• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial by Fire - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Spider grins at the discomfort that the Fae is in. "Aww, watsa matter? Not used to being told that you are a pathetic monster by someone that can rip you apart with their bare hands? Get used to it. It will only get worse when we take your 'champions' and hand you their heads on a pike."

The wave of euphoria from both the surging essence and the alignment of her mind and soul send her so high she can't feel the fear any sane person should when standing before soul-drinking monsters, let alone when taunting them. She isn't certain where the words come from, but her lips are caught up in the rush that carries her along and they continue to come spilling out. "Spider is right," replies Maja, pained, "My sincerest apologies, but we seem to have completely neglected to bring any old women to face you in the arena. Rest assured we would have been sure to first bind and render them unconscious so as not to overtax you. Your reputation for martial prowess precedes you, and we would simply hate to see you embarrass yourself before this esteemed council."

Last edited:
The shocked silence seems to get even quieter, if that is even possible. This time, Maja's words seem to have gotten under the skin of the Speaker as he slowly stands up. "Little one, you obviously are trying to get me to respond to your taunts with violence, but I will not break the peace of this place. You wish to fight? Step into the arena, you by yourself or with your friends and I will drink as you are cut down one at a time."

Rory lets out a loud laugh, drawing all eyes to him. "Aye. We wish to fight you. According to the ancient provisions of the treaty between the clans and your kind, we officially challenge your right to cull our elderly. This ends today. We will stand victorious over the broken, bleeding bodies of your champions!"

The Speaker nods, "Very well. As agreed upon by treaty, we will be at the arena today in one hour to face you. Make whatever peace you need with your gods."

Spider chuckles at the Speaker's words. "Oh, don't worry about us. Its your own people that will be dealt with in short order. Thank you, though! You are too kind to think so nicely of us."

She keeps her grin on her face as she sees the Speaker storm off. "Too bad we can't deal with him. We'll just have to be satisfied with killing off the champions that they field against us."

Kuaidao had at first been a little alarmed at Maja's brazen challenge, but after a few seconds - and seeing Spider adopt a similar attitude - he decided to smile and have faith in his lover's trust in him.

"You're putting a fair amount of pressure on me, you know that?" he said light-heartedly to Maja as he approached her, before gently draping an arm around her waist and giving her a quick kiss on the lips. "Now I feel obligated to effortlessly crush any Fae that dares face me in the duelling arena, lest I make you look bad."

Essence: 2
Personal Essence: 16/16
Peripheral Essence: 30/40

Committed Essence: 10

Willpower: 5
Join Battle: 7 dice
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks
Guardian Host (Orichalcum & White Jade Daiklave): 14 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 15 Damage, Overwhelming 4 (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4) (Lethal, Melee, Chopping)
Straight Sword: 13 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 12 Damage, Overwhelming 2 (+2 Accuracy +9 Damage, +1 Defense, +2 Overwhelming) (Lethal, Melee, Balanced)

Actions
Rush: 10
Disengage: 8

Evasion 4, Parry 7
Soak/Hardness: 11/7 (Dauntless, Soak +8, Mobility Penalty -1, Hardness +7, Attune 5)

Maja melts into the kiss and smiles playfully when he pulls back, "Of course you will. You're chosen of being perfect at everything. Hurry or Spider will have challenged them all without you. Meanwhile, I'll think of all the ways I'm going to reward you for making me look so good." She was cognizant of their audience, but this was only half performative confidence for their benefit. Yes, the spell of fear woven by these monsters had to be broken, but she was certain Kuaidao was going to crush them, and if it wasn't effortless she hoped these barbarians at least had the good grace to make their gratitude all the deeper for it.

Spider finishes off her drink with a deep gulp, then looks over at her comrades. "Are we going to do this as a one-on-one fight, or are we all joining in for a group mash-up? Either way works for me as long as we win."

As everyone gets up from their tables, Rory looks over at Kuaidao and Spider and says, "I can't speak for anyone else here, but I have a personal interest in getting to be able to skewer a few Fae with my Daiklave for all of my people that have been taken by these monsters and drained of their lives, so I have a vested interest in being in on this fight. I want to make sure that I am a part of the effort to free my people from this scourge and help to unite them against the threat of the Deathlords that mass their troops in preparation for the invasion of Creation."

Several people come walking up to your group as you rise from your seats, and one asks, "You are either very brave, or very foolish, to throw yourselves into the arena against the Fae. They are truly monsters, and if it does happen that you lose, do you have any idea of just how bad things will be for us?"

Rory lets out a laugh. "Aye, we may be fools, but we are the fools you have to depend upon to make this tradition of the culling go away. We are faced with a great threat from outside the borders of Creation, and it is imperative that all the clans work together to yank victory from the jaws of certain death. We stand here, Chosen of the Sun and Moon, and we all pledge to stand firm against the Fae to try and unite the clans. Spread the word of what is about to happen. Let all that would be witness to this great day come forth. Now go. We have a battle to prepare for."

The people stare at Rory with wide eyes, then look to the rest of you. "Is this true? That you are here to save us? Oh, please let it be so! We will spread the word to see this happen!"

Spider slaps Rory on the shoulder. "Of course you can be on the field of honor with us. Its not like you haven't earned the right to mete out some justice to the Fae with all the horrors that they have delivered upon your people. We will stand together against them, and we will lay them low with the power of the Sun and Moon at our side." Turning to the people that addressed them, she says, "Gather everyone you can. This battle will be an epic event that your will wish to tell your grandchildren about! Now, lets get to the arena before we arrive late to our own challenge."

Turning his mind away from thoughts of how Maja could be planning to 'reward' him - most of which involved her lying naked on a bed for his benefit - Kuaidao nodded at Rory. "Yes, I think it only fair that you be allowed to play a part in this battle."

That said, he'd turn to follow Spider to the arena, eager to get this fight with the Fae resolved, and in doing so get the people here on their side.

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks
Guardian Host (Orichalcum & White Jade Daiklave): 14 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 15 Damage, Overwhelming 4 (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4) (Lethal, Melee, Chopping)
Straight Sword: 13 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 12 Damage, Overwhelming 2 (+2 Accuracy +9 Damage, +1 Defense, +2 Overwhelming) (Lethal, Melee, Balanced)

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7
Soak/Hardness: 11/7 (Dauntless, Soak +8, Mobility Penalty -1, Hardness +7, Attune 5)

As Rory leads you to the arena, you are able to get your first good look at the structure. It is quite large, with the ground level easily three hundred feet by two hundred feet across, with seating up and around the floor that can fit several thousand people. Word has already begun to spread about the duel, as there are several hundred people in the stands looking out over the field of battle.

The Guardian of the Valley is there, standing in the very center of the auditorium with several Fae standing nearby. In a quiet voice, Rory says, "The Fae's Champions. It looks like we get to choose our opponents. Which ones do you wish to face off against?"

The first is a woman called Sparkling Moonlit Edge, a lithe and deadly female that uses her nimbleness to evade the sword strikes of her opponents and then counter attacks.

"The second is a huge beastman of a horrible nature, seemingly cobbled together from different monsters to make its body. It answers to the name Thok, and I have never heard it speak, just bellow and roar. It uses strength to pound away at its foes, but do not let its great size let you think it cannot move quickly.

"Number three is a Nobleman of the north called Berantram. He fights with a spear, and is probably the smartest of the Champions that the Fae have on their side.

"The fourth one is a mad parody of a court jester, with many limbs coming off of its head in a way to make it look like a colorful jester's hat. It is called Clown by its compatriots, and is known to be able to fight bare handed and can also hurl flaming orbs of Essence at those that dare to stand before it.

"The last one is a tiny thing, even compared to the likes of you, that is called Nimbix. Its power is to be able to duplicate itself into multiple bodies, all fighting as one. Nimbix overwhelms its opponents with sheer numbers.

Spider walks up to the assembled Fae in front of them, eyeing them with a careful eye. She says in a voice loud enough to carry, "Well, lets see here. Who are we going to face off against in this challenge? Rory, Kuaidao and I can handle any three you wish to throw at us. We'll take this battle all the way. From what I see here, I don't anticipate any real challenge from any of these fools."

When Spider says this, the pretty Fae woman slowly walks over to stand in front of her, but to say she walked does not give her credit; she glides. With a smile that shows her predatory nature, she eyes the Lunar before saying, "I will enjoy making you beg for the release of death before I take your heart and bathe in your blood as the light fades from your eyes." She shifts her gaze to take on Rory, and says, "Thok, I think you would do well against this one. He looks big, slow and dumb, depending on his sheer strength to win his fights. He will be no match for you with your power."

The monstrous beastman shouts out, "THOK!" and brandishes a massive sword in one of his four huge arms.

The third Fae, the one called Berantram, stands at ease with his spear in hand and looks at Kuaidao with a scowl. "I suppose this leaves me with you as my prey. Very well." He looks up at the spirit, saying, "Guardian, we have accepted our challenge, and the three of us stand ready. Will you release us from our oath in this arena to do battle?"

With a slow nod, the spirit says, "Very well. This is your arena, and if any leave the boundry, they are automatically disqualified from the match. In order to win, you will have to disable or kill all three of the opposing team. There is no time limit to this; you fight until you win or lose, or yield. If there is any interference from outside the arena grounds, that person will forfeit their lives by my hand. Are there any questions about the rules of the challenge? If not, step back to your starting point and prepare for battle."

If there are no questions for the Guardian, he slowly steps back, motioning for you to take up positions on opposite ends of the arena, putting you all at long range from the Fae.

jaydude jaydude Psychie Psychie

Join Battle rolls, please!

Spider heads off to the starting point along side of Rory and Kuaidao. Taking out her twin blades, she loosens up a bit, stretching and flexing as she prepares for the fight to begin. In a quiet voice, she says to Kuaidao and Rory, "We pick one at a time and eliminate them. Three injured foes pose more of a threat than two healthy targets. I remember that the one with the spear is the most intelligent. He may be a good choice for our first one to hit."
Starting Initiative of 9

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
- 3 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
I

Willpower: 8

Personal: 17
Peripheral: 42 / 32
Committed: 10

Join Battle: 11 +3i successes (+5i for 3m with Sinuous Striking Grace)

Parry: 6 - +1 from the Hundred Rings
Evasion: 4
Resolve: 4
Guile: 1

Natural Soak: +5 - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone
Armored Soak: +8, Hardness +7 - +2 Soak, +1 Hardness from Argent Handshake Mien
Total Soak: +13L - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone, +4 from DBT

Weapon Damage
Paired Moonsilver Short Daiklaves
Attunement: 5m; Type: Light (+5 ACC, +10 DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 4)
Tags: Lethal, Melee, Balanced
Hearthstone slot(s): 2

The Hundred Rings of Hadam-Ul (Moonsilver Dire Chain - Artifact 3)
Attunement: 5m (3m); Type: Medium (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4)
Tags: Bashing, Disarming, Flexible, Grappling,
Martial Arts, Reaching

Armor
Unison - Moonsilver Reinforced Buff Jacket

Wanted to add the pics of the three Fae:

Thok.jpg

Thok, the beastman

Fae.jpg

Berantram

0dbca17d8d5c8560417887022bcfbbc7.jpg

and Sparkling Moonlit Edge

"Defeat in detail. A reasonable tactic to choose." Kuaidao replied equally quietly as he accompanied Spider and Rory to the starting point of the arena. As he did so, he drew the Guardian Host and gave it a few practice swings with both arms, loosening them up and getting his blood pumping.

Once in position, he turned to face the three Fae, his sword hanging loosely by his side. With so much distance between both sides, he didn't see much need to take up a proper guard stance yet.

Starting Initiative of 6.

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7

From your starting positions across the field from each other, you are currently at Long range from the Fae.

Round one. Fight!

Psychie Psychie is up.

Order of Initiative.

9 - Spider
9 - Sparkling Moonlit Edge
7 - Berentram
6 - Kuaidao
5 - Rory
5 - Thok

Taking a moment to stretch and crack her neck, Spider reaches deep into herself and embraces her Essence, tapping into the hidden well of power to bring forth her more primal side, extruding her spider limbs out of her back, preparing herself for battle. As she shifts her body, her clothing changes and flows like water around her, extending its protection to cover her body, granting her extra protection.

With that done, Spider begins to move forward at an easy jog, intent on bringing her foes down.
Argent Handshake Mien (3m): Like two strangers dancing the tango for the first time, Unison and its wearer take the first step in becoming partners as ordinary clothing transforms into battle armor. Upon rolling Join Battle, the wearer may enter this mien to give Unison +2 soak and +1 Hardness. In Argent Handshake Mien, Unison becomes familiar with its wearer, and sends its protective Essence coursing through her chakras to mingle with her own.

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
I

Willpower: 8 / 7

Personal: 17 / 13
Peripheral: 42 / 32 /

Total Soak: +13L - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone, +4 from DBT

Weapon Damage

Martial Arts, Reaching

Armor

Spider spends her Essence and begins to move forward towards the Fae.

Sparkling Moonlit Edge draws her sword, a blade that looks like it is made from a long icicle that has been shaped into a sword. It stays frozen in the warm temperature of the valley through the magic that crafted it. With her sword in hand, she begins to move forward.

She is now at medium range.

The Berentram holds up his weapon and points it at the three of you as he casually walks forward, seemingly to be very relaxed as he prepares for the upcoming fight.

He is now at medium range.

jaydude jaydude is up with Kuaidao

Order of Initiative.

[9 - Spider]
[9 - Sparkling Moonlit Edge]
[7 - Berentram]
6 - Kuaidao <====
5 - Rory
5 - Thok

Round 2
9 - Spider
7 - Berentram

Kuaidao followed Spider's lead; approaching the Fae alongside her, while also calling upon his own essence. A thin aura of pale-gold light came to surround his body, and his muscles swelled beneath Dauntless, his strength increasing in preparation for the approaching clash.

[Moving into Medium Range, and spending 6m Peripheral Essence on Increasing Strength Exercise to bring my Strength up to 5.]

Peripheral Essence: 24/40
Anima: Glowing

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7

Both Rory and Thok advance, the large beastman taking the lead in front of the other two Fae.

You are now all within Short range of one another.

Start of Round 2, and you get your 5m back.

Psychie Psychie is up once more.

Order of Initiative.
Round 2
9 - Spider
7 - Berentram
6 - Kuaidao
5 - Rory
5 - Thok

Last edited:
Spider continues to move forward, her swords in hand, as she angles towards the one man with his spear so that the three of them can focus on eliminating him.

Assuming that she is able to close into range, the Lunar brandishes her swords, lunging out at him in an effort to knock the Fae spearman off his balance.
I'll spend 5m on my Dexterity Excellency, giving me a total 21 dice

17 successes. What's his DV?

DBT and Ardent Handshake Mein active

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
I

Personal: 17 / 17

Weapon Damage

Martial Arts, Reaching

Armor

His DV is 7, and his soak is a 12. Go ahead and roll your damage.

Rolling

9i damage
DBT and Ardent Handshake Mein active

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
I

Personal: 17 / 17

Weapon Damage

Martial Arts, Reaching

Armor

I forgot to subtract the Soak from my roll, so I only do 7i damage after removing the last 12 dice. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back