• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial by Fire - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
During the preparations to abandon the Invisible Fortress, Kuaidao busied himself with loading artifacts and other supplies onto the ship. Seeing the books Spider was taking, he made a mental note to have a look at them himself, wanting to be as mentally prepared for this threat as he could be.

He was a bit more optimistic about the food situation than Maja was. "Any Scarlet Emperor officer with a hint of sense knows how to live off the land to some extent. And from what I gathered, you Lunars are used to surviving in the wild. We should be able to get by well enough, even with Mahina and Milo's men to provide for as well." he said, shortly before Melinda revealed the spell she had.

"Well, that settles it." he said. "Depending on how things are resolved with the imps, I see no further issues with travelling to find Rory's people."

Essence: 2
Personal Essence: 16/16
Peripheral Essence: 30/40

Committed Essence: 10

Willpower: 5
Join Battle: 7 dice
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks
Guardian Host (Orichalcum & White Jade Daiklave): 14 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 15 Damage, Overwhelming 4 (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4) (Lethal, Melee, Chopping)
Straight Sword: 13 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 12 Damage, Overwhelming 2 (+2 Accuracy +9 Damage, +1 Defense, +2 Overwhelming) (Lethal, Melee, Balanced)

Actions
Rush: 10
Disengage: 8

Evasion 4, Parry 7
Soak/Hardness: 11/7 (Dauntless, Soak +8, Mobility Penalty -1, Hardness +7, Attune 5)

With all the books and artifacts loaded onto the ship, it is now time to set sail or else you'll be faced with the very real threat of the Dynast fighting force. Rory makes his way to the front of the ship, reveling in the cold breeze across the bow. "Ey there! The route that I took to get here was quite a hike, and I'm not sure that even this magic boat will be able to handle it. But don't worry your heads at all. I can guide you to my home without a problem. It will just take a bit of a convoluted path to get there." He smiles, looking off into the distance. "Ah, and I'll get to see me wife once more. Oh, such a lovely woman she is! Her hair is like a coat of the softest shimmering silk, her skin a soft porcelain, and her voice is like the spirits themselves singing! I can't wait!"

Everyone, please give me Perception + Awareness rolls.

Kuaidao gave a little chuckle, then headed over to where Maja was, hugging her and giving her a fond smile.

"Well, we're out on the road again, and Rory's not entirely optimistic that this ship will survive." he said, adopting a more lackadaisical manner. "Let's just hope it's a safer course of action than staying and fighting would have been..."

[Rolling Perception + Awareness, and activating Sensory Acuity Prana for 5m Personal Essence. Two successes with double 9's]

Personal Essence: 11/16

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks
Guardian Host (Orichalcum & White Jade Daiklave): 14 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 15 Damage, Overwhelming 4 (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4) (Lethal, Melee, Chopping)
Straight Sword: 13 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 12 Damage, Overwhelming 2 (+2 Accuracy +9 Damage, +1 Defense, +2 Overwhelming) (Lethal, Melee, Balanced)

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7
Soak/Hardness: 11/7 (Dauntless, Soak +8, Mobility Penalty -1, Hardness +7, Attune 5)

Spider smiles at Rory, glad to see that there is such love in Creation like this. "Don't worry, big guy. We will all keep our hands to ourselves." In the meantime, she takes up a position on the ship by the stern, keeping a keen eye out for any signs of trouble coming up from behind.

3 successes on my Perception roll.

Maja snuggles up against Kuaidao and returns the smile. "How could it not? It's thousands of years old! It can fly! It came out of a box! Maybe if you put it back in the box and take it out again it comes out brand new. What's even inside the box?"

In the competition for her attention between Kuaidao and the outside world, only by virtue of the novelty of travelling by flying ship does the world stand a chance. Even with her attention divided between drinking in the details of new places and her new lover her supernaturally keen senses miss little. Like the steady reassuring sound of his heartbeat, or the complex bouquet of his scent, or the - what was she supposed to be paying attention to again?

4m Perception Excellency - When you have 20 mote regen/hr why not throw essence at everything?

Perception 5 + Awareness 3 + Keen Hearing 2 + Stunt 2 + Excellency 4 = 16 dice; 4 hits - well, if I hadn't excellency'd it would have been 2! Clearly Kuaidao is very distracting.

Last edited:
Maja snuggles up against Kuaidao and returns the smile. "How could it not? It's thousands of years old! It can fly! It came out of a box! Maybe if you put it back in the box and take it out again it comes out brand new. What's even inside the box?"

In the competition for her attention between Kuaidao and the outside world, only by virtue of the novelty of travelling by flying ship does the world stand a chance. Even with her attention divided between drinking in the details of new places and her new lover her supernaturally keen senses miss little. Like the steady reassuring sound of his heartbeat, or the complex bouquet of his scent, or the - what was she supposed to be paying attention to again?

4m Perception Excellency - When you have 20 mote regen/hr why not throw essence at everything?

Perception 5 + Awareness 3 + Keen Hearing 2 + Stunt 2 + Excellency 4 = 16 dice; 4 hits - well, if I hadn't excellency'd it would have been 2! Clearly Kuaidao is very distracting.

Kuaidao chuckled, while draping an arm around Maja's waist. "I hate to disappoint you, but I'm pretty sure this ship was the box." he said. "Then again, I'm still getting my head around the concept of a ship that you can literally carry around in your pack..."

Assuming that there was nothing he needed to concern himself with as the ship travelled, Kuaidao would look around the vessel for somewhere he could get some sleep later on.

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7

"Such a beautiful little trick isn't it? Not only was it inside the box, but its weight too was hidden away. There are no end to such wonders that existed in the first age. And to think it was likely only the most mundane survived. It would be like in the next age, and the scions of the Fifth dug up a ladel and stared at it with wonder upon how well it holds water and thought it had some grand ceremonial purpose when instead it was just used to pour water on somebody's back at a bathhouse." Bard would muse as he endlessly tuned the sanxian.

"Oh! And you know, some sea shanties would be perfect for a trip like this. However, I must say that no land shanties happen to pop into my head. I bet they had hundreds when these saled the fractured glacial desert of the north or the swelling goldem dunes the south or zigging and zapping through the labyrinthine jungles of emerald east."

Per+Awareness 7
Successes: 1

With the ship on the way, the Fortress starts to slip out of sight. The folding ship is large enough to fit all of you with ease, even with the few supplies that you have loaded on board. Mahina and Milo generally stick together, Mahina sailing the magic ship and Milo watching over her with a glower on his face. The twelve men that were traveling with the two Dragon Blooded do what they can to make themselves useful, but since the ship is run by Essence, all they need to do is sit back and stay out of the way.

As the ship sails, Rory doesn't stray far from the front of the ship as he points out the best route for Mahina to navigate the ship, regaling all that will listen about how lovely his wife is. With a slight grin, Melinda makes the comment that Rory's wife will either be the most beautiful woman that they have ever seen, or one of the ugliest people in Creation, and the big Solar is living in a land of delusion. Rory either doesn't hear her, or he ignores her.

Soon the mountains that tower over you start to shrink down to be hills, then they fade away into snowy plains, making your trip move along much faster. There are a few small rivers that the folding ship comes across, making its way across them with ease. Now that you are out of the lands that the imps, you begin to see herds of wild animals such as caribou and buffalo, showing you that you have plenty of food available to you, so you know you wont starve.

Even though it is cold, the snow makes for beautiful vistas as you sail towards the lands that Rory's people live in.

Eventually, you can see a few faint plumes of smoke off in the distance, marking that there is some sort of living people up ahead.

"Is that the settlement of your clan?" Kuaidao asked Rory, gesturing to the faraway plumes of smoke, and assuming that the Icewalker Zenith would be able to recognize the landmarks of his homeland.

Kuaidao had spent most of his free time either observing the passing landscapes, conversing with Maja, Bard and Spider, or considering the threat the Circle was likely to face. He'd mostly left Rory to his own devices whenever the other Solar talked about his wife. At first it had been endearing, but eventually it had gotten too repetitive for the Dawn's liking. And besides, he already had a beautiful woman of his own, and thus the temptation to try making Rory a cuckold was all but nonexistent.

He'd also kept an eye on Mahina and Milo during the journey. The two of them at least recognized that the so-called "anathema" were not the enemy here, but that seemed more based in pragmatism than an understanding of the truth. He gauged them carefully, trying to figure out the extent of their feelings. Anything that could be of use in keeping them on his side.

[OOC: Rolling Read Intentions twice, once for Mahina and once for Milo, to discern what Intimacies they have regarding Celestial Exalted. Base Roll is 5 dice, and claiming one-point stunt for two extra dice on each roll. Six successes for Milo, two for Mahina.]

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7

With the sight of smoke on the horizon, Spider heads to the highest point on the ship and looks out towards the smoke in an effort to get a glimpse of what it is that they are approaching.

OOC Spending 3m on my Perception Excellency = 4 successes

With her attention being focused on the ship and navigating it around the various obstacles, it is harder for Kuaidao to get a good read on her motives and thought processes. Milo, on the other hand, does start to open up to the other Exalt. He is feeling very conflicted right now, with his teachings from the Immaculate Order fighting with his own direct observations on the character of the people he is traveling with. On one hand, he is supposed to think that the Celestial Exalted are Anathema, and must be put down for the good of Creation. On the other hand, he has spend a lot of time with you guys, Spider and Bard especially, and has seen for himself that you are not the monsters that he has been taught.

Milo pulls a pipe out of a pouch and packs it with tobacco, then lights it up and takes several puffs before speaking. Finally, he looks over at Kuaidao and says, "If it were not for the fact that we are going to be facing off against the walking dead, I just don't know what I would do. If I were to believe the lessons taught to me by all my teachers, you would be evil incarnate, not the good person that I have seen over the days that we have traveled together. Watching you over these days has been . . . confusing . . . for me. Mahina seems to have fewer doubts than I do, being quite content to go off with you." He shakes his head, taking some more puffs off of the pipe. "I suppose that time will tell if I have made the right decision."

Looking ahead, the amount of smoke coming up seems to be a lot more than what you would expect. Even Rory gives off a frown at the plumes of smoke that can be seen. "Something is not right here. Mahina, lass! Can you get any more speed from this crazy tub?"

She nods. "I will see what I can do." She places her hands on the wheel and closes her eyes for a moment and the ship surges forward even faster than before, racing across the northern plains.

As the ship moves closer, the smoke can be seen rising up from several burning yurts, with people running around trying to put the flames out and fight the attackers that are causing the fires.

Everyone please give me another round of Perception + Awareness rolls.

Spider frowns, immediately going to full alert as she looks out at the fires and running figures. There must be some sort of threat that she can find, and by Luna she will find it.

Only two successes this time.

Three days is a long time to spend in someone's lap fawning over them, and there are limits to what can be done with your handsome new paramour aboard a crowded ship. Maja passes the rest of the time learning Realm games of chance, culture, mannerisms, and a few words of Low Realm from the Dynast's mortal retainers, pestering Melissa with questions about how the boat works, and listening to Melissa and Rory's stories of foreign lands - his homeland being a part of the North she's never visited. She keeps her distance from Kuaidao when he's making peace with the Dynasts to avoid sabotaging his efforts.

With a sufficiently keen nose and the right winds you can smell smoke long before you can see it, and from its scent know what is burning and how much. When Rory sounds the alarm and Spider stands to arms she looks up from the tile placing game and her large pile of chips only slightly padded by sleight of hand, taking a deep breath as her big fuzzy ears stand up tall and swivel towards the commotion.

4m Perception Excellency
Perception 5 + Awareness 3 + Keen Hearing 2 + Stunt 2 + Perception Excellency 4 = 16; 5 hits

Spider and Maja can both see that in the middle of the village there is a large hole, at least thirty feet across, that looks to have been burrowed out of the ground, and people are avoiding that hole like the plague, and it looks very much out of place.

However, Maja can see something that Spider does not. There is a pair of figures that are slowly walking through the village, wearing all black, both armed and armored. One is packing a large ornate bow that has the look of an artifact weapon, and the second has a huge sword that must be a Grand Diaklave. With an almost casual movement, the one with the bow raises it up and fires an arrow at one of the running people, killing him instantly. It is clear that they are not a friendly couple.

Rory may or may not see that, but he is aware that there is trouble brewing. He unlimbers his sword and shield, giving off a snarl as he waits for the ship to bring him closer to the fight.

Melinda comes running up to the prow of the ship to stand next to Rory, and she says, "No, those aren't Dynasts. I think that they are Deathknights! Look at them. No coat of arms or House symbols. All black with Soulsteel armor and weapons. They have to be our foe. Get ready for a fight!"

As the landship comes sailing up, the two figures stop their random carnage and turn to look as Rory leaps from the front of the ship with a roar, brandishing his Daiklave. The two figures don't seem to be impressed.

Join Battle rolls, everyone!

Random Word Random Word Psychie Psychie jaydude jaydude D. Rex D. Rex

Spider leaps down from her spot on the ship, hands reaching for her belt where her artifact chain is wrapped around her waist. If there are agents of the Underworld here, she would deal with them quite decisively.

OOC Is it possible for us to activate some Charms prior to the fight starting? I was hoping to kick in my DBT form. Spending 3m on Sinuous Striking Grace for the +5 initiative.

Total of 14i
Adding another 4m 1wp to activate Hybrid Body Transformation and DBT

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
- 3 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
I

Willpower: 8 / 7

Personal: 17 / 14
Peripheral: 42 / 27
Committed: 10

Join Battle: 11 +3i successes (+5i for 3m with Sinuous Striking Grace)

Parry: 6 - +1 from the Hundred Rings
Evasion: 4
Resolve: 4
Guile: 1

Natural Soak: +5 - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone
Armored Soak: +8, Hardness +7 - +2 Soak, +1 Hardness from Argent Handshake Mien
Total Soak: +13L - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone

Weapon Damage
Paired Moonsilver Short Daiklaves
Attunement: 5m; Type: Light (+5 ACC, +10 DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 4)
Tags: Lethal, Melee, Balanced
Hearthstone slot(s): 2

The Hundred Rings of Hadam-Ul (Moonsilver Dire Chain - Artifact 3)
Attunement: 5m (3m); Type: Medium (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4)
Tags: Bashing, Disarming, Flexible, Grappling,
Martial Arts, Reaching

Armor
Unison - Moonsilver Reinforced Buff Jacket

Last edited:
Unlike the two Lunars, Kuaidao hadn't noticed the pair of Deathknights at first. Once they were called out to him though, he drew the Guardian Host, and thanked the Incarnae that he'd gotten into the habit of wearing his armor on a regular basis. The image of a stylized sun appeared upon his forehead in golden light as he moved to follow Rory and Spider, trusting in Maja and the others to be close behind.

[Rolling Join Battle. I start off with 7 base dice, and I'll spend 5m Peripheral Essence on my awareness Excellency to give me 5 more dice and bring my Anima up to Glowing.

7 successes. Assuming that Sensory Acuity Prana no longer applies due to new scene. My starting initiative is 10.]
Anima: Glowing

-0: [_]
-1: [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_],
-3: [_]
Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7

Last edited:
"What's a Deathkni-?" Maja is interrupted as the adrenaline hits and her soul reacts instinctively to the danger, claws and fangs elongating, eyes changing, tails bursting forth, and the moon burning silver bright on her brow. "Oh. It's real bad, and we kill it. Got it."

Activating Hybrid Body Transformation and reflexively adding Deadly Beastman Transformation (If we can't do this on the boat this will take up Maja's first turn)

4m Wits Excellency
Wits 5 + Awareness 3 + Excellency 4 + Stunt 2 = 14; Only 4 hits for 7i
Health Levels:
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
- 3 [ ][ ][ ]
- Incap

Willpower: 8
Essence: 1
Personal: 17
Peripheral: 26/42
Committed: 7+5(DBT)

Join Battle: 8

Parry: 4 [5 if Grappling] (3/4 in War Form)
Evasion: 1 (0 in war form)
Resolve: 4 [5 if mind-altering magic]
Guile: 4

Natural Soak: 5 (10 in war form)
Armored Soak: 0
Hardness: 0

Weapons:

Unarmed
Withering Attack: Str(5)+Brawl(3) [Grappling(1)] + Accuracy(4) = 12 [13]; Decisive Attack: Str(5)+Brawl(3) [Grappling(1)] = 8 [9]
Withering Damage: 12(1), 17(1) in war form.
Tags: Bashing, Brawl, Grappling, Natural (Lethal + Piercing for Claws + Fangs)

Armor
None

OOC Is it possible for us to activate some Charms prior to the fight starting? I was hoping to kick in my DBT form. Spending 3m on Sinuous Striking Grace for the +5 initiative.
Yes, you have time before the start of the fight to activate a few Charms. Same for you, Random Word Random Word . Your Charms are good to go.

Mahina pulls the magic ship up short as Rory leaps from the prow, his sword in hand. From his position on the midships deck, Milo breaks into a run, heading for the rail to join Rory on the ground. Even so, the two dark-clad warriors do not look concerned. On the contrary, the swordsman seems to be excited at the prospect of getting into a fight with Exalts.

At the moment, the ship is at short range of the two Deathknights, and now that you are closer, you can see the swordsman is wearing heavy plate armor and is wielding a Grand Diaklave, and the bowman is in medium armor with a Long Powerbow in hand and a sword on her belt.

Psychie Psychie is up first with Spider

Initiative Order for Round 1
14 - Spider
12 - DK Swordsman
11 - Rory
10 - Kuaidao
8 - DK Bowman
7 - Maja
6 - Milo
6 - Melinda

Round 2

Last edited:
With an acrobatic leap from the mast, Spider does a flip in mid air and lands on her feet lightly in the snow. Moving with caution, she closes in on the two Deathknights, looking at them with focused interest. This was the first time she had ever seen such Exalts (that she knew of), and was curious as to what to expect from them. Spinning the Hundred Rings in her hands, Spider doesn't waste any breath trying to get them to surrender. As angry as Rory is, it would be pointless. Besides, she wants to see these assholes dead, too.

With a sudden burst of speed, she lashes out with the rings at the Exalt with the bow, expecting that Rory and Kuaidao would be more than enough to deal with the swordsman, and only Luna knows what Maja and the others will do. Spending a few motes of her precious Essence, Spider empowers the weapon with extra speed, trusting that it would be enough to connect with her foe.
Spending 4m on Striking Mospid Method and 5m on Dex Excellency from Peripheral Essence, along with 1 wp for an auto sux

Die Pool: 5 dex + 5 melee + 3 accuracy + 5 excellency +2 stunt
12 successes total

Hybrid Body Transformation and DBT active

Health Levels
- 0 [ ]
- 1 [ ][ ]
- 1 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
- 3 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ]
I

Willpower: 8 / 6

Personal: 17 / 14
Peripheral: 42 (32) / 18
Committed: 10

Join Battle: 11 +3i successes (+5i for 3m with Sinuous Striking Grace)

Parry: 6 - +1 from the Hundred Rings
Evasion: 4
Resolve: 4
Guile: 1

Natural Soak: +5 - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone
Armored Soak: +8, Hardness +7 - +2 Soak, +1 Hardness from Argent Handshake Mien
Total Soak: +13L - +2 from Beast Form Empowerment, +2 from Hearthstone

Weapon Damage
Paired Moonsilver Short Daiklaves
Attunement: 5m; Type: Light (+5 ACC, +10 DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 4)
Tags: Lethal, Melee, Balanced

The Hundred Rings of Hadam-Ul (Moonsilver Dire Chain - Artifact 3)
Attunement: 5m (3m); Type: Medium (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4)
Tags: Bashing, Disarming, Flexible, Grappling,
Martial Arts, Reaching

Armor
Unison - Moonsilver Reinforced Buff Jacket

As the chain weapon flies out, the other Exalt seems to melt into mist, allowing the chain to pass through her without doing any harm, completely evading the attack. Once Spider is able to recover the length of chain, the Exalt with the bow has suddenly vanished! In order to spot where she is, you'll need to make a Perception + Awareness roll.

The Deathknight swordsman gives his blade a sudden shake and you can see droplets of blood come flying off of it, showing that he's been using his weapon to cut down some of the people here in a clear effort to continue to enrage Rory and make him do something stupid in his anger. He drops down into a guard position and holds out one hand towards Rory, egging him on, waiting for the Solar to strike first.

Rory does not disappoint. He charges forward and swings his Daiklave at the Deathknight and looks quite surprised when the other man blocks his blade. In response to Rory's charge, the other man swings his sword so fast, he makes a striking viper look slow. With a laugh, he knocks Rory back on his heels, driving the big Solar off balance. This fellow is moving with surprising grace for wielding a blade that size.

jaydude jaydude is up with Kuaidao

Initiative Order for Round 1
[14 - Spider]
[12 - DK Swordsman]
[11 - Rory]
10 - Kuaidao <====
8 - DK Bowman
8 - DK Blade
7 - Maja
6 - Milo
6 - Melinda

Round 2
22 - DK Swordsman
13 - Spider
2 - Rory

Kuaidao let out a grunt of alarm when the Deathknight with the bow vanished, and the Deathknight with the Grand Daiklave was able to knock Rory back. He ran towards the latter two, before raising Guardian Host and striking at the swordsman.

[Withering Attack against DK Swordsman, no use of Essence. 14 base dice, plus 2 from one point stunt. 8 successes. What's the opponent's DV?]

Anima: Glowing

-0: [_]
-1: [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_],
-3: [_]
Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back