• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Trial by Fire - Exalted 2e OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
I use it for SXP in 3E games. Full Limit Break, anyways. Otherways it belittles character agency as written.

I use it for SXP in 3E games. Full Limit Break, anyways. Otherways it belittles character agency as written.
That doesn't bother me, as far as I'm concerned it should take away a character's agency. I feel each time a full limit break occurs (though I've never experienced/seen it in a game) the Storyteller should dictate the character's actions (preferably not narrating any of it that the other characters weren't present for) so that when the character awakens from it they (and player) have no memory of their actions and must piece it together (kind of like The Hangover).

What is SXP? I only flipped through my E3 book once or twice, and don't remember what it stood for.

Solar XP is essentially the same as XP, but it cannot be spent on Solar Charms. It's intended to be earned on a player by player basis as a roleplay bonus for playing to the caste, the team, or intimacies.

Also, usurping player agency in what happens with their character is never something I would be comfortable with on either side of the table. I loathe it, but it is what it is, I reckon.

I'll admit that sounds like an interesting xp system. I suppose I could see where the SXP would be useful for that purpose, allowing players to control their character's actions during a Limit Break, while providing an xp incentive to keep them from downplaying the negative effects.

I get what you're saying with player agency, and so far I've been lucky enough to avoid doing such things in games I've run. I guess my biggest worry in such a situation would be having a character suffer limit break, but then the player plays it out in as minimalist a fashion as possible to avoid negative in-game consequences. Perhaps I'm not giving players enough trust or credit on those situations though. I don't know, again I've been lucky enough not to have to make such a decision throughout all the GMing I've done.

I'll admit that sounds like an interesting xp system. I suppose I could see where the SXP would be useful for that purpose, allowing players to control their character's actions during a Limit Break, while providing an xp incentive to keep them from downplaying the negative effects.

I get what you're saying with player agency, and so far I've been lucky enough to avoid doing such things in games I've run. I guess my biggest worry in such a situation would be having a character suffer limit break, but then the player plays it out in as minimalist a fashion as possible to avoid negative in-game consequences. Perhaps I'm not giving players enough trust or credit on those situations though. I don't know, again I've been lucky enough not to have to make such a decision throughout all the GMing I've done.
It's never come up in a game I've played mostly because limit only really accrues when you act out of character relative to virtue ratings or have to spend will to resist supernatural mental influence. Most players stick to character and most GMs I played with avoid mind controlling pics. Hence no limit breaks.

FWIW though here's the criteria from my house rule document.

Limit Breaks
Limit break for solar exalted is intended to represent exaggerated uncontrollable reactions to the exalts psychological stresses. How/when the limit break manifests is determined by both the player and storyteller. Solar XP is rewarded cumulatively by the
following criteria:
2 – The limit break reveals something about the character’s mental disposition.
2 – If the limit break introduces tension into the relationship between two player characters, both characters get this reward.
2 – if the limit break creates interesting developments in the story’s plot. Other player characters get 1 solar xp if this reward qualifies.
2 – If the limit break negatively impacts the level of a social background (backing, contacts, cult, influence, etc.). This reward is per dot of temporary change. Other player characters receive this reward if their association with the limit breaking character causes them to lose access to
background dots. Note that the loss or damage of relationships from limit breaks must be repaired through roleplay, otherwise they are permanent.

Last edited:
So, at what point are we going back to the Flying Tower? I want to give this girl that shot me a good swift kick in the teeth.

I was just waiting for the interrogation scene to wrap up. It did take you a few hours to get your new eyes, so Annika, Sirocco and Heaven have some time on their hands.

Sure. We'll wrap that up shortly, and have the Circle back together soon.

I'm ready to end the questioning, or at least this part of it, whenever you guys are.

My laptop cooling fan just died on me, but I still have my tablet to post on. I'll just be a little slower in my replies.

Later on, I'm thinking about taking some points in the Abyssal's Spies background. Obviously the dots wouldn't represent how much of a Deathlord's Creation-spanning network Annika gets access to, but instead would indicate the size and reach of a spy network established and managed by Annika herself. Of course, seeing as she's the one responsible for the whole thing, Annika would need an equal amount of dots in Backing, Influences or Resources to support it. Does that sound fair?

Hey. Is there something going on? No-one's posted for a few days.

We've got a hurricane down here in North Florida, so the past few days we're busy with prep and now internet access has been infrequent.

Sorry it took me so long to post here. I was distracted, and I promise to try and not let it happen again. Lets get our Exalted fix going!

Haha, that I did! We got pretty lucky in Tallahassee, not hit anything near as bad as what they got west of us in Panama City and Mexico Beach. We had a slew of downed trees and no power for most of the week, but the house stayed intact so I really can't complain. :)

As for LowRollLyfe, he's had a lot going on IRL that's tying up his time. I'll text him about it tomorrow morning and see if he plans to get online and post soon or if he needs to cede his place in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back