• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial by Fire - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
With an imperious glare and a squawk that brooks no disagreement Maja silences the murder and attunes her supernaturally giften senses to every minute shift in the stagnant cold air wafting out of the large gothic windows in the imposing soulsteel clad edifice. She leads the murder from perch to perch, pausing to casually glance inside each opening before proceeding on to the next, her keen eyes piercing even the most unnaturally deep shadows.

Per 5 + Awareness 3 + Stunt 2 + Excellency 4 = 14 dice, double 9s from keen hearing+sight; 9 hits.

Looking around, Maja spots all the details that Spider has, but with one slight addition. In addition to the soulsteel bits on the central building, there are tiny filaments of the same magical metal running through the city, forming a giant web-like design. These filaments are actually incorporated into the very streets and some of the buildings in some kind of pattern that you have not seen enough of to be able to form a picture in your mind of what it would look like.

"Wherever this city went, it should have stayed there," declares Maja darkly as she lands and resumes her true form in a flash, "It is cursed and wrong and should be destroyed. We should burn it to the ground and go. Send messengers to warn the nearby villages to cleanse the ashes or stay far away."

Spider looks over at Maja and says, "I think that might be a bit extreme until we learn more about this city. What about the people here? Are they alive, and if so, how? This isn't a shadowland, so if they are ghosts, they wouldn't be physically manifest all the time, right?" She looks back and forth to the others, wondering what Rory, Kuaidao and Melinda have to say.

Kuaidao looked unhappy, as if seeing only another delay that would keep him from organizing the northern forces against the Deathlord.

"What you suggest might be necessary, but do we really have time to attend to it ourselves right now?" he asked Maja. "I say we keep going to this flying fortress; we can deal with this place later on."

Essence: 2
Personal Essence: 16/16
Peripheral Essence: 30/40

Committed Essence: 10

Willpower: 5
Join Battle: 7 dice
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -3, Incapacitated
Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks
Guardian Host (Orichalcum & White Jade Daiklave): 14 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 15 Damage, Overwhelming 4 (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4) (Lethal, Melee, Chopping)
Straight Sword: 13 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 12 Damage, Overwhelming 2 (+2 Accuracy +9 Damage, +1 Defense, +2 Overwhelming) (Lethal, Melee, Balanced)

Actions
Rush: 10
Disengage: 8

Evasion 4, Parry 7
Soak/Hardness: 11/7 (Dauntless, Soak +8, Mobility Penalty -1, Hardness +7, Attune 5)

Melinda looks thoughtful, then says, "Well, it would seem that this city has been here for some time, and I doubt that it is going anywhere. I think you might be right that the issues of this place can be set aside for now to put our focus on the flying Citadel. We can always come back to look into the secrets of this city later. What do you wish to do?"

Rory shrugs. "Here and now, or later on, we will find out what this city holds. But we still have the problem of the invasion of the dead to deal with. I say we move on, but I don't speak for all here."

Maja shrugs in reply, "This isn't my land. These aren't my people. This isn't the first evil place in the North, and it won't be the last. I will be glad to see the back of it. I shall warn any village we pass, and may the Spirits do the rest. Let's go."

Spider chuckles, saying, "I think that you are just so excited at the thought of seeing a flying castle that you don't want to wait. Besides, we can always come back and deal with this place later on. I say we go to the Gateway and see the golden streets of the Celestial City on our way to this castle!"

With the city walls fading behind you, Melinda continues to direct the ship to the Gateway. Eventually, you come across a set of ruins, ancient buildings that have collapsed long, long ago. After taking the folding ship and putting it away, the Sidereal leads the group into the ruined buildings with a certain step, feet crunching in the snow. Finally, she comes to a stop at an old stone archway. "We are here. Remember, the Celestial Lions are a prickly bunch, and are not to be trifled with. Use the utmost respect when dealing with them, and remember that you are guests in the Celestial City. They will not bar your entry so long as you do not take hostile action against them."

Stepping up to stand in front of the archway, she says a command in Old Realm and previously hidden runes light up all over the stone arch, and a glowing tunnel can be seen stretching out into the distance. The tunnel is large; roughly thirty feet tall and just as wide, making for plenty of room to all walk through with ease. Inside the tunnel there are three orichalcum lions the size of horses that come waking up to face you. One of the Lions rumbles out, "Ah. I was wondering when you would show your face here again. What is this, Melinda? You are bringing along pets this time?"

She looks the Lion in the eye and says, "Hardly pets. These are Celestial Exalted, and by ancient order from the Unconquered Sun Himself, they are allowed entry into Yu-Shan. You have no reason to bar their entry. Stand aside."

The two continue to banter back and forth, and as they speak, the other two Celestial Lions wander over and look over the Circle carefully, but they say nothing.

What do you do?

While Melinda does her talking and the two Lions look them over, Spider is quiet, keeping her hands away from her weapons to avoid any 'misunderstandings' with these gate guardians. She waits patiently, trusting in their companion to get them in.

Remembering Melinda's warning, Kuaidao kept quiet and respectful at the approach of the Celestial Lions, trusting in the Sidereal to handle things.

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks
Guardian Host (Orichalcum & White Jade Daiklave): 14 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 15 Damage, Overwhelming 4 (+3 ACC, +12 DMG, +1 DEF, OVW 4) (Lethal, Melee, Chopping)
Straight Sword: 13 W. Accuracy, 11 D. Accuracy, 12 Damage, Overwhelming 2 (+2 Accuracy +9 Damage, +1 Defense, +2 Overwhelming) (Lethal, Melee, Balanced)

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7
Soak/Hardness: 11/7 (Dauntless, Soak +8, Mobility Penalty -1, Hardness +7, Attune 5)

What do you wear to visit the city of the Spirits? She hadn't even known the Spirits had a city a few days ago. Did you wear your best finery? She wasn't even sure what her best finery was anymore - the clothing she could conjure seemed limited only by her imagination. All the must sumptuous outfits she'd ever seen in the salons and lodges of Tusk were but a thought away. Was that presumptuous? She didn't want to offend the Spirits in some vain attempt to outshine them. After a dozen outfits and half an hour of agonizing she settled on something fine but understated in black wool and silver thread trimmed with fur. Nice fur. But, like, not too much fur.

Maja fidgets nervously under the incisive gaze of the Celestial Lions, a half step behind Kuaidao. Unable to tolerate the silence and the growing tension, her excitement gets the better of her, the dam of propriety gives way, and words spill forth, "So... is this really where the Spirits live? Like, all of them? Elk and Whitefang and Raven and... oh does Moon live here? Can I see Moon again?"

The two Lions in front of you chuckle at Maja's enthusiasm. One says in a deep, rumbling voice, "So much has been forgotten by the Exalts of this Age. It is a shame."

The second nods in agreement. "Yes, little Exalt, many spirits live in Yu-Shan, even your mighty Luna. Most of the lesser spirits maintain a domain in Creation, but the higher spirits also have a home here, resplendent in wonders your ignorant minds cannot hope to comprehend. What you consider a high palace in Creation is a simple dwelling here, and the greatest of gods have residences that dwarf even the Imperial palace in the Blessed Isle for its grandeur."

Melinda comes walking briskly over. "We have been granted access. Remember that your actions here consequences, so be on your best behavior. Let's go."

The three Celestial Lions step aside and allow everyone to walk down the corridor towards the inner door. As it yawns open, the first thing you see are six more of the huge Lions lounging about on the other side of the Gateway, seeming to be completely at ease but watching all of you very carefully. Rory makes the quiet comment, "I am glad that we didn't start any trouble. I didn't know that there were that many more of these gate guardians waiting inside to stop us."

Looking around, the sights and sounds of the Celestial City hit you like a hammer. Hundreds of spirits and other creatures walk, jump and slither about on their path, moving down streets that do look to be paved in the finest gold. The grand plaza you are standing in is lined with many extravagant buildings and shops, with their vendors hawking their wares for any that will stop and look at what they have to sell. Looking up, you can see that the sky above you is encased in a giant dome, so high up that there are clouds that slowly drift along as airships and other flying creatures pass by. Even the heart of the Imperial City is a beggar's hovel compared to the sights of Yu-Shan.

Melinda stands with you for a moment, letting everyone take in the view with a smile on her face. "You'll never forget your first time here in the Celestial City, no matter how many times you come back over the years. Normally I would let you sightsee a bit, but we should be on our way out of here before we garner more attention than we want. Come. We can take a gondola. It will be much faster than walking."

It seems odd that as you walk through the plaza, you are the ones that are the subject of many curious stares and whispers in a place filled with so many odd beings. Humans must be quite the rare thing here for you to stand out the way that you do. Or perhaps it is because you are the first Celestial Exalts besides the Sidereals to walk these streets in a very long time? Who knows.

Guiding you through the plaza, you spot a canal with glowing silver water that has a bright golden stripe down the center. Next to a pedestrian bridge across the canal is a gondola dock with several of the quaint boats floating, their pilots patiently waiting for passengers. The pilot, a multi-armed humanoid smiles at the group as you climb into his boat, and Melinda slips him a few coins from the pouch at her belt, along with your destination. Moving with practiced ease, the pilot pushes the gondola into the waterway, and the boat begins to accelerate much faster than you would think possible. Soon, you are all racing along at a blistering pace, going much faster than you have ever before.

After racing along for nearly a half-hour, the gondola slows and pulls up to a dock similar to the one you first boarded it at. The pilot gives you all another friendly smile and a tip of his hat, then settles in to wait for his next passengers.

Melinda tells you, "We are near the passageway back to Creation nearest the Citadel. It won't take us long to get there once we take the step back into Creation. Shall we go?"

When they make their way through the corridor into the city proper, Spider is dumbstruck with the view. So many things to look at! The many spirits walking along, the glorious buildings, the sky itself, all amazing! She turns to look over at Melinda and asks, "Is this really where you live?!? It's the most incredible thing I've ever seen!" Gaping unashamedly, she fights the urge to run out into the crowd.

Taking a deep breath, Spider tries to calm herself. "So, now what?"

"Now we go explore! Creation isn't going to end, like, this week, is it?" yells Maja in reply over the roar of the wind whipping through her hair as she leans precariously out over the water, passed whatever enchantment keeps the gondola ride comfortable despite its speed. "We can spare a few days to look around, right? Until sundown at least? Just a little bit? Please?"

Melinda shrugs, saying, "It's up to you. I can show you around a little bit, letting you see some of the wonders of Yu-Shan for a day or two before we head back to Creation. The flying citadel isn't going anywhere." She looks over at Spider, Rory and Kuaidao and asks, "What say you three? Shall I play host to you as we travel about Yu-Shan?"

Rory says, "It don't matter much to me, lass. If the others wish to see the sights, I'm game to do that, too. Or we can just head off to this flying castle and see to it. Either way, I'm fine."

Spider asks, "Just how time critical is this? Do we really have the time to take a day or two in order to look around? If one or two days won't make a difference, I am fine with looking around here, but not at the cost of lives in Creation."

"I agree with Spider. As marvellous as this place is, I'm not sure this is the best time for sightseeing right now, especially when we're so close to our destination already." replied Kuaidao, giving Maja an apologetic smile.

It was somewhat of a sacrifice for him though, to turn down a chance to see the marvels of Heaven in greater detail after experiencing this small taste.

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7

Spider lets out a small sigh. "It is said that duty is heavier than a mountain, and as Exalted, our duty is to all of Creation. Lets go to this flying castle and get a look at what it has going for it. But when this is all said and done, I want to come back here and look around and sight see for a while. So lets get a move on!"

Maja pouts, but relents, looking wistfully at the market and the city beyond. "Okay, fine. I suppose the Spirit city will either be here when we're done, or it won't. And it's hard to be upset about a flying castle," she says, brightening already.

Maja pouts, but relents, looking wistfully at the market and the city beyond. "Okay, fine. I suppose the Spirit city will either be here when we're done, or it won't. And it's hard to be upset about a flying castle," she says, brightening already.
"Once we've dealt with the Deathlords, I'll see about coming here at our own leisure." Kuaidao offered.

Resolve 3, Guile 2

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 4, Parry 7

With a decision made, the Circle makes its way to the exit nearest to the area of Creation that will get you to this flying castle the fastest. At this Gateway, you find another group of six Celestial Lions on this side of the portal, with three more in the tunnel between the two realms. You get some strange looks as you head through, but the Lions don't attempt to initiate contact with you.

Walking through the Gateway into Creation, you are able to see the rolling hills covered in thick greenery, and not a bit of snow in sight. Rory undo's his heavy fur cloak as he fans his face. "Whooo! That is a bracing heat compared to the cool of back home."

Melinda chuckles. "Just be glad that we're not far down south, or you'd roast for sure. We are about two hours travel time from the Citadel. Let us be on our way, and then you can get your first look at the secret castle hidden in plain sight."

Once you break out the folding landship, your travel across the plains is quick and uneventful. As you travel, Melinda directs you towards a massive floating mountain. She points up at the huge pile of rock and says, "There. Buried under all of that rock and rubble is the Titan flying citadel. We just need to find some way to get through it to find a way inside, and then you can see some of the true wonders of the First Age. There is also the issue of the people living on the mountain. But they won't be much of a challenge to us, and in reality, they may come in handy."

Rory shades his eyes as he looks up at the mountain. "Uh, just how are we going to get up there? Anyone have any ideas?"

Maja's eyes light up and she wraps herself around Kuaidao's arm, "Oooh yes! And they'll throw a huge party for us! And all the Spirits will be there, even Moon, and all the street vendors will have to give us something for free, and -" She comes up short as they exit the portal and Melinda points out the mountain floating serenely in the sky. If that's two hours away, then that must be... well, it must be big. Really big. "Uh-" Her overwhelmed brain aborts its first attempt at a sentence. "That is -" The second attempt doesn't go much better. "I don't think -" Finally she gives up and simply stares in slackjawed awe.

She is brought back to Creation by the sounds of Melinda unpacking the ship, which prompts her lean in to kiss Kuaidao on the cheek, grinning madly. "Race you to the top!" she declares, vanishing in a quicksilver flash to emerge as an osprey and take wing, soaring upwards on a thermal.

Spider looks up at the flying mountain and her eyes get wide. "You say that the castle is inside all that? How are we going to get to it, if it is buried in tons and tons of rock? And what do you know about the people living up there? Are they going to be open to us arriving there, or are they going to be hostile to us?"

Melinda says, "I can cast a spell that will teleport us up to the surface of the mountain, but it looks like Maja is already on her way. The people on the side of the mount will be a bit surprised to see us up there, since there is no easy way for people down here to get up to the mountain. So long as we are polite with them, we shouldn't have any difficulty with dealing with the locals."

Rory nods. "Aye. I can be sweet as sugar when I need to. How close do we need to be for you to cast this spell?"

"A little bit. I have to be able to either know my destination well, or be able to see where we are going to appear before casting it safely. I have a magic item that can let me see at a distance, so I can find a clear spot to make our appearance. At this speed, it won't take long to close in enough. We can then pack up the ship and meet Maja up on the side of the mountain."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back