it is not invulnerable. Lets set it up for a killing blow. She leaps forward, swinging her swords in a powerful strike, trying to knock the beastman off his feet to prepare for a decisive attack later on.
Spending 2m 1wp on Wasp Sting Blur and 5m on my Dex Excellency.
Charm details:
The Lunar’s predatory instincts seize on a flaw in her prey’s defense, striking with lightning speed. She makes an attack with (higher of Essence or 3) bonus dice. If this crashes her target or deals 3+ decisive damage, she reflexively makes a decisive attack against him. She rolls damage equal to the target’s current onslaught penalty — counting onslaught inflicted by the initial attack (but not by itself) — and ignores Hardness. This doesn’t include the Lunar’s Initiative or reset it.

12 successes to hit. Is its DV still 4?

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
I

Willpower: 8 / 6

Peripheral: 42 / 32 / 13

Weapon Damage

Martial Arts, Reaching

Armor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back