• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Trial by Fire - IC Thread

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Maja returns to her human form, steals a quick kiss - "I win," she offers by way of explanation - then steps up to the entrance to the cave. "It's rude to enter someone's home unannounced." She cups her hands around her mouth and calls into the cave, "Rhabwar! It is the Chosen from earlier. We would like an audience, if it please you." Her etiquette tutor was wrong. Something he said did stick. Maja sits down on a nearby rock to see if they receive a response.

Last edited:
Kuaidao chuckled, remembering the agreement the two of them had made earlier, before sitting down next to Maja in order to wait.

Maja returns to her human form, steals a quick kiss - "I win," she offers by way of explanation - then steps up to the entrance to the cave. "It's rude to enter someone's home unannounced." She cups her hands around her mouth and calls into the cave, "Rhabwar! It is the Chosen from earlier. We would like an audience, if it please you." Her etiquette tutor was wrong. Something he said did stick. Maja sits down on a nearby rock to see if they receive a response.
From inside the cave, a set of heavy shuffling feet can be heard coming your way. Soon, the large shaggy form of Rhabwar can be seen coming into the light outside. He looks about, then down at Maja and Kuaidao. "I greet you once more, Exalts." The large figure shifts around to sit on a fallen tree, putting him at eye level to you. "You have either failed to find what you seek, or you have found it and now you are looking for something else. What brings you to me?"

Slowing down, Spider looks for a spot in the trees that is wide enough for her to be able to land and resume her human form. That done, she says to Bard, "It is likely that the campfire we saw is our quarry, since Sesus Lahor's group is much larger, and would need more than a single campfire to keep warm. Lets go be sociable."

Slowing down, Spider looks for a spot in the trees that is wide enough for her to be able to land and resume her human form. That done, she says to Bard, "It is likely that the campfire we saw is our quarry, since Sesus Lahor's group is much larger, and would need more than a single campfire to keep warm. Lets go be sociable."
Bard nodded. "Yes, let's." He agreed. Ready to go down and get this all started. And hope that he doesn't get his head chopped off for a ballsy strategy.

Maja rises as she hears Rhabwar's approach, bowing as he exits the cave. "Honoured Spirit. Yes, we found it. It's beautiful. Thank you so much for your help. We come before you now because the Dynasts are coming dangerously close to discovering the fortress, and we intend to meet them in battle," Maja says with the best brave face she can muster. "They made no secret of their intent to kill you as well, and so we hoped you might stand with us. If not, at least you know there will be a battle - I won't blame you if you want to skip town for a while."

Kuaidao and Maja

Rhabwar lets out a low rumble deep in his throat. "I have been hunted before, even by these Dragon Blooded. That does not worry me." He pauses for a moment, then narrows his eyes as he looks between the two of you. "But you would not be here if it were just a simple hunter, looking to bag some game. Hrrmm. You also have said that there is a pending battle? What kind of a battle can there be that you are looking for allies for it?"

Spider and Bard

Setting down in a clearing large enough to fit your wingspan, Spider resumes her human form after Bard slips off of her back. Heading off towards the source of the smoke, it takes you roughly forty five minutes to get close enough to start hearing sounds of voices coming through the trees, helping to guide you closer. Soon after that, you come to the edge of a campsite for a medium sized group of people, numbering probably twelve people. At least eight of them are obviously mortal guards, and V'neef Mahina can be seen moving about as they work to pack away the few items of the campsite that still are lying about.

One of the other people in the camp is standing near to Mahina, a tall man in jade armor under his heavy cloak and carrying a Direlance in his hand, held in an easy grip as if he is not expecting any trouble. But just before you break through the tree line, he snaps his head over to look at the two of you, his grasp on his lance suddenly much more secure. He then says, "Sister, we have visitors."

Mahina turns her attention to follow his gaze, and she places a reassuring hand on the shoulder of the man. "Be at ease, Milo. These two are under my employ as scouts, having left early to get a good look up ahead of our trail." At this, the various soldiers with her begin to relax their guard, along with the man with Mahina. She motions to the two of you to approach. "Come and warm yourselves by the fire. I'm sure you are cold, even in your furs. Care for a cup of tea to help warm your innards?"

Maja gives Rhabwar a blank look for a moment before pausing to consider exactly what kind of battle it would be. "Well," she says thoughtfully, "A mysterious woman said there would be a battle for the fate of Creation, but I'm fairly certain that's not this one. At least I hope not. We don't have, um, an army or anything. I guess it isn't that kind of battle. There are maybe a dozen Princes of the Realm and they have soldiers. Bard was thinking of making a deal with those strange little demons Kal Bax enslaved, so maybe we will have some soldiers too. I hate that they're trapped here, but I don't think they belong in Creation, either."

Spider and Bard

Setting down in a clearing large enough to fit your wingspan, Spider resumes her human form after Bard slips off of her back. Heading off towards the source of the smoke, it takes you roughly forty five minutes to get close enough to start hearing sounds of voices coming through the trees, helping to guide you closer. Soon after that, you come to the edge of a campsite for a medium sized group of people, numbering probably twelve people. At least eight of them are obviously mortal guards, and V'neef Mahina can be seen moving about as they work to pack away the few items of the campsite that still are lying about.

One of the other people in the camp is standing near to Mahina, a tall man in jade armor under his heavy cloak and carrying a Direlance in his hand, held in an easy grip as if he is not expecting any trouble. But just before you break through the tree line, he snaps his head over to look at the two of you, his grasp on his lance suddenly much more secure. He then says, "Sister, we have visitors."

Mahina turns her attention to follow his gaze, and she places a reassuring hand on the shoulder of the man. "Be at ease, Milo. These two are under my employ as scouts, having left early to get a good look up ahead of our trail." At this, the various soldiers with her begin to relax their guard, along with the man with Mahina. She motions to the two of you to approach. "Come and warm yourselves by the fire. I'm sure you are cold, even in your furs. Care for a cup of tea to help warm your innards?"

Dusting snow off his furs as he did, Bard entered the camp as if he was one of them. "My dear Mahina! Some tea would be very lovely right now. It was a long and cold journey, but I think you will be pleasingly surprised at what I have to say."

Bard shivered and drew closer to the fire. "I got here much earlier than expected, haven't I? What has it been? Two days? Three? Sooner than we agreed on surely. Hohoho, we found it. The manor in all its splendor."

From his back, Bard pulled the sanxian from his back, showing it to her as proof. As he plucked a few of its exquisitely tuned strings, he began to play, setting the mood as he launched into a story.

He began the tale with a meeting of the yeti, and how they convinced it to let them through, explaining that it was a spirit of these mountains. Bard told of the coming to the border and the state of the strange contrast between healthy and unhealthy land. He explained their discovery of the goblins, telling of their harrowing encounter and how he had convinced them to take them to their Queen, as big as a house she was! He told of his battle of wits with the demons and was able to deduce their displeasure of service at the anathema and proposed their freedom in return for safe passage. Bard then launched into description of the barrier that shrouded the manor in Invisibility, and how they stumbled into the manor itself. He told stories of how it kept the demons at bay, how it was a fortress prepared against any siege. He spoke of ghosts of anathema, locked vaults and crypts filled with deadly traps. How he and his party bravely navigated the trickiest pitfalls the anathema could throw at them.

Of course... Bard really did emblish things to make himself seem much more impressive than the leisurely stroll really was. But he couldn't help it. This was his element. Just as he used to tell stories at the bars of his island, here he was at a campfire. Spinning a yarn into a tapestry of a grand and romantic adventure. The story of a willful and handsome Dynast (himself of course) put himself through dangerous trials to prove himself to a woman whom he was smitten by (Mahina). The music swelled at dramatic moments and his voice projected clearly to all who took interest in his story. Looking them in the eyes and making emphatic gestures to make his points. Bard played to the crowd, telling jokes for levity and building up suspense at times of danger. Indeed, Bard made himself and his circle seem like they came right out of an epic, holding true to the hearty adventurers that they originally sold themselves on.

"...And so it was that Spider was able to pick up your trail. If not for her, we might have been left wondering for a couple more days until finding you."

Bard played a final few notes, giving Mahina a wink and a grin as the music and story came to an end.

( Sherwood Sherwood
I would like to build on the minor positive tie Mahina has to make it major, and maybe instill a positive tie of admiration to the rest of the dynasts forces who were listening. I would also like to be using the storytelling as a stunt)

Kuaidao decided to help Maja out on this matter. "The Dragon-blooded in question are of the Scarlet Empire, from which I previously defected. Their nation is one built upon demonizing the Solar and Lunar Exalted, the rightful protectors of Creation, and they seek to claim the Invisible Fortress and any artifacts within it for themselves. My companions and I intend to use the fortress as a bulwark from which to repel them from this region. If we can drive them back, they may never return to this part of the world, and subsequently leave us in peace."

"I won't lie and claim your support would be essential for our victory here, but I do believe it would help us obtain it." he added, wanting to be upfront and truthful with Rhabwar. "I understand if you consider yourself a neutral party in this upcoming conflict. But as Maja here indicated, we believe that there is an approaching threat to Creation that we will have to face in time, one far worse than the Dragon-blooded around Wangler's Knob. The less time and effort we have to spend on dealing with the Scarlet Empire, the more of both we can devote to other matters."

"So I ask you; would you be willing to fight alongside us? If not, I ask that you explain why."

Bard and Spider

The two of you sit down and enjoy a nice hot cup of tea, and then Bard begins his epic tale of how you found the Invisible Fortress and the many trials you suffered on your way. Mahina seems to be quite enthralled by your story, smiling, leaning forward and listening intently as Bard talks and plays. Once you are done, she sits back and applauds. "Masterful performance! I am very impressed that you were able to come through the many pitfalls and challenges to make it back out to meet me. I told you, Milo, that I had a good feeling about hiring these two on!"

Milo, the other Dragon Blood in the party, nods. "Yes, sister, you are right again. No need to rub it in. I look forward to seeing what mysteries are locked away in that place. The old Exalts from the First Age would frequently make challenges that require Essence to bypass. Who knows what treasures are hiding there, just waiting to be found?"

As the storytelling wraps up, the guards start back on the task of packing up the last of the things in the camp. One of the men offers up a bow to Milo and Mahina, "M'Lord? M'Lady? We are ready to move out at your pleasure."

At this, Mahina stands and brushes off her backside from the snow she was sitting in and nods. "Excellent. Tell me, how long will it take for us to make our way to this hidden place?"

Kuaidao decided to help Maja out on this matter. "The Dragon-blooded in question are of the Scarlet Empire, from which I previously defected. Their nation is one built upon demonizing the Solar and Lunar Exalted, the rightful protectors of Creation, and they seek to claim the Invisible Fortress and any artifacts within it for themselves. My companions and I intend to use the fortress as a bulwark from which to repel them from this region. If we can drive them back, they may never return to this part of the world, and subsequently leave us in peace."

"I won't lie and claim your support would be essential for our victory here, but I do believe it would help us obtain it." he added, wanting to be upfront and truthful with Rhabwar. "I understand if you consider yourself a neutral party in this upcoming conflict. But as Maja here indicated, we believe that there is an approaching threat to Creation that we will have to face in time, one far worse than the Dragon-blooded around Wangler's Knob. The less time and effort we have to spend on dealing with the Scarlet Empire, the more of both we can devote to other matters."

"So I ask you; would you be willing to fight alongside us? If not, I ask that you explain why."
Rhabwar rumbles in his throat again, then bares his teeth in what you think is a grin. "I have fought in many wars in the past, and take no pleasure in killing like that. But there are times it is necessary to do so. I have fought on the side of the Solars before, and I look forward to the day that the true rulers of Creation can once more take their place in the halls of power. Yes, I will join your cause, but I do not know exactly how much I can do for you, but I will do what I can."

Kuaidao clasped his hands and bowed in gratitude. "You have my utmost thanks for your support." he said. "And I've no doubt you'll be of use to us, if you've dealt with Dragon-blooded before."

By his reckoning, they had at least a few days before the bulk of the Realm's forces got to the Invisible Fortress. More than enough time to make plans.

The Dawn Caste looked to his lover. "What do you reckon we should do now? Head back to the fortress? Or try and see how the others are getting on?"

Bard and Spider

The two of you sit down and enjoy a nice hot cup of tea, and then Bard begins his epic tale of how you found the Invisible Fortress and the many trials you suffered on your way. Mahina seems to be quite enthralled by your story, smiling, leaning forward and listening intently as Bard talks and plays. Once you are done, she sits back and applauds. "Masterful performance! I am very impressed that you were able to come through the many pitfalls and challenges to make it back out to meet me. I told you, Milo, that I had a good feeling about hiring these two on!"

Milo, the other Dragon Blood in the party, nods. "Yes, sister, you are right again. No need to rub it in. I look forward to seeing what mysteries are locked away in that place. The old Exalts from the First Age would frequently make challenges that require Essence to bypass. Who knows what treasures are hiding there, just waiting to be found?"

As the storytelling wraps up, the guards start back on the task of packing up the last of the things in the camp. One of the men offers up a bow to Milo and Mahina, "M'Lord? M'Lady? We are ready to move out at your pleasure."

At this, Mahina stands and brushes off her backside from the snow she was sitting in and nods. "Excellent. Tell me, how long will it take for us to make our way to this hidden place?"

Bard grinned his thanks, regardless of who it was, he always appreciated appreciation. After all! Such was the very purpose of telling stories. "Thank you, my dear. Thank you very much. Your words warm me to the bone, and goodness knows how great that feels in this cold." He said with a wink.

"Well, let's see... I would not recommend the path that we took from it. But if I have my bearings right, the route we took to get to the manor shouldn't be far from here. I'd say, perhaps upwards of two days. A bit longer trek, but we would be in much better condition to handle the manor."

Bard let out a tired sigh and laugh,"Beside's, the first day has some easy terrain. And by the grace of the Dragons I can use that right now."

Bard drained the rest of his tea, and scooped up some snow so as to wash out the tea stains. "But I do not wish to get you behind schedule. We can talk as we walk. By the way, whats our party here?" He asked, doing a quick rough count. To get an idea of what sort of pace to expect.

"Thank you, Honoured Spirit," Maja says with a grateful smile.

She pauses to consider Kuaidao's question. "I don't think Bard needs an audience for his, umm, 'mission'," she covers her mouth with a hand to hide her giggle. "Is there really nothing more to be done to prepare for the battle?" she asks, uncertain.

"I would like to discuss our battle plans with the imps, but obviously we can't do that until Bard and Spider get them on our side." he said. "Before then, I'd like to look around and see where Sesus Lahor and his forces currently are. I imagine it'll take them at least a few days to reach the fortress from Wangler's Knob, but I doubt any of us want to be surprised by them suddenly appearing on our doorstop."

He turned to the spirit. "Rhabwar, have you seen any signs of an approaching army nearby? As in, men scouting the area or foraging for supplies?"

Bard grinned his thanks, regardless of who it was, he always appreciated appreciation. After all! Such was the very purpose of telling stories. "Thank you, my dear. Thank you very much. Your words warm me to the bone, and goodness knows how great that feels in this cold." He said with a wink.

"Well, let's see... I would not recommend the path that we took from it. But if I have my bearings right, the route we took to get to the manor shouldn't be far from here. I'd say, perhaps upwards of two days. A bit longer trek, but we would be in much better condition to handle the manor."

Bard let out a tired sigh and laugh,"Beside's, the first day has some easy terrain. And by the grace of the Dragons I can use that right now."

Bard drained the rest of his tea, and scooped up some snow so as to wash out the tea stains. "But I do not wish to get you behind schedule. We can talk as we walk. By the way, whats our party here?" He asked, doing a quick rough count. To get an idea of what sort of pace to expect.
Spider and Bard

It is quickly apparent that V'neef Milo is not as keen on Bard as is his sister, and he does not seem to like a 'mere mortal' talking to one of the Exalted with such familiarity. But Mahina is obviously in charge of the two, so he does not raise any objections openly. With the last of the camp packed up, the whole lot of you set out at a good pace through the snow. The amount of effort that it takes to do so is considerable, showing you that the men with Mahina are all in good shape to be able to handle it.

The party trudges through the wilderness without much talking; the struggle to make it through the snow is enough that there is not much air left in your lungs to have idle chit-chat. Only Milo and Mahina seem to have little trouble, and of course, the two of you have Exalted endurance, so you are doing much better than the servants and guards with the two Dynasts. At the pace you are setting, it will not be long before you are at the outer edge of the demon lands.

"I would like to discuss our battle plans with the imps, but obviously we can't do that until Bard and Spider get them on our side." he said. "Before then, I'd like to look around and see where Sesus Lahor and his forces currently are. I imagine it'll take them at least a few days to reach the fortress from Wangler's Knob, but I doubt any of us want to be surprised by them suddenly appearing on our doorstop."

He turned to the spirit. "Rhabwar, have you seen any signs of an approaching army nearby? As in, men scouting the area or foraging for supplies?"
The spirit looks over at Kuaidao and slowly nods. "I have seen more people in these mountains besides the regular bunch of trappers, most of them seem harmless enough. But there are a few that have a certain bit of steel to them, and I could tell that they were not just a handful of treasure hunters or fur traders. The pair I was watching were skilled enough in being able to survive in the wilderness, but it was not enough to save them. They tasted quite good."

While they march through the snow, Spider will do her best to keep the true level of her endurance and strength concealed from the Dynasts and their henchmen. No sense in giving themselves away from something as silly as that.

To be honest, Bard wasn't looking forward to trekking through all this snow again. He wasn't a big fan of the cold, coming from a tropical climate himself. So he kept himself busy chatting with the others to keep his mind off things. Distracting them as well as himself.

Though before they got too far, Bard fell back with Spider, so that it was just him and her and whispered. Psychie Psychie "This Milo, her brother. Mahina may be starting to like me, but he isn't. See if you can keep him busy if ever I can get some private time with Mahina... also, if any a situation arises where things get physically intense... I dont want Milo getting hurt. He is Mahina's brother. I dont how well their relationship is... but I'd rather not risk hurting her that way."

Moving along the day, Bard hung out with the soldiers some. Getting to know them, and telling jokes and joining in on their complaining. Snow sucked. Hiking sucked. My feet hurt. My beard is growing icicles. Perfectly relatable. So many of the elites complained about whiners (ironic), but Bard had been around enough taverns and sailors to know that complaining was a prime way for the blue collar folk to blow off some steam. Great conversations starters and plenty of humorous stories to come from it.

Bard would eventually trudge his way up to Milo and Mahina. Giving the latter an affectionate smile. Trying to get closer to them socially, and emotionally, Bard opened up. Telling them about himself. After all, an adventurer such as himself couldn't have just a mundane background. He told them of his parents, Iselsi Maraba and Nellens Nori. He spun a tale of a tragic romance, that of two dragon-blooded lovers who defied the wishes of their parents and held their relations in secret. Visiting each other in creatively more covert ways every time, and dodging spymasters around every bend. But alas, it was a relationship that was doomed, for they were eventually discovered as Iselsi Maraba became pregnant. It was a big todo between the families, for Iselsi family blamed Nellens for conspiracy and political scheming, to create unfair shackles in which to destroy the family further and dilute their families dragon blood. And Nellens blaming the Iselsi for purposefully trying to ruin the honor and reputation of their family by forcing them to be linked to a dishonored house. It was an ugly scandal the affair had caused, that nearly ruined relations between the families entirely. But Nellens Nori was a clever man, clever and unrelenting. Together with Maraba, he hatched a plan to convince their parents to settle down and sweep this under the rug. He knew that neither family would want the child. For the child's safety, he convinced them that it should be considered a bastard, to be of neither family and sent far away from the Blessed Isle. With Nellens spending a great portion of his fortune to sweep things under the rug and erase record of the child and the affair.

It was a cold hearted manuever that pleased his family, believing he was taking responsibility. But Iselsi Maraba knew differently. Nori still loved her, and the child. And had instead organized a way for the child to be raised well in secret. Away from the eyes of their families, where they could see him as they could. The child was named Rito, and grew up on a lovely island. Where he got to swim and fish and dive for pearls. Where he learned tales of adventure from passing sailors and learned the songs of a dozen lands. This Rito had the best teachers and learned ways both martial and musical. While this boy was a disowned by both houses, he took his mother's name. Sure it wasn't official, but his parents approved. But soon enough the boy would grow... and it remained to be seen if dragon blood would manifest in the rogue scion... or what the families would do if it did...

Bard stopped the story there! Purposefully leaving it on a cliffhanger. After all, it would be better if they had to question if he was dragon blooded or an exceptional mortal. Bard having shown off the artifact sanxian earlier, if they recognized it as one, should have lended credence to his subtle suggestions. And his interactions with them to get them to be more open and friendly around them. As soon as night fell, and they could make camp, is when Bard planned to make his move. But right now, friendly chatter!

"But I've rambled enough about me...." Bard concluded in a laugh, "So tell me of yourselves! Master Milo, Mistress Mahina. What's your stories?"

Dex+Stealth+Stunt
4 sux

Users who are viewing this thread

Back